BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-11-24 1:39 PM
in reply to: #3224877

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!
lufferly - 2010-11-24 11:44 AM

STEVE B, here's my thoughts on my training. I thought starting my longer distance running earlier in the season (and continuing throughout the summer) would be helpful, but it hasn't been. No improvement in my pace, and I'm just to the point, I'm tired of sweating it out on just about every run. And in starting earlier, in hopes of seeing more improvement, I've neglected my biking and swimming. And I still have 9 weeks until I'm done with my longer running races.

The low is supposed to be 70 tomorrow, which if fine if it's 70, say in Colorado (since I was recently in those temps in that region) ... it's another thing in Houston. I might as well go and run in the sauna at the gym. Of course, it is better than the 90 degree temps this summer   If the weather is like it is this morning (74 degrees) but breezy and cloudy, it might be tolerable. I did the race last year (44 degrees) in 57' with a goal under 1 hour.  My goal is always just to improve my own time.

I'm just frustrated that it is unlikely that I'll see any improvement on my times in my upcoming races.  My training partner has been struggling all season, and I think, that's held me up a bit in my runs. Our last 10 mile run 2 1/2 weeks ago was disastrous (sp?). My 10 mile race in October wasn't all that bad, even though I didn't meet my goal, so I'm trying to remember that. Had a great 9 mile run a few weeks ago. I did 8.3 miles Sunday on my own, and it was OK (even running in the upper 60s). I usually run 3 times a week and have only missed out on that two weeks recently, when we went to Denver and when my husband was out of town. I think at this point the issue is mental.

OK, I'm done whining ... for now!  All is good, as I definitely learned something this season.  Now, off to make stuffing, cinnamon apples and green bean casserole.

LISA

Oh yay, someone is finally talking about food for Thanksgiving! Green bean casserole... yum! I'll be making pumpkin cheesecake squares and pecan cherry stuffing.

By the way Lisa, I am SO with you on the hot weather runs. I was so happy when the weather finally cooled off up here in September and I wasn't a sweaty, red-faced, exhausted, huffing/puffing mess at the end of my runs. In fact, I have a new appreciation for runs in frigid temperatures. I'll take that over hot weather runs any day. I hope the weather cooperates and you have cool temps tomorrow!

Tracey

2010-11-24 5:25 PM
in reply to: #3225231

User image

Champion

Before I forget......

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you turkeyphiliacs tomorrow. Think of Anne and me while you're gorging yourselves......eh??

2010-11-24 5:29 PM
in reply to: #3225497

User image

Champion

MANDY -

I was meaning non-linear in the sense that training has its up and downs and that good performances are invariable followed at some point by less-than-ggod ones -- even for Chrissie!

But your interpretation also implies, in that I wish my current swim training was non-linear as in NO BLACK LANE-LINE TO FOLLOW!! But, alas, that is about 5.83 months away. The good news is that I'm at least at peace with the pool.....mostly.....I think.

2010-11-24 5:33 PM
in reply to: #3225202

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

Winter running gear, eh? Well, take a couple of weeks off for now, see how you feel.....and then get all bundled up and head to the great outdoors! With the right gear, it actually is kind of fun to run outside in the winter. You may have to pick your days some to ensure that you're not out when it's bitter cold or mega-windy, but 70% of the days should be fine for you. Trust me!

2010-11-24 5:37 PM
in reply to: #3225202

User image

Champion

TRACEY again -

And as a follow-up to the previous one, I would bet my left elbow that if you can maintain some fairly consistent run training over the winter, you will have no trouble regualrly meeting/exceeding the time goals/hopes you mentioned. I just don't see any reason for you to have hit a plateau, let alone a peak, so next season should be a continuation of the trajectory you displayed this year.

Trust me on this, too!

2010-11-24 5:52 PM
in reply to: #3225221

User image

Champion

TRACEY once more -

Do you realy mean rollers, or are you thinking of a trainer? A trainer is the conventional piece of equipment, into which your bike gets "locked" in the back with the front wheel resting on a block. During trainer sessions, the only wheel thta moves is the rear wheel; the front one just sits there.

