BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2009-07-19 8:40 PM
in reply to: #2072085

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Subject: RE: GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring
Had to DNS our virtual tri today, we had a family member pass this weekend so I had to pick up some of our family.  I was able to sneak in a long ride though before heading to the airport.

2009-07-20 1:42 PM
in reply to: #2294941

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO

Justin -- understandable that family comes first.

I had missed the instructions for the virtual event - could someone repost for me?

Thanks,

2009-07-21 3:50 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
G

After a good 45 minute warm-up, I did my first hour long TT today on a predetermined course on the CT.  Results were 135W, 2.96W/KG Avg HR=158. Six weeks ago, I did a 30 minute TT on the same CT course.  This time the results were 140W, 3.05W/KG, Avg HR=168.

How should I interpret the results?  I guess I was expecting to see greater power this time since I have been training for the last 6 weeks doing force bike workouts, threshold rides, etc.  Is that crazy?

On another note, I swam my first 45 minutes straight in the pool yesterday.  I guess it just goes to show there is hope for every struggling swimmer out there. Pinch me.

Suzy

2009-07-22 6:26 PM
in reply to: #2299682

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
SSMinnow - 2009-07-21 2:50 PM G

After a good 45 minute warm-up, I did my first hour long TT today on a predetermined course on the CT.  Results were 135W, 2.96W/KG Avg HR=158. Six weeks ago, I did a 30 minute TT on the same CT course.  This time the results were 140W, 3.05W/KG, Avg HR=168.

How should I interpret the results?  I guess I was expecting to see greater power this time since I have been training for the last 6 weeks doing force bike workouts, threshold rides, etc.  Is that crazy?

On another note, I swam my first 45 minutes straight in the pool yesterday.  I guess it just goes to show there is hope for every struggling swimmer out there. Pinch me.

Suzy

Hi Suzy,

I'd focus on absolute power, for you, at that will be more useful for the triathlon goals.  Watts per KG will be fun (and flattering), but less likely to equate to tri-performance for your events.

Double the duration, 4% lower power, 6% lower HR -- looks about right to me.  I think that Joe Friel notes that, on average, we tend to drop about 5% when we double the duration.  Seeing as you are fit, and well trained, you'll find that the gains start to take longer to come through.

Nice work with the swimming -- you dealt with that challenge very well!

2009-07-24 6:53 AM

User image

Champion
So G, I was reading your latest article in EC with interest.  I do have a question on the statement below:

C -- Body Composition - when work doesn't shift the weight - trim your sugar intake and watch what happens. If you bonk quickly then you may need to materially reduce intensity to shift the fat. Many athletes get trapped in a "train-treat-repeat" cycle that results in no material weight loss (despite big training). Are you known for 64-oz Big Gulp stops? Can you calmly eat a liter of ice cream at 10pm at night? I've been known for both at various times in my career!

What is your thought on taking in carbs while training? as a runner, I trained without them all the way through my 20m+ long runs with the goal of improving my utilization of fat for fuel.  Sometimes I felt like crap after 3 hours, sometimes not.  Is this a reasonable strategy for triathlon? I am not running anywhere near the distance this summer, but am biking upwards of 3-4 hours at a time, mainly Z2 stuff.  Can I get away with a glycogen depletion strategy and does it benefit me in any way?  

Aside from that, I would like to drop about 2lbs and so far have been unable to do it (BF is around 13%, but because I am small I carry too much muscle).  I don't do big gulps and I don't eat ice cream at 10pm, but something is preventing those last two lousy pounds from falling off.  I am sure part is I am running a ton less and swimming/biking more, but I don't think I could workout more than the 13-15 hours that is currently in my schedule.
 Is the best strategy just to shut the trap during the day

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-07-24 9:32 AM
2009-07-24 4:09 PM
in reply to: #2305232

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
SSMinnow - 2009-07-24 5:53 AM So G, I was reading your latest article in EC with interest.  I do have a question on the statement below:

C -- Body Composition - when work doesn't shift the weight - trim your sugar intake and watch what happens. If you bonk quickly then you may need to materially reduce intensity to shift the fat. Many athletes get trapped in a "train-treat-repeat" cycle that results in no material weight loss (despite big training). Are you known for 64-oz Big Gulp stops? Can you calmly eat a liter of ice cream at 10pm at night? I've been known for both at various times in my career!

