BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-06-01 6:44 PM
in reply to: #3528190

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Subject: RE: BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE!
LadyNorth - 2011-06-01 7:20 PM

Mandy,

Thanks for your feedback - much appreciated.  The more I hear about this issue, the more frustrating it becomes, since it seems the solution is an individual one - but I will solve this.  I've decided not to do anything until next week since I have my 1st Olympic Sunday and I don't want to make any changes before that.

One thing I've wanted to ask you.  How the heck do you find time to train? - you work, don't you?  I'm retired and only training for a 1/2 and I feel like it's taking up all my time.  I don't know how you do it.

Denise

Ha, well, I get up at like 4:30 am and train before work.  And then as soon as I get home, I go back at it.  My weekends are basically organized around my training.  The thing is, in the summer, John is SO SO busy, so I would hardly see him anyway - so really it works out really good.   It does take up a lot of time.  I am tapering this week and find that it is kind of weird to have this extra time on my hands.  

2011-06-01 6:50 PM
in reply to: #3526906

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
stevebradley - 2011-05-31 7:49 AMTRINA -You're an Olyperson now! Congratulations!As for the dust devil.......that's one I have never experienced in xxx multisport races. I'm not sure how I would react. I generally love atmospheric confusion, but there's a time and place for everything, and I'm not sure a race fits either of those criteria!I am curious about how you handled the run, how tough it was, where the elements of "sufferfest" entered into it for you. You have no horror stories there, so that's a very good thing. And one of the horror stories might be that they ran out of fluids or something, so it's good not to see any mention of that, either. Whew!An uncle in WWII....would that be a grandfather's brother? I'm trying to do the math on tat, with my own father having done WWII, and he was born in 1914. Just curious. Anyhow, that was a fine thing for you to do on Memorial Day.
Steve -"Sufferfest 2011" - I typically suffer while running any distance over two miles, but add heat, humidity and asphalt into the equation (along with no ice or sponges or shade) and that equals Sufferfest for this gal. It was sizzling hot by the time I crossed the finish line. I was geezered on the last 200 yards by a 74 yr old man. Yes my running is painful.WWII- my husband's uncle, actually. Hubby is a bit older than me, his father was a bit older when said hubby came along, his father also youngest of ten siblings, with said uncle being the eldest. Hope that helps.Race report is up if anyone wants to see the ugly details of my Sufferfest 2011.
2011-06-01 6:55 PM
in reply to: #3435045

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
Forgot!!! Saw a guy who'd pooped his pants during the run. Couldn't believe it.It wasn't a bad poop, just a baseball sized spot on the back of his shorts, but still. EW. Dontcha call it once you've soiled yourself?
2011-06-01 7:08 PM
in reply to: #3526910

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
manfarr1974 - 2011-05-31 7:50 AM

Trina, George!!

Congrats!  Can't wait to hear all about it.  Although if I keep working my way down the forum, you might have already told the story and I haven't gotten there yet.  

Mandy

Thanks, Mandy!
2011-06-01 7:11 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
Denise - can't see your logs to give you an inspire, so I will just do it here since I won't be around until after your race: Good luck on your first Oly! You're going to have a blast!
2011-06-02 6:32 AM
in reply to: #3528242

User image

Champion

TRINA -

"Geezered". Well, if that happened to you with a 74-year old, what would it be if I did it -- "sub-geezered", "quasi-geezered", "mini-geezed"? Somehow, I don't like the sound of any of 'em! Harumph!

Thanks for the clarification about the uncle and WWII. Of course, i'm not too swift on making geneologoical connections, but I think yours is one I get.

Did you read the accounts of "Poopman" at IMFL last November? Great story, albeit gross. That's a guy with a goal, and nothing was going to get in his way. he showed more fortitude than i could've summoned, I am sure.

Hmmm. What am I forgetting here? You say you won't be around this weekend when Denise does her oly.....but I've forgotten where you are going. I initially thought Alaska, but I'm sure it's Lisa who is going there. Help!

2011-06-02 6:35 AM
in reply to: #3528211

User image

Champion

MANDY -

You, being the prototype perpetual motion machine that you are, must find tapering horrendous. I think it's time to find an outcrop above a highway and throw water balloons at cars.

