BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2009-06-08 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2068561

User image

Subject: RE: Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training)

Amy, they said our water temp was around 60 or so, and I saw at least 3 women who just had bathing suits on and just the little cap they handed out...one of those women was one of the first ones out, according to my husband...I overheard her saying she just hoped she would be numb after the first 5 minutes...

2009-06-08 11:13 AM

User image

Thank you all for being so nice!!  My race report is up.  I must tell you, I'm exhausted, but so glad I did it!  i got to a point on Sat. where I didn't think I was going to do it...then I didn't sleep much on Sat. night, and when I did doze off, I was dreaming of the bike route, which my husband and I drove that day...then in the middle of the swim, when the second buoy seemed so darm far away, I thought, well, I'll finish this swim, but I am NOT going to do the bike...but then I got out, and people were nice, and I decided to get on the bike to see how my muscles felt, then it was going okay, so I decided to see if I could get up the first bigger hill, and I did, then it was fun, so I finished that, and then I knew I could do the walk, if I could just get my legs to straighten up!!!

Anyway, thanks for all of your encouragement!  Now it's time to get some swim lessons in, and to get out more on my bike, now that I'm not as scared of being on the road!!
2009-06-08 11:21 AM
in reply to: #2201976

User image

Regular
kmbhoya2000 - 2009-06-08 10:30 AM

Amy, they said our water temp was around 60 or so, and I saw at least 3 women who just had bathing suits on and just the little cap they handed out...one of those women was one of the first ones out, according to my husband...I overheard her saying she just hoped she would be numb after the first 5 minutes...

Thanks.  I looked at your race report.  Congratulations.  You should be very proud.  I am impressed!!!!
2009-06-08 11:34 AM
in reply to: #2202203

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-06-08 12:13 PM Thank you all for being so nice!!  My race report is up.  I must tell you, I'm exhausted, but so glad I did it!  i got to a point on Sat. where I didn't think I was going to do it...then I didn't sleep much on Sat. night, and when I did doze off, I was dreaming of the bike route, which my husband and I drove that day...then in the middle of the swim, when the second buoy seemed so darm far away, I thought, well, I'll finish this swim, but I am NOT going to do the bike...but then I got out, and people were nice, and I decided to get on the bike to see how my muscles felt, then it was going okay, so I decided to see if I could get up the first bigger hill, and I did, then it was fun, so I finished that, and then I knew I could do the walk, if I could just get my legs to straighten up!!!

Anyway, thanks for all of your encouragement!  Now it's time to get some swim lessons in, and to get out more on my bike, now that I'm not as scared of being on the road!!

Congrats again - yes, swim lessons will definitely help you.

2009-06-08 11:41 AM

User image

So, as it is so clear, what my MAJOR problem is...swimming will be my focus this month...So, I am going to try to get in 2500 m a week, I know that is not much for most of you, but that's a lot more than I was doing...and at the end of the month, when our pool opens full-time, I'm going to get started on lessons...

As for the rest of this week, I need to recover, and stretch a ton, I may try to get to a yoga class, and I will get a bike ride in and a walk...
2009-06-08 12:52 PM
in reply to: #2202203

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
kmbhoya2000 - 2009-06-08 9:13 AM

Thank you all for being so nice!!  My race report is up.  I must tell you, I'm exhausted, but so glad I did it!  i got to a point on Sat. where I didn't think I was going to do it...then I didn't sleep much on Sat. night, and when I did doze off, I was dreaming of the bike route, which my husband and I drove that day...then in the middle of the swim, when the second buoy seemed so darm far away, I thought, well, I'll finish this swim, but I am NOT going to do the bike...but then I got out, and people were nice, and I decided to get on the bike to see how my muscles felt, then it was going okay, so I decided to see if I could get up the first bigger hill, and I did, then it was fun, so I finished that, and then I knew I could do the walk, if I could just get my legs to straighten up!!!

way to go sticking it out. congratulations triathlete.

2009-06-08 12:55 PM
in reply to: #2202337

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-06-08 12:41 PM So, as it is so clear, what my MAJOR problem is...swimming will be my focus this month...So, I am going to try to get in 2500 m a week, I know that is not much for most of you, but that's a lot more than I was doing...and at the end of the month, when our pool opens full-time, I'm going to get started on lessons...

As for the rest of this week, I need to recover, and stretch a ton, I may try to get to a yoga class, and I will get a bike ride in and a walk...

Any amount is a good start No worries there.

