BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-06-05 10:56 PM
in reply to: #3533255

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE!

JOE -

That's good, knocking off 20 miles on a new bike in a new position. And I think the neck being sorta sore goes with the territory of being virginally aero. Congrats on your new identity.

Congrats too on the Cards, and Pujol's back-to-back walk-offs were the first toime that has been done since Albert Belle in ?? (I forget what was on the screen.)

I have seen one game in Wrigley and one in Busch (the ugly cookie-cutter Busch, before the glorious new one was built. The Cubs game saw them hammer the Pirates something like 13-4, and featured two bench-emptyings. That was fun.

The Crads game was about '90 or '91 or '92, and was against Montreal, and had Bernard Gilkey hit a walk-off homer in the 10th or 11th. That was perhaps the "nicest" game I have ever attended, with helpful people all over showing m and my family where to go. No rowdiness in the crowd, and everyone very knowledgeable. Wonderful evening.

Back in '02 I saw two games in Kansas City, and it's hard to believe that those fans are from the same state as Cards fans. They were generally rowdy, bordering on surly. It was entertaining, in an edgy sort of way.

What is the Cardinals overall historical record against the Cubs? It must be about 1307-693, right?

2011-06-06 12:11 AM
in reply to: #3435045

User image

Concord

Well, in prep for the Golden Gate Tri, I had my first open water swim in the SF Bay.  It went much better than I expected.  I was nervous (I don't know why - I've been swimming since 3) so I got in the slow group.  Not long into it, I settled into a good rhythm.  The mile went by fast.  I even got a chance to drive the bike ride (It's near where I swam)  It's not as hard as some of the hills I've been riding but still quite challenging.  At least now I know which hills to focus on to prepare.  

Only down side was that in a fit of stupidity, I didn't use Body Glide around my neck... the back of my neck is tore up!  I promptly bought some for next week's open water swim and the race.

Canon

2011-06-06 6:43 AM
in reply to: #3534060

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine

stevebradley - 2011-06-05 11:43 PM MANDY - No results up yet. Argh!! (And I'm quiet smitten with Julie D., and hope she rocked it!) HURRY AND GET BACK TO US!!!

RR to come.  You girl Julie won and I even talked with her while standing in line for the bathroom - I ddin't realize it was her until she talked and then I got looking at what she was wearing and said, "Wait?  Aren't you Julie Dibens?  Don't they give you guys your own special place to pee?" ha ha  VERY nice person.  She didn't put off that Pro vibe at all, down to earth and I liked her a lot.

And I will do a write up, here is the quick and dirty:

Rev3 puts on a FANTASTIC race.  Best race I have been to hands down - holy swag too.  The course at this race is relentless.  WAY tougher than Timberman, hands down. The bike is constant rollers, but you can never get enough momentum from the downhill to get up the next uphill, and it chips away at you.  You need to be master of your gears to ride this course really smart.  I think I stayed within myself.

The run. Holy hell. Mile 2-8 is up hill.  Constant, no break, and steep.  Then the last mile is uphill too just to put one last beating on you.

6:43 for me - a 7 min PR on a tougher course, I am happy with that.

Here are my splits: 

Again, RR later!

Congrats to all who raced this weekend!!!

Mandy 

2011-06-06 6:47 AM
in reply to: #3534106

User image

Champion

CANON -

Welcome back, and nice reports on the weekend's activities. Sorry about the BodyGlide, but for most of us what happened to you is a variation of the "wetsuit hickey" theme that is a rite of passage, almost. I have suffered at least once, maybe two or three times. Oops. An advantage to DeSoto wetsuits is a low neckline that supposedly doesn't rsult in that level and location of chafing, but since gouing with DeSoto I have never done a swim without BG. And that's going back almost 8 years, so I guess I eventually DID learn to use it, always.

When is GGT? You're fortunate to have training opportunities such as that group swim. Who conducted it?

2011-06-06 7:30 AM
in reply to: #3534231

winnipeg, MB

I went to a sports store yesterday and bought one of the gels... It doesn't taste good. I'll try with other brands. Also I'm looking into buying tri shorts. I tried a few tops but I'm overweight and none of the ones they had was large enough. I'll probably will need a XL size.

Did anyone ever buy online? I saw a couple of places that sell tri clothes online and most of them have a size chart so I think it shouldn't be a problem. But would like to hear other's experience or even stores recommendation.

