BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2013-04-06 8:14 PM
in reply to: #4571585

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Closed
6 workouts in on my spring break vaca in Gulf Shores! I feel great about that. 3 runs and 3 bikes. Felt so good to be biking on the actual road!!

2013-04-06 8:21 PM

User image

Veteran

First Tri of the season - DONE!

So proud of DH for doing his very first - Smithfield,VA sprint.  It was nice weather, the winds were gusting up to 18 mph and mostly headwinds so that made it challenging.  I'm pretty happy with the bike, though I wish I was faster, I gave it everything I had and only more training will make me faster. The pool swim wasn't the best, I got passed twice...but I really didn't practice enough in the two weeks leading up to it. 

The run was my worst, ever, for a sprint tri.  40 min. for 5k.  I didn't feel too bad coming off the bike, not too stiff, I walked my bike in because of the mud. Transitioned well, but after I started the run, my shins felt so swollen and stiff that I walked.  I kept trying to run but couldn't go more than a few steps without pain so I switched back to walking.  Just after the one mile mark I started loosening up some and was able to run more and walk less....overall not happy with the run.

DH beat me by about 4 min. total - I beat him in the swim and I really hoped I would beat him on the bike.  He caught me on the bike but not until the dismount line, overall his time was better.  Knew he'd crush me on the run so that was no surprise, of course he is like a foot taller than me

Fun overall and felt great after actually!

Race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=483574

Hope you're all having a good weekend!

2013-04-06 9:27 PM
in reply to: #4689667

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Ybeal - 2013-04-06 8:21 PM

So proud of DH for doing his very first - Smithfield,VA sprint.  It was nice weather, the winds were gusting up to 18 mph and mostly headwinds so that made it challenging.  I'm pretty happy with the bike, though I wish I was faster, I gave it everything I had and only more training will make me faster. The pool swim wasn't the best, I got passed twice...but I really didn't practice enough in the two weeks leading up to it. 

The run was my worst, ever, for a sprint tri.  40 min. for 5k.  I didn't feel too bad coming off the bike, not too stiff, I walked my bike in because of the mud. Transitioned well, but after I started the run, my shins felt so swollen and stiff that I walked.  I kept trying to run but couldn't go more than a few steps without pain so I switched back to walking.  Just after the one mile mark I started loosening up some and was able to run more and walk less....overall not happy with the run.

DH beat me by about 4 min. total - I beat him in the swim and I really hoped I would beat him on the bike.  He caught me on the bike but not until the dismount line, overall his time was better.  Knew he'd crush me on the run so that was no surprise, of course he is like a foot taller than me

Race report:

Sounds like a great race and how awesome that you and your husband will be able to enjoy the sport together!!

Your times look really good to me!! As far as the run, sometimes it is just wise to slow down and listen to what your body is asking for instead of pushing through and having to deal with an injury for the rest of the season. Your overall time was very good!!

Congratulations!!

2013-04-06 9:50 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Ybeal - 2013-04-06 8:21 PM

Race report:

Way to go! Glad you had fun and felt great afterward. Fun stuff that makes you feel alive.
2013-04-06 9:52 PM
in reply to: #4689656

User image

Master
St. Louis
DaDooRunRun - 2013-04-06 8:14 PM

6 workouts in on my spring break vaca in Gulf Shores! I feel great about that. 3 runs and 3 bikes. Felt so good to be biking on the actual road!!

DP...

Edited by ransick 2013-04-06 9:58 PM
2013-04-06 9:57 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
DaDooRunRun - 2013-04-06 8:14 PM

Nice! Where do you stay in the Gulf? We head down that way just about every year for our beach vacation. We use to stay in Gulf Shores but moved to Navarre after the spill and my wife's friend moving there.

2013-04-07 3:38 AM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

Well, my last race of the season is done and dusted, pity it was terrible. My planning was good, my effort was good, but the outcome was not. My aim was to try and go a little harder for the whole race because I thought I could, and I felt really really confident in my plan. I had held back in my last rwo races, in the swim in particular. But this time I ended up not able to run more than 1km, feeling really sick right from the start of the run. I stopped to a walk after 1km (which for me is failure) and then couldn't run more than 300-400m in a stretch before stopping to walk again. Not sure why this happened

My swim and bike times were both the slowest of the year despite going harder in both. I just can't work out what went wrong. The only thing I can it it down to is that my regular morning nausea. It is particularly bad when I am pushing hard. But I ate breakfast two hours before the race and this should have been enough to cure it, and I had no nausea until the start of the run.

