BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2009-06-03 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2068561

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
Subject: RE: Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training)
hey sorry for being mia for the past few days-that work thing just keeps getting in my way of some quality time spent on BT. but i have great news-
well after waiting 90 mins to meet with my dr-i have been given the all clear to become a triathlete. run until i cant run anymore, or until my knee becomes too painful to run comes from my dr. so i have signed up for a race on july 12!!!!! it is a sprint triathlon and i am excited.
this morning off to attend my daughters dance festival at her school. it made her day. so no am training, but i am hopeful this evening to got for a nice walk\jog for a few miles. i hope that everyone is well and happy.

2009-06-03 11:59 AM
in reply to: #2191996

wplummer - 2009-06-03 12:43 PM hey sorry for being mia for the past few days-that work thing just keeps getting in my way of some quality time spent on BT. but i have great news- well after waiting 90 mins to meet with my dr-i have been given the all clear to become a triathlete. run until i cant run anymore, or until my knee becomes too painful to run comes from my dr. so i have signed up for a race on july 12!!!!! it is a sprint triathlon and i am excited. this morning off to attend my daughters dance festival at her school. it made her day. so no am training, but i am hopeful this evening to got for a nice walk\jog for a few miles. i hope that everyone is well and happy.

Yay, congrats on the good prognosis!! Just take the running slow - don't want to reinjure yourself But you know that

2009-06-03 12:55 PM

User image

wplummer - 2009-06-03 12:43 PM hey sorry for being mia for the past few days-that work thing just keeps getting in my way of some quality time spent on BT. but i have great news- well after waiting 90 mins to meet with my dr-i have been given the all clear to become a triathlete. run until i cant run anymore, or until my knee becomes too painful to run comes from my dr. so i have signed up for a race on july 12!!!!! it is a sprint triathlon and i am excited. this morning off to attend my daughters dance festival at her school. it made her day. so no am training, but i am hopeful this evening to got for a nice walk\jog for a few miles. i hope that everyone is well and happy.

Congratulations!!  That is great news!!
2009-06-04 7:40 AM

User image

I had an unexpected run last night...our dog attacked a fawn, and the mama deer came out attacking both dogs, and cornering me & the boys for 20 minutes!! We were far from the house & I had to grab both boys and run up to the house & we were waiting for my husband to get home...the deck door was locked and the deer was between us & the garage...not exactly what I was planning for a nice Wed. evening!  It was crazy, I have never had such a freaked out moment...trying to make sure the boys were okay, and watching my poor dog get stomped...Parker, the one who went after the fawn had to get staples, and we found out he has Lyme disease, and Phoebe our little cocker spaniel is just bruised...my legs are killing me today from sprinting up the hill in heels with a 30+ lb boy in each arm!!!
2009-06-04 7:55 AM
in reply to: #2194186

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-06-04 8:40 AM  I had an unexpected run last night...our dog attacked a fawn, and the mama deer came out attacking both dogs, and cornering me & the boys for 20 minutes!! We were far from the house & I had to grab both boys and run up to the house & we were waiting for my husband to get home...the deck door was locked and the deer was between us & the garage...not exactly what I was planning for a nice Wed. evening!  It was crazy, I have never had such a freaked out moment...trying to make sure the boys were okay, and watching my poor dog get stomped...Parker, the one who went after the fawn had to get staples, and we found out he has Lyme disease, and Phoebe our little cocker spaniel is just bruised...my legs are killing me today from sprinting up the hill in heels with a 30+ lb boy in each arm!!!

Wow!! Glad to hear your doggies are (mostly) all right - I hope the one who got Lyme disease recovers well. And glad none of the humans involved were hurt.

2009-06-04 8:40 AM

User image

Regular
wplummer - 2009-06-03 11:43 AM hey sorry for being mia for the past few days-that work thing just keeps getting in my way of some quality time spent on BT. but i have great news- well after waiting 90 mins to meet with my dr-i have been given the all clear to become a triathlete. run until i cant run anymore, or until my knee becomes too painful to run comes from my dr. so i have signed up for a race on july 12!!!!! it is a sprint triathlon and i am excited. this morning off to attend my daughters dance festival at her school. it made her day. so no am training, but i am hopeful this evening to got for a nice walk\jog for a few miles. i hope that everyone is well and happy.

