BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2008-03-24 1:05 PM
in reply to: #1098772

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Subject: RE: Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME

I thoroughly enjoyed that flogging.

THANK YOU.  I have my marching orders for vacation and beyond.

2008-03-24 1:24 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

Bob...it's your turn for the flogging now.  Hope it's ok.

Here's from your OP:  "I would love a mentor who will not let me slip away agian...show me the place of no return wher eyou know you're hooked and aren't ever going back"   "weightloss and nutrition are my first line of attack"

I am here to make sure you don't slip away.  I know you are busy and have lots going on.  However, your health - both mental and physical are worth it!  Every sunday, I sit down with my planner and write in where I have to be and when.  Then I write in my training - how long and when I will do it.  For the most part, I keep to this.  If not, I arrange for another part in the day when I will do it. 

You MUST look at your training and write it in and stick to it.  Even if you can't run, you can aqua jog.  You have a trainer in the classroom.  Use it.  Daily if you have to.  10 minutes, 20 mintues, 30 minutes, whatever you can do.   Eat lunch on it    When you are really busy, try not to think all or none...maybe you don't have time for an hour ride, but can you manage 20 minutes with maybe 5 min of core work and stretching?

Also, one thing you can control even when you are injured is your eating.  Focus on it.  Plan it.  Do it. 

I would feel like a big failure if I let you slip away again....please don't go Cry.  Look at the next 3 months and establish some short term goals and go get em!  They may look different than what you thought they would back in december, but different is ok.  Make them appropriate for where you are now, and where you want to be in another 3 months.  Break it down to weeks and take baby steps. 

Breathe   That is all the pearls I have for now!

2008-03-24 1:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

But...the only part of the flogging I feel compelled to defend myself on is the swimming= the pool has only been open one weekend this month! (and during the week is mostly only ever open until 5- I don't get home from work till 4:30 or 5)

In retrospect, I should have been making up for that with core/strength stuff. Bad me. Bad. Bad. [insert self-flog here.]

Edited by aquinn 2008-03-24 1:26 PM
2008-03-24 1:32 PM
in reply to: #1289928

User image

Master
South Florida
aquinn - 2008-03-24 2:24 PM

But...the only part of the flogging I feel compelled to defend myself on is the swimming= the pool has only been open one weekend this month! (and during the week is mostly only ever open until 5- I don't get home from work till 4:30 or 5)

In retrospect, I should have been making up for that with core/strength stuff. Bad me. Bad. Bad. [insert self-flog here.]

WHAT??  HAVE YOU NO BATHTUB???  you could be doing breathing drills you know!  ok, just kidding.  I know the pool has been closed...so that is why you are going to focus on the swim the NEXT 3 months, and maybe even beginning with your trip.  Hopefully you are going to be near a pool, or the ocean..but don't do any OWS without someone else at least watching you, please. 

Really, you're doing very well with your training.  Very well indeed.  Just keep your icing on the cake goals in mind too (weight loss, lean look ).

2008-03-24 1:37 PM
in reply to: #1289003

User image

Veteran
Randers, Denmark

Yes Mimi, bring it out in public. Then you'll for sure get my attention.

And now I'll rush back to read my first posting - is it to late to edit it?

2008-03-24 1:47 PM
in reply to: #1289978

User image

Master
South Florida
DDTech - 2008-03-24 2:37 PM

Yes Mimi, bring it out in public. Then you'll for sure get my attention.

And now I'll rush back to read my first posting - is it to late to edit it?

yea, it is...I took notes   Ok Hans, you are next...but not for a bit, I gotta let you sweat it out a while first

2008-03-24 1:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson

Ok Mimi, I'll give you a little grist for your flogging mill: 

My new goal is to NOT be last -- overall AND in my age group.  (I actually wasn't last for the bike or the run -- AG and overall).  Obviously swim killed me.  In case you're interested, here's the link for the newly official results from my tri: http://www.tritucson.com/results/TUTres08.htm .  I'm in the Female 45-49 age group.

2008-03-24 1:50 PM
in reply to: #1289962

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Don't worry, Mimi- I think I'm too afraid of sharks for an OWS in the Gulf.  I found me a nice YMCA!
2008-03-24 6:38 PM
in reply to: #1289928

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
aquinn - 2008-03-24 12:24 PM

I feel compelled to defend myself on is the swimming=

I would have used the simple, "it sucks to swim when it's cold and snowy outside." Because it does!
2008-03-24 7:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson

A question for whomever feels inspired to answer: what does "clean eating" refer to?  I keep seeing in the blogs and such, but don't know what it entails.   Thanks.

2008-03-24 8:05 PM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community

Flog away!  I really don't mind!  I tried to make an appt to get my heels x-rayed but the US Army base hospital is currently understaffed and said they cannot make appts for civilians until maybe JUNE!!  Can you believe it.  So I'm going to have to venture out to a Korean hospital and see if they'll be able to help me.

I got on the elliptical last night, and my feet hurt so bad this morning.  This is not an excuse; I really am having a lot of pain, even just perambulating through my days.......

I'm on for my swim later today at lunch (will get in 1000). 

