BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Super Cats Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2009-05-08 12:33 PM
in reply to: #2138904

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Subject: RE: Super Cats Mentor Group - CLOSED
losta - 2009-05-08 12:47 PM

I am trying to follow the training plan but I don't really think it's enough. Should I just add time or my own additional workouts or try to keep with the program?

Maybe there's a better training plan available? You might just need a more aggressive one than what you have now.

Or if you want to stick with your current plan, you could just add a percentage to the workouts. For example, if it says "swim 30 minutes," you could just add 10% to that. (Or whatever percentage works for you.)

If this were me and I wanted to keep the current plan: I'd probably stick to the "activity" but add to it. I'm thinking the plan probably alternates run/bike/swim days, so I wouldn't want to change that since I'd be worried about overuse injuries. (Who? Me? Injure myself? LOL) So instead, I'd add time or distance to each activity.

JMO.

2009-05-08 2:17 PM
in reply to: #2135612

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
D001 - 2009-05-06 11:34 PM Interesting running article. (At least, I thought so.) Run Softly, Naturally Can a Gait Makeover Improve Your Running? http://runningtimes.com/Print.aspx?articleID=15751

I actually enjoyed this article as well.  I've been reading some similar stuff and it has me thinking that my feet were in the best shape when I wore shoes the least (as savage country kid) or, at least, wore the least shoes (go go those halcyon days of Birkenstocks).  They've only become a mess since I am now nearly always in dress shoes and do alot of walking in the city.  With that in mind, I am really considering ordering some of the vibram 5-finger shoes aka "gorilla feet" as my better half called them (and threatened to never be seen again with me in public).

Walking on the beach made them hurt, but in a good way, so it did nothing to dissuade me from this notion.  Now, don't get me wrong, I won't be running in them but I think as a day-to-day shoe, they should help strengthen my feet.

I'm also picking up the new version of chi-running to see if that can help me prevent any injuries as well. 
2009-05-08 8:36 PM
in reply to: #2139357

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Sulcus - 2009-05-08 3:17 PM

D001 - 2009-05-06 11:34 PM Interesting running article. (At least, I thought so.) Run Softly, Naturally Can a Gait Makeover Improve Your Running? http://runningtimes.com/Print.aspx?articleID=15751

I actually enjoyed this article as well.  I've been reading some similar stuff and it has me thinking that my feet were in the best shape when I wore shoes the least (as savage country kid) or, at least, wore the least shoes (go go those halcyon days of Birkenstocks).  They've only become a mess since I am now nearly always in dress shoes and do alot of walking in the city.  With that in mind, I am really considering ordering some of the vibram 5-finger shoes aka "gorilla feet" as my better half called them (and threatened to never be seen again with me in public).

Walking on the beach made them hurt, but in a good way, so it did nothing to dissuade me from this notion.  Now, don't get me wrong, I won't be running in them but I think as a day-to-day shoe, they should help strengthen my feet.

I'm also picking up the new version of chi-running to see if that can help me prevent any injuries as well. 

I Googled the Vibram 5-finger shoes and read some reviews. I liked what I read about them... But some people said they had trouble with the fit if their 2nd toe was longer than the 1st. Mine are, so I decided not to get them - but I do love the idea of them.

I agree with you - I had the least trouble when I wore no shoes, and when I hung out a lot on the beach. Also, I didn't have trouble when I did some barefoot (with socks) running on the treadmill. But I don't think I can run outside with just socks, unfortunately! (Although, it didn't seem to faze me when I was a kid....)

I'll be interested in hearing what you think of chi-running. Let us know!

Edited by D001 2009-05-08 8:39 PM
2009-05-08 9:42 PM
in reply to: #2138904

User image

Champion
Sydney

losta - 2009-05-09 2:47 AM I am trying to follow the training plan but I don't really think it's enough. Should I just add time or my own additional workouts or try to keep with the program?

Hi,

Are all of the workouts not enough for you right now? Or is it specific sports of types of workouts that arent doing it for you? (swim, bike or run?)

