BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-06-02 2:05 PM
in reply to: #3528971

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE!

SANDRA again -

I forgot the gel-in-running-shoe part.

Have you discovered energy gels yet? There are a bunch of manufactuers (Hammer Gel, Power Gel, Carb Boom!, Gu, Clif Shot, AccelGel, and others) each with a bunch of flavors, and these are a great way to keep your energy stores topped up. Each packet has about 22-28g of carbohydrate, and as long as you can handle the taste and consistency (many find these to be an "acquired" taste and texture) they work really well. Any running store or bike shop will have a selection, and most decent general sporting goods stores carry them. So do health food stores, and even some pharmacies.

ANYHOW, for olympic-distance and beyond I will have one in one of my running shoes, and when I hit T2 I either glom it down right there or stick it in a pocket of my tri shorts for use somewhere along the run. They work best -- and are most palatable-- when followed immediately by water.

Funny story? Twice I have reead of a pro triathlete who has felt their running shoe being uncomfortable -- sort of lumpy -- during the run, and only when the discomfort forced them to stop and check did they discover that they had being running x miles with a gel inside the shoe. So, we mere mortals aren't the only ones who can make silly mistkes during a race -- or go back and back and back and back to our transition spot to check that everything is just right so that we DON'T make a silly mistake!

2011-06-02 8:43 PM
in reply to: #3528671

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Steve,

Thanks for the tips.  I have never tried #1.  I'll give it a shot.  One thing that I do on some of my longer bike rides is vary my riding position.  I like to ride 18 min. aero, then 1 min. standup, then 1 min. situp, then, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat......  Seems to help my back out a lot when I get off the bike.  Also allows me to go longer in the aero position for those longer rides.  Also simple to remember (20+20+20=1 hr.)

Regarding #2.  Will give that a shot as well.  I have never purposely varied my stride length in a race (or training).  My guess is that my stride length naturally gets longer if I'm running faster.  Different subject but, I have tried to incorporate a forward lean and run more on my toes in some training sessions and that didn't work out at all.  Just seems to cause more stress on the calf's which is a problem for me.  Guess I'll always be a mid-foot striker.

Like you, I have a very difficult time judging my run pace off the bike.  No matter how fast I run it always feels slow after transitioning from the bike.  How do you measure your pace on the run (via a GPS watch)?  In a race situation I don't think my nog'en is capable of doing the math (even if the race distance markers are correct).  My Garmie has the capability to do this but I don't really focus in on it.  Is this something that you focus on during your races?

stevebradley - 2011-06-02 8:53 AM ------------------------------------------------- RUNNING OFF THE BIKE -----------------------------------------------  (1) As you are in the final mile or so of the bike, try a couple of different pedalling techniques. First, pop it into big ring and one of the smaller gears, and get out of the saddle and grind for ahout ten seconds. Then sit back down and go the opposite - little ring in front, and one of the bigger cogs in back. this ewill put you into a fast spin, and let your legs work fast for about 15 seconds. Repeat those two different gearings/leg-speed combinations, and allow yourself to feel that after xx miles on the bike, your legs are doing something different - which is almost certainly closet to what they will be doing on the run. (2) For the first minute or two or three of the run, stay well within your pervceived limits. This will mean deliberately slowing it down some, and more importantly, keeping your stride length short and compact. You can almost think "shuffle", is how low your legs will enjoy it the most. If done correctly, it will make you feel almost silly -- definitely not "running pretty". But that's the next step - after a few minutes of the low stride thing, transition to your sense of what "running pretty" might feel like. Do that for about 20-30 seconds....and then settle into what is your normal running gait. You should be ready to run natuirally at that point. Personal notes: For the first one, the big trick is remembering. As much as I preach this, I forget to do it about 40% of the time, I would guess. For experienced people it is not necessary for sprints, and maybe some olys, but is highly beneficial for HIM and IM. For people newer to triathlon, it is well worth doing for the first dozen or so races, regardless of distance. Another thought about that is that you may feel that you are losing some speed on the bike, but even though that might be true, it will pat itself back as you have a better run -- both in terms of time and comfort! About the second one, even if you feel that you are going slower than you want when you alter your stride pattern as you set out, chances are very good that you are running as fast or even faster than you think you are -- such as the boosting effects of adrenaline in your veins and people around you. It literally never ceases to amaze me that I feel I'm going at about a 5:00/km pace in a race, and then hit the first km marker at 4:27 or so. I have worked at starting conservatively....but that fast-feet running style has actually contributed to decent speed. Win-win! Finally, as with everything else --- try this stuff first in your training! Both are very easy to expereiment with, and for the bi,me ideas you can do them anywhere at any timein a ride. Just go for a radical shift in your gearing, and allow you body to do what it needs to do in orderto work with the gearing. For triathletes, it is very useful to shift lots, as each shifting requires some change in your pedaling mechanics which will help prevent your legs from getting stagnant, doing the same thing over and over and over for xx miles -- and sledom is that "same thing" something that will set your legs up for a decent run. Qusetions, anyone?

