Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2007-08-14 8:38 PM
in reply to: #629883

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Subject: RE: MarkQuiet's group - FULL

Welcome back Tony!  Wow - it's blazing hot everywhere....whew! 

Hey, speaking of diets, I have a crazy question.  For the past several weeks I've been experiencing lots of GI distress - okay, point blank - gas and "frequency."  It seems nothing stays in my system too long before I'm going again.  I have been eating "no-fat" ice cream and "no-fat" yogurt and skim milk and everything "no-fat" in an attempt to lose weight.  I wonder if the fake fat stuff is causing this problem.  Oh gosh, I hate to be so stinkin' personal, but normally I'm the type that has to take extra fiber.  Lately I've cut out all my supplemental fiber and I'm still going, a lot.  I know that doing core workouts and just being more active than normal make things more motile but this is rediculous.  I've been exercising since the beginning of the year so it seems weird that all this is happening now.  If you dare share, have any of you experienced anything like this???

2007-08-15 1:25 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Sounds like you may have diagnosed it - radical dietary change.  I'm no doctor and I certainly don't play one on TV, but it seems that the weight loss could be acheived by other means and that you may be depriving yourself of things it needs, particularly since you're now so active.  My strategy has been to reduce portion size, but still generally eat the things I want.  I now choose more lean chicken over burgers, etc., and have generally cut out fries, though.  I also eat more frequently (I'm seemingly always hungry), but I generally choose good things like energy bars, apples or bananas instead of cookies or other perceived "junk".
2007-08-15 1:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

Thanks Doug!  That's almost exactly what my pea brain came up with as a cure.  I tried a smaller lunch today minus the "fat free" stuff and I also held off on drinking so much water with my meal and so far, so good.  I too graze almost all day - I love it!

Okay, here's another question - I deleted my dog's picture from my Avatar and was trying to pick a picture of my triathlon but I can't figure out how to get it into the website.  I'm sure its a silly operator error.  Any "simple" directions?  If not, I'll ask our IT guy when he stops by the office.

See ya'll!

Tara

2007-08-21 8:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
Hey guys, sorry I've fallen off, but with work travel, getting ready at the office to go on vacation, and that bug that stayed with me (I'm still >expletive< coughing!!!), posting to the forum has really fallen off. I'm set for my next tri at the end of September, which I'm excited for, but I'm really concerned that I'm not going to be ready from a training perspective. I'm planning on running a few times while on vacation, and then going for broke for two and a half weeks before tapering for a few days. I'm hoping to get in 3 - 4 bricks during that time, which may be pushing it, but that's the goal.

Keep cool in the heat, and stay safe.
2007-08-27 12:43 PM

User image

Hey everyone! I FINISHED the CHICAGO TRI!!!! It was a little rough, especially the swim. The water was so cold that I start to hyperventilate and almost didn't make it. My suit felt like it was crushing my lungs. Then I started having an anxiety attack thinking about quitting and letting my whole family down (since they came all the way there and made shirts, even one for the dog) and frustrated about all the swim training I had done that wasn't seeming to help at that point. Luckily, Tim (my boyfriend and training partner) was in the heat behind me and I found him about a quarter mile in and he stayed with me and coached me through. I felt pretty crappy about messing up his swim time, but I ended up finding him again on the run since he got a really bad cramp and was walking. Then I coached him through the run. I guess we make a good team. But my bike was awesome! I averaged 19mph. The most difficult part was dodging all the potholes on Lake Shore Drive. But the ride itself was amazing and really fun. My goal was to finish in under 3:30 and I finished at 3:11:57. I think if I could have swam without freaking out and not stopped with Tim for a little bit, I might have made sub 3 hours or would have been close. But my time is not bad at all given all the hang ups and I definitely have room for improvement for next year! Yes, I will be back. I have no choice now but to conquer that swim.
I'm a triathlete! Woohoo!

Thanks to everyone for the support since January. I wasn't the most active on the message boards, but I often read everyone's posts and it was comforting to know others were experiencing similar trials and tribulations. Hope everyone is still enjoying their trianing and looking forward to upcoming races. Best of luck!!

(PS. I just found out about the Disney Triathlon in Sept. and contemplating signing up, either as a last minute race this season or maybe for next season. Has anyone done it?)

2007-08-27 2:36 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Congrats!  You are a triathlete - and you've caught the bug.  Already looking to another one next month.  That's the spirit!

