BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-08-17 5:52 AM
in reply to: #3047211

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!

---------------ANATOMY OF A FLAWED FLAT-TIRE REPAIR (a melodrama in six acts)-------------------

ACT ONE -- STOP AND REMOVE WHEEL
What went wrong:
I first heard something suspicious at the back wheel before mile one, as if I had run over sowmthing that stuck to the wheel for about five seconds. I maybe should've stopped right there and checked, but heck -- I had just started the ride! Over the next five minutes I felt I was working too hard against resistance, but becasue the tire wan't thumety-thumping, I didn't equate my problem to that. I guess I was thinking wind, or that it wasn't my day to feel powerful on the bike. Partway up a long hill I realized that the tire was losing pressure, confirmed by galncing down and seeing some flatness. I knew I doidn't want to stop on the hill, partly because the guard rail was right next to the shoulder, partly because it is tough to get going again on a hill. So I struggled on, but the hill kept winding --- and I kept struggling harder. Up ahead I saw a spot where the guard rail tapered away, and I turned sharp in there - forgetting to unclip. Soo, I tumbled and got scraped. In hindsight I should've stopped earlier and just worked on the other side of the guardrail.
What went right:
Once I got extricated from my bike, I did the smart thing by shifting to my small ring and my smallest cog, which is the easiest configuration for removing a rear wheel. So, the actual removal of the wheel was fast.

ACT TWO -- TAKE OUT THE TUBE
What went wrong:
As my tire was not fully deflated, I knew that I should deflate it further. This makes removal easier as there is less tension on the tire/tire interface, and therefore more room in which to insert the tire levers. So, I did the teeny unscrewing of the valve and depressed it and heard air escape -- but not enough. I got lever #1 in real fast and anchored it, but struggled mightily with lever #2. Eventually I didn't even anchor that one -- just used it, via brute force, to pry the tire from the rim by going around as you're supposed to. It wasn't until I got the tire off the rim on one side and reached in to grab the tube that I realized I hadn't gotten near enough air out of the tube. Doh! Plus, the tube had kind of adhered to the inside of the tire, so I had to work at this a bit.
What went right:
Instinct to deflate the tube, but just didn't do it enough

ACT THREE -- PUT IN NEW TUBE
What went wrong:
It ehlps greatly to blow into the new tube to give it some roundness before inserting it. I did that, but not enough. It had some shape, but a few more breaths would've helped. I've replaced tubes often enough so I know that sometimes it goes smoothly, other times you think you get it all in....and the part on the other side of the wheeel has come out. This was the latter case, and it just took longer than it should've. ALSO, I did not take the time to run my fingers around the inside of the tire to see if any sharp bits were lodged in there. This is essential, and I forgot to do it. (However, not doing saved me time, I guess....)
What went right:
At least I remembered to blow into the tube to give it shape - just not quite enough. I also remembered, once I got the tire secured onto the rim with my fingers, to give a poke upward on the valve. This pushes inward any part of the tube that might be caught between the rim around the valve, which is a prime area for "pinch" flats.

ACT FOUR -- INFLATE
What went wrong:
I only use the nozzle/trigger part of the CO2 dispenser, not the hand coverer (i don't mind the blast of cold), but I fogot to depress the red "safety" before I put the nozzle on the valve. So, in my fumbling, I squeezed the trigger before it was fully attached, and lost a lot of air. This led to having to use my second CO2 cartridge. Furtehr time was lost here collecting myself and making sure I did it all correctly this time!
What went right:
Having a second CO2 cartridge!!!

ACT FIVE -- WHEEL BACK ON
What went wrong:
Lots. I'm normally very good at this, but it fell apart at West Point. My chain had slipped from the front ring and I didn't know that, so I had trouble feeling that the chain was on the back cogs correctly. Plus, i should've used the guard rail to support the bike, rather than do this with the bike on its side initially and then when I got it upright. I spent maybe a minute on this whole process, also having trouble finding the gaps into which the wheel is secured. I could go up now and do this all blindfolded and in the dark....but there I just got flustered and made some dumb decisions.
What went right:
Nothing, other than in time I got the wheel back on!

