of 26

2007-11-14 6:12 AM
in reply to: #629883

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: MarkQuiet's group - FULL

D -

That happens to me more frequently than I'd like to admit - and some of the injuries are embarrassing.  Once I wrenched my back putting on a coat.  That's right, just putting on a coat, and I couldn't exercise for probably four days.  There are also the times when I'm injured and have no clue how I did it.  Take for example this ankle injury - I'm pretty sure it happened when I was doing the elliptical on Monday morning, but if I was on a lie detector, I'd have to say that I don't know how I did it.

2007-11-14 9:43 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
I also had a foot injury that lingered most of August, September and October.  I think it came from stepping on rocks going into and out of the lake we trained in up in Seattle.  Then it just kept on.  After complaining to my doc, it magically disappeared.
2007-11-15 7:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

Ain't it hell to get old?

If you don't hear from me for a week or 10 days, don't worry.  I'm gonna be out of commission for a while.  I have a big event this week at work - feeding about 300 poor people Saturday night and then giving away boxes of food and turkeys.  My assistant is out sick so I'm putting in extra hours making sure everything is ready.  Anyway, I haven't done a work out in 3 days and don't foresee any in the next couple of days.  Monday, my hubby and I are heading to the north Georgia mountains with our Golden Retriever for some R&R at my dad & step-mom's.  Ahhhhh!!!  Can't wait to hit the apple orchards in Elijay and the old stone mill in Helen for some old fashioned milled cereal.  Listening to the trout stream (if there's still any water in it) in front of my dad's house always relaxes me.  I hope to get in some workouts and I'm taking my running shoes, swim suit and bike shorts but I'm not gonna freak if I can't find a way to work them in.  I'll start slowly when I get back (talking to myself here....) and work my way back up to my present level. 

Have a wonderfull Thanksgiving everyone!!!  Aren't you glad we've been given the ability to train and play and enjoy the beauty of what we do for recreation?????   I sure do!

2007-11-15 8:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Okay, I have to clarify a comment I made on 11/13 about my socks when I said, "I wear Balega socks and I don't wear anything else..."  I meant that I don't wear any other kind of socks.  I have not yet ventured (and will not unless I go mad) into "bare" racing.  Don't laugh....they have a race near Tampa, in Lutz, called the "Dare to Bare" race.  If you search the threads you might find one athlete's write up about the race.  It was hilarious!!!
2007-11-26 7:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!  We sure did - nothing but relaxation up in the North Georgia mountains.  Doug and Texmom - hope the 1/2 Mary went well.  Still watching for the race reports.  I bet it was cold up in Seattle!!!   ...and all you folks with colds and flu - get well soon!

Bummer news today.  I went to the doc today and he checked out my ankles and sidelined me for 6-8 weeks (I convinced him that 6 would be sufficient).  He told me I'm on the way to rupturing my achilles if I don't watch out and as much as I feel like the clock is ticking (I am 50 after all) I feel more compelled that I am in this training thing for the long haul and I want to be healthy.   Soooo, I'm taking 6 weeks off from running and probably biking and maybe swimming - UGH~~!!!.   Doc told me to swim for 2 days in a row and see if there is any pain.  If not, I'm cool to swim.  If so, no go.  I can walk, do yoga and weight lifting and anything that doesn't put stress on my achilles (which isn't much).  If any of you have any good off-season training programs, I'm all ears.  I think I"ll focus on strength training, especially core, and yoga, and of course, walking.  Looks like I'm out of commission till January 8th (but who is counting....).  I'll keep my logs and watch all you guys out there "battling the bulge" during the holidays.  Dang, did anyone else gain weight????

See ya,

Tara

2007-12-03 8:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania

I actually lost weight, but I've been down with this URI.

Sorry to hear about the sidelining, T - that stinks, but it's best long-term, we all know that.  It's been killing me not to work out - and missing a 5k yesterday - but it beats getting bedridden for a while, you know?  Ugh.

Stay healthy everyone - and if you want a good exercise log to watch, Sluggo's planning on running 90 miles this month.  Go go go!

2007-12-24 11:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania

Hey all -

I don't know if everyone's written the group off - I hope not.  I know that this month is really tough in terms of getting workouts in with the holidays and all - this month has been the worst for me since I started training back in February, I think.

