BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 108

2010-04-23 12:06 PM
in reply to: #2812434

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Subject: RE: brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now!
dhopman - 2010-04-23 9:45 AM
brick94513 - 2010-04-22 11:00 PM Dave, we share a similar story.  I was training for my first marathon, Big Sur International, when I developed repetitive motion injuries: ITBS and Piriformis.  Not only did it end any hope for competing in the marathon, I was unable to run for months.  My whole 2010 season looked to be in peril.  It definately sucks to pull the plug after so my months of hard training.

If all goes well, I'm going to shoot for doing the California International Marathon in December.

That's the one I was registered for last year! Hotel was booked and everything. I wanted to go and just walk it but I knew that would me off even more so I just ate the entry fee and forgot about it. Do you have a goal time? Are you still a full-mary virgin? You should do DK Silicon Valley Marathon with me on Halloween!

Yep, still a marathon virgin.  In my training, I was on pace for a sub 3:30 race before I blew up.  I'm not sure if I would be ready in October, but we should get together for some long runs.

2010-04-23 12:11 PM
in reply to: #2812398

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Meulen - 2010-04-23 9:32 AM

for the new TT bike.  I don't do a whole lot of racing so it would be more beneficial for me to have a powertap in a wheel that is durable enough for everyday riding.  I don't know a lot about high end wheels.  Could I ride on a zipp 404 or 303 every day?  If not I'd rather get the power meter in the crank or on a wheel suitable for every day riding.  I want the power infor more in my training rides than races.  Both would be better, with the crank.  However, it would be less expensive to get it in the hub of an every day wheelset.  The only time I'm on a trainer I get power readouts from the trainer itself and don't need the wheel for power reading.

So, for the MTB.  PowerTap now makes a meter specifically for MTB.  The hub is IS6 disc compatible.  I would have it laced to a DT Swiss XR 400 hoop.  The set up would definately be strong enough for everyday riding.  Plus, if you ever damage the hoop, it would be cheap to have the hoop replaced.

Check it out:

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/store/powertap-mtb-disc-brake-hub-only.html
2010-04-23 12:53 PM
in reply to: #2812484

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2010-04-23 12:11 PM
Meulen - 2010-04-23 9:32 AM

for the new TT bike.  I don't do a whole lot of racing so it would be more beneficial for me to have a powertap in a wheel that is durable enough for everyday riding.  I don't know a lot about high end wheels.  Could I ride on a zipp 404 or 303 every day?  If not I'd rather get the power meter in the crank or on a wheel suitable for every day riding.  I want the power infor more in my training rides than races.  Both would be better, with the crank.  However, it would be less expensive to get it in the hub of an every day wheelset.  The only time I'm on a trainer I get power readouts from the trainer itself and don't need the wheel for power reading.

So, for the MTB.  PowerTap now makes a meter specifically for MTB.  The hub is IS6 disc compatible.  I would have it laced to a DT Swiss XR 400 hoop.  The set up would definately be strong enough for everyday riding.  Plus, if you ever damage the hoop, it would be cheap to have the hoop replaced.

Check it out:

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/store/powertap-mtb-disc-brake-hub-only.html

yup, I used one last season when I borrowed a friends carbon stumpjumper.  He had one. 

I was talking about the zipps on the tt bike though for ever day use.  LOL  Not suer if that was a good idea so I was leaning toward the crankset
2010-04-23 12:55 PM
in reply to: #2770949

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

I swim with a guy who is a former olympic trials swimmer...probably 25+ years former. He still has incredible muscle memory, form, and speed. It's humbling to be in a lane next to him. I don't consider myseld a slow swimmer, but that's exactly what I am swimming with him. Last night we were doing 100's. I'm swimming at probably 75%. He's doing pull with a wheel barrow tire around his ankles (I've tried this, it's way harder than using a pull bouy). Still, he's hitting the wall 5 seconds before me and breathing much lighter than I am.

He always talks to me about high elbow, wrist flex, and such. I found this article which describes it well, and has a mpeg video of what it looks like. I think the video exaggerates it a bit but you'll get an idea.

