BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Allison and Ryan's Beginner Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2011-06-09 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3276373

User image

Regular
London, AR
Subject: RE: Allison and Ryan's Beginner Mentor Group - FULL

Have fun Tripopo and be safe!

No Workout today for me. Still sporting a tender knee and new shoes come in today YAY! So 5k on Saturday will be my next workout per say Laughing

Happy Training All!

2011-06-09 1:19 PM
in reply to: #3538730

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Viking58 - 2011-06-08 9:35 AM
huntnjerm - 2011-06-08 10:18 AM

Good Luck Alath!

Happy Training All!

Question:  I've been experiencing numbness in just my left foot during running, and I've been trying to diagnose it.  Last night, I went for a 2.6 mile jog/run and I wore my elastic knee brace around my calf (similar to a compression sleeve), and I noticed a little bit of improvement, but the foot still went numb.  Is anyone else familiar with or have experience wearing compression sleeves around the lower leg.   (I've tried, looser shoes = slight improvement, no knee brace = slight improvement)  Biggest improvement so far..  Any suggestions?  Should I invest in a quality pair?

I am not sure about numbness but it could be related to your shoes or brace.  Maybe your brace is too tight or pinching a nerve or something that runs down your leg?  I would definitely recommend getting professionally fitted for a pair of running shoes at a tri or running-specific store. They should give you several pairs to try on and watch you run on a treadmill in all of those pairs.   I used to run in an $80 pair of Adidas cross trainers that I bought at DSW.  I kept experiencing knee pain in one of my knees after running anything over 2 miles.  I figured it was just a knee problem from skiing in my youth. But I went to a running store and they watched me run in 5 different pairs of shoes and I ended up getting a pair of Brooks for $100. No more knee pain so it's definitely worth it!

2011-06-10 3:26 PM

Extreme Veteran

Good luck to Alath and anybody else racing this weekend!

Couple more training sessions today and tomorrow and then the last week before my Tri! Hopefully it all works out.  My daughter's been sick and has had a fever these last couple of days and my wife cant' take off work so that means I'm on sick kid patrol.  It also means that I haven't been able to get as many workouts as I had originally planned. 

Oh well, I'm guessing that at this point those extra workouts probably wouldn't have affected my performance that much anyways given that I'm now about 1 week out.

2011-06-12 10:16 PM
in reply to: #3536663

Veteran
Indiana

dnoble - 2011-06-07 10:08 AM Here's another "celebrating improvement" moment.  I went for my ride last night at around 6:45 when the temps had dropped to a brisk 93, and rode for 65 minutes (14 miles) and the heat didn't bother me at all.  And since I had eaten a real dinner already I just powered my way through the whole ride.  And my house is at the top of a mile long hill that usually just kicks my ### so I'm always taking a short break on the way back in order to make it up.  Not last night, never stopped, just went right up the blasted hill..

Breakthroughs are great.

Having a breakthrough going up a hill is awesome!

2011-06-12 10:25 PM

Veteran
Indiana

First Race!

Report is up.

Posted some reflections and thoughts over here: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=256008&posts=8#M3545390

Regarding training, I felt strongest on the bike. I think one of the things that has helped me a lot is my spin class - the instructor is a triathlete (he was actually the overall winner of this event). His spin classes are heavy on intervals and he is a big believer in recovery. I really felt the benefits of this today - I was in that great zone where you are working hard, but feeling great. It was really gratifying that I made a lot of passes going up hills. Several times, I would be gradually catching up to someone on a flat, then just blow by them on a hill.

This in turn makes me want to do more similar pattern work with my running and swimming - workouts where there is a variety of different kinds of high-intensity challenges interspersed with active recovery.

2011-06-13 7:33 AM
in reply to: #3545406

User image

Regular
London, AR

Nice Alath! I bet it was a great feeling finishing your first and feeling that accomplishment high after all the training etc. Great race summary!

For me I ran a pick me up 5k on Saturday that didn't go as well as I hoped. First 2 miles I was coughing terribly. At mile 2 I finally seemed to clear my lungs and was able to salvage a pace that would match about my normal workout pace. So yeah I was disappointed that I didn't get to pace faster like I had planned but it felt good to get out and race and be around other athletes. I placed 2nd in my age div. I think there were 10 of us in that division. and I finished like 22nd overall out of 76 runners.