ACT SIX -- RE-MOUNT
What went wrong:
On a hill, with cleats on feet, it is almost impossible to get going gracefully. Four or five times I clipped in on the left and started pedalling, but the right platform was spinning and I couldn't get locked in before I lost the momentum; one time I tumbled over. Eventually I locked in the right shoe so that foot was bare, and then started the process again and was fine. I just rode up the rest of the hill with my right foot on top on the shoe, just like I do leaving T1 after my fast mounts. But more than a minute was spent trying to get going again.
What went right:
Again, not much other than I finally found a way to get moving again!

TIME SPENT/LOST:
Act 1 --- 1:00min, 1:30max
Act 2 --- 1:20min, 1:40max
Act 3 --- 1:00min, 1:30max
Act 4 --- 1:20min, 1:50max
Act 5 --- 1:40min, 2:30max
Act 6 --- 1:40min, 2:20max

That's a "long-running" play!!

(And a "long-winded" review! )

2010-08-17 6:18 AM
in reply to: #3046998

Master
Kitchener
lufferly - 2010-08-16 7:23 PM STEVE B, this is the first year the lottery system was used for Houston ... and there were MANY very upset athletes ... due to the lottery and the fact the registration fee was raised to $95 for the half (up $30 from last year), not sure what the difference was for the full.  You could register for the lottery as an individual or you could register in groups up to 10 (in case you don't want to race if your spouse/friend/etc doesn't get in) ... either the entire group gets in or noone gets in.  My group (Too Hot To Handle) consists of my running partner from my actual running group (Woodlands Fit), her husband, myself, a friend of mine from work and her daughter.  There are people (including one coach that I know of) with my actual running group that did not get in.  This will be my first time for this race, everyone else in Too Hot To Handle raced last year.  I did the 5K because I missed out on registration as I was out of town without internet access and the race filled with 48 hours (hence the lottery, to make things more fair, so they say).  It's a great course with lots of spectator support.  The marathon course winds through downtown, Memorial Park, the Heights and other old historic neighborhoods, and, yes, Rice.  The other thing that makes it such a great venue is the fact you can wait in the George R Brown Convention Center right up until race time if the weather is inclement.  We are looking forward to it!

LISA

That's really cool that you are doing a 1/2 marathon.   And with all those friends too.   Your running schedule seems to be very consistent.   I had no idea that races could be that popular that they sell out in minutes.   We sure don't have any like that around here (that I am aware of, anyway).  

I can't remember if you have commented on biking.  I see that you are not doing any.   Do you just stick to the swimming and biking?   
2010-08-17 6:37 AM
in reply to: #2559115

Master
Kitchener
STEVE,

Your analysis of the the tire repair was informative.   I knew some of the stuff, but not all and I can see how easy it would be to forget a step in a race situation.

"It helps greatly to blow into the new tube to give it some roundness before inserting it. I did that, but not enough. It had some shape, but a few more breaths would've helped. I've replaced tubes often enough so I know that sometimes it goes smoothly, other times you think you get it all in....and the part on the other side of the wheeel has come out."

I for sure did not know about blowing into the new tube and will try that in my practice session.   

Thanks. 
2010-08-17 7:06 AM
in reply to: #3047211

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-08-16 9:50 PM ANNE once more - So your name, being A.A. -- does that also stand for "Admirably Analytical"? It could well be! Yet again you have produced some awesome data ("Awesome Averages"?). I will study them more later, but my quickish perusal supports what you feel -- tnat you are ready for HVM! I mean, you got faster as you went along, which doesn't often happen in rides of that length. You've given some reasons for why that happened, but after a few hours in the saddle the body can often overrule fact and logic -- but that didn't happen to you today! Holy moly, A-squared! I'll just throw this out there -- Have you figured your HR limnits for the bike very separately than those for your run. I can see why you are a bit perplexed by the discrepancy between HR and RPE today, and I would agree that from how you described the conditions, you were indeed in high Z2/low Z3. Soooo, it might be worth recalibrating your HR parameters for the bike specifically. What do you think? And very economical to do today on 16oz Vega (I have to check that out) and a couple of figs. I think you have a workable system in place for HVJ. Anything more, that's long, in the plans between now and then? I wouldn't think you'd need it, but...... And a final thought here, moving away from riding, is how often you experiment with your swim "cadence"? I'm thinking about how consistent your times were, and how a swim coach once told you he could set his watch by your times. For me, slight increases in turnover result in a bit more speed, which has been borne out using my Tempo Trainer in the pool (Mark, late of this group, found the same thing), as well as less patently obvious in OWS situations. Anyhow, you might want to try some controlled swim "spurts" in which you increae your turnover for a short spell --- maybe 15 or 20 seconds, just until you start to feel a bit taxed. That might work to improving your times; it does for me. And I'm glad that spinning those circles is working for you! It worked to perfection for me at FTT and other races this year.....but yesterday when my brain shut off I abandoned it and took to doing too many probably counter-productive standing grind-assaults. But that was just anger and fury and desperation having their way with me, I think!

