BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chet's Group is out doing it!- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2011-02-27 2:56 AM
in reply to: #3256537

Subject: RE: Chet's Group is out doing it!- Closed
Congratulations on breaking the hour mark. Great to see an improvement at this early stage. Sounds like you had a fun time.

2011-02-27 10:24 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Great job David! Big improvement in a short time.
2011-02-27 10:24 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Great job David! Big improvement in a short time.
2011-02-27 4:06 PM

User image

Amsterdam
Hey guys,

Just a quick update...   I had a very light week, with 1 day of cross training, 2 days of long walks (10km + 21km), and one 12km running race.   Explanation:  I was feeling a bit overwhelmed this week (various things), and I didn't want to force it.  My body probably appreciated the rest though, considering that I've had several weeks of heavy mileage increases.  Next week will be a new chance to pick things up again..

In other news..   today was the 12km Baggerloop!   Here's my race report:

Baggerloop Parcours

After a ~1.5 hour drive from Amsterdam, my friend Philip and I arrived at Westernboerderij de Baerle in Didam.  It was a typical Dutch winter day -- overcast, 7 degrees C, and drizzling.  After parking the car, we picked up our race numbers from the chaotically busy registration desk, changed clothes, and hid inside the nearby heated club house until the start.

Prologue: I realized when signing up for this race that I was going to be the slowest runner.  Small Dutch races / triathlons tend to attract "hardcore" participants.  (Even in March 2009, when I was in marathon shape, I still placed dead last at the Baggerloop!)  "Normal people" don't participate in these events in the Netherlands.  These races are fun..  so I couldn't tell you why!

Goal pace: From my archives..  in March 2009 (2 weeks before my Half Marathon PR of 1:56:39 at an 8:53 pace), I ran the 12km Baggerloop at a 12:01 min/mile pace.  (This included losing my shoes twice along the parcours!)  I figured that somewhere roughly in that neighborhood would be good.  But more generically -- my plan was to simply go at a pace where I could enjoy myself, and put forth a good personal effort.

The Baggerloop this year didn't dissappoint..  it was as fun (and as tough of a slog) as I remember!  This year's race included: 6 canal crossings, 2 lake segments, slippery trails, field crossings over dirt mounds and sticks, and grassy areas with so much mud that it was like running through quicksand!   In a typical moment of grace, I fell over backwards during the first canal crossing, and got soaked up to my sports bra.  On a positive note, I didn't lose my shoes this year..   (although several times during the race, both of my legs sank into the mud up to my knees, and I almost fell over!)

As an aside..  those muddy parts REALLY sap your strength!   I was reduced several times to walking -- more accurately, stumbling every couple of meters as my feet kept getting sucked into muddy black holes!  Despite the reduced tempo, it was positively exhausting..   I had to recover on the (non-muddy) running parts.

After much willpower (and faith in the power of constant forward motion), I reached the finish in 1:29:25 (12:19 min/mile).  As predicted, I came in dead last.   OK, I passed a few 6 km runners in the first half..  but as soon as the 2nd loop started, they all dropped off, and I didn't see a single runner the entire 2nd loop.  The race volunteers had already started removing the course markers..  but they did point me in the right direction, with some encouragement, "Kom op.. jij bent de laatste deelnemer!"  (Translation:  come on..  you're the last participant!).

Slightly embarassed (but still enjoying myself), I was hoping to make my last-place finish in a non-descript manner.   But no such luck -- I already heard them announcing my name a half kilometer before the finish.  When I got to the final stretch, the announcer started running next to me shouting, "Jaaaa..  hier komt de laatste deelnemer, Melanie van R. uit Amstelveen!"  The announcer then urged me into a final sprint, and I crossed the finish line into a large crowd.  Two guys then each grabbed me by one leg, hoisted me up in the air, and started parading me around the finish area, shouting "hup! hup! hup!".  A professional television camera was pointed straight at me.