Sandra

2011-06-06 3:19 PM
in reply to: #3534231

User image

Concord

The Golden Gate Tri is June 26.  I have about two more weeks of hard training before I start my taper. (And two more weeks to figure out a true taper and what gels/gu/powershot to use - I've been following the conversation on that - any advice on either the taper or which Gel/Gu/Powershot people like (as well as eating/drinking plans for a sprint) would be much appreciated.)

The swim was conducted by Water World Swim: http://www.waterworldswim.com/swim_pedro.html 

I'll do one more next week, but mostly focus on getting faster on riding  hills.  This course is all hills and that and running will be my toughest parts. 

Canon

2011-06-06 5:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Hey Mandy,

Congrats on 1/2 and also on PR.  I was looking at the race website and they had the word "challenging" in both the bike and run descriptions.  That is never good.

I've heard lots of great things about REV3 races - I might have to look around for one.

Denise

2011-06-06 6:55 PM
in reply to: #3534228

User image

Champion

MANDY!

Absolutely fabulous performance, kid! And that on a course that I have heard is STILL one of the toughest around, even though they made it easier than when it first ran in '09. Can you imagine??

I will look at the splits later, which will be as soon as our dopey dial-up decides it can display that page. Grrr. Rev3 has always had a problematic website for me....and it's staying true to its history!

Good to hear that Julie is very nice, but most pros are. It really is remarkabel that way. I have found some of the non-pro elite types to be a bit prickly, but that might be because they are consumed with working hard enought o see if they have what it take sot be a pro. The pros are already there....and only have to worry about a paycheck; how hard can that be?

That's an impressive PR, and I just hope those splits materialize soon for my edification!

How's the bod feel today? Did you drive straight back to maine afterwards?

2011-06-06 6:57 PM
in reply to: #3535463

User image

Champion

CANON -

Yup, I'll do both -- gels and taper. If nothing is here within a day or two, don't hesitate to rattle my cage!

2011-06-06 6:59 PM
in reply to: #3535795

User image

Champion

DENISE -

What about Buffalo, dear? Must I go searching for it all on my own? Well then --- onwards!!

2011-06-06 7:07 PM
in reply to: #3535881

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

stevebradley - 2011-06-06 6:59 PM DENISE - What about Buffalo, dear? Must I go searching for it all on my own? Well then --- onwards!!

No. No.  I'm working on a full race report and I'll post a summary here later.

2011-06-06 7:14 PM
in reply to: #3535897

User image

Champion

DENISE -

Too late to prevent me from prowling! Been there, and it looks like a very good debut at that distance; what do you think?

And your streak is still intact -- 1/1! (Very surprised at no women in the 50s...or earlier 60s, for that matter! )

I'll say no more, and will awiat your report. I think your times look really good, though (well, T1 seemed a bit protracted, perhaps?).

2011-06-06 8:21 PM
in reply to: #3535795

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
LadyNorth - 2011-06-06 6:58 PM

Hey Mandy,

Congrats on 1/2 and also on PR.  I was looking at the race website and they had the word "challenging" in both the bike and run descriptions.  That is never good.

I've heard lots of great things about REV3 races - I might have to look around for one.

Denise

Great race.  In my Race Report I will talk more about it - but I will say this - Rev3 does it right.  They put on a top-notch event for sure. If you can get to one, DO IT!

And the course was HILLY.  WICKED HILLY.  On the run and bike.  I would say that the only flat part of that course was the swim. 

2011-06-06 8:26 PM
in reply to: #3535873

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine

stevebradley - 2011-06-06 7:55 PM MANDY! Absolutely fabulous performance, kid! And that on a course that I have heard is STILL one of the toughest around, even though they made it easier than when it first ran in '09. Can you imagine?? I will look at the splits later, which will be as soon as our dopey dial-up decides it can display that page. Grrr. Rev3 has always had a problematic website for me....and it's staying true to its history! Good to hear that Julie is very nice, but most pros are. It really is remarkabel that way. I have found some of the non-pro elite types to be a bit prickly, but that might be because they are consumed with working hard enought o see if they have what it take sot be a pro. The pros are already there....and only have to worry about a paycheck; how hard can that be? That's an impressive PR, and I just hope those splits materialize soon for my edification! How's the bod feel today? Did you drive straight back to maine afterwards?