2011-06-02 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3528675

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

So it seems everybody has a Tri poo story that doesn't have anything to do with their children in their infant years.  So here is mine.  I voluteered at the 70.3 World Champs in Clearwater last year.  I worked the finish line taking off the timing chips (straps).  There was this one lady who was pretty darn fast (because she came in early in the race) who was hurting in a bad way and let me tell you it was nasty.  I felt really sorry for her.  Thank goodness she went directly to the med tent cause I think I would have had a difficult time taking that one off.

Other than that, it was a great experience.  Got to rub elbows with most of the "who's, who's" in the professional triathlon world. 

manfarr1974 - 2011-06-02 8:56 AM

kickitinok - 2011-06-01 7:55 PM Forgot!!! Saw a guy who'd pooped his pants during the run. Couldn't believe it.It wasn't a bad poop, just a baseball sized spot on the back of his shorts, but still. EW. Dontcha call it once you've soiled yourself?

UGHHHH SO GROSS!!

Just putting it out there.  If I poop my pants, I am calling it.  Just saying.

I saw pictures from IMAZ last year of a guy that did that (not sure how I got to the pictures?) but anyway, it was NASTY.  Like, the entire back of his legs were covered in poo.  There was a picture of him running and the faces on the people near him were priceless.  AND the kicker was he was standing around after the race talking to people!!   WHAT???

He did, however, qualify for Kona.   I just don't want it that badly.

Mandy

2011-06-02 9:16 PM
in reply to: #3529524

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Steve,

"Acquired Taste".  You got that right.  I think I've tried just about every flavor Gu and Power Gel there are and I have a difficult time with them.  Particularily at a race distance (Olympic) that I go hard in.  About the only thing I can stomach with calories is sports drink.  On the longer distance steady state stuff I really like Clif Bars.

stevebradley - 2011-06-02 3:05 PM SANDRA again - (Hammer Gel, Power Gel, Carb Boom!, Gu, Clif Shot, AccelGel, and others) each with a bunch of flavors, and these are a great way to keep your energy stores topped up. Each packet has about 22-28g of carbohydrate, and as long as you can handle the taste and consistency (many find these to be an "acquired" taste and texture) they work really well.

2011-06-03 6:47 AM
in reply to: #3530075

User image

Champion

JEFF -

With those final-mile-mix-it-ups on the bike, the one that works best for me is the out-of-saddle grinds. I just get a real sense of stretching everything out that actually makes me look more forward to the run. But really -- any of those alternative movements that engage and activate different muscles is useful.

I like to think that all the shifting I do to ride at a consistently high cadence helps, too. It's kind of a fun exercise to ride on a rolling route and keep a goal of, say, 95 revolutions a minute. This means you have to keep shifting, but what strikes me is that even within the confines of 95, what the muscles have to do with one gearing is a fair bit different form what they do in another gearing -- even when rpm is the same.

But even though those subtle muscle shifts probably help in advance of the run in a race (or brick), they don't seem to have near a smuch positive impact as the larger-scale ones that come from doing something radically different in the final mile, such as a couple of out-of-saddle efforts alternating with fast spins. I just wish I could remember to do it more often!

For the running part, it helps me to have a high cadence anyhow. I didn't always run with a high cadence, so the idea and execution of doing what I suggested was a bit more forced -- and definitely felt odd. Once I learned how to do it, it then became a definite necessity.....and then when I learned to run always with high cadence, it's become kind of second-nature. I guess back when, I would come out of T2 at a cadence of maybe 87-89, and then as my legs loosened up I would drift down to 86/87. Now I come out at 88/89, and just feather it up to 90/91 my the quarter- or half-mile point. I guess it's like doing something quick-motion to start with, and then refining it and making it an even quicker motion? Something like that!

