BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2010-07-19 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2989116

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE: jsnowash's training group - FULL!!
guticur - 2010-07-19 8:55 AM

I had a disappointing training week. Not much time put in. No swim at all. Hopefully I can get back on the saddle this week.

Sometimes that happens.... just pick up and move on. You may even find the time off has you feeling stronger for some better training this week!

I had an incredible training week last week with the kids off at camp - I got in just under 15 hours of training! And the good news is, I don't even feel completely exhausted! I think my higher volume run training is paying off, too. I did a 12 mile run yesterday (very slow - partly because I was running with some friends, one of whom needed to go at a slower pace, and partly due to the heat and humidity). It's nice to be at the point now where a 12 mile run doesn't leave me feeling totally trashed. I was able to turn around and easily do a 5 mile recovery run this morning.

This week, on the other hand, my training will not be nearly as stellar.... We leave on vacation on Saturday, so there is a lot to get done to prepare for that this week, plus the kids have various doctors appointments, etc. this week that will eat up a lot of time. I'm not sure how much training I'll get in on vacation - I'll just have to play that by ear.

2010-07-19 9:11 PM
in reply to: #2773064

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
At least I was able to get in the pool today. Pretty rusty!
2010-07-19 11:32 PM
in reply to: #2989116

User image

Veteran
guticur - 2010-07-20 5:55 AM I had a disappointing training week. Not much time put in. No swim at all. Hopefully I can get back on the saddle this week.

Yea me too. I am totally missing my swims. However, today I got in the lake here. totally different than the ocean or pool (of course). I need to get more swim time in too. Today I am going to make an appointment "book" for my swims. You know, a sitch where I cannot miss it or else. I am thinking of swimming in the mornings to acclimate to the morning race times? However, I am having this phobia thing where lake water gets in your mouth and nose a little. I am always thinking I am going to get something to make me sick. What to do? Anyone else? What did you do about it.
2010-07-20 12:58 PM
in reply to: #2991561

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
StrayDog - 2010-07-20 12:32 AM
guticur - 2010-07-20 5:55 AM I had a disappointing training week. Not much time put in. No swim at all. Hopefully I can get back on the saddle this week.

Yea me too. I am totally missing my swims. However, today I got in the lake here. totally different than the ocean or pool (of course). I need to get more swim time in too. Today I am going to make an appointment "book" for my swims. You know, a sitch where I cannot miss it or else. I am thinking of swimming in the mornings to acclimate to the morning race times? However, I am having this phobia thing where lake water gets in your mouth and nose a little. I am always thinking I am going to get something to make me sick. What to do? Anyone else? What did you do about it.

Good idea regarding morning training. I happen to swim with a nose clip (you need to get used to it), so nothing goes in through there. I never freak out too much about water ingestion. Of course I avoid it, but I once read about all the nastiness we consume every year found in our food....it's scary. I figure, if we survive that, we should be ok with a little algae. Besides seaweed tastes pretty good at the sushi places.
2010-07-21 8:05 AM

Veteran
Outside B'more
I ran a couple of miles last night during one of the passing storms. The rain was nice and cool and felt GREAT!! Until it passed then back to the soul sucking humidity..yuck-o. After my run I had Master's Swim and I'm still slow but feeling better about my stroke. Coach said we swam close to a mile for the class, so that made me feel pretty good....and tired!

As for open water swims, especially in water where you question its origins or what might be lurking.....this is probably a warped mentality but as a pharmacist I figure if I catch anything from ingesting the water there is a course of antibiotics that will fix it...probably not going to cure your anxiety that much but my swim anxiety never revolves around parasites in the water and I agree with what Fernando previously posted....for all the things we're exposed to daily in our food, water, etc...ingesting a little stagnant pond or ocean water isn't really going to hurt you! So you'll just smell a little funny or have the burps when you're on your bike...look around you, someone on the course is going through the same thing! We're all in the same boat so you are NOT alone!! LOL
2010-07-23 12:56 AM
in reply to: #2994065

