BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Group--- Phase 2--CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2012-05-26 12:10 PM
in reply to: #4230136

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: RE: Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Group--- Phase 2--CLOSED!
kevinbe - 2012-05-26 12:40 AM

I think I will invest in a cap.  What kind to buy, and where?  really a novice at all this stuff, so I'm living on BT's advice.  So far I know I'm not swimming in a spedo, and I need batteries to help keep me warm.  Check!Wink

I just did my 1000TT in 21:54.  I think this is a little slower than last time, 2:11/100.  I did little swimming in weeks leading up to marathon, so time to get all over the swim and bike in next 2 weeks.

A silicone cap will definitely be a little warmer than a latex one.  I got one just for cold water swimming and cold races.  When you starting racing a triathlon or too you'll get more latex caps than you'll know what to do with.

I've bought a lot of swim supplies on swimoutlet.com.  Prices seem pretty reasonable

Edited by disturbed275 2012-05-26 12:11 PM

2012-05-26 12:13 PM
in reply to: #4229542

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
yogachic - 2012-05-25 2:24 PM
Qua17 - 2012-05-24 7:43 AM
yogachic - 2012-05-23 9:23 PM

Hi guys!

I just got caught up in the thread and read some of your race reports!  Nice work, all!

I've been foam rolling my calves like crazy since my plantar fasciitis started flaring up last week.  Ugh.  I've been able to run, albeit slowly.  I've actually been afraid of getting on my bike since last year biking aggravating it a lot.... Trying not to make the same mistakes as last year, so my foam roller has become my best friend this past week!

Also, lesson learned.  When breaking in newer shoes, make sure to only use them for the run, and not walking around afterward!  I'm hoping this is just a hiccup, though!  Last year, I was able to return to running after cutting back my bike mileage and massaging the crap out of my legs.  If this PF doesn't go away again soon, I'll call up my massage therapist and see if he can fix me up!

Plantar Fasciitis is a curse brought upon us by Satan who must hate athletes with a passion.  I have suffered with it as well and it blows.  I use the foam roller but I've really started to get a handle on it by rolling my foot on a golf ball while I watch tv in the evening.  I would then ice it for the next 20 minutes and made sure to take advil to relieve the inflamation.  It took about 10 days and it hasn't flared up since - I think in part because I still make time to stretch every day.  Your idea about the shoes is a good one.  Best of luck - it will get better!

I think I have it under control, but I have a big training weekend coming up (planning on running 13-15 miles tomorrow and biking ~45 on Sunday) so I'm headed to my massage therapist after work to knead the heck out of my legs.  

My training in the upcoming few weeks will largely determine whether I pull the trigger and register for Steelhead 70.3.  If my plantar fasciitis continues to give me problems, I'll just focus on my 5k swim and the Chicago Marathon this year, and just do shorter tris this summer. 

Sounds like a big weekend!  Hope everything holds up for you!

2012-05-26 7:11 PM
in reply to: #4229560

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
rydergal - 2012-05-25 1:29 PM
thor67 - 2012-05-25 8:00 AM
kevinbe - 2012-05-24 11:20 PM

Moonrocket - 2012-05-25 8:31 AM Luckily the water is 60. It's the air that got chilly. Did you wear anything on your head for 52?

This is a good point.  I'm considering going out to a lake that I grew up water skiing on.  I can remember several times as a youth getting in during the beginning of June, so that's what I may go with.  I have no way of guaging temp, but wondering if I need something on feet, hands, or head.  What are BT's thoughts?

If you are tough like Tera(rydergal) then a racing speedo ought to do it.Smile if you are sissy like me a drysuit with battery operated heater....

Haaha ! U should invent that! Think of all the $$ you would make off us Canadian triathletes!!

Hey have a good race tomorrow!(you are in coronation Edmonton tri right??)

Things were hopping at united cycle today that is for sure!

2012-05-26 8:38 PM
in reply to: #4124591

User image

Champion
Hi team! Been looking through the recent posts! Looks like there has been some pretty nice training going on within the group. Nice to see! Sorry to be so MIA as a mentor over the past little while. Only have 2 call left on general internal medicine and then I should be back to my regular life schedule. GIM has not been a lifestyle friendly rotation in any sense. Currently post call today and have call tomorrow. Sad that I won't be able to join in at the Coronation tri tomorrow! that pool is my home pool from when I was a club swimmer. Haha. Good luck to all those racing this weekend and keep up the good training!
2012-05-27 3:26 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Hi Friends,

I have been keeping up on post but usually cannot reply...new job is going well and I finally don't feel like a foreigner in a foreign land...as much!  Work is sending me to Philadelphia in June for a week...training there will be a great experience; trying something new and all.The wind has been crazy here in No. NV, so maybe a reprieve while in Philly.  

