BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2012-01-24 1:56 PM
in reply to: #4008409

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI
Subject: RE: Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED

Tim- Awesome video!  Looking at the swim, there was one thing I noticed.  When you go to take a breath, you start to pull with your opposite arm too soon.  (I caught this because it was what I had to spend a great deal of time on to improve, and still need to focus on when I get tired).  Your arm should stay out in front of you while you are breathing, and when you stick your face back into the water, then you should begin pulling.  It has helped me with my forward momentum.  You can do one arm swimming drills with the non-pulling arm straight out in front of you (breathe to the opposite side as your extended arm) to help improve this.

The bike and run looked pretty good to me.  I'm not as well versed in bike positioning, but if you do go for a more agressive aero position, just make sure it doesn't force you to tense up your arms and shoulder and that you can stay relaxed in your upper body.

2012-01-24 1:59 PM
in reply to: #4008325

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Skinny Arm Brian - 2012-01-24 1:53 PM
razorxp - 2012-01-24 10:28 AM
kcgolf - 2012-01-23 11:42 PM

In about 15 minutes it will be 199 Days until NYC IM - Wow - I better get to work.

KC

I will be there to cheer you on! lol  How are you feeling?

Are you going to be cheering for him as you race?

At this point no, I will be enjoying a beverage.  If my testing goes well and they can figure out my back issue Friday then maybe racing.  Problem is I still have trouble getting my glute & hamstring to even fire plus when those don't work everything else tries to compensate causing other issues.  Not a big deal as my main goal is to get healthy for the rest of my life not for a tri in august. :-)

2012-01-24 2:08 PM
in reply to: #3943322

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

Wow I think you and KC need to go to some OCD class! lol

That is going to be a great tool.

Best advice I can give you is not to move your dreadmill any further forward :-)

On the swim who teaches you to make an "S"? never heard that one.

You are correct not very aggressive in areo but thats not a bad thing if its comfortable.  Its great to be super areo but if your back is killing and your producing less power then its not worth it.

will look at later when home though.

2012-01-24 4:13 PM

User image

New user
Chicago, IL

IronTim - love it! That is a great video.  Other than what Dave and Jennifer already said, I have nothing else to add.  You're running form looks great.  What I learned in the ChiRunning workshop I took is to basically just fall forward and let your legs catch you.  Your foot should fall below/slightly behind your hips, which will automatically result in the midfoot strike. 

Jennifers - that is great feedback.  I noticed in the pool yesterday that I do the same thing: pull too soon.  I'll have to work on that. 

So I've finally ecided to do it on my own this year.  I'm going to spend the money instead on a power meter. Now the only question is PowerTap or Quarq? Decisions, decisions.  I've downloaded a training plan and am ready to get started.  So far it's just kind of been willy nilly...power plate, boxing, etc.  

Last night's swim was great, except my new goggles sucked.  Got in a good 2400yds.  Tonight I'm going to do a run test to establish my base.  It's gonna be a cold one!

2012-01-24 6:29 PM
in reply to: #4007802

User image

Pro
Houston
KeriKadi - 2012-01-24 9:24 AM
Jennifers - 2012-01-23 7:09 PM

Question for everyone- what nutrition do you use while training and racing?  I am starting to think about things to try while training to figure out a plan for IMWI.  I have been using the Ironman Perform while training, and if I dilute it, I can handle that rather well.  For Racine HIM, I used pretzels on the bike (helped force me to drink lots of water on a hot day as well!) and shorter races I use Accelgel.

Never done a full but in training for my half I loved Fig Newtons. I don't mind chews and gels but for something longer than 3-4 miles I want some kind of real food. I've also don't PB&J. I even ate Newtons during the bike portion and then switched to Chomps which I really like and some of their flavors have caffeine.

FYI Accel is coming out with a gel that has 100mg of caffeine. I tried the chocolate during my long run last week and it went well, I liked it.