2009-06-08 1:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
hey chrissy a quick swimming question-
as i was swimming this morning i was thinking is it difficult to mentally change from a pool swim to an ows. the distance for my race is 500 yds. i am not afraid of the ocean, but more concerned about pace and positioning so that i am not in anyones way. i am confident that i can finish the swim, i am a steady swimmer-no michael phelps here. thanks.
also why do my goggles keep fogging up. this morning i had to stop twice. just curious.
2009-06-08 1:58 PM
in reply to: #2202661

wplummer - 2009-06-08 2:05 PM hey chrissy a quick swimming question- as i was swimming this morning i was thinking is it difficult to mentally change from a pool swim to an ows. the distance for my race is 500 yds. i am not afraid of the ocean, but more concerned about pace and positioning so that i am not in anyones way. i am confident that i can finish the swim, i am a steady swimmer-no michael phelps here. thanks. also why do my goggles keep fogging up. this morning i had to stop twice. just curious.

First to answer the q re: goggles - they may not be the right shape for your face and so the seal may not be as tight as it should be. If they otherwise seem to fit all right, check for cracks or leaks anywhere, esp, in the part that seals to your face (rubber or plastic, foam, or whatever, depending on what kind you have). On occasion, goggles do fog, and usually it's just cuz they're a little dirty, or slightly filmy/moldy, if you've left them sitting in a gym bag, unventilated for awhile - some people use special anti-fog spray, but simply spitting in them, wiping them out and then rinsing them in the pool does the job for most of us. Also, baby shampoo seems to work well.

Second re: pool to OWS transition -  First, it's a good thing that the water itself doesn't freak you out - that's a huge advantage. Open water swim pretty much guarantees that you will get in someone's way at some point, and that someone will get in YOUR way too Just the nature of the beast. This is usually the worst at the beginning, when everyone is jockeying for position. To stay out of the center of the fray, stay a little bit further back, and to the side (either side is fine), which means people will surge forward and leave you a clear path. This also may keep you from going out too fast with everyone else around you, plus you can always catch up to someone's feet and draft! I highly recommend drafting, since it's totally legal in the swim. Sighting is important - if you get a chance, do some open water swimming to practice this, though you can also practice it in the pool (at least the looking up and swimming part). It's fairly easy - just follow the buoys and the general mass of people. I try not to follow one person for too long since people can get off-course and you don't want to follow them! Really, just swim your swim, ya know? If someone wants to pass you, they will, and if you need to pass someone, look for an empty space and make a break for it. If you get whacked, just move over a bit, brush it off and keep going. If you whack someone, same thing. There will be some slight whacking here and there, and it's usually not enough to throw anyone off, since it's expected. Just relax, breathe, find a good rhythm and try to stick with it but be flexible if you need to, i.e. breathing to one side if there are lots of people splashing on the other, etc. You'll be fine

2009-06-08 1:59 PM
in reply to: #2202613

User image

wplummer - 2009-06-08 1:52 PM
!
way to go sticking it out. congratulations triathlete.

Thanks so much!!  Laughing

Edited by kmbhoya2000 2009-06-08 1:59 PM
2009-06-09 7:46 AM

Morning folks! Wow, there was a HUGE thunderstorm that went through this morning around 5 - the thunder was so strong that the house shook a little, and the lightning was super-bright, which is kinda scary

Marathon Training Day #1 is down. Only however many more days to go

Anybody got anything good going on this week? Don't forget about the June challenge - whatever discipline you picked to do, let's see some numbers up on those graphs!!

2009-06-10 7:55 AM

Morning all - quiet day yesterday Hope everyone is having a good week - happy hump day!

2009-06-10 12:04 PM

User image

Regular
Morning all. 

I need some help with the sunshine Gods here in IL.  It was 51 degrees when I got up this AM which is only making the pool for my race this Sunday colder!!!! Sun for the next 4 days will help.  So if you know any sun dances... please start doing them.  I need to lose weight but freezing my arse off wasn't exactly how I wanted to do it!!!!!!!

Sealed
2009-06-10 12:12 PM
in reply to: #2207861

amkaz - 2009-06-10 1:04 PM Morning all. 

I need some help with the sunshine Gods here in IL.  It was 51 degrees when I got up this AM which is only making the pool for my race this Sunday colder!!!! Sun for the next 4 days will help.  So if you know any sun dances... please start doing them.  I need to lose weight but freezing my arse off wasn't exactly how I wanted to do it!!!!!!!