What is your thought on taking in carbs while training? as a runner, I trained without them all the way through my 20m+ long runs with the goal of improving my utilization of fat for fuel.  Sometimes I felt like crap after 3 hours, sometimes not.  Is this a reasonable strategy for triathlon? I am not running anywhere near the distance this summer, but am biking upwards of 3-4 hours at a time, mainly Z2 stuff.  Can I get away with a glycogen depletion strategy and does it benefit me in any way?  

Aside from that, I would like to drop about 2lbs and so far have been unable to do it (BF is around 13%, but because I am small I carry too much muscle).  I don't do big gulps and I don't eat ice cream at 10pm, but something is preventing those last two lousy pounds from falling off.  I am sure part is I am running a ton less and swimming/biking more, but I don't think I could workout more than the 13-15 hours that is currently in my schedule.

Looking at your profile photo -- probably not an issue for you!

We need to replace what we burn in training -- did you see Joe's recent blog on nutrition?  Really good advice:

http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2009/07/real-food-performance.html

I don't think that depletion training benefits athletes because it leads to over-eating outside of training, which is what you really want to avoid.

I advise people to work on improving the quality of what they eat when they are not training -- rather than going without when training.

13% is very low for a female athlete and you need the muscle/specific strength to improve as a cyclist/swimmer.

So I'd focus on the strategy that maximizes your training performance -- a lot more to gain there than knocking a kilo off your already lean/small frame.  I tell all my athletes to never lose the last kilo as it creates a lot of immune stress and slows recovery.

2009-07-24 11:08 PM

User image

New user
Hey all!
Figured I would check in... I am coming off a very stressful week.  Training kind of took a back seat based on how my body/mind were feeling any particular day.

As you may/may not know, I am in the midst of basically two very major lawsuits with "former family members".  It's an extremely sad, heart wrenching situation -- I am being dragged through the mud financially, emotionally and basically it's a roller coaster with ugly accusations and lies coming at me.  Sometimes training helps 'take me away' from it, sometimes while training I focus on it, and boy can I tell!!!

I find it amazing how connected the mind and body are.  I can be running along on the treadmill at 135 BPM... minding my own business... then my thoughts will drift to the lawsuit and either a past hurt or future worry, and BAM!  139..140.. BPM -- red alert!  Over the zone limits, so go to walking, try to re-focus my thoughts and get back to training in the right zone.   It is a truly amazing phenomenon.  It happens also if I am running or riding and start thinking about racing.  So, now -- the trick is -- how do I learn to control my thoughts to actually LOWER my HR while training?  I will have to re-read the book "Relaxation Response" and maybe work on that.  Would be helpful during a race I would imagine.

So... this past week or two I have been a minimalist and have hit maybe 2 bikes/runs/weights each week and pretty much no swimming.  Not too worried, as I tend to get water feel back fairly quickly, but would like to get that endurance going -- plus for some reason while swimming my thoughts don't drift... especially in a Masters group... I guess I am too focused on counting laps and hitting intervals.

I have also decided (sorry if I posted this already) to scratch my August sprint tri and continue to build base until September, when my program kicks in some speed work and I can focus on my September sprint and November 1st "A" race -- the Amica Sprint race at Lake Pleasant.  If anyone is interested, come on out to beautiful Lake Pleasant AZ -- really nice weather in November and a very challenging sprint course.

G -- I will be up in Denver August 26th and 27th for a team strategy meeting, and am contemplating staying over another day for...er... meetings (and maybe to get some more high altitude training in beautiful Denver)... do you ever get downtown Denver?  I'd buy the coffee!  I do enjoy going up there, CO is beautiful.

