BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2012-01-23 6:54 AM
in reply to: #4005032

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED
razorxp - 2012-01-22 9:26 PM

Wow 2 great games, stinks for Bmore as you hate to leave it to a kicker. 

So am I the only one that loves running in the snow, did a great run with the dog on sat.  He is in heaven when running and I love it because it wipes him out for a couple days. Too bad it will all melt the next couple days.

So how did we do on our goals last week? I did my all my core workouts but only hit 1 swim (still alot for me)

Love running in the snow too.  Unfortunately we had an ice storm, so it was just too dangerous this weekend.  I ended up not even getting to the gym for a run - no long run this weekend.  Felt wierd, but I did have a great run today.  8 miles with low HR entire time, must be because I am well rested.

2012-01-23 8:25 AM
in reply to: #3943322

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good Morning Team.

Coach - one swim last week - nice work Smile.

Jenny - hope that knee is ok? Good luck with classes.

I think I met my goal - which was to get a plan in place for the IM which starts a week from today. Cold set me back a bit but I probably needed the rest - feeling better everyday. I got a decent hour of swimming in this morning before heading to work and hopefully will get a bike in later.

Music Monday - here you go:

Old School - Boomtown Rats I don't like Monday's Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yteMugRAc0

KC

Edited by kcgolf 2012-01-23 8:29 AM
2012-01-23 8:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Mass.
Well I can tell the training is working.  I played ice hockey with my son for three hours on Saturday and I'm not sore at all. 
2012-01-23 9:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

I've been hitting the workouts hard.  Brainless stuff to stay centered during an unsettled time at work. After 5 years with a bankrupt company, no raises, no pension, I've decided to bail out ...took a buyout after 32 years as a journalist at the same newspaper.  Age 60.5.   Worst case, I make as much with the buyout and unemployment to age 62 and social security as I would have working here 5 days a week.  Seems like a no brainer to take it.  Best case I find another full time position or a fun part time position in a bike shop or something,. finish a book on fatman to Ironman and  get a USA T coaching certificate at some point.  Feeling really good about the decision. 

I've been riding hard on the CT.  Coach is really pushing efficient pedal stroke. 

Working the kettlebells hard and seeing major body changes in 3 weeks.  Stronger.  5 pounds down on Paleo though no loss last week even with huge calorie deficits.  Dunno if they are right about not worrying about starvation mode or not, or maybe at 10% body fat there is just not a lot I'm going to do. 

Have a good week!

2012-01-23 10:12 AM
in reply to: #4004815

User image

Pro
Houston
razorxp - 2012-01-22 5:21 PM
KeriKadi - 2012-01-21 11:38 AM
tmoran80 - 2012-01-21 7:58 AM

Keri - What are the longest runs and swims in the plan?  Those distances do seems a little aggresive for the type of plan it is.  Even if you are just going to train for a 10K you wouldn' want to start out at 6 miles the first week.  I have done 3 BT plans and had oneM had  really good experience, one HIM was ok and I didn't really like the offseason plan they offered.

KeriKadi - 2012-01-20 2:15 PM
razorxp - 2012-01-20 1:44 PM

Keri: I assume that is an advanced plan for someone just getting ready for the season who are already at those miles.  I would look to a beginner plan and add from there if the mileage is too much. 

How far are you now at:

Swim distance and pace

Bike distance and pace/watts/mins

Run distance/pace/mins

It is not an advanced plan. I can do all of the distances. However, to me it seems silly to do more than the distances from the beginning. My first long bike was longer than the race 16 weeks before the race. This weekend my second long bike is supposed to be 28+ miles. I don't umind the bike being a bit long nut week 2 had a 2100 swim on it, that just seems extreme. Why would I want to get burned out so far in advance? My logs are up to date. My swim is around 2/100, bike around 16, slower on trainer, run around 12/mile.

That is a good question, I've been afraid to look, guess I should check that out.

Woke up yesterday with a a wicked cold took Emergen'C, probiotics, Zicam, used the netti pot and slept about 12 hours. I think I am a little better today but my head is throbbing. I guess I'm glad the symptoms changed hopefully tomorrow will be even better.

Yesterday was supposed to be a trainer ride and today a run. However, this early in the season I think me getting better is more important so I am going to rest again today and plan to ride tomorrow. Distance will be determined by how I feel.

Does anybody here have a Computrainer? If so what kind? It is something I am looking into. I need to find out if my tri store is going to carry them, with the discount I could make it happen.

Monique - I am right there with you on the school thing and everyone always asks if my Dad was in the miliary. My Mom is a 'fly by the seat of her pants, move in the middle of the night' kind of gal. Honestly, we were usually running from someone or something. Fifth grade was 3 different schools in 3 different states. They didn't realize until 7th grade I missed long division all together because one school had not done it yet and the other school had already covered it.

