General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2012-09-20 4:27 AM
in reply to: #4419481

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group
leatherneckpa - 2012-09-19 7:21 PM
Start: 396.4
9/12/12: 341.2
9/19/12:  344.8
Total: 52.6 lbs

A slight hiccup this week on the weigh-in.  On the bright side, I know that 1 full pound of that gain was due to switching to my "winter uniform".  I was wearing sweat pants instead of my usual gym shorts.

Congrats, keep it up.

2012-09-20 5:24 AM
in reply to: #4306637

User image

Veteran
Lomma
40min dogwalk, bike to the gym, then 45 minutes high intensity weightlifting.

Got 56 training dates planned during the remainder of the year.

Here we go!

2012-09-20 6:50 AM

User image

Elite
3KM SWIM SQUAD DONE DONE!Innocent
2012-09-20 7:52 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
My tri shorts came in the mail today.  For a guy that is 6'6", 250#, I've never had a piece of clothing delivered to me in pretty much an envelope.  Totally expected a package to be waiting on the steps, not just an envelope in the mailbox.  They're tight and they're short and I can't stop having this feeling that I'll be the only one in all these crazy tight clothes come Sunday.  Yup, just had to share that.  Pretty comfy though.
2012-09-20 10:16 PM

User image

Elite

Had a feel good run today - unlike Wednesday's which was a lethargic struggle - today I did 6.32km in 45mins and that was 2:1 run walk so I'm pretty pleased.  I worked some intervals into there - just 20secs every five mins for 20mins.  Worked well.

Legs are pretty smashed!

I'm eating healthy today - I feel sluggish coz I've eaten so much carbs this week - severely bloated!  Just had a great chicken salad from the deli.  Lovely

2012-09-21 5:28 AM

Regular
New York

Great job you guys keep up the good work.

Short Tri shorts aren't they called Speedo's. jk

I'm not sure I will ever get this run thing but I walked/jogged an hour this morning for close to four miles. I can't seem to get to four miles in an hour. Meybe I need to wait until there is snow on the ground, thus cutting down on friction..  lol

Have a great Friday all.

2012-09-21 5:57 AM
in reply to: #4421524

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

UpstateNYYeti - 2012-09-21 6:28 AM     I'm not sure I will ever get this run thing but I walked/jogged an hour this morning for close to four miles. I can't seem to get to four miles in an hour. Meybe I need to wait until there is snow on the ground, thus cutting down on friction..  lol

yeti, I went to college in Oneonta.  Give it a month, you'll have snow!  LOL.  Seriously, I wouldn't sweat the 4 mph mark.  You will get there.  Heck, I only just made my first time at 2 miles this week and I've been training since June.  Of course, I haulin' 340 lbs.  I have to keep reminding myself of that when I am unhappy about only 13 mph on the bike or 3.7 mph on the walk/trot.

2012-09-21 7:00 AM

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
I love my Tri shorts now (got some from 2xu outlet store for like $20). As an added bonus it makes my um boy bits look rather more impressive than I would ever expect! one thing, maybe you guys can help me with. My "beer belly" (I don't drink but you get the picture) makes the front of them roll down when I ride, making the before mentioned belly look even bigger as it sticks out under my shirt and over the shorts! I know, I know, first world problem and all, but any ideas?
2012-09-21 7:01 AM

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
Oh and hi Jo, isn't spring grand.....
2012-09-21 7:24 AM
in reply to: #4421577

New user

hey gang, sounds like lots of people are progressing well.

Just got back from a work trip to Mexico so I haven't gotten workouts in lately... although walking all over the place at semi altitude in the Mexican heat should count for something right? (ah, they joys of being a mining analysis). I actually came back lighter than when I left which is always nice.

2012-09-21 6:13 PM
in reply to: #4421577

User image

Elite

alburyscott - 2012-09-21 10:01 PM Oh and hi Jo, isn't spring grand.....

I LOVE SPRING!!!!!