Anyway, hope everyone has a great weekend and happy training!

ken
2009-07-25 5:01 AM
in reply to: #2306601

User image

Champion
GordoByrn - 2009-07-24 4:09 PM
SSMinnow - 2009-07-24 5:53 AM So G, I was reading your latest article in EC with interest.  I do have a question on the statement below:

Looking at your profile photo -- probably not an issue for you!

We need to replace what we burn in training -- did you see Joe's recent blog on nutrition?  Really good advice:

http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2009/07/real-food-performance.html

I don't think that depletion training benefits athletes because it leads to over-eating outside of training, which is what you really want to avoid.

I advise people to work on improving the quality of what they eat when they are not training -- rather than going without when training.

13% is very low for a female athlete and you need the muscle/specific strength to improve as a cyclist/swimmer.

So I'd focus on the strategy that maximizes your training performance -- a lot more to gain there than knocking a kilo off your already lean/small frame.  I tell all my athletes to never lose the last kilo as it creates a lot of immune stress and slows recovery.

G
Thanks for the feedback.  I did read Friel's article earlier this week which makes total sense. I try to shop the perimeter of the store, but will start looking at his "sugar as the top three ingredients" recommendation.   It seems like there a different schools of thought on recovery immediately following exercises--protein/carb in the form of liquid only (e.g.chocolate milk) or solids (high GI carbs/protein).  What do you recommend?  I used to eat berries/yogurt post effort, but was told it would not absorb as fast as the liquids.  I have trouble thinking chocolate milk is better for me that fruit!

Also listened to your power webinar last night.  Did you ever do the follow up with the workouts?

Enjoy the weekend.
Suzy

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-07-25 5:03 AM
2009-07-25 11:50 AM

User image

Champion
Hey Guys....what's up this weekend? 

Had a really good day doing my 10m race this morning--1:16:38, #2 AG!

I am trying to learn how to judge RPE better so I turned on my GPS and never looked at it again until the end.  Ran about 80-85% effort the first 8m and had enough strength to let it rip the last 2m and pass a load of people.  Post analysis my HR was right around LT until the last mile, except for on some of the long hills.  Fueling worked well--70 cals using part of a Hammer Gel/tons of water.  Didnt beat LYs time, but I didn't think I would given a lot less mileage and my new focus on tris.  Overall, happy with the day.

The only downer is my one of the best Master's runners in Madison turned 45.  She is now in my AG for four more years and of course she was #1.  Bummer.

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-07-25 11:51 AM
2009-07-26 4:53 PM
in reply to: #2307194

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
  It seems like there a different schools of thought on recovery immediately following exercises--protein/carb in the form of liquid only (e.g.chocolate milk) or solids (high GI carbs/protein).  What do you recommend?  I used to eat berries/yogurt post effort, but was told it would not absorb as fast as the liquids.  I have trouble thinking chocolate milk is better for me that fruit!

Also listened to your power webinar last night.  Did you ever do the follow up with the workouts?

Enjoy the weekend.
Suzy

Recovery -- the schools of thought tend to split between people that get paid/sponsored by nutrition companies and experienced coaches/athletes, like Joe.  Now, that is an exaggeration but there are billions spent on convincing us that we have might lose our workout if we don't slug down processed food after every session.  You should look at sports nutrition as convenience food, you use it when real food might not be available.  It is not until you are training at the highest levels in our sport that you'll really need the sports nutrition.  We do need drinks/calories during our longest sessions but most of us will do just fine with regular food (like your fruit & non fat dairy) after training.

Workouts -- did you listen to the Half IM and IM webinars, respectively?  Both of those contain concepts, and sessions that you can apply to your training.  You can also review "The Corner" archive on XTri.Com for workout ideas a few articles... Running Well, World Class Endurance, and Training in the Fourth Dimension.  Finally... there is a big list of workouts in each of the sport specific sections of the Endurance Corner library -- Swim, Bike, Run.  LOTS of sessions.  That said, if you follow my training log... you'll see that, personally, I tend to keep it pretty simple.