What Im trying to work out is if you need more time or more intensity. For example..if I do a 30 minute cycle workout with lots of hills or TT fforts that can be MORE strenuous than a 1-1.5 hour cruise on my bike.

So do you need more variety in the types of workouts you are doing as well?

What specifically do you find isnt enough for you?

Cat

2009-05-08 9:55 PM
in reply to: #2072951

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
I just ordered the new chirunning book on my kindle. I would love to find a way to run more, it's amazing how much more you want to do something when someone tell you you shouldn't. How about forefoot running Ala' Newtons? Anyone know any slow, big runners running with Newtons?
2009-05-08 10:02 PM
in reply to: #2140085

User image

Champion
Sydney

losta - 2009-05-09 12:55 PM I just ordered the new chirunning book on my kindle. I would love to find a way to run more, it's amazing how much more you want to do something when someone tell you you shouldn't. How about forefoot running Ala' Newtons? Anyone know any slow, big runners running with Newtons?

Im what you would call a forefoot runner... I used to basically run on my tip toes which is bad bad bad....

These days I have to concentrate on trying to land towards the back of my foot which sees me end up a mid/forefoot runner...I definatley qualify as super slow and not optimum body size!

If I were in your current situation I would be looking into other options BEFORE looking at changing my running form. Changing your style without a plan and some guidance can be risky as there is a chance you are going to just make things worse if you arent yet sure what your current issues are in addition to the arthritis. 

I havent used Newtons personally but the reports seem to be that if you already run similarly to the style they are designed for they are great... but running shoes are so personal...

Have you been for the second opinion with the doc yet?

2009-05-08 10:06 PM
in reply to: #2140077

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
I think too little time because at this point it doesn't say anything about intensity. I was working out for an hour most days and this plan has mostly 20 - 35 minute workouts at this point, though it is only the first week I am in.

I've been trying to mix in some intervals swimming and "running" on my elliptical which is where I'm stuck now for a while until I can get a Doc to okay some running or I get fed up on my own and run.

Today the plan was for 30 min run, but I did that plus 30 minute swim. Tomorrow is 40 minute bike, for a Saturday I'd rather do at least and hour. Sunday is sort of Ok with 25 min run and 20 min swim still a bit short though.

kaqphin - 2009-05-08 10:42 PM

losta - 2009-05-09 2:47 AM I am trying to follow the training plan but I don't really think it's enough. Should I just add time or my own additional workouts or try to keep with the program?

Hi,

Are all of the workouts not enough for you right now? Or is it specific sports of types of workouts that arent doing it for you? (swim, bike or run?)

What Im trying to work out is if you need more time or more intensity. For example..if I do a 30 minute cycle workout with lots of hills or TT fforts that can be MORE strenuous than a 1-1.5 hour cruise on my bike.

Cat

Edited by losta 2009-05-08 10:10 PM
2009-05-08 10:15 PM
in reply to: #2140089

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
Tuesday is the next Doc. Monday I have Physical Therapy for my knee. I'm not rushing into anything just trying to line up my options.

kaqphin - 2009-05-08 11:02 PM

losta - 2009-05-09 12:55 PM I just ordered the new chirunning book on my kindle. I would love to find a way to run more, it's amazing how much more you want to do something when someone tell you you shouldn't. How about forefoot running Ala' Newtons? Anyone know any slow, big runners running with Newtons?

Im what you would call a forefoot runner... I used to basically run on my tip toes which is bad bad bad....

These days I have to concentrate on trying to land towards the back of my foot which sees me end up a mid/forefoot runner...I definatley qualify as super slow and not optimum body size!

If I were in your current situation I would be looking into other options BEFORE looking at changing my running form. Changing your style without a plan and some guidance can be risky as there is a chance you are going to just make things worse if you arent yet sure what your current issues are in addition to the arthritis. 

I havent used Newtons personally but the reports seem to be that if you already run similarly to the style they are designed for they are great... but running shoes are so personal...

Have you been for the second opinion with the doc yet?