User image

Veteran
KiwiJDRPH - 2010-07-22 6:05 AM I ran a couple of miles last night during one of the passing storms. The rain was nice and cool and felt GREAT!! Until it passed then back to the soul sucking humidity..yuck-o. After my run I had Master's Swim and I'm still slow but feeling better about my stroke. Coach said we swam close to a mile for the class, so that made me feel pretty good....and tired! As for open water swims, especially in water where you question its origins or what might be lurking.....this is probably a warped mentality but as a pharmacist I figure if I catch anything from ingesting the water there is a course of antibiotics that will fix it...probably not going to cure your anxiety that much but my swim anxiety never revolves around parasites in the water and I agree with what Fernando previously posted....for all the things we're exposed to daily in our food, water, etc...ingesting a little stagnant pond or ocean water isn't really going to hurt you! So you'll just smell a little funny or have the burps when you're on your bike...look around you, someone on the course is going through the same thing! We're all in the same boat so you are NOT alone!! LOL

Thanks everyone for the support. Good to know were all in it together. So I was kinda feeling left out on the Tri race thing and also need to get in a OWS situation...so here's what I did. I found a race about 3hrs away and it is this weekend. I dropped another tri that was further down the road. The granite-man.com race. The bike portion is MTB. I haven't (and don't Have time too) trained  on a MT bike. I will borrow my sons, the gears are a little different. I think I will survive. There is another thing too, it's an out an back swim, T1 with running gear because T2 is not at the same area as T1...rack the bike and run to finsh. It's a little different tri but I think it will be cool and HOT. Here's the link if anyone wants to check it out.
http://granite-man.com/ 

2010-07-23 4:38 PM

User image

I'm doing the N.J. State Tri tomorrow. Is anyone else? Does anyone have any tips for dealing with the heat. I'm in the 13th swim wave so I won't go off until probably 8:30am. 
2010-07-23 6:13 PM
in reply to: #3001121

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Keiren - 2010-07-23 5:38 PM I'm doing the N.J. State Tri tomorrow. Is anyone else? Does anyone have any tips for dealing with the heat. I'm in the 13th swim wave so I won't go off until probably 8:30am. 

Good luck! No real tips other than massive hydration...be careful. Remember...the heat will slow down everybody. 
2010-07-23 8:58 PM
in reply to: #3001121

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Keiren - 2010-07-23 5:38 PM

I'm doing the N.J. State Tri tomorrow. Is anyone else? Does anyone have any tips for dealing with the heat. I'm in the 13th swim wave so I won't go off until probably 8:30am. 

Good luck Keiren! I don't have much in the way of tips either, other than pouring water over your head at the aid stations to help keep cool. Good luck, but try not to over-do it in the heat!

We're off for a week at the beach tomorrow morning. I probably won't be able to post much (if any) while we're on vacation. As expected, my training this week dropped off significantly from last week!

Potential bad news for me on the training front.... this morning, while simply walking around my house in bare feet, I whacked my toe pretty hard on the corner of a step. I think there's a posibility it might be broken - but not a BIG break. It's pretty darn sore, a bit swollen, and a LOVELY shade of purple. I think I won't be running much this week. I may try to substitute some water running for a week or two to let it heal up a bit. Kinda bummed because my run training has been progressing really nicely.....
2010-07-24 5:49 AM

I'm on the injured list. While doing our weekly Tri training with our local group, someone doing the back float collided into me, at this point in the water we were over a real shallow area ( rocks and zebra muscle), well I didn't think it was real bad until the middle of the night, when I had extreme pain in my left arnm and shoulder. I iced and put heat on it, took motrin to control the pain, I looked  at my elbow and i have this massive black an blue on it. So no swimming for a few days. Run today if the heat and humidity aren't to bad.
2010-07-24 8:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
OUCHHH guys! 
Jenny: Enjoy vacation. Take it easy, elevate that foot, ice it and pour alcohol (internally Wink...just kidding). Take it easy and recover. Will miss your posts.
Dojorun:  To bad you won't be in the water. This is perfect temp for it. Man it's HOT here.
Good lluck to racers today. 

2010-07-24 1:35 PM

Veteran
Keiren -  How did you do?????