Rollers are an entirely different species. They involve three, uh rollers, and involve balance, pure and simple. The bike is not locked into anything, and the only thing that keeps one upright is momentum and firm (yet relaxed) handling skills. I always have my rolelrs between a couch and a wheel, so if I sytart to tip or my front wheel goes off the roler unit, I can brace myself without falling. Rollers are a blast, but the learning curve can be steep. (I started by having my daughter standing in front of me for the first few sessions and steadying the bike until I could pick up speed.)

I know this is hard to picture, so go to YouTube and find a brief video showing someone on rolelrs. try to fins the average shlep, not some roadie super-stud -- thos e are the guys who can do the rollers with no hands AND eat a sandwich. Seriously! I'm pretty goofd at them by now......but not even close to that level, and never have been. When I ride them, I need my aero-drink bottle right there, because I don't trust myslf enough to reach for a bottle. I guess I've done that once or twice, but it's always full of folly.

ANYHOW, were you to get a trainer (preferably a fluid trainer), that would be great for you. I have mine in front of the TV, and will usually have that (or a movie) on while riding. (In fact, the only time I watch movies at home is when I'm on the trainer....so I haven't watched a movie since last March!) The only trick with a trainer is keeping up the intensity; also keeping up some variety. Things like single-leg drills work really well on a trainer; there are lots of other technique-based workouts that are trainer-worthy.

With Anne talking about her CompuTrainer sessions, i am sorry that I have loaned mine out with the purpose of selling it. I loved it for a few years, but our computer room is dreary and I just couldn't handle the tedium of that environmant for longer efforts. So.........

If you're in the market for a good trainer, check out Kurt Kinetic fluid trainers. Let me know how you're doing with this!

2010-11-24 6:03 PM
in reply to: #3224736

User image

Champion

ANNE -

If your winter of CT sessions doesn't lead to huge gains next season, I'll be a (excuse the imagery..... ) three-peckered billygoat. I just don't see any way that they cannot improve your peformances dramatically, and I actaully believe that were you to do a tri tomorrwo, you would find an improved bike time/effort. I'm just reading between the lines, perhaps, but the "courses" you've ridden on the CT and the limits you have pushed must already be having a positive effect.

As I just siad to tracey, reading about your CT adventures makes me sad that mine is currently farmed out to hooslisa from the other group. At the time I loaned-it-to-buy to her, it seemed like a good idea. the possible money for it STILL seems like a good idea.....but right now I'd just love to have it here and be doing the sessions you're doing. I don't think she's used it yet, and it might be that it'll be back with me next winter. That might not be such a bad thing after all!

I should also get my old Cervelo up and running as my designated indoor bike. It is crazy to put that wear and tear on my good bike, so maybe I'll try to do that very soon. Keep bugging me about it, okay??

You are outstanding about body maintenance, but I guess you know that. Outside of professionals, you have to be in the top 1% of triathletes who take all those one-step-above-and-beyond measures to make sure that their body is functioning at its absolute best. Kudos!!!!

2010-11-24 6:19 PM
in reply to: #3224877

User image

Champion

LISA -

Ahhh, I'm sorry you've hit the emotional wall with the long(er) runs. When you refer to "sweating it out", is that literally, as in hot runs, or mentally, as in fussing about achieving a faster pace? Or both.

It would be ideal if you had a good experience in Memphis that could catapult you into the training for Houston in January. I know you are worried about some of the recent runs and the lack of consistency with them, but sometimes good results can come out of patchy efforts. I've had any number of good races that have been preceded by injury-cautious training, and it just works out that come race day, it all comes together. I think that for St.Jude's you have to keep the better runs at the forefront of your consciousness, and jettison the disasters post-haste. You HAVE had some good runs leading up to St.Jude's, so the basic foundation is there. Not you just need some confidence.....anfd a bit of cooperation from the weather gods!

And if you do do the 5-miler tomorrow, keep in mind how handily your shattered your goal last year! Also keep in mind that you've effectively done all of this over-training for it en route to the half-marathon; five miles should be a breeze for you!

Finally, don't fret about foregoing cycling and swimming in lieu of running; that's what happens when we get a specific one-sport goal going for a while. After Houston, you will have lots of time to swim and bike! I really think the broad goal you set around the two half-marathons was a good one, and I hope that when Houston is in the books, you will see it that way, too.

How's the stuffing and bean casserole coming?

And if you run the five-miler tomorrow, I'll send mojo there to spirit you along the way!