2009-05-08 10:19 PM
in reply to: #2140095

User image

Champion
Sydney

Ok - I see no problem with making your rides longer... its good to have a 'long' ride once a week so making your bike ride an hour would be perfect...For the other rides you might want to try including harder efforts or climbs (after a good warm up) to see if that increases the intensity for the slightly shorter workouts.

Swimming is easy enough to also extend and because its LOW impact on you lower body I would definatley encourage extending this workout...we can workout what sort of thinks you could be including in here to make it more varied and fun too!

Which brings me to the run... I think given your current issues I would be leaving the elliptical/run session as is and using the extra time to do any PT exercises that the doc recommends... things like strengthening and stretching to help you heal may be a more beneficial use of your time?

losta - 2009-05-09 1:06 PM I think too little time because at this point it doesn't say anything about intensity. I was working out for an hour most days and this plan has mostly 20 - 35 minute workouts at this point, though it is only the first week I am in.

I've been trying to mix in some intervals swimming and "running" on my elliptical which is where I'm stuck now for a while until I can get a Doc to okay some running or I get fed up on my own and run.

Today the plan was for 30 min run, but I did that plus 30 minute swim. Tomorrow is 40 minute bike, for a Saturday I'd rather do at least and hour. Sunday is sort of Ok with 25 min run and 20 min swim still a bit short though.

kaqphin - 2009-05-08 10:42 PM

Hi,

Cat

2009-05-10 7:22 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Wow its very quiet in here!!! Hope everyones weekend is going well!!!

2009-05-11 12:29 PM

User image

Master

Hi all - I can't beleive it's noon and no one is here yet. 

We made it back from Cancun on Friday evening, and I'm still trying to get caught up.  House is squared away, but I've still got a bit of paperwork to do at work.

Looks like everyone's training is going well...mine is on hold for now.  Mexico has a grip on my intestines, so I'm not getting much energy from the foods I've been "eating."  I get this EVERY time I leave the country  The weightloss is amazing though...a pound-a-day

2009-05-11 5:58 PM
in reply to: #2143599

User image

Champion
Sydney

crews - 2009-05-12 3:29 AM

Hi all - I can't beleive it's noon and no one is here yet. 

We made it back from Cancun on Friday evening, and I'm still trying to get caught up.  House is squared away, but I've still got a bit of paperwork to do at work.

Looks like everyone's training is going well...mine is on hold for now.  Mexico has a grip on my intestines, so I'm not getting much energy from the foods I've been "eating."  I get this EVERY time I leave the country  The weightloss is amazing though...a pound-a-day

Welcome back!!! Sounds like getting healthy is the most impotant thing right now so take care and get better!

2009-05-11 6:02 PM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
So, I'm just learning about how a gut doesn't really fit into the standard wetsuit and I need one for my race at the end of the month.  I'm thinking about just renting one to get a better idea about how they fit and because I've lost 10 lbs in the past two months so I can't really see dropping a ton of money when it might not even fit by the end of the season.  Anyone have any experience with this?  (Yes, I read all the threads here I could, I'm just looking for some any last minute input.  Search is indeed my friend!  Tongue out

It's down to wetsuitrental.com or f2r.com since both come recommended and seem to be good about helping out those of us who are a little more ample in our girth.

If anyone else is in this boat, I'll let you know how things turn out.
2009-05-11 6:14 PM
in reply to: #2144445

User image

Champion
Sydney

Sulcus - 2009-05-12 9:02 AM So, I'm just learning about how a gut doesn't really fit into the standard wetsuit and I need one for my race at the end of the month.  I'm thinking about just renting one to get a better idea about how they fit and because I've lost 10 lbs in the past two months so I can't really see dropping a ton of money when it might not even fit by the end of the season.  Anyone have any experience with this?  (Yes, I read all the threads here I could, I'm just looking for some any last minute input.  Search is indeed my friend!  Tongue out

It's down to wetsuitrental.com or f2r.com since both come recommended and seem to be good about helping out those of us who are a little more ample in our girth.

Hi - until you are sure on your size and your bodyweight is stable then renting will no doubt be the most cost effecitive option, especially if you are still loosing weight.