I am trying to find the positives out of the race, and to learn something from it. But I'll be honest, I am struggling. I am seriously disappointed, and given my nutrition in the days prior was the same for this race as the others I now have doubts about my preparation that weren't there yesterday. Not a great experience, and my next opportunity for a race is my Oly...! I wonder how my confidence will be for that one???

Right now I just feel like I have wasted three months of training. Yesterday I was starting to seriously consider attempting an HIM this time next year, but now my Oly in November looks further away than ever.

Anyway, when the kids go to bed tonight I will write down the things that went well and badly, and try to prepare better next time. Apart from that I guess it's just more hard work for me on the training track.

To finish on a positive note, today was my first ever ride with my tri bars. I've not even had a training ride with them yet. They felt good and I had no problem riding on the bars 90% of the time, and I felt stable on them. I also found changing gears to be no problem despite having to get off the bars to do it. Very happy with that.

Now, bring on November 4 as soon as possible....

2013-04-07 4:41 AM
in reply to: #4689821

User image

Veteran
cadnams - 2013-04-07 4:38 AMWell, my last race of the season is done and dusted, pity it was terrible. My planning was good, my effort was good, but the outcome was not. My aim was to try and go a little harder for the whole race because I thought I could, and I felt really really confident in my plan. I had held back in my last rwo races, in the swim in particular. But this time I ended up not able to run more than 1km, feeling really sick right from the start of the run. I stopped to a walk after 1km (which for me is failure) and then couldn't run more than 300-400m in a stretch before stopping to walk again. Not sure why this happenedMy swim and bike times were both the slowest of the year despite going harder in both. I just can't work out what went wrong. The only thing I can it it down to is that my regular morning nausea. It is particularly bad when I am pushing hard. But I ate breakfast two hours before the race and this should have been enough to cure it, and I had no nausea until the start of the run.I am trying to find the positives out of the race, and to learn something from it. But I'll be honest, I am struggling. I am seriously disappointed, and given my nutrition in the days prior was the same for this race as the others I now have doubts about my preparation that weren't there yesterday. Not a great experience, and my next opportunity for a race is my Oly...! I wonder how my confidence will be for that one??? Right now I just feel like I have wasted three months of training. Yesterday I was starting to seriously consider attempting an HIM this time next year, but now my Oly in November looks further away than ever.Anyway, when the kids go to bed tonight I will write down the things that went well and badly, and try to prepare better next time. Apart from that I guess it's just more hard work for me on the training track. To finish on a positive note, today was my first ever ride with my tri bars. I've not even had a training ride with them yet. They felt good and I had no problem riding on the bars 90% of the time, and I felt stable on them. I also found changing gears to be no problem despite having to get off the bars to do it. Very happy with that.Now, bring on November 4 as soon as possible....
Oh I'm sorry you had a bad race....you've trained well...sometimes a bad race is just a bad race/day. It's totally frustrating I know. I am sure you can do the oly, I'm going to try one in sept. and I'm always BOP, we can train together

Right now you're feeling down from the race not going the way you hoped, but keep on going, you've come too far now and I know you can do it!

That is awesome about the aero bars, I can't even fathom attempting that. Get back in the saddle and keep TRI-ing!

2013-04-07 4:43 AM

User image

Veteran
DaDooRunRun - 2013-04-06 9:14 PM6 workouts in on my spring break vaca in Gulf Shores! I feel great about that. 3 runs and 3 bikes. Felt so good to be biking on the actual road!!

Seriously impressive! My training always falls apart on vacation so I'm in awe, way to go!

2013-04-07 8:11 AM
in reply to: #4689733

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

ransick - 2013-04-06 9:57 PM
DaDooRunRun - 2013-04-06 8:14 PM 6 workouts in on my spring break vaca in Gulf Shores! I feel great about that. 3 runs and 3 bikes. Felt so good to be biking on the actual road!!
Nice! Where do you stay in the Gulf? We head down that way just about every year for our beach vacation. We use to stay in Gulf Shores but moved to Navarre after the spill and my wife's friend moving there.

That was great to stay with your training on vacation! Way to go!!

I'm not too far form Gulf Shores and most of our friends'beach' there but we prefer Navarre. My Husband & I both lived in Pensacola (him Pace) in the past and  husband and son(s) love to fish off the pier in Navarre. 

2013-04-07 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Great week of training for me even if I am slow as a turtle (at all three)- I am also improving in all three sports.