It doesn't say much about wrist flex but I think it's a key part. If you put your arm in front of you, bend your wrist down (to "plant" your arm at the start of your pull). You'll notice your elbow automatically wants to stay high. It's hard to drop your elbow and flex your wrist at the same time. The wrist flex also creates what feels like a big pocket under your armpit. As you pull your body over your arm, keeping the elbow high, you get the feeling of going over a barrel.

Anyways, thought I'd share since it sounds like some of you are about to start your swim training. I'm constantly working on this, as I have a tendancy to get lazy and drop my elbow on my catch.

2010-04-23 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2812471

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
brick94513 - 2010-04-23 12:06 PM
brick94513 - 2010-04-22 11:00 PM Dave, we share a similar story.  I was training for my first marathon, Big Sur International, when I developed repetitive motion injuries: ITBS and Piriformis.  Not only did it end any hope for competing in the marathon, I was unable to run for months.  My whole 2010 season looked to be in peril.  It definately sucks to pull the plug after so my months of hard training.

If all goes well, I'm going to shoot for doing the California International Marathon in December.

That's the one I was registered for last year! Hotel was booked and everything. I wanted to go and just walk it but I knew that would me off even more so I just ate the entry fee and forgot about it. Do you have a goal time? Are you still a full-mary virgin? You should do DK Silicon Valley Marathon with me on Halloween!

Yep, still a marathon virgin.  In my training, I was on pace for a sub 3:30 race before I blew up.  I'm not sure if I would be ready in October, but we should get together for some long runs.

Absolutely! Hmm, I smell a Boston qualifying time in your future. =)

Edited by dhopman 2010-04-23 1:00 PM
2010-04-23 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2812603

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

Edited by Meulen 2010-04-23 1:01 PM

2010-04-23 1:01 PM
in reply to: #2812603

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
dhopman - 2010-04-23 12:55 PM

I swim with a guy who is a former olympic trials swimmer...probably 25+ years former. He still has incredible muscle memory, form, and speed. It's humbling to be in a lane next to him. I don't consider myseld a slow swimmer, but that's exactly what I am swimming with him. Last night we were doing 100's. I'm swimming at probably 75%. He's doing pull with a wheel barrow tire around his ankles (I've tried this, it's way harder than using a pull bouy). Still, he's hitting the wall 5 seconds before me and breathing much lighter than I am.

He always talks to me about high elbow, wrist flex, and such. I found this article which describes it well, and has a mpeg video of what it looks like. I think the video exaggerates it a bit but you'll get an idea.

It doesn't say much about wrist flex but I think it's a key part. If you put your arm in front of you, bend your wrist down (to "plant" your arm at the start of your pull). You'll notice your elbow automatically wants to stay high. It's hard to drop your elbow and flex your wrist at the same time. The wrist flex also creates what feels like a big pocket under your armpit. As you pull your body over your arm, keeping the elbow high, you get the feeling of going over a barrel.

Anyways, thought I'd share since it sounds like some of you are about to start your swim training. I'm constantly working on this, as I have a tendancy to get lazy and drop my elbow on my catch.

thanks man!!!  I need all the swimming help I can get
2010-04-23 2:10 PM
in reply to: #2812619

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
dhopman - 2010-04-23 11:00 AM

Yeah, that is one of my goals.  Right now, for my age, it's 3:15.  So, maybe I should sandbag for another year and I believe it becomes 3:30! Surprised
2010-04-23 10:16 PM

User image

Regular
Took today as rest day.  Stoped by LBS on way home and picked up some new double sided Shimano PD-M520 pedals for the road bike. They were good price $50.  The old pedals were a %$$#$% to get off.  I had to use a heat gun and heat the cranks to get the pedals to unscrew someone had tightened them WAY to much.  Anyway I got the new ones on and took it around the block, all was good. New pedals are great easy in and out with secure fit.  I like them I think I'll pick up another pair at that price for my MTB. I have to work tomorrow so I'll probably run after work and try and get in another ride Sunday if it dont rain and my legs feel up to it. 
2010-04-23 10:31 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
did some swimmage today and i got freakin sunburned!  my back looks like a lobster rite meow. :<  on the plus side, i did some TI drills and think some learning may have actually occurred. 