STEVE,

Just spent 20 minutes responding to this post and LOST IT ALL!!!!!  FREAKING OUT!!!!   Have to get moving on to some other chores now, so will come back later today.  
2010-08-17 9:55 AM

Master
Kitchener
STEVE,

Your 3 degrees of recovery make alot of sense.   Gives me something to work with when I tell Ken I'm going out for a 'recovery' ride.  
2010-08-17 10:02 AM

Master
Kitchener
STEVE,

No more long bikes before Vermont.   After yesterday's ride in those winds and feeling the way I did then and today, feel pretty confident.   I may very well blow the race, but at least it will be with confidence. 

30km harder effort tomorrow, then Orillia on Sunday; a short ride on the following Tuesday and then want to ride part of the bike course on the Friday before race.

I'm sure the difference between my actual HR and RPE was due to the winds.   I was putting out some pretty good watts I think.   My recent LT testing was bike specific and although I didn't get my run LT done this time (since I'm  not running), I know the zones from the previous test and they are quite a bit higher than the bike.   My run HR max was 172 where my bike is 161.  

On my initial testing, my running was much more efficient than the cycling with run LT about 90% of max where the bike was just over 75% of max.   However, bike is now running at 90% as well.   Which apparently is where most experienced athletes should be. 

2010-08-17 10:07 AM

Master
Kitchener
STEVE,

Going to break these posts up into little bites.

I read Brendan Brazier's book a few years ago but didn't get into the products probably due to expense.   Tried some of them though.   Recently talked to some other athletes who really like them so bought a few of the smaller sampler packages.   Used the Performance Optimizer on one of the longer 7 hour canoe days where we didn't have time for a large breakfast.   Used the Optimizer with just 2 Lara bars, some almonds, and some figs over 7 hours and had amazing energy for the duration.

After yesterday's bike went out and bought the larger container.   Also trying his Performance Protein, after the workouts and based on how I feel today we may try that for a while.    Ken really likes it.  

One really good thing for me was that I was drinking it while I was riding and had NO stomach issues.    The only other product that has not bothered me is the cocount water but it doesn't produce nearly the same results.

Brazier is a vegan triathlete.   That isn't why I bought his stuff.   It just seems to work well.  
2010-08-17 10:12 AM

Master
Kitchener

STEVE,

I am heading out to the pool in about an hour and will take the tempo trainer.   I have tried to increase cadence in the past but it pretty much destroyed my stroke, both the pull and the finish.   I don't think I had the strength.   I have really been focussing on the strength aspect of the pull and finish, fully realizing that technique is of utmost importance.   But I really think you have to have both upper body strength AND technique.   I can pretty much keep a strong, good stroke for the entire 2km now, so maybe now is the time to do some spurts.

We'll see how it goes.   I have never been too keen on taxing myself in the water.    Just don't like how it feels.    Guess I will have to take some baby steps.  

2010-08-17 10:15 AM

Master
Kitchener
STEVE,

I am really liking the spinning small circles.   It seems kind of weird to say that, because you would think what else could you do on a bike but spin small circles.   But it is amazing the type of pedalling 'strokes' you can actually do.   It did take me a bit to get the hang of it, and then maintaining it.  
2010-08-17 10:23 AM

Master
Kitchener
STEVE,

Last one.   Yes, I am pretty analytical.    Lots of notes and observations.   They have come in useful when looking back over the logs.   I used to keep minimal data and it was frustrating looking back and then wondering why I did so well that particular day and sucked another day.   Helpful when injury occurs as well, related to training.  Which I have had enough of.   Going back and seeing where something started to go wrong.    I have always been able to find the source of the problem and why, and most of the time have learned from it.    Continue to make some silly trainining decisions but don't usually repeat them.  