The two guys eventually put me back down, and I made my escape to the gear tent.  I grabbed my bag with dry clothing, took a few photos, and picked up my finishers' cup of split pea soup.  I was universally greeted with:  "hey, you're the woman who came in last..  good job!"   Philip seemed amused.  So much for a non-descript finish.   ;-)

Conclusion: the Baggerloop (as in previous years) was challenging and fun.  (And the finish was, ummmm..   memorable!)  I'll post a few photos from the race tomorrow (or the day after).

Next weekend, I'm signed up for the 20 van Alphen, a 20 kilometer road race (no mud!) in Alphen aan de Rijn.   There's never a dull moment in my training schedule...     :-)

Mel
2011-02-28 10:16 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Mel- Awesome race report!!  It sounds like a very memorable race and a lot of fun after you got out of the mud.  I was cracking up so it had to be fun to actually be there.  

Just got back into town so I will get caught up today.  Hope everyone had a great weekend. 
2011-02-28 3:14 PM

That sounds a lot of fun Mel! We need to see the pictures of the finish. Or better still video footage if you can get it from the TV! The winter races round here are much the same in that they attract the hardcore runners. Last year I was soundly beaten by men dressed as reindeer and the like in a December race. As long as we are all having fun it doesn't seem to matter.

2011-02-28 4:06 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Mel - Your races sound way more fun than anything on this side of the pond!  Glad to hear it was a good race and that you survived uninjured.  

Last night was my last really long run before the half mary on the 13th.  Workout was a 2 hour run, I was hoping for 13 miles but finished the 2 hours at 12.85 miles.  Not bad considering the 40+ mile on the bike the morning before, all day Saturday walking around a theme park, and a rather large lunch of Mexican food.  My family went to the beach yesterday afternoon, rode bikes, then played in the sand.  I left from the beach and ran home.  I loved the looks on the drivers faces stuck in traffic as I passed them on my way to the bridge.  
2011-02-28 6:42 PM

User image

Regular
Henderson
Hello everyone, so much great stuff has been going on. 

David, great job making the time you wanted on your Tri.

Mel, great race report.  That sounds totally fun and challenging.  Way to hang in there and go for it. 

This week my goal is to get back to it.  Last week was very unproductive for me training wise.  I missed my last 2 swim classes, not feeling well mentally.  I did run on Friday as planned but just a short one.  This morning I went for a swim and practiced some of the drills I learned from the classes.  I feel much better in the water and hope to keep improving there over the next 2 months. I bought a wet suit yesterday.  Looking forward to it's arrival and also going out to the open water to try it out. 

The weather should be improving here in Vegas this week and I am just ready for warmer weather since my training time is early mornings.  Tired of the cold.

Hope you all have a great week.

2011-02-28 10:51 PM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Here's my first ever bike race photo!!!

Raby Bay triathlon
2011-02-28 10:53 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Ross- loved your last sentence!  That is what makes it a lifestlye.

Chris- Congrats on getting over the hump!  I always savor the start of taper.

Sheila- I go through those type of slumps too.  What helps me is changing things up a little.  New music on the Ipod, a new route for a run, or the nice weather coming can really get me going again.  I promise it will be worth it when you cross the finish line of Irongirl.  The races are the easy part, training is hard.

Took the road bike in for some TLC.  Getting it ready for the long group rides that come with the nice weather.  I can't wait!
2011-02-28 10:53 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
David- nice pic!!  I never look fast like that in my photos

2011-03-01 12:02 PM

User image

Regular
Henderson
Chet, support helps too, thanks.  I got up and went for a run this morning, not to bad out.  Tomorrow I will bike.

David, love the race photo. 

Ross, those pictures are beautiful.  Looks like a pretty good climb.  Did I read the website correct? Scottland?

Robert, how was the 10k last weekend?  Great feeling I bet finishing that loop w/o a rest stop.  Great job. I hate when I have to stop when Im swim, bike or running. 

