BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-06-10 7:40 PM
in reply to: iamDawnAnderson

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED
Hey Turtles! How come no one told me that running outside in the heat/humidity was sooo hard?! OMG! It's storming here so tonight was in the high 80's with 500% humidity. I tried to do my long run for the week (29 min) with a run/walk combo. That QUICKLY turned into a walk/run combo and was shortened 10 minutes. I clearly was not thinking when I signed up to race in August! I high-tailed it home and did some push-ups, squats, the core 2 workout from here on BT, & my plank-a-day (00:01:04). I'm going to feel that tomorrow. Swim class starts back up tomorrow. Ready to get back to it!

2013-06-10 9:32 PM
in reply to: MJSolt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by MJSolt

Man, it's been a while since I have posted!

I'm alive and well, just been really lazy this weekend. My son is winding up his baseball regular season and then it's playoffs and then All-Stars. I love it but it is alot of running around.

Kayla is at the LBS getting a tune-up and I will be doing my fit on Tuesday.

This week I start the 0 to 700 swim program in preparation for the 0 to 1650 that I will be starting along with the 13-week Sprint Tri program. 

If you look at my log you can see it's been a few days sine I have trained. It was just total laziness. This week, come hell or high water, I will get in a full week of training!

I'll have to read pack through the posts to see what everyone is upto but I am sure everyone is training hard and having fun!

Seems like you have located the problem, now it's time to fix it Also, I am really starting to think that Kayla is kind of High Maintanence!
2013-06-10 9:35 PM
in reply to: corbetjackson50

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by corbetjackson50

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

OK, time to give a wake up call to a few. The search party is being organized for Mike, Corbet, and Rennay. They have not posted since before the 5th, Corbet must have had one heck of a Birthday Party that he is trying to still recover from. Mike must be spending some quite time with his new lady, and Rennay is like working out the Logisitics of her move. Come on back to the turtles folks we miss your post. Not included was Kara, who is still welcome but the search party has been called back, still hoping she'll come out of the woods on day and back to the turtles.

Todd you hit the nail on the head haha. I should have let you guys know i was taking a miniature vacation. We rented a cabin in the mountains in Tennessee. I was optimistic and brought my running shoes however my car could not climb the mountain with out spinning the tires even on dry pavement. It was crazy steep!!! On top of that I ate and drank anything and everything. Time to get back on track! my race is 46 days away!!!

Glad to hear that yall had a great time and enjoyed the time away, especially after your wife's extended illness. Like you said 46 days away, time to get to training. Remember don't go twice as hard to make up for what you think you may have lost or missed workout wise because you will only increase your chance of injury and not gain much by doing so.
2013-06-10 9:38 PM
in reply to: iamDawnAnderson

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by iamDawnAnderson

Hey Turtles! How come no one told me that running outside in the heat/humidity was sooo hard?! OMG! It's storming here so tonight was in the high 80's with 500% humidity. I tried to do my long run for the week (29 min) with a run/walk combo. That QUICKLY turned into a walk/run combo and was shortened 10 minutes. I clearly was not thinking when I signed up to race in August! I high-tailed it home and did some push-ups, squats, the core 2 workout from here on BT, & my plank-a-day (00:01:04). I'm going to feel that tomorrow. Swim class starts back up tomorrow. Ready to get back to it!

Glad to hear you got out there and have another swim class tomorrow. If you start to feel to bad about the heat and humidity there, you can also come to the Houston area of Texas and we can make you remember how much you love your heat.
2013-06-10 9:52 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

New user

Originally posted by iamDawnAnderson

Glad to hear you got out there and have another swim class tomorrow. If you start to feel to bad about the heat and humidity there, you can also come to the Houston area of Texas and we can make you remember how much you love your heat.
Oh no thank you my brotha! I've never been to Texas but I have spent time in New Orleans. Y'all truly do have a different kind of heat down there!
2013-06-10 9:57 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Hey Corbet and Mike, great to see you back and back into it! Sometimes a bit of a break is just what you need to get all fired up and keen again.