The only situation I would suggest where you need to buy one is if the cost of renting for multiple races over say the season is going to be MORE than the cost of buying an entry level wetsuit.

Apart from the wetsuit how are you feeling about the upcoming race?

2009-05-11 8:03 PM

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Sulcus - 2009-05-11 7:02 PM
I'm thinking about just renting one to get a better idea about how they fit and because I've lost 10 lbs in the past two months so I can't really see dropping a ton of money when it might not even fit by the end of the season.  Anyone have any experience with this?  (Yes, I read all the threads here I could, I'm just looking for some any last minute input.  Search is indeed my friend!  Tongue out

Speaking from a scuba (rather than a tri) viewpoint.... I agree - Definitely rent for now. It may take a few tries until you know what size/style works best for you. Also, there's no sense in spending lots of money for something that won't fit next month.

Are there any tri-related stores nearby? If so, you may be able to rent directly from them. This is good because you can go there and try them on until you find one that fits.

BTW, you may want to rinse it before you put it on. Again, speaking from the viewpoint of scuba.... when the wetsuits came back in, they got rinsed in disinfectant solution, but uh, it wasn't always a very thorough washing....

2009-05-12 5:50 AM

User image

Veteran
State College, PA
Hey, everyone!

I know people keep saying this, but this time it's true: I feel so out of it!  I haven't checked in for a long time.  Life's just gotten in the way of life.  Anyway, I'm motivating myself to get back into my routine.  No better time than the present, right?

I will try to catch up on the posts some time today and get caught up on some of the conversation.

In the meatime, this is something I learned from a book I just read and I think it's a great way to keep track of your progress.  I copied it from my blog yesterday:

MAF Run

OK, so I'm going to do this run at least once every two weeks, if not every week.  It's called the Maximum Aerobic Functioning run and it should be a very good indicator of how my aerobic conditioning is improving.  You run nice and slow for about 5-10 minutes to warm up, then increase your pace to a nice comfortable below-threshold HR.  I set my watch to alert me when my heart rate reached 160.

Now, you run for 15 minutes while keeping your heart rate within a specific and fairly tight range.  I set my watch to alert me if my HR went above 165 or dropped below 160.  However, I'm going to change that next time because I found I can actually keep it between 163 and 165 without too much trouble as long as the course is fairly flat.

After 15 minutes, just turn around and jog comfortably home.  So... the idea is that as my fitness improves, the distance I travel in that 15 minutes (today it was 1.96 miles) should slowly increase.  My perceived effort will be the same because I'm maintaining the same HR, but I'm actually going faster at that heart rate and covering more distance.  If I'm not going further each week or two, then I'm definitely doing something wrong with my diet, rest or workouts.

It will be an interesting experiment and a great way to stay motivated.

Edited by JoeBWan 2009-05-12 8:18 AM

2009-05-12 6:04 AM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Great to have you back for a bit!!!

I know sometimes life is busy etc so do what you can and check in when you can...even if its just hello or with a question!!!

2009-05-12 8:28 AM

User image

Veteran
State College, PA
Sulcus - 2009-05-11 7:02 PM So, I'm just learning about how a gut doesn't really fit into the standard wetsuit and I need one for my race at the end of the month.  I'm thinking about just renting one to get a better idea about how they fit and because I've lost 10 lbs in the past two months so I can't really see dropping a ton of money when it might not even fit by the end of the season.  Anyone have any experience with this?  (Yes, I read all the threads here I could, I'm just looking for some any last minute input.  Search is indeed my friend!  Tongue out

I can't help you out with past experience since I did the whole of last season without a wetsuit, however, I would love to hear how it works out for you, especially if you do the rental thing.  I'm not quite sure how that would work, but it might be a better option for me, as well.  Keep us up to date on what you decide to do, ok?

Thanks!
2009-05-12 9:03 AM
in reply to: #2145307

User image

Champion
Taser-World
So.... my watch broke. I need a new one.

Any suggestions?

My old one didn't have any "cool" features. For the new one, I at least want a repeating count-down timer, so that I can do my jog/walk intervals without having to stare at the watch the whole time!

Thanks!

