BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2013-04-14 6:29 AM
in reply to: #4571585

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Closed
So I signed up for the online coaching here at BT for a little added incentive and I was advised to try the 8 week bike focused plan then a 12 week bridge to Olympic plan in prep for my first Olympic in September. Wow, what a difference, the 8 week plan is a lot of training! I wasn't able to hit the time or distance goals this week. But, looking at the positives, had my longest swim ever at 2100 yards, biked 3 times this week for an hour plus each session! Going to try and stick with it and hope the added training will also help me to drop a few pounds by September.

Today I'm suppose to get in a 50 min run....though dh had a whole dump truck of mulch delivered yesterday and I helped him shovel and spread it all day so I'm pretty stiff today. However, I must be getting stronger because a few months ago I don't think I could have done it!

So enough rambling, two questions:

1. Does anyone have a calf or lower leg stretching routine that they follow regularly? I'm having a lot of tightness in my calves that's radiating to shin pain, need to get that under control.

2. Is anyone else nervous to bike on the road alone? This week has been great but dh is away all next week and if I'm going to get my bike workouts in I need to find a solution, maybe a group ride.

Happy Sunday!

Yvonne

2013-04-14 6:46 AM
in reply to: #4698042

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

jmholzman - 2013-04-12 12:46 PM Sorry haven't responded to anything here the last couple days, been busy with work and life trying to get ready for the weekend but it's all coming together now.  Car all packed, taper done with, ready to drive to the grandparents' to drop off the kids and enjoy the weekend. Cool

Joe- Hope you have a great race today and are having a great weekend with your wife!!

2013-04-14 6:52 AM
in reply to: #4699382

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Welcome back Tom- Thanks for the prayers. Getting used to training after work was hard for me as I have always been a morning person- but this sport has turned me into a 'whatever it takes to get the workout in person!'

Welcome back Chris!

2013-04-14 7:42 AM
in reply to: #4699370

User image

Master
St. Louis
Ybeal - 2013-04-14 6:29 AM

So I signed up for the online coaching here at BT for a little added incentive and I was advised to try the 8 week bike focused plan then a 12 week bridge to Olympic plan in prep for my first Olympic in September. Wow, what a difference, the 8 week plan is a lot of training! I wasn't able to hit the time or distance goals this week. But, looking at the positives, had my longest swim ever at 2100 yards, biked 3 times this week for an hour plus each session! Going to try and stick with it and hope the added training will also help me to drop a few pounds by September.

Today I'm suppose to get in a 50 min run....though dh had a whole dump truck of mulch delivered yesterday and I helped him shovel and spread it all day so I'm pretty stiff today. However, I must be getting stronger because a few months ago I don't think I could have done it!

1. Does anyone have a calf or lower leg stretching routine that they follow regularly? I'm having a lot of tightness in my calves that's radiating to shin pain, need to get that under control.

2. Is anyone else nervous to bike on the road alone? This week has been great but dh is away all next week and if I'm going to get my bike workouts in I need to find a solution, maybe a group ride.

Happy Sunday!

Yvonne

Yvonne,

I'm with you on being nervous on the roads. I'm pretty lucky in that there are several old rail road tracks that they turned into bike paths near me, so I usually ride those. They can be crowded with walkers and joggers and strollers in certain parts, but others are wide open through cornfields.

When I train a lot, my calves get painfully tight too. Tight enough that I scheduled a couple sports massages for my legs in the past. If you've never had one, they hurt as the masseuse tries to work all the knots in your muscles out. I also bought "the stick" to roll my calves out at home. http://www.amazon.com/The-Stick-6628-Marathon/dp/B000P7NWLM/ref=sr_...
2013-04-14 7:45 AM
in reply to: #4699117

User image

Master
St. Louis
knighton - 2013-04-13 5:21 PM

Hi all- Sorry for my absence. It's been a while since I posted. I've had some family issues that have prevented me from having any time to post, however, I have been running and swimming.I finally purchased a bike today and officially entered my first triathlon last week. I have caught up my training log for April if I haven't been completely expelled from the group.Glad to be able to get back to posting!Chris

Welcome back Chris!
2013-04-14 7:50 AM
in reply to: #4699093

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
TomsTri-ing - 2013-04-13 4:40 PM

So, I'm back .... again.

May the Legs Be With You!