2012-09-21 6:17 PM
in reply to: #4422890

User image

Elite

2 hours on the drainer this morning 43km - very happy with that, I reckon you lose pounds on that thing!  I find the first 45mins a real drag anything after that I'm find with coz i'm in so much pain in my butt!

Going down to the beach foreshore where the LBS is holding a demo of all new Trek bikes - roadies, tri bikes and MTB's.  Just bring helmet and shoes!  Well I will take mine but I won't ride I'm too nervouse be full of very professional lycra clad people I'm sure.

My tri coach called today wants to meet tomorrow check my progress - apart from not going out on the bike I'm happy with the training hours I'm putting in.  This week I've done 7hours 45mins - still got swim squad today, 1 hour and an hour's run tomorrow.  So if my maths is right 9 hours 45 mins.  Woohoo!

2012-09-22 8:01 AM

Regular
New York

Jo I hear ya on the butt hurting.

I did 2 hours 45 minutes and went 37.25 miles. If my butt didn't hurt i could have done a heck of allot better. Need to break my butt in and the seat.

Enjoy the spring its fall here.

Super Saturday to everyone get out there and keep moving!!!

2012-09-23 8:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Bike - 7.8 miles - 34m - 13.7 mph - AHR 144 - MHR 164

Boy, looking at the calendar, September has been a rotten month for me in terms of workout!  I have to admit that my drive fell of for a little while there.  Overtraining?  Who knows.  On the plus side, I know I've been getting plenty of rest and what fitness I had developed does not appear to have diminished.

It was 45* out this morning when I put air in the tires.  ( I will be VERY lucky indeed if it is that warm the morning of the race!)  Decided to wear a fleece jacket riding.  Good call, I was NOT hot.  In fact, I have to look into gloves with fingers, long pants, and a windbreaker for fall riding (or wait until the day warms up).  But this morning I was up, out, back, and showered before Cindy woke up.  And I feel like I still have enough left in the tank to go ride Rails-to-Trails with her this afternoon.

I'm on my 3rd saddle so far.  This one is definitely harder than anything I've ridden so far, but that's just a matter of getting used to it.  Too early to tell if it has fixed the "numbing" problem down there yet.

That 164 MHR took place on the last hill climb into Nisbet.  BUT, I was spinning the pedals going up that hill instead of mashing them and grinding it out.  I was much happier with my pace climbing the hills today.  Also, this is the fastest pace I have maintained to this point.  So there is improvement to motivate me, even though it appears that I won't hit my 15 mph goal for the race.  I have two special rides planned for Tuesday and Thursday of this week.  Stay tuned.

20 days to Blueman!

2012-09-23 8:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
yeti, you are a beast!!  2h 45m!!  What kind of race are you training for?  I can HIGHLY recommend Friel's book Your First Triathlon and the training programs in it.  When I started looking at those programs I realized that I was really training too hard.  Then I got my Global Trainer and the heart rate monitor confirmed mu suspicions.  I eased up a little bit on the duration (since I don't have any way to ease up on the intensity) and started to see gains in my performance again.  He's right.  Probably the biggest mistake we newbies make is trying to go too hard, too soon, and too often.
2012-09-23 8:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
It's been approved by the "Chief Financial Officer" and plans are finalized.  I'll be taking the week after Blueman off from training and going to FL to visit my mother.  When I get back I will be getting a Silver or Gold membership and starting online coaching to help me reach my race goals for 2013.  I have tentatively planned on the Black Bear Oly for June 2nd, the HITS Hunter Mtn HIM in mid-September, and finish with a return to the Blueman sprint in mid-October.  I'll be counting on the coach to help me lay out a plan that includes periodization and R&R weeks, with peaks at just the right times.

2012-09-23 11:36 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

#1 is done.  Did my first sprint tri this morning.  It was fun, well the swim sure as hell wasn't, but the whole event was fun.  I finished somewhere around 1:30:xx, not sure of the exact time because of the wave start and I forgot to actually look at the clock as I finished.  Once I have the official results I'll load the race report.

