BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2009-06-02 7:03 PM
in reply to: #2189531

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
Subject: RE: Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED
Lora109 - 2009-06-02 12:49 PM All I gotta say is, "You ladies rock!"  I was just catching up on the last page of posts and your all's support of each other is, frankly, inspiring.

OK, since I've been sucking the last couple weeks, let's change our challenge from June 1 to July 31.  Here's who I've got signed-up for the challenge and doing what:

Chris:        Strength - Core
Sue:          Bike - 157 miles
Kami:        Strength - Core - 3x week
Denise:     Swim - 1,000 yards at 2:50/100
Lisa:         Strength - Pushups - 3x week @ 25 each
Patricia:    Run - 3x week
Mary Sue: General Training - 6x week
Debbie:     Run - 33 miles
Shannon:  Strength - 3x week
Janet:        Bike - 12 hours

Please re-figure to adjust for the new times and post that here.

If anyone else wants to join in, now's your chance.  We've got 10 folks and 2 more would give us 4 ladies per team.  Even if your goal is to walk at least three times a week, this will still be a great chance to meet your goal, even if it's not tri-related yet.

I am in - my challenge is to swim at least 3x a week !

2009-06-02 7:17 PM
in reply to: #2189531

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
Lora109 - 2009-06-02 11:49 AM All I gotta say is, "You ladies rock!"  I was just catching up on the last page of posts and your all's support of each other is, frankly, inspiring.

OK, since I've been sucking the last couple weeks, let's change our challenge from June 1 to July 31.  Here's who I've got signed-up for the challenge and doing what:

If anyone else wants to join in, now's your chance.  We've got 10 folks and 2 more would give us 4 ladies per team.  Even if your goal is to walk at least three times a week, this will still be a great chance to meet your goal, even if it's not tri-related yet.

OK...I am jumping into the challenge.   I will swim 1.5 miles/week (I did it in miles because I alternate between meter and yard pools.)   I can count laps and calculate mileage at home.
2009-06-02 7:22 PM
in reply to: #2189590

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
lkc01234 - 2009-06-02 2:06 PM
Lora109 - 2009-06-02 12:49 PM All I gotta say is, "You ladies rock!"  I was just catching up on the last page of posts and your all's support of each other is, frankly, inspiring.

I'm confused...this is my goal for the next 2 months?  Cuz if that's the case...I want one goal one month and another the next month...Not really trying to be difficult - I'm just gonna be focusing on different things :-D

That is very fine, Lisa.  No problem.  Just tell me what those goals are and I'll get 'em listed.
2009-06-02 7:34 PM
in reply to: #2185202

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
fantom8588 - 2009-05-31 10:15 PM

Hi gang,

I tried my swim with optical goggles today.  Very interesting.  I don't usually wear goggles at all and then to be able to see the bottom of the pool.  Very odd.  For whatever reason the goggles did seem to throw my breathing off, but I think I'll just have to get used to them. 

I couldn't see ahead of me which I've been able to see without goggles so I'll have to get used to that. 

Bad girl, Sue.  I haven't started running.  I think I have a block against it.  I know I can walk all day long but I'm going to have to start sometime.  I am committing here to start this week.

Sue

Let's go, Sue!  Yeah, goggles are just something that take a little getting used to.

I understand about having a block - completely understand that!  I sometimes run up against those blocks on each of the sports.  They come and go and then it switches to another sport!  Once you start it, though, it's not bad.  It's just taking that first step, you know?  Hope the week's going well!
2009-06-02 7:36 PM
in reply to: #2185285

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
ChrisFL - 2009-05-31 11:01 PM Ladies- I have a question....

Actually two questions:

1.  How long does it take to truly train for a 5K? 
2.  How hard would it be to run in a 5K that part of it was running on sand? 

I'm looking at running my first 5K at Clearwater Beach.  I just read the info and it says that some of the running will be on the actual beach!  I'm wondering if this will add greatly to the difficulty. 

Time is a factor too as I have two options.  It's a series of races so there is one in July and one in August......August clearly giving me more time to prepare. 

I feel that even though I have been taking my running s-l-o-w-ly to avoid hip pain that I can actually run two miles pretty easily at this point.  Not three.  How long would it take to add that extra mile?  Thanks for any info.  I want to do a 5K first before any triathlon.  Christine

Hey, Christine!  I just sent you a PM.
2009-06-02 7:38 PM
in reply to: #2068936

User image

New user

Serendipity - we are hoping to have the wedding June 2010.

Cool, I thought I was too late to get in the challenge!  My goal is to run 2 times/week and bike at least once/week. 