2010-11-25 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3225544

User image

Champion

DENISE --

Whoa! It just dawned on me -- didn't your dear daughter goad you into a wee 10km today? Are you doing it? DID you do it? Did you show her what good ol' mom still has left?

Hope it went well!

2010-11-26 10:11 PM
in reply to: #3226120

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
stevebradley - 2010-11-25 1:26 PM DENISE -- Whoa! It just dawned on me -- didn't your dear daughter goad you into a wee 10km today? Are you doing it? DID you do it? Did you show her what good ol' mom still has left? Hope it went well!

Oh Steve, I am in pain - my legs are so sore.  I was ok yesterday after the race but today I can hardly walk. The race route was a lot more up and down than I'm used to and it was hard running on icy pavement and slushy snow.  I thought I'd be able to run a 9:45 pace but I was happy with the 10:17 I ended up with - it was good enough for 2nd in age group and I won a gift certificate.  My daughter was a couple minutes faster.  About 750 people raced which surprised me because it was 9F (-14C) and there was a wind too.  It was soooo cold waiting for the race to start - once we were running the temp wasn't bad.

Also, the night before, when we got to Minneapolis from Madison, I skidded on the ice, jumped a curb and ran into a pole - $4500 damage estimate.  But that pole kept us from ending up in a creek bed so I'm happy.

Anyway, we both had a blast at the race.  Now I have to catch up on posts.

Denise

2010-11-27 6:47 AM
in reply to: #3227012

Master
Kitchener
LadyNorth - 2010-11-26 11:11 PM
stevebradley - 2010-11-25 1:26 PM DENISE -- Whoa! It just dawned on me -- didn't your dear daughter goad you into a wee 10km today? Are you doing it? DID you do it? Did you show her what good ol' mom still has left? Hope it went well!

Oh Steve, I am in pain - my legs are so sore.  I was ok yesterday after the race but today I can hardly walk. The race route was a lot more up and down than I'm used to and it was hard running on icy pavement and slushy snow.  I thought I'd be able to run a 9:45 pace but I was happy with the 10:17 I ended up with - it was good enough for 2nd in age group and I won a gift certificate.  My daughter was a couple minutes faster.  About 750 people raced which surprised me because it was 9F (-14C) and there was a wind too.  It was soooo cold waiting for the race to start - once we were running the temp wasn't bad.

Also, the night before, when we got to Minneapolis from Madison, I skidded on the ice, jumped a curb and ran into a pole - $4500 damage estimate.  But that pole kept us from ending up in a creek bed so I'm happy.

Anyway, we both had a blast at the race.  Now I have to catch up on posts.

Denise

Oh my GOSH!   I am glad it was only the car that got damaged and you didn't get hurt!  Do you think some of your pain might be from the accident?   Did you get jerked around at all? 

CONGRATULATIONS on the race!  I had forgotten about it.   Running in those road conditions and the cold is pretty impressive to me.   I think that was a great pace.   Even though you warm up, the muscles just do not respond in the same way in those temps.  

Go out and buy some dead sea salts and essential oils and have a good soak!!   Smile  You deserve it! 

2010-11-27 7:15 AM
in reply to: #3225530

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-11-24 7:03 PM ANNE - If your winter of CT sessions doesn't lead to huge gains next season, I'll be a (excuse the imagery..... ) three-peckered billygoat. I just don't see any way that they cannot improve your peformances dramatically, and I actaully believe that were you to do a tri tomorrwo, you would find an improved bike time/effort. I'm just reading between the lines, perhaps, but the "courses" you've ridden on the CT and the limits you have pushed must already be having a positive effect. As I just siad to tracey, reading about your CT adventures makes me sad that mine is currently farmed out to hooslisa from the other group. At the time I loaned-it-to-buy to her, it seemed like a good idea. the possible money for it STILL seems like a good idea.....but right now I'd just love to have it here and be doing the sessions you're doing. I don't think she's used it yet, and it might be that it'll be back with me next winter. That might not be such a bad thing after all! I should also get my old Cervelo up and running as my designated indoor bike. It is crazy to put that wear and tear on my good bike, so maybe I'll try to do that very soon. Keep bugging me about it, okay?? You are outstanding about body maintenance, but I guess you know that. Outside of professionals, you have to be in the top 1% of triathletes who take all those one-step-above-and-beyond measures to make sure that their body is functioning at its absolute best. Kudos!!!!