Tom

Welcome back Tom. I'm so glad you're back with us! I've been posting your March numbers over the past month because you were the only person I was beating Wink

Sarah, really???? LOL    

...and, yes, I'm just as inappropriate as ever!!                                                                                                    

2013-04-14 7:57 AM
in reply to: #4699117

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

knighton - 2013-04-13 5:21 PM Hi all- Sorry for my absence. It's been a while since I posted. I've had some family issues that have prevented me from having any time to post, however, I have been running and swimming.I finally purchased a bike today and officially entered my first triathlon last week. I have caught up my training log for April if I haven't been completely expelled from the group.Glad to be able to get back to posting!Chris

Chris - of course you're welcome back!! I noticed you had some workouts logged in April, but I didn't include them in our weekly totals because I wasn't sure you wanted me to. I was going to PM you to ask, but just hadn't gotten to it. We are excited to have you back!!

2013-04-14 8:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Happy Sunday!

Yvonne

Yvonne- you are doing so well with your training. You've really turned it up a notch since last year!!

1. As far as the stretching, I know foam rollers have been mentioned a few times on this board. They were a life saver for me when I went through ITB. It's probably worth a try, if you aren't already using them

2. I am right there with you on the biking. Ever since my accident last September I have only been out on the road two times (one was Austin HIM). I do every ride on the trainer because I'm too scared to get back out there. So, I'm probably not the best to give advice, but here goes: I remember what Quincy said last year about training on the road: most of the rides can be done indoor, but try to get out once a week for an outdoor ride. So, with that in mind, I have searched around and found some other ladies in the area who are exceptional riders and begged them to let me tag along. I think you'll find that most people are more that willing to help out. I will start riding with them next week. You're smart to be cautious about riding alone. You just never know what can happen (accidents, crazy people, etc). Safety in numbers!!

2013-04-14 8:26 AM
in reply to: #4699412

User image

Veteran
Sarah73 - 2013-04-14 8:50 AM

So, I'm back .... again.

Tom

Welcome back Tom. I'm so glad you're back with us! I've been posting your March numbers over the past month because you were the only person I was beating Wink

Sarah, really???? LOL    

...and, yes, I'm just as inappropriate as ever!!                                                                                                    

Thanks for the incentive, hehehe

2013-04-14 8:36 AM
in reply to: #4699431

User image

Veteran
Sarah73 - 2013-04-14 9:04 AM

Happy Sunday!

Yvonne

Yvonne- you are doing so well with your training. You've really turned it up a notch since last year!!

1. As far as the stretching, I know foam rollers have been mentioned a few times on this board. They were a life saver for me when I went through ITB. It's probably worth a try, if you aren't already using them

2. I am right there with you on the biking. Ever since my accident last September I have only been out on the road two times (one was Austin HIM). I do every ride on the trainer because I'm too scared to get back out there. So, I'm probably not the best to give advice, but here goes: I remember what Quincy said last year about training on the road: most of the rides can be done indoor, but try to get out once a week for an outdoor ride. So, with that in mind, I have searched around and found some other ladies in the area who are exceptional riders and begged them to let me tag along. I think you'll find that most people are more that willing to help out. I will start riding with them next week. You're smart to be cautious about riding alone. You just never know what can happen (accidents, crazy people, etc). Safety in numbers!!

I'll add one thing:  I finally bought myself two Road ID's a couple of months ago.  I signed up for the "Interactive" version.  It gives a serial number and a toll free number for someone to help you.  I have my medical history and contact info.  I got 3 wrist colors, the black one I use for work/business.  The others for training.  I do bike alone, hard to find time to meet up with groups, and if you pick the wrong pace group they may leave you behind.  I usually try in the morning when there is less traffic on weekends. 

Tom

2013-04-14 12:06 PM
in reply to: #4699421

User image

Shreveport
Sarah73 - 2013-04-14 7:57 AM

knighton - 2013-04-13 5:21 PM Hi all- Sorry for my absence. It's been a while since I posted. I've had some family issues that have prevented me from having any time to post, however, I have been running and swimming.I finally purchased a bike today and officially entered my first triathlon last week. I have caught up my training log for April if I haven't been completely expelled from the group.Glad to be able to get back to posting!Chris

Chris - of course you're welcome back!! I noticed you had some workouts logged in April, but I didn't include them in our weekly totals because I wasn't sure you wanted me to. I was going to PM you to ask, but just hadn't gotten to it. We are excited to have you back!!

Thank you! Yes, please include me in the weekly totals. I'm excited to start logging some miles on my bike and really start to fit in as a triathlete rather than a bikeless biathlete

2013-04-14 12:50 PM
in reply to: #4699442

User image

Veteran
TomsTri-ing - 2013-04-14 9:26 AM
Sarah73 - 2013-04-14 8:50 AM

So, I'm back .... again.