I worked on my wite-board this weekend. I have a huge wite-board up on the wall in the bedroom, with tri photos all over it, my upcoming schedule, and little inspirational things. 

I'm doing what I can, but I also know I can probably get more out of each day. 

Mainly, I need to get these feet under control. This is ridiculous!!!

Anyway, please don't think I've thrown in the towel! I'm just very frustrated!

I apologize also for being a lame Inspirer.  I will self-flagellate with a pine bough!!

2008-03-24 8:06 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

This one might be filed under the "do as I say and not as I do" and there are probably others better qualified to answer this, but I want to have some fun with it. I think it can mean different things to different people.

Clean eating is when you wash your hands before you eat and eat all the food and wipe up the gravy with a roll so that there is nothing left for the dog to lick off....

Then there is the idea of eating more naturally, avoiding processed foods, sticking to water and more naturally juices.

Then there is the avoiding "trigger" foods, candy bars, sodas, chips, chocolates.

I guess depending on the degree, it is cleaning up the habits.

BTW, I do have a lot of "observational" experience.  My wife went on a "raw" diet for about 6 months and then vegitarian for another 6 months.  Now she is avoiding red meat. 

Edited by peto_primo 2008-03-24 8:10 PM
2008-03-24 8:37 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

I'm having to postpone the flogging due to general busy-ness...but will probably have 2 hours in the morning

Clean eating...washing hands is overrated (plus, it can lead to ECZEMA ).   To me it means I cook everything I eat.  I eat only foods that are real...not from a box.  I mean, I eat bread from a bag - but only the good stuff.  Generally I eat pretty good, but do enjoy salty snacks...like pretzels.  not so clean.  but not awful.  THe fewer ingredients on a label, the cleaner it is...take a bell pepper's label...it would say "bell pepper"   It can even mean shopping at a butcher rather than at the grocery to avoid meats that are overprocessed or contain hormones and antibiotics.  Milking your own cow, which would be kind of difficult here in the land of zero land lots!

I was a vegetarian (but ate fish) for 15 years.  I craved meat when I was preggers with my daughter so I ate it.  She is a vegetarian, oddly enough.  I eat meat now, but not much...it IS a very convenient source of protein.  The red not so much.  It kind of grosses me out though.  I was cleaning the pork roast the other day and was going to vomit looking at it.  Really.  THen I start thinking about what it is I am eating....eeeeewwwww....however, it IS convenient.  As a vegetarian, you have to plan better and pay more attention. 

Did I answer a question or just ramble on??????  HA. 

OH, and please except the floggings in the spirit in which they are intended...just to keep you on track and in the game.  I mean no harm...believe me, I could use a flogging myself-anyone?  bueller? 

2008-03-24 9:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

I heard clean eating described this way once-- would your great-grandmother have had access to it on the farm 100 years ago? If not, YOU PROBABLY SHOULDN'T BE EATING IT, EITHER. 

GROUPER- if you've been looking at my inspires-- alright- I was going to hold it in, and I might eat some BUT here goes-

Our dear friend, John (In fact, he and his wife just left our house not 30 minutes ago- we made him 40th birthday dinner) who went to S.Carolina last year at this time-  on day one of his vacation, ate a grouper sandwich- and went into anphylactic shock- saved literally from death by his highly allergic to nut son's epi pen that they carry at all times. Apparently, grouper, if not cooled properly at sea, can develop a toxin that can be a deadly allergen. It took until about February of this year (yes, LAST MONTH) - for John to feel like himself again.  Poor John. And I say this because three years before THAT, when he and his wife and kids were on vacation in S. Carolina, their house burned TO THE GROUND from some electrical issue, and they lost everything but each other!  They are  leaving for S. Carolina (family there-that's why they go there) on Wednesday for vacation-- PRAY FOR HIM. He needs a complete quiet vacation. When we toasted his birthday, I told him - he's the luckiest person I know- he keeps escaping these near disasters unscathed and moves on! What a great couple they are. 

So the grouper. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I think I might stick with snapper.

2008-03-24 9:07 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
That is the craziest thing I've heard today!!!  I've been eating grouper for years now..you're friend John has a black cloud and a white angel hanging over him it seems!!  We used to live in SC for a while...Charleston/Folly Beach.  Mostly you hear of hurricanes, not houses burning to the ground/near grouper death experiences.  So glad he was there to toast his 40th!!!!
2008-03-24 9:11 PM
in reply to: #1290779

User image

Master
South Florida
breckview - 2008-03-24 7:38 PM
aquinn - 2008-03-24 12:24 PM

I feel compelled to defend myself on is the swimming=

I would have used the simple, "it sucks to swim when it's cold and snowy outside." Because it does!