Yes, I'm afraid about biking on my own.  I've only been out once so far and it was on a rail trail with my fiance (I love saying that!).  I'm worried about busting a tire or wrecking while I'm by myself.  I'm goint to stick to the rail trail for a while.  I've been seeing a lot of bikers on the road and I'm scared I'll get hit by a car!  I think I'll keep going with my fiance until I'm more comfortable.  Plus my bike won't fit in my car and will fit in his SUV with the seat down.  Speaking of which....we need to get bike racks for our cars.  What's the price range for that, and are they really specialized depending on your bike?  We already have a hitch on the SUV.  I have a convertible, so i don't think I could do one of those on the top of your car racks.  I guess I'll need to get a hitch for my car.  I thought about just putting the top down and throwing the bike in the back seat and letting it hang out, but I don't want to damage the interior of my car, or for the bike to fall out...LOL! 

2009-06-02 7:39 PM
in reply to: #2180756

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
lkc01234 - 2009-05-29 10:41 AM

ME:  I had a great workout on Monday!!  I did the elliptical for 30 minutes, then hopped on the treadmill and jogged a mile (15 minutes) - - I couldn't have done that a month ago!!  Woo-hoo!! Then the not good stuff started...the next day I felt sore - no biggie...I rested that day.  Then the NEXT morning I woke up and the pain had stayed in one area...and I realized I pulled something.  The only thing I can think of that was "different" was the elliptical.  Therefore I pledge not to use that again for a while!!!  I am mad at it!!  Fortunately I haven't felt the pain since yesterday afternoon...so I'm going to do a swim today, and then hopefully a run tomorrow.  I have 5K #2 in 2 weeks and I WANTED to run it all...we'll see, I guess!  ::sigh::

Hope everyone is well!

Lisa, you are doing great!  Seeing progress is such a motivator, isn't it?
2009-06-02 7:41 PM
in reply to: #2186549

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
myoun - 2009-06-01 12:21 PM Hi everyone -
I too fell off the wagon last week.  My in-laws were visiting and house guests for 5 days, and I got stressed and just didn't take the time to get out the door (which probably would have helped my stress!).  Thankfully, they left this morning.

OK, on a good news front  and back on the wagon-
I got back in the pool this morning for my masters' swim class and swam one mile!  Slowly, but I did it.  For someone who couldn't swim one lap in the fall without gasping for air, to swim 36 laps/72 lengths without stopping feels like a huge feat to me!  WOO HOO!  So, for those who are doubting that they could do this - trust me, with some consistency, you can reach whatever goals you set for yourself.

And I am leaving for my college reunion on Wednesday, but I am proud of myself that I have already planned ahead and found out places to work out while I am away to stay on schedule.  And with all the tri training (and Weight Watchers), I am going into the reunion 35 lbs. lighter and much more confident. 

OK, back on the schedule - and 8 weeks to go until my July 26 tri!

Mary Sue

Heck yeah, Mary Sue!  Way to go on swimming one mile!  That's huge!!!!  Kudos for planning ahead on your training while you're away!  Safe travels and have fun!
2009-06-02 9:13 PM
in reply to: #2190674

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
maggiewvu - 2009-06-02 8:38 PM

we need to get bike racks for our cars.  What's the price range for that, and are they really specialized depending on your bike? 

my bike wouldn't fit on our old "attach to the trunk" bike rack, my bike was too small. So we got one that attaches to a hitch and holds 4 bikes. The fork gets smaller as it goes away from the car so you can put kid bikes on it too. Mine can't go to the back of this one either... anyway we got it off craigslist for $50

2009-06-02 9:19 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-06-02 9:24 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-06-03 4:59 AM

Regular
Montreal, Quebec
Hi everyone

If you look at my training log, you'll notice a lot of 'home improvement' workouts LOL We are now at the painting stage and the ceramic tile stage. I move next Tuesday but the new house will not be ready unfortunatly. I'll be living in a construction zone for a week or two....

I'm still planning on doing the June tri even though my training volume is very low. I figure that all the training I did throughout the winter will get me through it. This week I'm concentrating on running (I can't get to the pool at night nor can I take the time for a long bike ride).

Tonight, home stuff
Thursday : run
Friday : more home stuff
Saturday : swimming and brick training (I insisted that I keep this training)
Sunday : not sure yet

Next week should be a bit better. I'm a bit nervous about the tri but like I said, I should be ok. I can swim 750m, I can bike 20k and I can run 5k, now I have to do them all one after the other.... yikes!!!

Patricia
2009-06-03 10:04 AM

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
I FOUND GOGGLES THAT FIT!!!  I've been thru 6-7 pairs of goggles and nothing fits well - they all leak.  I had settled for a pair of Dolphins which worked the best.  Then I tried some TYR Tracers this week and they fit beautifully.  I knew they were going to work well because when I held them against my eyes, they suctioned without the straps holding them on.  Thought I'd pass this info on even tho I know goggle fit is an individual thing.