Like I said, the swim was terrible.  I totally underestimated it and had a very tough time with it.  I had to stop twice and I even grabbed on to a lifeguards surfboard just to take a breather, which a lot of other people did too so I didn't feel TOO bad.  I ended up half free-style and half actually backstroke which for some reason I was flying.  It was the only time I passed people on the swim.  I feared the swim and it got the best of me.

Bike was pretty good I think.  Again, no official times yet but seeing as the swim felt like it took me a really long time, I know I started the run at 1:09, so working my way backwards I'm guessing it's somewhere in the 40-50 min mark, but I'm just so clueless on my swim time that I'm not sure.  Even with the MB though I was passing lots of people, and I got passed by some too, but anyone that passed me was on a tri bike or down in aero, so I figure my 6'6" sail frame upright on my MB was keeping pretty good pace by passing other people.  As a side note, I didn't see another MB out there.  Sad face.

Run was good too.  I think it was around 24 minutes, I went out at 1:09 and finished around 1:33, so that's what my math tells me.  Passed a few people on the way out, got passed by a couple on the way back, probably pretty even in terms of +/-.  Tried to finish strong but it was tough, I was definitely feeling the race by the end.

All in all, great time.  Definitely need to step up the OWS training though.  I felt like my bike suffered because of it big time.  Just need to train, train, train.  Overall I was right where I thought I'd be, so at least I didn't over or underestimate my efforts that much.

2012-09-23 3:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
jonD, congratulations!  I am so glad you enjoyed yourself, and really look forward to the race report.
2012-09-23 3:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Bike - 10 miles - 1 hour - 10 mph

I got a second ride in this afternoon.  I sort of pressured the wife into going to ride Rails-toTrails along the Pine Creek in PA.  (Rated the #1 trail in PA, and in the top 10 Rails-to-Trails nationwide from what I can read.)  Not verbally or anything, I just loaded the bikes onto the truck and told her they were ready when she was.  That was all it took.  She was the one who mentioned wanting to ride this over the weekend.  If I hadn't done this she would have stayed busy doing housework and stuff, an then I would have had to listen to her complain that she didn't get her ride in.

Cindy hit one of her big goals today, she made the ride in 1h.  She didn't know until we got back to the truck how far or how fast she had ridden.  So, while the pace wasn't all that tough for me, the additional 10 miles brought me up to 18 miles for the day.  I'll bet I could ride my 15 mph goal on this trail.

2012-09-24 12:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona

jonD - brilliant stuff on your first tri.  Aside from the swim, sounds like you had a lot of fun.  Just keep working on the swimming and OWS stuff, trust me it'll come with time and practise.  I keep telling myself that same thing with this running stuff

I too raced yesterday, and managed to finish my first Oly (1,500 m swim, 24.6 miles bike, 6.2 miles run), in a slow time of 3:30:50, thus failing in my attempt to get under 3:30 by 50 measily seconds (Doh)!  The swim was gorgeous, especially as it was already 80°F at 7 am, and the race got delayed by 25 minutes as the bike course hadn't been cleared.  I didn't want to push hard on this race, it being my first at this distance and I was unsure about pacing, so I took it easy on the swim (34 minutes), held back on the bike (1:33 at 15.9 mph), and was very slow on the run (1:15 at 12:07 minute/mile pace).

I had a couple of encounters with unofficial vehicles on the bike course: (1) an SUV that I came close to drafting (stupid idiot drove right onto the bike course, just as I came hurtling round a corner, braked hard and swerved around, as he was then being shouted at by a policeman!), and (2) a garbage truck who decided to drive right across the bike course and single lane car road, dragging 3 cones with him! 

If you've ever wondered where the physical location of Hell is, I discovered it yesterday:  On the north shore of Tempe Town Lake, Arizona, right next to the 202 freeway, a 1.5 mile section of the two loop run course.....101°F heat at 10 am, full sun, no breeze, and no shade.  The volunteers and aid stations were great though, offering tons of water, ice, water dousing services, and lots of friendly encouragement. 