picked up a fizik airone tri2 saddle off slowtwitch for $85 this week and it showed up today so i threw it on the bike.  doesnt seem a helluva lot different than my stock saddle, but its a lil lighter.  didnt hurt my a ss QUITE as much as the first ride did Laughing.  did the LTHR test.  i dunno if i did it right, but i was freakin winded and my legs were screamin almost the whole time.  ill do the math and log it as a starting point.  in reference to the seat, do you need to get a fit for front to back adjustment or is that typically just whatevers comfortable?

there is an American Cancer Society relay for life tomorrow and i may try to get out and run for an hour or two in the name of fighting evil! 
2010-04-23 10:51 PM
in reply to: #2813428

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
shmeeg - 2010-04-23 8:31 PM

in reference to the seat, do you need to get a fit for front to back adjustment or is that typically just whatevers comfortable?

Yes, but it depends....

The Fore-Aft Saddle Position

Now we get to what I think is the most important part of fitting a bicycle, the fore-aft position of the saddle. Once you get this right, everything else is easy. This position is determined more by how you intend to use your bike than by anything else. If you look at a typical bike, the saddle is behind the crank center, or bottom bracket. There's a frame tube (the seat tube) running from the cranks to the saddle, and it's at an angle. That angle partly determines the fore-aft position of the saddle relative to the cranks and pedals. That fore-aft position determines how your body is balanced on the bicycle. Your balance determines how comfortable you are, and how efficiently you can pedal the bike.

Stand up straight in front of a mirror and turn to the side. Look at yourself in the mirror. When standing straight your head, hands, seat and feet are all fairly close to being in line with each other. Now bend over at the waist. Notice that not only has your head moved to a position ahead of your feet, but your rear end has moved behind your feet. If this were not the case, you would fall forward. Your seat moves back when you bend at the waist to keep you in balance.

Your torso needs to be leaning forward for two reasons; power output and aerodynamics. With an upright torso, you can't use the gluteus muscles to good effect. Also, you can't effectively pull up on the handlebar from an upright position. An upright torso is also very poor aerodynamically. When cycling on level ground, the majority of your effort goes against wind resistance. The easier it is for your body to move through the air, the less work you'll have to do. With your torso closer to horizontal, you present less frontal surface to the air and don't have to work as hard to maintain a given speed.

Obviously, the most aerodynamically efficient position may not be the most pleasant position to be in for several hours on a cross country tour. So there's a tradeoff. As you move to a more horizontal position, the saddle needs to be positioned further to the rear to maintain your body's balance, just as your rear end moves to the rear as you bend over while standing. It so happens that racers are more inclined to use a horizontal torso position than tourers, and racers are more concerned with having the handlebars further forward to make climbing and sprinting out of the saddle more effective.

If a bicycle had the saddle directly over the cranks, you wouldn't be able to lean your body forward without supporting the weight of your torso with your arms. Because the saddle on a typical bicycle is behind the cranks, your seat is positioned behind your feet and your body can be in balance. Try this test. You'll need a friend to hold the bike up, or set it on a wind trainer. Sit on your bike with your hands on the handlebars and the crank arms horizontal. If you have a drop bar, hold the bar out on the brake hoods. Try taking your hands off the bar without moving your torso. If it's a strain to hold your torso in that same position, that's an indication of the work your arms are doing to hold you up.

For starters, I like to put the saddle in the forward most position that allows the rider to lift his hands off of the handlebar and maintain the torso position without strain. You should not feel like you're about to fall forward when you lift off the handlebar. If it makes no difference to your back muscles whether you have your hands on the bars or not, you know that you aren't using your arms to support your upper body. If you are, your arms and shoulders will surely get tired on a long ride. But this is a starting position. Remember that bicycle fit is a series of compromises.