I am still working on adjusting my meds so I am not so tired but I have been wiped out lately.  I have been doing some light running and long swims on the weekends. No improvements but maintaining.  Sounds like most are doing well and staying motivated! I have a long swim today, group ride tomorrow and a long run.  Have a great weekend.  

2012-05-28 4:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I had a great bike ride today. Decided to explor the gravel multi use paths and see how they all linked together. Ended up going 26 miles in 2:20 with 1400 elevation gain. It was a lot of fun even if I got lost twice. The first time I got lost however I found a great hill that I'm going to have to try running up. I have a favor to ask. If anyone's really bored I'd love to hear your thoughts on if my training is enough to get me through a sprint in three weeks. The bike is a little long for a sprint at 17.2 miles. I'm starting to get nervous. What should I focus on in the next three weeks? I know I need to try out my wetsuit in the Res and I'd like to ride the course (but hate traffic.). What else should I be doing?

2012-05-28 5:17 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

GI issues kept me from  my group ride today but not my run. In an effort to not lose all conditioning for basketball, my daughter, who is back for the summer from college asked if I wanted to run with her.  Of course I did!  We weren't fast but it was nice to have someone on my shoulder.

Cyntha

2012-05-28 8:10 PM
in reply to: #4230782

User image

Expert

mndymond - 2012-05-26 8:38 PM Hi team! Been looking through the recent posts! Looks like there has been some pretty nice training going on within the group. Nice to see! Sorry to be so MIA as a mentor over the past little while. Only have 2 call left on general internal medicine and then I should be back to my regular life schedule. GIM has not been a lifestyle friendly rotation in any sense. Currently post call today and have call tomorrow. Sad that I won't be able to join in at the Coronation tri tomorrow! that pool is my home pool from when I was a club swimmer. Haha. Good luck to all those racing this weekend and keep up the good training!

Melisa - Keep your sanity for your last two shifts!  Sounds like your schedule puts your thought the ringer!

2012-05-28 8:13 PM
in reply to: #4231271

User image

Expert
SportzVision - 2012-05-27 3:26 PM

Hi Friends,

I have been keeping up on post but usually cannot reply...new job is going well and I finally don't feel like a foreigner in a foreign land...as much!  Work is sending me to Philadelphia in June for a week...training there will be a great experience; trying something new and all.The wind has been crazy here in No. NV, so maybe a reprieve while in Philly.  

I am still working on adjusting my meds so I am not so tired but I have been wiped out lately.  I have been doing some light running and long swims on the weekends. No improvements but maintaining.  Sounds like most are doing well and staying motivated! I have a long swim today, group ride tomorrow and a long run.  Have a great weekend.  

Philedelphia, eh?  How many miles on a bike do you have to ride to burn off a Phily cheese steak?  I think you should find out and let us know...  Good luck on getting those meds figured out so you can get back into the mix!

2012-05-28 8:24 PM
in reply to: #4232211

User image

Expert

Moonrocket - 2012-05-28 4:51 PM I had a great bike ride today. Decided to explor the gravel multi use paths and see how they all linked together. Ended up going 26 miles in 2:20 with 1400 elevation gain. It was a lot of fun even if I got lost twice. The first time I got lost however I found a great hill that I'm going to have to try running up. I have a favor to ask. If anyone's really bored I'd love to hear your thoughts on if my training is enough to get me through a sprint in three weeks. The bike is a little long for a sprint at 17.2 miles. I'm starting to get nervous. What should I focus on in the next three weeks? I know I need to try out my wetsuit in the Res and I'd like to ride the course (but hate traffic.). What else should I be doing?

So glad to hear about your fantastic bike ride!  Sounds like you really had to hoof it to get up all those hills.  

I took a look at your logs and it looks like you are in a really good place as you head into the last three weeks of training.  You've put in a run, bike, and swim that are longer than what you will be doing in the race... The only thing I might suggest - since you asked - is to try to add a little weekly volume.  You have some good "long workouts" but try to add a few minutes to your short workouts.  Try to add 15% to your volume from the last 10 days and add some bricks (swim and bikes/bikes and swims so you can get use to the wobbly legs that come after transition.  Be sure to go easy for the 10 days before the race so you can rest up for the race.  