Keep up the hard work ladies.
Denise
2009-06-03 11:52 AM
in reply to: #2190570

Master
Loveland, Ohio
bluwatersoul - 2009-06-02 8:03 PM

I am in - my challenge is to swim at least 3x a week !

I gotcha down, Megan!
2009-06-03 11:53 AM
in reply to: #2190612

Master
Loveland, Ohio
ranchrunner - 2009-06-02 8:17 PM
Lora109 - 2009-06-02 11:49 AM All I gotta say is, "You ladies rock!"  I was just catching up on the last page of posts and your all's support of each other is, frankly, inspiring.

OK...I am jumping into the challenge.   I will swim 1.5 miles/week (I did it in miles because I alternate between meter and yard pools.)   I can count laps and calculate mileage at home.

That's a great goal, Sharie!  I've gotcha down!
2009-06-03 12:11 PM
in reply to: #2190875

Master
Loveland, Ohio
ChrisFL - 2009-06-02 10:19 PM

Hey Lora- could you adjust my goal to "Core workout -3x week"  I can't be outdone by Kami! Wink lol  No....seriously....it really isn't a goal without a number or times per week or amount right? 

So guess what ladies....I am actually sitting here on our boat as I type this!  Had a crazy day getting prepared for our vacation.  I had to take my daughter to a class, pick up a friend of hers, take my mom to her Physical therapist, come home and pack, iron and pack some more!  I felt like I'd never get down here (we live an hour away from where we keep our boat docked)  But we did get here- it was just about to pour and we had two huge cartloads of stuff to unload.  My husband said that I have made the boat unbalanced because I packed too much clothes! lol 

I'm really relaxed now that we're here.  I brought down my weights, jumprope, running shoes, bike (boat bike) and a bunch of workout clothes.  Oh and my swimsuit because there are lots of Olympic size pools to swim at the marina's and resorts we'll be staying at.   I even got to do my upper body workout tonight while my hubby did the grocery shopping!  At one point I was kind of like "what is wrong w/this picture!"  but he didn't mind because he knew how crazy my day was. 

So tommorow morning I'll get up and run-there is a nice trail nearby- and then we'll take off for our first destination at 9 a.m.  I'm excited and finally in vacation mode.  It's so hard to see that you are actually going to 'get there' when you are doing all the prep work but finally we are here!  I'll try to post some pics if I can to my profile page while we're away.   Our home marina has internet access but some of the other places do not.  I'm not planning on being on the computer much though!  I'm looking forward to the beach and reading some good books and keeping up with my training and visiting with our good friends who are traveling with us. 

Praying for good weather- not much fun traveling when whitecaps are out in the Gulf!  Christine

I've got it changed.

Glad you made it to your vacation spot and are starting to enjoy.  Great way to plan for your training, too, while you're away.  Yeah, you better not be on the computer hardly at all!  *shakes fist*. 

Now, go have fun and relax!

2009-06-03 12:17 PM
in reply to: #2191090

Master
Loveland, Ohio
mekira - 2009-06-03 5:59 AM Hi everyone If you look at my training log, you'll notice a lot of 'home improvement' workouts LOL We are now at the painting stage and the ceramic tile stage. I move next Tuesday but the new house will not be ready unfortunatly. I'll be living in a construction zone for a week or two.... I'm still planning on doing the June tri even though my training volume is very low. I figure that all the training I did throughout the winter will get me through it. This week I'm concentrating on running (I can't get to the pool at night nor can I take the time for a long bike ride). Tonight, home stuff Thursday : run Friday : more home stuff Saturday : swimming and brick training (I insisted that I keep this training) Sunday : not sure yet Next week should be a bit better. I'm a bit nervous about the tri but like I said, I should be ok. I can swim 750m, I can bike 20k and I can run 5k, now I have to do them all one after the other.... yikes!!! Patricia

When we moved last year, I had a TON of home improvement hours on my Training Log, too!  I stopped logging it all because that big, tall tower of red made my SBR workouts look like lines instead of blocks on that chart!  Ha ha.

Yeah, get in a couple bricks between now and then and you'll be fine.  Your race is on June 20th, right?
2009-06-03 12:29 PM
in reply to: #2191691

Master
Loveland, Ohio
LadyNorth - 2009-06-03 11:04 AM I FOUND GOGGLES THAT FIT!!!  I've been thru 6-7 pairs of goggles and nothing fits well - they all leak.  I had settled for a pair of Dolphins which worked the best.  Then I tried some TYR Tracers this week and they fit beautifully.  I knew they were going to work well because when I held them against my eyes, they suctioned without the straps holding them on.  Thought I'd pass this info on even tho I know goggle fit is an individual thing.

