BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 70

2011-03-12 3:09 PM
in reply to: #3259026

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!

I just had a CRAZY thought...thought I would share and see what ya'll think...

So, we went to the Tough Cookie Du last week where they had a kids event and we were impressed with the number of them who actually participated. While we (hubby and myself) were there we talked about bringing our 6 1/2 yr old to an event and teaching her how to compete....GREAT idea except, there are no events locally (within 60 miles) that offer any events for kiddo's and their parents.

Here's the crazy idea...A duathlon or relay where the parent and the child each have a part to play in the event. A 1 mile run for the kiddo followed by a 5K for the parent and then a 1K for the kiddo....Or something to that extent. Here we are a NATION of obese people (especially kids under 12!) and very few events for them to work at completing to teach them about a healthier way of living.  

I wonder how hard it would be to put something like that together? Any ideas or suggestions? I LOVE to organize stuff so this seems like it would be fun to find a "cause" and then promote the hell out of it....

2011-03-12 3:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
That sounds like an amazing idea! I wish there were events like that when I was younger. I love seeing all the young kids running and competing in things that involve a healthy lifestyle.
2011-03-12 3:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Oh, and guess who pr'd her 5k time by almost 4 minutes? This girl! 
2011-03-12 4:49 PM
in reply to: #3395037

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Congratulations!!!
2011-03-12 4:55 PM
in reply to: #3395098

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Jordie is da MAN!!!!
2011-03-12 4:56 PM
in reply to: #3395104

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Tammy, that sounds like a fabulous idea!  I know the Jingle Bun Run in Dec. has a kids run attached to it.  There may be more out there, they just don't advertise that much??

2011-03-12 6:04 PM
in reply to: #3388665

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI

I think we should all sing our theme song. This song is in my head again. I hope it gets in yours too!

Sulcus - 2011-03-08 1:28 PM
jcarmody - 2011-03-08 12:06 PM

why is it that this had me seeing visions of the Laverne and Shirley opening?  Even the lyrics seem to kind of fit...

One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight.
Sclemeel, schlemazel, hasenfeffer incorporated.
We're gonna do it!
Give us any chance, we'll take it.
Give us any rule, we'll break it.
We're gonna make our dreams come true.
Doin' it our way.
Nothin's gonna turn us back now,
Straight ahead and on the track now.
We're gonna make our dreams come true,
Doin' it our way.
There is nothing we won't try,
Never heard the word impossible.
This time there's no stopping us.
We're gonna do it.
On your mark, get set, and go now,
Got a dream and we just know now,
We're gonna make our dream come true.
And we'll do it our way, yes our way.
Make all our dreams come true,
And do it our way, yes our way,
Make all our dreams come true
For me and you.

2011-03-12 7:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI

Here's a before and after. The first pic is from 8/09.

And by after I don't mean I'm at my goal weight. I'm just different looking.

Edited by jordiebrigs 2011-03-12 7:55 PM

(JordanBeforeandAfter.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
JordanBeforeandAfter.jpg (27KB - 14 downloads)
2011-03-12 8:54 PM
in reply to: #3395037

User image

Veteran

Great work Jordan!! It's always nice to do better than we did before - especially when we have been working hard to make progress!!

2011-03-12 9:04 PM
in reply to: #3395105

User image

Veteran

Yeah, I'm going to check around for the local races but when I looked at the regular sites (active, runtheplanet etc) there are very few in this area. The bigger cities have them of course, but I don't see why we should have to drive an hour or more for our children to participate.

Plus, there are some agencies in the area that could use the fundraising money like Boys and Girls club or some agencies that do good work for almost ZERO recognition like the soup kitchen etc... I'm going to talk to my girlfriend (moved to freakin FLORIDA) who is a marketing GENIUS and see if she can give me some pointers on marketing the idea to agencies to get it going. What a good way I think to set an example for my own kids....

