BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-09-12 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3093346

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!

ANNE -

After getting a new pair of goggles stepped on or wheeled over (thus cracking the lens/gasket seal) at Musselman, i spent a couple of races tidying my transition area after the swim......but then stopped bothering. I do try to toss the goggles in my bag to get them out of harm's way, but beyond that I've reverted to run-of-the-mill rack-space messiness!

Do you have bar-end shifters, or aerobars that are two separate ulits, as opposed to one loopish thing? If so, a good way to deal with arm warmers is to have them drapd down along the aerobars when you get on the bike, and as you move and your arm get dry, you can slip 'em on. That also requires decent bike handling skills and a bit of fussing, but overall it is not as frustrating as trying to wrestle them up wet arms. That's what I will be doing this coming weekend at Lake George, where the forecast is for cold, just like last year. I wore the arm warmers from about miles 2-18, and maybe I could've done okay without them altogether.

I did some odd things there last year. One was to stay wet and uncovered on the bike (except for the arm warmer add-on), whereas most people took time to bundle up in T1. the other odd thing I did (which is an original brainstorm, or at least not learned elsewhere previously), was to get a set of those book/glove heating things that get activated when exposed to the air. So just before the swim I put one in each of my cleats, and by the time I got on the bike my shoes were nicely warm. That, and having toe covers on them, meant I was okay on the bike even going sockless. I thought that was a brilliant piece of innovative thinking on my part, and I'm not generally very innovative about this stuff at all. Those heater thingies are very inexpensive, something like $5.00 for a pair of feet ones and less for hand ones, which would work just fine themselves in bike shoes.

Isn't that annoying when there is a raft of swim caps ahead of you that's the same color as the buoys? There oughta be a law!

And getting back to Lake George, I just got a nifty email from them about taking care not to transport invasive species on one's wetsuit. Their concern is transporting them TO L.G., which apparently is a very clean lake. The attachment mentions four species, and also offers three techniques for cleaning a wetsuit with an eye to killing anything that might be clinging on it. If you go to www.lakegeorgetri.com, and then to race info, and scroll down to a wetsuit discussion, there is a link there to get you to a brochure about this. (If you are even interested!)

You didn't mention Muskoka for next June, but that might be a good bridge between earlier stuff and whichever July HIM you are contemplating. I'm assuming that Muskoka will return to a mid-June date, so running the ten miles there would set you up nicely for the 13.1 to - hopefully!!!! - follow a fee weeks later. Just a thought!

Carry on!

2010-09-12 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3093387

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-09-12 8:56 AM ANNE - After getting a new pair of goggles stepped on or wheeled over (thus cracking the lens/gasket seal) at Musselman, i spent a couple of races tidying my transition area after the swim......but then stopped bothering. I do try to toss the goggles in my bag to get them out of harm's way, but beyond that I've reverted to run-of-the-mill rack-space messiness! Do you have bar-end shifters, or aerobars that are two separate ulits, as opposed to one loopish thing? If so, a good way to deal with arm warmers is to have them drapd down along the aerobars when you get on the bike, and as you move and your arm get dry, you can slip 'em on. That also requires decent bike handling skills and a bit of fussing, but overall it is not as frustrating as trying to wrestle them up wet arms. That's what I will be doing this coming weekend at Lake George, where the forecast is for cold, just like last year. I wore the arm warmers from about miles 2-18, and maybe I could've done okay without them altogether. I did some odd things there last year. One was to stay wet and uncovered on the bike (except for the arm warmer add-on), whereas most people took time to bundle up in T1. the other odd thing I did (which is an original brainstorm, or at least not learned elsewhere previously), was to get a set of those book/glove heating things that get activated when exposed to the air. So just before the swim I put one in each of my cleats, and by the time I got on the bike my shoes were nicely warm. That, and having toe covers on them, meant I was okay on the bike even going sockless. I thought that was a brilliant piece of innovative thinking on my part, and I'm not generally very innovative about this stuff at all. Those heater thingies are very inexpensive, something like $5.00 for a pair of feet ones and less for hand ones, which would work just fine themselves in bike shoes. Isn't that annoying when there is a raft of swim caps ahead of you that's the same color as the buoys? There oughta be a law! And getting back to Lake George, I just got a nifty email from them about taking care not to transport invasive species on one's wetsuit. Their concern is transporting them TO L.G., which apparently is a very clean lake. The attachment mentions four species, and also offers three techniques for cleaning a wetsuit with an eye to killing anything that might be clinging on it. If you go to www.lakegeorgetri.com, and then to race info, and scroll down to a wetsuit discussion, there is a link there to get you to a brochure about this. (If you are even interested!) You didn't mention Muskoka for next June, but that might be a good bridge between earlier stuff and whichever July HIM you are contemplating. I'm assuming that Muskoka will return to a mid-June date, so running the ten miles there would set you up nicely for the 13.1 to - hopefully!!!! - follow a fee weeks later. Just a thought! Carry on!