As far as workouts go. I got back on the bike yesterday and did 21 miles at an easy pace. Knee felt good.

Then I did 4 mile run this morning and that went great. My lungs felt better but still coughing afterwards.

In summary I am making an appointment with my doctor to hopefully get in today or tomorrow as a month with this cough is way too long.

Happy training all!

2011-06-13 9:23 AM

User image

New user
NW Indiana

Great job Alath!!

My training has been scarce and probably won't improve this week....just too busy. Going to take it easy on the legs anyway...will probably mostly swim this week. I have a 100 mile 2 day ride on Friday and Saturday from Chicago to Michigan. Probably not the wisest thing a week before my first race but my son and I are riding it together.....I'll gladly risk some performance ( not that I'm expecting stellar performance anywayUndecided) for the chance to spend these two days riding with him. Then it's the final week before my race...whoo hoo

2011-06-13 12:38 PM
in reply to: #3541166

Lexington OH
blackledge - 2011-06-09 2:19 PM
Viking58 - 2011-06-08 9:35 AM
huntnjerm - 2011-06-08 10:18 AM

Good Luck Alath!

Happy Training All!

Question:  I've been experiencing numbness in just my left foot during running, and I've been trying to diagnose it.  Last night, I went for a 2.6 mile jog/run and I wore my elastic knee brace around my calf (similar to a compression sleeve), and I noticed a little bit of improvement, but the foot still went numb.  Is anyone else familiar with or have experience wearing compression sleeves around the lower leg.   (I've tried, looser shoes = slight improvement, no knee brace = slight improvement)  Biggest improvement so far..  Any suggestions?  Should I invest in a quality pair?

I am not sure about numbness but it could be related to your shoes or brace.  Maybe your brace is too tight or pinching a nerve or something that runs down your leg?  I would definitely recommend getting professionally fitted for a pair of running shoes at a tri or running-specific store. They should give you several pairs to try on and watch you run on a treadmill in all of those pairs.   I used to run in an $80 pair of Adidas cross trainers that I bought at DSW.  I kept experiencing knee pain in one of my knees after running anything over 2 miles.  I figured it was just a knee problem from skiing in my youth. But I went to a running store and they watched me run in 5 different pairs of shoes and I ended up getting a pair of Brooks for $100. No more knee pain so it's definitely worth it!

Yes.  I got fitted at a very good running store.  I'm a almost flat-footed, heavy, neutral runner (very few flat footed runners are neutral).  They put me in Brooks Dyads, which are amazing.  I ran with a patella band (only did 1.3 miles) and it felt much better.  No knee brace, no compression.  Will try it tonight when I run the 3 miles.  If I still get the numbness, will add the compression back to the mix for the next 3 mile run.

2011-06-13 12:52 PM

User image

Regular
London, AR

Well just got back from doctor appt. And good news is the pneumonia was broken up nicely but lungs still have a lot of congestion and sinus infection to boot. He put me on a 2 week antibiotic and inhaler and asked i lay off the exercise for a week to 2 weeks so my lungs have a chance to clear up. UGH, I am going to go crazy waking up daily and not being able to at least run! Ah well I do need to get 100% better so we will see in a week where I am at but I don't know if I could hold off for 2 solid weeks!

Happy Training All!

2011-06-14 9:17 AM

Extreme Veteran

Good news on the pneumonia Jeremy! Hope you recover sooner versus later.

Taper week for me. Yay! I guess I've done all the training I can and it's getting time to put it all to the test.  Yesterday went for a 15minute swim but I was having problems with the lap button on my watch so I just ended up swimming.  Felt pretty drained after only 15minutes though.  I don't know if it's because I was pushing hard and not knowing it or if my body is telling me to slow down a bit. 

Still, went for a short run this morning (2.62 miles per google) and actually broke 9min/mile!  My pace was 8:56! Woot! This was also a surprise for me.  This is a semi-new route for me (my short route) so it's still hard to guage my pace by landmarks.  I knew I was pushing a bit harder than normal but this is a nice surprise. 