If anyone's still in, please just send in a quick reply so I know you're all alive and willing to keep movitating each other - I know that without the group, I would not have kept going as I did.

Happy holidays, everyone!

Chris

2007-12-26 10:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

Hi ya'll!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!  I'm still in....I've purposely been avoiding the site cuz it just reminds me of what I'm not allowed to be doing - Ugh.  Actually my achilles is finally starting to not hurt - I can't believe it.  I'm allowed to start swimming and hope to get out there within the next couple of days. 

I need to find out what my expiration date is on my BT membership and renew.  I agree that without ya'll's inspiration and expertise, I never would have hung in there.  Maybe we can find out who is "in" and who is "out" and maybe open the group up to some newcomers - just a suggestion.  What do you others think?  Doug - will you be our fearless leader?

Hope all is well with everyone and hope to be seeing more of you in the coming weeks!

2007-12-26 11:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
I agree with Tara, and second the nomination as Doug as our fearless leader if we do open it up.
2007-12-26 6:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Glad to hear everyone's still doing well and getting closer to training again. I've been plugging along. Swim is getting better, bike is still my weak point. I refuse to ride outside in the cold, so I'm a trainer dude this winter.
I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but I'm still in.
2007-12-28 10:20 AM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA

I'm still in!  I was going strong up until about 10 days before Christmas.  I'm heading out of town today but have my running gear packed so I expect to climb back on the horse.  I'm getting psyched for spring and the start of the season.

2008-01-01 8:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Happy new years to everyone. Train strong and live well.
2008-01-09 6:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania

Hey all -

How's everyone doing?  Let's hear about everyone's goals!

Right now I'm aiming at doing 4 sprints this year.  I was seriously considering an oly, and I still might, but running 10K is pretty scary at this point - I haven't run any further than 5K.  I'm going to plan on getting one or two 5Ks in this year as well to keep working on the weakest of legs (I meant that figuratively, but it works literally as well).

I'm also looking to drop to 200 pounds this year.  That is probably my biggest challenge.

So, what's everyone else doing?

2008-01-09 9:01 AM
in reply to: #1144484

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA

Hey,

Great question, as I've really been mulling over what my 2008 goals are.  So far, I've only set goals through the spring.  At the end of March I'll attempt my first marathon and at the end of April I'll attempt my first Oly.  I've got a few races in mind for late summer/early fall to make my "A" race but I want to see how I feel after the first Oly before making any serious committments.

However, I think what it all comes down to is building volume and working up to being able to train for the Ironman in Lake Placid in 2010.

Looking forward to hearing about everyone else.

2008-01-09 11:29 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Well, I don't know if you need a leader, but I'm back in with youse guys and gals.  I've been on vacation in Vail where all planned runs were thwarted by too much snow and too cold of temps (skiing was great, though).  On the windiest day we went swimming and I splashed through 1200 m.  My dear mother got me some swim sessions with a local masters program.  Now I have to figure out how to fit it into my sucky January work schedule.  I also got slammed by the flu over last weekend and really shouldn't be up this late. 

As for plans - generally, I'm looking at a marathon in Feb, an Oly in April, a sprint in May, training like hell in June for hopefully my first of 2 HIMs and an ultra run (but I only do the 25k, not the 50k) in July, then it'll be another oly in Sept and a HIM (longhorn again) in October, finishing tri season with a local sprint at the end of October and planning on completing the season with either a 1/2 mary or full mary in Nov/Dec.  This seems aggressive, well, yeah, it pretty much is. 

I also need to incorporate sleep into my training regimine, starting...now.

Glad to be back online.

db

2008-01-10 8:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Sleep?
That's the kind of thinking I could have used last year!
Seriously, I've upped my workouts just a little, and it's driving me to bed about an hour earlier, and I love it.
As for goals, 1 Oly in May, 1 in June, and a sprint in August. Maybe 1 more Oly in September. But in all truth, I think I enjoy the sprints more. More like racing instead of trying not to collapse.

