BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2010-07-10 12:46 PM
in reply to: #2971700

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Subject: RE: jsnowash's training group - FULL!!
dojorun01 - 2010-07-09 6:04 PM

Henderson Harbor Triathlon tomorrow. Very nervous and excited. Hope my nerves don't take over and I don't over analyze things.

Best wishes! All that nervousness transforms to performance the day off. 

2010-07-10 12:51 PM
in reply to: #2773064

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Out of town. This week will be spinning and hope to find a place to swim. Will probably concentrate on running. Today I tried again to run in the heat. Index at 98 in beautiful South Florida. Was planning for 6.5 miles but started hallucinating after 5 miles, so I listened to the voices and stopped after 5.2. Long way to go with this heat training business.
To all those soccer fans out there: Enjoy the weekend, should be great!.
The talk here is all about LeBron! 
2010-07-10 1:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Ok, I have a 5K tomorrow and my last run and workout was on Monday. Due to work schedule, weather and work hours I haven't had a chance to do anything. Too tired at night to even get on my treadmill.

I wanted a PR (best 5K was 36:16) but with lack of training I don't think I will make it.

I do plan to have fun as my whole womens running group is doing it.

Lovey
2010-07-10 3:59 PM

Veteran
Outside B'more
Lovey - What 5K are you doing tomorrow?? I've got one also that is the completion of my No Boundaries 5K program. I did the program last year but did it this year just to work on my speed. I haven't had a really good 5K race to determine a PR. My last 5K was Halloween and it was post-surgery so it was really slow and finish in 44 min and some.....think the 5K at Rumpass in Bumpass I did in 43 min so I'm hoping for closer to 35-37 minutes on this one. I'm also biking the BWI trail after the race tomorrow if you're interested, a couple of loops and I'm working on my pace but I'm usually between 10-12 mph too if you ever want to go riding together before Irongirl. I know they're repaving some of the roads in HoCo so I've got to work on the hills in my neighborhood, figure if I can master those and get off my seat getting up hill then IG should be no problem!

Master's swim starts back up this week and my pool re-opens after being closed all week for cleaning. I did get an OWS in last Monday with my mother and some friends. We did some drills and I had some stroke pointers for my mother, who has never had a lesson in her life. She'll have no problems for her ocean swim in her first triathlon. She's been a kayaker and windsurfer since I was little so she doesn't have that fear of water that many of us "regular" folk have. LOL

After tomorrow's 5K I've got the Pittsburgh Sprint Triathlon August 1st then Irongirl August 22nd and I'll be looking to sign up for Timberman next year!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
2010-07-11 5:03 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Hey all,

Sorry I've been a bit AWOL lately - things have busy around our house! My kids are all off to summer camp for a week later today. I should be able to get lots of training in next week!

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!
2010-07-11 4:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
My 5K today- 36:16
Howard County Striders Women's Distance Festival 5K

I ate my usual PB toast and water as I thought about how hot the race will be. Did a one-third mile warm-up and was panting. I hadn’t ran in a week or done any type of work out. I was going to do my best and try not to go over 40 minuts. I put in pace alerts in my Garmin and it kept beeping to speed up or slow down the whole time. It was driving me crazy. I ran mile 1 at a 10.4 min pace and I was shocked. I figured I needed to slow down a little because I can’t maintain that. My fastest 5K in was back in May and I did the same time today. Maybe if I didn’t take a week off I would have PR’d but I was still happy with my time. At least I didn’t regress in my training. Aftewrwards, I walked, stretched, grab some food, got a massage and sat down for the random prizes I never win.

Lovey

Edited by Lovey 2010-07-11 4:59 PM

2010-07-12 4:54 AM
in reply to: #2973772

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Congrats, Lovey! Most people are slower in hot weather, so my guess is that if it had been cooler, you would have broken that 5K PR. Maybe the week off left you well rested so you could push yourself a little bit during the race. Nice job!
2010-07-13 1:33 PM

Veteran
Outside B'more
Pikesville 5K - 39:37

New PR for 5Ks, although I haven't ran one since Halloween '09 and that was 44:21 a couple of weeks after laparoscopic surgery....it was a little humid but not too bad. I was aiming for around 37 minutes but I came in under 40 min so I'm very happy. I just want to keep up that pace but for longer distance to get a PR this fall at the Baltimore Half Marathon.