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the up-lifting post.   I appreciate it.   Wanted to let you know that I have been staying away from the group posts during the week because I am trying to stay off the computer as much as possible.   It has a way of eating up alot of my time and I have been focussing on coming up with a routine or schedule that fits our lifestyle well enough to allow the HIM and eventually IM training to be consistent, without causing alot of disruption.   

The last couple of weeks have gone really well in that regard and I have had boundless energy for some reason.   I have really been paying attention to the quality and quantity of nutrition.   Have a feeling I was not eating enough.

That CT is the absolute best thing that has happened to me.   I just LOVE it and I think you are right.   I have gotten stronger already.   I was pushing 240 watts on Thursday and it was not like I was killing myself to do it.  Of course, only did it for a short time.   Not sure if you checked the Thursday session but it was the best so far.  

I took my trainer bike in for a tune up and aero bars and will use the True North next week.   Wanted to compare the 2 bikes and see if the fit is the same or one is better than the other in terms of power output.   Spoke with one of the CT instructors who is also an IM; he uses a trainer bike on the CT and starts using his race bike about 5 weeks out from his first race.   I think you need to get that CT back OR get a new one.  Laughing The new software is pretty impressive and although I do  not have first hand experience, supposed to be much more user friendly.  

Swimming is coming along and I have backed off the running for a couple of weeks to get the foot situation under control.  Going to do some water running.   If you do short, hard, interval work it simulates running very well but just doing slow and long really is not that good, apparently.   You have to get the HR up to where it is when you run outside (minus 10 beats).   I guess the water affects it somehow.    Will run on the indoor track on Sunday. 

Next week is a recovery week so short and easy.    Noticed that Christmas week is a recovery week as well, so that is a bonus! 

What are you up to this weekend.   If you are wondering why I donèt use contractions or questin marks, as you can see, my keyboard has gone wacky and I am getting French symbols.   Have to turn the computer off to reset it.
2010-11-27 8:10 AM
in reply to: #3225522

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-11-24 6:52 PM

TRACEY once more -

Do you realy mean rollers, or are you thinking of a trainer? A trainer is the conventional piece of equipment, into which your bike gets "locked" in the back with the front wheel resting on a block. During trainer sessions, the only wheel thta moves is the rear wheel; the front one just sits there.

Rollers are an entirely different species. They involve three, uh rollers, and involve balance, pure and simple. The bike is not locked into anything, and the only thing that keeps one upright is momentum and firm (yet relaxed) handling skills. I always have my rolelrs between a couch and a wheel, so if I sytart to tip or my front wheel goes off the roler unit, I can brace myself without falling. Rollers are a blast, but the learning curve can be steep. (I started by having my daughter standing in front of me for the first few sessions and steadying the bike until I could pick up speed.)

I know this is hard to picture, so go to YouTube and find a brief video showing someone on rolelrs. try to fins the average shlep, not some roadie super-stud -- thos e are the guys who can do the rollers with no hands AND eat a sandwich. Seriously! I'm pretty goofd at them by now......but not even close to that level, and never have been. When I ride them, I need my aero-drink bottle right there, because I don't trust myslf enough to reach for a bottle. I guess I've done that once or twice, but it's always full of folly.

ANYHOW, were you to get a trainer (preferably a fluid trainer), that would be great for you. I have mine in front of the TV, and will usually have that (or a movie) on while riding. (In fact, the only time I watch movies at home is when I'm on the trainer....so I haven't watched a movie since last March!) The only trick with a trainer is keeping up the intensity; also keeping up some variety. Things like single-leg drills work really well on a trainer; there are lots of other technique-based workouts that are trainer-worthy.

With Anne talking about her CompuTrainer sessions, i am sorry that I have loaned mine out with the purpose of selling it. I loved it for a few years, but our computer room is dreary and I just couldn't handle the tedium of that environmant for longer efforts. So.........

If you're in the market for a good trainer, check out Kurt Kinetic fluid trainers. Let me know how you're doing with this!

Steve:

The fact that I am using the term "roller" but really mean a trainer goes to show how little I know about the options available...

But based on what you say, it sounds like a trainer is more what I need. I'm not necessarily a klutz, but I can totally see myself crashing onto the hard basement floor if I were to attempt to use a roller! Thanks for the recommendation - I have seen that brand recommended before.