Are you getting closer to knowing when you might get to Vermont?    I've got the weather network on my favorites now.  

2010-08-17 12:44 PM
in reply to: #3047419

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
STEVE!

That tire saga sounds terrible!!  Especially the tipping over twice clipped in...ouch.  SO frustrating when you really are trying to be fast at something you know you can do but are frustrated at a few things that went wrong...then a few more things go wrong, and then you are seeing red and..ARRRG!   

But really good description, you are the best story teller ever!

Timberman - T-Minus 4 days and counting!

2010-08-17 1:15 PM
in reply to: #3048314

User image

Champion

ANNE -

Now that I've got that big account off my chest, I will do a summary of the things that SHOULD be done in changing a flat. But you picked up on one of the small ones, which is the blowing into the valve to give the tube some shape.

Sometimes that doesn't work, especially if the tube has been around for a while. If this happens:
(1) Use your frame pump, if you keep one on your bike (i no longer do).
(2) Give it a quick zap of CO2 IF you are confident that your trigger finger is lightning fast (I am not).
(3) Give it a quick shaping-up when you remove it from the box and put it wherever you store stuff on your bike. The downside to this is that it is no longer quite as compact as when it is right out of the box. If space is an issue, then don't do this.

Here is another lessr-known trick, mentioned in the long account but given more detail now:

After the new tube is in and the tire secured all the way around on the rim, AND BEFORE YOU INFLATE, give the valve a push up (inwards), then pull it gently back down (out), then give one more push in (this takes mere seconds). What this does is release any of the tube that might be caught between the tire and the rim in the area around the valve, where the fit is tightest. This is the most likely spot for a pinch flat, so doing that maneuver should greatly decrease the chances of a pinch flat happening.

I may not know much........but what I know is largely useless outside of the world of triathlon-related activities!!

2010-08-17 3:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
2010-08-17 3:51 PM
in reply to: #3048728

User image

Champion

DENISE -

That's a hoot-and-a-half! And with dial-up here, by the time I made my way through links and all it was about THREE minutes of fame!

Any public appearances slated? (Didn't Paris Hilton spin a few innocuous happenings in her life into her "career" --- such as it is?)

Will you sign one of your running socks for me?

2010-08-17 3:55 PM
in reply to: #3047901

User image

Champion

MANDY -

And when are you leaving? Are you able to get off work on either Thursday or Friday and make a more restful and eventful happening out of it?

PLEASE remember to give my best to Winnett, okay? And give your mom a hug from me!

2010-08-17 4:03 PM
in reply to: #3048842

User image

Champion

ANNE -

I'm still leaning towards coming down Saturday morning, arriving there around noon. But if I can swing it, Friday would be nice and then I might avail myself of the time to scope out the course. Although at the rate my HVJ build is progressing, i may still be doing race-specific workouts on Friday! I figure I need one solid 56-miler, and one decent brick incorporating a 40-ish mile ride with a 60-ish minute run. And with that in mind, I need to do three longish runs just separately, so that would maybe be a 13km, a 17km, and a 20km. I'm not sure how and when these will be fit in; I guess I need to create a short-term workout schedule!

Are you still planning to be there on the Thursday onwards? And is it still the campground scene for you? Are you inclined to do the "official" pre-race meal Saturday evening? I have to check to see if the offering has cheese. if it does, I will have to eat off the menu, which is fine....just not a nice free meal!

2010-08-17 4:10 PM
in reply to: #3047848

User image

Champion

ANNE again -

I did a 40-minute swim today in the St.L., and then ran easy for 50 minutes; the calf feels fine!!!!

I followed that with a 17-minute swim sans wetsuit (but in my Blue Seventy zero point three), and bailed on my ride. The winds you had yesterday must be the same ones we had here today, and I figured I'd done enough for the day. Had I done a ride, I would've been miserable! (Aww! Poor baby!)

So, I will have to sneak in a ride tomorrow before I get the bike to the LBS, or hope to retrieve it in time for a decent ride Thursday afternoon. And maybe the winds will die down in a while and I can knock off 40km this evening.....but that doesn't seem yo be close to happenng right now. Oh well -- I guess i'll go rake some grass out back, then!