Went for a 25 mile bike ride after that. Kept my cadence low and in a harder gear for the first 12 miles then my legs started getting fatigued so I'd switch it back and forth for comfort but still trying to push it. Felt great when I was done!
2010-07-14 5:56 AM
in reply to: #2978188

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
KiwiJDRPH - 2010-07-13 2:33 PM

Pikesville 5K - 39:37

New PR for 5Ks, although I haven't ran one since Halloween '09 and that was 44:21 a couple of weeks after laparoscopic surgery....it was a little humid but not too bad. I was aiming for around 37 minutes but I came in under 40 min so I'm very happy. I just want to keep up that pace but for longer distance to get a PR this fall at the Baltimore Half Marathon.

Went for a 25 mile bike ride after that. Kept my cadence low and in a harder gear for the first 12 miles then my legs started getting fatigued so I'd switch it back and forth for comfort but still trying to push it. Felt great when I was done!

Congrats, Kiwi!!
2010-07-14 6:01 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
So, how's training going for everyone?

It's quiet around our house this week with all the kids off at camp. I can get lots of training in this week, though, on whatever schedule I want!

I'm feeling a little melancholy this week, though..... This week marks 2 years since I lost my big brother to colon cancer, so he and his family are on my mind a lot this week. I feel so bad for my SIL and nieces & nephew - he was such a big presence in their life and they miss him so much. It breaks my heart that he won't get to see what great kids they're growing up to be....

Okay - sorry for the downer post - just what's on my mind today.

Keep up the good work out there, everyone!
2010-07-14 9:53 AM
in reply to: #2979412

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Now that my hubby’s schedule is on a very short break, I can get back to a somewhat normal workout schedule.
Yesterday morning at 6am I started back swimming with my group 2x a week and I will add 1 or 2 more swim session on my own to focus on endurance.

Yesterday evening at 6:30pm I also started a half marathon training program with my running club. We had to do a 2 mile time trial. I was feeling exhausted all day from swimming that am and it was really hot and humid too. I couldn’t get my HR down. I got side stitches that I normally run and breathe thru but I couldn’t last night. I had to take a 30 second walk break at mile one to breath and stretch it out. Normally I lose my momentum and can’t get my pace back but I had two people in the back of the pack with me and with them I was able to keep my original pace. I clocked the 2 mile TT at 24:45 (12:23 pace). Followed up the TT with a one mile cool down at a 14 min pace. My fastest race pace has been 11:42 min/mile but the coaches didn’t want you to go all out but they didn’t want you to slow jog either. Going too fast will place you in a group that you may not be able to keep up with and going too slow might place you in a group that is so slow you won’t get any benefit.

No races this month. While I have to keep up my running for my run-heavy fall schedule (half and metric marathons), I am focusing on swimming. My biking will have to be managed at 2x a week and I may do short rides in the week with my kids.

My next big event is the Iron Girl practice swim on July 30th in the lake. The race swim course is 1100 yards and I need to be able to go the distance comfortable and at a reasonable pace at the practice. I am super slow so right now in the pool to takes me 45 minutes to do 1000 yards. I hope I can get better swimming 3-4 a week for the next 3 weeks. I don’t expect miracles but some improvement will be better than none.

Sorry, long post.

Lovey

2010-07-14 10:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
jsnowash - 2010-07-14 7:01 AM So, how's training going for everyone? It's quiet around our house this week with all the kids off at camp. I can get lots of training in this week, though, on whatever schedule I want! I'm feeling a little melancholy this week, though..... This week marks 2 years since I lost my big brother to colon cancer, so he and his family are on my mind a lot this week. I feel so bad for my SIL and nieces & nephew - he was such a big presence in their life and they miss him so much. It breaks my heart that he won't get to see what great kids they're growing up to be.... Okay - sorry for the downer post - just what's on my mind today. Keep up the good work out there, everyone!

Real sorry to hear that Frown
Still out of town. Unable to swim. Running is just OK. Biking occasionally at gym. It's good this is my light recovery week, but I feel guilty. Diet has been pretty bad.
1 month away from first Oly and nervous that I'm not training hard enough!  
2010-07-14 12:08 PM

User image

Veteran
jsnowash - 2010-07-15 4:01 AM So, how's training going for everyone? It's quiet around our house this week with all the kids off at camp. I can get lots of training in this week, though, on whatever schedule I want! I'm feeling a little melancholy this week, though..... This week marks 2 years since I lost my big brother to colon cancer, so he and his family are on my mind a lot this week. I feel so bad for my SIL and nieces & nephew - he was such a big presence in their life and they miss him so much. It breaks my heart that he won't get to see what great kids they're growing up to be.... Okay - sorry for the downer post - just what's on my mind today. Keep up the good work out there, everyone!

Sorry to hear that Jenny, keep moving forward.

