BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2012-01-20 10:12 AM
in reply to: #4001266

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Subject: RE: Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED
KeriKadi - 2012-01-20 10:11 AM

Now I have a question for the group. Has anybody done a BT training plan? I am doing the Olympic right now and am not happy at all. The second week it has me running 6.1 and swimming 1650 the first week! At this rate I will be overstrained, injured and burnt out before I get to my race.Have to say I am also not a fan of the BT coaching. I guess I didn't realize what zi was getting, or not getting. At least I only signed up for a month.

I guess the first question is how long is the plan?

Assuming the plan is 10-20 weeks, 6.1 miles for the week sounds about right (under 1 mile per day) and the swim (3x 550).

As for the plans you have to remember they are not personalized they are cookie cutter plans that are for the "average" person.  I do use them as a template and adjust alot of the workouts but overall its all about consistency in your workouts.

2012-01-20 10:48 AM
in reply to: #4001429

User image

Pro
Houston
razorxp - 2012-01-20 10:12 AM
KeriKadi - 2012-01-20 10:11 AM

Now I have a question for the group. Has anybody done a BT training plan? I am doing the Olympic right now and am not happy at all. The second week it has me running 6.1 and swimming 1650 the first week! At this rate I will be overstrained, injured and burnt out before I get to my race.Have to say I am also not a fan of the BT coaching. I guess I didn't realize what zi was getting, or not getting. At least I only signed up for a month.

I guess the first question is how long is the plan?

Assuming the plan is 10-20 weeks, 6.1 miles for the week sounds about right (under 1 mile per day) and the swim (3x 550).

As for the plans you have to remember they are not personalized they are cookie cutter plans that are for the "average" person.  I do use them as a template and adjust alot of the workouts but overall its all about consistency in your workouts.

It is a 16 week plan. That is not 6 miles for the week, that is 6 miles for ONE run. 15 miles for the week! The 1650 swim was day TWO of the plan. Again, one swim. This actually is supposed to be a custom plan, I paid for the gold membership.
2012-01-20 11:19 AM
in reply to: #3943322

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.

OMG Keri, that is truly awful. I can't even imagine the trauma. wow

I used a BT plan for my HIM last year. Honestly, I hated it. I didn't get nearly enough bike/run time in. I can't comment on the Oly plan, but I will  say that I will not be using another BT plan.

So I got my zones but I am having THE hardest time staying in my zones. For example today was meant to be 1 mile at zone 1-2 (135-145bpm) 1 mile at Z3 (145-155) but I was going at a pace that made me look like some ederly shuffle and my HR was still too high. I can keep them in the zones on the TM but outside, it seems impossible. Is this normal? I literally had to walk to  try and get my HR back in a zone. I just don't see how this could possibly help me - I don't want to walk a marathon??!!

2012-01-20 11:49 AM
in reply to: #4001601

User image

Veteran
cheekymonkeys1 - 2012-01-20 12:19 PM

OMG Keri, that is truly awful. I can't even imagine the trauma. wow

I used a BT plan for my HIM last year. Honestly, I hated it. I didn't get nearly enough bike/run time in. I can't comment on the Oly plan, but I will  say that I will not be using another BT plan.

So I got my zones but I am having THE hardest time staying in my zones. For example today was meant to be 1 mile at zone 1-2 (135-145bpm) 1 mile at Z3 (145-155) but I was going at a pace that made me look like some ederly shuffle and my HR was still too high. I can keep them in the zones on the TM but outside, it seems impossible. Is this normal? I literally had to walk to  try and get my HR back in a zone. I just don't see how this could possibly help me - I don't want to walk a marathon??!!

Stick with it.  I have done this for a long time.  My zone 1 runs (145 bpm/ 8:30/mile)  have gotten that way over time.  I used to do 9:15 per mile.  In time your speed will pick up and your HR will remain the same.  I was able to do mile repeats of 6:50ish per mile the other day because my legs were fresh from running mostlyin zone 1 the rest of the time, and letting this program work.

Good luck

2012-01-20 11:50 AM

User image

Jackson, MS

Keri--I used one of the olympic plans last year, not sure if it's the same one.  I cut down on some of the running, did all the biking, and did most of the swimming...my time showed it.

Top of age group for bike, mid for swim, bottom for the run.

First trainer ride of the season yesterday!  No idea how fast I was going. 