2008-01-11 7:21 PM

Regular
Hi everyone,
I'm ready to get back into the program. I've really been out of the net for awhile, but I'm ready to start again. I've gained 15 lbs (at least), but I'm going to drop the weight and steadily get myself ready for a sprint in June, July, and August.
It's been hectic at work, but I told the boss that I am not going to let myself get anymore out of shape that I am now. He supports me. (Maybe I can talk him into training for a tri.)
I'm glad we are all back together. It's good to read how everyone is back into their programs.
Tony
PS ---- Who's on the team?
2008-01-16 7:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania

Tony -

Glad to see you're back on the horse!  I don't think we have an actual head count yet as to who's still actively participating in the group.  We're glad to have you back, and it'd be great if you could get your boss to train with you.  I don't have an active training partner, and I really think that's part of the reason I'm not getting myself to the next level.

Question for the group - how quickly do you get back on the training horse after illness?  I'm more concerned with bugs like the flu.  Do you wait until you're not feeling any after-affects, or do you start up once your stamina is back to making it through a normal work day?  I'm getting over a bug, and I'm concerned that I may end up causing a relapse if I start back too soon.  At this point, I'm not planning on resuming training until I'm at 90 -100%.

Let me know what you think.  Thanks!

2008-01-20 11:09 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
As usual, it depends a lot on you.  After my knock-down flu a couple of weekends ago, I ran the next Thursday night, but it was deliberately slow and measured as I got my legs and lungs back.  I ran a dozen on the following Sunday, again really watching how I was doing.  Last week's runs were back to normal.  I'd say, just take it easy the first few days back and really - I mean really - listen to your body.  Don't just gut it out because you're feeling guilty or something.  That'll get you delayed.
2008-01-22 3:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

Hi Everybody!

I'm "in" and ready to begin again.  I loved last year's training and accomplishments but have learned that at 50 I must go a little slower so as not to get injured.  I am beginning an ankle and shoulder rehab program coupled with core strengthening exercises as well as yoga or Pilates for flexibility.  I hate to even put a date on the calendar yet for a race since my MO is to overtrain.  I'd love to be able to do a tri in the end of May but I'm going to listen to my ankles and see how fast I can progress and go from there.  The doc said it could actually take my tendons 2-4 years to toughen enough to really get my running where I'd like to be - I'm praying it will be sooner...

I am so proud of all you guys who are continuing on and grateful for you veterans who are hanging in there with us.  THANK YOU all for your inspiration!

2008-01-22 4:09 PM

User image

Hey all!
I've been MIA for a few months, but I started reading the blogs again recently and you have all motivated me to get back into training again! So thanks! I started running last week and boy did I forget how hard the first few weeks are. Goodness! But I'm hoping to be in shape enough come June/July to do at least 1 sprint and I'd ideally like to do the Chicago Accenture Oly again in Aug. I'll probably fit in a few fun runs or indoor tri's in the mean time. The Chicago was an amazing experience and I can't wait to top my swim time. Lake Michigan is going down this year!
Hope everyone had a happy and healthy holiday. Good luck with all your training endeavors!
Megan

2008-01-31 9:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL

Does anyone have any advice on bike lights?  Fortunately when I rode tonight a roller-blader (yes, he can skate faster than A-groupers can ride-he's a pro) had a headlamp and my girlfriend had a back blinking light.  I know the folks in the bike group all have crazy $400-$800 lights which are way out of my league.  Any suggestions?

Have a good weekend everyone!

2008-01-31 9:29 PM
in reply to: #1188023

User image

Try www.performancebike.com
I don't know about quality, but there is a wide range of affordable ones.

Edited by mpietrucha 2008-01-31 9:29 PM
2008-02-01 7:48 AM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA

what do you need the light for?  If you need it to light your path then unfortunately lights are rather expensive. 

However, if you just want it for safety, to make sure cars can see you then you'll do fine with the less expensive lights.  I have a red flashing light on the back of my bike that only cost about $12 and can be seen from 1/2 mile away.  I'm thinking about getting one for the front of my bike as well.

2008-02-01 8:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
I need one on the back for safety and also one to light the road in front of me.  Wow I checked out the performancebike.com website and there are plenty of inexpensive ones to choose from.  Thanks for the info.  I'll let you know which one I get and what I think about it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MarkQuiet's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 26