2011-06-03 7:07 AM
in reply to: #3530075

User image

Champion

JEFF again -

I'm lucky, I guess, that I can handle most of the gels. I may not exactly love them, but I can stomach most. I have a strong preference for the thinner ones, but few area s thin as I like them. EFS makes a "Liquid Shot" that is very thin, and that's a consistency I can handle forever. I the old days there was Lava Gel, and not only was that delectably thin, but also had some fabulously mild flavors - mango, peach, and lemon, and none of them with any "bite". The best, was Lava's Kona Mocha, which was very low in the sweetness factor and so worked wonderfully as a switch-up from a couple of hours of the sweeter ones. But Lava was in Hawaii, and distribution was tough, and I think the guy running it was not the best businessamn around. he made stupendous gels, but just couldn't market them evffectively. I think he has attempted a comeback....but I haven't seen his product anywhere for years. Alas.

But I digress!

If you like chocolate things, try the new formula chocolate Clif Shot. It comes in a shiny-foil brown-and-silver package and has "NEW formula" written on it, and to my taste buds seems to be fondue-quality --- really true-chocately taste! Close behind it is AccelGel chocolate, and the story there is that Cadbury bought out the gel division on Accelerade a few years ago, and so when they retooled the gels they brought their expereicne with making chocolate to bear on that gel. It too is clsoe to fondue-quality! The only drawback to AccelGel is the lower carbohydrate level that is used so as to satisfy their "patented" 4:1 carb:protein ratio. So, in the process of having 4 or 5g of protein per gel. they have only 16 or 20g of carbs, as opposed to most gels that have about 25g. that seems significant to me, although for longer stuff the inclusion of protein level is useful. The "teaser" here, though, is that AccelGel flavors generally suit me very well, AND it is more thin than most.

PowerGels -- lovingly loose, but strong flavors that "bite".
Gu -- flavors okay, but too thick -- need to be almost choked down!
Hammer -- Tropical is really nice (pineappley is always a welcome taste)
CarbBoom! -- Two years ago they added some new flavors, with Cranberry-Grapefruit being out-of-this-world. And then they hid in a hole last year and retooled, I think, and have now returned without their new flavors from two years ago. Wahhhh! Good, loose consistency, though.

As with you, I can handle any sports drink, and on course on a hot day when I'm suffering I'm not at all choosy; they could serve panther pee with a touch of sugar added, and I'd gulp it with glee. I know all the raps on Gatorade, but in a race I'm just happy to have whatever is in G-ade that makes me feel better!

2011-06-03 7:22 AM
in reply to: #3530035

User image

Champion

JEFF once more -

I don't have a Garmin, so for me it's just perceived until I get to the first bonafide marker and I can check it against my watch. Of course, the drawback there is that there's no guarnatee that first marker will be accurate, but I guess they're mostly okay within about 20 yards either way, and that's worth only a few seconds overall, so......

Nine times out of ten my actual pace is faster than I think it is in the first km out of T2, and about half of those times it's faster than I actually want it to be. I can never be sure if the fact I'm breathing heavily is because I have worked hard on the bike, or if I am running a faster pace than I should. When it's the latter, as confirmed by the first marker, i then go into a low-grade panic mode wherein I stress that I have started the process towards "blowing up" a few miles further along. Brain, be still!

At this point we could probably diverge into a conversation about why I never used my HRM during a race. The short of that is that, for me, i would just rather trust how I am feeling on any given day, as opposed to keeping within set hart rate zones. My trining told me that one day's 150, say, was very different from another day's 150, maeaning that some days OI felt great running at 145, other times I felt crappy. I just never wanted to hold myself back at a given number on my NRM, when on that day I was capable of going harder for longer.

So, I use mostly perceived effort, tempered only by hat I see at the first mile marker on the run. I will then make an adjustment or two, depending, but that's it -- subsequent mile markers just find me back to what I feel is the most I can put out at that time. Does that make sense?

2011-06-03 7:45 AM
in reply to: #3530357

User image

Champion

JEFF, last time -

All that said, I'm not one for going to the absolute wall to try to win something. In fact, that is probably soemthing I could stand to work on, with case-in-point being......