LOL I meant 3-4 hours
2012-01-24 7:46 PM
in reply to: #4008811

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
saskat - 2012-01-24 5:13 PM

IronTim - love it! That is a great video.  Other than what Dave and Jennifer already said, I have nothing else to add.  You're running form looks great.  What I learned in the ChiRunning workshop I took is to basically just fall forward and let your legs catch you.  Your foot should fall below/slightly behind your hips, which will automatically result in the midfoot strike. 

Jennifers - that is great feedback.  I noticed in the pool yesterday that I do the same thing: pull too soon.  I'll have to work on that. 

So I've finally ecided to do it on my own this year.  I'm going to spend the money instead on a power meter. Now the only question is PowerTap or Quarq? Decisions, decisions.  I've downloaded a training plan and am ready to get started.  So far it's just kind of been willy nilly...power plate, boxing, etc.  

Last night's swim was great, except my new goggles sucked.  Got in a good 2400yds.  Tonight I'm going to do a run test to establish my base.  It's gonna be a cold one!

Have you thought of the new pedal based meters? I think those would be great if you have multiple bikes

2012-01-24 10:25 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hey Team. Long day today-just got home-on my blackberry and heading to the wrapper-will look at posting I missed tomorrow. I did take a quick look at your vid late this aft Tim - you are amazing-nice work- will look at it more tomorrow- I probably won't have much to say but if I see something I will let you know-good night team
2012-01-25 2:48 AM
in reply to: #4008409

User image

Regular
Utrecht

Tim,

The things I noticed on your swim:

• Only breathing on your right side. Causes an off balance in you swim. Try and learn breathing both sides 1on3 to have more balance and swimming straigth in Open Water where they take away the line you have in the pool.
  • When breathing right your left arm drops a bit before you start your pull and create a high elbow. Try and focus on that arm to create a pull earlier in the stroke.
  • Your timing is very high. Once the first arm leaves the water the pull starts with the other. My timing is starting the pull just before the other arm enters. This gives me more glide (admitted there are 2 schools with a case for both timings).

Bike:

• Know to little to give proper advise though it looks a bit like you are a sitting a bit too far to the front. When interested your best of doing a test at a specialized bike shop for the fitting

Run:

• I think you will show different on the road the on the threadmill. But you seem to be a bit upright here. A bit more balance shift to the front could benefit. Though I know quite little about proper running technique.

Nice video!

2012-01-25 5:51 AM
in reply to: #4008480

User image

Regular
Utrecht
Jennifers - 2012-01-24 8:56 PM

Tim- Awesome video!  Looking at the swim, there was one thing I noticed.  When you go to take a breath, you start to pull with your opposite arm too soon.  (I caught this because it was what I had to spend a great deal of time on to improve, and still need to focus on when I get tired).  Your arm should stay out in front of you while you are breathing, and when you stick your face back into the water, then you should begin pulling.  It has helped me with my forward momentum.  You can do one arm swimming drills with the non-pulling arm straight out in front of you (breathe to the opposite side as your extended arm) to help improve this.

Cool we spotted the same. Not sure if I follow/agree with your reasoning. The timing of when to pull shouldn't differ between a stroke where you breath in from the stroke where you don't. In timing it should remain the same. Or in other words. Your rythm dictates how long you get to breath in. However I do think your tips would result to the same as I would advocate a bit more gliding in Tim's stroke meaning the pull of both arms would start later in the cyclus then currently the case. Also I don't think Tim is really pulling his arm at the beginning when he breaths. It looks more that it drops which has 2 bad results:

1. You stroke is shortened missing the propulsion in the beginnen.
  2. As it drops without focus it creates more resistence in the flow --> losing speed.
2012-01-25 6:45 AM

User image

SE North Carolina
off to work, another long day, 12 hrs in the woods, should be fun at least the weather is nice out...hopefully Ill get home early enough to get a run in, I hate running in the dark....
2012-01-25 7:32 AM
in reply to: #4007807

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
razorxp - 2012-01-24 9:26 AM
Jennifers - 2012-01-23 8:09 PM

Happy Monday to everyone!!