2010-08-17 4:26 PM
in reply to: #3048842

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
stevebradley - 2010-08-17 4:55 PM MANDY - And when are you leaving? Are you able to get off work on either Thursday or Friday and make a more restful and eventful happening out of it? PLEASE remember to give my best to Winnett, okay? And give your mom a hug from me!

STEVE!

I will be there Thursday!! I will give mom a hug and give your best to Winnett.  She is Winnett Ordway if you want to track her.  I bet she does < 6:30.  She is a strong swimmer and biker, with some marathon experience. 

Took a 20 mile ride today...I am really antsy!  More on my plan soon (later tonight) to see what you think!

Mandy
2010-08-17 5:03 PM
in reply to: #3048925

User image

Champion

MANDY -

A plan! Tonight! May I live vicariously through it? Huh?

Thank you for the Ordway lead. I was planning to just go with Winnett....figuring there wouldn't be too many with that name. But ordway will make it easier, or more offical, or all there is if there isn't a first-name option. And is she 30-34?

You? Antsy? No way!

2010-08-17 5:05 PM
in reply to: #3048983

User image

Champion

Racing this weekend??

I have Anne at Orillia sprint and Tracey at Timberman sprint and Mandy at Timberamn half-iron.........and what about Denise, our Diva of the Day?

Lemme know!

2010-08-17 6:23 PM
in reply to: #3048983

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
stevebradley - 2010-08-17 6:03 PM MANDY - A plan! Tonight! May I live vicariously through it? Huh? Thank you for the Ordway lead. I was planning to just go with Winnett....figuring there wouldn't be too many with that name. But ordway will make it easier, or more offical, or all there is if there isn't a first-name option. And is she 30-34? You? Antsy? No way!

Ha!

OK here is my plan...I don't really have much of a plan...

Get to Ellacoya for the 4am gate opening.  Sleep if I can till 5:30.  Eat bagel with almond butter & banana.  Get marked, fool around with transition stuff.  Talk to people (I KNOW! ME?? Talk to people??

6am - Try to grab Andy Pott's butt. 

6:20 - eat something...not sure what...

7:20 - eat again (Hammer bar)

8:20 - Swim start. No big plan here except just keep swimming till I am done.

Bike - Start easy in an easy gear, drink a bit.   I plan on the first 15 miles taking ~ 1 hour due to the hills.  Eat every hour (Cliff bar, pretzels, and Hammer gel) & drink constantly.  Hope to hell I can pull off the bottle exchange without wiping out.  Is that enough calories???  I don't know.

Run - I have thought most about this as I have more running experience than anything else....in my head, this is 4 5k's...I will probably walk the water stations, but who knows.
First 5k - slow, get my running muscles going.  My stomach is kind of full of food anyway.  Hydrate at each water station (with that disgustingly sweet mix they use...ack...I am thinking of carrying a bottle with NUUN in it actually).  
Next 2 5k's - run steady, increase pace if I can, push through that crappy feeling that is bound to come around 6-10 mile mark...hydrate.
Last 5k - same as the previous, except when I get back close to the finish line I give it the rest of my gas, if I have any.  I have a house all picked out to pick it up from.   Blais roll across... Wahoo!

So yeah, that is kind of my plan!

2010-08-17 6:59 PM
in reply to: #3044573

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
LadyNorth - 2010-08-15 2:25 PM

Anne - you found my results - thanks for the comments.  Lisa - thank you too.

So I cross the finish line and I'm feeling pretty good about my race and I walk over to the chip guy and he gives me a funny look and I look down and there's no chip on my leg.  My heart sank.  But wonderful, wonderful PickleEvents was able to get my backup manual times so all is good.  I do have to pay for the chip, though.  They had a chip time for me after the swim and then nothing after that.  So it most probably came off with my wetsuit - but couldn't find it anywhere - went thru my stuff multiple times after the race and the clean-up people didn't find anything.  I'm wondering if when it came off the velcro was open and stuck to somebody's something.  I'm actually glad I didn't know it was missing until the end of the race.  It's funny how the thing that actually went wrong was not one of the 20 possible things I was obsessing about the day before.

Had a GREAT time and improved over last year.