Finally, practice your transitions several times before the race.  The best time to do this is at the end of your workouts.  There are a ton of good videos online to give you suggestions.

Other than that, I think you are all set and I wish you well!  

2012-05-28 8:29 PM

User image

Expert

Moonrocket - 2012-05-28 4:51 PM I had a great bike ride today. Decided to explor the gravel multi use paths and see how they all linked together. Ended up going 26 miles in 2:20 with 1400 elevation gain. It was a lot of fun even if I got lost twice. The first time I got lost however I found a great hill that I'm going to have to try running up. I have a favor to ask. If anyone's really bored I'd love to hear your thoughts on if my training is enough to get me through a sprint in three weeks. The bike is a little long for a sprint at 17.2 miles. I'm starting to get nervous. What should I focus on in the next three weeks? I know I need to try out my wetsuit in the Res and I'd like to ride the course (but hate traffic.). What else should I be doing?

Looking at your training log, it looks like you're fine to go the distance.  Three weeks is also enough time to squeeze in more training if you're getting nervous, too.  Maybe next weekend you could do a brick workout- just a short run (maybe a mile or two) after immediately after your long bike ride.  Swimming or riding the course is a good idea if it makes you feel better, but don't sweat it if riding in traffic, etc makes you nervous.  

Have you been experimenting with pre-workout breakfasts & in-race nutrition?  Those are some things you should be practicing before the race too!  Also, picking out what you will wear and doing some longer workouts in your racing outfit.

2012-05-28 8:31 PM
in reply to: #4232226

User image

Expert
SportzVision - 2012-05-28 5:17 PM

GI issues kept me from  my group ride today but not my run. In an effort to not lose all conditioning for basketball, my daughter, who is back for the summer from college asked if I wanted to run with her.  Of course I did!  We weren't fast but it was nice to have someone on my shoulder.

Cyntha

Nice you can make training a family event!  I ran with my sister for her first half marathon last week (I wasn't registered for the race- just decided to run it with her as a training run).  She was struggling through the race and it was nice to be able to try to encourage her and keep her motivated.

2012-05-28 8:31 PM

User image

Expert

It's been a rough couple of days in regards to working out and eating.  My sore hips really cut into my workout time last week and having a friend come to town didn't help with the healthy eating.  I had a great hill repeat workout and managed to add 1.5 miles an hour and shaved 11 minutes off my previous time.

Here's my plan - please give me crap if I don't follow through:

Monday - Hill Repeat workout
Tuesday - Short Swim/Short Run - I'm going to a redsox/detroit game in the pm so I will have to put in the time in the AM
Wednesday -  Biking to and from work - this will be a first for me...
Thursday - Long Swim/Long Run (I would like to see if I could swim a mile in less than 2:20 (my goal for the month) and hit 5 or six miles  on the run (my running goal))
Friday - Rest
Saturday - Hill Repeats
Sunday - Long Swim 

2012-05-28 8:46 PM

User image

Expert

Ok, well, I sort of got my workouts in this weekend.  

I was planning on 13-15 miles running on Saturday and 45ish miles on Sunday.  I ended up running to the Soldier Field 10-miler and running the course backward while looking for my friend who was doing her longest distance ever.  She was struggling a little, so I when I found her, I ended up running the last few miles with her.  I then went into the stadium and watched her finish crossing the 50-yard line.  I originally was planning on running home after, but her mom (who had come to watch the race) offered to take us out to lunch.  So I ended up doing about 11 miles since I got a ride instead of running home.

Saturday night was the same friend's birthday/going away party, and I ended up having too much to drink and getting home at 3am.... I was supposed to do Bike the Drive at 5am but was still drunk so ended up skipping it.  I did get in a swim later that day, but was for the most part busy recovering from my night out!

I did end up doing a 38-mile bike ride this morning with some friends, so all was not lost!  No sign of plantar fasciitis, so that's good.  

ETA- I'm going on a road trip this week with the friend who had the going away party on Saturday.... Helping her move to Texas.  I'm hoping the hotels we stay at have pools so I can still swim and run.  If I have time between driving, maybe I'll also be able to rent some bikes and do some shorter rides along the way!  In any case, not sure how much internet access I'll have, so I might be MIA until next week!