So sorry I disappeared, folks!  Life went upside down, but in a good way.  Got a new job in June (promotion, high profile, high pressure) that totally messed up my training.  Previously I had a nice flexible job that allowed a great lunchtime training schedule.  That disappeared.  I did not get much training in over the past 5 weeks.  I really considered not doing the NJ State Tri today, but am so glad I did.  It was great!  Hot, but great!  CGI did a phenomenal job with everything from timing, to results, to keeping the athletes hydrated.  I met my goals which were - don't drown, finish, and finish with a smile.  It was a good day.  Thanks for all of the inspiration these past few months!
2010-07-24 6:41 PM

User image

Veteran

Completed my first Tri today. 3/4Mi. Swim, 13Mi Mt Bike, 5mi. trail run.

It was viscous! The swim started way too fast for me. The mt biking crew is a more radical bunch I noticed. I had never swam that far before. My suit was way too tight. I just couldn't get a good breath. My navigation...well what navigation.  You've heard of switchbacks on a trail, well I did that in the water.I resorted to the side stroke for most of it to breath mostly. But I made it in 29:29 with some stuff to work on.

The bike was crazy dangerous. It was on a trail about 3ft wide. There was brush growth over the path that was blackberry bushes and poison oak. OMG, that stuff was everywhere. I should have known something was up because in the goodie bag was some ointment for poison oak. In addition the granite path (Hence the Granite Man Triathlon) was extremely loose. On the right was about a 15-20 drop into the rocks or the lake, on your left you either smack into a tree (which I did once pretty hard but didn't dismout me) or you smack the granite mountain. In addition there were no aide stations on the ride and the trail was not marked properly. I met at least 7 people that were lost. So, we rode aroud together to find the proper route. The map was inadequate. People were irate with the race officials during this leg.  I rode very carefully. I didn't get my time here.

The run just wasted me. My knees were shot on the trail run which was highly technical with ups and downs over rocks, through brush, etc...The heat (99)  just wasted me, I exhausted all the gas in the tank. I had some elyte drink but what I really needed was water. It was only five mi but it felt longer and more difficult because of the terrain. My time for 5 mi. 1:01. Total time was 3:03.

Overall I felt good about this tri I think only beacause I had military training. Getting lost and having limited supplies is just part of the game. After a while I calmed down and started to become very technical about finishing that race. I think it will make my next race even better.

P.S. I got lake water in my mouth....icky.

2010-07-24 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3002149

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
mmgoldenb - 2010-07-24 2:35 PM Keiren -  How did you do?????

So sorry I disappeared, folks!  Life went upside down, but in a good way.  Got a new job in June (promotion, high profile, high pressure) that totally messed up my training.  Previously I had a nice flexible job that allowed a great lunchtime training schedule.  That disappeared.  I did not get much training in over the past 5 weeks.  I really considered not doing the NJ State Tri today, but am so glad I did.  It was great!  Hot, but great!  CGI did a phenomenal job with everything from timing, to results, to keeping the athletes hydrated.  I met my goals which were - don't drown, finish, and finish with a smile.  It was a good day.  Thanks for all of the inspiration these past few months!

Welcome back...congratulations!! 
2010-07-24 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3002149

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
mmgoldenb - 2010-07-24 2:35 PM Keiren -  How did you do?????

Welcome back...congratulations!! 
2010-07-24 9:02 PM
in reply to: #3002424

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
StrayDog - 2010-07-24 7:41 PM

Completed my first Tri today. 3/4Mi. Swim, 13Mi Mt Bike, 5mi. trail run.

It was viscous! The swim started way too fast for me. The mt biking crew is a more radical bunch I noticed. I had never swam that far before. My suit was way too tight. I just couldn't get a good breath. My navigation...well what navigation.  You've heard of switchbacks on a trail, well I did that in the water.I resorted to the side stroke for most of it to breath mostly. But I made it in 29:29 with some stuff to work on.

The bike was crazy dangerous. It was on a trail about 3ft wide. There was brush growth over the path that was blackberry bushes and poison oak. OMG, that stuff was everywhere. I should have known something was up because in the goodie bag was some ointment for poison oak. In addition the granite path (Hence the Granite Man Triathlon) was extremely loose. On the right was about a 15-20 drop into the rocks or the lake, on your left you either smack into a tree (which I did once pretty hard but didn't dismout me) or you smack the granite mountain. In addition there were no aide stations on the ride and the trail was not marked properly. I met at least 7 people that were lost. So, we rode aroud together to find the proper route. The map was inadequate. People were irate with the race officials during this leg.  I rode very carefully. I didn't get my time here.

