BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2014-03-07 2:57 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Turtle Weekend
Here's to hoping that everyone has a productive and enjoyable weekend. I'll be out of town tomorrow evening so my next post might not be until Sunday evening. My plans are swim tonight, long ride tomorrow morning followed by a night away with the family, and a long run when we return on Sunday.

2014-03-07 7:52 PM

User image

New user

Winter Springs, Florida
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed
I'm back..... just had a couple of very bad weeks. Going to get my road bike checked tomorrow,needs a tuneup and get a ride in the afternoon with my mountain bike. Hope not to be out of touch again. You all have a great weekend.
2014-03-07 11:51 PM

User image

Hi Turtles

It's a beautiful sunny day today in Melbourne with a warm 27degrees and no breeze. It's also a long weekend so every body is nice and relaxed.

Pity I'm looking at all of this from my office window on the 19th floor in the CBD. I'll be here to midnight.

I did manage to get a 45 minute run in earlier today before work. Good thing about the run is that my aching legs take my mind off my aching shoulder blades from yesterday's swim.

Enjoy your weekend.

Rod
2014-03-08 4:01 AM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Hi all, I've been a bit of a lurker this week, logging and reading but not really posting. Had a rough long run on Thursday where I felt like lead, I could hardly lift my feet, so I've given myself a few days off. Hopefully I'll be recovered for tomorrow's long ride .

Tweets, nice bike! That's great to be able to carry that history on and the extra weight will be nothing next to the added joy of riding a family treasure . Pixie, I hope you're feeling better for your race and hubby's doing well, and Rach, it's good to hear you're coming back from injury as well. Cassowary and Lovey, nice work on the swimming, as Todd said, you're seeing the result of all that consistent work now. Dayra, good to see you're back too, and Rod, sounds like your weather down south is pretty similar to up here. I love this time of year.

Have a great weekend everyone! 

2014-03-08 9:27 PM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Originally posted by Taringa

Hi all, I've been a bit of a lurker this week, logging and reading but not really posting. Had a rough long run on Thursday where I felt like lead, I could hardly lift my feet, so I've given myself a few days off. Hopefully I'll be recovered for tomorrow's long ride .

Tweets, nice bike! That's great to be able to carry that history on and the extra weight will be nothing next to the added joy of riding a family treasure . Pixie, I hope you're feeling better for your race and hubby's doing well, and Rach, it's good to hear you're coming back from injury as well. Cassowary and Lovey, nice work on the swimming, as Todd said, you're seeing the result of all that consistent work now. Dayra, good to see you're back too, and Rod, sounds like your weather down south is pretty similar to up here. I love this time of year.

Have a great weekend everyone! 

Thanks Taringa! I did not get to race today. My husband needs to be cared for as he recovers from surgery. I really wanted to go but my family will always come first. Thank you to everyone that has sent me nice encouraging notes and messages. Now that my husband is out for six weeks it means I no longer have a bike or run partner. My Duathlon is next month and it is going to be tough to get all the rides and runs in before it gets here. Hope you all have a great weekend!
2014-03-09 8:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Beautiful day here FINALLY! I am going to go for a run in a bit. Hope you all have a great day!

Edited by Pixiedustlady 2014-03-09 8:58 AM

2014-03-09 9:00 AM
in reply to: dwilling

User image

Originally posted by dwilling

I'm back..... just had a couple of very bad weeks. Going to get my road bike checked tomorrow,needs a tuneup and get a ride in the afternoon with my mountain bike. Hope not to be out of touch again. You all have a great weekend.

Good to have you back! Have fun on your mountain bike!,
2014-03-09 9:09 AM

User image

Originally posted by AussieTurtle

Hi Turtles

It's a beautiful sunny day today in Melbourne with a warm 27degrees and no breeze. It's also a long weekend so every body is nice and relaxed.

Pity I'm looking at all of this from my office window on the 19th floor in the CBD. I'll be here to midnight.

I did manage to get a 45 minute run in earlier today before work. Good thing about the run is that my aching legs take my mind off my aching shoulder blades from yesterday's swim.

Enjoy your weekend.

Rod

Rod,
Loved your last part about aching legs to distract you from your aching shoulders lolol I hear ya!! Melbourne is so beautiful! We went to a park there and it was my first time seeing fruit bats! OMG their were hundreds of them! Do you ever get to Phillip Island? We did a day trip there and saw the penguin parade! I wanted to take them home with me lol. Beautiful country you and Taringa have! Good job on the workouts!
2014-03-09 5:26 PM

User image

New user

Winter Springs, Florida
Bike in the shop. 4 miles walk/run and played baseball with my son. Nice day here in Florida.
2014-03-09 10:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by dwilling

Great to have you back. Everyone falls, but you can tell alot about a person that gets back up and goes at it again.
2014-03-09 10:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great weekend.