Chris, I always think to myself "I wonder what people think when they drive by me running or biking".  I like to think maybe "we" spark something that will get them out there doing something too if they don't already.  I know when Im in the car and see runners or bikers I check em out, say some kudos and then say man I wish I was out there right now. 

Mel, hows it going today?  How are you feelilng from the weekend race? 

Hey Jeff, how are things going?  How's the R hip recovering?

Have a great day all.
2011-03-01 4:18 PM

Hey Sheila, you did read correctly, I live in the Highlands of Scotland. Home of great Whisky, haggis and bagpipes! Seems we have a pretty diverse group eh?

On a different note I managed a personal triathlon today... biked to the pool, swam 1k, biked to work, worked for a few hours (6 hour transition anyone?) and ran home. Taking a leaf out of Mel's book and integrating the training into the commute. Seems a good way to minimise the impact on family life.

We are gonna take our kids to swimming lessons tomorrow morning after which I will get dropped off at work and I already have a bike there to get me home! I love it when a plan comes together.

Working this weekend but if I can swing an early finish on Sunday I am gonna go for my first 10k of the year. It starts 30 mins after my scheduled finish time and is 20 mins drive away so I am cutting it fine. We shall see. Two weeks off after the weekend tho so whatever happens I should get some quality miles in then.
2011-03-01 6:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Hip recovery is going well. RICE therapy. Rest and heat worked best. Got back into a spin yesterday, jumped right into a build session. It went well. Gained a little weight on the recovery. Mel- that was a great race report. Chris- I am jealous of the bike photo, cool pic. All the recent pics are good.
I demo'd the Adamo Century and I like it ordering this week. I will get $20 off if I order within 30 days of returning. Starting the 12 week Oly program today. Also, signing up for tri training at local club this weekend. Also, entering into a cool little multisport in this area to end the winter. Check it here: http://slideriderunglide.com/ BUsy, busy, busy.
2011-03-02 2:58 AM

User image

Amsterdam
Jeff: that Slide, Ride, Run, Glide race sounds fun..    :-)
Ross: great photos!
David: nice Actionphoto! 
Sheila: don't worry about temporary slumps..   (I had one last week..)   It sounds like you're doing a great job w/ your training!    Keep it up!!!   :-)
Chet: have fun on your group rides!   And how is the heel doing?
Chris: enjoy your taper -- it sounds like you're ready for the half marathon!
Robert: ride anymore single track lately?   :-)

As for me..  I (stupidly) decided to do a few sets of pushups in the evening on Sunday, and then do some crosstraining (including the rowing ergometer) on Monday..   it was a bit too much for my notably wussy upper-body, and wound up giving me a bit of pain in my pectoral muscles (of all places).  To avoid bouncing around too much, I stuck to cross-training (treadmill walk at 15% incline) in the gym yesterday.

As of this morning, my chest is starting to feel a bit better -- but we'll have to see how it goes throughout the day.   I'll run if my upper body feels good enough, and cross-train otherwise.   But either way, I'll be cautious about it.  (I figure that this is gonna take a week to heal completely..  and I don't want to have any problems during my 20km race this weekend.)

Anyways..   off to a work meeting now..
Mel
2011-03-02 8:42 AM

User image

Amsterdam
BTW...     here's a few photos from the Baggerloop.    :-)

Running through the mud
Running through the mud

Gone swimming!
Gone swimmin'

Shoes after the finish
Shoes after the finish

Edited by grrlrunner 2011-03-02 1:28 PM

2011-03-02 11:04 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
That mud looks brutal!!!!The tri I am doing at the end of the month is a point to point bike that is all up hill at an average grade of 7%. Just a 10 mile ride but over 2 thousand feet of climb. Great first tri of the year.
2011-03-02 8:39 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
I have a scheduled run tomorrow!!  Tested the heel and it feels 100%.  We will see tomorrow. 
2011-03-02 10:38 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
We had a track meet tonight at the high school, nothing like watching young, fast athletes to make you feel old and slow!  Still managed to get my workout in, speed work around the condo complex a few blocks away.  Looking forward to this weekend.  I will be working at the Florida Double Iron race in Tampa.  30+ hours of whatever they need, medical service, cook, lap counter, pace runner, pace rider at 2 AM, cheerleader....  Should be quite the experience.
2011-03-03 9:52 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Double iron, ugh.  People are capable of so much more than most of us think.  

