BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2009-06-01 9:14 AM
in reply to: #2068561

Subject: Results of May Challenge and New June Challenge!

The results of the May challenge are in!

Amy went over and beyond the goal of 20 pink/dark pink/green squares with a grand total of 25!

James was runner up with 24 squares, including 1 race!

Kathleen also exceeded her goal with 21 pink squares, a few of those miserably cold open water swims, so she deserves props for that!

Despite being injured, Will remained on top of the game with 21 squares, due to his persistence in working to rehab his knee.

Steve met his goal with 20 squares, even while finishing up his finals and his thesis.

I hit exactly 20 squares, including my first half-marathon

Steph managed to get 16 squares, even though she had a very busy month, so although she was not able to meet the goal this time, she deserve some congrats for squeezing in as much as she could!

Yay for all of you! What a hard-working bunch

For the June challenge, I would like everyone to pick a discipline, either swim, bike or run (your choice), and choose either a goal of a certain time spent doing that discipline (hours or minutes, up to you), or a certain mileage (or kilometer-age, for our member across the pond). Post your goals here, so I can keep track of them! I need to think about mine for a minute and will post mine later.

2009-06-01 10:24 AM
in reply to: #2186043

Subject: RE: Results of May Challenge and New June Challenge!

Okay, my goal is running, since I starting marathon training this month. I am going to shoot for 75 miles for the month of June.

2009-06-01 11:43 AM

User image

Subject: RE: Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training)
Sorry about your race Chrissy!  That stinks    We had a fun weekend, and I got a really good walk in, as well as an OWS; and it was fine!!!  I def get more winded, but part of it is also my issue with what may be swimming underneath me, I really have a tiny bit of a phobia about lakes & oceans...ridiculous, I know   That's where the wetsuit is great!!  I know things can't directly touch me!!!

Trying to cut things down for this week, so I can get rested up!!  I've got to think about my June challenge - plus I need to get through this race, and recover, and I'm sure that will highlight things I need to work on.  The unfortunate thing is I think I really need to work on both swimming and biking!!!
2009-06-01 11:53 AM
in reply to: #2186604

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-06-01 12:43 PM Sorry about your race Chrissy!  That stinks    We had a fun weekend, and I got a really good walk in, as well as an OWS; and it was fine!!!  I def get more winded, but part of it is also my issue with what may be swimming underneath me, I really have a tiny bit of a phobia about lakes & oceans...ridiculous, I know   That's where the wetsuit is great!!  I know things can't directly touch me!!!

Trying to cut things down for this week, so I can get rested up!!  I've got to think about my June challenge - plus I need to get through this race, and recover, and I'm sure that will highlight things I need to work on.  The unfortunate thing is I think I really need to work on both swimming and biking!!!

Glad you got in the water and it was successful! Yes, open water IS a little tougher, since you have to battle waves and current and such. And I'm irrationally afraid of sharks in the ocean, if that makes you feel better Lakes and rivers are all right though. Usually, the critters will go far, far away once a mass of splashing athletes comes charging toward them Aside from minnows at the water's edge, you probably won't see anything.

2009-06-01 12:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
Sorry to hear about your race Chrissy.

I am going to go with biking. I think I am going to aim for 180 miles in June, which is very doable but will require me to be consistant, which is hard for me since in includes having to find those long chunks of time away from family. Guess that means I have to get my butt out of bed early on Saturdays.
2009-06-01 12:43 PM
in reply to: #2186801

JJackson07 - 2009-06-01 1:40 PM Sorry to hear about your race Chrissy. I am going to go with biking. I think I am going to aim for 180 miles in June, which is very doable but will require me to be consistant, which is hard for me since in includes having to find those long chunks of time away from family. Guess that means I have to get my butt out of bed early on Saturdays.