Edited by yogachic 2012-05-28 8:48 PM
2012-05-28 9:58 PM
in reply to: #4232422

User image

Extreme Veteran
Qua17 - 2012-05-28 7:13 PM
SportzVision - 2012-05-27 3:26 PM

Hi Friends,

Philedelphia, eh?  How many miles on a bike do you have to ride to burn off a Phily cheese steak?  I think you should find out and let us know...  Good luck on getting those meds figured out so you can get back into the mix!

Mmm cheesesteak! Have fun in Philly. I have not been there since I was a kid.
2012-05-28 10:05 PM
in reply to: #4232437

User image

Extreme Veteran
Qua17 - 2012-05-28 7:24 PM

So glad to hear about your fantastic bike ride!  Sounds like you really had to hoof it to get up all those hills.  

I took a look at your logs and it looks like you are in a really good place as you head into the last three weeks of training.  You've put in a run, bike, and swim that are longer than what you will be doing in the race... The only thing I might suggest - since you asked - is to try to add a little weekly volume.  You have some good "long workouts" but try to add a few minutes to your short workouts.  Try to add 15% to your volume from the last 10 days and add some bricks (swim and bikes/bikes and swims so you can get use to the wobbly legs that come after transition.  Be sure to go easy for the 10 days before the race so you can rest up for the race.  

Finally, practice your transitions several times before the race.  The best time to do this is at the end of your workouts.  There are a ton of good videos online to give you suggestions.

Thank you for the feedback! I really struggle with consistency since my job is a little feast or famine in terms of some days I just don't get a break then other days it's really easy to get out. Is it worth doing short 2 a days if that's all I can fit in? I'm planning on doing a stroke and stride in two weeks. That should be a good swim run. It's the same place as the race. I'm torn between entering it as a 750 swim and 5k to simulate the race swim or do the 1500 for a better workout. I definitely have to practice transitions, but feel a little silly to have the neighbors watching. I am planning to try and get in three runs instead of two a week.

2012-05-28 10:16 PM
in reply to: #4232441

User image

Extreme Veteran
yogachic - 2012-05-28 7:29 PM

Looking at your training log, it looks like you're fine to go the distance.  Three weeks is also enough time to squeeze in more training if you're getting nervous, too.  Maybe next weekend you could do a brick workout- just a short run (maybe a mile or two) after immediately after your long bike ride.  Swimming or riding the course is a good idea if it makes you feel better, but don't sweat it if riding in traffic, etc makes you nervous.  

Have you been experimenting with pre-workout breakfasts & in-race nutrition?  Those are some things you should be practicing before the race too!  Also, picking out what you will wear and doing some longer workouts in your racing outfit.

Thanks! I have been working a little on nutrition and am learning a lot. I definitely feel a drop off in performance around an hour if I just drink water. I'm planning on having a bottle of weak gatoraide and one of water for the bike. Then a shot blok or two in T2. After some experimenting I seem to be able to tolerate those well. I hate GU, so I'm so glad a friend offered me a shot blok while mtn biking as I had never heard of them. I really like the margarita ones with 3x the salt. I have to admit though, all of the times I had them before were in the afternoon and I was a little thrown off popping one at 10am this morning. Maybe I need a more AM friendly flavor. I also read the box when I got home and saw that the serving size is 3 blokes and I had just been doing one at an hour and 45 minutes later. They are only 30 calories each though, so I'm wondering if that's enough. I have not tried out my new tri top either, so that's definitely a good idea to test it out. I guess I can wear it in the stroke and stride. I should also bike to make sure it doesn't rub funny. Wow, I have a lot to get to in three weeks! Thank you for the advice!
2012-05-28 10:21 PM
in reply to: #4232444

User image

Extreme Veteran
Qua17 - 2012-05-28 7:31 PM

It's been a rough couple of days in regards to working out and eating.  My sore hips really cut into my workout time last week and having a friend come to town didn't help with the healthy eating.  I had a great hill repeat workout and managed to add 1.5 miles an hour and shaved 11 minutes off my previous time.