I feel good, thanks!! I did a recovery spin on the trainer tonight.  We drove home after, 6 hours -I was pretty stiff!  

My splits were: 

Swim: 48:15

T1: 2:20

Bike: 3:38

T2: 2:13

Run: 2:14

6:43 total

RR coming!

2011-06-06 9:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Buffalo Olympic - my 1st Olympic

Overall 350/362, Females 86/95, Age group 1/1

swim: 2:37/100    bike: 16.0   run: 9:55 

What a difference a day makes.  After the race, I was very discouraged and disheartened but today all is good.  Even though I knew there weren't going to be many slow racers in the Olympic and my placement was about what I expected, it was still discouraging to be so far in the back with this number of racers.  (You noticed, Steve, there weren't any 50s or early 60s women - I think they know to stay away from this race).  Also, I finished just after the awards ceremony started, so I wasn't on the age winner list.  I went up later and asked for my prize.  That was a little disappointing especially since my husband had driven 2+ hours to see the finish.

But today I am happy with the race and my times - not great but perfectly acceptable.  The swim was slow but I had no problem with the distance - same with bike.  I was quite happy with my run because it was very hot and a big hill at mid-point.

And my record is intact: 10 triathlons, 10 1st place age group awards

Details here:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=255426

Denise

2011-06-06 9:56 PM
in reply to: #3535999

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Congrat's on your HIM Mandy.  If I remember correctly your are doing IMLP so your REV3 race should set you up well for the big upcoming IM.

manfarr1974 - 2011-06-06 9:26 PM

stevebradley - 2011-06-06 7:55 PM MANDY! Absolutely fabulous performance, kid! And that on a course that I have heard is STILL one of the toughest around, even though they made it easier than when it first ran in '09. Can you imagine?? I will look at the splits later, which will be as soon as our dopey dial-up decides it can display that page. Grrr. Rev3 has always had a problematic website for me....and it's staying true to its history! Good to hear that Julie is very nice, but most pros are. It really is remarkabel that way. I have found some of the non-pro elite types to be a bit prickly, but that might be because they are consumed with working hard enought o see if they have what it take sot be a pro. The pros are already there....and only have to worry about a paycheck; how hard can that be? That's an impressive PR, and I just hope those splits materialize soon for my edification! How's the bod feel today? Did you drive straight back to maine afterwards?

I feel good, thanks!! I did a recovery spin on the trainer tonight.  We drove home after, 6 hours -I was pretty stiff!  

My splits were: 

Swim: 48:15

T1: 2:20

Bike: 3:38

T2: 2:13

Run: 2:14

6:43 total

RR coming!

2011-06-06 9:58 PM
in reply to: #3536100

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Nobody can stop her!!!  Well done Denise!!

LadyNorth - 2011-06-06 10:25 PM

And my record is intact: 10 triathlons, 10 1st place age group awards

Details here:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=255426

Denise

2011-06-06 10:41 PM
in reply to: #3530415

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Steve,

Great race story.  I'm certain that the person you were stalking was a tough competitor and you were reaching deep to cut the 90 second gap.  You almost pulled it off!!  I have said this before, I don't have much of a tolerance for pain so I have no idea how I would react in that situation.  Of course I'm not good enough to put myself in that situation so I don't think I'll have to worry about that anytime soon!!!!

Regarding HR, I hear what your saying.  Personally, I was raised using the tool and have found it helpful particularily as a beginner in the sport.  How helpful is it in the "heat of the battle"?  I don't know.  You have advocates like Mark Allen and those like Macca on the other side of the HR fence.  Both pretty darn successful triathletes.  Who's right, who knows?  My guess is that they are both right given their circumstances.