That is a really great idea about the arm warmers.   I have 2 separate units which should work well.   Not sure though, now about next year because I read something about these type of bars now being illegal and we will have to buy a piece to put on the end and join them? so I won't get speared to death in an accident?    I like the heater idea for the shoes as well.   I did have my toe warmers on the shoes and went sockless.   My feet were pretty toasty and really probably didn't need the arm warmers but went that way anyway.  ALSO interesting about transporting stuff on wetsuit.   Will have to check that out re cleaning.   You are a wealth of information. 

I had thought of Muskoka but a month ago Ken was thinking that would be too aggressive for us.   It is a pretty tough, steep hilly route and you do it twice.   I was game though.   Won't rule it out yet.  

Back to my swim yesterday - there were only 3 people that had times that were significantly faster than me.   Even if I had a perfect swim they would still be 4 minutes faster.   However the rest really are not out of my league.  

My bike really should have been better by at least 1km (29 avg speed); based on what I know I CAN do and also in comparing the other atheletes in this race who have also raced 3 of the same last races that I have done.    I was doing OK up till 10km + (29+avg speed) but there is quite a steep hill that comes up and then it levels out to a more gradual climb for quite a distance.   I lost 2km/hr avg speed by the end of the climb.   Didn't even do that poorly in VT.   I just didn't have the strength.   It wasn't that I was saying - oh I hate this hill, it is killing me; I chose to spin up with small circles and was even passing people but it just took too much out of me.   I did say to myself that if we have more of these, I am toast.   The course was pretty much a constant climb to the 20km mark - sort of reminded me of Vermont.   Very beautiful.   Ken said he didn't notice - he had his head down.      Hint, Hint.

Am sitting here with my Newtons on.       Gravity, size 7.   Really looking forward to trying them out tomorrow night.   Not happy about rain in the forecast though.   Shouldn't mess the shoes up too badly, in case they don't work for me.  

Interesting ITU race, although as usual, not really exciting except for the last few minutes.   Do like watching the swim coverage though.   Hewitt and Findlay had BRUTAL swims - back of the pack.   Findlay managed to get herself up into the bike pack and then in the last 2km she brought herself up from about 10th spot to 5th on the run.   I think she even finished 5th overall in the series with only 3 races.   Hewitt just couldn't pull it off.    Emma Snowsill is simply and amazing runner.   She blew them out of the park.    When she crossed the finish line, she wasn't even breathing hard, and then the next 6 people cross and fall down on their backs!  

No more events this season, except maybe a late fall short run.   Want to focus on the running; a bit of transition; getting back into yoga next week; probably swim, bike and strength, twice a week till November, with running and yoga 4 x per time.   One of the 'runs' will actually be power walking.  We want to get some fall hiking done as well.    Come Nov. will revise training schedule to include more strength and swimming.  

Ken has been looking at the compression socks.  I was thinking it would be a good Christmas present.  Any recommendations? 

2010-09-12 11:51 AM
in reply to: #3093532

User image

Champion

ANNE -

So your bars are just bars, with no shifters at the ends? The shifters are there with your brakes?

I think all you need to do is have them "plugged", and plugs can be bought at most bike shops -- I think. The more morbid-humored of race announcers will issue that reminder before a race, saying that no one wants to have a "core sample" taken by open-ended bars.

I don't think the requirement will go as far as having a curved piece that joins them, simply because of the vast numbers of bike that have bar-end shifters, where the two ends aren't - and can't - be joined. So, if you just find plugs that will fit the openings at the end of your bars, you should be fine -- and have a nice storage rack for arm warmers,

Compression socks, eh? I have none, per se*, but I have used three different compression calf "guards", these being the ones that end above the ankle. I have never run in them, but use them strictly for recovery. However, more and more people wear them during races, and presumably definitely during workouts. I have become quite addicted to mine, wearing them more often than not around the house -- and today, while driving into Ottawa. Therapeutic benefits aside, they mostly just feel quite nice -- which might be an offshoot of a therapeutic benefit, but for now I'm just focusing on the feel!