Today was a day off (had to rearrange due to school starting) and I was glad it was a day off, but I will say I am eager to get back to it tomorrow.  On tap- Masters swim and lifting early AM, followed by CT ride in the evening. 

Music Monday...one of my favorite songs to listen to while training is Good Feeling by Flo Rida.  Sometimes I need lyrics with some motivation, and the second verse has some good lines in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OnnDqH6Wj8

Question for everyone- what nutrition do you use while training and racing?  I am starting to think about things to try while training to figure out a plan for IMWI.  I have been using the Ironman Perform while training, and if I dilute it, I can handle that rather well.  For Racine HIM, I used pretzels on the bike (helped force me to drink lots of water on a hot day as well!) and shorter races I use Accelgel.

I only drink on longer workouts (2+hrs) and eat on (3+hr) workouts.   Not sure if is the best thing but I just don't eat while training usually.  The perform is not my favorite but works in a pinch, but it does have a huge design flaw.  They made the bottle mostly black and when its sunny and hot the drink is almost hot.

For OLY races I may do 1 pack of chomps on the bike, other than that at 2ish hours should not need too much.

I love the pretzles but not sure there is enough nutrition for a full IM.  Right now I use the bonk breakers or crustables.  Some like fig nutons.  I think Iceman uses honeystingers.  Its all personal pref as it needs to sit in your stomach.

I worry about weight even with burning 3000 plus on a slow day. I only eat during 3 hours or more on training.  Going to try Accelerade.  People love it because of the added protein.  We shall see.  

I use Hammer Perpetuleum  for long races half IM or more.  Worked great for IM Wis. I do best with liquids mostly.  I did each salty stuff and drank chicken broth on the run due to cramps on the bike.  I used Hammer endorolyte power in the perpetuleum and was heavy with it but it was not enough apparently.  It was OK for a half IM though. Going to test Salt Stick this year.  They have the most salt supposedly and I am a sweater indeed. need to get it right for IM Wis. 2013, at least that's the plan now. 

Goal is about 250 to 300 cals per hour on long workouts and races and start at the beginning.  Before the swim and right off the swim...if we wait and get into too much deficit we can't come close to keeping up.  We won't keep up anyway, but we need to fuel what we can to keep reserves high. 

Tim, I'll look at the video, but how much I can help, I dunno.  I don't know a lot. Learning as I go from people like you.

Anyone doing IM Wis., Vision Quest out of Chicago is running several group rides up there.  Open to anyone I think.  Cheap. Check it out.  Good intel and supported. 

Also when you are up there get the name of the bike shop midway... I have it and will look for it.  They sag (for a price) on your training rides.  But good to have a back up.

Had a really fun new SE bike workout yesterday where you hold 55 rpm for several minutes and then crank up to 90 rpm with high resistance for 20 secs 5 times, then high cadence to 120 rpm for 10 mins. and then 5 more SE mashers.  

Swam yesterday.  I figured out that I was not flexible enough before kettlebells to bring my hands close to my head and reach on the stroke.  Now I am so that is making the core swing from side to side much more fluid, not forced or artificial. Funny how things come together like that.

More strength training and an hour run tonight. 

Have a great day.

Ice.

Edited by IceManScott 2012-01-25 8:23 AM

2012-01-25 8:12 AM
in reply to: #4009670

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

MANDOWN - 2012-01-25 7:45 AM off to work, another long day, 12 hrs in the woods, should be fun at least the weather is nice out...hopefully Ill get home early enough to get a run in, I hate running in the dark....

In the woods? what do you do? 

2012-01-25 8:17 AM
in reply to: #4009742

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
IceManScott - 2012-01-25 8:32 AM
razorxp - 2012-01-24 9:26 AM
Jennifers - 2012-01-23 8:09 PM

Anyone doing IM Wis., Vision Quest out of Chicago is running several group rides up there.  Open to anyone I think.  Cheap. Check it out.  Good intel and supported. 