Tracey

2010-11-27 1:29 PM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Tracey,

You asked about spin classes.  I did one once a week last winter (45").  It worked out well with my swim lap times.  It was really hard work (although you can adjust resistance to make it less hard).  I think it was a good idea.  I honestly think it helped me get faster this last season.

My current winter maintenance program has me doing one a week but I haven't started yet - will start in 2 weeks.

1h 00m----------
Spin Class
Aerobic Fitness
Stay with a smooth pedaling stroke and keep your HR aerobic!

The rest of the time I'll be on my trainer.

Denise
2010-11-27 1:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Anne,

I am SO jealous of your CT sessions - I have heard they really help you improve.

My legs are better today but I am going to get some bath salts for the future - I've been out of commission for 2 days.

Denise
2010-11-27 1:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Lisa,

Oh, I feel for you.  I was complaining about my very cold Thanksgiving race - but I for sure prefer that to your 70+.

Also, training partners don't work for everyone.  I know I much prefer training alone - there's just too many variables between two runners on any given day.  Although, a lot of people prefer having the company - and find it motivating.

Denise

2010-11-27 1:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Steve,

The Pine River guy, Troy Bouma, finished AZ in 12:30.  I was tracking him and was surprised at his slow bike splits but you mentioned something about it being really windy.

Was John Grisham the "really huge" popular author you were trying to think of in a previous post.

Denise
2010-11-27 2:15 PM

Master
Kitchener
STEVEB,

Just had to let you know I had a good run/walk session today.   Had planned to water run, but plans change.  Laughing  Thought I'd save you the time of going over to my log and did a cut and paste.   

Rec Centre - Indoor track (250 meters)
Really good run.
1km walk warm up with orthotics; took orthotics off for running.
3 x 1km (1 lap run/1 lap walk)
1 x 1km slow, continuous
500 meter walk cool down.

No issues with tight shin and nothing going on with metatarsals of left foot. Rabbi is on to something, I think, with loosening the muscles of the thorasic spine and then strengthening them.  (They worked on them again on Thurs)

Ran what I thought was my normal 'fast' pace, but not sprinting by any means, and found I was running 250 meters in 1.15 ; and it was rather effortless. I cut 15 seconds off w/o trying so I really think it has to do with better thorasic mobility. They are pretty adamant about the connection with foot pain and the thorasic spine. I am more than cautiously optimistic.

First 2 kms of walk/run were 7.59 with rather long walks because of the drills; 3rd km of walk/run was 7 minutes and the final slow km of continuous running was about 6:30. For the past 3 weeks the metatarsal pain has started at the 3rd lap or 750 meters of running, so this is a hopefully a good sign.

On the walk laps, I did running drills and plyometric work.

Put the orthotics back in for the trip home and continued to wear for another 2 hours while standing in kitchen.   Several hours later and foot is still feeling good. 

2010-11-27 5:39 PM
in reply to: #3227012

User image

Champion

DENISE -

What an eventful couple of days! Of course, I am every thankful that you established contact with a strategically-placed plole that prevented you from plunging into the creek bed. I hope your insurance can cover most of the repair costs.

As for the run and the subsequent soreness, you were shanghaied (Is that now politically incorrect? And did I even spell it correctly?) by the topography and the sketchy running surface, which conspired to make your legs and everything else work differently than is normal for you and them. Even short runs on ice/now/slush will make me feel muscles that I didn't know were there, and in your case there was the added factor of the ups and the downs. And for 10km, to have to suffer all that.........I just hope dear daughter feels some remorse!

Going at a 10:17 pace sounds good for all of that, and I hope you are pleased with the result, mostly; sounds like you are. And I suspect that within a day or two your legs will start to feel normal again, or at least significantly less sore. Do you ever do epsom slat baths when your legs are really sore? I do, and I like to believe they work. maybe it's just a placebo effect....but when in muscular crisis I'll take a good old placebo anytime!

Yes! Grisham was the one! I kept trying to come up with James Michener, and knew I was pre-dating things a bit.

