BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-09-05 8:58 AM
in reply to: #3082584

User image

Expert
MI
Subject: RE: Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED
Okay, interesting, thanks!

2010-09-05 3:03 PM
in reply to: #2776638

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Alright guys I competed in my tri today...overall had a good race...I will post my race report later...hope everyone has a great Labor Day holiday.. Be safe in all your training..Tim
2010-09-05 10:16 PM
in reply to: #3083022

Woodstock
shake-n-bake - 2010-09-05 4:03 PM Alright guys I competed in my tri today...overall had a good race...I will post my race report later...hope everyone has a great Labor Day holiday.. Be safe in all your training..Tim

Congrats, Tim!  Did you do the one at Calloway Gardens?  I seriously considered doing that one, but due to my wife's work schedule, it would have been too hectic.  I can't wait to read your race report.  Happy Labor Day, to you, too!  --Russ
2010-09-06 12:02 PM
in reply to: #3083361

User image

Expert
MI
Colin, it's too late now but for future reference...

So I did the hour long ride followed by a 2 mile brick today.  My question is, for the run, how hard is too hard during race week?  I ended up doing the run at about a minute/mile faster than my sprint tri run pace... I feel that's too fast?  What type of pace should I have been aiming for?
2010-09-06 12:36 PM
in reply to: #3083022

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
shake-n-bake - 2010-09-05 4:03 PM Alright guys I competed in my tri today...overall had a good race...I will post my race report later...hope everyone has a great Labor Day holiday.. Be safe in all your training..Tim

Congrats Tim!  Looking forward to checking out your race report.
2010-09-06 12:42 PM
in reply to: #3083784

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-09-06 1:02 PM Colin, it's too late now but for future reference...

So I did the hour long ride followed by a 2 mile brick today.  My question is, for the run, how hard is too hard during race week?  I ended up doing the run at about a minute/mile faster than my sprint tri run pace... I feel that's too fast?  What type of pace should I have been aiming for?

Hey Samantha,

During race week, your run efforts should be relatively easy.  However, you do want to spend some time doing "strides" or race pace efforts.  Typically these are intervals of anywhere from 30 second to 5 minute efforts with about the same amount of recovery after each.

Since you're still almost a week out, that actually may not have been a bad thing to do.  However, as the race gets closer, the race pace efforts get shorter and shorter.

Does that help?

2010-09-06 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Happy labor day everyone!
2010-09-06 5:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia

Alright friends here is my race report.. Hope you enjoy all comments are welcomed.. Headed out now for a little recovery run.. Hope everyone had a safe Labor Day..http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=225541

Edited by shake-n-bake 2010-09-06 5:39 PM
2010-09-07 7:53 PM
in reply to: #3084093

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Just read/commented on your RR Tim.  Way to go!  Terrific job as usual!
2010-09-07 10:07 PM
in reply to: #3086355

User image

Ok, my big race (Nations Tri (Olympic)) is this Sunday.

- Did my last distance swim today.  Water temp looks like we might be w/o the wetsuit, so I'm trying to get mentally prepared for that.

- Finally found something that keeps the goggles from fogging.  Baby shampoo cut with water.  I can finally see.

- Planning on a light bike/run brick tomorrow and then a light swim on Thursday.

- Practice swim in the river on Saturday and then race on Sunday.

- Colin: Looks like potential rain on Sunday.  Any suggestions?  Take is easy on turns, stay off the lines with the bike.  What else....

BTW: Took 3rd in a Virginia Regional Shooting competition this past weekend.  I was 1st after day one, but dropped a couple of points on Sunday and fell to third.

Take Care,
Mark
2010-09-08 7:45 AM
in reply to: #3086560

User image

Veteran
Georgia
mdgould - 2010-09-07 11:07 PM Ok, my big race (Nations Tri (Olympic)) is this Sunday.

- Did my last distance swim today.  Water temp looks like we might be w/o the wetsuit, so I'm trying to get mentally prepared for that.

- Finally found something that keeps the goggles from fogging.  Baby shampoo cut with water.  I can finally see.

- Planning on a light bike/run brick tomorrow and then a light swim on Thursday.

- Colin: Looks like potential rain on Sunday.  Any suggestions?  Take is easy on turns, stay off the lines with the bike.  What else....