2011-06-02 6:39 AM
in reply to: #3526905

User image

Champion

MANDY again -

Great comments on saddles and fitting issues. I'm sorry you've beentheredonethat.....but at least now you have something to pass on to others. Way to give one for the team!

Speaking of which....heartbreaking loss for the Bruins last night, exacerbated by the Sox losing their fourth in a row. And just as I thought they were going to close out the season something like 89-12. Bah. Well, I guess they can still, do that, but just don't have quite so much "wiggle-room"!

2011-06-02 6:50 AM
in reply to: #3525149

User image

Champion

SANDRA -

I was hoping someone would answer your request for a beginner tri book, as believe it or not I don't have a good answer for that. The ones I have myself are quite old and probably not even in print, so that's just a fuzzt area for me.

At times, though, I have mentioned to people "The Triathlete's Training Bible", but for some it is just too comprehensive. It is almost the only book you would ever need, but for many there is just too much information. I find parts of it a bit dense, in fact, in the sense of having much detail and/or high-tech specifics.

The author is Joe Friel, and I think he has a book geared moe towards beginners. I'm wondering if it has a prosaic title such as "Your First Triathlon", but I can't promise that at all. I will try to get to a bookstore soon and scout through their offerings.

Another one you might want to look at is "Essential Week-By-Week Training Guide", by Matt Fitzgerald. This has training plans for every level of triathlete at any distance, but covers nothing else -- it's just training plans, with minimal commentary (and a small section on stretching).

I like your idea of a wall for your plans! I guess that could one of the reasons for repainting your house annually!

2011-06-02 6:58 AM
in reply to: #3528597

User image

Champion

SANDRA again -

Even though you say you need focus.....somehow I don't think that's a problem for soemone who can do what you accomplished last weekend -- thesis, first tri, and I'm not sure you really even blinked. I think all that's needed is to point you in the general direction of a plan, and away you'd go!!

2011-06-02 7:28 AM
in reply to: #3526865

User image

Champion

JEFF -

One thing owed you, coming right up! (And if this wasn't what you were referring to, ask again.)

2011-06-02 7:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX

SANDRA, I had forgotten about the question about a good beginners book.  As mentioned by STEVE, Your First Triathlon by Joe Friel is a great beginner book with several easy to follow plans at the back.  Also, if you haven't read Slow Fat Triathlete by Jayne Williams (not presuming that you are either slow or fat!), it's a great inspirational book with lots of good information as well.

TRINA, yuck on the poop story! Maybe you should consider coming to Houston (Cypress) to do another oly towards the end of September? I'm with you and training in this heat and humidity which is why I'm kind of coasting now until the end of the summer and just focusing more on my swimming. For the past 3 years, I've done a sprint in June but will be out of town this year. July and August are just too darn hot around here.

STEVE, yes, 3 weeks from today ... my husband and I will be cruising the Alaska Inland Passage towards Skagway for a 9 day trip to Denali and other interior points of interest.  Will be gone almost two weeks and can't wait!  And did I mention, NONE of my children are going with us.  I don't think my husband and I have taken a real vacation (just the two of us) for 20 years.  My cousin and her husband actually planned the trip and we decided to tag along.

LISA 

2011-06-02 7:53 AM
in reply to: #3528642

User image

Champion

------------------------------------------------- RUNNING OFF THE BIKE -----------------------------------------------

I mentioned this before and maybe even posted about it toawrds the beginning of our collective existence, but in case I'm confusing groups, here it is again.

Most of us know what it feels like to finish the bike part of a race and start out on the run with legs that don't want to work. And I could probably change the "most" to "all", as I don't personally know anyone who has not felt that unsettling and discouraging sensation. So, here are a couple of quick and easy remedies to that problem, and any combination of them should make running off the bike easier and more effective.

(1) As you are in the final mile or so of the bike, try a couple of different pedalling techniques. First, pop it into big ring and one of the smaller gears, and get out of the saddle and grind for ahout ten seconds. Then sit back down and go the opposite - little ring in front, and one of the bigger cogs in back. this ewill put you into a fast spin, and let your legs work fast for about 15 seconds. Repeat those two different gearings/leg-speed combinations, and allow yourself to feel that after xx miles on the bike, your legs are doing something different - which is almost certainly closet to what they will be doing on the run.
(2) For the first minute or two or three of the run, stay well within your pervceived limits. This will mean deliberately slowing it down some, and more importantly, keeping your stride length short and compact. You can almost think "shuffle", is how low your legs will enjoy it the most. If done correctly, it will make you feel almost silly -- definitely not "running pretty". But that's the next step - after a few minutes of the low stride thing, transition to your sense of what "running pretty" might feel like. Do that for about 20-30 seconds....and then settle into what is your normal running gait. You should be ready to run natuirally at that point.