As for IMAZ, the wind was really, really awful. One person I knew who did it saw two guys that were blown off their bikes, and a spectator there said that at elast ten people had that fate. For all the wind I consistently face around here, i have never had that happen to me, and only once did I worry for a minute that it might. As Neil (who also did IMAZ) from the other group said, when conditions are that windy on a day he has scheduled a bike ride......he cancels the bike ride. That would be my position, too! (ANNE, on the other hand, seems to relish riding in anything!)

Good luck with your car and your legs -- and not necessarily in that order!

2010-11-27 5:51 PM
in reply to: #3227149

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

The only thing that really can't be done on a trainer is bike-control stuff; being locked in at the rear wheel makes that moot. So for practically anyone who is NOT a roadie and doesn't need to have exquisite handling skills, a trainer is far more valuable than rollers.

Having said that, rollers can now come with a stabilizing brace that attaches at the front. I have never seen this in preson, but i guess the advantage is that when you want to do more complicated riding you can use the brace, but then detach it for the hair-trigger bike handling work.

As with other aspects of my training over the years, i have gotten somewhat lazy. I used to do the rollers fairly religiously and felt sufficiently challenged and all righteous, but now I keep them for when I'm feeling either frisky or overly guilty. They really are a hoot, though, and invariably, the first couple of times I use them each off-season I'm quite shaky and tentative.....and then the old skills kick in and I'm fine.

But if you have to choose just one, you are far better off with a decent trainer and a Spinervals DVD or two or three. A quick note on that, though, is to NOT feel intimidated by what the Spinervals are asking you to do. I find many of them highly demanding, and if you can find one of the easier ones (rating of 6.0 or 7.0?) start there. The ones at the top of the rating scale are murderous!

A grat source of trainer workouts is "Workouts in a Binder for Indoor Cyclists". This is published by Velo Press,a nd is written by Dirk Friel and Wes Hobson. Most good bikes shops ought to have this, but it can be ordered from Velo press itself, or www.tri-zone.com.

2010-11-27 6:10 PM
in reply to: #3227355

User image

Champion

ANNE -

I think you have every reason to be more than cautiously optimistic. The whole thorasic spine/shin/metatarsal continuum theory seems to be proving itself, as evidenced by the realtive absence of metatarsal discomfort, both during and (even!) two hours after.

And then the time improvements just add to the optimism, huh? Cutting 15s off of 250m is pretty dramatic, and even more so if it just happened without you actually aiming for it.

Just Curious, Part 1: Which running drills are you doing during the walk breaks? Whatever they are -- great way to spend that time!

Just Curious, Part 2: Are you now doing your run workouts WITHOUT the orthotics? And are they full length or something less? And are you absoultely rigid, or partially flexible?

Just Curious, Part 3: The "Rabbi" to which you refer.......that is a person's first name, who happens to be a therapist, as opposed to your religious leader, who I guess also happens to be a therapist, yes?

Just Curious, Part 4: Is the shin tightness you mention on the inside or outside? My guess is inside.

Just Curious, Part 5: Are you cheering for the Roughriders tomorrow? I'm taking you for an Argos girl, and Ken a Lions boy, so neither of you are thrilled with the team that knocked off your respective baby. I still think fondly of my time living in Saskatoon, and even though that is not the same as Regina (thank goodness! ), Sakatchewan is Saskatchewan is Saskatchewan. GO ROUGHRIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2010-11-27 10:27 PM
in reply to: #3227462

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-11-27 7:10 PM ANNE - I think you have every reason to be more than cautiously optimistic. The whole thorasic spine/shin/metatarsal continuum theory seems to be proving itself, as evidenced by the realtive absence of metatarsal discomfort, both during and (even!) two hours after. And then the time improvements just add to the optimism, huh? Cutting 15s off of 250m is pretty dramatic, and even more so if it just happened without you actually aiming for it. Just Curious, Part 1: Which running drills are you doing during the walk breaks? Whatever they are -- great way to spend that time!

High knees; kick butt; walking leg extensions (kicking leg straight out to hip level); skipping (like you used to do when you were a kid) gently at first and building a plyometric jump into it coming from the ankles.  I love that one; I can bounce pretty high in the air and come down very lightly; alternating walking on heels and toes;  the plyometric skipping gets the HR up pretty good.

Just Curious, Part 2: Are you now doing your run workouts WITHOUT the orthotics? And are they full length or something less? And are you absoultely rigid, or partially flexible?