Here's my plan - please give me crap if I don't follow through:

Monday - Hill Repeat workout
Tuesday - Short Swim/Short Run - I'm going to a redsox/detroit game in the pm so I will have to put in the time in the AM
Wednesday -  Biking to and from work - this will be a first for me...
Thursday - Long Swim/Long Run (I would like to see if I could swim a mile in less than 2:20 (my goal for the month) and hit 5 or six miles  on the run (my running goal))
Friday - Rest
Saturday - Hill Repeats
Sunday - Long Swim 

I'll give you crap if you do the same for me! How are your hips? I had a calf strain the past few weeks. It's so frustrating to be limited by an injury! I hope they get better quick. Sounds like you have a good week planned. Are you going to being in you clothes a day early for you bike commute? I keep thinking about doing this, but between daycare pick up and drop off and just general logistics I never end up doing it. I used to never use my car during the week. How far is your commute?
2012-05-28 10:25 PM
in reply to: #4232467

User image

Extreme Veteran
yogachic - 2012-05-28 7:46 PM

Ok, well, I sort of got my workouts in this weekend.  

I was planning on 13-15 miles running on Saturday and 45ish miles on Sunday.  I ended up running to the Soldier Field 10-miler and running the course backward while looking for my friend who was doing her longest distance ever.  She was struggling a little, so I when I found her, I ended up running the last few miles with her.  I then went into the stadium and watched her finish crossing the 50-yard line.  I originally was planning on running home after, but her mom (who had come to watch the race) offered to take us out to lunch.  So I ended up doing about 11 miles since I got a ride instead of running home.

Saturday night was the same friend's birthday/going away party, and I ended up having too much to drink and getting home at 3am.... I was supposed to do Bike the Drive at 5am but was still drunk so ended up skipping it.  I did get in a swim later that day, but was for the most part busy recovering from my night out!

I did end up doing a 38-mile bike ride this morning with some friends, so all was not lost!  No sign of plantar fasciitis, so that's good.  

ETA- I'm going on a road trip this week with the friend who had the going away party on Saturday.... Helping her move to Texas.  I'm hoping the hotels we stay at have pools so I can still swim and run.  If I have time between driving, maybe I'll also be able to rent some bikes and do some shorter rides along the way!  In any case, not sure how much internet access I'll have, so I might be MIA until next week!

Was the race the kind where they show you running on the big screen? I love the stadium runs they have here. There's even a 10k that takes you through Coors field (Rockies baseball stadium) the Pepsi center (Nuggets- basketball) and Mile High (Broncos - football). I'd like to do that one. Does your drive to Texas go through anywhere fun? Enjoy checking out the country!
2012-05-28 11:42 PM
in reply to: #4230723

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
thor67 - 2012-05-26 6:11 PM

Moonrocket - 2012-05-25 8:31 AM Luckily the water is 60. It's the air that got chilly. Did you wear anything on your head for 52?

This is a good point.  I'm considering going out to a lake that I grew up water skiing on.  I can remember several times as a youth getting in during the beginning of June, so that's what I may go with.  I have no way of guaging temp, but wondering if I need something on feet, hands, or head.  What are BT's thoughts?

If you are tough like Tera(rydergal) then a racing speedo ought to do it.Smile if you are sissy like me a drysuit with battery operated heater....

Haaha ! U should invent that! Think of all the $$ you would make off us Canadian triathletes!!

Thanks! Race went good! First time in a 50m pool, actually liked it better! Kind of got into the rythm of things instead of stop start all the time.  Probably the best organized swim start I have been in as well! ....I left the garmin at home so transition times would be faster rather then fumbling with it's buttons.... instead I just wore a normal watch and timed the whole race....

I really though my run was sucky by perception, just wasn't feeling great in it and then I get my race results and ran one of the fastest 8km's I ever have! that was awesome!! (the course had to of been short

I Managed to do some shopping in Edmonton, got some new bike shoes! Hoping these ones will work! I was getting numb toes in my last 2 pairs, but this pair is nice and wide so hopefully will be much better! Got a 90km ride planned for tomorrow so that will be a good test!

2012-05-28 11:45 PM
in reply to: #4230782

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta

mndymond - 2012-05-26 7:38 PM Hi team! Been looking through the recent posts! Looks like there has been some pretty nice training going on within the group. Nice to see! Sorry to be so MIA as a mentor over the past little while. Only have 2 call left on general internal medicine and then I should be back to my regular life schedule. GIM has not been a lifestyle friendly rotation in any sense. Currently post call today and have call tomorrow. Sad that I won't be able to join in at the Coronation tri tomorrow! that pool is my home pool from when I was a club swimmer. Haha. Good luck to all those racing this weekend and keep up the good training!

Wooohooo u are almost done! Just in time for great weather and great training! Coronation tri was really good! I really enjoyed it and the 'different' distance! It will still be there next year for ya!