stevebradley - 2011-06-03 8:45 AM JEFF, last time - All that said, I'm not one for going to the absolute wall to try to win something. In fact, that is probably soemthing I could stand to work on, with case-in-point being...... At Columbia '10 I came back into T2 just as one david Adams was heading out on the run. He had won the a.g. the previous year, and I knew from doing my homework that I was probably a better running than he is. So, he started off with about a 90-second lead on me, and at about the half-mile mark I could see him ahead of me by maybe 60 yards. That gave me about 5.5 miles to catch him, and I set into that goal. Columbia is a wicked course, but I felt okay that day and was running well (enough), and felt fairly confident that in time I would reel him in. But the laf-miles clicked by, and while I was closing the gap....it wasn't happening as decisively as I hoped (thought?) it might. Mile 4 turned into mile 5, and the gap was still closing, but its rate was too leisurely! And yet, I wasn't prepared to "bury" myself at that point; I just wasn't sure I had it in me. Another half-mile and the finish line could be seen across the lake, and I started to realize that at the rate we had both been going.....I was going to run out of time before the finish. So, I cranked it up an iota or two, but that was a hurtin' thing and I didn't think I could hold that until the end. the game then became "surges" --- push hard for 10-15 seconds, then settle back. The end result of all this was that he finished three seconds ahead of me, and that just proved to me that I am unwilling or unable to go way outside myself to win something like that. The game really was mine to win, as I was the stalker and he was the unwitting stalkee, and I had a lot of time in which to do it.....but couldn't pull it off. I think I'm comfortable that i did the best I could on that given day....but there are the nagging doubts nevertheless. I guess ghe worst that could've happened is that I would've ended up curled up in the fetal position 20 yards from the finish line, and how bad could that really be? But I started this story by thibnking about heart rate, and how useless I think it would've been for me at this race -- and many others, i guess. I mean, what do I do with that info? I was going as hard as I thought it was safe to do so, and I'm sure, anyhow, that I was working my way through my more uncomfortable zones. But had I seen a lower heart rate reading....could I really have cranked it up a few more beats on that day? I really don't think so. Tricky topic. The weird twist of fate, sort of, is that he won Grand Masters for that race, meaning i was declared winner of M60-64. So, I have this lovely curved engraved glass plaque to that effect.....but it is mostly bitter because in my heart I know he was the guy who won M60-64, not me. And it is only cold comfort that in September, at another race run by the same group, I won Grand Masters, and that some other guy got the award for winning the a.g. In short, I REALLY dislike those Masters and Grand masters categories, and just wish that everything was good old 5-year age groups. Finally, I haven't forgotten that I owe you something on goal-setting. I hope to knock that off this weekend!

2011-06-06 10:41 PM
in reply to: #3536100

User image

Champion

DENISE -

Be kind to yourself, and remember that what you did yesterday was just about twice the distance you had ever done before. To go from sprint to oly invoves a nice little (?) learning curve, and to my eyes you really weren't too far off where you might ideally want to be in any of the five areas (uh, did I say something already about T1? )?

You are very correct that when there is a choice to be made, more expereicned racers will usaully pick the oly over the sprint. The difference in other head-to-head (oly-HIM, HIM-IM) situations will not be as pronounced, but it sure is at sprint-olympic. i know that'll be the case this Saturday at my sprint (which also has an oly option).

All of that is to say that your comparative placement is skewed some, with the advantages going to those who have been that distance before. So, I juts much prefer to focus on your individual times, which as I said above are not far away from where you'd want them to be. And with a few more olys behind you, you'll have it all where you want it!

That's lousy about the awards kerfuffle. Send me the phone number of the RD and I'll give him a call at 3 a.m. (just one of those services you get with a Full Service Mentor -- harassment of the forces of bufoonery!)!

Full steam ahead, Denise. You did really well!

2011-06-06 10:57 PM
in reply to: #3530333

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Steve,

I'm a big chocolate nut so I'll have to give the Clif product that you mentioned a shot.  As for sugar flavored panther pee - think I'll skip on that one 