Now I can't wait to get on the bike again.  I started fiddling with my position again over the weekend with the aerobars.  They feel alright but still not quite right.  On Saturday, mid-ride, I came up out of the saddle a bit and came down again but a bit more forward.  Found myself riding on the very tip of the seat, which oddly enough wasn't uncomfortable.  That slight change pushed me over the aerobars more but more importantly seemed to change my hip/leg position a bit.  I found myself able to pedal with much more strength but without more effort.  Next thing I know I'm maintain about 23mph on the flats!

Just have to keep this up for til the race!

Hope everyone is doing and training well!

2011-06-14 8:22 PM
in reply to: #3548080

Veteran
Indiana

Sounds like you found something on the bike, wushunut. I wonder: did you get your bike professionally fitted? Reason I ask is, a lot of places that do fittings will do "re-tweak" fittings free or reduced price. If I found something like that, I'd want to go back to the bike store and give them that feedback and maybe they can readjust your bike around it to give you something even better. This popped into my head because my LBS does have a "lifetime re-tweak" fitting deal, and in the three months since I got my bike I've lost weight, gained upper body flexibility, and bought a new saddle - probably time for a retweak.

I've had a couple of good days in the pool. Last week I started swimming with the masters group at my Y. I am getting a lot of good feedback on form, and they're pushing my limits pretty hard. I just started swimming last October, and sometime around Jan-Feb I was in a phase where I'd get out of the pool with this strange mixture of exhaustion and elation every time. Then I went into a phase where I was continuing the lessons and working on form, but I guess I wasn't really pushing myself in swim fitness because now that I'm getting poolside coaching and strict timing with every workout, I'm back to that elated/exhausted feeling.

2011-06-15 9:20 PM

Extreme Veteran
Well the LBS I bought from is pretty old school.  I wouldn't call them a certified fitter.  They were literally using weights hanging on strings to check angles and such.  They actually didn't make too many adjustments.  At the same time I told them I didn't want to compromise the road fit for a TT fit on a roadbike.  I just kind of discovered that riding a bit forward help me get the power down more efficiently.  I was able to confirm it on todays ride too. Last brick before the race. Going way down on volume so just a 10mile ride with a 2 mile run.  Kept the intensity up for the ride.  With the new position I was maintaining 22mph and just hitting 23mph on the flats. Over the entire ride I was still able to manage a 21.2mph pace.  Eased up a lot before the run though.  Legs were pretty toasty.  Still took about 3/4 of mile to get my natural stride back.  Felt pretty good though.  One last short swim tomorrow, then rest before the race!
2011-06-16 8:10 AM

User image

Regular
London, AR

WOW getting real close now Wushunut! Good luck and can't wait to read all about it.

As for me, I'm still in limbo, taking my meds and trying to occupy my mind on other things as I am having a hard time not getting up at 5am for a run or bike ride. Other good news is I have located a Tri club here in AR that I may join. They have training sessions throughout the week and then bug runs/rides on the weekends.

Happy Training All! And where did everyone go?

2011-06-16 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3551581

Veteran
Indiana

wushunut - 2011-06-15 10:20 PM Well the LBS I bought from is pretty old school.  I wouldn't call them a certified fitter.  They were literally using weights hanging on strings to check angles and such.  They actually didn't make too many adjustments.  At the same time I told them I didn't want to compromise the road fit for a TT fit on a roadbike.  I just kind of discovered that riding a bit forward help me get the power down more efficiently.  I was able to confirm it on todays ride too. Last brick before the race. Going way down on volume so just a 10mile ride with a 2 mile run.  Kept the intensity up for the ride.  With the new position I was maintaining 22mph and just hitting 23mph on the flats. Over the entire ride I was still able to manage a 21.2mph pace.  Eased up a lot before the run though.  Legs were pretty toasty.  Still took about 3/4 of mile to get my natural stride back.  Felt pretty good though.  One last short swim tomorrow, then rest before the race!

Sounds like you are primed to go. Have fun in your race!

