BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Super Cats Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2009-05-12 11:44 PM
in reply to: #2147361

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: RE: Super Cats Mentor Group - CLOSED

d2lock - 2009-05-13 1:38 PM Hey peeps; sorry I've been MIA lately.  Every day is a fire drill at work lately.  Our auditors have been on site since last October and still have not completed their work, which means that I need to be there for about 12-14 hours a day to answer questions, provide supporting documents, and review financial statements.  Good news is there is apparently an end in site and I should be back and more involved by the end of the month.  Until then, I will probably be quietly logging in my blog section, keeping up with the May swim challenge, and getting caught up with our mentor group thread and checking in workouts over the weekends.

Hang in there and check in when you can. Work sounds completely insane! Hope you are getting through it ok.. that is a LONG time to be stck on one project!

2009-05-13 7:40 AM
in reply to: #2122099

El Flaco - 2009-04-30 6:48 PM

What was the funniest, strangest, wierdest, craziest thing you have ever witnessed during a race or training session?

This made me laugh. Mine is probably either: a) Man in chicken suit, running a 10k with a cigarette in one hand and a beer in the other. or b) two women running same race in nothing but g-strings and pasties with full red white and blue body paint.

People get a little crazy for the Peachtree Road Race here in Atlanta.
2009-05-13 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2137608

The Swim
How do i know how fast i will be in an open water swim? I am hoping to try one before race day, but if not, is there a way to figure it out based on pool times? (I am assuming i will be a good amount slower.)

Should i wear my goggles inside my cap? I have heard this, but was wondering about peoples' thoughts on it.

The Bike

Dont forget that there is a drafting rule... so you have to be a distance of 3 bike lengths behind the cyclist in front which makes crashing VERY unlikely because the only time you are all close is when you are passing. So dont worry about it!!!

Not that i think i am going to be passing people left and right (in fact, my fear is that I will be ahead of many after the swim and then get dejected at the number of folks who pass me on the bike and especially on the run.  But if I do want to pass someone, is there a speed I should do it? Or can I gradually pass them? Do i give them an "on your left" or "passing?"

The Run
Oh... and its perfectly acceptable to pick up the pace when you see the finish line!!! Dont forget to smile for the cameras!

I fully intend to haul a** the last quarter of a mile.

Finally... The BIG QUESTION: What am I going to wear?

Well what do you have?

I really don't have anything specific fro TRI. I hesitate to buy a trisuit unless i really like it. (I mean, where else are you gonna wear one of those?)

I think I will probably wear sports bra (definitely a necessity for me and my girls), under my Speedo for swim. Then, hat, sunglasses, shorts (something quick dry, like Umbro material?) and a wicking shirt of some sort. Will just do running shoes for the bike, as i don't have clipless pedals. (Actually, this is good. one less thing for me to worry about setting up in transition.) Helmet, obviously.

Is there a good checklist on BT? Will I want a water bottle for the bike? 

Thanks for all the help!

2009-05-13 3:32 PM
in reply to: #2072951

Okay, this may never happen again, but I am caught up with all of these posts.

Things are going well for me. I have four weeks until my first Triathlon! I feel pretty strong and ready. Just need to eat well and stay with my plan.

Also need to do a dry run of my outfit, get my checklist of things together for the race, etc.

This week was kind of  alot for me, but it was great to do the workouts and finish them and know I could do it.

Thanks for all of your comments - I learned a lot just reading through the posts. Hopefully, i will never get 30 pages behind again. :-)

2009-05-13 7:10 PM
in reply to: #2149057

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
Which Tri are you doing DogwoodGirl? How has your training been? 
2009-05-13 8:03 PM
in reply to: #2148650

User image

Champion
Sydney

DogwoodGirl - 2009-05-14 4:18 AM The Swim
How do i know how fast i will be in an open water swim? I am hoping to try one before race day, but if not, is there a way to figure it out based on pool times? (I am assuming i will be a good amount slower.)

Should i wear my goggles inside my cap? I have heard this, but was wondering about peoples' thoughts on it.