stevebradley - 2011-06-03 8:07 AM JEFF again - I'm lucky, I guess, that I can handle most of the gels. I may not exactly love them, but I can stomach most. I have a strong preference for the thinner ones, but few area s thin as I like them. EFS makes a "Liquid Shot" that is very thin, and that's a consistency I can handle forever. I the old days there was Lava Gel, and not only was that delectably thin, but also had some fabulously mild flavors - mango, peach, and lemon, and none of them with any "bite". The best, was Lava's Kona Mocha, which was very low in the sweetness factor and so worked wonderfully as a switch-up from a couple of hours of the sweeter ones. But Lava was in Hawaii, and distribution was tough, and I think the guy running it was not the best businessamn around. he made stupendous gels, but just couldn't market them evffectively. I think he has attempted a comeback....but I haven't seen his product anywhere for years. Alas. But I digress! If you like chocolate things, try the new formula chocolate Clif Shot. It comes in a shiny-foil brown-and-silver package and has "NEW formula" written on it, and to my taste buds seems to be fondue-quality --- really true-chocately taste! Close behind it is AccelGel chocolate, and the story there is that Cadbury bought out the gel division on Accelerade a few years ago, and so when they retooled the gels they brought their expereicne with making chocolate to bear on that gel. It too is clsoe to fondue-quality! The only drawback to AccelGel is the lower carbohydrate level that is used so as to satisfy their "patented" 4:1 carb:protein ratio. So, in the process of having 4 or 5g of protein per gel. they have only 16 or 20g of carbs, as opposed to most gels that have about 25g. that seems significant to me, although for longer stuff the inclusion of protein level is useful. The "teaser" here, though, is that AccelGel flavors generally suit me very well, AND it is more thin than most. PowerGels -- lovingly loose, but strong flavors that "bite". Gu -- flavors okay, but too thick -- need to be almost choked down! Hammer -- Tropical is really nice (pineappley is always a welcome taste) CarbBoom! -- Two years ago they added some new flavors, with Cranberry-Grapefruit being out-of-this-world. And then they hid in a hole last year and retooled, I think, and have now returned without their new flavors from two years ago. Wahhhh! Good, loose consistency, though. As with you, I can handle any sports drink, and on course on a hot day when I'm suffering I'm not at all choosy; they could serve panther pee with a touch of sugar added, and I'd gulp it with glee. I know all the raps on Gatorade, but in a race I'm just happy to have whatever is in G-ade that makes me feel better!

2011-06-06 11:33 PM
in reply to: #3530357

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Steve,

As you can probably tell by now I often read backwards (I have my quirks) in the thread so I already responded to one of your later responses about HR. 

Like you my HR can be all over the map on different days depending upon my fatigue level, heat, hydration, etc....   As a relative newbie to the sport I don't always know how it should feel.  As I get more experienced I'm hoping that I get more familar with the feel of racing at different distances (sprint, olympic, HIM).  If you were to ask me what my race run pace (or feel) should be like for the next local HIM, my answer would be: I don't know.  So the HRM just helps me put a threshold on my efforts more than anything else (as you can probably tell I have a fear of exploding).

Anyway, enough from me on the HR subject. 

stevebradley - 2011-06-03 8:22 AM JEFF once more - I don't have a Garmin, so for me it's just perceived until I get to the first bonafide marker and I can check it against my watch. Of course, the drawback there is that there's no guarnatee that first marker will be accurate, but I guess they're mostly okay within about 20 yards either way, and that's worth only a few seconds overall, so...... Nine times out of ten my actual pace is faster than I think it is in the first km out of T2, and about half of those times it's faster than I actually want it to be. I can never be sure if the fact I'm breathing heavily is because I have worked hard on the bike, or if I am running a faster pace than I should. When it's the latter, as confirmed by the first marker, i then go into a low-grade panic mode wherein I stress that I have started the process towards "blowing up" a few miles further along. Brain, be still! At this point we could probably diverge into a conversation about why I never used my HRM during a race. The short of that is that, for me, i would just rather trust how I am feeling on any given day, as opposed to keeping within set hart rate zones. My trining told me that one day's 150, say, was very different from another day's 150, maeaning that some days OI felt great running at 145, other times I felt crappy. I just never wanted to hold myself back at a given number on my NRM, when on that day I was capable of going harder for longer. So, I use mostly perceived effort, tempered only by hat I see at the first mile marker on the run. I will then make an adjustment or two, depending, but that's it -- subsequent mile markers just find me back to what I feel is the most I can put out at that time. Does that make sense?

2011-06-07 6:15 AM
in reply to: #3535897

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Congrats Denise!! Way to go!
2011-06-07 6:54 AM

New user
Swansea, IL
Great race report, Denise.  I'm impressed.  I'm thinking about moving up to an Oly next year but need a lot of improvement in my swim ability before I tackle one.  You are an inspiration.
2011-06-07 8:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Steve,

What race are you doing this weekend?

Denise

2011-06-07 9:58 AM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine

Hey Guys,

For anyone interested, here is my Race Report:

http://caratunkgirl.com/2011/06/07/rev3-quassy-half-race-report/

I think that link should work. I also did a report here on BT for that race.  But the link one has some pictures and video.  Weee.

Mandy

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  

of 57