Lovey, congrats on the weight loss! It can be so hard sometimes, keeping on top of it. I'm trying to shed the last few kg before I get to my target but they're just not moving, despite the 40+ minutes of cardio a day, the strength twice a week, and the eating of salads only for lunch. I think I'll have to start meticulously logging my intake as well. I'll probably be a bit shocked by all the little extrasUndecided.

And as for going to bed early....I'm in bed by 9pm, asleep by 9.02, pretty well every night. I really enjoy those two minutes of falling asleep, though, it's the ultimate relaxationSmile.

2013-06-11 8:56 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Veteran
I owned my run today!!!!! I did part of a new course that has a large bridge to get up and over. Not only did I do but I did it without stopping and maintained a 9:30 pace!!! It also helps that I was wearing this.

BOOM!!!! Turtle Power!!!

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (86KB - 10 downloads)
2013-06-11 10:18 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Beth, that hat is Awesome!!!! I would like it with a Lime Green Turtle as well.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2013-06-11 10:43 AM
2013-06-11 10:32 AM
in reply to: Hubbie

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-06-12 5:23 AM
in reply to: afischer01

Gold Coast, Australia
So how's everyone doing today? I had a nice 5k run this morning, it was a foggy dawn so a bit damp but not too cold. Stuck with the zone 2 limits on the HRM and was pleased to find my pace is increasing while maintaining a steady zone 2 heart rate. I'm still slow by running standards-7:47 per km (12:32 per mile) but it gives me hope that I may be able to complete the HM in 3 weeks within the cutoff time.  70 second plank today too.
2013-06-12 9:26 AM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Taringa

So how's everyone doing today? I had a nice 5k run this morning, it was a foggy dawn so a bit damp but not too cold. Stuck with the zone 2 limits on the HRM and was pleased to find my pace is increasing while maintaining a steady zone 2 heart rate. I'm still slow by running standards-7:47 per km (12:32 per mile) but it gives me hope that I may be able to complete the HM in 3 weeks within the cutoff time.  70 second plank today too.

Great job, I too am starting to see a drop in HR average / speed put out, but mine is more so on the bike. The run is improving but is still hard going when it come to trying to stay in Z2. Also you do seem to be coming along nicely for your half and should have time to spare from the cutoff.

2013-06-12 10:55 AM

Veteran
Baltimore Area

I had a really nice run yesterday in my training group. We train at a local lake park that has a 2.4 mile trail around the lake. Yesterday workout was 30 minute run or once around the lake. Of course, walk breaks can be taken when necessary. My friends and I did the 30 minutes then kept going with no walk breaks all around the lake!!

I ran for 39 minutes with no walk breaks!! My longest run with no breaks so far. It felt good. My ankle had to be elevated later and I took an aleve.
I average a 15:43 pace. My previous average has been about a 17 min/mile. Progress!!
2013-06-12 1:01 PM
in reply to: Lovey

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Lovey

I had a really nice run yesterday in my training group. We train at a local lake park that has a 2.4 mile trail around the lake. Yesterday workout was 30 minute run or once around the lake. Of course, walk breaks can be taken when necessary. My friends and I did the 30 minutes then kept going with no walk breaks all around the lake!!

I ran for 39 minutes with no walk breaks!! My longest run with no breaks so far. It felt good. My ankle had to be elevated later and I took an aleve.
I average a 15:43 pace. My previous average has been about a 17 min/mile. Progress!!

Great Job, progress is always nice to see, especially after a hard workout.
2013-06-12 3:53 PM

Veteran
Baltimore Area

I think that is awesome. With your training and times, you won't have any problem finishing your half.

By the way, that 70 second plank is killing it. I checked your log (nice job), I didn't realize I could enter planks! Thanks.