Scott and others--I measured my cadence to be about 75...I guess that is grossly too low?  So down shift and spin more?

2012-01-20 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Cheeky Deb - also, you don't have anything in your training logs.  It would be helpful for us to see what you are doing, what the HR's are, pacing, etc.  Doing that will help you see how this type of training is working (or not) for you as well.

2012-01-20 12:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.

Thanks SA Brian. You're right, I need to get better at logging. I'll make sure I log.

So you think it is normal to struggle to stay in your zones at first? I guess that makes me feel a bit better. I was getting anxious when I had to walk to bring my HR down.

2012-01-20 12:21 PM
in reply to: #4001730

User image

Jackson, MS
cheekymonkeys1 - 2012-01-20 12:18 PM

So you think it is normal to struggle to stay in your zones at first? I guess that makes me feel a bit better. I was getting anxious when I had to walk to bring my HR down.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I have still have cardiac drift, even on short runs. 

2012-01-20 1:39 PM
in reply to: #4001730

User image

Expert

One thing to keep in mind and I am not sure if everyone is like this but I always have a high HR the first 6-10 minutes of my run.  I will be in Z3-Z4 and feel like I am barely running then all of a sudden - BOOM - My watch is beeping telling me I am in Z1.  Can someone explain that?  Is it the HR monitor or just my body and adrenaline or something? 

Anyways my point is that I usually settle into my "correct" zone about 10 minutes into my workout.

Like Brian said just stick with it and it will start to come around and your times will decrease and speed will increase at same HR zone.

Thanks SA Brian. You're right, I need to get better at logging. I'll make sure I log.

2012-01-20 1:44 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

Keri: I assume that is an advanced plan for someone just getting ready for the season who are already at those miles.  I would look to a beginner plan and add from there if the mileage is too much. 

How far are you now at:

Swim distance and pace

Bike distance and pace/watts/mins

Run distance/pace/mins

2012-01-20 1:49 PM
in reply to: #4001925

User image

Veteran
tmoran80 - 2012-01-20 2:39 PM

One thing to keep in mind and I am not sure if everyone is like this but I always have a high HR the first 6-10 minutes of my run.  I will be in Z3-Z4 and feel like I am barely running then all of a sudden - BOOM - My watch is beeping telling me I am in Z1.  Can someone explain that?  Is it the HR monitor or just my body and adrenaline or something? 

Anyways my point is that I usually settle into my "correct" zone about 10 minutes into my workout.

Like Brian said just stick with it and it will start to come around and your times will decrease and speed will increase at same HR zone.

I think my (and I 've  heard this from others)  HR monitor reacts differently to the water that I put on it when I start than to my sweat.  During my first few minutes the monitor shows 180 bpm or so.  I usually check after 3-4 minutes.  If it is still there I walk, usually 5-10 steps, see the HR drop down to the 130/140 range, then start up again.  I am not really sure why this happens, but it is very common for me.  Then, I continue on with accurate monitoring for the rest of the run. 

2012-01-20 2:15 PM
in reply to: #4001934

User image

Pro
Houston
razorxp - 2012-01-20 1:44 PM

Keri: I assume that is an advanced plan for someone just getting ready for the season who are already at those miles.  I would look to a beginner plan and add from there if the mileage is too much. 

How far are you now at:

Swim distance and pace

Bike distance and pace/watts/mins

Run distance/pace/mins

It is not an advanced plan. I can do all of the distances. However, to me it seems silly to do more than the distances from the beginning. My first long bike was longer than the race 16 weeks before the race. This weekend my second long bike is supposed to be 28+ miles. I don't umind the bike being a bit long nut week 2 had a 2100 swim on it, that just seems extreme. Why would I want to get burned out so far in advance? My logs are up to date. My swim is around 2/100, bike around 16, slower on trainer, run around 12/mile.
2012-01-20 2:17 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team.

Just checking in - feeling a bit better I think. It may be because I forced myself out of bed this morning for a methodical 6:30 swim but it sure felt good to be doing something - trying to catch up on some posts now.

Keri - great looking family and wow what a trauma - sounds like you were living the RFP motto along time ago - way to go. I joined BT as a gold member just last week and created what will be my IM plan starting on Jan 30. I do plan on making some modifications as I work through it, with the help of this team of course. I will let you know what I think as I get a few weeks into it.

DaveL - great picture.

Coach - nice job on the swims.