Congrats!  Good luck with your training.  Don't overdo it!

2009-06-04 8:44 AM
in reply to: #2194186

User image

Regular
kmbhoya2000 - 2009-06-04 7:40 AM  I had an unexpected run last night...our dog attacked a fawn, and the mama deer came out attacking both dogs, and cornering me & the boys for 20 minutes!! We were far from the house & I had to grab both boys and run up to the house & we were waiting for my husband to get home...the deck door was locked and the deer was between us & the garage...not exactly what I was planning for a nice Wed. evening!  It was crazy, I have never had such a freaked out moment...trying to make sure the boys were okay, and watching my poor dog get stomped...Parker, the one who went after the fawn had to get staples, and we found out he has Lyme disease, and Phoebe our little cocker spaniel is just bruised...my legs are killing me today from sprinting up the hill in heels with a 30+ lb boy in each arm!!!

Wow.  Sorry that is sad for all of you.  I hope the dogs recover well and quickly and that the boys weren't too scared!

I had a bad AM.  I changed gyms due to masters swimming and went to spin for the first time at the new place.  Bikes not as nice, no built in HR monitor or distance guage so I had no clue how things went, (next time I will wear my precor watch) AND my new Shimano shoes and clips DON'T WORK ON THE PEDALS.

STOMP STOMP STOMP

I guess I should have checked out the spin bikes before I got my shoes, cleats, and pedals.  I am pretty upset.  For that $$$ I wanted to be able to spin in them. 

Looks like I have to suck it up and deal.  I could get cheap shoes/cleats for spinning I guess.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
2009-06-04 8:49 AM
in reply to: #2194391

amkaz - 2009-06-04 9:44 AM
kmbhoya2000 - 2009-06-04 7:40 AM  I had an unexpected run last night...our dog attacked a fawn, and the mama deer came out attacking both dogs, and cornering me & the boys for 20 minutes!! We were far from the house & I had to grab both boys and run up to the house & we were waiting for my husband to get home...the deck door was locked and the deer was between us & the garage...not exactly what I was planning for a nice Wed. evening!  It was crazy, I have never had such a freaked out moment...trying to make sure the boys were okay, and watching my poor dog get stomped...Parker, the one who went after the fawn had to get staples, and we found out he has Lyme disease, and Phoebe our little cocker spaniel is just bruised...my legs are killing me today from sprinting up the hill in heels with a 30+ lb boy in each arm!!!

Wow.  Sorry that is sad for all of you.  I hope the dogs recover well and quickly and that the boys weren't too scared!

I had a bad AM.  I changed gyms due to masters swimming and went to spin for the first time at the new place.  Bikes not as nice, no built in HR monitor or distance guage so I had no clue how things went, (next time I will wear my precor watch) AND my new Shimano shoes and clips DON'T WORK ON THE PEDALS.

STOMP STOMP STOMP

I guess I should have checked out the spin bikes before I got my shoes, cleats, and pedals.  I am pretty upset.  For that $$$ I wanted to be able to spin in them. 

Looks like I have to suck it up and deal.  I could get cheap shoes/cleats for spinning I guess.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

What kind of cleats do they use? Your shoes should be compatible to more than one type of cleat - and the cleats are the cheap part, like $20 tops. Most spin bikes uses the SPD cleats, I've found.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2009-06-04 8:49 AM
2009-06-04 9:56 AM
in reply to: #2194391

User image

Sorry Amy, that's frustrating!  Thanks for the thoughts...luckily parker seems good, he is just very sore and moping...Phoebe seems really good this morning, which is great, as she's little, and I was worried about inside damage...and the boys are good, Liam just keeps talking about it, but I'm glad he's talking rather than thinking about it and freaking out...
2009-06-04 9:57 AM

User image

BTW, now I know how to get an immediate adrenaline rush, I just need to think about yesterday!!
2009-06-04 11:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
kathleen-i am glad that you, your kids, and dogs are all ok. that had to be a little bit of a stressful situation.
i just want to say thank you to everyone for their inspiration while patiently recuperating from my fun surgery. so thank you.
no training this morning. we are having a conference at the arena so the call time was 6:30am. tomorrow i hope for a run and swim.
have a terrific thursday everyone.