Edited by Lovey 2013-06-12 3:55 PM
2013-06-12 5:18 PM

well today was a loss as far as training... i loaded my bike up and got all of my gear ready for an early morning ride. As soon as i opened my bedroom door i heard water. i initialy thought it was my fish tank (120 gallon saltwater reef tank) my other hobby. it ended up being my water line to the refrigerator popped off and flooded my kitchen! I had to cancel my ride and wait for lowest to open at 7 rush home and make the repair by 730 so i could make it to work on time.

the positive notes for the day:
i start a new job (promotion) on June 24th. yay!
i almost registered for my tri! it would be done but imathlete.com doesn't do so well with my phone.
2013-06-12 5:19 PM

well today was a loss as far as training... i loaded my bike up and got all of my gear ready for an early morning ride. As soon as i opened my bedroom door i heard water. i initialy thought it was my fish tank (120 gallon saltwater reef tank) my other hobby. it ended up being my water line to the refrigerator popped off and flooded my kitchen! I had to cancel my ride and wait for lowest to open at 7 rush home and make the repair by 730 so i could make it to work on time.

the positive notes for the day:
i start a new job (promotion) on June 24th. yay!
i almost registered for my tri! it would be done but imathlete.com doesn't do so well with my phone.

2013-06-12 8:57 PM

Extreme Veteran
Sorry, to hear about your bad luck this morning. I likely would have cut of the water to the frig, mopped up the water, and then gone for my ridek and fixed it after work when I got home Seriously though, sorry about the bad luck, but congrats on the new position. Also you said sign up for a Tri, I thought you are already signed up for one a little over a month from now. Do you have your eye on another race?
2013-06-12 9:20 PM

Sorry, to hear about your bad luck this morning. I likely would have cut of the water to the frig, mopped up the water, and then gone for my ridek and fixed it after work when I got home Seriously though, sorry about the bad luck, but congrats on the new position. Also you said sign up for a Tri, I thought you are already signed up for one a little over a month from now. Do you have your eye on another race?

Todd if i had it my way that's what i would have done, but my wife wouldn't let me live that down if i let her and the kids all day without running water.... (i had to shut off the entire house) As far as the race goes i was just going to make it official, i have had my eyes on this race on July 27th.
2013-06-12 10:17 PM

Veteran
Sounds like everyone is doing great on the training front. Between the job promotions, busted water lines, and websites not wanting to work it seems the everyone has come through it almost unscathed. Keep it up Turtles!!!

On the home front, in an effort to save money my gym has yet to turn on the AC to high. As a result after 2.5 hours I was drentched, it looked like I just took my shirt out of the washer and put it on. When I got changed into my swim gear I was actually able to wring out some sweat. I weighed myself and found that I lost almost two pounds in water weight, in one workout session! Man that's crazy. I hope they get the AC on soon.

Beth
2013-06-13 5:08 AM
in reply to: Hubbie

Gold Coast, Australia
Corbet, what a bummer of a morning! I'm amazed, though, that you could get it fixed and be off to work in time for a normal start. That sort of thing would have taken at least half a day here at my place. Congratulations on the promotion, it's nice to hear people doing well Smile.
2013-06-13 5:13 AM
in reply to: Lovey

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by Lovey
Originally posted by Taringa So how's everyone doing today? I had a nice 5k run this morning, it was a foggy dawn so a bit damp but not too cold. Stuck with the zone 2 limits on the HRM and was pleased to find my pace is increasing while maintaining a steady zone 2 heart rate. I'm still slow by running standards-7:47 per km (12:32 per mile) but it gives me hope that I may be able to complete the HM in 3 weeks within the cutoff time.  70 second plank today too.
I think that is awesome. With your training and times, you won't have any problem finishing your half. By the way, that 70 second plank is killing it. I checked your log (nice job), I didn't realize I could enter planks! Thanks.

Thanks Lovey, and I'm glad I could help. I can only enter the planks sometimes, the system seems to be a little hit and miss on logging them properly. It could just be me, though, so I just write them in as well. Can you tell I get a bit obsessive about lists and recordsEmbarassed? Perhaps I should have been a bookkeeper....

2013-06-13 7:46 AM

Veteran
Louisville

OK, time to give a wake up call to a few. The search party is being organized for Mike, Corbet, and Rennay. They have not posted since before the 5th, Corbet must have had one heck of a Birthday Party that he is trying to still recover from. Mike must be spending some quite time with his new lady, and Rennay is like working out the Logisitics of her move. Come on back to the turtles folks we miss your post. Not included was Kara, who is still welcome but the search party has been called back, still hoping she'll come out of the woods on day and back to the turtles.