Interesting bike yesterday- but chased by THREE bulldogs (while the owner just stood there!!). Thank goodness I found some reserves and out road them.I found a different route home and smiled all the way there

On a sad note a member  of my youngest son's football team was killed on the way to school Thursday in a car accident. We are a small town and he goes to a very small school were everyone knows everyone pretty well. This guy was an outstanding athlete (one of those that gave 150% every time) and all around great guy. Just about to graduate. Its just been devastating  

Edited by Meljoypip 2013-04-07 8:20 AM

2013-04-07 8:45 AM
in reply to: #4689909

User image

Veteran
Meljoypip - 2013-04-07 9:19 AM

Great week of training for me even if I am slow as a turtle (at all three)- I am also improving in all three sports.

Interesting bike yesterday- but chased by THREE bulldogs (while the owner just stood there!!). Thank goodness I found some reserves and out road them.I found a different route home and smiled all the way there

On a sad note a member  of my youngest son's football team was killed on the way to school Thursday in a car accident. We are a small town and he goes to a very small school were everyone knows everyone pretty well. This guy was an outstanding athlete (one of those that gave 150% every time) and all around great guy. Just about to graduate. Its just been devastating  

So sorry to hear about the accident, that's such a tough situation for kids to deal with. Thoughts are with you and your son....
2013-04-07 9:39 AM
in reply to: #4689909

User image

Master
St. Louis
Meljoypip - 2013-04-07 8:19 AM

Wow, that is a tough loss. Sending prayers your way and his family and friends way. That sucks.
2013-04-07 9:50 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis
cadnams - 2013-04-07 3:38 AM

Well, my last race of the season is done and dusted, pity it was terrible. My planning was good, my effort was good, but the outcome was not. My aim was to try and go a little harder for the whole race because I thought I could, and I felt really really confident in my plan. I had held back in my last rwo races, in the swim in particular. But this time I ended up not able to run more than 1km, feeling really sick right from the start of the run. I stopped to a walk after 1km (which for me is failure) and then couldn't run more than 300-400m in a stretch before stopping to walk again. Not sure why this happened

My swim and bike times were both the slowest of the year despite going harder in both. I just can't work out what went wrong. The only thing I can it it down to is that my regular morning nausea. It is particularly bad when I am pushing hard. But I ate breakfast two hours before the race and this should have been enough to cure it, and I had no nausea until the start of the run.

I am trying to find the positives out of the race, and to learn something from it. But I'll be honest, I am struggling. I am seriously disappointed, and given my nutrition in the days prior was the same for this race as the others I now have doubts about my preparation that weren't there yesterday. Not a great experience, and my next opportunity for a race is my Oly...! I wonder how my confidence will be for that one???

Right now I just feel like I have wasted three months of training. Yesterday I was starting to seriously consider attempting an HIM this time next year, but now my Oly in November looks further away than ever.

Anyway, when the kids go to bed tonight I will write down the things that went well and badly, and try to prepare better next time. Apart from that I guess it's just more hard work for me on the training track.

To finish on a positive note, today was my first ever ride with my tri bars. I've not even had a training ride with them yet. They felt good and I had no problem riding on the bars 90% of the time, and I felt stable on them. I also found changing gears to be no problem despite having to get off the bars to do it. Very happy with that.

Now, bring on November 4 as soon as possible....

Sorry you had a bad race. How was the weather? Sometimes the weather can mess up race plans. How was your taper? Did you feel well rested like your body was "un-loaded" from training?

Try not to let it get you down. You still accomplished more than 99% of people out there. Might need to sign up for that one again next year to get revenge :-).
2013-04-07 10:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
DaDooRunRun - 2013-04-06 6:14 PM 6 workouts in on my spring break vaca in Gulf Shores! I feel great about that. 3 runs and 3 bikes. Felt so good to be biking on the actual road!!
I echo the comment above, my workouts always break down on vacation, so kudos to you.  That having been said, you were in Gulf Shores and didn't swim?!
2013-04-07 10:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Ybeal - 2013-04-06 6:21 PM

Race report:

Awesome race!  And quality race report.  Sorry to read your run didn't go quite as well as you wanted, but still a great race.  Your transition times are great.