Personal notes:

For the first one, the big trick is remembering. As much as I preach this, I forget to do it about 40% of the time, I would guess. For experienced people it is not necessary for sprints, and maybe some olys, but is highly beneficial for HIM and IM. For people newer to triathlon, it is well worth doing for the first dozen or so races, regardless of distance.

Another thought about that is that you may feel that you are losing some speed on the bike, but even though that might be true, it will pat itself back as you have a better run -- both in terms of time and comfort!

About the second one, even if you feel that you are going slower than you want when you alter your stride pattern as you set out, chances are very good that you are running as fast or even faster than you think you are -- such as the boosting effects of adrenaline in your veins and people around you. It literally never ceases to amaze me that I feel I'm going at about a 5:00/km pace in a race, and then hit the first km marker at 4:27 or so. I have worked at starting conservatively....but that fast-feet running style has actually contributed to decent speed. Win-win!

Finally, as with everything else --- try this stuff first in your training! Both are very easy to expereiment with, and for the bi,me ideas you can do them anywhere at any timein a ride. Just go for a radical shift in your gearing, and allow you body to do what it needs to do in orderto work with the gearing. For triathletes, it is very useful to shift lots, as each shifting requires some change in your pedaling mechanics which will help prevent your legs from getting stagnant, doing the same thing over and over and over for xx miles -- and sledom is that "same thing" something that will set your legs up for a decent run.

Qusetions, anyone?

2011-06-02 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3528223

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine

kickitinok - 2011-06-01 7:55 PM Forgot!!! Saw a guy who'd pooped his pants during the run. Couldn't believe it.It wasn't a bad poop, just a baseball sized spot on the back of his shorts, but still. EW. Dontcha call it once you've soiled yourself?

UGHHHH SO GROSS!!

Just putting it out there.  If I poop my pants, I am calling it.  Just saying.

I saw pictures from IMAZ last year of a guy that did that (not sure how I got to the pictures?) but anyway, it was NASTY.  Like, the entire back of his legs were covered in poo.  There was a picture of him running and the faces on the people near him were priceless.  AND the kicker was he was standing around after the race talking to people!!   WHAT???

He did, however, qualify for Kona.   I just don't want it that badly.

Mandy

2011-06-02 7:58 AM
in reply to: #3528584

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine

stevebradley - 2011-06-02 7:35 AM MANDY - You, being the prototype perpetual motion machine that you are, must find tapering horrendous. I think it's time to find an outcrop above a highway and throw water balloons at cars.

Sounds like an awesome idea!!

I have been weeding the crap out of my garden.  I shouldn't have used the word crap given my last posting... But lets just say there isn't a weed in site.  

Throwing water balloons sounds way more fun.

Mandy

2011-06-02 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3528671

User image

Champion

TRINA -

Just to be a nusiance here......

While I agree with you about flat courses and going fast, per the post above those courses actually can make it difficult to run well off the bike. The reason being is that for many people they just get in one gear and stay there, and their legs never get a chance to stretch out. So while the initial feeling is good and all, it wil exact a toll when it's time to run.

In about nine days I will be doing a sprint on a course with about 1.73 feet of elevation change. Wind will probably be a factor, but if not then my approach will be to have a few small "sets" of shifting into harder gearing and getting out of the saddle for a bit. I can almost guarantee that most of the cyclists will just stay in the saddle and keep the same basic pedalling rhythm for the entire 23.8km, but that'll just make the transition to the run harder for them.

I will also "be all over my gearing", aiming for a constant cadence of 95-100, so as soon as I feel any wind at all I will do a shift and try to not miss a beat in my cadence. Nut this wil require that I alter my technique some, and each of those changes will prevent my legs from getting stagnant and "locked" into one way of moving -- which won't be what they need to run well afterwards!

Just a thought!

