BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-02-19 10:32 AM
in reply to: #2557497

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
Subject: RE: KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED
I just spent a few days with some flu.  I knew I was getting better yesterday when suddenly I was planning workouts and trying to figure out how/whether to change my workout plans for the rest of the week.  I've got therapy this afternoon and then I'll do a long swim/elliptical combo.

I spent last weekend in Evansville visiting family.  I worked out at the local  Y while I was there and discovered that there is at least one elliptical model I don't totally hate (just mildly).  My right heel is still feeling bruised and painful all the time.

Congrats on all these long runs.   You guys inspire me!  I'm scheduled for a 5mile this weekend - the longest I've ever done.

Cheryl

2010-02-19 1:49 PM
in reply to: #2681670

User image

Master

lovesreading - 2010-02-19 10:32 AM I just spent a few days with some flu.  I knew I was getting better yesterday when suddenly I was planning workouts and trying to figure out how/whether to change my workout plans for the rest of the week.  I've got therapy this afternoon and then I'll do a long swim/elliptical combo.

I spent last weekend in Evansville visiting family.  I worked out at the local  Y while I was there and discovered that there is at least one elliptical model I don't totally hate (just mildly).  My right heel is still feeling bruised and painful all the time.

Congrats on all these long runs.   You guys inspire me!  I'm scheduled for a 5mile this weekend - the longest I've ever done.

Cheryl

Glad you're feeling better!  Good luck on your run this weekend.  Getting a new 'longest distance EVER' is always fun

2010-02-19 4:45 PM

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
I just got cleared by my therapist to return to running!  Smile

So long as any pain is 2/10 or lower and doesn't make me change my gait, I can run otherwise it's back to the helliptical.  I'm also dropping to once a week appointments.  Also got some new running shoes.  The store guy thinks my hard old shoes are the probable cause of the heel pain... guess I'll see...

The therapist's new torture:  balancing on one foot with my eyes closed.  He said this one helps reduce injuries by improving your ability to read and react to changes in what your feet are feeling as you run.   This is actually a tough one for me as my balance system works differently than most people's due to an operation (no inner ear / balance nerves on the left side) and I rely heavily on sight to keep my balance.  It's going to be really interesting to see if I can learn to do this.  Should be fun - I've learned to ski and to ride my bike again, both things I thought I'd never be able to do without falling over.

Cheryl
2010-02-20 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
Hi all! Day one of training for the Wildflower Olympic Distance is today! I joined Margot's tri club, and they do a program called TAG, which stands for tri and give. It trains people who are psuedo-beginners in tris for a 10-12 week period. Today, the group meets at 9:00 for a ride then run. I think the ride will be roughly 60 minutes and then an easy 20 minute run. I say I think because they haven't ben exactly clear about the workouts and times. I hope all that changes. I'm very Type-A, and going with the flow and following a coach is driving me nuts. I'm hoping to learn a lot from this experience, then take what I learn to train on my own, and then with the group when I chose.
2010-02-20 10:25 AM

User image

New user
Sandusky
Hey everyone, sorry I've been MIA but I took the week off due to my injury.  I thought it was my IT band but upon further research I think it might be my piriformis muscle..The pain is basically in the middle of my butt.  Anybody ever had this problem? 

I've been foam rolling and icing.  I feel like it's getting better but not as quick as I'd like. I think it's because I spend a lot of time on my feet at both of my jobs.  I'm going to try swimming this week and see how I feel and I might try and do some weight training. 

I'm really trying to take it easy until this feels better because  I dont' want to push it and then be out for a month or more.

Sounds like everyone is kicking butt in training! yay group!
2010-02-20 5:25 PM
in reply to: #2683357

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
erin.kelsey - 2010-02-20 10:25 AM

Hey everyone, sorry I've been MIA but I took the week off due to my injury.  I thought it was my IT band but upon further research I think it might be my piriformis muscle..The pain is basically in the middle of my butt.  Anybody ever had this problem? 

I've been foam rolling and icing.  I feel like it's getting better but not as quick as I'd like. I think it's because I spend a lot of time on my feet at both of my jobs.  I'm going to try swimming this week and see how I feel and I might try and do some weight training. 

I'm really trying to take it easy until this feels better because  I dont' want to push it and then be out for a month or more.

Gosh, never had that one before. Once it gets better, sounds like you might benefit from some strength training.

Keep on the foam roller. I hope it gets better soon!

2010-02-20 5:26 PM
in reply to: #2682664

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
lovesreading - 2010-02-19 4:45 PM

I just got cleared by my therapist to return to running!  Smile

So long as any pain is 2/10 or lower and doesn't make me change my gait, I can run otherwise it's back to the helliptical.  I'm also dropping to once a week appointments.  Also got some new running shoes.  The store guy thinks my hard old shoes are the probable cause of the heel pain... guess I'll see...

