BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2014-03-11 12:27 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed
Had a great run today. I drove out to a nearby trail along the shoreline and ran 3.5 miles. Along the way I saw two snowy owls.

2014-03-11 6:46 PM
in reply to: #4915342

User image

Forgot to mention this. I've had an adversarial bout with quitting smoking over the last few months. On again(a week or two) off again(a few days at a time). I haven't had a cigarette, nor truly desired one in 16 days(although I am using electronic cigarettes for now... which I'll have to quit as well).
2014-03-11 11:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by 2gs Forgot to mention this. I've had an adversarial bout with quitting smoking over the last few months. On again(a week or two) off again(a few days at a time). I haven't had a cigarette, nor truly desired one in 16 days(although I am using electronic cigarettes for now... which I'll have to quit as well).

Congratulations on the quitting smoking, even an on again/off again battle is a step in the right direction. I faced that particular demon a few times, I think this time (around 4 years ago) I finally won. Good luck with it, hang in there. It's worth the effort.

Edited by Taringa 2014-03-11 11:52 PM
2014-03-11 11:56 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete
Originally posted by Taringa

Great to see everyone powering along with the workouts! I made the 10% increase, plus a little bit more, so I'm happy with that.Feeling a bit flat and have a scheduled easy week so I'm going to pull back a bit, try and get some good sleep in instead .

Great job. Have you come to a decision yet about whether or not to do a half?

I'm certainly aiming at doing one, hopefully in August. I don't want to push myself to injury point though, so if I don't make it to this one, I'll find another one later on.  The journey is fun!

2014-03-12 8:05 AM
in reply to: 2gs

User image

Hey 2gs

Good for you to wanting to give up.

It's a very addictive habit to break but well worth it in so many ways.

Rod
2014-03-12 8:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by 2gs

Forgot to mention this. I've had an adversarial bout with quitting smoking over the last few months. On again(a week or two) off again(a few days at a time). I haven't had a cigarette, nor truly desired one in 16 days(although I am using electronic cigarettes for now... which I'll have to quit as well).

Brother I went through the same thing for years, which is when and why I took up Triathlon. January 4, 2010, I decided that I was not going to smoke anymore and took to completing a Triathlon. I have not smoked a cigarette since that day, and consider it a larger / healthier accomplish then any event I have finished yet. Stay at and know that the payoff in added years to your life is worth the struggle.

2014-03-13 3:47 AM
in reply to: cassowary

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by cassowary Had a great run today. I drove out to a nearby trail along the shoreline and ran 3.5 miles. Along the way I saw two snowy owls.

I love seeing wildlife when out training. Around here it's usually kangaroos, hares, goannas and of course all the assorted birds. Snowy owls must have been a beautiful sight, they're lovely birds.

2014-03-13 7:59 PM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Originally posted by cassowary Had a great run today. I drove out to a nearby trail along the shoreline and ran 3.5 miles. Along the way I saw two snowy owls.

I love seeing wildlife when out training. Around here it's usually kangaroos, hares, goannas and of course all the assorted birds. Snowy owls must have been a beautiful sight, they're lovely birds.

I would LOVE to go on a run and see Kangaroos!! I agree I love seeing what is hoping around in the woods! Here we have deer (lots and lots) chipmunks, Possums, Racoons and sometimes Bears (run fast lol)
2014-03-13 8:02 PM

User image

Originally posted by 2gs

Congrats on getting rid of the cigarettes! Me and my husband both quit four years ago and now I cant stand to smell smoke!! I weened myself with a E-Cig. Hubby took Chantix, which does not work for everyone due to its failure to mix with other medicines and also gives some people horrible crazy scary dreams. You will save a ton of money and also not have to worry about the health issues associated with it. YOU CAN DO IT!!
2014-03-14 2:16 PM
in reply to: Pixiedustlady