2011-06-02 8:13 AM
in reply to: #3528675

User image

Champion

MANDY -

IMAZ? I was sure it as IMFL. (There can't be two guys like him! ). But I too saw photos of him talking afterwards....with the same telltale sign on his legs!

te story of the guy I'm thinking of is that he did an earlier race (Wisconsin? Louisville?) and missed qualifying for Kona by about four minutes. He had not planned on doing another '10 race and figured he would wait a year, but then one of his sponosrs acquired a spot at whichever race it was, and he jumped at it. And then disaster struck....but he wanted the prize enough to do what he did, and was rewarded for his remarkable fortitude and went to Kona.

I though long and hard about that, and I agree with you --- I just wouldn't want it badly enough. It is really the acid test for how badly one would want Kona, and for all the people who train like maniacs and break down in tears when they just miss qualifying, or even have an overall bad day and missed by quite a bit, few would do what he did. Alot of us think we're tough -- but not tough like THAT!! Mercy!

2011-06-02 8:16 AM
in reply to: #3528669

User image

Champion

LISA -

Need a sherpa? I could make myself available!

Yeah, those first vacations sans kids are pretty fine, to be sure!

2011-06-02 8:19 AM
in reply to: #3526865

winnipeg, MB

and my favorite is in "The Triathlete's Guide" series published by Velo Press.

Thanks Steve, I just checked and the book is still available and not expensive at all.

Really and truly, I do all the back and forths, mostly getting stuff I've left in the car, or checking things (computer reset? brakes released? pedals angled corrrectly? tire pressure hard? gel in the running shoe? etcetcetc???).

I forgot to reset the computer, and also forgot the pump at home, but there were people helping with that. As for brakes released and pedals angled correctly... I have no idea what that is but probably has to do with the type of bike. Mine is 40 years old so probably that is not something that I should worry for now until I buy a newer bike. What I'm curious about is gel in the running show??? What gel? Why do you use it?

Wec know how fatigue feels and affects us when we are on dry land (running, cycling, hiking, roller-blading), but put as in water where breathing becomes a buig issue, and those feelings can run rampant.
Didn't think it from that point of view. It makes total sense and is good to be aware of that for the next time.

What did you wear on the bike? And feet being cold from that would have some bearing on your ability to run effectively, to be sure.

For the swim I wore a sport bra underneath my regular swimsuit. I took with me a small and a bigger towel, but did not use them. I guess in the excitement I decided that I'll dry off quickly (did not happen at 8 degrees celsius and overcast) For the bike and run, I wore the running shoes and socks, a regular cotton T-shirt and even though I brought with me the padded cycling short at the end I wore the long gym pants -2nd mistake: also cotton. And no padding of course I thought it was too cold for the biking shorts and it wouldn't make any difference wearing them on top of the swimsuit. I had no problem with that. Just the cotton never seems to dry off.

I'm thinking that the first thing to buy should be a tri short, a proper top and a long sleeve jacket!!!! Almost everyone was wearing one. It was really cold. At the end of the race I was still completely wet. For some reason I thought that with the bike and run I would dry off. Nope. Not in this case.

Probably the 26 will be warm enough to not wear a swimsuit. Otherwise, I will need to rent one. I'm still in doubt. In particular on the swim leg. I'll sit down later today and plan the training schedule for the month. This will be my first open water swim! ...scary...

One last comment, I'm a little bit in doubt about buying new clothes because I'm thinking that I'll lose weight and then I'll need to buy new ones again. But the weight loss part is not happening so far So I guess I should buy what I need instead of waiting to lose weight.

2011-06-02 8:19 AM
in reply to: #3528725

User image

Champion

MANDY -

Your weeding reminds me that I have a date (set up by Lynn) with our potato garden today. Ack. That'll first require turning over the soil AND weeding, before the first spudling finds its way into the ground. We've had them cut and curing on the counter for a couple of weeks, and most have sprouted eyes, so i guess it's time. Sigh.

2011-06-02 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3528718

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine

Steve-

OH was Mr. Poopy pants at IMFL?  I think you are right actually.  He had reddish hair.  I know this because I quit looking at the bottom half and was thinking, "WHO IS THIS GUY?"

If I miss Kona by a few seconds because I chose to not crap my pants, I am buying a ticket to HI and going to the Big Island anyway to volunteer then party it up at the race.  I am a really good spectator.  

Liked your thoughts on bike-run transition BTW.