So what's being compromised? Power. There's a limit to how far you can comfortably reach to the handlebar while seated. If the saddle is well back for balance, the handlebars will need to be back as well. But to get power to the pedals while out of the saddle, it helps to have the handlebars well forward of the cranks. Particularly when climbing out of the saddle, the best position tends to be had with a long forward reach to the bars. You can tell this is so by climbing a hill out of the saddle with your hands as far forward on the brake lever tops as you can hold them, then climbing the same hill with your hands as far to the rear as you can on the bars. Chances are you can climb faster with your hands further forward. So you need to find the best compromise between a comfortable seated position and reach to the handlebar, and a forward handlebar position for those times when you need to stand. Only an inch or two in handlebar placement fore-aft can make a big difference while climbing. That same inch or two in saddle position can mean the difference between a comfortable 50 mile ride and a stiff neck and sore shoulders!

As you move the saddle forward from that balanced position, you'll have more and more weight supported by your arms, but you'll be able to position the handlebars further forward for more power. The track sprinter has the frame built with a rather steep seat tube angle, which positions the saddle further forward from where the tourer would want it. But again, the track sprinter spends very little time in the saddle.

If you can't move your saddle forward enough or backward enough for the fit you want, don't despair. Different saddles position the rails further ahead than others, giving more or less saddle offset. Seatposts are available with the clamps in different positions relative to the centerline of the post.

So, how do YOU want to balance on YOUR bike? Do you want to emphasize speed and acceleration? Do you care mostly about comfort and enjoying the scenery? The answers to these questions determine how you position the saddle, not some computer program or someone's system of charts and graphs. How your best friend fits his bike should have no bearing on what you do even if he has exactly the same body proportions as you. YOU know why you ride a bike. Only YOU know what compromises you are willing to make in order to achieve your purposes on a bicycle.

You may have a bicycle for short fast rides, and another for long tours. Just as the two bikes will have different components so as to be well suited for their purposes, so might the fit be different. The rider hasn't changed. You are still you. But your purpose has changed. The light, fast bike for short rides will likely have a more forward and lower handlebar position than the tourer. And so the saddle may well be further forward too.

As you move the saddle forward or rearward, you are also changing the effective saddle height, relative to the cranks, since the saddle rails are usually not perpendicular to the seat tube. So be prepared to change the seat post extension as you adjust the fore-aft saddle position; lowering the saddle as you move it back to maintain the same leg extension, and raising it as you move the saddle forward.

2010-04-23 10:53 PM
in reply to: #2813410

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
SAWFISH50 - 2010-04-23 8:16 PM Took today as rest day.  Stoped by LBS on way home and picked up some new double sided Shimano PD-M520 pedals for the road bike. They were good price $50.  The old pedals were a %$$#$% to get off.  I had to use a heat gun and heat the cranks to get the pedals to unscrew someone had tightened them WAY to much.  Anyway I got the new ones on and took it around the block, all was good. New pedals are great easy in and out with secure fit.  I like them I think I'll pick up another pair at that price for my MTB. I have to work tomorrow so I'll probably run after work and try and get in another ride Sunday if it dont rain and my legs feel up to it. 

Nice... Glad to see you working outside your running comfort zone and getting on the bike!
2010-04-23 11:09 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
thanks for posting the saddle article.  when i first swapped saddles the fizik was angled so far forward that it felt like i was going to slide off the front of it, so i adjusted it so it was more horizontal. but even after doing that i felt like i had a ton of weight on my arms in the aero bars.  is it normal to feel like that?  i dont see how else you would take the weight off the forearms, but i dont want to go and undo everything i had done at my fitting.
2010-04-24 5:19 AM

User image

Expert
Canada
Sorry about my abscence yesterday...work got in the way!!!Frown  Worked during most of the daylight.  Finally home & tired.  No workout, hopefully today will be better.  Planning to go to spin class this morning.  This is the time, when I phase out spin class & go outside, but it is erratic over the next month or so.  There is frost on ground this morning, but will warm up by midday.  Still haven't took my TT bike for an inaugural ride.  Hopefully this weekend or next week.

Been a lot of chatter going on...nice to see.  Lots of good info, keep it up!