2011-03-12 9:25 PM
in reply to: #3395104

User image

Extreme Veteran

Tammy, I LOOOVE your idea. I'd sign up in a heartbeat. Just the other day I met with the local coordinator for Girls on the Run, a running group for girls that trains them for a 5K while also doing workshops on self-esteem, healthy attitudes towards eating and your body, team building and community service. If the school administrators approve, I'll be coaching the program at my daughter's school this fall. I can hardly wait!

Jordie, congrats on the new PR! You are really coming along! I also set a PR today for 10K, although I can't really remember what my previous one was, it's been so long. The real news is, I placed 3rd in my age-group! And this time, it's a real chip-timed race with more than just a few dozen participants. I even got a cheesy little medal! I'll treasure it always. 

Oh, and my neck is MUCH better; the doc gave me a shot in the rump (steroidal anti-inflammatory), a couple of muscle relaxers, and orders to see my massage therapist (oh, OK, if you insist...). If that doesn't work, the next step will be PT. He thinks it's an out-of-place bone, not a disc problem, so that should do the trick. I'll be testing it out on a long bike ride tomorrow.

Hope you are all having a Magnificent weekend!

turtle

2011-03-12 9:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Tammy - glad to see your post, I was just coming in to check on you and your neck. Glad it's feeling some better!
2011-03-13 8:41 AM
in reply to: #3395302

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Jordan, amazing difference in a year!  You just look so much healthier AND happier!! 

CONGRATULATIONS to our 3 MMMers that raced this weekend!! 

• Jordan set a PR by over 4 minutes (for a 5K... awesome!).
  • Tammy tstl set a PR on her 10K (Running of the Nuns, can you picture it??) and took 3rd AG!!
  • Wesley smoked a duathlon and took 1st Clydesdale!!
2011-03-13 9:35 AM

User image

Expert

Tammy, that's a GREAT idea-- I bet it'll go over like wildfire once you suggest it!

Jordie, LOVE the pics-- you GO, girl!

I'm delighted by (and envious of) all the speedsters we've got in our group-- you're awesome, and I hope to be able to be even vaguely in your vicinity when I get back to running on land regularly!

Will be leaving tomorrow for vacation right after my gait analysis-- I'll have a computer with me, so will check in as regularly as I can... I've already mapped out the route to the closest running store to where we're staying: bring on the new shoes, baby!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, everyone!

2011-03-13 5:11 PM
in reply to: #3395504

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Wowzers a ton of activity on here....I've been locked up awhile in the basement - hungry and naked....I know, I know - the damaging mental images..haha LMAO.  Hey, Jordan - I love the before and after...what an awesome difference - you should be so so proud of yourself - you go HOTTIE!!!  Hope Alex has a good vacation with her sister and your DR appt goes good!  Tammy I like your idea and if you want to talk to a race/event organizer I know someone you could chat with about events. (He's also and Ironman) AND for all you off work during spring break...YOU SUCK!!!!  Hey, the weekend's almost over..hope everyone had a good one...back to the grind tomorrow!!  
2011-03-13 10:48 PM
in reply to: #3395225

User image

Extreme Veteran

Jordie, fantastic before and 'now' pics! You look AMAZING- like the athlete you have become! You are a real inspiration, I hope you share your success with as many people as possible!

I am also heading off for vacation this week- leaving Tuesday with the daughter for a few days in SFO. Not sure how I'll get any training in, but I'll try, between trips to Ghirardelli square and Alcatraz! 

2011-03-14 5:15 PM
in reply to: #3396235

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Janet inspired me with an idea she got from a guy that was in a former mentor group with us, and is now a mentor himself...

The idea is to do 3 full tri simulations, using the distances of an upcoming tri that you have.  You can substitute a pool swim for the OWS.