Placements:
age group: 1/3  females 52/117, overall 149/246

Comparison to last year

Nevis 2010:   2:43/100yd   17.5 pace  9:23 pace        Total time: 1:35:34
Nevis 2009:   3:22/100yd   14.9 pace  9:48 pace        Total time: 1:49:30

Swim was below average but bike and run were my best so far.  I'm actually happiest about the run.  I've been having below-average triathlon runs lately and don't know why.  My run yesterday went really well and felt easy and I don't know why.  Possible reasons:  the bike was only 14 miles, the run course was flat and shaded and it was overcast, I took a full GU with 8 oz water in T2 instead of partial GU and a few sips of water.  Who knows?  A lady in the 55-59 age group actually came up to me after the race and said that I had passed her and she was impressed by how comfortable I looked running.

Hope Steve is having a great day.

Now I'm ready to cheer on all you people who are racing next week.

Denise

Wow, so awesome Denise! You must be feeling great. Major congrats on the AG placement.

Tracey

2010-08-17 8:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
Steve:

Sorry to hear about your tire changing fiasco! I wonder if all seasoned triathletes eventually have one of those tales to tell. It seems like just a matter of time before you get a flat that is not so easy to fix. But nevertheless, it sounds like you still had a good race.

So the bib numbers and swim waves are up for Timberman. I'm in wave 7 out of 9, scheduled to start at 7:30. I did a rough count of all the bib # listings and it looks like there will be around 1,500 participants. Decidedly bigger than Escape or Whaling City, for sure! At Whaling City, I wasn't so concerned about positioning myself at the back of the swim wave as I was at Escape, but at Timberman I will certainly be doing that. Besides, it gives me a little confidence boost when I start at the very back and find myself passing a few swimmers!

The weather for the weekend is looking good at the moment. Low of 58, and high of 79, with low humidity. Woo hoo, dry air!

This will kind of be the climax of my racing season. Timberman is definitely the biggie for me this year just as far as it being the "real deal", and will likely be my last tri this season. (I've got a duathlon in October and am doing a few fall road races, but no more tris).

I'm going to make sure I've got proper nutrition this time based on what I've been experimenting with. My hydration will be a 50/50 mix of water and Gatorade, and for nutrition I'll be using Hammer Gels, Clif Bloks and bananas. I'm thinking a banana or two before the start, a gel before the ride, and the Clif Bloks before the run. As for breakfast and any other snacks earlier before the race, I have to figure that out. We're going to be on the road so I'll have to find a place on the way from the B&B to the race. I'll probably go for an egg and cheese on a bagel or something like that (hopefully there will be something open at the godawful hour of 5:00...)

I have a question for you about swim kicking. How much does a good kick actually add to one's swim performance, either in efficiency or speed? (I suppose maybe those two are the same anyway, since greater efficiency leads to speed...) Anyway, I recall reading in a recent article on Swim Smooth that kicking does very little for your swim in terms of propelling you through the water. It said that you can prove this to yourself by using a pull buoy and seeing how much faster you swim without even using your legs, illustrating the point that getting your lower body buoyant is far more important that having a strong kick.

So I've tried different approaches with my kick, from a tiny flutter to a strong scissor kick, and sometimes no kick at all (just kind of letting my legs extend behind me and allowing my arms to do all the work). My pace is pretty much the same using all techniques. However, I do find that the last method (no kick at all) allows me to go farther before getting tired. Something about kicking just seems to tire me out. I definitely have better muscular endurance in my arms than in my legs, and at times I feel like my arms could just keep going and going. But my legs? No way. So I was just wondering, is there any wisdom to not kicking when you swim?

Thanks!

Tracey

2010-08-17 8:51 PM
in reply to: #3049050

User image

Champion

MANDY -

Great minds think alike! My first half-iron was Timberman, '01.....anfd I got there right when it opened.....and then treid to sleep in the car. I may have dozed off for about 163 seconds or so; maybe not. But my intentions were pure to get at least a bit more rest!!

Your plan sounds fine, but just be careful that you don't overhydrate so much that you feel bloated, or that your electrolytes get too diluted. The forecast is not for too hot or humid, so that should work in your favor.

Taking the first hour or so at a controlled pace is smart; you DO remember those hills, I see! The time to open it up is on Rt 106, and do whatever the wind allows you to. thatids, if it's from the west push it until the turnaround; if from the east push it coming back through Belmont to Leavitt Road.