I have not worn the orthotics since I got the knee problem in March.  Right now, running w/o orthotics.  However, I plan to start running WITH them, but I need to build up slowly; once I've worn them straight for 3 hours or so, then I can start running with them.   Probably one more week.  They are full length and pretty flexible. 

Just Curious, Part 3: The "Rabbi" to which you refer.......that is a person's first name, who happens to be a therapist, as opposed to your religious leader, who I guess also happens to be a therapist, yes?

Yes, Rabbi is the name of my physio therapist NOT my other therapist.      He's some kind of high level 'master' therapist, of which there are very few in Ontario.   He treats the Kitchener Rangers.   That in itself doesn't mean he is good, but he IS.

Just Curious, Part 4: Is the shin tightness you mention on the inside or outside? My guess is inside.

Nope.  The tightness that I usually get is on the outside - starts about two inches above the ankle and stops about 2 inches below the knee.  That has plagued me for a couple of years and used to disappear after rubbing it alot or sometimes after running for 3-4 km.   Hasn't shown itself for the last 3 runs.  

Just Curious, Part 5: Are you cheering for the Roughriders tomorrow? I'm taking you for an Argos girl, and Ken a Lions boy, so neither of you are thrilled with the team that knocked off your respective baby.

I'm sorry, WHO are the Argos?     Although I don't dislike football, I just don't watch it, nor does Ken.   He is interested I know that,  but doesn't want to take the time to watch the games.    I hope your ROUGHRIDERS win! 

I still think fondly of my time living in Saskatoon, and even though that is not the same as Regina (thank goodness! ), Sakatchewan is Saskatchewan is Saskatchewan. GO ROUGHRIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2010-11-28 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3227604

User image

Champion

ANNE -

G'morning! Thank you for those responses, and I'll satrt by saying that I am envious of your discipline (yet again), this time as it pertains to you doing the running drills. I treat those the asame way I treat general stretching -- kind of benign neglect. I know I should do both......but it just doesn't happen.

There was a time, maybe '03-'04ish, when I engaged in frenzied bouts of stretching, like, 3-4X a week for about an hour a time. And after each of those periods I would revisit the reality that i did not seem to be even a micro-iota more flexible than I was previously, so I jettisoned that part of my training. It is so different from weight-work, which I have been doing continuously since I first started it in January of '05. Aside from the span between each mid-June and mid-October, I haven't let it lapse at all. It is something I really enjoy AND see the benefits of pursuing as avidly as I can make fit.

As for your shin tightness, I think I remember you telling me the location previously, and thinking that it wa an odd place. Or, at least odd in a "shin splints" sense, which usually manifests itself medially. Has anybody told you that your situation is related at all to the fibula?

Your orthotics sound like good ones, ones that are actually designed for running. Are you giving any thought to not returning to them, if it so happens that your running continues to go well without them?

Having a therapist who also attends to the Rangers IS a good thing, I think! They are consistently a solid team, and that has to encompass all levels of the organization, including strength and conditioning and rehab. You're fortunate to have him at your beck and call!

I can get psyched about wtaching football pretty easily, but I'm more of an NFL guy. Still, I will devote no mean amount of time watching the G.C. today, likely while I'm on my bike. I've done rides of 30, 62, and 50 minutes in the past four days, and this evening I might aim for 75 minutes and then keep going, minute by minute by minute until I can't bear the tedium any longer. My talk of rollers with Tracey has me thinking it's about time I climbed on those, so maybe I'll do a two-fer today --- a rollers/trainer combo. Oh, bliss!

We had hardwood floors sanded and refinished yesterday, so I fear I have lost countless brain cells from the fumes. He is coming back today to re-sand and add another layer, so that means more brain cells will be lost to me. Sigh. I'm getting too old and too generally addled to be depleted like this!

2010-11-28 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3227335

Master
Kitchener
LadyNorth - 2010-11-27 2:32 PM Anne,

I am SO jealous of your CT sessions - I have heard they really help you improve.

My legs are better today but I am going to get some bath salts for the future - I've been out of commission for 2 days.

Denise

I won't deny, I'm loving the CT sessions.   I have wanted to do them for years and you know how sometimes you build something up so much in your mind and have great expectations, only to be disappointed.  Well, I thought that might happen with the CT but not so; it has actually exceeded them.  