WEll, I have a comeback for this...go visit my buddies MESTEREN and JOBLIN!  They live in Iceland and swim OUTDOORS year round Surprised

2008-03-24 9:14 PM
in reply to: #1291064

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
It was their house here in Lake Placid that burned while they were on vacation! They came home to a pile of ash-- but really, a total blessing that they were away- perfectly safe in S. Carolina!
2008-03-24 9:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

This is basically what happened to John last year:

"Scombrotoxic fish poisoning also known as scombroid or histamine fish poisoning, is caused by bacterial spoilage of certain finfish such as tuna, mackerel, bonito, and, rarely, other fish. As bacteria break down fish proteins, byproducts such as histamine and other substances that block histamine breakdown build up in fish. Eating spoiled fish that have high levels of these histamines can cause in human disease. Symptoms begin within 2 minutes to 2 hours after eating the fish. The most common symptoms are rash, diarrhea, flushing, sweating, headache, and vomiting. Burning or swelling of the mouth, abdominal pain, or a metallic taste may also occur. The majority of patients have mild symptoms that resolve within a few hours. Treatment is generally unnecessary, but antihistamines or epinephrine may be needed in certain instances. Symptoms may be more severe in patients taking certain medications that slow the breakdown of histamine by their liver, such as isoniazide and doxycycline."

2008-03-24 9:20 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
I have some good Tofu recipes Sealed
2008-03-25 12:05 AM
in reply to: #1291081

User image

Veteran
Tucson
aquinn - 2008-03-24 8:18 PM

This is basically what happened to John last year:

"Scombrotoxic fish poisoning also known as scombroid or histamine fish poisoning, is caused by bacterial spoilage of certain finfish such as tuna, mackerel, bonito, and, rarely, other fish. As bacteria break down fish proteins, byproducts such as histamine and other substances that block histamine breakdown build up in fish. Eating spoiled fish that have high levels of these histamines can cause in human disease. Symptoms begin within 2 minutes to 2 hours after eating the fish. The most common symptoms are rash, diarrhea, flushing, sweating, headache, and vomiting. Burning or swelling of the mouth, abdominal pain, or a metallic taste may also occur. The majority of patients have mild symptoms that resolve within a few hours. Treatment is generally unnecessary, but antihistamines or epinephrine may be needed in certain instances. Symptoms may be more severe in patients taking certain medications that slow the breakdown of histamine by their liver, such as isoniazide and doxycycline."

Salmon is nice, too Innocent

2008-03-25 7:42 AM

User image

Master
South Florida

my bag of mini robin's eggs is almost gone.  I did have a *little* help from outside forces, but not much.  I think I don't like them anymore   Guess moderation is important with the eggs as well!!!

2008-03-25 8:47 AM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

Oh my it seems you guys have been busy while I was gone. At least I've been busy with workouts so Mimi doesn't have to come after me.  

I ran on Sunday and it was relatively pain free so I'm pretty excited about race weekend.  I know I'm not going to do as well as I had originally hoped since I haven't been able to do any speed work but I'll do my best. 

I'm actually thinking about two things for this weekend.  I'm going to talk to my coach about doing the Sprint on Sat and the Quarter on Sunday.  At this point it will make my Quarter time a little slower but it would be fun.  Heck, I'm suppose to be ready for a HIM in two weeks so this should be a walk in the park. ...I am sooo not ready for the HIM.  Next two weeks should be fun.  

The other thing I'm thinking about is renting race wheels.  I've never used them before and thought I'd give them a shot. Mimi am I fast enough already for them to do me any good?

2008-03-25 10:27 AM
in reply to: #1291568

User image

Master
South Florida
tri-chic - 2008-03-25 9:47 AM

Oh my it seems you guys have been busy while I was gone. At least I've been busy with workouts so Mimi doesn't have to come after me.  

I ran on Sunday and it was relatively pain free so I'm pretty excited about race weekend.  I know I'm not going to do as well as I had originally hoped since I haven't been able to do any speed work but I'll do my best. 

I'm actually thinking about two things for this weekend.  I'm going to talk to my coach about doing the Sprint on Sat and the Quarter on Sunday.  At this point it will make my Quarter time a little slower but it would be fun.  Heck, I'm suppose to be ready for a HIM in two weeks so this should be a walk in the park. ...I am sooo not ready for the HIM.  Next two weeks should be fun.  

The other thing I'm thinking about is renting race wheels.  I've never used them before and thought I'd give them a shot. Mimi am I fast enough already for them to do me any good?

My husband got me a set of race wheels for IMFL...If you want to rent them, go ahead, but I don't know that I would bother.  It's up to you - if it makes you feel good, go ahead!
2008-03-25 11:30 AM

User image

Master
South Florida

ugh.  I feel a bit sick.  I blame the robin's eggs, followed by the pretzels and hummus and then the peanut butter cup.  Plus, my head and throat hurt.   It's the weather change I am certain.  Anything below 65 and I just don't feel right!  I had anticipated reporting they were all gone today, but I am going to throw the robin's eggs away before I do myself in.  From no processed food to this.  Sick. Embarassed

I am going to the dog park with the dog and Quinn - will do her science there and run the dog (multitasker) then hope to resume flogging!  My MIL's bday is tonight and now we are going to the Melting Pot, so maybe not..we'll see.  So there goes another day of proper eating!!! 

2008-03-25 11:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO- I love me the Melting Pot- another thing we usually do when in Florida!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME Rss Feed  

of 36