Great goal, James! I need to get my butt on the bike as well, but the marathon is really the priority, so I want to make sure I don't slack off at all. Ideally, I'd like to hit every single training run on my plan in some capacity, barring any unforeseen injuries or illnesses. In a few weeks, I'm doing a 4-miler race. My plan has 6 miles that day. But with such short distances that I can do in my sleep right now, I figure a 4-mile race (harder effort) will be equally as stressful on my body as an easy 6 miles. Once it gets up towards the longer runs, I'll have to be more choosy.

2009-06-01 12:53 PM

User image

Regular
Oklahoma City

I think I'll go with running as well. Since I'm terrible about tracking the actual miles, I'm setting a goal of 6 hours. June will be a much better month for me, so I'm confident I'll hit my goal.

2009-06-01 3:46 PM
in reply to: #2186327

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Results of May Challenge and New June Challenge!
wurkit_gurl - 2009-06-01 10:24 AM

Okay, my goal is running, since I starting marathon training this month. I am going to shoot for 75 miles for the month of June.

Go Chrissy good luck with your marathon training.  Run like the wind!
2009-06-01 3:50 PM

User image

Regular
For the June challenge, I am going to choose swim.  I start the summers masters swimming program and am gearing my races more towards swims since I still cant run for more than 2 minutes.

SO... I am going to be lofty and say I am going to do 25,000 yards for the month.  YIKES.  I better get going.

Good luck everyone!
2009-06-02 8:06 AM

Morning folks, hope everyone is able to check in today - new challenge for June! Pick your discipline, pick your goal in time or mileage and hit it

I think some more folks are racing this month. Feel free to update as to how the training is going - if you have any questions, let me know! The only thing on tap for this month is a 4-miler Twilight run - really, it's at 7 pm, which isn't exactly twilight, and it'll probably be hot as crap.

2009-06-02 10:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
Chrissy,
This weekend is my first tri on my road bike and the first that I will be using my clipless pedals and tri shoes. I know the super cool thing to do is to have my shoes clipped in to my bike before I start, but is this the best option?

First thing is that the shoes don't stay put on the pedals, but flip over and drag on the ground. I have read a little bit about using rubber bands to remedy this, but I don't know how that would work. On the other hand, I am not thrilled with the idea of running my bike through the transition area in my tri shoes as they are awkward at best and slippery at worst.

I think I can handle getting my feet out of the shoes and pedalling on top of them coming into T2, but I am a little concerned about T1. What do you suggest?

2009-06-02 10:12 AM

User image

YIKES!!  I just have problems with a simple little toe cage!!!
2009-06-02 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2189046

JJackson07 - 2009-06-02 11:05 AM Chrissy, This weekend is my first tri on my road bike and the first that I will be using my clipless pedals and tri shoes. I know the super cool thing to do is to have my shoes clipped in to my bike before I start, but is this the best option? First thing is that the shoes don't stay put on the pedals, but flip over and drag on the ground. I have read a little bit about using rubber bands to remedy this, but I don't know how that would work. On the other hand, I am not thrilled with the idea of running my bike through the transition area in my tri shoes as they are awkward at best and slippery at worst. I think I can handle getting my feet out of the shoes and pedalling on top of them coming into T2, but I am a little concerned about T1. What do you suggest?

No, definitely DO NOT start with your shoes clipped into the pedals if you have never done it before. And a week is not enough time to practice. That is only something the top elite folks do, or people who have practiced it many, many times. On Sunday, I watched a guy almost tip over because he couldn't get his foot in his shoe. It's really only necessary if you're trying to win your AG, or the whole thing. I have honestly not had any problems running in my road bike shoes - they have a hard sole (not carbon, but still) and I have Look pedals, so those have fairly large cleats. You do have to run a little further back on your heels than you would in normal running shoes - that's all right for the few yards that it'll take to get through transition. If transition is on grass or dirt, you should be all right.

2009-06-02 10:17 AM
in reply to: #2189067

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-06-02 11:12 AM YIKES!!  I just have problems with a simple little toe cage!!!