The first ones I had were 2XU, then I got Zensah, and most recently DeSoto. Here's what I think:

2XU -- Slinky fabric and pretty huggy fit, with no obvious "extras" (see next two). There is a kind of geometric pattern on the back, but I can't see this making anything better -- it's just a tape, really, and maybe only there for reflectivity.

Zensah -- A woven fabric, and heavier than either 2XU or DeSoto. The front and back of the guards have dramatically different patterns on them. The front is supposed to provide the right angle of pressure on the sides of the shins, while the back has three differently-configured parts -- at the top of the gastocs, along the bulgy part of the gastrocs, and below the gastocs and tapering into the soleus. It reassures me some that there are these different weavings, as it actually makes me think there is some sort of advanced science involved. Even the small of these aren't as snug as 2XU or DeSoto, but snug enough.

DeSoto -- My bias here is huge, because I am a real DeSoto nut. I have raced in their stuff virtually exclusively since I first began tri in '00, and there are a lot of reasons for this that I will mostly leave out for now. What I will say is that their tri shorts are made from "Forza" compression material, and I think this works really well to provide compression of the quads and hamstrings. DeSoto says this helps to reduce muscle agitation and fatigue, and I support that view and functionality of them. In fact, several years before the current compression "boom", DeSoto was using this material in what they called their "Power Tri Shorts", at the time; they were well ahead of the compression boom, I believe!
This brings me to the compression guards, which is made out of the same material as their Forza Tri Shorts, and just feels perfect to me. In addition, there is a "band" of sorts that sits just below the gastrocs, and the effect this has for me is to feel the extra support of the gastrocs. (It's not like the gastrocs is going to droop or anything like that, but having that band there just reinfforces support in a place that seems to matter.) There is also stitching around the back and towards the front that seems to further follow the curvature of the gastrocs and I guess that works for me, too. They are really snug, and just feel wonderful! (Of course, DeSoto could probably make compression calf guards from burlap and barbed wire, and I'd go for them, hook, line, and sinker! ) The photos on their website (www.desotosport.com) show the band in back. Go to products, and then compression, and you'll find them.

With any of these, sizing is key. Had you told me this idea at HVJ I would've eyeballed Ken's calves (hubba, hubba!) and try to see how they compare with mine, but all I can say for now is that in all three of the above I am a small. This is based on circumferance around the gastrocs, with the border between small and medium being something like 14.5". As for Zensah, they come in either S/M or L/XL, and for someone to accommodate L/XL they'd have to be quite massive-calved. Snugger is better, short of cutting off circulation to the feet.

*Because I don't run in socks, I generally try to be sockless as often as possible. I guess I worry too much about seams down there that might give blisters -- even if all I'm doing is sitting around reading or watching TV or playing the guitar. Insidious creeping blisters -- the worst kind!!
In fact, I have never even tried on the sock style, and just (ignorantly?) figure that if they extend beyond the ankle they have to be losing some degree of compression just about the ankle in the process of having material that will fit OVER the ankle. Or something like that.

Hope that's all (or at least an iota of it?) somewhat useful to you!