User image

Extreme Veteran
Here's to hoping that everyone has a productive and great weekend. My original plans got turned upside down with the death of one of my Uncle's. We weren't really close but family is family so we had to cancel the family trip for the viewing tonight and burial tomorrow afternoon. I will still be able to get in my long run and ride this weekend and I'm taking the family to a play, so hopefully they'll forget about the cancelled camping trip. Obviously the plays for them not me so much, but my daughter just lights up when she watches one.
2014-03-14 6:23 PM

User image

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Here's to hoping that everyone has a productive and great weekend. My original plans got turned upside down with the death of one of my Uncle's. We weren't really close but family is family so we had to cancel the family trip for the viewing tonight and burial tomorrow afternoon. I will still be able to get in my long run and ride this weekend and I'm taking the family to a play, so hopefully they'll forget about the cancelled camping trip. Obviously the plays for them not me so much, but my daughter just lights up when she watches one.

Sorry to hear about your Uncle. You are doing the right thing with putting family first. I am sure you will get all your workouts done and have fun at the play! Camping sounds very fun right now. Hope you can rebook your trip soon and enjoy your camping trip! Best to you and your family.

2014-03-15 4:35 AM
in reply to: Pixiedustlady

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Sorry to hear about your uncle, Todd. Even when we're not very close, family is still family and a death always makes you stop and think. I hope it all goes OK for you all.

2014-03-15 5:53 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

I haven't done a lot of training this week; it's my daughter's 4th birthday and we've been in kids' party mode. It's all over now, everyone's had lots of fun and eaten way too much sugar and food colouring, and I'm looking forward to a good sleep (sugar crash) tonight. Planning on a nice run tomorrow morning, all on my own, at dawn when everything is quiet. Time for some "me" time!

2014-03-15 9:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: First 5k
Hello Turtles. After battling four days of being sick and my kid being sick I wasn't to sure about today. But we both woke up feeling good. So this morning I ran with my 6 year old as he completed his first 5k. He ran almost all of it and had a time of 46:10. I was so proud of my boy, he didn't complain once and finished strong. I was proud to be with him as he crossed the finish line. Poor boy was so tired afterward he sat in the parking lot for a few minutes.
2014-03-15 10:14 AM
in reply to: Hubbie

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: First 5k
Here's a pic of my boy.

(10202568564669568.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
10202568564669568.jpg (147KB - 5 downloads)
2014-03-15 5:47 PM

User image

I haven't done a lot of training this week; it's my daughter's 4th birthday and we've been in kids' party mode. It's all over now, everyone's had lots of fun and eaten way too much sugar and food colouring, and I'm looking forward to a good sleep (sugar crash) tonight. Planning on a nice run tomorrow morning, all on my own, at dawn when everything is quiet. Time for some "me" time!

Taringa,
The birthday party sounds like fun! I love sugar and candy! lol! Hope you enjoy your run at dawn!

2014-03-15 6:07 PM

User image

Well this is the end of a very ramped up training schedule in preparation of my upcoming Iron distance Duathlon. Today was BEAUTIFUL and 73 degrees. I went on base for my long run. My hubby came with me and rode along side on my old cruiser bike. This is his first time out since his surgery and I could tell he was glad to be out of the house. We ran off road on one of the trails. Trail running is a lot harder to me then running on the road. I ran five miles. I did not push for speed and only stopped three times for some Heed and a gel. I wore my Newtons and have determined they are going to take over my Brooks collection. They are way more comfortable and supportive then any of the Brooks. I bought the newest Sufferfest sessions to add to my collection and am excited to try them. Tomorrow is a relax day! Hope everyone has a great weekend!
2014-03-16 12:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: Brick Day

Did my first brick of bike/ run. I was both excited and trepidacious. My favorite thought during this was "people really do this, plus swimming?" HAHAHAHA

Im also pretty excited as Ive done 3 base weeks and am satisfied with the workout volume and time ive put in. This week i'll scale back. I was thinking of focusing on 3-4 short swims with form drilling and doing only 1 bike and 1 run(swimming is still my weakest and ive yet to swim over 1/4 mile). Any opinion on this or should i stick with my usual schedule and do less volume?