2011-06-16 2:26 PM

User image

New user
NW Indiana

I've been lazy all week, so not much training to report. Going to get packed and check the bike over one more time tonight before my tour ride this weekend. First time touring on the bike, so this should be interesting.

Good luck Wushunut.....you must be stoked and ready.....I have a little over a week and can't wait.

2011-06-16 6:04 PM

St. Paul

hi everybody....

I'm back from vacation and scared silly about my race next saturday. i've not had a chance to do an open water swim yet (no wetsuit and the water temps have been at 63... but they are supposed to be approaching 70 now... so there's hope for me ).

I ran while away but not nearly enough. I'm worried, but I think I will try it anyway. I did my first brick yesterday - a 9 mile bike followed by a 1.4 mile run. Oh my - it's much harder to run on legs that have just gotten off a bike. But as hard as it felt while running, once I was done, I seemed OK. So I guess the idea is - don't give up. It becomes about a certain amount of mental toughness. Just keep going. I see the value though of pacing.

Anyway - wushnut - you must be close to your race too... Is it this weekend? SPD - you are racing the same day as me. You sound much more ready than I feel! And Jeremy I'm so glad you are finally seeing some improvment on the pneumonia. Dan - glad you are sticking with it. It seems pretty clear that summer gets away from you really quickly huh?

HOpe everyone is doing well.

Mary

2011-06-17 12:14 PM

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the well-wishes everyone.  I've just resting these past two days and I'm starting to get really jittery!  Both anxious for the race but anxious about it at the same time!  I'm not sure why.  I guess I just need to focus on my main goal, which is just completing it for now but I'm discovering a competitive nature within me that wants to not just complete it but to compete as well!

So I've heard the "nothing new on race day" advice but what is everyone's thoughts on new tires?  I've been riding on the stock tires, which are nice heavy duty trainers but I'm being tempted by these race tires. Less rolling resistance and all that but if I'm honest with myself I'm more interested in the "bling" factor of colored tires to match my bike! Tongue out Bad idea?

2011-06-17 12:36 PM

User image

Regular
London, AR
Not sure if it is or not, but I tend to go by the rule of nothing new on race day Laughing If it were me I would have liked to get a few rides in on new tires. Clinchers or tubular?
2011-06-17 1:03 PM

Extreme Veteran

Clinchers, so nothing to hard to put on or take off.  No glue required!

2011-06-18 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3554504

User image

Regular
Davenport, Iowa
2011-06-18 4:03 PM

Extreme Veteran

1st race in the books!

Had a great time and "surprise!" I got race hardware. 2nd in my division! (Male 35-39, 1st Timers). Overall I'm fairly pleased but it also showed me I really need to work on the run!

Here's the race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=257101&posts=1&start=1

I gotta brag a little though...

Edited by wushunut 2011-06-18 4:39 PM

2011-06-19 1:01 AM
in reply to: #3553255

Veteran
Indiana
bakerswife - 2011-06-16 7:04 PM

I did my first brick yesterday - a 9 mile bike followed by a 1.4 mile run. Oh my - it's much harder to run on legs that have just gotten off a bike. But as hard as it felt while running, once I was done, I seemed OK. So I guess the idea is - don't give up. It becomes about a certain amount of mental toughness. Just keep going. I see the value though of pacing.

One thing that really helped me with the "What's wrong with my legs?!?!!???!!" coming off the bike was I just kept telling myself that the dead legs effect does go away. A little ways into the run, my legs started feeling pretty normal. Somehow the knowledge that it is temporary helped me push through it.

2011-06-19 7:42 PM
in reply to: #3556110

St. Paul

Excellent advice alath - I was really surprised that nothing really hurt after I finished the "brick" so I guess that dead leg thing really did go away!

M

2011-06-19 7:43 PM
in reply to: #3555738

St. Paul

wushunut - ROCK ! great job. You must be totally ecstatic! Congratulations on such a great showing for your very first effort.

Mary

2011-06-19 10:42 PM
in reply to: #3555738

User image

Regular
London, AR
Very nice race report Wushunut! And Gratz on your success and finish! Wow it's all very impressive to me. And hey, there is nothing wrong with bragging on yourself, you finished your first Tri!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Allison and Ryan's Beginner Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 29