On the upside (downside) a new bet at work,....6 pack by December. I hope I can do it. I am just inside the overweight section on my BMI.  We will see how it goes. Tri coming up in Sept. working on the training and trying to get to the pool.
2010-07-14 12:51 PM

User image

Hi Jenny-
So sorry for your loss. I lost my younger brother to Lou Gehrig's Disease almost 10 years ago. I think about him everyday. My other brother is battling a very rare lung cancer. He was a triathlete who never smoked etc. Sometimes life can be so unfair. I think about how many lives my brother touched and it makes it a bit easier. It sounds like your brother touched many lives as well. Hang in there and enjoy your family!
2010-07-14 1:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
jsnowash - 2010-07-14 7:01 AM

So, how's training going for everyone?

It's quiet around our house this week with all the kids off at camp. I can get lots of training in this week, though, on whatever schedule I want!

I'm feeling a little melancholy this week, though..... This week marks 2 years since I lost my big brother to colon cancer, so he and his family are on my mind a lot this week. I feel so bad for my SIL and nieces & nephew - he was such a big presence in their life and they miss him so much. It breaks my heart that he won't get to see what great kids they're growing up to be....

Okay - sorry for the downer post - just what's on my mind today.

Keep up the good work out there, everyone!

sorry for what you are going thru now. Its almost a year since I lost my grandmother. Yes, she was old and sick but she was the one who raised me and who I called "Mama". I was her graddaughter but also her unofficial adopted daughter. I will keep you and your family in my prayers and hope your brother is watching his family with a big smile on his face.

Lovey
2010-07-14 3:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Treadmill tempo run this afternoon. 5k PR, but L quad sore.... Listen to your body, it doesn't lie!.
Just trying to wash away beer guilt from last night.

2010-07-14 10:42 PM

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
jsnowash - 2010-07-14 6:01 AM So, how's training going for everyone? It's quiet around our house this week with all the kids off at camp. I can get lots of training in this week, though, on whatever schedule I want! I'm feeling a little melancholy this week, though..... This week marks 2 years since I lost my big brother to colon cancer, so he and his family are on my mind a lot this week. I feel so bad for my SIL and nieces & nephew - he was such a big presence in their life and they miss him so much. It breaks my heart that he won't get to see what great kids they're growing up to be.... Okay - sorry for the downer post - just what's on my mind today. Keep up the good work out there, everyone!

It's been going okay.  My rides have been really good but my swims have been off.  My runs are somewhere in between.  I have my 2nd tri on Sunday but my first open water swim.  I was hoping to get some swims in the lake near the house but the beach is closed because something has "high levels" and who knows when they'll go down.  So I guess it's on the job training for me on Sunday.  We're traveling to Kansas City tomorrow night and we'll be there till Saturday then driving to Park Hills, MO where the tri is at.  Going to try to squeeze in a couple of easy workouts before Sunday. 

Sorry for the loss.  Hope the week goes well for you.
2010-07-16 4:50 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Thanks for the positive thoughts, everyone....

Kieren - I knew you mentioned you lost your brother to ALS - I had no idea you had another brother fighting cancer. I hope everything is going okay for him.....

I've had a killer week of training with my kids away at camp this week. I did my first 2500 yard swim workout in well over a year last night. I just can't seem to get longer swim sessions done when I'm at the pool with the kids. Even though they are all good swimmers and independent at the pool now, someone always shows up at the lap pool within about 15 minutes and my swim is pretty much over....

I'll be picking my girls up from their camp later this afternoon, and my son gets home from scout camp mid-day tomorrow. Training next week will be significantly less, I'm sure, with the kids home and getting ready to leave for a week at the beach.

So, is anybody racing this weekend??
2010-07-16 8:30 AM

Veteran
Outside B'more
Not racing this weekend. Started Master's Swim back up Wednesday night and got my butt kicked!! LOL! So tonight I'll work on my stroke and trying to see if I can speed up a little bit. Tomorrow I'm doing a 30+ bike ride with some friends and that's it. I've got NOTHING planned this weekend and am happy about it! No more races until August, two sprint tris that month plus my mother is doing her first full sprint triathlon up in Maine. She did the bike portion of a relay last year and decided she wanted to try the full race this year. I'm excited for her!

Apparently we had an earthquake here in Maryland this morning. Near the DC area and 3.6 I believe...I didn't feel a thing, but I can sleep through anything. A lot of friends and co-workers felt it and it was short...interesting though!