2010-09-12 12:30 PM
in reply to: #3093600

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-09-12 12:51 PM ANNE - So your bars are just bars, with no shifters at the ends? The shifters are there with your brakes? I think all you need to do is have them "plugged", and plugs can be bought at most bike shops -- I think. The more morbid-humored of race announcers will issue that reminder before a race, saying that no one wants to have a "core sample" taken by open-ended bars. I don't think the requirement will go as far as having a curved piece that joins them, simply because of the vast numbers of bike that have bar-end shifters, where the two ends aren't - and can't - be joined. So, if you just find plugs that will fit the openings at the end of your bars, you should be fine -- and have a nice storage rack for arm warmers, Compression socks, eh? I have none, per se*, but I have used three different compression calf "guards", these being the ones that end above the ankle. I have never run in them, but use them strictly for recovery. However, more and more people wear them during races, and presumably definitely during workouts. I have become quite addicted to mine, wearing them more often than not around the house -- and today, while driving into Ottawa. Therapeutic benefits aside, they mostly just feel quite nice -- which might be an offshoot of a therapeutic benefit, but for now I'm just focusing on the feel! The first ones I had were 2XU, then I got Zensah, and most recently DeSoto. Here's what I think: 2XU -- Slinky fabric and pretty huggy fit, with no obvious "extras" (see next two). There is a kind of geometric pattern on the back, but I can't see this making anything better -- it's just a tape, really, and maybe only there for reflectivity. Zensah -- A woven fabric, and heavier than either 2XU or DeSoto. The front and back of the guards have dramatically different patterns on them. The front is supposed to provide the right angle of pressure on the sides of the shins, while the back has three differently-configured parts -- at the top of the gastocs, along the bulgy part of the gastrocs, and below the gastocs and tapering into the soleus. It reassures me some that there are these different weavings, as it actually makes me think there is some sort of advanced science involved. Even the small of these aren't as snug as 2XU or DeSoto, but snug enough. DeSoto -- My bias here is huge, because I am a real DeSoto nut. I have raced in their stuff virtually exclusively since I first began tri in '00, and there are a lot of reasons for this that I will mostly leave out for now. What I will say is that their tri shorts are made from "Forza" compression material, and I think this works really well to provide compression of the quads and hamstrings. DeSoto says this helps to reduce muscle agitation and fatigue, and I support that view and functionality of them. In fact, several years before the current compression "boom", DeSoto was using this material in what they called their "Power Tri Shorts", at the time; they were well ahead of the compression boom, I believe! This brings me to the compression guards, which is made out of the same material as their Forza Tri Shorts, and just feels perfect to me. In addition, there is a "band" of sorts that sits just below the gastrocs, and the effect this has for me is to feel the extra support of the gastrocs. (It's not like the gastrocs is going to droop or anything like that, but having that band there just reinfforces support in a place that seems to matter.) There is also stitching around the back and towards the front that seems to further follow the curvature of the gastrocs and I guess that works for me, too. They are really snug, and just feel wonderful! (Of course, DeSoto could probably make compression calf guards from burlap and barbed wire, and I'd go for them, hook, line, and sinker! ) The photos on their website (www.desotosport.com) show the band in back. Go to products, and then compression, and you'll find them. With any of these, sizing is key. Had you told me this idea at HVJ I would've eyeballed Ken's calves (hubba, hubba!) and try to see how they compare with mine, but all I can say for now is that in all three of the above I am a small. This is based on circumferance around the gastrocs, with the border between small and medium being something like 14.5". As for Zensah, they come in either S/M or L/XL, and for someone to accommodate L/XL they'd have to be quite massive-calved. Snugger is better, short of cutting off circulation to the feet. *Because I don't run in socks, I generally try to be sockless as often as possible. I guess I worry too much about seams down there that might give blisters -- even if all I'm doing is sitting around reading or watching TV or playing the guitar. Insidious creeping blisters -- the worst kind!! In fact, I have never even tried on the sock style, and just (ignorantly?) figure that if they extend beyond the ankle they have to be losing some degree of compression just about the ankle in the process of having material that will fit OVER the ankle. Or something like that. Hope that's all (or at least an iota of it?) somewhat useful to you!

Thanks for this information on the compression guards.   I called them socks incorrectly.   Ken has quite huge calves.   I will have to measure them.   Neither Ken or I generally run in socks.  Although I do in winter running.   They had a huge selection at Running Free.   I really liked their store.

Thanks for clarifying the remedy for my bars.   My shifters ARE on my brakes.   Next time I go out riding, I'm going to try that out.  
2010-09-12 6:42 PM
in reply to: #3093143

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
latestarter - 2010-09-11 9:33 PM

stevebradley - 2010-09-11 5:48 PM ANNE -- BELATED HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! That's two in a row I've missed -- Shaun and you. (And four including Mindy and Lisa from the other group.) My bad! My VERY bad!! Anyhow, it sounds like you had a great day as part of a fine weekend.......although arriving home a little while ago I expected some summary of the race. Well, I guess you are enjoying a nine-course feast, or watching one of the four TVs in your suite of luxury-appointed rooms, and you wil respond in due course. As for me, I guess I'm off to Sportstats* to try and ferret out the pertinent details. More thoughts of your last night's post, later. *Oops. No Sportstats for John Salt's races!

Here you go.  

Tougher bike course than I expected, but easier than Orillia.  Usual winds SE15ish km/hr.   Some good athletes/competition at this event!   Despite my time, I actually had a good swim but got off course NUMEROUS times.   Goggles fogged the entire time and had to stop several times to de-fog.   Coming back into the sun couldn't see anything either.   Going to have to work on this for next year.   First time with this type of swim with shallow water and having quite a long run in the water to timing mat, then to transition.   Water was 67*.   Bought a neoprene hood which served me well.   Comments from several people wishing they had it.   Did a 15' pre-swim w/u and it took me 5+ minutes to numb my face.   By noon the air was feeling warm, but by 2:00-3:00 cooling quickly with some clouds coming in. 