The Bike

Dont forget that there is a drafting rule... so you have to be a distance of 3 bike lengths behind the cyclist in front which makes crashing VERY unlikely because the only time you are all close is when you are passing. So dont worry about it!!!

Not that i think i am going to be passing people left and right (in fact, my fear is that I will be ahead of many after the swim and then get dejected at the number of folks who pass me on the bike and especially on the run.  But if I do want to pass someone, is there a speed I should do it? Or can I gradually pass them? Do i give them an "on your left" or "passing?"

The Run
Oh... and its perfectly acceptable to pick up the pace when you see the finish line!!! Dont forget to smile for the cameras!

I fully intend to haul a** the last quarter of a mile.

Finally... The BIG QUESTION: What am I going to wear?

Well what do you have?

I really don't have anything specific fro TRI. I hesitate to buy a trisuit unless i really like it. (I mean, where else are you gonna wear one of those?)

I think I will probably wear sports bra (definitely a necessity for me and my girls), under my Speedo for swim. Then, hat, sunglasses, shorts (something quick dry, like Umbro material?) and a wicking shirt of some sort. Will just do running shoes for the bike, as i don't have clipless pedals. (Actually, this is good. one less thing for me to worry about setting up in transition.) Helmet, obviously.

Thanks for all the help!

You are going great!!!

Let me try and answer your new questions:

if I do want to pass someone, is there a speed I should do it? Or can I gradually pass them? Do i give them an "on your left" or "passing?"

You have 15seconds (around to pass someone)... what yuo do it when you get within their draft zone (that 3 bike legnth distance I mentioned) you first look over your shoulder to check there is no one on your outside trying to pass you... you then pull outside them and pass before pulling back infront of the person.

It is the person who has BEEN passeds job to then drop back out of your draft zone after being passed (same applies if you are passed its your job to drop back).

The idea with this is that if your goggles get knocked off they are still attached so you wont lose them... smart thinking... however I dont do it!!! Im used to swimming with them over the top so I stick with that... maybe try it and see what you like best?

Yes there are some great checklists under the articles on BT. I might also have the one I wrote for our tri girls at the beginning of this year... will post it up if I can find it.

Yes!!! Have a water bottle on your bike (you never know when yuo will want it). Also have a spare one in transition just in case! It can also be good for cleaning yuor feet off if they get icky running from the swim to transition.

If i missed anything let me know

Cat

2009-05-13 8:14 PM
in reply to: #2149414

It's a beginner "First Triathlon" at Lake Lanier, GA. .25 mile swim/12 mi bike/3 mi run. So, very doable. Training is going well. No injuries, able to finish things strong. Thanks for asking!
2009-05-13 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2149514

User image

Champion
Sydney

DogwoodGirl - 2009-05-14 11:14 AM It's a beginner "First Triathlon" at Lake Lanier, GA. .25 mile swim/12 mi bike/3 mi run. So, very doable. Training is going well. No injuries, able to finish things strong. Thanks for asking!

You sound so positive!!! Thats excellent!

2009-05-13 9:49 PM
in reply to: #2149581

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
Sounds great! Happy training for the next month and have a great race![
DogwoodGirl - 2009-05-14 11:14 AM It's a beginner "First Triathlon" at Lake Lanier, GA. .25 mile swim/12 mi bike/3 mi run. So, very doable. Training is going well. No injuries, able to finish things strong. Thanks for asking!
<
2009-05-13 10:00 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Ok... here is a list I wrote in January for our Tri girls doing their first race of what they would need.... its pretty exhaustive but Im pretty sure I made over personal adjustments to the list... cant remember what!!!