The therapist's new torture:  balancing on one foot with my eyes closed.  He said this one helps reduce injuries by improving your ability to read and react to changes in what your feet are feeling as you run.   This is actually a tough one for me as my balance system works differently than most people's due to an operation (no inner ear / balance nerves on the left side) and I rely heavily on sight to keep my balance.  It's going to be really interesting to see if I can learn to do this.  Should be fun - I've learned to ski and to ride my bike again, both things I thought I'd never be able to do without falling over.

Cheryl

WOO-HOO! Run like the wind!

Interesting balancing on one foot with the eyes shut. A lot of the exercises NASM uses for beginning clients involved controlled stability... with one leg... etc.

2010-02-20 5:27 PM
in reply to: #2681670

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
lovesreading - 2010-02-19 10:32 AM

I just spent a few days with some flu.  I knew I was getting better yesterday when suddenly I was planning workouts and trying to figure out how/whether to change my workout plans for the rest of the week.  I've got therapy this afternoon and then I'll do a long swim/elliptical combo.

Cheryl

How did the 5 mile run go? Do it yet?

2010-02-20 10:29 PM
in reply to: #2683357

User image

Veteran
Chicago
erin.kelsey - 2010-02-20 10:25 AM Hey everyone, sorry I've been MIA but I took the week off due to my injury.  I thought it was my IT band but upon further research I think it might be my piriformis muscle..The pain is basically in the middle of my butt.  Anybody ever had this problem? 

YES, been there, done that, NEVER want to be there again! Stretch, Stretch, Stretch, and did I say STRETCH??? Your IT band gets tight because of the piriformis muscle being tight. Foam rollers are good, tennis balls are better specifically in the "right" area. Have you had Xrays?  I'm asking because my piriformis issues lasted over a year, THEN a doctor who actually knew what he was doing (LONG story) discovered that my Piriformis issues stemmed from a SI joint disfunction, none of my doctors were addressing the root cause, so It just kept comming back. An Xray will rule out the SI joint problem, especially if you don't have relief in 6-8 weeks. GET WELL SOON!
2010-02-21 12:04 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Hey everyone... in case you missed it... here is my cousin's 100 mile.. aka: 80 mile RR.

It's a good read.

I think it's important to see how others push their bodies... because it reminds us to not put limits on ourselves.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

2010-02-22 11:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't been checking in much lately, things got busy here! As Christina mentioned, our TAG training program started this last weekend. Having fun so far, but it's been a bit of an adjustment getting up early on the weekends. I'm usually lazy and sleep in a bit on Sat and Sun. Aside from training and work my husband and I are prepping for our trip to Italy that we'll be taking in March. Busy busy. Keep up the great training everyone!

2010-02-22 1:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
Hey guys,

Hope everyone had a good weekend. I did a sprint tri on Sunday. Luckily I got over whatever bug I had on Saturday. It was a small race, with lots of friends. I was very happy with my race. I dropped 5-6 minutes from the last sprint I did coming in at 1:24 and I felt much stronger throughout the race. The training is definitively working. Gotta keep focused though... Still can't imagine doing 8 times that much!!!! I was pretty dizzy, after the swim... any one get this? I was a little choppy because of the wind and I did get a couple of good gulps of nice salty water. It took a few minutes on the bike formy stomach down to settle .

I will upload my times in a bit...

Have a great week
2010-02-22 3:06 PM
in reply to: #2686338

User image

Master

gerrydiego - 2010-02-22 1:36 PM Hey guys,

Hope everyone had a good weekend. I did a sprint tri on Sunday. Luckily I got over whatever bug I had on Saturday. It was a small race, with lots of friends. I was very happy with my race. I dropped 5-6 minutes from the last sprint I did coming in at 1:24 and I felt much stronger throughout the race. The training is definitively working. Gotta keep focused though... Still can't imagine doing 8 times that much!!!! I was pretty dizzy, after the swim... any one get this? I was a little choppy because of the wind and I did get a couple of good gulps of nice salty water. It took a few minutes on the bike formy stomach down to settle .

Have a great week

Nice time on your tri!

I usually get a bit dizzy after a hard swim.  If I stay in the water, I'm fine, but when I get out and jog to T1 is when it hits me.  I try to take it easy and not look directly down.   I think it's because we don't take in as much oxygen when swimming as we are able to while biking or running.  I'm sure there's a more technical answer out there, but that's my humble opinion

2010-02-22 9:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
gerrydiego - 2010-02-22 1:36 PM Hey guys,

Have a great week

Nice job on the sprint Tri!! Don't know why, but I can say that I do get that feeling occasionally myself, Crews explaination on the oxygen makes sense!
2010-02-22 9:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
Thanks for the positive feedback. I have a feeling it has to do more with the head moving side to side so much during the swim and maybe being horizontal and standing up quickly... and I am sure the big gulps of sea water did not help Embarassed

2010-02-24 9:18 AM
in reply to: #2687373

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
gerrydiego - 2010-02-22 9:43 PM Thanks for the positive feedback. I have a feeling it has to do more with the head moving side to side so much during the swim and maybe being horizontal and standing up quickly... and I am sure the big gulps of sea water did not help Embarassed

Great job on your tri!!! I sometimes have the same problem during OWS. Have you tried earplugs?