2009-06-04 1:08 PM
in reply to: #2194899

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
Wow, that is a crazy story about the deer attacking your dogs. Sound like you did a good job handling it, I would be so shocked I would stand there for a minute trying to figure out what was happening.

It has been raining here every afternoon, which is very rare, and I am hoping that things clear up by this weekend. If not, guess I will just be racing in the rain!
2009-06-04 1:28 PM

User image

Thanks all for your support!  I am relieved that we were all fine for the most part (except of course the poor baby but I guess that's part of nature...)

Good luck with all of your training, I am mostly on coast now for my race Sunday...please send lots of good vibes my way, I really need them!!!
2009-06-04 1:33 PM
in reply to: #2195246

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-06-04 2:28 PM Thanks all for your support!  I am relieved that we were all fine for the most part (except of course the poor baby but I guess that's part of nature...)

Good luck with all of your training, I am mostly on coast now for my race Sunday...please send lots of good vibes my way, I really need them!!!

Yes, good luck to both of you!! I will be sending good vibes and prayers for NO RAIN!! And for that water to magically warm up for you, Kathleen!

2009-06-05 7:25 AM

Good morning! Once again, good luck to those racing this week - can't wait to read the race reports Our weather is finally supposed to clear up tomorrow - raining and cool here AGAIN today. Yesterday was just disgusting and gloomy. For those not racing, anything good on tap for the weekend? I think I'm riding with my two irl-mentees tomorrow morning, or at least one of them - hopefully - if she shows up! Neither of them are particularly reliable. Sunday is the first group run for my Ragnar Relay team, of which I am Captain. The Relay is a 12-person 183-mile relay run along the historic C&O Canal, from Western MD to DC, in late September (they actually have several events across the country at various times of the year). It's run over the course of about 24 hours or so, all through the night. You have to come up with team names, and themes, if you like. We have to procure two 15-passenger vans, which we are allowed to decorate. Should be crazy and fun. I don't know a good chunk of the people on the team, as they are friends of my Co-Captain, and not everyone knows each other, so I am organizing periodic group runs so people can meet each other, run together and I can see where everyone is at. The only stipulation is that we keep an 11-minute mile pace, so I just need to make sure that everyone will be fast enough.

2009-06-05 8:06 AM

User image

Regular
Good Morning all!  Good luck to all who race this week!

[What kind of cleats do they use? Your shoes should be compatible to more than one type of cleat - and the cleats are the cheap part, like $20 tops. Most spin bikes uses the SPD cleats, I've found.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2009-06-04 8:49 AM

-----
"An astronaut chicken = rotisserie chicken. But I like to think of them as being in their own little old school space capsule, hence, astronaut chicken" - Chaderbox]

It's 100% my fault.  I bought some used once Shimano shoes on eBay for a sick great price.  Well they ONLY took road bike cleats (they are bigger I guess) and not SPD even though the listing said SPD.  So when I went to the bike shop to get my pedals I went in and said I need SPD pedals.  We picked some out.  He said he could put the cleats on for me so I brought in my shoes.  It was then he said "Oh, you can't use these cleats with those shoes" so I knew it was probably an issue.  I had a choice, new shoes that were 3 times the cost of the ones I got on eBay (and they are comfy I like them) OR upgrade the pedals, so I did that knowing it COULD be an issue and it was.  My own fault.  I have been rationalizing though.... If I get a bike trainer for at home... I dont really need spin class anymore, right?  Between a bike trainer and a treadmill (we have that) I could just worry about the gym for swimming....  Up here I have winter to think about.

2009-06-05 8:15 AM
in reply to: #2196720

amkaz - 2009-06-05 9:06 AM
It's 100% my fault.  I bought some used once Shimano shoes on eBay for a sick great price.  Well they ONLY took road bike cleats (they are bigger I guess) and not SPD even though the listing said SPD.  So when I went to the bike shop to get my pedals I went in and said I need SPD pedals.  We picked some out.  He said he could put the cleats on for me so I brought in my shoes.  It was then he said "Oh, you can't use these cleats with those shoes" so I knew it was probably an issue.  I had a choice, new shoes that were 3 times the cost of the ones I got on eBay (and they are comfy I like them) OR upgrade the pedals, so I did that knowing it COULD be an issue and it was.  My own fault.  I have been rationalizing though.... If I get a bike trainer for at home... I dont really need spin class anymore, right?  Between a bike trainer and a treadmill (we have that) I could just worry about the gym for swimming....  Up here I have winter to think about.