2013-04-07 10:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

cadnams - 2013-04-07 1:38 AM Well, my last race of the season is done and dusted, pity it was terrible. My planning was good, my effort was good, but the outcome was not. My aim was to try and go a little harder for the whole race because I thought I could, and I felt really really confident in my plan. I had held back in my last rwo races, in the swim in particular. But this time I ended up not able to run more than 1km, feeling really sick right from the start of the run. I stopped to a walk after 1km (which for me is failure) and then couldn't run more than 300-400m in a stretch before stopping to walk again. Not sure why this happened My swim and bike times were both the slowest of the year despite going harder in both. I just can't work out what went wrong. The only thing I can it it down to is that my regular morning nausea. It is particularly bad when I am pushing hard. But I ate breakfast two hours before the race and this should have been enough to cure it, and I had no nausea until the start of the run. I am trying to find the positives out of the race, and to learn something from it. But I'll be honest, I am struggling. I am seriously disappointed, and given my nutrition in the days prior was the same for this race as the others I now have doubts about my preparation that weren't there yesterday. Not a great experience, and my next opportunity for a race is my Oly...! I wonder how my confidence will be for that one??? Right now I just feel like I have wasted three months of training. Yesterday I was starting to seriously consider attempting an HIM this time next year, but now my Oly in November looks further away than ever. Anyway, when the kids go to bed tonight I will write down the things that went well and badly, and try to prepare better next time. Apart from that I guess it's just more hard work for me on the training track. To finish on a positive note, today was my first ever ride with my tri bars. I've not even had a training ride with them yet. They felt good and I had no problem riding on the bars 90% of the time, and I felt stable on them. I also found changing gears to be no problem despite having to get off the bars to do it. Very happy with that. Now, bring on November 4 as soon as possible....
My first reaction is you should be really careful about pushing too hard on the swim.  How confident are you in your swimming?  There's a thread going somewhere around here where a guy complains that his all-out 100 swim time was actually a few seconds slower than his regular 100 swim time.  My master's coach is fond of saying "slow is fast".  My philosophy on the swim is it's a warmup for the bike and the run.  I only go hard enough that I feel good coming out and ready to bike.  The one time I did a sprint swim too hard I was woozy coming out of it and my transition time was terrible because I could barely stand up straight to get ready to go.  I'm not saying that's the culprit in your race, but I would consider that in your reflection.

Sorry to hear your race went so poorly.  Tough to end a season on that.  I'm sure you'll turn it around, plenty of time to put together a great race in November.

2013-04-07 1:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Alright, motivation to start the week off.  And for Jax and I looking forward to race weekend.  How bad do you want it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

I'm going to save that as an mp3 and listen it as I workout.  Makes me want to race!  The text of the speech is below:

There was a young man, who wanted to make a lot of money. And so, he went to this guru. He told the guru “I wanna be at the same level as you on”. And so the guru said, “If you want to be at the same level I’m on, I’ll meet you tomorrow at the beach”.
So the young man got there at 4am, he’s all ready ready to rock and roll, got on a suit (he should’ve wore shorts). The old man grabbed his hands and said “How bad do you want to be successful?”. He said “Real bad”.
The guru said “Walk on out into the water”. So he walks out into the water…(Watch This). And when he walks out into the water, it goes waist deep. And he was like “This guy’s crazy” and went “Hey, I got you to teach me how to make money, but you are teaching me how to swim. I didn’t ask to be a lifeguard. I want to make money!”
He went “Come out a little further” and the young man walked out a little further where the water is deeper. And he was like “This old man is crazy…he makin’ money but he crazy”. The old man said “Come out a little further” and he went a little further. The water was right at his mouth…
The young man went “I don’t want to proceed anymore” and the old man said “I thought you want to be successful!” And the young man said “I do!” And the old man went “Then, walk a little further”.
The young man did, the he dropped his head in the water and the old man held him down, he had him held down, just when the young man was about to pass out, he raised him up.
He said, “When you were under water what did you want to do?”
Young man said, “I wanted to breathe.”
He told the guy “When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful”.
If you ever have an asthma attack before, you’re short of breath, you’re wheezing. The only thing you are trying to do, is get some air. You don’t care about no basketball game, you don’t care what’s on the TV, you don’t care about the parties… The only thing you care about when you are trying to breathe, is to get some fresh air. That’s it. And when you get to the point when all you want to do is to be successful as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful.
Most of you said that you want to be successful, but you don’t want it bad. You just kinda want it. You don’t want it badder than you want to party. You don’t want it as much as you want to be cool. Most of you don’t want success as much as you want to sleep! Some of you loves sleep more than they love success.
And I am here to tell you today: If you are wanting to be successful, you have to be willing to give up sleep.
You gotta be willing to work on having 3 hours or 2 hours of sleep. If you really want to be successful, somedays you might even have to stay up 3 days in a row. Because if you go to sleep, you might miss the opportunity to be successful. You gotta want to be successful so bad, that you forget to eat.
That’s how bad you gotta want it.
-Eric Thomas, "Hip Hop Preacher"

ETA: I in no way advocate forgetting to eat (eating is very important when training), or not sleeping (sleeping is also very important).