Also when you are up there get the name of the bike shop midway... I have it and will look for it.  They sag (for a price) on your training rides.  But good to have a back up.

Had a really fun new SE bike workout yesterday where you hold 55 rpm for several minutes and then crank up to 90 room with high resistance for 20 secs 5 times, then high cadence to 120 rpm for 10 mins. and then 5 more SE mashers.  

Swam yesterday.  I figured out that I was not flexible enough before kettlebells to bring my hands close to my head and reach on the stroke.  Now I am so that is making the core swing from side to side much more fluid, not forced or artificial. Funny how things come together like that.

More strength training and an hour run tonight. 

Have a great day.

Ice.

Scott I that is a "fun" bike workout, during the 20sec push it feels like your legs are jelly.  Nice work with the kettleballs, I am sure it is helping with more than your swimming.

2012-01-25 8:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Scott - IMWI 2013? Uh, Is this breaking news or did I miss a post or 3?
2012-01-25 8:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Officially signed up for pumpkinman HIM last night. It's in September so I will hopefully just transition from my marathon over to HIM.
2012-01-25 9:05 AM
in reply to: #4008480

User image

Expert

Jenny - Thanks for the swim tip!  I think I see what you are talking about.  I will have to focus on that during my drills.  I do the one arm drills but probably am just re-enforcing my bad habit since I was not aware of what I was doing.

Jennifers - 2012-01-24 1:56 PM

The bike and run looked pretty good to me.  I'm not as well versed in bike positioning, but if you do go for a more agressive aero position, just make sure it doesn't force you to tense up your arms and shoulder and that you can stay relaxed in your upper body.

2012-01-25 9:12 AM
in reply to: #4009911

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

cheekymonkeys1 - 2012-01-25 8:51 AM Scott - IMWI 2013? Uh, Is this breaking news or did I miss a post or 3?

Don't know.  I've been thinking about it.  Probably will.  This year is to go shorter and go harder, faster...pick up the pace, get stronger.  I think I can cut lots off the bike and some off the run so...    

2012-01-25 9:15 AM
in reply to: #4009585

User image

Expert

Thanks Stijn!  I will focus on the more of a glide in my stroke.

For the bike - I use that Profile Design Fast Forward seat to actually get more forward and more over the crank.  David/Scott - what are your thought on this?  I know in the past we have talked about getting into this position but do you think I am too far forward.  I have serious concerns about my position on the bike seeing as that I have done a lot of modifications and fitting on my own - and worried that when I start getting up over 4 hours on the bike I will start feeling it.  It's kind of a mute point though because I can't afford a new bike so I am pretty much stuck with making the best of what I have.

With the running - I have really worked over the past three years at shortening my stride and working on my form to help prevent injury. I agree and maybe it doesn't reflect well on the treadmill.  In the video I am running at a nice easy 10:00/pace which is basically gonna be around my target pace for my IM long runs.  I am not sure if I want to lean more forward though for distance running as it would put more strain on my calves.  I am thinking if I was increasing my speed or running at 5K/10K pace then I think that woudl be required.  Thoughts?

Thanks again for taking the time to watch and give me some pointers!

Niezels - 2012-01-25 2:48 AM

Tim,

The things I noticed on your swim:

• Only breathing on your right side. Causes an off balance in you swim. Try and learn breathing both sides 1on3 to have more balance and swimming straigth in Open Water where they take away the line you have in the pool.
  • When breathing right your left arm drops a bit before you start your pull and create a high elbow. Try and focus on that arm to create a pull earlier in the stroke.
  • Your timing is very high. Once the first arm leaves the water the pull starts with the other. My timing is starting the pull just before the other arm enters. This gives me more glide (admitted there are 2 schools with a case for both timings).