I'm hooked on the dead sea and epsom salts.   I save the dead sea for special occasions.   The 2 salts have different effects on the body and what toxins they target.   Epsoms on their own are good, but especially effective for preventing and relieving muscle soreness if you add: 2 drops spruce; 3 drops juniper and 6 drops cedar wood to 2 cups epsoms. 

2010-11-28 9:24 AM
in reply to: #3224098

Master
Kitchener
SAquavia - 2010-11-23 7:46 PM
stevebradley - 2010-11-22 3:42 AM STEVE - Wakety-wakety! I know you caught your last person only a few hours ago, but it's time to get up and join the line of volunteers-signing-up-for-'11. Before too long, you'll have your Game Plan in place! Ta-da!

Well, funny you mention that....

I'm already waffling on my "off season" plan.  After seeing the course, riding the bike leg and running a loop, this course is FAST.  Can't help but think of a low number for next year - easier said than done though, when you're only doing 1/3rd of the distance.  LOL!!  I want to get started right now, but I know that it's a long year until then - don't want to burn out before I get there. 

What struck me about the course is that as flat as it is, it's dangerous for many different reasons than say, St. George was.  At St. George, people were walking from the start of the marathon - there was a lot of carnage everywhere.  At Arizona, everyone was running early.  I have a sneaking suspicion that part of it was the way the course is set up - you're so close to the spectators most of the time, that you don't want to walk.  At St. George, it was different - you got on the high part of the course and it was just aid stations - no real spectators.  At Arizona, you're in the spectator's eyes much more and I think that keeps people running more.  At St. George, the hills were also long hills - I suspect many started walking up the hills only to find that they had walked so long - 15-20 minutes - that they couldn't get to running again.  Anyway, I wonder how many were melting down later on the run as a result.  When I was out on the run course, it was relatively early in the race, so I was probably seeing the fitter runners and the start of their runs.

Another danger for IMAZ - pacing.  Pacing is always a key issue, but for different reasons at AZ.  At a race like Silverman or IMSG, if you didn't pace the bike, you'd find yourself on trouble on the bike and run.  The late hills and such would get you if you didn't leave something in the tank.  At IMAZ, because you're coming into the transition area 3 times on the bike, you can't help but want to hammer hard.  The crowds are incredible there and for a good 1.5 - 2 mile stretch, you  have screaming fans on each of the 3 loops.  We saw people really cranking hard and putting on a good show - I wonder how many paid a price later for that.  Also, the first half of the outbound loop is just FAST.  When we rode it on Saturday, we were hitting 24, 25 mph with no problem.  A bit of a tailwind has you reaching for more and more speed and it just feeds itself until you realize your HR is sky high and the legs are heavy.  Anyway, at IMSG, on those longer climbs, I think it's mentally easier to hold back, knowing you have to save it for the hills later.  But at IMAZ, if you're not careful, you just get sucked into hammering away because it's fun to see the speedometer at 25+ mph.

Which has me thinking about training strategies for the race and I fear the Trainer and I will become good friends next summer.  Here in LA, there aren't many long flat stretches like the race site will have.  I suspect I'll be wanting to do some longer trainer sessions (2-3 hours) at a consistent pace to get the body used to working the entire bike leg.  There's no real downhill to recover on - especially if there's a headwind on the return leg.  I've never had to maintain my own speed for 5+ hours on the bike - there's always been downhill recovery periods to regroup. 

Wow - didn't mean to write that much - just excited about the day!  Woo-hoo!

I just read this post, Steve.   Although I know nothing about the races you speak of, your analysis is so interesting and makes me think and ask questions about my own past and future training and tackling some of the courses around here, none of which would come anywhere close to the toughness of the ones you do.  

I'm really good on hills and not so good on the flats.   Someone tole me my size/compactness helps me on the hills but hinders me on the flats because I don't have the girth?   And I spent alot of times on hills the last couple of years thinking that is what I needed, but maybe it was the flats plus some strength training.   Hopefully, these longer, steady CT sessions will help me there.    You mentioned becoming friends with the trainer next summer.   An experienced IM told me he uses it and/or the CT even in racing season.   I've always ditched the trainer once I could ride outside - I'm going to follow your lead and try and do it at least once a week next summer.   

I KNOW I try to run or bike faster whenever there are spectators!   

What are you up to?   Training, R&R or both?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276