See my answer to his question - it's NOT necessary for newbies or people who are new to clipless pedals. Or really anyone who's not looking to AG place or place overall.

To be honest, once you get clipless pedals, they're actually quite easy. The clipless aspect is not what freaks me out about riding. It does make stopping fast a bit harder, but you get used to it. Of course,  now I have to learn how to stop all over again, since my seat is raised and that changes how I dismount my bike. But the difficult part is not being clipped in, it's the fact that I have to put a lot of weight on my weak leg either way.

2009-06-02 10:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
Well that is good to hear, wasn't looking forward to dealing with that. I haven't joined the tipping over while clipped in club yet (probably shouldn't have typed that), but have slipped on my shoes a few times when dismounting my bike- usually when I am not at a COMPLETE stop. I haven't had any problems walking in my shoes, but I will still be just a little careful in T1. Thanks for the advice.
2009-06-02 10:42 AM
in reply to: #2189131

JJackson07 - 2009-06-02 11:32 AM Well that is good to hear, wasn't looking forward to dealing with that. I haven't joined the tipping over while clipped in club yet (probably shouldn't have typed that), but have slipped on my shoes a few times when dismounting my bike- usually when I am not at a COMPLETE stop. I haven't had any problems walking in my shoes, but I will still be just a little careful in T1. Thanks for the advice.

You'll tip eventually. Tipping over when stopped or almost stopped isn't bad. You just kinda fall. It doesn't hurt really. Actually crashing while riding is another thing entirely. At that point, being clipped in or not doesn't make a difference.

It's okay to come to a complete stop at the dismount line. Plenty of others will. Just take your time to get off the bike and when both legs are clear of the pedals, then you can run with it. You won't lose that much time by not doing a flying dismount. Again, none of that stuff is really that necessary for us newbies or non-AG winners, and none of it should be executed unless it's practiced A LOT.

2009-06-02 10:43 AM

User image

My issue last week was I was having a shifting issue, and I was trying to figure that out, and for some reason took my right foot out of the cage, but still had left foot in.  Now, I have huge feet, and really long toes, so I always have my foot farther forward than you would think, and I did a sharp turn, and my toes caught the front tie, and I almost couldn't get my left foot out of the cage on time...I actually strained my hamstring a little because I was trying so hard to get it out!!!
2009-06-02 10:50 AM
in reply to: #2189165

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-06-02 11:43 AM My issue last week was I was having a shifting issue, and I was trying to figure that out, and for some reason took my right foot out of the cage, but still had left foot in.  Now, I have huge feet, and really long toes, so I always have my foot farther forward than you would think, and I did a sharp turn, and my toes caught the front tie, and I almost couldn't get my left foot out of the cage on time...I actually strained my hamstring a little because I was trying so hard to get it out!!!

I have never actually used toe cages, as I went straight from the platform pedals that came with my bike to clipless pedals about a month later. But I think that toe cages are probably a little trickier than clipless pedals, since you have to pull your foot back and out to get it out of the cage. With a clipless pedal system, you just click your heel to the side and it comes out. And there's nothing for your foot to get caught on. The cleat either disengages from the pedal or it doesn't, and I've rarely had issues where I couldn't actually get my foot out of the pedal. Now remembering to unclip in time is another story, but that's why you practice. I would unclip long before I had to, until I got comfortable with the motion. Now unclipping is second nature.

2009-06-02 12:23 PM

User image

Regular
Oklahoma City
Just want to throw in here that I love my clipless pedals and shoes. I was thinking about it last night when I was riding. Being "attached" to the bike really helps when you are trying to power up a hill (or against the wind).
2009-06-02 12:30 PM
in reply to: #2189438

steph94483 - 2009-06-02 1:23 PM Just want to throw in here that I love my clipless pedals and shoes. I was thinking about it last night when I was riding. Being "attached" to the bike really helps when you are trying to power up a hill (or against the wind).