2007-08-27 3:29 PM
in reply to: #926116

User image

Hey Tara,
I just read your post. It sounds like you might be on to something about the fat free foods. I was a counselor at a weight loss camp last summer and had to radically change my diet to incorporate all fat free products and I had similar GI problems for a while afterwards. Lately, I've been eating more low fat, rather than fat free or just limiting the really fatty things and eating more fiber, fruits, and veggies, and lean meat since then and it seems to have helped alot. Plus, you never really know what's in that "fat free" stuff anyway. Hope you are feeling better and good luck on the upcoming races.
2007-08-27 8:40 PM
in reply to: #942547

Regular
Great to hear you succeeded and are a bonafide triathlete! Keep it up. I did two tri's early summer and have been taking some time off to get my family moved from Texas to Missouri. I'm starting to look for Fall triathlons in the Missouri/Arkansas areas. It's time to set goals again and get on track.
Again, congratulations!!
Tony
2007-08-28 7:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

Megan!  Way to hang in there and overcome your fear.  I've gotta say I'm totally impressed that your first ever race was an Oly - Oh man.  What kind of bike do you ride?  Do you have aero bars or any "go fast" stuff on it?

I confess, I've been a slug lately and I'm fed up with it.  I'm setting my next goal for the Great American Cooter Fest Triathlon for 10/28/07.  If anyone wants to come and do a "group" OWS in Lake Henderson I'd love to have company.  I lived on the lake for 2 years and its full of gators.  I don't mind the thought of swimming in a large group in the race but I'm not too sure about practice swims with less than say a dozen people or so.  Am I a chicken or what???

Hope everyone's having a good summer so far...

2007-08-28 8:37 PM
in reply to: #944978

User image

Thanks! It was rough, but now I know what to expect for next year. I actually had one other tri in July that was a sprint, but nothing could have prepared me for Chicago. It was crazy how many people there were. It made the Guinness Book for worlds largest tri.
I don't have any "fast stuff" on my bike, but I'm planning to upgrade my equipment for next season. I have an entry level road bike, Trek 1000 women's specific design with pedal straps. But that's it. My next purchase will probably be bike shoes and new pedals. If anyone has suggestions on what brand to look at, I'd appreciate the advice. I'm clueless about that stuff.

You swim in a lake with gators!?!? Wow, that would make me swim faster to get the heck out of there!
2007-08-29 9:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
I have a Trek WSD also and love it.  I got the "Speedplay" pedals and wear Nike shoes.  I love the Speedplays because your foot can swivel on the pedal and it gives your knees some room so they're not locked into a fixed position.  Of course I have nothing else to compare them too either.  I like my shoes but they have 3 straps on them and I'm thinking that down the road I'd like to try regular "Tri" shoes.  They look like they only have one strap and some how you can get in and out of them while riding your bike and you just leave them clipped in.  Folks who do this seem to have faster transition times.  Anybody have suggestions on shoes???

2007-09-02 11:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
Hey all -

Glad to be back after vacation. Definitely feel recharged for some serious training before the next tri on 9/23.

T - Jay has some tri shoes that, I have to admit, are pretty boss. I have shimano 3-straps and shimano pedals. I'm not sure what Jay's shoes are, but they're one strap that opens from the inside rather than outside, and he's to the point where he leaves them on the bike and slips into them while pedaling. He says it's easy, but considering that I have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time, I don't buy it.

Hope everyone is staying safe and cool.
2007-09-02 9:50 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Hey all - I jumped right from vacation and multiple OWSs to school starting and a trial.  Needless to say, my training plummeted last week.

I'm in love with my aero bars.  Get some.  Mine are Profile T2+ (based on the BT write up), but you might look around for other models.  They should be a strong 2d right behind good shoes/cleats.  I still am riding with shoes my old girlfriend got me back in Boulder 15 years ago, so I'm still putting them on the old fashioned way.  btw - I married her.

2007-09-05 8:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

I'm trying a pair of Ironman aero bars that some one loaned me.  I didn't realize how involved it is to put them on.  I think I'm supposed to unwrap the stuff on my handlebars and maybe move my 2 computers (I have one regular one and one for my trainer).  I just screwed the aero bars over the tape and cables and they're wobbly which isn't good cuz it really feels unstable.  I hate to unwrap my handlebars until I'm sure where I want to place the aero bars.  Do most of you put the aeros on the inner most post (by the stem), inside where your computers are located or do you you put them on the outside of your computers?  Also, I assume that you have to unwrap the handlebars and move all the cables around to get them to clamp down nice and tight on the handlebars (I don't have carbon fiber handlebars so I can clamp them on nice and tight).

Doug-you mentioned that your hydration is better since getting the aero bars.  Did you get a bottle holder or something on yours?

2007-09-06 11:01 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Some jobs are just better left to the guys in the bike shop.  Have them mount the bars for you.  Yes, I got an accompanying hydration bottle set-up for my b-day, too.  I drink so much more as it's so convenient to just hit the straw in front of you instead of reaching for a bottle.  I use the bottles to refill the hydrator.

Another tough week of work, school and now kids and my soccer.  I'm now essentially packing all my training into the weekend.