Briefly for now:   28km/hr bike - 2.20/100meter swim (pure swim time)  Clicked watch at sandbar when could no longer swim - water at ankles and had to run/walk the rest of the way. 

Aqua/Bike:

14/20 overall
11/20 Bike
20/23 Swim
10/23 T1

1st place 55-59 beat me by 22" but I beat her on the bike by 2 minutes.

When finding my 'place' amongst the full triathlon group for the swim and the bike:

240/309 on the bike
277/309 on the swim
6/11 on the bike with F 55-59
11/11 on the swim with F 55-59 - based on actual chip time with water running, running to T1, etc.  Ooh that was BAD!  

Race was OK considering I was going to bail on it.     

Hey Anne, great race! Good for you guys getting in the water this late in the season.

And congrats on the very close to 1st place AG placement!

Tracey

2010-09-12 6:46 PM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
Anne:

Good luck with the Newtons! I'm interested to hear how you make out in them. It would be great if they could allow you to get back to running again. Now that my neuroma pain is gone, it's amazing what it feels like to run pain free and just be able to focus on the running and building up my endurance and speed.

I did a 2 mile run today with a pace of 11:33 min/mile. My pace on my "tempo" runs seems to be getting progressively better, and I don't think I could have ever gotten this far if the neuroma was still an issue.

Tracey

2010-09-12 6:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
Well my streak of having no falls since beginning clipped-in riding back in April has now been broken! I dropped my water bottle on my ride today and tried to stop to go back to get it. I unclipped my left foot, but when I stopped the bike I was leaning too far to the right to get my left foot down on the ground, so down I went on the side of the road, quite ungracefully I might add! My right knee is pretty banged up as a result... I knew it was a matter of time!

Tracey

2010-09-12 7:28 PM
in reply to: #3094111

Master
Kitchener
thall0672 - 2010-09-12 7:46 PM Anne: Good luck with the Newtons! I'm interested to hear how you make out in them. It would be great if they could allow you to get back to running again. Now that my neuroma pain is gone, it's amazing what it feels like to run pain free and just be able to focus on the running and building up my endurance and speed. I did a 2 mile run today with a pace of 11:33 min/mile. My pace on my "tempo" runs seems to be getting progressively better, and I don't think I could have ever gotten this far if the neuroma was still an issue. Tracey

Thanks Tracey.   I'm so nervous about it because I have such high expectations based on your experience.   Will let you know as soon as I get home from running tomorrow night.     I'm really happy for you that your running is going so well.  

2010-09-12 7:32 PM

Master
Kitchener
Anyone ever watch an athlete race with the ironmanlive.com/tracking.   It is so cool.   I have been watching the progress of a BT friend, SSMinnow (Suzy Shain) who is doing her first ironman today in Wisconsin.   She has about 13km left to run and is at about 12.5 hours.   Can't believe how excited I am for her. 

STEVE - do you know anything about that course?   I think the bike sounded pretty tough.  
2010-09-12 7:42 PM
in reply to: #3094216

User image

Champion

ANNE -

MOO is a tough course, mostly because it's rollers that just never end, so people find it hard to get imto any rhythm; it might be a bit like either of the Muskoka courses in that respect, but 2X or 2+X longer!

And because people push hard on the bike, they often blow up on the run. Lose-lose!

When hooslisa and I were both thinking of doing Louisville, I went through a big comparison of LOO and LP and MOO, partially because at the time she was also thinking about Wisconsion - MOO. I was quite surpreised to see how poorly the times compared at MOO versus the others. I will try to find where I posted that and lead you to it. It's quite telling.

Before MOO began, people thought it would be a cakewalk -- wetsuit swim, nice season, not at all hilly like LP. But then they discovered the rollers, and that was that. It'll probably sell out by 10:03 tomorrow morning, but that won't be on the virtues of it being an easy iron!

2010-09-12 7:44 PM
in reply to: #3094121

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

Of course I'm sorry that happened, but which is the more banged-up -- knee or ego? Were there any spectators there, heaven forbid?

Nice win for Pats today!!!

2010-09-12 7:59 PM
in reply to: #3094235

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-09-12 8:44 PM

TRACEY -

Of course I'm sorry that happened, but which is the more banged-up -- knee or ego? Were there any spectators there, heaven forbid?

Nice win for Pats today!!!

Well there was only one car that happened to pass just as I teetered over (thankful for early Sunday morning light traffic!)