Exactly! Being able to pull back and up helps immensely, rather than only being able to mash down. It's not as efficient. Esp. in triathlon, where you need to NOT fry your quads in order to go and run afterwards

2009-06-02 2:32 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
afternoon all. i think my goals for the month should be the following:
Get some shoes to run in for gods sake!
Get my new bike from home to here, and start going distance (and buy a helmet)
Try and run regularly (i'm aiming for around every other day even if its only a 1mile jog like i've been doing, and thus only takes a quick 8 mins plus warmup/cooldown ) and try to get further everntually.
I can't really think of a quantifiable goal as my month is going to be a bit interesting and not sure whts in store. Looking at getting a temp part time job.

2009-06-02 3:56 PM

User image

Regular
Hi everyone.  I am chiming in.  I just got my clipless and have practiced twice.  I am scared, too, but SO happy I did it.  SO much easier to pedal!!! l love them with a big heart.  I haven't fallen yet so I will tomorrow night Money mouth

Good luck James I am sure you will do awesome!
2009-06-02 5:29 PM
in reply to: #2189890

SteveyD - 2009-06-02 3:32 PM afternoon all. i think my goals for the month should be the following:
Try and run regularly (i'm aiming for around every other day even if its only a 1mile jog like i've been doing, and thus only takes a quick 8 mins plus warmup/cooldown ) and try to get further everntually.
I can't really think of a quantifiable goal as my month is going to be a bit interesting and not sure whts in store. Looking at getting a temp part time job.

You do mean 1 mile, not 1 kilometer, yes? (Just checking since you silly Brits use the metric system ) If you can run 1 mile in 8 minutes, I'd start adding a little distance and going a bit slower. An 8 minute mile is a great pace for a beginner, so for your race, you should really work on trying to be able to run the distance required. You're probably more than capable, you just need to force yourself to go slower, which kinda sucks, but come race day, it's better to run a little more slowly and finish strong, then go all out for a mile and run out of steam.

2009-06-03 4:02 AM
in reply to: #2190385

User image

Expert
Cambridge
wurkit_gurl - 2009-06-02 11:29 PM

SteveyD - 2009-06-02 3:32 PM afternoon all. i think my goals for the month should be the following:

You do mean 1 mile, not 1 kilometer, yes? (Just checking since you silly Brits use the metric system ) If you can run 1 mile in 8 minutes, I'd start adding a little distance and going a bit slower. An 8 minute mile is a great pace for a beginner, so for your race, you should really work on trying to be able to run the distance required. You're probably more than capable, you just need to force yourself to go slower, which kinda sucks, but come race day, it's better to run a little more slowly and finish strong, then go all out for a mile and run out of steam.

Brit measurements are kinda wierd. We use Pints for liquid, miles for distance etc, but everything smaller is measured in cm, meters etc, and then  weight is done in stones /lbs for people, but kg's for stuff like food.
it takes me about 8.30 minutes at the pace i go, plus time to stop at the traffic lights to cross the road .
After friday, i have nothing planned all month really, but i intend to work out and also to maybe get a job.
2009-06-03 7:53 AM
in reply to: #2191077

SteveyD - 2009-06-03 5:02 AM Brit measurements are kinda wierd. We use Pints for liquid, miles for distance etc, but everything smaller is measured in cm, meters etc, and then  weight is done in stones /lbs for people, but kg's for stuff like food.
it takes me about 8.30 minutes at the pace i go, plus time to stop at the traffic lights to cross the road .
After friday, i have nothing planned all month really, but i intend to work out and also to maybe get a job.

Ah makes sense. Still, though, an 8:30/mile is good! You can DEFINITELY go longer than a mile, you just may have to bring down your pace a bit. And for a newb, running 9:XX/miles is still pretty darned respectable. I'd concentrate on increasing your mileage. Normally "increase your mileage" has ominous tones to it, but since you're only running 1 mile at a time, going for 1 or 2 more (slowly) won't hurt

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  

of 29