Keri did you look at any other plans for the OLY? I just glanced at what is available and some did not look to bad. The one your doing sure seems advanced to me if this is your 1st OLY.

I do have a CT they are great to use in the winter. I think there are only a couple pro and coach model (not sure).  Do you have a power meter?  Only reason I ask is alot of people will buy a powermeter first as you can use it year around, while the CT most use only in the winter.  Good luck either way you will love both devices.

This will actually be my 4th Oly. Last one was in October....... I decided this morning while in the pool I am going to follow the swim workouts my old coach gave me last year...... Yet another complaint about the BT plan, zero drills which seems really odd to me.......... I do have a POwer Tap and that is my guide while on the bike. The weather here is fine, it's more of a kid issue. I can run nd swim at the Y but not ride so there is no chance at riding during daylight hours during the week so I'm on the trainer twice a week.
2012-01-23 10:24 AM

User image

New user
Chicago, IL

KC - glad to hear you are feeling better!  I have to say that last night was the first night I didn't wake up in a coughing fit (although I did after I woke up!) I think having the humidifier really helped!

Scott - sounds like it was the right decision for you.  You've accomplished so much already, just think of everything you can do with the extra time.  Cool 

Took it easy over the weekend and now that I'm feeling much better, my goal starting is to swim twice a week, run 2-3 times a week, and bike 2 times a week.  Tonight is swimming.  Plan on starting with the master's team in a couple weeks after I get used to being in the water again. 

Question about Music Monday: are we supposed to post a song that we enjoy working out to or just in general?  A good workout/general song for me is: Kanye West's Stronger. 

Happy Monday!

2012-01-23 10:37 AM
in reply to: #4005622

User image

Expert

Scott - good luck and it sounds like you are happy with your decision.  My cousin is (or was) in the newspaper business in graphic design and was layed off over a year ago and has not found anything.  He is working on going back to school to get into a new field now.  So...if you are able to get a buy out I think you are way ahead of the game.

If i wasn't worried before, now I am really worried about riding with you this summer on the IMWI course especially if you are 100% focused on your traing!!!  I need to start bring my bike to work and putting it in front of my desk and using it as my chair just to keep up -haha!!!

IceManScott - 2012-01-23 9:16 AM

I've been hitting the workouts hard.  Brainless stuff to stay centered during an unsettled time at work. After 5 years with a bankrupt company, no raises, no pension, I've decided to bail out ...took a buyout after 32 years as a journalist at the same newspaper.  Age 60.5.   Worst case, I make as much with the buyout and unemployment to age 62 and social security as I would have working here 5 days a week.  Seems like a no brainer to take it.  Best case I find another full time position or a fun part time position in a bike shop or something,. finish a book on fatman to Ironman and  get a USA T coaching certificate at some point.  Feeling really good about the decision. 

I've been riding hard on the CT.  Coach is really pushing efficient pedal stroke. 

Working the kettlebells hard and seeing major body changes in 3 weeks.  Stronger.  5 pounds down on Paleo though no loss last week even with huge calorie deficits.  Dunno if they are right about not worrying about starvation mode or not, or maybe at 10% body fat there is just not a lot I'm going to do. 

Have a good week!

2012-01-23 10:43 AM
in reply to: #4005032

User image

Expert

I trained from December to April for my marathon and did majority of runs outside.  I got my fill of frozen water bottles, frozen feet and running in snow - enough to hold me over for the next few years.  This year everything has been INSIDE in shorts/t-shirt on the treadmill.

Goals - I have had a really solid 3 weeks and hit my 6 hour goal (actually hit 7 hrs.).  Feel really good and hope I can keep this up.

Here is what I have for everyones goals so far:

KC - lay down my plan for NYC IM

Mary - break out the trainer

Tim - get in at least 6 hours/week up until my actual plan starts the week of 2/14

Deb - hit at least 90% of my training plan for the rest of the month

Jenny - keep being consistent with my training

Brian (Skinny Arm) - January goals... 80 miles running. swim 7000 yards

Scott -4X week bike; 2X week, swim; 3X week, run; 2X week strength. Stick with the Paleo Diet.

DaveL - run 5 days a week, bike twice per week on the weekends.

David - swim 2 times per week and 2 core/yoga workouts per week

Sarah - swim twice a week, run 2-3 times a week, and bike 2 times a week

razorxp - 2012-01-22 8:26 PM

So am I the only one that loves running in the snow, did a great run with the dog on sat.  He is in heaven when running and I love it because it wipes him out for a couple days. Too bad it will all melt the next couple days.