The run just wasted me. My knees were shot on the trail run which was highly technical with ups and downs over rocks, through brush, etc...The heat (99)  just wasted me, I exhausted all the gas in the tank. I had some elyte drink but what I really needed was water. It was only five mi but it felt longer and more difficult because of the terrain. My time for 5 mi. 1:01. Total time was 3:03.

Overall I felt good about this tri I think only beacause I had military training. Getting lost and having limited supplies is just part of the game. After a while I calmed down and started to become very technical about finishing that race. I think it will make my next race even better.

P.S. I got lake water in my mouth....icky.

Indiana Jones kinda story...at least you survived to tell it!. What a combination of factors. When you do a road tri it should be a breeze. 

2010-07-24 10:37 PM

User image

Jeff: that race sounds completely INSANE! I feel the need to capitalize that! Triathlons are hard enough without brambles, perilous drop offs etc. Not to mention the incredibly horrific heat!

Marla: Congratulations! On the new job and the NJ Tri. I wish I could have said hello in person. It was a mob scene there, though. I managed to catch up to my college roomie and her hubby on the run and we crossed the finish together. Since they are the ones who talked me into the tri in the first place, it was a fitting finish! 

I agree CGI did a great job with the event but the heat completely fried me. I struggled on the swim, which surprised me. Not sure if it was because it was longer than the previous tri I entered or if I went out too hard but I was spent at the end and also alternated between free and breaststroke. I did better on the bike than the last tri, maybe because I switched to clipless pedals. I felt good though and the course was nice. The run was a disaster for me. The heat by that time was unbearable. I would say that a large portion of people were alternating between jogging and walking. I've never felt so overheated, dizzy etc. The cold, damp washcloth at the midway point were a godsend.  

Hope all the racers stayed cool today! I will be inside all day tomorrow basking in the A.C. 
2010-07-25 2:36 PM
in reply to: #3002640

User image

Veteran
Keiren - 2010-07-25 8:37 PM Jeff: that race sounds completely INSANE! I feel the need to capitalize that! Triathlons are hard enough without brambles, perilous drop offs etc. Not to mention the incredibly horrific heat!

Marla: Congratulations! On the new job and the NJ Tri. I wish I could have said hello in person. It was a mob scene there, though. I managed to catch up to my college roomie and her hubby on the run and we crossed the finish together. Since they are the ones who talked me into the tri in the first place, it was a fitting finish! 

I agree CGI did a great job with the event but the heat completely fried me. I struggled on the swim, which surprised me. Not sure if it was because it was longer than the previous tri I entered or if I went out too hard but I was spent at the end and also alternated between free and breaststroke. I did better on the bike than the last tri, maybe because I switched to clipless pedals. I felt good though and the course was nice. The run was a disaster for me. The heat by that time was unbearable. I would say that a large portion of people were alternating between jogging and walking. I've never felt so overheated, dizzy etc. The cold, damp washcloth at the midway point were a godsend.  

Hope all the racers stayed cool today! I will be inside all day tomorrow basking in the A.C. 

Yes the heat just plays havoc on your body. I think I am going to make it mandatory that if the temp is say above 89 I will wear a hydration back pack. It may not make my time faster, but I think I will be more comfortable and be able to do more. For instance on the run, I walked a good part of the course. I could have been hydrating on the bike but there was no way I was going to lose concentration to pick my bottle from my bike. Heck Iam suprised the bottle was still there upon transition.

I love this sport. You learn something new each time I go out. I am sore today though.
2010-07-25 9:10 PM

Veteran
Outside B'more
Jeff - Congrats on finishing your first triathlon!! Someone from my triathlon club gave this advice during the swim: If you find that you are taking short shallow breaths or feel that you can't catch your breath, try breathing out really hard for a few breaths to help relax you and force air out..many times it's a build up of CO2 along with anxiety and panic.

104 degrees in DC Friday night and that was outside the stadium where I went to a concert so I'm sure mixing it up with a few thousand hot and sweaty fans increased the temp quite a few degrees. I think my running in the heat and attempt at Eagleman helped me withstand the heat and humidity for longer than I normally would've been able to...LOL

Today I got a good ride in before the heat got really bad. 27 miles along a trail where there is a coffee shop for trail goers..I want to try that the next time I ride!