Tim - 1:30 for 100y - that is awesome. I just did the quick math and that means, based on my sorry slow as$ times, you will be out of the water 40 minutes ahead of me Cry - Oh well, just leave me a note on my bike in T2 saying something like "Tim was here, see you at the finish" Smile

Scott - it is fun - I think - check back with me in June Smile

Deb - sorry can't help you with the zone stuff, I am still trying to figure this stuff out - just thankful to read Tim and Skinnyarmbrian's posts.

Is today freaky fact Friday or is that Monday? I think Monday is music, Wednesday is picture and today is weird fact Friday - so since I am a bit boring and have always been somewhat conservative I figure I will probably run out of weird facts about me very soon but here is another one for everyone - I bought a VW Golf solely for the fact that it says golf on it and I am a golfer - now I tell everyone it is because of the mileage and the diesel but it isn't. (told you I was boring)

KC 

2012-01-20 2:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Ah yes, fun fact Friday. Well aside from the fact I am rather boring and have no life lol, my fun fact is.... I met my now husband from being his email 'pen pal'. It was 6 months before we knew what each other looked like (I had a really old computer that wouldn't download photos) so we had to that via snail mail. By this stage we were already emailing 2x a day and knew something was going on, 2 years later I flew to the US to meet the man I already knew I was going to marry for the first time. Here we are 12 years later!
2012-01-20 2:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
KC - I LOVE that you have a golf because you are a golfer! Makes perfect sense to me.
2012-01-20 2:40 PM
in reply to: #4002055

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Deb - that is a great story and sounds like the farthest thing from boring to me - wow, awesome.

cheekymonkeys1 - 2012-01-20 3:31 PM Ah yes, fun fact Friday. Well aside from the fact I am rather boring and have no life lol, my fun fact is.... I met my now husband from being his email 'pen pal'. It was 6 months before we knew what each other looked like (I had a really old computer that wouldn't download photos) so we had to that via snail mail. By this stage we were already emailing 2x a day and knew something was going on, 2 years later I flew to the US to meet the man I already knew I was going to marry for the first time. Here we are 12 years later!

2012-01-20 2:44 PM

User image

Jackson, MS

Deb-- what a cool story!!!  I love it.

I'll keep my fact on that same vein.

Boring story: My husband and I met in a bar

Better story: He went because his grandmother gave him 5 bucks and told him to go hang out with his friends.  I went after watching the Notebook and asking my friend "Where is he?"  She answered, "He's out there....waiting for you...at Corner Bar.  Now get off the couch!"

And sure enough, he was!  Now we're 5 years later!

ETS: his grandmother and I also have the same name Mary.  And now we have the same last name!

Edited by Mary A 2012-01-20 2:45 PM
2012-01-20 2:51 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
Awesome Deb. my husband and I also met online before dating sites.................. Sorry my iPad returns do not show up on BT.................... My interesting Friday thing is I was on CNN a few years ago. A woman at the Houston Galleria was kicked out for breast feeding so I helped organize a nurse in and was interviewed while nursing my now 8 year old. The story and my interview made national news.
2012-01-20 4:08 PM

User image

Veteran

Weird Friday - I was in the news too - only everyone only knew me as "Juror 54"  I was sequestered in a cruddy hotel for 15 days in a high profile murder case.  During that time the jury had some fun blowing off steam after listening to the case all day.  1 grumpy old man juror told the judge on us, the media found out, and we became famous.  Not for putting away this awful man, but for alegedly drinking beer, racing in high heals, and having a hot tub party...

Now I know to take every bit that I hear on the news with a huge grain of salt, almost all of what they said we did was exagerated or fabricated for ratings, not for truth.

2012-01-20 4:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

Happy Friday everyone!

Thanks everyone for the advice on the marathon...I'm not completely sold on it, but if it is a free entry I am more inclined to give it more thought.  Then there's less pressure if I opt out.

On the HR zone question- I started training with heart zones this year, and I have been having some similar experiences.  I know it takes about 5 minutes for my heart rate to settle once I start exercising, and I actually have trouble especially on the bike getting my heart rate up.  (I'm noticing a trend here...did I mention I need to improve the most on the bike Wink)

Scott- Thanks for the advice on training.  I do have some sets similar to that in my current training, so good to hear that those should help.  I will definetely get the functional threshold test done. 

I love reading about how everyone met their husbands!  Awesome stories.  Keri- Sorry to hear about that experience, but I am glad you recovered from it!