At Columbia '10 I came back into T2 just as one david Adams was heading out on the run. He had won the a.g. the previous year, and I knew from doing my homework that I was probably a better running than he is. So, he started off with about a 90-second lead on me, and at about the half-mile mark I could see him ahead of me by maybe 60 yards. That gave me about 5.5 miles to catch him, and I set into that goal. Columbia is a wicked course, but I felt okay that day and was running well (enough), and felt fairly confident that in time I would reel him in. But the laf-miles clicked by, and while I was closing the gap....it wasn't happening as decisively as I hoped (thought?) it might. Mile 4 turned into mile 5, and the gap was still closing, but its rate was too leisurely! And yet, I wasn't prepared to "bury" myself at that point; I just wasn't sure I had it in me. Another half-mile and the finish line could be seen across the lake, and I started to realize that at the rate we had both been going.....I was going to run out of time before the finish. So, I cranked it up an iota or two, but that was a hurtin' thing and I didn't think I could hold that until the end. the game then became "surges" --- push hard for 10-15 seconds, then settle back.

The end result of all this was that he finished three seconds ahead of me, and that just proved to me that I am unwilling or unable to go way outside myself to win something like that. The game really was mine to win, as I was the stalker and he was the unwitting stalkee, and I had a lot of time in which to do it.....but couldn't pull it off. I think I'm comfortable that i did the best I could on that given day....but there are the nagging doubts nevertheless. I guess ghe worst that could've happened is that I would've ended up curled up in the fetal position 20 yards from the finish line, and how bad could that really be?

But I started this story by thibnking about heart rate, and how useless I think it would've been for me at this race -- and many others, i guess. I mean, what do I do with that info? I was going as hard as I thought it was safe to do so, and I'm sure, anyhow, that I was working my way through my more uncomfortable zones. But had I seen a lower heart rate reading....could I really have cranked it up a few more beats on that day? I really don't think so. Tricky topic.

The weird twist of fate, sort of, is that he won Grand Masters for that race, meaning i was declared winner of M60-64. So, I have this lovely curved engraved glass plaque to that effect.....but it is mostly bitter because in my heart I know he was the guy who won M60-64, not me. And it is only cold comfort that in September, at another race run by the same group, I won Grand Masters, and that some other guy got the award for winning the a.g. In short, I REALLY dislike those Masters and Grand masters categories, and just wish that everything was good old 5-year age groups.

Finally, I haven't forgotten that I owe you something on goal-setting. I hope to knock that off this weekend!

2011-06-03 8:19 AM
in reply to: #3435045

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX

We set two records yesterday: 1) a record high of 100 beat the previous record of 97, and 2) it's the earliest that its hit 100 degrees in any given year since 1902.  We've had less than 1" of rain since February and our pool temp is already above 90 degrees.  I think it's going to be a long hot summer.

DENISE, good luck at your Oly on Sunday. Wishing I was up your way!

Anyone else racing?

LISA

Edited by lufferly 2011-06-03 8:19 AM
2011-06-03 9:16 AM
in reply to: #3530512

User image

Champion

LISA -

Blessings in disguise? It isn't 1902! It always floors me to think what it was like down there in the days before pools and a-c. I look at photos of those old Western Swing bands posed in front of their big tour bus, and try to imagine what it was like riding from town to town in those things, in those temps. And then performing in some dance hall with a couple hundred sweaty bodies moving aorund you. Mercy!

Not doing a race, but bailing on one. I had signed up for Keuka Lake Tri (oly) in upstate NY, but partly due to my body and partly due to travel affordability, I'm skipping it. Last year was great, with ZERO bail-outs; right now, I'm bailing on my first tri. Bah.

I'll do a local sprint next Saturday, though, so at least for the local ones I'kll be 3-for-3 (the two previous duathlons) in terms of NOT bailing. Halleloo!

2011-06-03 11:54 AM
in reply to: #3529524

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

stevebradley - 2011-06-02 2:05 PM SANDRA again - I forgot the gel-in-running-shoe part. Have you discovered energy gels yet? There are a bunch of manufactuers (Hammer Gel, Power Gel, Carb Boom!, Gu, Clif Shot, AccelGel, and others) each with a bunch of flavors, and these are a great way to keep your energy stores topped up. Each packet has about 22-28g of carbohydrate, and as long as you can handle the taste and consistency (many find these to be an "acquired" taste and texture) they work really well. Any running store or bike shop will have a selection, and most decent general sporting goods stores carry them. So do health food stores, and even some pharmacies. ANYHOW, for olympic-distance and beyond I will have one in one of my running shoes, and when I hit T2 I either glom it down right there or stick it in a pocket of my tri shorts for use somewhere along the run. They work best -- and are most palatable-- when followed immediately by water.  r transition spot to check that  

Sandra,

Steve says he takes a gel in T2 for Olympic and greater distances.  However, I take one in T2 for sprints.  I am way slower than Steve and out on the course a lot longer.  Last year, I sort of experimented.  When I had a gel before the run, I did much better - it gave me a boost.