BTW: Took 3rd in a Virginia Regional Shooting competition this past weekend.  I was 1st after day one, but dropped a couple of points on Sunday and fell to third.

Take Care,
Mark

Good Luck this weekend Mark.. Just stay focused and everything will be fine...

Tim

2010-09-09 7:19 AM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
mdgould - 2010-09-07 11:07 PM Ok, my big race (Nations Tri (Olympic)) is this Sunday.

Take Care,
Mark

Hey Mark,

As far as the rain goes, I don't really have many suggestions.  Yes, you will probably need to take it a little easy around the turns, but besides that, just try to avoid the puddles and you should be fine.  The rain typically slows you down a little bit, but it is definitely great for the run so try to take the positive out of the situation.

Your training plan for the week sounds good.  Is the race swam in the river?  Do you swim with the current the whole time?  If so, you could have one heck of a swim split.  With or without the wetsuit, just remember to stay relaxed and take it slow at the beginning of the race because everyone goes out way too fast.

Let me know if you have any other last minute questions, but I think you're going to do great!  Please be sure to let us know how it went. 

Best of luck Mark!
2010-09-09 7:21 AM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH

Take Care,
Mark

Hey Mark,

On yeah, more thing about riding in the rain.  If its raining I strongly wearing glasses during the ride as sometimes on the downhills it feels like needles hitting you and you don't want the rain shooting in your eyes.

Good luck once again.
2010-09-09 9:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Hello everyone...

Got my bag packed/bike ready to go... A little 10-15 min ows/20 min bike/10 min run in the morning then I will make my way to Gulf Shores,AL for an Olympic tri on Saturday..

Hope everyone has a good weekend...My goal is to beat my Chattanooga time which was 2:45..

Tim
2010-09-10 7:34 AM
in reply to: #3090523

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
shake-n-bake - 2010-09-09 10:24 PM Hello everyone...

Got my bag packed/bike ready to go... A little 10-15 min ows/20 min bike/10 min run in the morning then I will make my way to Gulf Shores,AL for an Olympic tri on Saturday..

Hope everyone has a good weekend...My goal is to beat my Chattanooga time which was 2:45..

Tim

Best of luck with that Tim!  It does depend on the course, but I'm pretty confident you'll be able to achieve this goal.   Of course, let us know how it goes and have a great weekend!!!
2010-09-10 8:51 PM

Woodstock
Good Luck to you both, Mark and Tim!  And Mark, congratulations on the 3rd place finish - that's amazing! 

--Russ

2010-09-10 10:31 PM
in reply to: #3092363

User image

Thanks folks.  Gear is all packed up and ready to go (I think).  Weather is cooling off too and rain looks to be a certainty now.  I'm not worried about the rain, but it's looking like it will be hovering right around 70 deg.  That's a bit cold for me, especially considering we'll be all wet, won't dry off, and it will almost certainly be overcast with no sunlight to warm up.  We'll see.

Was checking the bike yesterday and noticed some bubbles in the front tire.  Looks like some of the layers were delaminating, so I changed both tires today.  Didn't really want to do something like that right before a race, but I'd rather do it now than out on the course.  Took a very short ride and they feel a bit different, but good.

Roger that on the sunglasses.  I don't ever ride w/o them.  Too many bugs to run into around here and I suspect a raindrop to the eyeball at speed wouldn't be great.  The swim is a down and back and pretty close to the shore, so I expect one leg to be faster and/or easier than the other.  Plan is to take it easy on the swim and just make it out of the water.

Tim: You should already be in bed, but good luck in your race.  Smile

Take Care,
Mark

2010-09-12 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3092424

User image

Expert
MI
I've posted my race report.

This race was severely disappointing.  I had to walk halfway through the run because my hamstring tightened up.  To make matters worse, I think it's a serious injury now.  My hamstring up to my glutes really hurts now.  I don't know what the cause of this was.  A few days before the race (I'll say starting Wednesday as I recall) I started having this odd feeling in my hamstrings up to my glutes (where the problem is now), but I didn't think it was anything to worry about.  You know, "taper madness" as they say....  Well, yeah, that was just the start of it.  I just don't know how the problem began.
2010-09-12 10:50 AM
in reply to: #3093413

User image

Veteran
Georgia
michgirlsk - 2010-09-12 9:29 AM I've posted my race report.