2012-05-29 8:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Moonrocket - 2012-05-28 3:51 PM I had a great bike ride today. Decided to explor the gravel multi use paths and see how they all linked together. Ended up going 26 miles in 2:20 with 1400 elevation gain. It was a lot of fun even if I got lost twice. The first time I got lost however I found a great hill that I'm going to have to try running up. I have a favor to ask. If anyone's really bored I'd love to hear your thoughts on if my training is enough to get me through a sprint in three weeks. The bike is a little long for a sprint at 17.2 miles. I'm starting to get nervous. What should I focus on in the next three weeks? I know I need to try out my wetsuit in the Res and I'd like to ride the course (but hate traffic.). What else should I be doing?

your training is looking good. I will just emphasize to make sure you practice your OWS with your wetsuit. That was the most difficult adjustment for me and I used to competitive swim.

You will kick butt!

2012-05-29 8:32 AM
in reply to: #4232628

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
rydergal - 2012-05-28 10:42 PM
thor67 - 2012-05-26 6:11 PM

Thanks! Race went good! First time in a 50m pool, actually liked it better! Kind of got into the rythm of things instead of stop start all the time.  Probably the best organized swim start I have been in as well! ....I left the garmin at home so transition times would be faster rather then fumbling with it's buttons.... instead I just wore a normal watch and timed the whole race....

I really though my run was sucky by perception, just wasn't feeling great in it and then I get my race results and ran one of the fastest 8km's I ever have! that was awesome!! (the course had to of been short

I Managed to do some shopping in Edmonton, got some new bike shoes! Hoping these ones will work! I was getting numb toes in my last 2 pairs, but this pair is nice and wide so hopefully will be much better! Got a 90km ride planned for tomorrow so that will be a good test!

Nice job on the run! Isn't the first half downhill and the second half up hill? Groat road?

Have you done up a race report yet?

Where did you get your shoes?

2012-05-29 10:38 AM
in reply to: #4232565

User image

Expert
Moonrocket - 2012-05-28 10:05 PM
Qua17 - 2012-05-28 7:24 PM

Thank you for the feedback! I really struggle with consistency since my job is a little feast or famine in terms of some days I just don't get a break then other days it's really easy to get out. Is it worth doing short 2 a days if that's all I can fit in? I'm planning on doing a stroke and stride in two weeks. That should be a good swim run. It's the same place as the race. I'm torn between entering it as a 750 swim and 5k to simulate the race swim or do the 1500 for a better workout. I definitely have to practice transitions, but feel a little silly to have the neighbors watching. I am planning to try and get in three runs instead of two a week.

In terms of scheduling, I think you just have to work with what you're able to do.  If you're at least able to space out your workouts so it's not always back-to-back (ie morning then evening workouts) it'll be easier on your body than doing more brick workouts where you go from one workout immediately to the next.

Once you've been doing tris for a while, you'll forget about looking silly in front of neighbors Smile  I live in a high rise condo building, and I can't imagine what my front desk people think about me!  At least you only have neighbors to contend with... When I have to practice my crazy tri shenanigans, it's out in public in the park or beach!

2012-05-30 7:49 PM
in reply to: #4232571

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Moonrocket - 2012-05-28 10:16 PM
yogachic - 2012-05-28 7:29 PM

Thanks! I have been working a little on nutrition and am learning a lot. I definitely feel a drop off in performance around an hour if I just drink water. I'm planning on having a bottle of weak gatoraide and one of water for the bike. Then a shot blok or two in T2. After some experimenting I seem to be able to tolerate those well. I hate GU, so I'm so glad a friend offered me a shot blok while mtn biking as I had never heard of them. I really like the margarita ones with 3x the salt. I have to admit though, all of the times I had them before were in the afternoon and I was a little thrown off popping one at 10am this morning. Maybe I need a more AM friendly flavor. I also read the box when I got home and saw that the serving size is 3 blokes and I had just been doing one at an hour and 45 minutes later. They are only 30 calories each though, so I'm wondering if that's enough. I have not tried out my new tri top either, so that's definitely a good idea to test it out. I guess I can wear it in the stroke and stride. I should also bike to make sure it doesn't rub funny. Wow, I have a lot to get to in three weeks! Thank you for the advice!

Sounds like everyone has given you some pretty sound advice.  Definite to-dos would be practicing in the wetsuit and practicing transition.  If you do plan on a brick, your best bet is for this weekend to allow for adequate recovery

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Group--- Phase 2--CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 45