2010-02-24 9:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Hope every one is doing well. I've been MIA as well....had a nice long staycation with my boyfriend this past weekend and gorged myself silly on food and did very little training. It was AWESOME!! I need to rest, recover, and pretty much reset. I do feel good....maybe a little bloated (from too much going out to eat) but I feel reinvigorated!

Hope everyone has a great hump day and happy training!
2010-02-24 6:55 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
gerrydiego - 2010-02-22 1:36 PM

Hey guys,

Have a great week

Great job on dropping the time!

Dizzy after swim... it's common. I heard it has something to do with the blood not circulating through the legs if you don't kick. So they say to start kicking some before you are about to exit. Then again, maybe you get off balance from swimming in the waves?

2010-02-24 6:55 PM
in reply to: #2690373

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
tnguyen1 - 2010-02-24 9:21 AM

Hope every one is doing well. I've been MIA as well....had a nice long staycation with my boyfriend this past weekend and gorged myself silly on food and did very little training. It was AWESOME!! I need to rest, recover, and pretty much reset. I do feel good....maybe a little bloated (from too much going out to eat) but I feel reinvigorated!

Hope everyone has a great hump day and happy training!

Boyfriend? This is a new development!

2010-02-26 12:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras

C´mon guys. We dropped to page 2!!! ;-)

Did a nice 10k run with some intervals. The sprints kicked my ...  but they were fun.

Tomorrow an easy 40k ride.

have a good one

G

2010-02-26 11:15 AM

User image

Master

Page 2 ???  We're better than that.  Guess everyone is out training too hard to post 

My husband ordered P90X for his birthday, and it just came in today.  We are going to start tomorrow...I'm pretty sure the next few days are going to be painful.

Only have to run 6 miles this weekend.  I love love love taper

Marathon on the 7th...a little scary!

2010-02-26 9:30 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Hello everyonr. Well I am runnung a half mary in the morning. Big d was running it but since he had those kidney stones and has been MIA lately I am not sure he still is.

Ok I am off to bed. Night night
2010-02-26 10:24 PM
in reply to: #2696499

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
KSH - 2010-02-26 7:30 PMHello everyonr. Well I am runnung a half mary in the morning. Big d was running it but since he had those kidney stones and has been MIA lately I am not sure he still is. Ok I am off to bed. Night night
Good luck tomorrow! I have one more run in the morning tomorrow and then on Sunday my husband and I are off to Italy for vacation for two weeks. I promise to have a full report when we get back!
2010-02-26 11:39 PM
in reply to: #2696559

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
calimavs - 2010-02-26 10:24 PM
KSH - 2010-02-26 7:30 PMHello everyonr. Well I am runnung a half mary in the morning. Big d was running it but since he had those kidney stones and has been MIA lately I am not sure he still is. Ok I am off to bed. Night night
Good luck tomorrow! I have one more run in the morning tomorrow and then on Sunday my husband and I are off to Italy for vacation for two weeks. I promise to have a full report when we get back!

Good luck tomorrow Karen, and have a great time in Italy Margot. We are getting ready for Miami in a couple of weeks. Should be fun.

2010-02-27 7:48 AM
in reply to: #2683904

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
KSH - 2010-02-20 6:27 PM
lovesreading - 2010-02-19 10:32 AM I just spent a few days with some flu.  I knew I was getting better yesterday when suddenly I was planning workouts and trying to figure out how/whether to change my workout plans for the rest of the week.  I've got therapy this afternoon and then I'll do a long swim/elliptical combo.

Cheryl
How did the 5 mile run go? Do it yet?

Sorry it took so long to reply.  I replied using my Blackberry but have discovered that it didn't post.

I didn't make the run last Sunday.  I'd forgotten that was the day of my annual Boy Scout ski trip with my teens.  It was my daughter's first time ever.  She sobbed her way through her lesson but by the end of the day we were on the easier intermediate slopes together.  By the time we got back, the Y was closed and it was dark... and my legs were jelly.

I've run two 3.5mile sessions in my new shoes with almost no heel pain.  Tomorrow will be my 5mile.  I'm still on track with Higdon's 1/2 mary novice plan.

The closed eye balancing is really frustrating.  I can still only hold about 5 seconds.  The therapist says don't give up, that this is a really tough one to learn and requires persistance.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27