Sealed

Eek! 50 is fine to run and bike in but not swim! You can have some of our oppressive heat if you'd like

2009-06-10 12:33 PM
in reply to: #2207886

User image

Regular
I'll take it.  Forcast is for rain and 54-70 today, rain and 51-69 tomorrow, then 54-76 with clouds friday and 57-78 on Sat and now RAIN on Sunday 57-78.  Its going to be a little CHILLY.  Brrrrrrrrrrrr!  Easier to run and bike in than hot though.
2009-06-10 12:40 PM
in reply to: #2207937

amkaz - 2009-06-10 1:33 PM I'll take it.  Forcast is for rain and 54-70 today, rain and 51-69 tomorrow, then 54-76 with clouds friday and 57-78 on Sat and now RAIN on Sunday 57-78.  Its going to be a little CHILLY.  Brrrrrrrrrrrr!  Easier to run and bike in than hot though.

That is true. I don't really like racing in the heat, The Oly I may do in September is going to be pretty hot. All the more reason for me to finish fast! The 4 miler I have coming up is a "twilight" run but it starts at 7 pm, which is not twilight and it's still hot as ballz here at 7 pm!! We'll see if I hurl somewhere in the middle or at the end of that one.

2009-06-10 6:21 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
afternoon/evening eetc to you all!
Just dropping in to say hi! My laptop charger has gone caput so i can only access the intarwebs at library etc at the moment
Not much to report here!
2009-06-10 6:34 PM

No worries - been quiet around here lately. I ate something that didn't sit well at lunch, so I went home a bit early - trying not to heave on the car ride home - and wasn't able to get in my 5-miler tonight. Gah.

2009-06-11 6:56 AM

User image

Hey all, hope all is well...it's been a rough week   ANyway, I am ready to find another triathlon!!!!!!!!!!   There are 2 that I am looking at in July...Broome County on the 11th or the mini-musselman on the 18th...Neither of them are too far from home, the difference is that Broome County is small...about 150 and mini-mussel is big - around 650...I posted asking questions about Broome COunty because there isn't really a website with info...just a registration sheet...do you have any thoughts about big event vs. small event?  I have to find out if the close the course at a certain time...because that could be a hindrince since I'm so slow
2009-06-11 7:56 AM
in reply to: #2209487

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-06-11 7:56 AM Hey all, hope all is well...it's been a rough week   ANyway, I am ready to find another triathlon!!!!!!!!!!   There are 2 that I am looking at in July...Broome County on the 11th or the mini-musselman on the 18th...Neither of them are too far from home, the difference is that Broome County is small...about 150 and mini-mussel is big - around 650...I posted asking questions about Broome COunty because there isn't really a website with info...just a registration sheet...do you have any thoughts about big event vs. small event?  I have to find out if the close the course at a certain time...because that could be a hindrince since I'm so slow

I hear the Musselman races are great - really pretty area of course. 650 is decent, but not huge. I think of "bigger" races going closer to 1,000 or more. How big was your last race? I've done races with 500ish, and they don't seem "big" to me, but a smaller race might make things like transition and swim starts a little less crowded. Also might feel a little bit more low-key. If it's a "hometown" type of race and if it's not USAT sanctioned, it may feel a little bit less competitive.

2009-06-11 1:52 PM

User image

Regular
THANKS TO ALL DOING WARM WEATHER DANCES FOR ME!!! WATER HIT 71 DEGREES TODAY! THANKS!

2009-06-11 1:57 PM

User image

Good luck this weekend Amy!!!
2009-06-11 1:57 PM
in reply to: #2211083

amkaz - 2009-06-11 2:52 PM THANKS TO ALL DOING WARM WEATHER DANCES FOR ME!!! WATER HIT 71 DEGREES TODAY! THANKS!

Wahoo!! Good luck!

2009-06-12 5:56 AM
in reply to: #2211083

User image

Expert
Cambridge
amkaz - 2009-06-11 7:52 PM THANKS TO ALL DOING WARM WEATHER DANCES FOR ME!!! WATER HIT 71 DEGREES TODAY! THANKS!

sounds toasty
2009-06-12 10:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
Hey everybody, sorry I have been MIA for the past week but had a family emergency that had to be taken care of last Friday. In fact, I was unable to race on Saturday as I had to travel out of the area and got back Thursday. I spent all day Thursday and today (went in to work at 4 AM) trying to catch up on everything that had piled up while I was gone.

I was pretty disappointed about missing the race, but I didn't have a choice. I probably shouldn't go into details as I use my real name on this site, but I found out that my sister's boyfriend thinks it is acceptable to hit a woman. Suffice it to say I took care of the situation. I seriously doubt he will be hitting any women in the future. Sorry for the "real" moment, it just something that angers me to no end.

Anyhow, I will try and catch up on the posts over the past week on Sunday, as I am racing tomorrow. I look forward to reading Kathleen's race report.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  

of 29