So how did we do on our goals last week? I did my all my core workouts but only hit 1 swim (still alot for me)

2012-01-23 10:52 AM

User image

Expert

So for music monday - I have been jamming to my drummers/bass players new original band - AO.  They just released their debut EP and it turned out really awesome.  The drummer from the band Filter produced the tracks.  I wish I would have met and played with these guys when I was in my 20's and could have seriously pursued my original career - but for now I am stuck being the family man/triathlete and only being the weekend rockstar-haha

Check out the end - awesome hook.

http://ayoh.bandcamp.com/track/ay-oh-out-alive

2012-01-23 6:05 PM

User image

SE North Carolina
Im in training at work all week, long days every day hopefully Ill be able to stay my plan, guess im just gonna have to get up extra early...trying to keep on pace with the training program and was able to get 5.5 mile run in on saturday...so far so good...
2012-01-23 7:09 PM
in reply to: #4006915

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

Happy Monday to everyone!!

Today was a day off (had to rearrange due to school starting) and I was glad it was a day off, but I will say I am eager to get back to it tomorrow.  On tap- Masters swim and lifting early AM, followed by CT ride in the evening. 

Music Monday...one of my favorite songs to listen to while training is Good Feeling by Flo Rida.  Sometimes I need lyrics with some motivation, and the second verse has some good lines in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OnnDqH6Wj8

Question for everyone- what nutrition do you use while training and racing?  I am starting to think about things to try while training to figure out a plan for IMWI.  I have been using the Ironman Perform while training, and if I dilute it, I can handle that rather well.  For Racine HIM, I used pretzels on the bike (helped force me to drink lots of water on a hot day as well!) and shorter races I use Accelgel.

2012-01-23 10:40 PM
in reply to: #4005622

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Scott - I am guessing this must have been a tough decision - 32 years anywhere is a long time - good luck with the path ahead, if anyone can forge it - you can.

IceManScott - 2012-01-23 10:16 AM

Have a good week!

2012-01-23 10:42 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

In about 15 minutes it will be 199 Days until NYC IM - Wow - I better get to work.

KC

2012-01-23 10:43 PM
in reply to: #4005555

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Nice Job Keith - hope all is well.

kdevarenne - 2012-01-23 9:51 AM Well I can tell the training is working.  I played ice hockey with my son for three hours on Saturday and I'm not sore at all. 

2012-01-23 10:45 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Kev. Just do what you can, when you can. Nice job on the run.

MANDOWN - 2012-01-23 7:05 PM Im in training at work all week, long days every day hopefully Ill be able to stay my plan, guess im just gonna have to get up extra early...trying to keep on pace with the training program and was able to get 5.5 mile run in on saturday...so far so good...

2012-01-23 10:46 PM
in reply to: #4005873

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Tim - great tune - thanks for sharing.

tmoran80 - 2012-01-23 11:52 AM

So for music monday - I have been jamming to my drummers/bass players new original band - AO.  They just released their debut EP and it turned out really awesome.  The drummer from the band Filter produced the tracks.  I wish I would have met and played with these guys when I was in my 20's and could have seriously pursued my original career - but for now I am stuck being the family man/triathlete and only being the weekend rockstar-haha

Check out the end - awesome hook.

http://ayoh.bandcamp.com/track/ay-oh-out-alive

2012-01-23 10:47 PM
in reply to: #4005799

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Sarah - you can post any song you want for any reason. Nice to hear you are on the mend.

saskat - 2012-01-23 11:24 AM

KC - glad to hear you are feeling better!  I have to say that last night was the first night I didn't wake up in a coughing fit (although I did after I woke up!) I think having the humidifier really helped!

Scott - sounds like it was the right decision for you.  You've accomplished so much already, just think of everything you can do with the extra time.  Cool 

Took it easy over the weekend and now that I'm feeling much better, my goal starting is to swim twice a week, run 2-3 times a week, and bike 2 times a week.  Tonight is swimming.  Plan on starting with the master's team in a couple weeks after I get used to being in the water again. 

Question about Music Monday: are we supposed to post a song that we enjoy working out to or just in general?  A good workout/general song for me is: Kanye West's Stronger. 

Happy Monday!

2012-01-24 9:16 AM
in reply to: #4005555

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

kdevarenne - 2012-01-23 9:51 AM Well I can tell the training is working.  I played ice hockey with my son for three hours on Saturday and I'm not sore at all. 

That is the great thing about cross training it helps with everything you do in life!

2012-01-24 9:17 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

MANDOWN - 2012-01-23 7:05 PM Im in training at work all week, long days every day hopefully Ill be able to stay my plan, guess im just gonna have to get up extra early...trying to keep on pace with the training program and was able to get 5.5 mile run in on saturday...so far so good...