Hope this helps,
2009-07-26 7:20 PM

User image

New user
Swim question.
Gordo, I think you said it would be beneficial to learn flip turns, but is there a benefit to learn other strokes and mix them into training?  I can backstroke, and reasonably breaststroke, but the fly would be a learning curve.  If there would be some benefit, it might be fun to learn something new.

thoughts?

2009-07-27 1:53 PM
in reply to: #2309002

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Ken in AZ - 2009-07-26 6:20 PM Swim question.
Gordo, I think you said it would be beneficial to learn flip turns, but is there a benefit to learn other strokes and mix them into training?  I can backstroke, and reasonably breaststroke, but the fly would be a learning curve.  If there would be some benefit, it might be fun to learn something new.

thoughts?

Yes there are clear benefits from the other strokes.  In order of value to triathletes (my view)... back, fly then breast.

That said, I think that the priority needs to be freestyle as you move through the stages of development outlined in my article (Benchmarking Your Swimming).

http://www.endurancecorner.com/library/swimming/benchmarking_your_swimming 

Fly: start with head up freestyle, chin at the water surface, head as still as possible // then progress to short swims (10-15 yds) of fly with easy freestyle recoveries.

Technique tip -- with all short axis strokes (fly, breast) look DOWN as much as possible.  There is a tendency to try to look forward and that drops the hips.  Look DOWN.

Technique tip -- with fly, enter WIDE with your hands -- when your hands go IN your butt goes UP

Don't sweat the kick, you'll have your hands full with:

1 - look DOWN
2 - enter WIDE
3 - hands IN butt UP 

2009-07-28 11:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
My pool water is ridiculously hot.  The high yesterday was 114 degrees, the pool is about 4 feet deep.  They don't have a temp thing in there so I don't know exactly how warm it is.  It is like swimming in bath water, bogus.
2009-07-28 6:30 PM
in reply to: #2312720

User image

Champion
cjhild - 2009-07-28 11:41 AM My pool water is ridiculously hot.  The high yesterday was 114 degrees, the pool is about 4 feet deep.  They don't have a temp thing in there so I don't know exactly how warm it is.  It is like swimming in bath water, bogus.

I can feel your pain.  A few weeks ago, the OW temperature in one of the smaller Madison lakes was 85F and swimming in a wetsuit was unbearable. You would think if you are paying to swim, they would control it better.

I took the day off and went to the site of my HIM to do the bike course and part of the run. The RD is known for having too few volunteers and poor markings on the course so I wanted to get a feel for things.  The bike course is hilly, but nothing like IM WI. I had the pleasure of going down, not once, but twice on some railroad tracks that were lined with potholes and pieces of the road were missing.  Thankfully, I had Steve there to pull me out of the ditch or out of my pedals.  The left side of me is kind of a mess and I am standing up in a wedding on Friday.  Definitely going to need a right side shot in the pictures.   The run is beyond hilly, it's like running continious loops of heartbreak hill.   Going back again in a couple of weeks to do the G Big Training Day---whole swim and bike and part of the run.  I find it really helpful to train on the course you will race on.

G--here is my question of the day.  In doing the HIM bike course today, I was in Z3 or higher 85% of the time, 52% of the time Z4 or higher. These new zones are based on my last hour long TT.  If I used my 30 min TT from 6 weeks ago to establish zones, I would have been in Z3 the majority of the time. RPE for today seemed more in line with my 30 min TT.  Is it possible that my lack of power, especially during the hill segments in the hour TT actually suppresses HR zones?  I know when I climb hills on the CT,  I not only lose watts, but my HR decreases as well.  Does it matter?

Hopefully, the above makes sense.