Great fun, albeit a wee bit hot towards the end, but I'm very very happy overall.  Now I know I can do the distance as I wasn't entirely sure of that, and I really enjoyed it too, especially the second loops of the bike and run course!  Getting to meet and race alongside paratriathletes was an extra special bonus, as this is the first local event where they have participated.  They deservedly got the loudest cheers at every section, what an inspiration. 

And thus ends my 2012 triathlon season on a great high note!  Now to start training for some end of year OWS races, and when it finally cools down, some 10k events, plus of course think about tri's for 2013!!!!! 

2012-09-24 6:01 PM
in reply to: #4425172

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Walk - 3.7 miles - 58m 41s - 3.8 mph - AHR 131 - MHR 164

Well, I was going to start this blurb with a big, bold BREAKTHROUGH declaration.  I did the first uphill mile in a 3.9 mph pace and my race distance (with that nasty climb on Hillside Dr) in 49m flat for a pace of 3.8 mph, almost to my 4 mph goal.  Then I read wartho's lament that her run was slow at 12m miles.

Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled to hear you did so well and enjoyed your first Oly so much.  Silly me, though, I can't help but compare myself and I don't measure up.  (Have to put those thoughts aside and focus on "running my own race", not someone else's.  Easier said than done.)

Anyway, I am still quite pleased with that effort.  And here's the breakthrough part, it was my fastest time ever for this distance/route, and I did it with ONLY walking.  No trotting at all.  Because of the 18 miles (30k) of riding yesterday I left the house with every intention of taking it easy and not doing any trotting.  But that 21 yr old Marine who resides deep in my grey matter noted a sub-15 pace for most of the first mile and yelled "CHARGE".  I was almost halfway back down to the start before I realized that my GT was recording in metric for some reason instead of US.  Blew it off, switched to my mental calculator and forced myself to hold the pace.  And I have to admit, it felt great.

Edited by leatherneckpa 2012-09-24 6:02 PM

2012-09-24 6:43 PM
in reply to: #4425662

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Leather, that's awesome.  Who cares what other people are doing for times?  Set a goal for yourself and be proud when you reach it and know you tried your hardest.  I was getting kind of bummed out over my times from my race, but I know I gave it my all and realized I should be damn proud of what I did, and I am.  Good work, keep it up and get ready to conquer Blueman!
2012-09-25 4:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

I'll be darned!!  I was a Geography major in college (back in the '70's) and I never realized that NH had ocean coastline!  I still wouldn't have known except I looked up jon's race and it said it was an open ocean swim.  Now way I thought, not in NH.  But yep, there it is on the map.  It's only 18 miles long, but it's there.  (Hey!  I can already ride across one state on my bicycle!!)

So there's my one thing learned for today.

2012-09-25 4:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Guilty, lazy day.  It was raining when I got home today so I let me talk myself out of going out in it.  BAD boy!  But rest is good.  Right?  At least, I've seen more improvement since I eased up the training schedule that I was making near the end of my "go hard" phase.  And I did a PB for distance on Sunday with a PB for speed yesterday.  I think I deserve a day off.  Of course, tomorrow is Weight Watchers in the evening and I have to teach in the day so I won't get a workout in tomorrow either.
2012-09-26 8:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

WARNING - Major rant coming!

Just got back from my Weight Watchers meeting and I am NOT happy.  For some reason I am up 4 lbs this week.  I am confused.  I have been setting distance or time PB's with virtually every workout, so I know I'm working hard enough.  But I've also been taking many more "rest days".  I believe they have resulted in those increases in performance.  Are they also responsible for me going back up in weight?

I'd go back to my old 10 workouts a week program again to jump start my weight loss but I don't want to jeopardize my performance for the race, which is coming up in only 16 days.  What a dilemma!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Rss Feed  

of 45