Hang in there and get what you can get done!  Nice run Sat!

2012-01-24 9:24 AM
in reply to: #4006997

User image

Pro
Houston
Jennifers - 2012-01-23 7:09 PM

Question for everyone- what nutrition do you use while training and racing?  I am starting to think about things to try while training to figure out a plan for IMWI.  I have been using the Ironman Perform while training, and if I dilute it, I can handle that rather well.  For Racine HIM, I used pretzels on the bike (helped force me to drink lots of water on a hot day as well!) and shorter races I use Accelgel.

Never done a full but in training for my half I loved Fig Newtons. I don't mind chews and gels but for something longer than 3-4 miles I want some kind of real food. I've also don't PB&J. I even ate Newtons during the bike portion and then switched to Chomps which I really like and some of their flavors have caffeine.

FYI Accel is coming out with a gel that has 100mg of caffeine. I tried the chocolate during my long run last week and it went well, I liked it.

2012-01-24 9:26 AM
in reply to: #4006997

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Jennifers - 2012-01-23 8:09 PM

Happy Monday to everyone!!

Today was a day off (had to rearrange due to school starting) and I was glad it was a day off, but I will say I am eager to get back to it tomorrow.  On tap- Masters swim and lifting early AM, followed by CT ride in the evening. 

Music Monday...one of my favorite songs to listen to while training is Good Feeling by Flo Rida.  Sometimes I need lyrics with some motivation, and the second verse has some good lines in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OnnDqH6Wj8

I only drink on longer workouts (2+hrs) and eat on (3+hr) workouts.   Not sure if is the best thing but I just don't eat while training usually.  The perform is not my favorite but works in a pinch, but it does have a huge design flaw.  They made the bottle mostly black and when its sunny and hot the drink is almost hot.

For OLY races I may do 1 pack of chomps on the bike, other than that at 2ish hours should not need too much.

I love the pretzles but not sure there is enough nutrition for a full IM.  Right now I use the bonk breakers or crustables.  Some like fig nutons.  I think Iceman uses honeystingers.  Its all personal pref as it needs to sit in your stomach.

2012-01-24 9:28 AM
in reply to: #4007306

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
kcgolf - 2012-01-23 11:42 PM

In about 15 minutes it will be 199 Days until NYC IM - Wow - I better get to work.

KC

I will be there to cheer you on! lol  How are you feeling?

2012-01-24 9:39 AM
in reply to: #4007815

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good Morning Team.

Coach - I think I am feeling ok - cold getting better, foot marginal, right arm/shoulder holding up/ heart still ticking/ still waiting on results of last weeks physical - but and this is a big BUT LOL - long way to go so we will see and deal with whatever presents itself along the way to the best of my ability - or should I say, my team of health care professiaonals will deal with it LOL - God Bless everyone one of them Smile.

Have a great day team. Don't think I am going to get any training in today - long day at work and curling tonight.

KC

Officially 199 days and counting.

PS Coach - You will be cheering me on long after you cross the finish line - just promise to have a cold one waiting for me.

razorxp - 2012-01-24 10:28 AM

KC

2012-01-24 12:53 PM
in reply to: #4007815

User image

Veteran
razorxp - 2012-01-24 10:28 AM

KC

Are you going to be cheering for him as you race?

2012-01-24 1:25 PM

User image

Expert

Ok - so I finished my video analysis this morning and put together my video.  Like everything I do it is completely overboard production wise but I figure if you are gonna be watching and commenting on something boring like me training then I need to make it somewhat interesting right?

So it was very eye opening to see my swim stroke. I think I will learn a ton from this video.  Here are some overall things that I noticed and let me know what you guys think:

http://vimeo.com/35583661

SWIM

• Pull - I am doing this weird thing in my pull that is not smooth at all.  Instead of an "S" I am making an "L"haha.  I am not sure why I am doing this but am gonna work on correcting it.
  • Over rotation - does it seem like I am over rotating?
  • Hand Entry - my hand entry position seems to be flat.  i think I am focusing on reaching out more than the actual entry.  I am gonna try and enter with thumbs first and glide out instead of just plopping flat hand down already outstretched.  Also need to work on closing my hands together.
  • Kick - When i am swimming I feel like I am barely kicking but my legs seem to be all over the place.  I am gonna focus on keeping my legs together and using more arms.

BIKE

• I don't think I have an aggressive enough aero position? thoughts?
  • Over all I was somewhat happy with my pedal stroke.  My legs seems to be in line.  

RUN

• Nothing really jumped out at me on my run form but let me know if you see anything

The video is under 5 minutes.  Thanks for taking the time to watch and critique.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 43