Chris- what gets me with kids is how quickly they recover.  Us old guys need some time. 
2011-03-03 1:36 PM

Double iron??? Thats crazy! People do the funniest things. Speaking of which I love the photos of the mud Mel, that looks properly funny. Was it cold?

2011-03-03 5:55 PM

User image

Expert
Noosa

Check out the website Ross, there's also a TRIPLE IRON!!!!!!!!!

Obviously double iron is too easy for some people....Surprised

David

Edited by copa2251 2011-03-03 9:45 PM
2011-03-03 8:50 PM

User image

Regular
Henderson

Hello, well I ran the Iron Girl course this morning.  It's a 5k but ran a little more than 4.  It is mostly on a dirt road with some gradual inclines, up and down.  Will definetly be running that several more times before the race in April.

Ross, we do have a very diverse group, that's what makes it awesome to be talking to people across the world doing the same things we love to do.  I like your thinking on the personal Tri.  I wish I could ride to work.  It would take a couple/few hours.  Great job though getting in the miles. You certainly have some dedication with your attempts to get that 10k in, hope it works out.

Jeff, that slideriderunglide sounds awesome. Good to hear the hip is doing better.

Mel, great pics.  Looks like fun.  How are the pecs doing?

Chet, what Tri is it that you are doing? Where is it? Glad to hear the heel has healed!  How did the run go?

Chris, kudos to you for putting in so much time to helping out the fellow athlete. I agree with Chris, double really and tripple? That is just INSANE! I have yet to see a tri in person.  Im thinking my first might be my first, lol.  I love track, I went to a bootcamp class here in Vegas for a while and we had track days.  Really does help with speed, I miss that a lot.

Well been trying to get this post off between calls at work so here it goes!!  Hello to anyone I missed hope everyone has a great night and HAPPY FRIGGEN FRIDAY!!

2011-03-03 8:57 PM

User image

Regular
Henderson

I got my wetsuit yesterday, whoo hoo.  Sorry no pictures, lol.   First one ever, I was able to get it on ok and it feels ok.  I am wondering though, it felt like it needed to be pulled up more, PARDON in the "crotch" but it doesnt move easily and I was trying to be careful as not to put my finger through it trying to pull it up.  Is there some special trick or product that can be used to make it easier to put on?   It's a Vortex Full Xterra, is that a good one?  I feels like it may be harder to swim in it so I am anxious to get in the open water to try it out.  Not sure if it feels like that just because that's what it's suppose to feel like or too small.  I ordered according to height/weight. 

Thoughts, comments, suggestions!!  Thanks.

Edited by ibeshela 2011-03-03 9:27 PM
2011-03-03 10:27 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV

Sheila- they are supposed to fit tight and it will loosen up some after you swim in it.  It will feel strange at first but you will swim faster with it on.  Xterra is a good suit.  You just need to hike that thing up as much as you can.  It helps to have it looser in the shoulders.  There are no suit peelers at Iron Girl so you also need to practice a bit on getting that thing off  

Showdown at Sundown starts at Boulder Beach, bike ends in Bootleg and the run goes out toward the Pass and back.  

The heel is HEALED!!  Test run went really well.  That and about 3 hours of bike maintenance today on all the bikes.  I am now ready for the nice weather.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chet's Group is out doing it!- Closed Rss Feed  

of 28