Hmmm...interesting fact Friday...I guess I'll go with my first experience with the Racine HIM.  Two years ago was the first time Ironman took over the former Spirit of Racine HIM and trademarked it a 70.3 race.  A friend of mine works for the Racine Tourism Bureau, and was the volunteer coordinator for the event.  I signed up to volunteer to hand out Gatorade at the finish line, but my friend moved me and my friends who were also volunteering to the finish line as catchers for the pros- so we got to hold the finish line tape for Craig Alexander and the top female finisher...I attached a picture of us holding the tape for the top female finisher. 

(38413_427161706536_594111536_5059653_4431555_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
38413_427161706536_594111536_5059653_4431555_n.jpg (81KB - 4 downloads)
2012-01-20 6:01 PM

User image

Regular
Utrecht

For fact friday I'm gonna steal one of my dad. He once particpated in a tv game show. As my Uncle had connections at the show my dads team got all the answers to the questions to cheat and win. Yet my dad lost the key question anayway to the opponent losing the whole show.

Another cool thing is that a spot came free on the swim video cyclus of our club. As result I will be taped on camera every 6 weeks to see my swim technique. Tonight was the first time. Tomorrow 2 trainers will review and than realise it to me with notes.

2012-01-20 7:23 PM

User image

Regular

Hi everyone.  Popping in here tonight after being a few days behind on reading posts. 

I'm sure I'll have some HR training questions soon too because I just ordered my first HR monitor about 5 minutes ago.  Just hope it doesn't frustrate me - I'm not the most tech savvy person.

Have had a pretty decent week of workouts and feeling like I'm making progress finally - until today.  Feeling crappy AGAIN.  How the hell does a person catch 3 colds in a span of 5 weeks?????  Makes me wanna scream.  I need to feel decent to keep making progress, and it seems like one thing after another.  Guess that's just how life is, huh?

Ok, fun fact Friday.  I have gone to 12 schools.  And no, my dad wasn't military.  We just moved a lot.  Six grade schools, 1 Jr. High, 3 high schools, and 2 colleges.  I should be pretty well edumicated, but I wound up being one year short of my college degree - maybe because I had 7 different majors, LOL!

Have a great weekend!!

2012-01-21 5:48 AM
in reply to: #4002359

User image

Veteran
Jennifers - 2012-01-20 5:53 PM

Happy Friday everyone!

Thanks everyone for the advice on the marathon...I'm not completely sold on it, but if it is a free entry I am more inclined to give it more thought.  Then there's less pressure if I opt out.

On the HR zone question- I started training with heart zones this year, and I have been having some similar experiences.  I know it takes about 5 minutes for my heart rate to settle once I start exercising, and I actually have trouble especially on the bike getting my heart rate up.  (I'm noticing a trend here...did I mention I need to improve the most on the bike Wink)

You may need imprvement, but it is not only you.  There is a general guideline that your biking threshold HR will be about 10 bpm lower than your running HR.  SO, for perceived effort level of 8 out of 10, you may be at 175 for running and only 165 for bike.  If you get serious about training with HR it is reccommended that you do seperate threshold tests to figure out your zones for each discipline.  I have read about it, but could not find any articles quickly.  I will look later when have more time.

2012-01-21 5:51 AM

User image

Veteran

Sorry, my wife again.

Well, we had 3/4 inch snow/sleet/ice last night, so I willnot be running today.  Planned 20 mile run.  The ice came first - my kids had a great time sliding around on the road, but icannot run on it.  And, I decided that 160 laps of my gyms track is not going to happen.   Heading over to the pool for a speed swim, try the run tomorrow.

2012-01-21 7:54 AM
in reply to: #4002842

User image

Expert

Last winter I did 5-5-3-3 where I did 5 on the treadmill, 5 on the indoor track, 3 on treadmill and 3 on indoor track to get my long run in during storm.  It was tolerable but closer to miserable but I was able to get my run in.

Skinny Arm Brian - 2012-01-21 5:51 AM

Sorry, my wife again.

Well, we had 3/4 inch snow/sleet/ice last night, so I willnot be running today.  Planned 20 mile run.  The ice came first - my kids had a great time sliding around on the road, but icannot run on it.  And, I decided that 160 laps of my gyms track is not going to happen.   Heading over to the pool for a speed swim, try the run tomorrow.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 43