RCool

PS.  thanks for all the comments on my TT bike!

Edited by GoGoGo 2010-04-24 5:21 AM
2010-04-24 5:26 AM
in reply to: #2812768

User image

Expert
Canada

dhopman - 2010-04-23 9:45 AM [

Yeah, that is one of my goals.  Right now, for my age, it's 3:15.  So, maybe I should sandbag for another year and I believe it becomes 3:30! Surprised

I was on the Boston website a few nights ago, seeing how a few of local runners fared. 

Anyway, your age is determined by your age at time of race, so you could qualify  at 39, for 40-44 AG, if you are 40 on race day!

I make the transition to  next AG this year...3:30 ----> 3:40

3:40 ?!?!  HHHmmmmUndecided

Edited by GoGoGo 2010-04-24 5:28 AM
2010-04-24 5:31 AM
in reply to: #2813428

User image

Expert
Canada
shmeeg - 2010-04-24 12:31 AM did some swimmage today and i got freakin sunburned!  my back looks like a lobster rite meow. :<  on the plus side, i did some TI drills and think some learning may have actually occurred. 

picked up a fizik airone tri2 saddle off slowtwitch for $85 this week and it showed up today so i threw it on the bike.  doesnt seem a helluva lot different than my stock saddle, but its a lil lighter.  didnt hurt my a ss QUITE as much as the first ride did Laughing.  did the LTHR test.  i dunno if i did it right, but i was freakin winded and my legs were screamin almost the whole time.  ill do the math and log it as a starting point.  in reference to the seat, do you need to get a fit for front to back adjustment or is that typically just whatevers comfortable?

there is an American Cancer Society relay for life tomorrow and i may try to get out and run for an hour or two in the name of fighting evil! 

I takes a while for your a$$ to toughen up!!!!  Especially early season.  This gets better.

I assume you have a good pair of bike shorts??  Some chamois butt'r might help as well.

Also, as per Tim's article on saddles, they are only supposed to be partially supportive.  On a Tri bike, there is some support on elbows.

Edited by GoGoGo 2010-04-24 5:33 AM

2010-04-24 5:35 AM
in reply to: #2812064

User image

Expert
Canada
SAWFISH50 - 2010-04-23 11:31 AM Well I love to run but reality is I need to get my bike back up and learn to swim start next month.. 

My speed is increasing in the run slowly but surly. I have been really focused on building Volume for a big base at much slower paces for injury prevention but in the past week I have started pushing ALOT harder in the last mile of all my runs for some speed play. I plan to do some 5k's or just 5K time trilals couple times a month to get my speed up. I now see hope in my run again as it was Pre Asthma and lay off..

My stride at training paces is Chi style.. Slight lean forward at the ankles alowing a natural falling forward to pull you forward..I just try and focus on quick turnover and peeling my feet off the ground and running Light quick and easy.. I know when I speed up It changes to some extent but I need a Video of me running at faster paces to see the differences and figure if I need to work on form at higher speed. 

See look how good my form is LOL!! 

The sign of a runner...the Star trek communicator watch on wrist!!!!   Beam me up Scotty! 
2010-04-24 5:38 AM
in reply to: #2812192

User image

Expert
Canada
Meulen - 2010-04-23 12:19 PM I've been thinking more about my bike situation.  After training with power over the winter I really see the benefits.  I'm thinking maybe, instead of waiting for the P4, it may be worth getting the P3 Ultegra and a quarq equipped FSA SLK light carbon crankset to add watts read out on my garmin.  Maybe even more so than wheels.  I can always get them next season as I progress in the sport.  This way I can get it set up in a few weeks as opposed to waiting for a P4 till August.

any opinions?

DO IT!!!! 
2010-04-24 5:44 AM
in reply to: #2811173

User image

Expert
Canada
dhopman - 2010-04-22 8:45 PM
GoGoGo - 2010-04-21 4:57 AM
dhopman - 2010-04-20 6:27 PM It looks like I'm a little late trying to join a group...but "closed for now" left a little room for negotiation I hope. =)

I'm Dave - 28 years old in California (Silicon Valley), did a couple triathlons in 2006 then took a break from the sport while getting my masters. Now I'm getting back into it, training for my first HIM. I come from a swimming/water polo background so I have some experience to offer to the group in that respect. I'm mostly looking for motivation and training ideas from the group.