Swam 2250 Friday evening Non-Stop. Saturday I rode 36 miles prior to use leaving for the night. Today, I ran 8 mile after we got home and a short nap. I have just three more full weeks before my Half. April 6th will be here in no time.

2014-03-10 8:20 AM
in reply to: Pixiedustlady

User image

Hi Darcie

We don't often get fruit bats but when we do we get them in plague proportions. They make a real mess.

I know every inch of Phillip Island. My family had a block of land there and we camped there every summer holiday. I used to surf so I'd go there all year round. We would often surf at Summerlands beach where the Penguin Parade is. A couple of times a penguin brushed against my leg and frightened the daylights out of me as my first reaction was that it was a shark about to take a nibble.

Rod
2014-03-10 9:16 AM

User image

Hi Turtles,

I’ve had a great training week on my new plan. Well & truly covered the 10% challenge and I’m starting to see some marked improvement in endurance and results. I’m really impressed with the numbers some of you achieve and can’t wait until I build up to that level.

Highlight of my training week was a bike ride along one of our local bike paths. I set out at dusk on a warm night without any wind. It’s a dead flat bitumen path and there was hardly anyone else around. I made it half way at a good pace and decided to go flat out on the way home. It was dark on the way back so I wasn’t able to read my bike computer while riding to check my speed. I knew I was going fast when I nearly missed a bend. When I got home I’d done 17km with an average speed on 30kmh. This is my target speed and will make me competitive in my age group. I’m pretty happy about that.

As usual the Turtles keep me motivated as I read about the ups and downs of beginner triathletes.

I’m back on night shift this week so it’s going to be a challenge to get the hours in. I don’t want to lose any momentum so I’ll have to get creative in ways to find the time.

A few callouts:

Todd: Impressive numbers on this weekend’s training,
Dayra: Good to see you back on the bike and a Baseball player as well. Are you a Marlin’s or Ray’s fan?
Darcie: Sorry you missed your race but family has to be a higher priority. Hope that hubby recovers swiftly and that you can focus and prepare for your race.
Taringa: I think you’ve earned a rest after your race at Bribie and all the lead up training for that race.
All the other Turtles: Looking forward to reading your next posts.

Rod
2014-03-10 12:58 PM
in reply to: #4915342

User image

I did not make the 10% volume increase that I'd intended. However, I did swim 400 straight where previously 300 was my longest. I ran over 10% more than the previous week and I did at least 2 workouts in each sport as well as strength training. By Friday, I hit a huge fatigue wall while at work and had a slight fever. I napped through lunch and a few other times(whoopsie) but my team was understanding and I wasn't needed too much. I took it easy over the weekend and didn't push to hard plus I went bouldering with some friends which it turns out I enjoy immensely. To sum up, I didn't make the challenge in the way I wanted but I'm proud of what I did accomplish. Thanks for the challenge!
2014-03-10 1:21 PM
in reply to: 2gs

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Originally posted by 2gs

I did not make the 10% volume increase that I'd intended. However, I did swim 400 straight where previously 300 was my longest. I ran over 10% more than the previous week and I did at least 2 workouts in each sport as well as strength training. By Friday, I hit a huge fatigue wall while at work and had a slight fever. I napped through lunch and a few other times(whoopsie) but my team was understanding and I wasn't needed too much. I took it easy over the weekend and didn't push to hard plus I went bouldering with some friends which it turns out I enjoy immensely. To sum up, I didn't make the challenge in the way I wanted but I'm proud of what I did accomplish. Thanks for the challenge!

You still challenged yourself to improve if not in volume then in the number of workouts. That's what matters.
Great job!

BTW, what is "bouldering"?
2014-03-10 1:29 PM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
The challenge was 10% increase.

I wanted to do the 10% in all 4 disciplines, swim, bike, run and strength.

Strength - not only did I not increase, I did no ST all week. 2 snow days through my schedule off. I will aim to get that back this week.
Run - I was about half a mile short so I only got 4% increase over last week. I want to say I am bummed but I am not really.
Bike- 15% increase over last week.
Swim- this is where I was focused. I doubled what I did last week. It wasn't planned but once I got swimming, I kept going. Last week I did 4750 yards, only 100 yards less than what I did the ENTIRE month of February. Even my coach gave me kudos.

I am going to continue following my program focusing on my weakest are: swimming then biking.

2014-03-10 1:30 PM
in reply to: #4962805

User image

Thanks! Bouldering is rock climbing without ropes. I went to an indoor facility with pads on the floor and the walls were approximately 10-14 feet high
2014-03-10 2:56 PM

User image

Bouldering is a great workout too!

I made the 10% increase in terms of time. It was a well needed push to step up my program - thanks for the challenge.