Race Day Checklist

Pre Race:

Comfortable Clothes (to wear while your race gear is in the transition area i.e couple of shirts, loose shorts/trousers etc)

Shoes/Thongs

Water – approx 3 litres

Digital Camera

Sunscreen

Spare Hat

Spare Sunglasses

ID (for registration)

Snack: Muesli Bar/Sandwich (if you are going to be waiting awhile before your race – if possible make sure its something you CAN stomach before a workout. Ideas include Snakes + Gatorade/Electrolyte, Vegemite + Lettuce Sandwich)

Swim:

Goggles

Swimsuit (wear it)

Bra (wear it)

Bright Coloured Towel (in transition area so its easy to spot)

Sports Watch (if wearing)

Bike:

Bike

Helmet

Shoes

Socks (if wearing them)

Shorts

SBS Singlet

Sunglasses

Water Bottle

Multi Tool (if reassembling bike)

Pump

Run

Cap

Water Bottle

Spare socks (if required)

Running Shoes (if changing)

Post Race

Change of comfortable clothes (including underwear!)

Spare Towel

Water/Sports Drink (some will be supplied by the race organisers but you may want additional supplies especially if hanging around)

Snack: Whatever you fancy after your race (there is a small kiosk onsite)

Rules:

·       No ipods/mp3 players

·       Have your helmet on your head and done up before touching your bike

·       Do not remove your helmet until after your bike is racked

·       Do not hop on your bike until you pass the mount line

·       Hop off your bike at the dismount line at the end of the bike leg

·       On the bike leave 3 bike lengths between you and the person in front

·       Over take riders on the right

·       No outside assistance: You must have everything you need for the race in the transition area. You cannot take anything from spectators or other competitors.

Other Things that might help:

·       HAVE FUN!

·       Smile for the cameras

·       Thank volunteers

·       Encourage other competitors

·       Drink plenty of water – pouring it over your head will keep you cool

·       If you finish and there are others still out on the course go cheer them on

Race Day tips:

- Try to eat a normal breakfast you are used to eating

- Don’t worry if you have trouble sleeping the night before, its normal and wont affect your day

- Don’t forget to breathe

- Just keep moving forward

- Start the race out slowly and see how you go

- HAVE FUN!!!

2009-05-13 10:02 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Ooops - just one thing... I say overtake riders on the 'right' but we ride on the opposite side of the road to you guys so any traffic type stuff yuo need to translate to the opposuite side!

2009-05-14 12:30 AM

My knee didnt allow me to run today, but im glad I took the day off from the impact cause know it feels alot better.
2009-05-14 12:47 AM
in reply to: #2149791

User image

Champion
Sydney

patchadams - 2009-05-14 3:30 PM My knee didnt allow me to run today, but im glad I took the day off from the impact cause know it feels alot better.

Smart move patch! Sounds like you are doing exctly the right thing!

2009-05-14 7:21 AM
in reply to: #2149581

kaqphin - 2009-05-13 10:05 PM

You sound so positive!!! Thats excellent!

I am pretty positive. I KNOW i can do the distances, so that variable of fear is out.
You know, I've wanted to do one for so long, that I have been swimming and running forever. The bike is the only scary part for me. Mostly nervous I'll have a flat or something like that. I know HOW to change one, have done it, will have the stuff with me etc., but would be really bummed if that happened. Also, my bike is pretty ancient, and I foresee it falling apart at some point in the future and well, you know, Murphy's Law.
2009-05-14 7:26 AM

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
Thanks for the checklist Super Cat!

I edited the passing part and added it to my Tri folder.

The only thing that is still a huge mystery to me is transitions can you address that a bit?

Edited by losta 2009-05-14 7:27 AM
2009-05-14 7:27 AM
in reply to: #2149666

Thanks. The checklist is hugely helpful! Except for the vegemite, which would not fall into the category of something I would normally eat first thing in the morning before a workout. :-)

2009-05-14 7:33 AM
in reply to: #2150022

User image

Champion
Sydney

DogwoodGirl - 2009-05-14 10:27 PM Thanks. The checklist is hugely helpful! Except for the vegemite, which would not fall into the category of something I would normally eat first thing in the morning before a workout. :-)

Me either...that one doesnt appeal to me at all!!! Im more a toast girl!!!

2009-05-14 7:34 AM
in reply to: #2150018

User image

Champion
Sydney

losta - 2009-05-14 10:26 PM Thanks for the checklist Super Cat!