If the group remains closed, I understand but if there's room to squeeze one more in, let me know! Thanks all.

I agree with Tim, we can take another.

Let us know a bit more about you.  Previous training?  Previous races?  Any running/cycling or just a swimming guru?

R

I was wading through the old pages and somehow missed this one. Sorry!

Some more background: I'm a fish. Started swimming when I was 4 in a rec league, picked up water polo just before high school. Once I started doing year-round swimming/polo I started to get hungry for the competition. I played at a pretty high level through high school on a club team that did well at junior olympics (took 4th our first year playing together). I went to Cal Poly (SLO) for college, played a few years there on the club team but between work and school, I couldn't stay competitive in the pool anymore.

After college, I started doing OWSwims - Alcatraz a couple times and some lake swimming. Did a duathlon (swim/run), then got invited to do the swim leg of a tri relay. I did two tris that same season - a sprint and an Oly. My oly was terrible, but I loved it. I did a number of running events (5/10/12k's, and a half mary), learned to enjoy running for the first time ever. Then came the MBA and I didn't do anything for 3 years (god that sounds bad).

Last year I focused 100% on running. I did 3 half-marys and set a new PR (1:41). I ramped up for my first marathon but ended up with this knee injury (PFPS) and couldn't heal in time. It was a huge set back after 6 months of training, and I'm still battling it. Since then, I've started taking cycling much more seriously, and I'm finally back in the pool which feels great. I've probably cut 15lbs or more since finishing my MBA. I stepped on the scale a few weeks ago while getting an MRI on my knee and I'm at 172lbs (I'm 6'4").

For this year, I have two major goals. First, is completing my first HIM. I'm doing it with 3 others from my MBA program and we're all super competitive type A's. I'd be lying if I said I'd be happy with just finishing...I want to beat my buddies and have a respectable race. I'm not sure if sub-6 hours if reasonable but that's the benchmark in my head right now. The second big goal is completing my first marathon on 10/31. This is less of a competition...staying healthy is going to be huge for me. If I am healthy, I know I can go under 4 hours.

Anyways...that's more background on me. I'm super excited for this race season!!! Looking forward to sharing the journey with you all.

-Dave

So you have some running experience as well...cool

6'4", 172?!  OK, now I feel fat...NO, I'll change that, BIG bones!!! Wink

I got down to about 195, a few years ago, when I ran a lot.  I was at 9% body fat then.  Not sure if I'll ever see that again!
2010-04-24 5:47 AM
in reply to: #2811537

User image

Expert
Canada
brick94513 - 2010-04-23 12:46 AM
SAWFISH50 - 2010-04-22 8:10 PM Well I Must apoligise to my Bikes for neglecting them while I ran my a$$ off all winter. I took my MTB out for a 1/2 trail 1/2 road ride around the hood and it paid me back for all the neglect by kicking my a$$. At about mile 10 of the ride I had to stop where a trail crosses a street when I steped out of the peddle my calf cramped and I almost fell over and ate $hit right there. I pushed down on my knee to force the foot back to the ground and the cramp stoped so I continued on.  As I got back to the house I saw I was at 13 miles. I was gonna make a couple of extra laps around the block to complete 15 miles but My A$$ couldn't take another second fo seat time.  So I know I need to get my $h!t together and put the bike back into my weekly schedule with some Bricks as well. Damn Im gonna be busy... My bike sucks and I have to learn to swim next month when the pool opens back up... What would life be without new goals to keep us challenged???

Funny!  "Triathletes... experts at all, masters of none!"  Everytime I neglect a discipline for a while, I'm reminded of this quote.