Bike:

• Know to little to give proper advise though it looks a bit like you are a sitting a bit too far to the front. When interested your best of doing a test at a specialized bike shop for the fitting

Run:

• I think you will show different on the road the on the threadmill. But you seem to be a bit upright here. A bit more balance shift to the front could benefit. Though I know quite little about proper running technique.

Nice video!

2012-01-25 9:18 AM
in reply to: #4008811

User image

Expert

Glad to see youa re getting back in the swing of things.  Wish I could help you with the power meter but that is something I am clueless on.  They don't make power meters for mid-1990's trek 6-speeds- haha

I would take David's advice on the new pedal meters.  they look really cool.  I actually posted a link on those a few weeks back on www.thetriathlonreport.com.

http://bicycling.com/blogs/thisjustin/2011/08/19/garmin-unveils-vector-pedal-based-power-meter/

saskat - 2012-01-24 4:13 PM

Edited by tmoran80 2012-01-25 9:19 AM
2012-01-25 9:22 AM
in reply to: #4009924

User image

Expert

Nice!  Just make sure to give yourself a small break between the training - I did the exact same thing last year - ran my marathon in April, took one day off and right into HIM training for July race.  By end of May in and I was so burned out and ruined my training last year.  

cheekymonkeys1 - 2012-01-25 8:54 AM Officially signed up for pumpkinman HIM last night. It's in September so I will hopefully just transition from my marathon over to HIM.

2012-01-25 9:49 AM
in reply to: #4009974

User image

Expert

ICE MAN IMWI 2013 - YES!!!  Are you going to give yourself a hernia before the 2103 race to keep an even playing field because it just wouldn't be fair to compare the times from 2011 to 2013?

For the new members of the group - Scott trained and raced IMWI with a hernia and didn't tell anyone because he was afraid they wouldn't let him race.  I had the honor of riding my bike next to him with him the last 6 miles of the run to the finish line and he didn't even complain once! I ended up finding out when he posted it the next day.  Truly inspiring.

IceManScott - 2012-01-25 9:12 AM

cheekymonkeys1 - 2012-01-25 8:51 AM Scott - IMWI 2013? Uh, Is this breaking news or did I miss a post or 3?

Don't know.  I've been thinking about it.  Probably will.  This year is to go shorter and go harder, faster...pick up the pace, get stronger.  I think I can cut lots off the bike and some off the run so...    

2012-01-25 11:01 AM
in reply to: #4009812

User image

SE North Carolina
im in a tactical mantracking class all week, learning on how to track down your suspect, or lost individuals utiliziing footprints or other evidence left behind, its been some good training so far......
2012-01-25 11:04 AM
in reply to: #4010268

User image

Expert

Pretty cool.  But what if they aren't in the woods?Wink

MANDOWN - 2012-01-25 11:01 AM im in a tactical mantracking class all week, learning on how to track down your suspect, or lost individuals utiliziing footprints or other evidence left behind, its been some good training so far......

2012-01-25 12:05 PM
in reply to: #4010076

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
tmoran80 - 2012-01-25 9:49 AM

ICE MAN IMWI 2013 - YES!!!  Are you going to give yourself a hernia before the 2103 race to keep an even playing field because it just wouldn't be fair to compare the times from 2011 to 2013?

For the new members of the group - Scott trained and raced IMWI with a hernia and didn't tell anyone because he was afraid they wouldn't let him race.  I had the honor of riding my bike next to him with him the last 6 miles of the run to the finish line and he didn't even complain once! I ended up finding out when he posted it the next day.  Truly inspiring.

IceManScott - 2012-01-25 9:12 AM

Thanks Tim.  I am going to do all I can to avoid another hernia - or any other injury for that matter.   Two surgeries since IM, and I think I am in one piece again for the first time since the big C in 2006. 

Remember, as a friend of mine likes to say, a female, "If it were easy, they'd call it Panty Man." 

2012-01-25 2:42 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

This is so True, no wonder why I make fun of this activity! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GMCkuqL9IcM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 43