Edited by 2gs 2014-03-16 12:20 PM
2014-03-16 2:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Brick Day
Originally posted by 2gs

Did my first brick of bike/ run. I was both excited and trepidacious. My favorite thought during this was "people really do this, plus swimming?" HAHAHAHA

Im also pretty excited as Ive done 3 base weeks and am satisfied with the workout volume and time ive put in. This week i'll scale back. I was thinking of focusing on 3-4 short swims with form drilling and doing only 1 bike and 1 run(swimming is still my weakest and ive yet to swim over 1/4 mile). Any opinion on this or should i stick with my usual schedule and do less volume?

Do you have a set schedule or plan that you are following or are you planning each week as to you go? Generally do speaking most plans on your easy weeks will have you scale back on all the areas and still maintain the frequency. For instance of you are to do two training sessions of each sport each week on your easy week you will continue to do that but just less volume. Hope this helps.

Beth
2014-03-16 7:41 PM
in reply to: Hubbie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: First 5k
Originally posted by Hubbie

Hello Turtles. After battling four days of being sick and my kid being sick I wasn't to sure about today. But we both woke up feeling good. So this morning I ran with my 6 year old as he completed his first 5k. He ran almost all of it and had a time of 46:10. I was so proud of my boy, he didn't complain once and finished strong. I was proud to be with him as he crossed the finish line. Poor boy was so tired afterward he sat in the parking lot for a few minutes.

Beth, I sure hope he forgives you for holding him back Serious though, that is freaking awesome and how proud you must of been watching him cross the finish line. Just awesome.
2014-03-16 7:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Brick Day
Originally posted by 2gs

I would stick with your plan. What Beth said is what I agree with. A recovery week is just that a recovery with shorter workouts / distances but still basically calls upon you to complete the same workouts. I would suggest this, do the plan but during the recovery week and even a normal week don't be afraid or worried to up you swim. Swim is extremely low impact and will have little effect on the other sports other than overall fatigue and even that you can minimize with longer but easier swims. Great Job on knocking out the last three weeks and not allowing excuses to stop you for accomplishing your goals.

2014-03-17 5:38 PM

User image

Subject: Going backwards
Hi Turtles,

Unfortunately I was unable to do much training last week due to working night shift. I was operating on 3-5 hours of interrupted sleep a day for 6 days and didn’t have the energy to train. I feel like I'm going backwards at the moment as my fitness goes down hill and my weight increases when I'm working nights due to inactivity.

I’ve got to get back into the training this week and look at how to manage my training program in future weeks when I’m working nights.

Rod
2014-03-18 5:36 AM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Subject: RE: Going backwards

I would barely be able to function on 3-5 hours sleep, let alone train. Hopefully you can get some plan in place for those night shift weeks.

2014-03-18 6:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by AussieTurtle

Hi Turtles,

Unfortunately I was unable to do much training last week due to working night shift. I was operating on 3-5 hours of interrupted sleep a day for 6 days and didn’t have the energy to train. I feel like I'm going backwards at the moment as my fitness goes down hill and my weight increases when I'm working nights due to inactivity.

I’ve got to get back into the training this week and look at how to manage my training program in future weeks when I’m working nights.

Rod

Rod, some times there just isn't enough time in the day. Keep looking and I'm sure you can find at least a little time. You know that something as easy as a quick ten minute jog (1 mile) can help you maintain a higher level of fitness then nothing. You certainly don't have to take it as an all of nothing situation because some times there just is not enough time. Best of luck!
2014-03-18 1:44 PM

User image

Originally posted by AussieTurtle

Hi Turtles,

Rod

Rod,
When I go back to work soon the thing that makes me cringe is I keep the same kind of horrible hours as you do. For me once the weekend gets here I NEED rest and will take that over anything. Good job sitting down and taking a look at where you can place your workouts, I know it is tough and I know you can do it!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 33

RELATED POSTS

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24945 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16475 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 19204 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.
date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.