I like the GU brand - especially GU Roctane (Steve says it's too thick but that's just a personal preference)

Denise

2011-06-03 1:12 PM

New user

Louisville

Wow...lots to read, i guess note to self- stay caught up and don't get 8 pages behind.

Late congratulations Sandra on the banner weekend with your thesis and your new Triathlete title. 

Trina, what an awesome way to remember your Uncle.  Very touching.

Lisa,  My family and I went to Alaska four years ago and it was the best trip we have ever taken.  We spent time inland at Fairbanks, Denali, Anckorage and 'the spit' prior to cruising from Whittier to Vancouver.  Majestic is the best way to describe all the awesome handiwork God made available for us to see!!!  Enjoy and take lots of picutres.  I think I have over 2500 with almost 1000 of eagles.

I am a fan of Cliff Shot gel because of the thinner viscocity but do jump around a bit.  Not being much of a chocolate fan i like vanilla because it is not as offensive and the flavor actually stays with me rather than the tinny taste some have.  Lately, I have been experimenting with some of the caffeine boosted packets from different brands to see the impact. Results are inconclusive.  All of these have been while running...have to turn to bike nutrition soon, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I am not racing this weekend but am participating in a local MS ride.  I will ride 100 miles tommorrow and 50 on Sunday.  I am focusing on seeing how my bike fitting is over long distances, using my areo bars at greater intervals and just getting time in the saddle.  Adjustments on the front of the bike seem to be working but this will verify.  While I haven't had any real pain in the saddle area, when i sit up, my sit bones are on the side of the seat but in areo, I have to keep sliding back to get contact and ensure not too much pressure on the perinium (sp.?).  I think i will know by Sunday!

In two weeks I am going to do my first open water swim in a lake- 2 miles.  That should be interesting. 

Overall training has been progressing but work, life and just being tired have slowed down some of my work out plans. I still feel like I have time until IMKY in late August but also not naive enough to think I can let up. 

Going to Vegas all next week for work, hopefully i can swim and run to recover from the long ride. 

Good luck to those racing this weekend.  Oh, and it is hot here too...tommorrow a high of 97!

2011-06-03 1:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Mandy,

Good luck on your  1/2 Sunday.  I know this isn't your 1st so it should be a piece of cake - haha.

My 1st Olympic is Sunday.  1500 racers - it's both an Oly and Sprint - and because of construction, they've changed the bike course and the Oly is a double loop on the same course as the sprint - I'm expecting a total mess.  My placement is going to be really, really bad because all the "slower" racers are dong the sprint.  Why am I doing this again???

Belted - have a super enjoyable MS ride.

Anybody else have interesting weekend plans?

Denise

2011-06-03 4:38 PM

User image

Alaska
Sounds like everyone has busy weekend plans. Love the summers!

I am participating in a sprint triathlon this weekend. Pool swim, technical bike course and “normal” 5k run. Have done this one before so I know what to expect but I always have those expectations that we put upon ourselves. Hope I achieve them!

Lisa when you come to Alaska, the days are longer so you can fit more into your tour! And even if the weather is in the 50-60's, dont worry too much, I think it is a warmer 50 than you may be used to. I'm sure you will find it comfortable.   I'll PM you my number so when you are here give me a call. I'm not really sure I will be in Anchorage as you had indicated you will be here all day the 3rd. Many of us will be exiting Anchorage for that long weekend. I plan on participating in a mountain race in Seward on the 4th so may head down there early. But give me a call, I have some ideas if you have time and it works out.

2011-06-03 5:31 PM
in reply to: #3531294

User image

Champion

DENISE -

I like the Roctane line better than the straight old Gu line. Why? Good question. Maybe because they have enough additional stuff to compensate for anything that might be offensive? I do think they are a tad thinner than plain Gu, but I might just be making that up. The next-to-new pineapple flavor is nice, and the new-new cherry one is very nice.

The cost for Roctane is not nice, however, but for something like Racine it's worth it. I'm glad that they work for you, as the whole slate of ingredients is excellent support for HIM or IM. Good choice!!