I edited the passing part and added it to my Tri folder.

The only thing that is still a huge mystery to me is transitions can you address that a bit?

Oh yes!!! Will right something up later inthe day (morning for me) when Im less tired

2009-05-14 7:42 AM
in reply to: #2149791

Patch, sometimes a day off really improves my workouts the rest of the week.
2009-05-14 10:59 AM
in reply to: #2149666

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
Listen, I know that I'm racing as a Clydesdale but you don't have to rub it in and require me to wear a bra too, do you?  Tongue out

kaqphin - 2009-05-13 11:00 PM

Bra (wear it)

Thanks for the list!  It is really helpful.  I hear what Dogwood Girl is saying, except I need to learn how to change a flat.  I assume you learn by doing so I need to experiment on my own bike.  Doing so should be interesting then...

I hope everyone's training is going well or goes well today!

2009-05-14 11:06 AM
in reply to: #2150621

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
I just picked up a flyer the other day in NYC that was about May being bike month, listing rides and bike clinics. I think there are a few bike maintenance clinics, I'll have a look and let you know.
Sulcus - 2009-05-14 11:59 AMListen, I know that I'm racing as a Clydesdale but you don't have to rub it in and require me to wear a bra too, do you?  Tongue out

Bra (wear it)

Thanks for the list!  It is really helpful.  I hear what Dogwood Girl is saying, except I need to learn how to change a flat.  I assume you learn by doing so I need to experiment on my own bike.  Doing so should be interesting then...

2009-05-14 12:10 PM
in reply to: #2150638

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
losta - 2009-05-14 12:06 PM I just picked up a flyer the other day in NYC that was about May being bike month, listing rides and bike clinics. I think there are a few bike maintenance clinics, I'll have a look and let you know.
Sulcus - 2009-05-14 11:59 AMListen, I know that I'm racing as a Clydesdale but you don't have to rub it in and require me to wear a bra too, do you?  Tongue out

Bra (wear it)

I'd appreciate it!  I did a quick search but most of the stuff I found wouldn't work too great for my timeframe.  I wish I had thought of this earlier!

Speaking of the bike, this is going to sound like a silly question but you all humor me so that I can ask it:

Since I am using good old fashioned running sneaker and pedals on my bike, where exactly should the contact point with my feet be?  I can't find a good answer anywhere...is it the ball, like I've been thinking, or somewhere else?

A not so silly question is after an hour long bike ride, I tried a short jog to see how my legs would react and my calf cramped uncotrollably.  I think it was a dehydration issue because I tend to sweat alot and only drank 1/3rd of a bottle of water.  What do most of you take in during an hour long bike ride in terms of fluid?

Thanks everyone for dealing with me. 
2009-05-14 1:08 PM
in reply to: #2150824

User image

Master

Speaking of the bike, this is going to sound like a silly question but you all humor me so that I can ask it:

Since I am using good old fashioned running sneaker and pedals on my bike, where exactly should the contact point with my feet be?  I can't find a good answer anywhere...is it the ball, like I've been thinking, or somewhere else?

A not so silly question is after an hour long bike ride, I tried a short jog to see how my legs would react and my calf cramped uncotrollably.  I think it was a dehydration issue because I tend to sweat alot and only drank 1/3rd of a bottle of water.  What do most of you take in during an hour long bike ride in terms of fluid?

Thanks everyone for dealing with me. 

I use only water in moderate temps for an hour ride.  If I know it's going to be longer, I'll take along some Gatorade or the like to get a few calories along with sodium and potassium.  If I know I'm doing a brick, I'll drink a little extra because I don't like to carry anything when I run.  There is a fine line there, because you don't want a sloshy stomach either. 

Edited by crews 2009-05-14 1:08 PM
2009-05-14 1:17 PM

My calf also tenses up when I run after the bike. I think it is normal for bricks. Usually, i just walk the cramp off.
2009-05-14 5:36 PM

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
Here's a link
http://bikemonthnyc.org/events_calendar
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Super Cats Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 58