Ah, that sucks. Yes, if you get a trainer, then no you don't really need spin class, as spin class isn't quite like riding on the road. I know some roadie types (not triathletes) who love spin class during the winter for conditioning, but they generally ride outside on the weekends throughout the year. Otherwise, it's a good workout but  not much else. The one thing it DOES get you used to is spinning your legs at a higher cadence (90ish). Not the crazy super-fast stuff that some spin instructors make you do - none of that is useful and it can actually hurt you. But just getting on a spin bike and spinning for an hour will teach your muscles what it feels like to go around that fast. At least for newbs, I think it's somewhat useful. But again, if you get the trainer, you won't need spin class Be warned, though, the trainer is INSANELY boring. Make a good, kickin' iPod mix, or watch movies that fire you up. I have my DVR set to record triathlon broadcasting on NBC Universal sports - they often show the coverage from previous IM World Championships (Kona), and I find that those get me going. The longest I've ever ridden on a trainer was 2 hours and I think that's about all I could handle. I know people who've done 4-5 hour trainer rides. That's both mind and a$$-numbing!

PS - if you want to quote, hit "Quote" instead of "Reply" and find the LAST place where you see [ /QUOTE]. Then start typing.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2009-06-05 8:16 AM
2009-06-05 8:53 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
afternoon ya'll

Just back from doing my final piece of university work.
EVER
Am happy. but somewhat wondering what to do with myself. Train train and train i guess ...

I'll be back on the bt forum much moar nao
2009-06-05 8:54 AM
in reply to: #2196884

SteveyD - 2009-06-05 9:53 AM afternoon ya'll

Just back from doing my final piece of university work.
EVER
Am happy. but somewhat wondering what to do with myself. Train train and train i guess ...

I'll be back on the bt forum much moar nao

Congrats!! Enjoy it while you can, cuz the 9 to 5 gig sux

2009-06-07 12:21 PM

User image

I FINISHED!!!!!!  I was pretty pathetic in the swim and almost thought there was no way I could do the bike, but I did, and things got better!!  I'm super sore, but I crossed the finish line!!  Will do race report later...interested to see exactly HOW slow I was!!!
2009-06-08 7:40 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge

Finishing is the main thing! Congrats

2009-06-08 7:41 AM
in reply to: #2200132

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-06-07 1:21 PM I FINISHED!!!!!!  I was pretty pathetic in the swim and almost thought there was no way I could do the bike, but I did, and things got better!!  I'm super sore, but I crossed the finish line!!  Will do race report later...interested to see exactly HOW slow I was!!!

Yay!!!! Congrats, triathlete!!! I can't wait to see the race report. Don't worry about being slow - my first triathlon was a travesty! All that matters is that you finished!

Morning to everyone else! Can't wait to hear from our other weekend racer, James. I ran on Sunday, that was about it. BUT - marathon training starts today! Yahoo!! Yes, I am excited to train to run 26.2 miles Just think of all of the chocolate milk I get to drink! Let's hope and pray that I don't get injured again this year...

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2009-06-08 7:43 AM
2009-06-08 7:54 AM
in reply to: #2200132

User image

Regular
kmbhoya2000 - 2009-06-07 12:21 PM I FINISHED!!!!!!  I was pretty pathetic in the swim and almost thought there was no way I could do the bike, but I did, and things got better!!  I'm super sore, but I crossed the finish line!!  Will do race report later...interested to see exactly HOW slow I was!!!

Yeah!! Congratulations!!  Can't wait to read all about it that is awesome!!!!!!!

Chrissy,  I have a question for you.  I got this email Sat about my race:
"Participants please be advised that the current water temperatures at Naperville's Centennial Beach are reading in the mid-60's. With cooler weather and rain forecasted for the coming week, Wetsuits Are Suggested for next Sunday's event. Wetsuit rentals and sales will be available at the Multisport Expo on Saturday, June 14th. SUPPLIES ARE LIMITIED. Don't miss out! To reserve a rental for the event, please send an email to [email protected]."