Keep up the hard work ladies.
Denise

What a relief you must feel!  I was extremely lucky.  I went to Dick's, found a pair (Speedo Vanquisher) and they just worked.  Many, many people struggle finding that perfect pair and I'm so glad to hear that you did!

That's a great tip about holding the goggles against your eyes to see if they suck without the straps!  Thanks, Denise!
2009-06-03 1:24 PM
in reply to: #2191090

Master
On a lake in the Adirondacks in NY

mekira - 2009-06-03 5:59 AM Hi everyone If you look at my training log, you'll notice a lot of 'home improvement' workouts LOL We are now at the painting stage and the ceramic tile stage. I move next Tuesday but the new house will not be ready unfortunatly. I'll be living in a construction zone for a week or two.... I'm still planning on doing the June tri even though my training volume is very low. I figure that all the training I did throughout the winter will get me through it. This week I'm concentrating on running (I can't get to the pool at night nor can I take the time for a long bike ride). Tonight, home stuff Thursday : run Friday : more home stuff Saturday : swimming and brick training (I insisted that I keep this training) Sunday : not sure yet Next week should be a bit better. I'm a bit nervous about the tri but like I said, I should be ok. I can swim 750m, I can bike 20k and I can run 5k, now I have to do them all one after the other.... yikes!!! Patricia

We sure know how to pile it all on at once, don't we? Undecided

My training has been slipping lately too, so I'm hoping you do just fine so I'll know I can get through my tri the week after yours.  Like you said, we can do all the pieces, and I'm sure with the help of some race-day adreniline we'll be able to put them together.

Have fun with the rest of the painting and tiling!  It will be beautiful when it's done.

2009-06-03 1:38 PM

Master
Loveland, Ohio
HERE ARE THE TEAMS!

TEAM A:
Denise (LadyNorth)
Megan (bluwatersoul)
Lisa (lkc01234)
Sharie (ranchrunner)

TEAM B:
Mary Sue (myoun)
Janet (soccermom15)
Shannon (sleeping_butterflies)
Sue (fantom8588)

TEAM C:
Debbie (serendipity)
Patricia (mekira)
Kami (freeflykami)
Christine (ChrisFL)

I'll let you guys come up with the team names.  I just used the letters as placeholders.  Let's go!!!
2009-06-03 3:02 PM

Veteran
Northern VA
Subject: I did it!
I went on a solo bike ride somewhere besides my neighborhood! Woohoo! and it wasn't bad at all.  I actually kind of liked it ;0)

Now I just need to get to work on the challange...
Kami

2009-06-03 3:17 PM
in reply to: #2192858

Master
Subject: RE: I did it!
freeflykami - 2009-06-03 4:02 PM I went on a solo bike ride somewhere besides my neighborhood! Woohoo! and it wasn't bad at all.  I actually kind of liked it ;0)

Kami

That's great!  Now, since you can do it, maybe I can! 
2009-06-03 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2192464

Master
Lora109 - 2009-06-03 2:38 PM HERE ARE THE TEAMS!

TEAM A:
Denise (LadyNorth)
Megan (bluwatersoul)
Lisa (lkc01234)
Sharie (ranchrunner)

TEAM B:
Mary Sue (myoun)
Janet (soccermom15)
Shannon (sleeping_butterflies)
Sue (fantom8588)

TEAM C:
Debbie (serendipity)
Patricia (mekira)
Kami (freeflykami)
Christine (ChrisFL)

I'll let you guys come up with the team names.  I just used the letters as placeholders.  Let's go!!!

Since it's for June and July, should we have some kind of theme to our team names?  Like all summer-related things, or Independence Day, or something? 
2009-06-03 3:32 PM

Elite
Puyallup, WA
freeflykami - 2009-06-03 3:02 PM I went on a solo bike ride somewhere besides my neighborhood! Woohoo! and it wasn't bad at all.  I actually kind of liked it ;0)

Kami

I'm not trying to deminish your fears, but I've never really had a problem biking around.  This weekend I was a little hesitant to go on a busy road, but it was fine.  Does it make you more comfortable if you have your cell phone?  Maybe I'm just used to doing everything on my own that I don't even have another choice?!!??

But glad you could!  Something I always found interesting when I ride around is that things always seem closer than they are when I drive...like - thats all the time it took to get here???
2009-06-03 5:47 PM

Master
Loveland, Ohio
freeflykami - 2009-06-03 4:02 PM I went on a solo bike ride somewhere besides my neighborhood! Woohoo! and it wasn't bad at all.  I actually kind of liked it ;0)

Kami

Kami, that's great!  It can be a little intimidating at first - you can feel so exposed - but after a while it's not too bad.  Really glad that you enjoyed it.  Enjoying this stuff is THE key, as far as I'm concerned.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 36