2009-05-12 9:17 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Sulcus - 2009-05-11 7:02 PM So, I'm just learning about how a gut doesn't really fit into the standard wetsuit and I need one for my race at the end of the month.  I'm thinking about just renting one to get a better idea about how they fit and because I've lost 10 lbs in the past two months so I can't really see dropping a ton of money when it might not even fit by the end of the season.  Anyone have any experience with this?  (Yes, I read all the threads here I could, I'm just looking for some any last minute input.  Search is indeed my friend!  Tongue out

Shawn, what size are you, i may have a cheap recommendation, let me know, i may be able to help.

2009-05-12 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2145425

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
D001 - 2009-05-12 10:03 AM So.... my watch broke. I need a new one. Any suggestions? My old one didn't have any "cool" features. For the new one, I at least want a repeating count-down timer, so that I can do my jog/walk intervals without having to stare at the watch the whole time! Thanks!

i use a nike triax 300, don't know if it has countdown, but i paid like 70 bucks on ebay and it works well, and counts laps, i use it every race for my splits Run t1 &t2 bike and swim.

2009-05-12 1:22 PM
in reply to: #2145470

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
Rudedog55 - 2009-05-12 10:17 AM

Shawn, what size are you, i may have a cheap recommendation, let me know, i may be able to help.

Thanks Rudy!

I figure I put this stuff up in my log so I might as well put it here as well.

6'1.5"
46 - chest 
47 - waist
46 - hips

Yeah, those aren't even rounded off measurements.  I am VERY oddly symetrical.  The problem is that my chest and my hips are usually one size and the gut is two sizes off in another direction, usually in a suit made for someone 6'7".  I haven't had a chance to call either rental place yet so any possible help you can give would be appreciated. 

For everyone else, don't get me wrong, I'm exceptionally happy that I am down 10 lbs, a little over an inch in the chest and hips and 3/4 of an inch in the gut (why couldn't it go faster??) but it's making wetsuit finding a bit of a chore.  :P
2009-05-12 1:32 PM
in reply to: #2145425

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
D001 - 2009-05-12 10:03 AM So.... my watch broke. I need a new one. Any suggestions? My old one didn't have any "cool" features. For the new one, I at least want a repeating count-down timer, so that I can do my jog/walk intervals without having to stare at the watch the whole time! Thanks!

This is something like what I am currently using, though I don't have it in front of me.  I think it only has 1 countdown timer on it so that's sort of drawback.  I also think I actually activate the FLICK feature sometimes without knowing it because laps magically appear while I'm swimming.  I guess I'll have to read the manual someday.

http://www.amazon.com/Timex-Ironman-30-Lap-Resistant-T5F851/dp/B00093DSCK

If this is just for training and since I'm spending your money, just go big and ugly with the Forerunner 305.  You can pre-program intervals into it, track how far you've gone very easily and then head back hime to your computer where you review charts showing your heart rate skyrocket up and down at each interval like mine does!  Laughing
2009-05-12 2:21 PM
in reply to: #2146288

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Sulcus - 2009-05-12 2:22 PM

Thanks Rudy!

6'1.5"
46 - chest 
47 - waist
46 - hips

Yeah, those aren't even rounded off measurements.  I am VERY oddly symetrical.  The problem is that my chest and my hips are usually one size and the gut is two sizes off in another direction, usually in a suit made for someone 6'7".  I haven't had a chance to call either rental place yet so any possible help you can give would be appreciated. 

For everyone else, don't get me wrong, I'm exceptionally happy that I am down 10 lbs, a little over an inch in the chest and hips and 3/4 of an inch in the gut (why couldn't it go faster??) but it's making wetsuit finding a bit of a chore.  :P

Shawn, you have a PM

2009-05-12 3:35 PM
in reply to: #2146491

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
Rudedog55 - 2009-05-12 3:21 PM
Sulcus - 2009-05-12 2:22 PM

Thanks Rudy!

6'1.5"
46 - chest 
47 - waist
46 - hips

Shawn, you have a PM

And you have a reply from this rather obtuse guy. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Super Cats Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 58