After that incident, I was riding down another busier road going toward Plymouth airport, and I dropped my water bottle (yes, again.) A passenger in the car that was going by me helpfully yelled out, "Dropped your water!!!"

Hmm, maybe I need to get a Camelbak!

2010-09-12 8:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
There's a Oly they do every fall in Bermuda (although this year's race was cancelled):

http://www.escapetobermudatriathlon.com/

Donna (my sometimes training partner) and I agreed that if they hold it in 2011, we're doing it! It's kind of a crazy leap, since both of us are beginners and have only done sprints, and from what I can tell this is a very challenging course. I just remember Bermuda being very hilly from the time I vacationed there. But hey, it'll be a trip to Bermuda.

Tracey

2010-09-12 8:02 PM
in reply to: #3094276

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

Either that, or squeeze the edges of the loose-gripping cage so it holds better. Or, stay off the roads with the enormous potholes that launch your bottles!

2010-09-12 8:09 PM
in reply to: #3094280

User image

Champion

TRACEY again -

That's a new one on me. I'll have to go and check it out, although it's probably not a place that Lynn would really like to go to (she favors more exotic and less developed spots).

I have never flown to a race, and even though I have gone to some far-flung places, it's always benn me behind the wheel and the bike right behind me.

I am giving some thought to doing Pucon70.3, which is in Chile in mid-January. I think Lynn would go for that, although the cost is around $400US, up quite a bit from the $250-275US for other branded 70.3 races. That might be a deal-breaker in itself, and I guess is why I haven't pursued it too far at all.

And there is no reason at all why relatively new-to-triathlon folks shouldn't go to wherever they want to go to race. So by all means -- do it!!

2010-09-12 8:13 PM
in reply to: #3092922

User image

Champion

ANNE again -

EUREKA! I found it!

Go to the other group, page 194, and it's at the top. I compared several races, and all from the perspective of M60-64. I chose "benchmark" times that I think represent a decent performance -- not stellar, not a sufferfest. Numbers are there for the run and the bike and overall, with two years for Wisconsin seeing as how that was the one she was weighing against Louisville (MOO vs LOO). It's an eye-opener, to be sure!!

Enjoy!

2010-09-12 8:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
SteveB:

After posting about the Bermuda tri (which I'm starting to think may not happen next year because it's actually been two years in a row now that it's been cancelled, and the website hasn't been updated since 2009's announcement), I'm somewhat preoccupied with doing an Oly out of the country next year. Do you know anything about any of these races?

http://WWW.ROSEHALLTRIATHLON.COM/
http://www.blackpearltriathlon.com/(not sure about flying all the way to French Polynesia for a race, but one can always dream... it looks fabulous!)
http://www.triathlonbardolino.it/index.php?option=com_content&view=...

2010-09-12 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3094297

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-09-12 9:13 PM ANNE again - EUREKA! I found it! Go to the other group, page 194, and it's at the top. I compared several races, and all from the perspective of M60-64. I chose "benchmark" times that I think represent a decent performance -- not stellar, not a sufferfest. Numbers are there for the run and the bike and overall, with two years for Wisconsin seeing as how that was the one she was weighing against Louisville (MOO vs LOO). It's an eye-opener, to be sure!! Enjoy!

WOW, those are some pretty crazy numbers.   I'm so excited for Suzy.   She lives in Madison.    She only has about 3km to go now and is at 13hr27min I think.   Her swim was 1hr30 and her bike was 7hr 18, I think.   It's like I want to be there and watch her cross the finish line.   She is a cute, tiny little thing, about 4'10" but a hard core triathlete.   You should check her logs sometimes.   Kind of freaks me out.  
2010-09-13 8:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
I did it!  I did it!  Figured out how to upload with my new computer (don't have my Picasa anymore)

Breakfast at the Cottage Cafe in Pine River:
Bruce (Denise's husband), John (Lisa's husband), Lisa, Denise

Had a great time yacking, yacking, yacking.  Lisa was feeling better now that she's met another BTer.  She was feeling out-of-the-loop being down in Texas.  They're headed up to Canada to see their daughter's first performance in "Mama Mia".