Mandy 

2011-06-02 8:25 AM
in reply to: #3528669

winnipeg, MB
lufferly - 2011-06-02 7:52 AM

SANDRA, I had forgotten about the question about a good beginners book.  As mentioned by STEVE, Your First Triathlon by Joe Friel is a great beginner book with several easy to follow plans at the back.  Also, if you haven't read Slow Fat Triathlete by Jayne Williams

Thanks Lisa, I'll check those books too.

(not presuming that you are either slow or fat!),
which I am both !!! I'm at 187 pounds now and my goal is 160-165 by the end of the year. I think that if I follow a plan it is doable.

2011-06-02 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3528606

winnipeg, MB

stevebradley - 2011-06-02 6:58 AM SANDRA again - Even though you say you need focus.....somehow I don't think that's a problem for soemone who can do what you accomplished last weekend -- thesis, first tri, and I'm not sure you really even blinked. I think all that's needed is to point you in the general direction of a plan, and away you'd go!!

yeah, you are right. It was a terrible weekend and also my job ended on Tuesday due to lack of funding, so the last two weeks was a nightmare of proposals and reports writing... and English is not my first language, which adds stress and tons of time reviewing and editing. Even here at the forums I review the posts many time.

2011-06-02 8:31 AM
in reply to: #3526579

winnipeg, MB
LadyNorth - 2011-05-31 8:51 PM

Sandra - thanks for the link - I'm looking at a bunch of stuff on bikeforums.net - I see they have a triathlon sub-forum and several threads about saddles.

I forgot abut the triathlon subforum. At the time I was active at that forum ( 4 years ago) I wasn't thinking about triathlons at all.

2011-06-02 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3528741

User image

Champion

SANDRA -

Oops. I got carried away with my own story there!

When I say open my brakes, that is NOT something you want to do! There are little levers near both brakes, and they can open them up so the wheel can be removed, or closed down so they are mere millimters away d=from the rims so braking can happen quickly. But seeing as how I worry about my brakes rubbing against my rims and lsowing me down, I race with them open. They will still brake, but it will just take a bit longer, and so is more dangerous.

The pedal angle just refers to having my left one at the front and parallel to the ground. This is becasue I mount the bike with my cycling shoes already attached to the pedals, and I slip my feet in and tighten the strap once I get good speed going. And I want the left one front and parallel to the ground becomes that's the one I step on before swinging my right leg over.

One in every ten races (okay, maybe it's one in eight....) I forget to reset my bike computer. DOH! Actually, it shouldn't be a dealbreaker and an attitude-wrecker, as the only thing that really matters is the speed I am doing at any moment I glance down -- and thta's not affected by whether it was reset or not. But I've gotten dumbly anal about it, and if I realize running through T1 that I haven't reset it.....I will come to a dead halt, and press the reset, and wait the three of four seconds for it to go back to zeroes. And to me, those 3 or 4 seconds matter, so why in the world I do the reste then is beyond me. Double DOH!

Ah, the un-wonders of cotton! As I said, tech is best, is snugger is better still. But one of the problems with too-snug is that it can be a struglle to get it on over whatevere you were wearing on the swim, wet skin on arms and shoulders included. For that reason, I have literally never worn a top on top of my tri top, and I've taken some real risks on cold days with chilly swims. The concession I make is to have a pair of armwarmers slid down on my aero bars, one on each, and a few minutes into the ride I will wrestle them onto my arms -- once they air-dry from the swim. This works well for me, so I'm sticking with it. And the other concession I make is that on cold days with cold swims I will have my Bento Box mounted on my top frame, and in it will be a pair of very thing tech gloves - just enough to keep my fingers from going numb while riding on a cold morning. Those too, though, I don't take the time in T1 to put on.

When you say "swimsuit" in the second-to-last paragraph....do you mean "wetsuit"? I think so, given that you talk about maybe needing to rent one.

What is the distance of the swim (or, better yet, what is the name and location of the race?)? If you are nervous about an openwater swim, and if it's a pretty fair distance, then a wetsuit can help you a lot. Buoyancy effects are pretty impressive, and that just makes the swim less stressful and less fatiguing -- IF you have a good fit and IF you can adjust to those differences. A wetsuit can throw one's maechanics off some, so it would be great if you could rent it maybe even a week before the race and do a couple of practice swims first. Let me know if you're thinking about a wetsuit and I'll say a few more things about it, okay?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  

of 57