This race was severely disappointing.  I had to walk halfway through the run because my hamstring tightened up.  To make matters worse, I think it's a serious injury now.  My hamstring up to my glutes really hurts now.  I don't know what the cause of this was.  A few days before the race (I'll say starting Wednesday as I recall) I started having this odd feeling in my hamstrings up to my glutes (where the problem is now), but I didn't think it was anything to worry about.  You know, "taper madness" as they say....  Well, yeah, that was just the start of it.  I just don't know how the problem began.

I posted on your RR/proud of you for finishing even though ii wasn't the time you wanted....
2010-09-12 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Alright I did my first ocean swim this weekend and survived it...I will post my RR report later after I get all my times together...Suffered through the run and was disappointed because if I could have maintain that run average from last week I would have been on the podium...The run was brutally hot and I saw a lot of people walking.. Hope all is well with the others

Tim
2010-09-13 7:19 AM
in reply to: #3093542

User image

Alright, raced the Nations Triathlon (Oly) in the rain and heavy mist yesterday.  All three legs went about like I expected and probably could have gone a bit faster on the run, but that's ok.  Swimming upstream was a challenge as was riding in the rain.  Folks were getting flats all over the place and one guy crashed right in front of me.  For some reason on a fast straight he jumped the curb and flew off into the bushes.  The bike was a bit slower than I'd have liked (1:19:48 @ 18.6), but considering the weather and road conditions it was ok.  Run was good, but it would have been nice to go a hair faster and break the 1hr mark.  All-in-all a good time and I finished my goals of 1) finishing and 2) coming in somewhere between 3 and 3.5 hrs.  Total time was 3:05:28.  Will do up a race report when I have more time.

Take Care,
Mark

2010-09-13 10:54 AM
in reply to: #3093413

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-09-12 9:29 AM I've posted my race report.

Hey Samantha,

Just read and posted on your race report so please take a look at my comments.  As I said there, I know you're disappointed, but look at the bright side!  Congrats on completing a half Ironman!!!
2010-09-13 12:10 PM
in reply to: #3093542

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
shake-n-bake - 2010-09-12 11:54 AM Alright I did my first ocean swim this weekend and survived it...I will post my RR report later after I get all my times together...Suffered through the run and was disappointed because if I could have maintain that run average from last week I would have been on the podium...The run was brutally hot and I saw a lot of people walking.. Hope all is well with the others

Tim

Well at least you were in contention for the podium!  Looking forward to the race report and congrats on what sounds like was another good race for you, despite the heat.
2010-09-13 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3094762

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
mdgould - 2010-09-13 8:19 AM Alright, raced the Nations Triathlon (Oly) in the rain and heavy mist yesterday.  All three legs went about like I expected and probably could have gone a bit faster on the run, but that's ok.  Swimming upstream was a challenge as was riding in the rain.  Folks were getting flats all over the place and one guy crashed right in front of me.  For some reason on a fast straight he jumped the curb and flew off into the bushes.  The bike was a bit slower than I'd have liked (1:19:48 @ 18.6), but considering the weather and road conditions it was ok.  Run was good, but it would have been nice to go a hair faster and break the 1hr mark.  All-in-all a good time and I finished my goals of 1) finishing and 2) coming in somewhere between 3 and 3.5 hrs.  Total time was 3:05:28.  Will do up a race report when I have more time.

Take Care,
Mark

Congrats Mark!  It sounds like you did great!  Looking forward to your race report so definitely let us know when you have it up.
2010-09-13 4:18 PM
in reply to: #3095267

User image

Expert
MI
To be completely honest, I feel unfulfilled.  Don't get me wrong, I am quite glad I finished the race!  But I'm not quite sure where to go from here.  First of all, I need to get recovered from this hamstring thing, which I *hope* will happen quick!  I'm seriously considering adding in another tri.  The HIM was supposed to be somewhat of a "grand finale" and it just seemed like quite the anti-climactic end.  Not having done half of the run, I honestly feel like I didn't even work that hard during it.  My plan was basically to do all the hard work during the run and that was not able to happen.  It was like a glorified training day... 1500m swim, 56 mi bike, 6 mile run.

Also, I am SO glad I did all the sprint tri's that I did, because I do have those to feel good about.

I'm not looking for pity, just ranting a bit.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 24