You found me! This is the first time I've really been on the computer since Friday or so. Sorry to leave you all but I'm back now! To fill you in, I managed to log a M-F workout week last week (YAY!) and had just started at a new job working in dietary at a long term care/rehab facility. I love it so far but it's really physical so after a week of work and a week of workouts I was definitely feeling it this week. I took the weekend off as my cousin came in from New York on Friday night and ended up getting engaged on Saturday! Sunday I worked at my second job and so far this week I've worked my dietary job M-W, today at my second job, tomorrow back in dietary and Saturday is my first tri of the season! It's a sprint and since I continued all 3 disciplines since my first tri last August I'm feeling much more comfortable with the race. It's also the same course my other tri was and is the same race I volunteered for last year so I'm certainly not underselling it but I'm a lot more comfortable this time and not freaking out about taking it easy this week. To sum it up, between my new job (they're supposed to be hiring more people since part time SHOULD be 3-4 days per week instead of 4-5), my second job (always 2 days per week), preparing for my trip to Peru next month, preparing for my move to Texas in 2 ish months, NOW trying to get a handle on planning a wedding (which will be here in Louisville so I'm trying to at least get a venue settled before the move), my cousin being in town and being just a little bit overworked, I've slacked on my posting and my workouts BUT on the bright side, my nutrition has remained steady and on point so I actually managed to lose a pound which is much better than the gain I was anticipating. Looks like things here are going well. I'll continue to read for sure but my apologies if I don't get to respond to everything. Thanks for the support and I'll be back for sure to tell you about my race Saturday if not before then!
2013-06-13 10:23 AM
in reply to: Rnay225

New user
Originally posted by Rnay225

You found me! This is the first time I've really been on the computer since Friday or so. Sorry to leave you all but I'm back now! To fill you in, I managed to log a M-F workout week last week (YAY!) and had just started at a new job working in dietary at a long term care/rehab facility. I love it so far but it's really physical so after a week of work and a week of workouts I was definitely feeling it this week. I took the weekend off as my cousin came in from New York on Friday night and ended up getting engaged on Saturday! Sunday I worked at my second job and so far this week I've worked my dietary job M-W, today at my second job, tomorrow back in dietary and Saturday is my first tri of the season! It's a sprint and since I continued all 3 disciplines since my first tri last August I'm feeling much more comfortable with the race. It's also the same course my other tri was and is the same race I volunteered for last year so I'm certainly not underselling it but I'm a lot more comfortable this time and not freaking out about taking it easy this week. To sum it up, between my new job (they're supposed to be hiring more people since part time SHOULD be 3-4 days per week instead of 4-5), my second job (always 2 days per week), preparing for my trip to Peru next month, preparing for my move to Texas in 2 ish months, NOW trying to get a handle on planning a wedding (which will be here in Louisville so I'm trying to at least get a venue settled before the move), my cousin being in town and being just a little bit overworked, I've slacked on my posting and my workouts BUT on the bright side, my nutrition has remained steady and on point so I actually managed to lose a pound which is much better than the gain I was anticipating. Looks like things here are going well. I'll continue to read for sure but my apologies if I don't get to respond to everything. Thanks for the support and I'll be back for sure to tell you about my race Saturday if not before then!
Congrats on the engagement! Yay, a Turtle wedding!! Good luck with your race too!
2013-06-13 2:43 PM

Sorry guys I was away for a few days but last Thrusday I left for Montreal to spend the weekend watching the Canadian Formula 1 Grand Prix and then got back in time to see my Spain take on Ireland in a soccer friendly played at Yankees stadium. I did play tennis and run a 5K yesterday and today I pounded some iron in the house. Hopefully tomorrow I will hit the pool and gym after watching Man of Steel.

Edited by ibr80 2013-06-13 2:50 PM
2013-06-13 2:47 PM
in reply to: ibr80

(photo copy.JPG)

(photo.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
photo copy.JPG (109KB - 10 downloads)
photo.JPG (112KB - 10 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 45