Tom

Sarah, really???? LOL    

...and, yes, I'm just as inappropriate as ever!!       I was referring to your comment about making a baby was so much work.  Not that it was inappropriate.   Sorry for the confusion.  Tom                                                                                             

Thanks for the incentive, hehehe

2013-04-14 2:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Ybeal - 2013-04-14 6:29 AM So I signed up for the online coaching here at BT for a little added incentive and I was advised to try the 8 week bike focused plan then a 12 week bridge to Olympic plan in prep for my first Olympic in September. Wow, what a difference, the 8 week plan is a lot of training! I wasn't able to hit the time or distance goals this week. But, looking at the positives, had my longest swim ever at 2100 yards, biked 3 times this week for an hour plus each session! Going to try and stick with it and hope the added training will also help me to drop a few pounds by September.

Happy Sunday!

Yvonne

I will be excitedly following your progress!!! I think I may sign up for the online coaching after this sprint when I figure out what my next goal is.

I love to ride my bike alone- and its really my only option at this point. We are very rural so lots of places to ride where I only see a few cars. My thought is I would like to get a group ride in before the race so that does not feel totally out of place.  

I am a little paranoid after the 'dog incident' the other day but not giving up. Someone suggested a dog whistle around my neck?? Anyone heard of this? I carry mace but honestly was thinking the tire pump to the head might be a better defense the other day.

2013-04-14 7:22 PM
in reply to: #4699702

User image

Master
St. Louis
Meljoypip - 2013-04-14 2:05 PM

Ybeal - 2013-04-14 6:29 AM So I signed up for the online coaching here at BT for a little added incentive and I was advised to try the 8 week bike focused plan then a 12 week bridge to Olympic plan in prep for my first Olympic in September. Wow, what a difference, the 8 week plan is a lot of training! I wasn't able to hit the time or distance goals this week. But, looking at the positives, had my longest swim ever at 2100 yards, biked 3 times this week for an hour plus each session! Going to try and stick with it and hope the added training will also help me to drop a few pounds by September.

Happy Sunday!

Yvonne

I will be excitedly following your progress!!! I think I may sign up for the online coaching after this sprint when I figure out what my next goal is.

I love to ride my bike alone- and its really my only option at this point. We are very rural so lots of places to ride where I only see a few cars. My thought is I would like to get a group ride in before the race so that does not feel totally out of place.  

I am a little paranoid after the 'dog incident' the other day but not giving up. Someone suggested a dog whistle around my neck?? Anyone heard of this? I carry mace but honestly was thinking the tire pump to the head might be a better defense the other day.

I carry mace but in one encounter with a pit bull, I saw him several hundred yards away trying to look big blocking the bike trail and decided to turn around and pick another route. On another incident, I had two dogs jump out of the woods next to the bike trail and had no time to grab the mace. Had a nice zone 5 sprint and dropped them. Thought about bringing some dog treats, but never tried it.
2013-04-14 7:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Went pretty well today, didn't quite hit my goal time but I wasn't really sure my goal time was reasonable anyways. Will post a full race report later, but finished 13th of 33 in my age group, 66th of 310 overall. Just under 2:45 total. If I never see another hill again it will be too soon. Thanks for the positive thoughts everyone!
2013-04-14 8:39 PM
in reply to: #4699954

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

jmholzman - 2013-04-14 7:44 PM Went pretty well today, didn't quite hit my goal time but I wasn't really sure my goal time was reasonable anyways. Will post a full race report later, but finished 13th of 33 in my age group, 66th of 310 overall. Just under 2:45 total. If I never see another hill again it will be too soon. Thanks for the positive thoughts everyone!

That's awesome!!! Glad you had such a good race.

2013-04-14 9:13 PM
in reply to: #4700003

User image

Master
St. Louis
Meljoypip - 2013-04-14 8:39 PM

jmholzman - 2013-04-14 7:44 PM Went pretty well today, didn't quite hit my goal time but I wasn't really sure my goal time was reasonable anyways. Will post a full race report later, but finished 13th of 33 in my age group, 66th of 310 overall. Just under 2:45 total. If I never see another hill again it will be too soon. Thanks for the positive thoughts everyone!

That's awesome!!! Glad you had such a good race.