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-07-28 6:31 PM
2009-07-29 8:55 AM
in reply to: #2313820

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
G--here is my question of the day.  In doing the HIM bike course today, I was in Z3 or higher 85% of the time, 52% of the time Z4 or higher. These new zones are based on my last hour long TT.  If I used my 30 min TT from 6 weeks ago to establish zones, I would have been in Z3 the majority of the time. RPE for today seemed more in line with my 30 min TT.  Is it possible that my lack of power, especially during the hill segments in the hour TT actually suppresses HR zones?  I know when I climb hills on the CT,  I not only lose watts, but my HR decreases as well.  Does it matter?

++

Couple things here -- appropriate training effort vs appropriate race effort

How you feel in the three days after the workout will let you know how draining the training effort was.  If you find that you are/were whipped for more than 48 hours then probably too punchy for a training effort.

My advice for the race is to ride a little easier than you think you "should" or "can" -- then you will have your run data to review and see how close to your fresh paces you were able to come.  Nearly everyone swims/bikes too intensely so this strategy gives you the best shot at optimal pacing (which you check based on run performance).

For training, I think that segments of goal race effort mixed with Steady effort tend to work best -- it greatly reduces the stress of the total session to back off a bit and that will speed recovery.

Lose watts and HR falls -- you are putting out less power, doing less work so your HR falls -- that is normal.

What matters... for training -- the ability to repeat your week, and do key sessions that move you towards your goals.

What matters... for racing -- the ability to run well after the swim/bike.

Your consistency will be your best guide towards training zones.  In the race, take your off-the-bike performance back to run training performance and see how it stacks up.  

For HIM, if you end up running Z3 training pace with Z4 training HR then you are doing better than most.

When I get my HIM pacing correct can run low Z4 pace with high Z4 effort.  I benefit from deep endurance as well as a shorter event (4hrs) -- in certain ways my HIM is (physiologically) closer to an Oly race for the readers of this thread.

2009-07-29 12:42 PM
in reply to: #2314633

User image

Champion
GordoByrn - 2009-07-29 8:55 AM G--here is my question of the day.  In doing the HIM bike course today, I was in Z3 or higher 85% of the time, 52% of the time Z4 or higher. These new zones are based on my last hour long TT.  If I used my 30 min TT from 6 weeks ago to establish zones, I would have been in Z3 the majority of the time. RPE for today seemed more in line with my 30 min TT.  Is it possible that my lack of power, especially during the hill segments in the hour TT actually suppresses HR zones?  I know when I climb hills on the CT,  I not only lose watts, but my HR decreases as well.  Does it matter?

++

Couple things here -- appropriate training effort vs appropriate race effort

How you feel in the three days after the workout will let you know how draining the training effort was.  If you find that you are/were whipped for more than 48 hours then probably too punchy for a training effort.

My advice for the race is to ride a little easier than you think you "should" or "can" -- then you will have your run data to review and see how close to your fresh paces you were able to come.  Nearly everyone swims/bikes too intensely so this strategy gives you the best shot at optimal pacing (which you check based on run performance).

For training, I think that segments of goal race effort mixed with Steady effort tend to work best -- it greatly reduces the stress of the total session to back off a bit and that will speed recovery.

Lose watts and HR falls -- you are putting out less power, doing less work so your HR falls -- that is normal.

What matters... for training -- the ability to repeat your week, and do key sessions that move you towards your goals.

What matters... for racing -- the ability to run well after the swim/bike.

Your consistency will be your best guide towards training zones.  In the race, take your off-the-bike performance back to run training performance and see how it stacks up.  

For HIM, if you end up running Z3 training pace with Z4 training HR then you are doing better than most.

When I get my HIM pacing correct can run low Z4 pace with high Z4 effort.  I benefit from deep endurance as well as a shorter event (4hrs) -- in certain ways my HIM is (physiologically) closer to an Oly race for the readers of this thread.

G-
Really good insight. I never thought to equate stand alone run HR to tri run HR.  Looking back on it, most of my tri run HRs are in high Z2/low Z3 and that feels hard.  My stand alone run HRs for 10ks to half marathons is anywhere between Z4/Z5a and training Tempo runs are high Z3.