Tonight my tri-club is having a happy hour at a running store where we get 15% off merchandise plus if you're a VIP member of the store you get another 10% off...think I might be buying me that Garmin tonight!! LOL

Have a great weekend everyone!
2010-07-16 8:32 AM
in reply to: #2984443

User image

jsnowash - 2010-07-16 5:50 AM Thanks for the positive thoughts, everyone.... Kieren - I knew you mentioned you lost your brother to ALS - I had no idea you had another brother fighting cancer. I hope everything is going okay for him..... I've had a killer week of training with my kids away at camp this week. I did my first 2500 yard swim workout in well over a year last night. I just can't seem to get longer swim sessions done when I'm at the pool with the kids. Even though they are all good swimmers and independent at the pool now, someone always shows up at the lap pool within about 15 minutes and my swim is pretty much over.... I'll be picking my girls up from their camp later this afternoon, and my son gets home from scout camp mid-day tomorrow. Training next week will be significantly less, I'm sure, with the kids home and getting ready to leave for a week at the beach. So, is anybody racing this weekend??

Hi Jenny,
Thanks for the good thoughts! Yes, my brother has a very rare form of lung cancer that has affected other areas as well. He has had several surgeries, chemo and radiation. Amazing for a guy who has never smoked and always had an incredibly healthy lifestyle. He's an accomplished runner and triathlete. He helped me train until his last bout and cheers me on at every race. 

I remember those hectic days when my 3 were little--enjoy! I miss them now that they're young adults. 2500 yards is a nice workout, congrats! I had all intentions of a nice long swim and pool was closed due to lightning (it's indoors)? On the bright side (?) I just got laid off and have plenty of time to train. 

I'm getting fairly proficient with my clipless system and find my biking to be about 2 mi. per hour faster. I have a tri next weekend (NJ State) and it is supposed to be 100 degrees! Ugh.

2010-07-17 5:15 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Two cool things at the gym for me this week.....

1) I'm going to be added to the schedule as a spinning instructor in the fall. I got my certification almost a year ago, and I'm looking forward to teaching! I certainly won't be making a ton of money, but I'll get a free gym membership out of it too, which makes my hubby happy (the gym I belong to is EXPENSIVE!)

2) I was running on the treadmill yesterday. An very nice older gentleman I've seen working out in the gym comes up to me and says "So THAT'S your secret." I kind of looked at him with a stupid look on my face and said something like "What's that?" and he says "Haven't you lost a lot of weight lately? I was watching you run and thought, 'Wow, what a great workout' [I was doing tempo intervals] - whatever you're doing, it's working!" TOTALLY made my day! I have lost some weight, but I'm pretty tall, and I didn't think I really looked THAT different - but I guess maybe it's enought to notice!

My girls are home from camp now. They had a great time, and want to go for two weeks next year.

2010-07-17 1:31 PM

User image

Veteran

5mi race today. It was HOT by 8AM! Had a fun though. My 11 y/o and 15y/o ran it too. A very small race. There were about 30 people total. The boys came in First and second in accordance with their age group. I got a ribbon as well (very proud). Part of it was a trail run which was different. A little shaky on the footing in some parts. I can see that's a bit of a learning curve. I did like powering down the little hills and using the momentum to go back up the little whoopdedoos that were there. Met some new people, and was contacted by a local running group for trail runs. I also met a friend that commited to the tri in Sept. So that's good, I won't feel so alone out there. It was a great day overall. I started it by catching the Tour d'France start, went to our race this am and then caught the finish of the Tour...awsome day. What a great turn around from nausea/ and the other end all night. Another drug free day in paradise. Yea ME. Life works if you work at it.

2010-07-17 3:39 PM

Ride for the Rescue took place today. My husband and I rode a very tough 47.5 miles, most of this ride consisted of hills.  We got lost once ( they recently paved over the markers).  My knees started hurting after thirty miles. I was exhausted when we got back. The heat was unbearable ( 87 degrees), and humid.

I p?lan on going swimming tomorrow ( 600 meters)?.
2010-07-18 4:52 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Good job, Jeff & Dojo! Yesterday was a 35-ish mile training ride with some of my local tri training friends. I ended up as the only woman on the ride, which is always a little scary... I can hang with them on the flats, but I just don't have the strength to keep up with them on the hills. My approach to hill riding is different then most of them too, I think. They tend to hammer up the hills, then ease off and recover when it levels out. My approach is to try for a more even overall effort, so I don't hammer up the hills, like they do. It would probably be good for me to do a little hill hammering in training..... Fortunately this is a pretty nice group of guys, and they waited for me at the top of the climbs if necessary.

The kids are all home from camp now - it's nice to have everyone home!
2010-07-19 7:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
I had a disappointing training week. Not much time put in. No swim at all. Hopefully I can get back on the saddle this week.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  

of 32