1.  Do all three events over the course of a weekend (or in 2 days).

2.  Do all three events in one day, separated by as much or little time as you please.

3.  Do all three events in order with transitions , a true race simulation.

Let me know if there is any interest in doing this!  Obviously you would want to do this BEFORE your race, and not RIGHT before!  I would have a hard time because my pool is a 30 minute drive away, so I wouldn't be able to do the 3rd one until I actually could do an OWS.  Plus I would have to scope out a bike and run route because I don't do those at the lake, but it could be done!

2011-03-14 9:07 PM
in reply to: #3397601

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
hildekq - 2011-03-14 6:15 PM

Janet inspired me with an idea she got from a guy that was in a former mentor group with us, and is now a mentor himself...

The idea is to do 3 full tri simulations, using the distances of an upcoming tri that you have.  You can substitute a pool swim for the OWS.

1.  Do all three events over the course of a weekend (or in 2 days).

2.  Do all three events in one day, separated by as much or little time as you please.

3.  Do all three events in order with transitions , a true race simulation.

Let me know if there is any interest in doing this!  Obviously you would want to do this BEFORE your race, and not RIGHT before!  I would have a hard time because my pool is a 30 minute drive away, so I wouldn't be able to do the 3rd one until I actually could do an OWS.  Plus I would have to scope out a bike and run route because I don't do those at the lake, but it could be done!

Sounds like a good challenge and goal.  I'd wanna wait till spring so I could go outside for all but the swim.  I'm game!  I need all the practice I can get before the MMM meet-up!!!  hehe....Bring it ladies!

2011-03-15 6:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI

I guess it goes without saying, that I'm in.   Do we want to set actual dates for each step, or just go when we are ready and report the results in the forum?

2011-03-15 7:55 AM
in reply to: #3398133

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
I think we need to leave this one open-ended since we still have folks dealing with WINTER (I believe it has become a 4-letter word!).  I don't exactly see this as a challenge since we'll probably be doing different distances and such, but more as a training tool... especially helpful for practicing transitions before race day and to know that you CAN complete the distances. 
2011-03-15 12:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI

That sounds like a really great idea. I'm in for the challenge. 
I still have to do my bike time trial for the other challenge. I didn't forget! I think I can do it soon since the snow it practically melted and the temp is supposed to be in the 50's by the end of the week. Can't wait!

2011-03-15 3:19 PM

User image

Veteran

Hilde - I think it's a GREAT idea!!  I'm game.....

2011-03-15 7:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
I'm dancin' the happy dance tonight.  Just got off the phone with my new swim coach....she sounds very well qualified and cool.  The first thing I asked her was if she could work miracles...haha...she laughed and we went from there.  So, Thursday morning at 5:00 she is gunna destroy me!!!  I can't wait - I may get faster yet!!
2011-03-15 8:06 PM

User image

Veteran

Yeah! on the swim coach Wilson - you're going to be on fire!

Hilde -I think your new idea for a training technique of doing your Tri distance for each leg sounds like a great idea

When I'm done with the bodybuilding competition on SUNDAY (WOOT!) and IF the snow EVER melts here I'll get my time trials done for the other little competition and work on finding my lungs and B/R legs again! I'm down to the final days and finally starting to feel ready Sorry I've been kind of MIA over here - just trying to stay focused

2011-03-15 9:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland

School is eating my brain!!!!  Spring break is next week, and while I wont be able to get any swimming in (pool is on campus, and it's closed for the break), I'm hoping weather will be nice so I can do some biking, maybe on the trail near my house.  Still holding off on running, since the knee is tempermental, and will be fine all day, and then hurt at night.  Annoying.  But, it's hurting less and less, even when it does, so I'm hopeful I'm on the downhill slope of this stupid problem. 

Also...inhalers work!  Who knew???  So psyched about my swim this am.  I did much better with this workout than I did the last time I did this one.  I was still out of breath after 25m, but my recovery was much faster, and I got my breath back faster than before.  Now I just have to remember to take the inhaler 30 minutes before I workout.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  

of 70