I'm going back to the HIM course in three weeks to swim the whole thing, bike the whole thing and probably run 30 minutes.  Is a reasonable experiment to bike in Z3 and try to run Z3/4? The run course is amazingly hilly so it probably won't take much to get my HR to skyrocket.

Thanks again.
Suzy

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-07-29 3:52 PM

2009-07-29 1:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
G-

I finally got around to doing a powerwalk (which you suggested weeks ago) to see where my HR is in that type of session.  I have avoided it as I feel like a DORK doing the arm swing thing while I am walking with purpose.  I know I should not but I do so far.  Can you take a look at this session and give me your thoughts?

Time of day- 6:00 am
Temp- 83 degrees
Length of session- 45:54
Distance- 3.35 miles
Average HR- 122
Max HR- 140

Attached to the post is the HR graph.

Questions:

1. Should I be going faster to get my HR higher in this type of session?
2. Is this a good session to repeat for my training?

(powerwalkHR.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
powerwalkHR.jpg (89KB - 2 downloads)
2009-07-29 2:08 PM
in reply to: #2315271

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Half IM Sim --

I think you'll find that you get a better training result from using segments of Half IM effort rather than, effectively, seeking to do the race in training.

++

Here is the basic version of the main set...

Bike 2:15 and start with ten minutes Easy
A two-hour continuous main set… Alternate 40 minutes Steady effort with 20 minutes Mod-hard effort
Finish with five minutes Easy cycling then…
Run 45 minutes as 3x15 continuous:
• Four minutes Steady;
• Six minutes Mod-hard;
• Four minutes Steady;
• One minute walk
Eat and drink at goal race levels.
Post workout, consider your early bike effort:
• Was it really Steady effort?
• Would you have been able to run at goal effort for your up-coming race?
• Would you have been able to lift your heart rate by at least 10bpm for the entire run leg of your up-coming race?

=========

A few common tendencies that you'll want to watch...

#1 -- Driving HR up too quickly early in the workout. If you do this then you'll end up pushing too many watts in the first half hour -- a looped course (say, three loops = ~2 hours) will show this to you very easily -- as will a power meter.

#2 -- If you push too intensely early then you will also see two things:

A - your HR will not come down when you back off in the second hour of the main set -- regardless of what you think... this is a clear sign that you'll need to adjust early pacing.

B - you will have BIG cardiac drift and an inability to hold Steady pace at Steady HR when you come off the bike. Your pace will be low and your HR will be very elevated.

=========

The implication if you experience "B" is that you need to take the entire main set down one gear so that you can get off the bike and your running paces are aligned. The reason is that this workout only contains 40 minutes of "Half IM" effort -- applying that 40-minute effort to a 90K TT will have you severely toasted on the run.

Your mind is going to try a lot of tactics to convince you that this isn't the case. Part of the reason why we do frequent, low-end aerobic run testing is that we need independent data to compare training to race performance.

=========

Modifications...

#1 -- Opening Run -- I think this if you don't have access to open water...

This run should end immediately prior to starting the Half Iron Simulation Brick.
Start at an Easy effort and have the last 20 minutes be Steady effort.
Do not go any faster, it is going to be a solid day of training!

***If you think you can handle a "high heart rate swim" then please make sure to match your swim HR to the run HR that you use for the last half hour of this opening run. Then look for de-coupling on the second run... NOTE -- I don't recommend this... however, it is the only way to make is crystal clear about the stress of an all-out swim TT to open the day.

#2 -- Opening Swim -- a classic would be 5x600 continuous in open water
a. easy
b. steady
c. mod-hard
d. fast
e. steady

Won't repeat myself...
http://www.endurancecorner.com/forum/swim/open_water_benchmarking

You can also use the Key Swim that you'll see from the day before your Anchor Day

#3 - Intensive Half IM Brick
For athletes that are later in their season; Half IM specific; and towards their top of their divisions... I'll modify the main set occasionally to...