Or as one the other site quote...Why suck at 1 sport when I can suck at all 3!!!! 
2010-04-24 8:55 AM
in reply to: #2813447

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
shmeeg - 2010-04-23 9:09 PM thanks for posting the saddle article.  when i first swapped saddles the fizik was angled so far forward that it felt like i was going to slide off the front of it, so i adjusted it so it was more horizontal. but even after doing that i felt like i had a ton of weight on my arms in the aero bars.  is it normal to feel like that?  i dont see how else you would take the weight off the forearms, but i dont want to go and undo everything i had done at my fitting.

I'm not a bike fit guru by any means, especially for the TT bike.  When I had my bike though, the guy told me positioning was related to your flexibility.  The greater the flexibility in the hip flexors, the more extreme we could move the aero position.  Given this, the higher the saddle height becomes over the stem, the more weight you are going to place on your forearms.

Did you go through a complete fit which included knee tracking and cleat adjustment?  Or, was it just a quick, ok pedal the bike, looks good adjustment by a salesman?  When I got fit, the process took about three hours.

2010-04-24 8:58 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
I thought this was interesting....  I haven't done this drill, but makes sense.  I don't think I swim very straight!

How frequently you sight depends on how straight you swim. The next time you're at the pool, push off from the wall with your eyes shut and see how many strokes you take before running into one of the lane lines. Do this several times and you'll likely find a consistent number. If you hit the lane lines every 5th or 6th stroke then sight every 5th or 6th stroke. Remember, every stroke taken beyond your "number" without sighting is a stroke taking you off course - one you'll have to retake to get back on track.

I do play with this drill while swimming laps:

Sighting is a skill you can hone during your pool workouts. As you warm-up or cool-down, pick an object on the wall at each end of the pool: an exit sign, a window, a life ring, a fire extinguisher, etc. Raise your head slightly without disrupting your horizontal body axis, locate the object and return to your breathing rotation.
2010-04-24 9:52 AM
in reply to: #2813672

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
brick94513 - 2010-04-24 8:58 AM I do play with this drill while swimming laps:

Sighting is a skill you can hone during your pool workouts. As you warm-up or cool-down, pick an object on the wall at each end of the pool: an exit sign, a window, a life ring, a fire extinguisher, etc. Raise your head slightly without disrupting your horizontal body axis, locate the object and return to your breathing rotation.

I do the same drill every now and then...but I feel like it's not practical unless you're leading your wave start. Otherwise, I feel like you'd just be lifting your head to make sure you're following the crowd...not sure if you'd be able to see the bouys. I guess I'll find out next weekend at Wildflower. With no time to do an OWS between now and race day, I'll have to try the eyes-closed-count-your-strokes-until-you-hit-something drill at the pool.

I'm also going to do a pool swim in my wetsuit next week, and practice getting it off so I feel better about T1.

My knee held up last night for a 5.5m run but it was sore for a few hours afterwards. I might need to stay off it until race day unfortunately.

Oh...one last thought: the weather forecast says it may rain on race day! I know it's too early to believe the forecast but if it does rain, I wonder if they do anything to make the bike course safer? I can't believe they would cancel the race. Has anyone ever done a tri in the rain?

Edited by dhopman 2010-04-24 9:53 AM
2010-04-24 10:05 AM
in reply to: #2813720

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
dhopman - 2010-04-24 7:52 AM

I do the same drill every now and then...but I feel like it's not practical unless you're leading your wave start. Otherwise, I feel like you'd just be lifting your head to make sure you're following the crowd...not sure if you'd be able to see the bouys. I guess I'll find out next weekend at Wildflower. With no time to do an OWS between now and race day, I'll have to try the eyes-closed-count-your-strokes-until-you-hit-something drill at the pool.

I've had pretty good "luck" with seeing the buoys and I'm never in front on the swim! Embarassed.  I also try to find landmarks above the buoys when practical.

Didn't you do the Alcatraz swim?  How did you sight during that race?
2010-04-24 10:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Took yesterday off to let the body rest.  Out this AM for a 3.8 mile run.  Managed to hold a steady pace through out / splits were consistent on way back vs. way in.  Training this week will be a challenge as I've got some travel planned.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  

of 108