I have swam in that pool once already, water temp was 67 and I swam 1100 yards.  I was going to go swim in it tonight, too.  I also swam in our pool this weekend and it was 67.  Not sure of the yardage because of how small it is and I swim in a figure 8 so I am not always pushing off, but I swam 30 min so I figure about 1000 yards.  Both times my mind felt a little numb.

I have NEVER used a wet suit before.  I don't think I want to try on my first triathlon without practice.  If I get a neoprene cap do you think I will be ok?  What should I do I am panicking.

Also, I think you will do great training for your marathon and you will be injury free cause you are going to do everything right .

Thanks

Edited by amkaz 2009-06-08 7:59 AM
2009-06-08 8:09 AM
in reply to: #2201400

amkaz - 2009-06-08 8:54 AM
kmbhoya2000 - 2009-06-07 12:21 PM I FINISHED!!!!!!  I was pretty pathetic in the swim and almost thought there was no way I could do the bike, but I did, and things got better!!  I'm super sore, but I crossed the finish line!!  Will do race report later...interested to see exactly HOW slow I was!!!

Yeah!! Congratulations!!  Can't wait to read all about it that is awesome!!!!!!!

Chrissy,  I have a question for you.  I got this email Sat about my race:
"Participants please be advised that the current water temperatures at Naperville's Centennial Beach are reading in the mid-60's. With cooler weather and rain forecasted for the coming week, Wetsuits Are Suggested for next Sunday's event. Wetsuit rentals and sales will be available at the Multisport Expo on Saturday, June 14th. SUPPLIES ARE LIMITIED. Don't miss out! To reserve a rental for the event, please send an email to [email protected]."

I have swam in that pool once already, water temp was 67 and I swam 1100 yards.  I was going to go swim in it tonight, too.  I also swam in our pool this weekend and it was 67.  Not sure of the yardage because of how small it is and I swim in a figure 8 so I am not always pushing off, but I swam 30 min so I figure about 1000 yards.  Both times my mind felt a little numb.

I have NEVER used a wet suit before.  I don't think I want to try on my first triathlon without practice.  If I get a neoprene cap do you think I will be ok?  What should I do I am panicking.

Also, I think you will do great training for your marathon and you will be injury free cause you are going to do everything right .

Thanks

I agree, renting a wetsuit the day before a race, without any chance to try it out isn't the best idea. Mid-high 60s, as you said, is slightly uncomfortable, but doable. How long is the swim distance for your race? If it's short, I'd say, just wear 2 swim caps if you have more than one - cheaper than going out and getting a neoprene cap. You could also wear some earplugs to keep the cold water out of your ears, which can make you feel woozy (remember, I had that happen at my race back in April and I HAD a wetsuit). For a pool swim, you probably won't be in the water long enough for it to really bother you. I'd go with double caps (or if you WANT, get or borrow a neoprene one), and some ear plugs. Before the swim, get in and warm up a bit, so you're already wet and it won't be a shock to your system. The other option would be, if you have a place that rents wetsuits nearby, get one early this week, so you can get in the pool with it a few times. Most shops rent them for week-long periods.

2009-06-08 8:23 AM
in reply to: #2201431

User image

Regular
wurkit_gurl - 2009-06-08 8:09 AM
I agree, renting a wetsuit the day before a race, without any chance to try it out isn't the best idea. Mid-high 60s, as you said, is slightly uncomfortable, but doable. How long is the swim distance for your race? If it's short, I'd say, just wear 2 swim caps if you have more than one - cheaper than going out and getting a neoprene cap. You could also wear some earplugs to keep the cold water out of your ears, which can make you feel woozy (remember, I had that happen at my race back in April and I HAD a wetsuit). For a pool swim, you probably won't be in the water long enough for it to really bother you. I'd go with double caps (or if you WANT, get or borrow a neoprene one), and some ear plugs. Before the swim, get in and warm up a bit, so you're already wet and it won't be a shock to your system. The other option would be, if you have a place that rents wetsuits nearby, get one early this week, so you can get in the pool with it a few times. Most shops rent them for week-long periods.

It's only 750 yards.  I will get a neoprene cap and ear plugs tonight and try to get to that pool for practice tonight (barring storms) and see how I do.  I will also check this swim shop and see if they rent wetsuits but I don't think they do.  I think following your advise I should be ok, Ill get prepared that way and go from there.  Thanks for the advice.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  

of 29