Lisa/John - Thanks for making time to see us - You guys are on a busy, busy schedule - It was fun

Edited by LadyNorth 2010-09-13 10:05 AM

(cootage-570-97.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
cootage-570-97.jpg (94KB - 24 downloads)
2010-09-13 10:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Anne/SteveB,

I spent much of yesterday tracking MOO racers on breaks from working in the yard.  Congrats to Suzy.  My cousin's wife's sister (hey, I'll track anybody) did great on the swim/bike, but had a terrible run - 6:38 - so she basically walked it.  But she did finish.  I bet she pushed too hard on the bike - since SteveB says that's a common mistake at MOO.
2010-09-13 10:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

SteveB,

haha - great minds - I was just looking at Pucon last week.
I have my annual doc appt next week and I was going to talk to her about my doing a half next year(after my meniscus surgery 2 years ago I was told not to run long distances).  I've done quite a few sprints with no knee problems and an Olympic just doesn't excite me (except as prep for a half).

2010-09-13 10:48 AM
in reply to: #3092181

User image

stevebradley - 2010-09-10 3:15 PM STEVE again - Sigh. Quality control of my memory uncovered a Systems Failure. The last M60-64 at LOO was in 16:01. i then checked SG, and maybe that was what I was thinking about -- the last M60-64 there was 16:57:36. Right church, wrong pew? Here's something for you to mull over: SG had 27 M60-64 finishers, with Kona spots going to #2 and #7. Two spots for 27 finishers. LP had 34 M60-64 finsihers, with only one Kona spot, grabbed by the guy who finished 1st -- by only ELEVEN seconds! That doesn't sound quite fair to me......but what do I know? And the guy who finished 2nd then went out and did Timberman......and missed a podium spot by four seconds! It doesn't get much suckier than those two happenings! (I paid attention to that because I have met him -- he won the M55-59 international at Mooseman '07, where I finished 3rd. He is a phemomenal swimmer.)

Wow, that sounds brutal.  I'm picking up little dribs and drabs of how these things are run, and it's a weird brew they have going.  From what I understand, the races are licensed by Ironman, and the races "buy" Kona slots as marketing tools to get people to the race.  More slots = more participants I guess.  Makes sense.  Then, of course, they allocate slots based on percentage of racers.  I can't imagine going that fast and not getting the slot.  I'd just be too much of a heart break.  As such, I'm determined to remain slow so it won't become an issue.  :-)
2010-09-13 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3093143

User image

latestarter - 2010-09-11 6:33 PM
stevebradley - 2010-09-11 5:48 PM ANNE -- BELATED HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! That's two in a row I've missed -- Shaun and you. (And four including Mindy and Lisa from the other group.) My bad! My VERY bad!! Anyhow, it sounds like you had a great day as part of a fine weekend.......although arriving home a little while ago I expected some summary of the race. Well, I guess you are enjoying a nine-course feast, or watching one of the four TVs in your suite of luxury-appointed rooms, and you wil respond in due course. As for me, I guess I'm off to Sportstats* to try and ferret out the pertinent details. More thoughts of your last night's post, later. *Oops. No Sportstats for John Salt's races!

Here you go.  

Tougher bike course than I expected, but easier than Orillia.  Usual winds SE15ish km/hr.   Some good athletes/competition at this event!   Despite my time, I actually had a good swim but got off course NUMEROUS times.   Goggles fogged the entire time and had to stop several times to de-fog.   Coming back into the sun couldn't see anything either.   Going to have to work on this for next year.   First time with this type of swim with shallow water and having quite a long run in the water to timing mat, then to transition.   Water was 67*.   Bought a neoprene hood which served me well.   Comments from several people wishing they had it.   Did a 15' pre-swim w/u and it took me 5+ minutes to numb my face.   By noon the air was feeling warm, but by 2:00-3:00 cooling quickly with some clouds coming in. 

Briefly for now:   28km/hr bike - 2.20/100meter swim (pure swim time)  Clicked watch at sandbar when could no longer swim - water at ankles and had to run/walk the rest of the way. 

Aqua/Bike:

14/20 overall
11/20 Bike
20/23 Swim
10/23 T1

1st place 55-59 beat me by 22" but I beat her on the bike by 2 minutes.

When finding my 'place' amongst the full triathlon group for the swim and the bike:

240/309 on the bike
277/309 on the swim
6/11 on the bike with F 55-59
11/11 on the swim with F 55-59 - based on actual chip time with water running, running to T1, etc.  Ooh that was BAD!  

Race was OK considering I was going to bail on it.     

Sounds like you had a fine day!  Great bike leg. 
2010-09-13 11:21 AM

User image

Nautica....

Well, that happened.  Very pleased and frustrated at the same time.  Which sounds about normal for me.  Heh.

Good day overall.  Was very loose and relaxed the whole day, and day prior.  Which is a first. 