Edited by jmholzman 2013-04-07 2:06 PM
2013-04-08 5:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Hey everyone!

Sorry I've meen MIA for the past week, life just got in the way. I will read through the posts today and the stats will be done on Wednesday.

Happy training!

2013-04-08 6:57 AM

User image

Veteran

(66d98f4f7ceb0628e13530df19498f7f.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
66d98f4f7ceb0628e13530df19498f7f.jpg (81KB - 11 downloads)
2013-04-08 7:58 AM
in reply to: #4690897

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Yes i agree with ^^^ "The only bad workout is the one you did not do" one of the best things about deciding to do triathlon for me is previously I had had a very hard time with consistently doing any workouts - but knowing i am committed to race I make sure to get my workout in even if I kept my 8 mo old grandson & he kept me up all night or I have a dozen other things going on-  before there was enough excuses not to work out to keep them to once or twice a week- now I just get my training in!!

And I do not reply to every post but reading about how some of you structure your runs or things like not overdoing it though the swim- I'm taking all of this in and learning!!! 

2013-04-08 4:11 PM
in reply to: #4690050

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

My first reaction is you should be really careful about pushing too hard on the swim.  How confident are you in your swimming?  There's a thread going somewhere around here where a guy complains that his all-out 100 swim time was actually a few seconds slower than his regular 100 swim time.  My master's coach is fond of saying "slow is fast".  My philosophy on the swim is it's a warmup for the bike and the run.  I only go hard enough that I feel good coming out and ready to bike.  The one time I did a sprint swim too hard I was woozy coming out of it and my transition time was terrible because I could barely stand up straight to get ready to go.  I'm not saying that's the culprit in your race, but I would consider that in your reflection.

Sorry to hear your race went so poorly.  Tough to end a season on that.  I'm sure you'll turn it around, plenty of time to put together a great race in November.

I think you're spot on Joe. I think I just have to try and conserve energy in the swim rather than trying to go too hard. This will certainly be my plan for the next few races, until I get fitter etc.

My HRM played up during the race, but I got some data from it during the run. My heart rate was virtually at my max right from the start of the run, and I was going as slow as I could. Something was going on there...

Hey, best of luck for the weekend. You've done loads of work for it so I hope you smash it, and beat your mates in the process. It's not all about winning, but it doesn't hurt...!

2013-04-08 4:19 PM
in reply to: #4689987

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

Sorry you had a bad race. How was the weather? Sometimes the weather can mess up race plans. How was your taper? Did you feel well rested like your body was "un-loaded" from training?

Try not to let it get you down. You still accomplished more than 99% of people out there. Might need to sign up for that one again next year to get revenge :-).

Hi Mike. I love you idea about seeking revenge, that's great. I that's exactly what I intend to do! St.Kilda Race 6 is going to get it from me next year!!!

I had no excuses for this one, weather, planning, my taper, etc were all good. I am putting this one down to experience, and I'll remember it nex time.

2013-04-08 4:20 PM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

Best of luck to everyone racing this weekend. Can't wait to hear te race reports...

2013-04-08 4:27 PM
in reply to: #4692041

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
cadnams - 2013-04-08 2:11 PM Hey, best of luck for the weekend. You've done loads of work for it so I hope you smash it, and beat your mates in the process. It's not all about winning, but it doesn't hurt...!
Thanks, buddy.  At this point, while I'm certainly excited about the race, I'm more excited just about the weekend in general.  Since my daughter was born three years ago my wife and I have had only two nights (a few months apart from each other) to ourselves, and since my son was born 14 months ago, no nights.  So Friday morning we're dropping off both kids with my parents in Sacramento, then we've got a hotel in San Francisco Friday night, and then a different hotel in Napa for Saturday night.   The hotel is about an hour from race site, so I'm not even going to the check-in on Saturday, I'm going to go to the one in the morning (transition spots are pre-assigned anyways) so I don't waste 3 hours on Saturday.  It's going to be a good weekend.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Closed Rss Feed  

of 30