Why are you doing an oly this weekend? Wellllllllll........being that it's about six or seven weeks out from Racine, it's the bestest thing you can do to get a feeling for a longer distance. It'll still be a good jump up to HIM-level, but that's what the intervening 6/7 weeks will be all about! I can't promise that you'll enjoy the oly 100%, but post-Racine you will be very glad you did it.

Come to think of it, though, i'm not sure why you won't (mostly) enjoy the oly. I think the double-loop will be okay, as it always surprises me that full-blown chaos does NOT usually come with potentially over-crowded courses. If the RD has been clever about wave starts and the starts of the two distances, the it should work that people just get spread out accordingly.

See my post to Jeff about how to approach the final mile or so of the bike. Well, never mind searching; I'll say it here.

With about a mile to go in the bike, shift to a tougher gearing (big ring, smaller cog) and get out of the saddle for about 15-20 seconds. Enjoy stretching those legs and getting different muscles engaged! The sit down and shift to an easy gearing (small ring, maybe you second- or third-largest cog, and spin for about 15 seconds. Repeat both, and if the out-of-saddle one feels especially good, do one more of those. This is excellent for waking up some dormant muscles that wil be needed on the run, and if you can do that before you actually put on your running shoes, it will really help with the first part of the 6.2 miles.

And if you forget, don't worry. As I told Jeff, I often forget to do it; can't successfully practice what I preach, I guess! Plus, it's a trick that not too many people know about, so if you don't do it then you just descend back down to the hoi-polloi. So it goes!

Finally, heading out on the run take it easy for the first 1/4-1/2 mile, meaning: small strides, feet low to the ground. Give those muscles that just cycled 40km a bit of time to get awake and functional!

Have a good one, and remeber that this is just an important componenet of the Grand Plan for Racine!

2011-06-03 5:48 PM
in reply to: #3531272

User image

Champion

MICHAEL -

Yo! Welcome back!

I'm with you on "tinny" for some of those flavors, and I also feel inconclusively about the caffeine-enhanced ones. But I have to believe that something is happening there, and that something should be a decent boost in the later stages of IMLOO. My two irons pre-dated caffinated gels, but had they been around I would've utilized them thoroughly. Even a mere placebo effect would help at the 11th or 12th hour mark!

The MS ride will be bettwer than a race fdor you, for the testing purposes you mention. Yeah, come Sunday you will have a very good idea of how the fitting and the aero-use "sits" with you. Shouldn't be anything inconclusive about THOSE results!

I know we're all kind of individual "down there", but if you have the same experiences I had, in time you will get used to being far out on the saddle nose. In fact, there's sort of a "sweet spot" there, and for me it is way out. I can't seem to access it all that well in shorter races, but for some reason I migrate out there in longer races, such as half-irons. I think I like it becasue it is (a) a good palce to access some new power, and (b) it relieves the monotony/pressure of the more standard places I perch when I ride.

First OWS, ever? Or first this season? If it's the former, 2 miles is a pretty big fling. Doable, but it'll be different for you, for sure. Are you using a wetsuit? That's a tough call, given the non-wetsuit status of IMLOO. There's a lot to be said for getting used to doing the 2.4 miles wetsuitless....but it makes for tougher training swims! I guess that's good and all, it's just that I have developed a serious co-dependency issue with my wetsuits and am mostly unwilling to swim OWS without one. I explain this by the reasonable-sounding logic of aleways doing my OWS solo, so at least the wetsuit makes me somewhat safer....but underneath it all I'm just a lazy old wuss.

Finally -- yes, you have time, and yes, it's good to not let up on the training too much. But stuff like this coming week in LV is so common for most age-groupers (well, not exactly LV, but work/family commitments) that you should know that you are still functioning in the norm. And whatever you can get done while there.....all the better!

2011-06-03 8:38 PM
in reply to: #3528581

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
stevebradley - 2011-06-01 7:32 AMTRINA -"Geezered". Well, if that happened to you with a 74-year old, what would it be if I did it -- "sub-geezered", "quasi-geezered", "mini-geezed"? Somehow, I don't like the sound of any of 'em! Harumph! Thanks for the clarification about the uncle and WWII. Of course, i'm not too swift on making geneologoical connections, but I think yours is one I get.Did you read the accounts of "Poopman" at IMFL last November? Great story, albeit gross. That's a guy with a goal, and nothing was going to get in his way. he showed more fortitude than i could've summoned, I am sure.Hmmm. What am I forgetting here? You say you won't be around this weekend when Denise does her oly.....but I've forgotten where you are going. I initially thought Alaska, but I'm sure it's Lisa who is going there. Help!
I'm at a music festival in Arkansas - Wakarusa. Listening to great music and dancing with the hippies. Didn't know if my iPad would be able to puck up a signal, but it has so yay! Sorry if the geezer comment ruffled your feathers. Hey I have a few gray hairs so I'm sure someone at some point has prolly called me one. I don't let it bother me. I just pull the machete out of my purse and ...... problem solved!
2011-06-03 8:52 PM
in reply to: #3528675