X2, awesome race!
2013-04-14 9:38 PM
in reply to: #4699934

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
ransick - 2013-04-14 7:22 PM
Ybeal - 2013-04-14 6:29 AM So I signed up for the online coaching here at BT for a little added incentive ;) and I was advised to try the 8 week bike focused plan then a 12 week bridge to Olympic plan in prep for my first Olympic in September. Wow, what a difference, the 8 week plan is a lot of training! I wasn't able to hit the time or distance goals this week. But, looking at the positives, had my longest swim ever at 2100 yards, biked 3 times this week for an hour plus each session! Going to try and stick with it and hope the added training will also help me to drop a few pounds by September.

Happy Sunday!

Yvonne

I carry mace but in one encounter with a pit bull, I saw him several hundred yards away trying to look big blocking the bike trail and decided to turn around and pick another route. On another incident, I had two dogs jump out of the woods next to the bike trail and had no time to grab the mace. Had a nice zone 5 sprint and dropped them. Thought about bringing some dog treats, but never tried it.

Reminds me of this

Click on the link--->   EDDIE!

Edited by oriolepwr 2013-04-14 9:45 PM
2013-04-14 9:46 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Nice race Joe! 

2013-04-14 10:10 PM
in reply to: #4700047

User image

Master
St. Louis
oriolepwr - 2013-04-14 9:38 PM

ransick - 2013-04-14 7:22 PM

Happy Sunday!

Yvonne

Reminds me of this

That video was hilarious Dave!
2013-04-14 10:12 PM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia
jmholzman - 2013-04-15 12:44 PM

Went pretty well today, didn't quite hit my goal time but I wasn't really sure my goal time was reasonable anyways. Will post a full race report later, but finished 13th of 33 in my age group, 66th of 310 overall. Just under 2:45 total. If I never see another hill again it will be too soon. Thanks for the positive thoughts everyone!

Awesome work Joe! And that's a terrific time. Now you get to have recovery week... Woohoo!

2013-04-15 4:49 AM
in reply to: #4700047

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
oriolepwr - 2013-04-14 9:38 PM it.

Reminds me of this

Lol except I had Eddie X3 - I was not talking- I was pumping those peddles and praying!! But i sure felt FAST when I left them behind!!
2013-04-15 6:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Thanks for the positive thoughts, everyone!  I've posted a race report: ??www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=484601
2013-04-15 7:46 PM

User image

Veteran

Hi everyone!  Sorry I've been MIA for a week or so.  Crazy at work and crazy at home!  Soooo....you may remember I had the Carmel Sprint Tri yesterday........well..........

I ROCKED IT!!

I'm so, so happy with my race!!  No anxiety issues on the swim and I finished it in 12:36, which is a good time for me for 400 meters.  I am officially past the panic issues.  From this point forward, I focus on improving my speed.  I worked HARD on the bike. For the first time I really feel like I RACED on the bike and the improvement in my time since last year shows that! I loved every minute I was on the bike. And..the run...well, I crushed it with an 8:20 average pace!  I couldn't be happier!!!!!  When's the next race?!?!

Link is here to my race report.  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=484594

Now I'm going to go back over the last few pages of posts and catch up.  Look for a flood of replies from me!  Can't wait to read about your race, Joe!!

Jax 

2013-04-15 8:00 PM
in reply to: #4689667

User image

Veteran
Ybeal - 2013-04-06 9:21 PM

First Tri of the season - DONE!

So proud of DH for doing his very first - Smithfield,VA sprint.  It was nice weather, the winds were gusting up to 18 mph and mostly headwinds so that made it challenging.  I'm pretty happy with the bike, though I wish I was faster, I gave it everything I had and only more training will make me faster. The pool swim wasn't the best, I got passed twice...but I really didn't practice enough in the two weeks leading up to it. 

The run was my worst, ever, for a sprint tri.  40 min. for 5k.  I didn't feel too bad coming off the bike, not too stiff, I walked my bike in because of the mud. Transitioned well, but after I started the run, my shins felt so swollen and stiff that I walked.  I kept trying to run but couldn't go more than a few steps without pain so I switched back to walking.  Just after the one mile mark I started loosening up some and was able to run more and walk less....overall not happy with the run.

DH beat me by about 4 min. total - I beat him in the swim and I really hoped I would beat him on the bike.  He caught me on the bike but not until the dismount line, overall his time was better.  Knew he'd crush me on the run so that was no surprise, of course he is like a foot taller than me

Fun overall and felt great after actually!

Race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=483574

Hope you're all having a good weekend!

Great job Yvonne!  Awesome effort and awesome accomplishment.  I hope you are still riding high!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Closed Rss Feed  

of 30