Swim:  30:12 (1 second slower than last year).  Good swim overall.  The water was COLD.  58 degrees was the announced temperature, and it felt like it.  Last year, I swam faster but was all over the course.  This year, I swam much smarter, which I think means I was also slower.  LOL.  Got right into the fray from the start, kept the inside line on the buoys (which were on our right side), and sighted off of the bodies to my left.  I breath to the left, so am not able to sight the shore, so I took the angle of sighting off the other swimmers.  I was fortunate to find several swimmers who were pacing well for me, and who I noticed were regularly sighting, so I just kept them to my immediate left and went for it and it worked out well.  Only real challenge was that there was no surf coming back in - last year we were able to catch some waves coming in - this year, we had to swim until our fingers hit the sand which cost a little time. 

T1:  BLED time here.  4:55.  The water showers weren't working coming out of the sand, so my feet were caked with sand and I had to sit down to clean them off enough to put socks on - cost me some time - about 1:25 longer than last year.

Bike:  1:11:04 (19 seconds slower than last year).  Well, best laid plans and all.  HR was very high the entire ride.  I got on the bike at 160 bpm, and went up from there.  I felt really good on the bike, but the HR had me concerned, so I didn't hit a couple of the hills as hard as I had intended.  I was of two minds on the bike - go hard knowing the run would be lackluster, or try to pace a bit knowing the run would be lackluster.  When I saw the HR was high, I figured I'd better hold back a bit to prevent a major bonk.  But, as the ride went on, I kept feeling good and started to push more.  All in all, it was a good bike.  I think I lost about 60-90 seconds in the "no pass zones".  I got so frustrated in one of them that I looked over the shoulder for an official, and when I saw I was clear, I jumped the cones and went around a rider on a mountain bike who was taking in the scenery.  I'm a bit surprised by the time - I felt  faster...but hey, I'll take it!

T2 - 2:35  (11 seconds longer than last year)

Run:  48:00 (53 seconds longer than last year) - REALLY surprised by this time for two reasons.  First, I thought I'd put up a 50-minute run or longer for sure going in.  Second, I had some major cramping and foot issues for the first 3 miles.  All the sand in the socks/shoes had my feet suffering quite a bit.  But it was the muscle that wraps around the front of the shin that had me in real bad shape.  I had to stop 2x to try and stretch it out, and considered stopping all-together around mile 2 and walking it out.  But I asked myself whether I was injured, or just hurting.  I was just hurting, so I did my best to ignore it and kept going.  At mile 3, there is a slight downhill section followed by a slight uphill grade (and I mean very slight in both cases).  The downhill portion hurt like hell, but the uphill changed everything and by the time I was on the flat again, the pain was largely gone.  I was able to get the long-distance stare going and stared to find people to chase down.  I ended up doing the last 2 miles at just around a 7 minute pace. 

Final time:  2:36:47 (2:55 slower than last year).  Rank was 42/144 in AG. 

It was good to race again.  Makes me wonder (AGAIN) if I should have done Vineman after all.  I thought my fitness at this time of the year was far below that of last year, but my running times were good.  I think it sets me up well for Silverman - a good confidence builder.  I think I can shift focus now to the longer sessions and do so with some confidence that my fitness isn't as far off as I'd like it to be.  I think my next real challenge is dropping about 5 pounds between now and November.  Diet has been terrible since July - but if I can manage some portion control over the next 8 weeks, with the ramp in mileage, I should be able to get back down to 165 or below by race day.

Onward and upward.
2010-09-13 6:39 PM

User image

Oh, one other note...need to really look at my nutrition.  Failed to mention that I ran from the finish line to the bathroom.  LOL.

Similar issues to IMSG - started to feel very crampy and "bloaty" toward the end of the bike and then had a couple of "I hope I can make it in OK" moments on the run if you know what I mean.

Nutrition and timeline was pretty basic:
A bit of coffee at 4:00 to get things going.
Promax bar and Cliff Bar at 4:30  (560 calories) (typically did this on all beach training days)
Promax bar at 6:30 (300 calories)
In water at 7:10
1 solid hit of hammer gel in T1
Hammer gel at turnaround
hammer gel at start of run
hammer gel at mile 4
1.25 aerobottles of low-cal gatorade on the bike
some water on the run at the aid stations

On training days, I had the luxury of a pit stop after the swim but before the bike.  I need to figure out what it is that is causing the bloating and cramping.  I think the first thing I do is cut out the coffee and dial down the pre-workout food.  Other thoughts?
Maybe too much hammer?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276