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
manfarr1974 - 2011-06-01 8:56 AM

kickitinok - 2011-06-01 7:55 PM Forgot!!! Saw a guy who'd pooped his pants during the run. Couldn't believe it.It wasn't a bad poop, just a baseball sized spot on the back of his shorts, but still. EW. Dontcha call it once you've soiled yourself?

UGHHHH SO GROSS!!

Just putting it out there.  If I poop my pants, I am calling it.  Just saying.

I saw pictures from IMAZ last year of a guy that did that (not sure how I got to the pictures?) but anyway, it was NASTY.  Like, the entire back of his legs were covered in poo.  There was a picture of him running and the faces on the people near him were priceless.  AND the kicker was he was standing around after the race talking to people!!   WHAT???

He did, however, qualify for Kona.   I just don't want it that badly.

Mandy

Mandy - I can safely say that I will never want it that badly. And yes, Steve I read up and unfortunately saw a pic of "Poopman" at IMFL last year. I can't believe he was walking around talking to people afterward. I would have run if I saw him approaching me! And thrown up. Running and puking.
2011-06-04 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3531893

User image

Champion

TRINA -

Naw, it didn't really ruffle my feathers. I guess I was just trying to "guilt" you some!

With age comes some benefits, one of them being a very clear recollection of hippiedom -- so, a better appreciation of your comment about dancing with the hippies! And I have to say that moving through one's senior spring of high school with such events as two assassinations (MLK, RFK) and the Columbia uprisings swirling around made for a very memorable period of profound gravitas. Although, really, the profound gravitas didn't come until much later.

As for the grey hairs, well, any I have are utterly overshadowed by the vast expanses of nothingness. Being and nothingness. Sigh.

ANYHOW! Enjoy the weekend. Rediscover youthful goofiness!!

2011-06-04 9:39 AM

New user
Swansea, IL
After celebrating a big Cardinals' victory over the hated Cubbies last nite, I thought I'd treat this morning's 5K as a training run (not worrying about pace, time, etc.).  Although it was already 82 degrees at 8 am this morning, I felt pretty good after the first mile and entertained ideas of maybe breaking 28 minutes.  Alas, finished in 29:20 - that last half mile was a bear!  All the cold Budweiser last nite caught up to me all at once.  Oh well, I've got the rest of the day to look forward to, and looking to go on a long ride tomorrow morning.  I'm beginning to wonder whether we'll ever see 70* weather again.
2011-06-04 11:57 AM

User image

Sorry for my long silence. I finished my first Olympic Distance one month ago. It went quite well. I will report later.
Best regards,

2011-06-04 1:54 PM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine

Hey there!

My # for Rev3 is 1557.  

Saw Rinny today, what a fireplug - the energy oozes off of her.  She and Dibens will be battling it out on this race.   I think that it is better suited to Dibens - the bike course is SUPER hilly.  SO cool to see those two in action.  Matty Ried and Bozzo are no slacker either - quite a pro field here which is neat I get a little starstruck. 

Will report back post-race!

Mandy

2011-06-05 12:59 PM

New user
Swansea, IL
First 20 miler on new tri bike in aero position.  Need to adjust seat, I think.  Will slide back a little which I believe may be more comfortable.  Neck sore.  Followed it with a comfortable 1 mile run.  Racquetball game this afternoon after the Cards go for the sweep over the Cubs.
2011-06-05 10:43 PM
in reply to: #3532397

User image

Champion

MANDY -

No results up yet. Argh!! (And I'm quiet smitten with Julie D., and hope she rocked it!)

HURRY AND GET BACK TO US!!!

2011-06-05 10:45 PM
in reply to: #3532286

User image

Champion

HELMUTH!

A blast from the past! Glad you're still with us....and I'd love to know how the oly went for you. What's next on the schedule? Welcome home!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  

of 57