Leavitt Road! Try to remember that once you crest the nagging long hill on Leavitt omn the return, and you pass the road into a hoity-toity subdivision....bomb it from there! You will pass through the diagonal road at nice speed because the marshal will be stopping all the traffic, and then use that momentum to climb the small riser that gets you onto 107, where the left turn gets you going BLAZING down the Marsh Hill Monstah. I think the rougher pavement was to the right side, so if you can stay a bit to the left. Wheeeeeeee!

The first mile of the run should be a nice and gentle effort, as it features that gradual climb that is for the most part of the first 1.5 miles. But it isn't a killer-diller; just not what you would want to expend too much early effort on.

As you approach the bike bottle exchange, establish your position to that side and start slowing with plenty of time for anyone behind you to see what you are up to. My good money says you will not wipe-out!!

i saw a ythread on slowtwitch about starting in late waves in half irons, and here was one interesting pice of information -- pay attention to what might be on the road from all the cyclists who have gone before you. The biggy will be water bottles, but maybe also tubes and tires that have come unloosed from their moorings. And if bored, count yellow sponges from the aero drink bottles. One guy counted 21, I think it was at Steelhead.

I have run with a water bottle in a half, or at least for parts of it. T-man is great for that, because as a double out-and-back you can run until you get tired of lugging the thing and then ditch it in a rememberable place and pick it up on the return -- kind of like what we did with the bottles I stashed behind the guard rail.

No comment on Andy Potts' rear end!

2010-08-17 9:14 PM
in reply to: #3049227

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

Great nutrition plan, and I can't see you running any deficits at all. As for early morning food, about five miles west of Ellacoya, on Route 11, is a Dunkin' Donuts that either never closes or is open at about 4am. If you can, get to it Friday and check out the hours. It is on the way to Laconia, but if you pass the Laconia Convention Center you've gone too far. About two miles past the airfield, same route and dircetion, is a Cumberalnd Farms or somehting just like it, and has all the typical convenience-store food, such as muffins and bagels. I'll try to think of other places as well.

At times I haven't found a place that will be open early, i buy a bagel the night before and just heat it in the motel's microwave machine. That is less desirable than something fresh and warm, but better than eating just a Clif Bar or two!

The kick question!! I'm maybe the wrong one to ask, because I don't kick at all -- and I mean that 99% literally. My kick is not efficient, and doing it does nothing more than take something out of my legs that is better utilized on the bike and the run. I am sure that part of my success on the bike comes from having very fresh legs, which comes from just having them along for the ride on the swim! And I agree with Swim Smopoth and the comment about pull buoys, as I always swim faster with a pull buoy than when I try to affect a kick.

Many people say that the legs are there to help with balance, and maybe just the smallest amount of propulsion. i agree with that.

HOWEVER, when I watch the really ace swimmers in triathlons, i can see their kick from about 100 yards away. So I guess for people who can kick strongly and effectively, kicking is the way to go; otherwise, think twice about expending too much effort on it. And I think your evidence that when you don't kick you are able to go further without getting tired is a good excuse for now to minimize the kick. I also feel the same way about my arms versus my legs, that the former can go forever when swimming, but not the latter, which translates into yet another reason for me to swim without kicking!

A first test for your future as a potential kicking swimmer is to check your foot flexibility. If you have trouble doing plantar flexion (think ballerinas on pointe), then your feet will act more like rudders that are far from being aquadynamic. But if you have good ankle flexibility and can get your feet pointing down and away (as if they wwere on the same plane as your legs), then you might want to spend some time in the off-season working a=on getting an effective kick working for you. If you ever see underwater photos of world-class swimmers, they can get their feet flexed so that their toes are pointing towards the back wall they recently kicked off from. Amazing flexibility!

As for the tire thing....it was what it was. When I did the Double Tri at Fronhofer Tool Triathlon the weekend before, both the overall makle and female in the psrint, the afternoon race, fallted during the olympic, which was in the morning. So as the RD abnnounced it "If you want to win the sprint next year, enter the olympic in the morning and DNF due to a flat." So, yes, it happens to all of us, and in all of my racing I only increae the odds that it will happen. This was the third time in a race, which places it at one flat every 32 multisport races. I think that is higher than average, just based on how many people I know who haven't flatted in a race.

And let me know if you want more thoughts about kicking and the swim!

Edited by stevebradley 2010-08-18 6:27 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276