Today I got a short run in. I was definitely tempted to skip running for a cup of coffee and more food, because I was dragging this morning, but now I feel great after my run and not hungry at all. How does that work?
2014-03-10 4:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I have put my bike on my trainer and will have to ride inside the house in preparation for my big race coming up. My hubby will need me here for the next 30 days so this is what I have to work with and it will have to do! I did *Sufferfest* today. I have 12 of the workouts and they are fantastic fun! Really gets you to press on the pedals! I did *Fight Club* which is one of my favorites. April 12th will be here before I know it and I really have ramped up my schedule that involves more running and less swimming since the next race is a half Iron distance Duathlon.

Todd~ You are really cranking along! Way to go on your long swim/bike/run! You are turning in some fantastic numbers and no doubt you will do fantastic on April 6th for your half! Way to work it!

Rod~ Thanks for the awesome Phillip Island story! I am super envious! Way to go on that super hero effort of a bike ride down that dark path! I bet it was fun and obviously you had awesome speed! Way to go on your overall effort and balancing crazy work schedules!

Dayra~ You sound like you had a beautiful weekend in sunny Florida! Love me some baseball action! Glad your back.

Graham~ I feel your pain with the work schedule....I dont want to go back to it yet...uggghh! Way to go on the amazing swim and it sounds like your bouldering was super fun! Hang in there you are doing great!

Cassowary~ Laughing again at your skipping the run for coffee and food only to turn it around and do the opposite! .yep running makes me not hungry as well...but swimming or biking I can eat a Brontosauraus burger and then some! LOL good job on the run!!

Edited by Pixiedustlady 2014-03-10 4:35 PM
2014-03-11 5:54 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Great to see everyone powering along with the workouts! I made the 10% increase, plus a little bit more, so I'm happy with that.Feeling a bit flat and have a scheduled easy week so I'm going to pull back a bit, try and get some good sleep in instead .

2014-03-11 9:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by AussieTurtle

Hi Turtles,

I’ve had a great training week on my new plan. Well & truly covered the 10% challenge and I’m starting to see some marked improvement in endurance and results. I’m really impressed with the numbers some of you achieve and can’t wait until I build up to that level.

Highlight of my training week was a bike ride along one of our local bike paths. I set out at dusk on a warm night without any wind. It’s a dead flat bitumen path and there was hardly anyone else around. I made it half way at a good pace and decided to go flat out on the way home. It was dark on the way back so I wasn’t able to read my bike computer while riding to check my speed. I knew I was going fast when I nearly missed a bend. When I got home I’d done 17km with an average speed on 30kmh. This is my target speed and will make me competitive in my age group. I’m pretty happy about that.

As usual the Turtles keep me motivated as I read about the ups and downs of beginner triathletes.

I’m back on night shift this week so it’s going to be a challenge to get the hours in. I don’t want to lose any momentum so I’ll have to get creative in ways to find the time.

Congrats on the strong ride and intermidate goal you hit for average speed. I'm sure you will be able to figure something out while on the night shift to keep your improvements coming along.

2014-03-11 9:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by 2gs

Sounds to me like you met the challenge just in a different way then you had planned. Congrats on the increased swim distance and the full body workout I'm sure you got while Bouldering.
2014-03-11 9:28 AM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Lovey

The challenge was 10% increase.

I wanted to do the 10% in all 4 disciplines, swim, bike, run and strength.

Strength - not only did I not increase, I did no ST all week. 2 snow days through my schedule off. I will aim to get that back this week.
Run - I was about half a mile short so I only got 4% increase over last week. I want to say I am bummed but I am not really.
Bike- 15% increase over last week.
Swim- this is where I was focused. I doubled what I did last week. It wasn't planned but once I got swimming, I kept going. Last week I did 4750 yards, only 100 yards less than what I did the ENTIRE month of February. Even my coach gave me kudos.

I am going to continue following my program focusing on my weakest are: swimming then biking.

Really enjoyed seeing the bike increase. Are you regaining your coinfidence?
2014-03-11 9:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Pixiedustlady

I have put my bike on my trainer and will have to ride inside the house in preparation for my big race coming up. My hubby will need me here for the next 30 days so this is what I have to work with and it will have to do! I did *Sufferfest* today. I have 12 of the workouts and they are fantastic fun! Really gets you to press on the pedals! I did *Fight Club* which is one of my favorites. April 12th will be here before I know it and I really have ramped up my schedule that involves more running and less swimming since the next race is a half Iron distance Duathlon.

Great job of making the best out of your current situation. The great thing about a trainer inside is that it is available whenever you want it.
2014-03-11 9:32 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Taringa

Great to see everyone powering along with the workouts! I made the 10% increase, plus a little bit more, so I'm happy with that.Feeling a bit flat and have a scheduled easy week so I'm going to pull back a bit, try and get some good sleep in instead .

Great job. Have you come to a decision yet about whether or not to do a half?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 33

RELATED POSTS

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24945 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 19204 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.
date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.