Just signed up for an Oly in 10 days as a tune-up for the HIM.  It's at the same place as the ill fated tri du in JUly.

2007-09-15 12:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
Hey gang:

Do any of the vets here have any suggestions as to how to recharge the mental batteries? I have reached the conclusion that, after training since February, I am mentally drained and, well, sick of training. I'm not going to stop doing tris, but I desperately need to find a way to fill up the mental tanks. Any suggestions?

2007-09-16 10:08 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Yep.  Get out there and do a tri.  Training can be a grind and unless you have an event in mind, it's more or less just working out.  I did an Oly today (see race log) as a tuneup for a HIM in 3 weeks.  I'm feeling energized and ready to tackle a few more long runs/rides in preparation.  Without today's tri, I probably would be "tapering" (slacking) already.
2007-09-24 8:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
Hey gang -

Hope everyone's doing well. Just did my second tri yesterday - while I was really discouraged when I came over the finish line, the more I reflect on it, the happier I am with the results - not necessarily the time, but the determination.

I know that this may have been gone over before, but can someone tell me how to do the different font functions (i.e., crossouts, larger/smaller font, et cetera)?

Thanks. Stay healthy out there.
2007-09-24 11:10 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Under control panel, say "yes" to the "use rich edit box when composing...."

Congrats on your tri.  Sometimes it's just getting through the low spot during a race that gives you motivation to come back. 

I had my longest brick ever yesterday - a 50/10 in preparation for my HIM in 2 weeks.  About 3/5 into the run, I nearly quit on it.  I was having "issues" and felt I couldn't go on w/o a serious potty break.  Alas, no where to go.  I willed myself home in time, but that, coupled with the heat made it pretty miserable.  Now, though, I've learned yet another small lesson and will be better prepared for my event.

Glad to know a few of us are still using this thread.  I was wondering if it had finally died.

2007-09-24 4:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
Believe me, I'll keep using it. Can we get a head count of people who will keep using it? All those still in favor?
2007-09-24 9:57 PM

Regular
I'm in! I've taken the summer off and am finally settling in to our new home in Rolla, MO. We love it. Work its hectic right now, but I've promised my wife that after Oct. 5th I am back in full swing for Triathlon training (and I think she will join me for a spring tri!)
Thanks Y'all for hangin' in!!
Tony

2007-09-25 10:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

Hi All,

I know I've been rather quiet lately but it has been one crisis after another.  Just a for instance, tonight my husband I are having a "family council" meeting with my step son who has come to visit with his wife and baby for the past week.  He is an ex-pharmacist turned heroin addict who thinks he is in recovery because his wife got pregnant after she got out of the hospital from having open-heart surgery because he shot her up with bad heroin and it caused a staff infection in her heart.  Now that he has a baby he thinks life is going to be good.  Unfortunately he can't find a good job.  While he has been visiting, he found a job here in Florida and thinks he is going to move in with us while he "gets his feet under him" and the wife and baby can move down later.  Through some blood, sweat and tears, my husband and I have come to the conclusion that he will not be moving in with us.  We're giving him the bad news tonight before they fly back to Ohio tomorrow.  I am learning to set limits and say "no."  The good thing is, the result of taking a respite from training is that I've realized how vital it is to my mental health.  I know there is a balance between over and under-doing it but cutting down as far as I did was not good for me.  I NEED to have a goal of a race, like Doug said to keep me fired up.  The bottom line is, its not about the race (that's just a fitness "tool".  The real goal is being fit and able to live life to its fullest.

Anyway, all that to say, "I'm in!"  I enjoy reading your blogs and struggling through all this crazy stuff with you guys.  Maybe a few more will join us...?  I plan to get back to a training plan as soon as the immediate crisis is over and my step-son is out of the house (I haven't been willing to leave them alone in the house because I don't trust them.)  Ugh!

Be glad to see who all wants to continue on...

2007-09-26 9:35 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Umm, life has a way of smackin' you upside the head now and then, doesn't it.  Good luck.

Getting out for a run or ride probably helps clear your head, even if you're not actively "training".

As long as there are some of us blogging here from time to time, I'll keep checking and posting.

As for me, HIM is 10 days away.  Am I ready? I'd better be.

2007-09-26 2:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
Doug, I'm very excited to read your HIM race report, as I'm tentatively planning to do one in either 2009 or 2010. Bold plans for someone in their first season, I know, especially considering my lollygagging times - but you only live once.

Good luck, we're all pulling for you.
2007-09-26 11:03 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Well, I can't wait to write it.  It'll be a couple days later, though, as we're spending Sunday night in Austin as a recovery/bonus.

I'll be carrying y'all's support with me, particularly as I grind through those middle miles on the run.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MarkQuiet's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 26