Pittsburgh Sprint Triathlon is next Sunday for me...just using it to gauge strengths and weaknesses before Irongirl at the end of the month.
2010-07-26 10:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Congrats to all tri-finishers and those training.

Transition Clinic:
A great tri-club member held a transition clinic for us. She went over the rules and a tri checklist. Then we got to practice at the actual race site.
We set up our bike and gear in the actual transition area. We walked to the swim exit and simulated a race exit. We ran about a quarter mile to our bike, changed, exited the bike out and rode about half a mile, returned and dismounted, ran in transition, racked our bikes and changed into our running gear. T1 was less than 3 mins and T2 was about 2 minutes maybe slightly less.

I am hoping to save time in transition because I took so long in T1 at the DC Tri.

It was hot and the way we were sweating, you would think we swam, biked and rode the entire course.
2010-07-27 9:32 PM
in reply to: #3003809

User image

Veteran
KiwiJDRPH - 2010-07-26 7:10 PM Jeff - Congrats on finishing your first triathlon!! Someone from my triathlon club gave this advice during the swim: If you find that you are taking short shallow breaths or feel that you can't catch your breath, try breathing out really hard for a few breaths to help relax you and force air out..many times it's a build up of CO2 along with anxiety and panic. 104 degrees in DC Friday night and that was outside the stadium where I went to a concert so I'm sure mixing it up with a few thousand hot and sweaty fans increased the temp quite a few degrees. I think my running in the heat and attempt at Eagleman helped me withstand the heat and humidity for longer than I normally would've been able to...LOL Today I got a good ride in before the heat got really bad. 27 miles along a trail where there is a coffee shop for trail goers..I want to try that the next time I ride! Pittsburgh Sprint Triathlon is next Sunday for me...just using it to gauge strengths and weaknesses before Irongirl at the end of the month.

That's good advice. I think I was a little amped up at the swim start because I wasn't too sure how I was going to navigate, I couldn't quite hear the directions, then the gun went off and the water just churned white...and I was like wait, not yet, I have a question, I'm not ready...oh carp here I go. No confidence whatsoever.  SO then, I get home and I am like "this wetsuit does not fit right". So, since my daughter went to watch and photog because she is interested in tri's...(short version) I had her try it on. It fit her perfectly. Now, I am no expert on trying on womens clothes....but wouldn't a male wet suit be very tight in the hips on her and wide on her chest. It wasn't. And it is comfy on the hips on me but extremely tight in the chest, to the point of chaffing right under the arnpits after the swim. I can't find anywhere where it says female/womens on it or male/ mens for that matter. I think I am swimming in a female suit. OMG.

2010-07-28 6:32 PM

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
Swim training question:  Anybody else get really bored doing laps in the pool and how do you combat that?  I'm having more trouble staying focused than the physical part.  Any suggestions to make things more interesting?
2010-07-28 11:17 PM
in reply to: #3011006

User image

Veteran
cspreiter - 2010-07-29 4:32 PM Swim training question:  Anybody else get really bored doing laps in the pool and how do you combat that?  I'm having more trouble staying focused than the physical part.  Any suggestions to make things more interesting?

I have the same prob. I was going to get one thosed water tight MP3 players myself.
2010-07-29 8:18 AM
in reply to: #3011352

User image

I would love one of those underwater MP3 players. When I am in the pool for a long session I play stupid mind games. I also use it to count laps. Countries that start with A...B...C and so on. Vegetables that...you get the idea. It helps me count laps and relieves a little of the boredom.

Wow, I can't believe i just admitted that. 
2010-07-29 9:45 AM
in reply to: #3011006

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
cspreiter - 2010-07-28 7:32 PM Swim training question:  Anybody else get really bored doing laps in the pool and how do you combat that?  I'm having more trouble staying focused than the physical part.  Any suggestions to make things more interesting?

Totally agree with you guys.....extremely boring.
Currently I'm having a little more success. I have a strong drive right now: FEAR (particularly about drowning). In 8 days I'm doing my first Oly. Swim is 0.9 miles with a good posibility of not being able to wear a wetsuit. The swim course pretty much takes you to the middle of the lake...hence the drive.
I know once I'm over the race I might go back to boring.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  

of 32