40 min Steady, 20 min Mod-Hard
20 min Steady, 20 min Mod-Hard, 20 min lift effort by 10 bpm from ending HR during Mod-Hard

If you can't lift the HR then you are riding Threshold, not M/H. Best to dial down target effort for Half IM race so you can put your Threshold effort into the run where it buys the most speed.

#4 - Increase duration/intensity of Run
For athletes with: (a) a proven ability to pace the bike well in a race; and (b) a proven ability to do the basic session without decoupling, I will use this main set...

10 min Steady then alt by 5 minutes +/- 10s per mile from goal HIM pace with a focus on quick cadence -- that main set runs for 30-45 minutes.

This workout modification is desired by many, appropriate for few.

Key thing is to learn how to pace the bike so you can hit the Steady pace in Steady HR zone -- more bang for your buck there.

2009-07-29 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2315399

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Justin,

I think that more often as well as, occasionally, longer will be more effective than faster right now.

As you gain more experience with this session, look to increase the time that you are spending in Z2 (as per your chart).

As you repeat the session, you will find that the pace will tend to increase on its own.

The conquering the noise that we experience in training serves us REALLY well on race day when it is extremely challenging to stick to our own plans.

Cheers,

Edited by GordoByrn 2009-07-29 2:12 PM
2009-07-29 5:04 PM
in reply to: #2315557

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
GordoByrn

stick to our own plans

Tough one for me!

If I run three times a week now, how many should be a powerwalk?

I was very surprised the sweat I got going and how much my legs felt the session after just a "walk."  I may have to get out early for these when it is still dark so I can really get my arms into it.
2009-07-30 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2316014

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
If I run three times a week now, how many should be a powerwalk?

++

That is completely up to you.  Make sure that you continue to be able to hit tomorrow's training.  

I have worked with athletes that train in the dark, and/or the garages, while they build their self-esteem.  You may be surprised that the "fast" people have exactly the same issues.  The people at the top of the sport are pretty similar to you and me -- just quicker!

2009-07-30 1:40 PM

User image

Champion
Justin

I totally get the feeling like a dork phenomenon.  I used to have a major complex about my swimming.  I couldn't swim 25 yards without grabbing the wall and I felt everyone was looking at me and laughing.  I even went to the pool when I though no IM types would be there.  I finally just made peace with my progress. Every once in a while that little voice enters my head and I push it away by reminding myself how far I have come--think of the one or two major accomplishments and revisit them.  Keeping that postive mental image in the forefront is key. 

As a side note, I see a lot of people that were just like me at the pool just starting out.  I always try to smile or talk to them because I was once them.  Pass it on.

Suzy

PS Hit a major milestone this month...biked over 500 miles. Downside, crashed twice and am sort of a mess for a wedding I am standing up in on Friday!

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-07-30 1:45 PM
2009-08-03 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2317776

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
SSMinnow - 2009-07-30 11:40 AM Justin

push it away by reminding myself how far I have come--think of the one or two major accomplishments and revisit them.

Great point, I need to try to keep putting this into practice.  Sometimes I am good at it, other times not so much.

biked over 500 miles

Congrats!  That is awesome.  How did the wedding go?
2009-08-03 9:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Anybody watch Iron Girl on NBC this weekend?  It was awesome.  They showed the women getting setup in transition in the dark, took me back to my times getting my transition setup, got me excited for my next race!  Very cool to see that on TV since there is so little coverage of triathlon in the US. 
2009-08-03 1:19 PM
in reply to: #2323625

User image

Champion
cjhild - 2009-08-03 9:05 AM
SSMinnow - 2009-07-30 11:40 AM Justin

push it away by reminding myself how far I have come--think of the one or two major accomplishments and revisit them.

Great point, I need to try to keep putting this into practice.  Sometimes I am good at it, other times not so much.

biked over 500 miles

Congrats!  That is awesome.  How did the wedding go?

The wedding was great, but after three days I am glad it is over.  We've been best friends since kindergarten so I am really happy for her. It was a big training week to boot so now I am trying to catch up on sleep and life!

She's the tall one and I'm the shrimp!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring Rss Feed  

of 27