Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2013-07-22 8:27 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

New user
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN
Originally posted by SSMinnow

One other thing I've learned over time is NOT to exhale really quickly so you feel the need to get the next breath or you will die.  I've practiced not exhaling as soon as I push off the wall, but wait a little bit and then do it.  I've fully exhaled by the time I take the next breath, but am not in oxygen debt.  Siting does get me out of whack some time---just takes practice.  If you can do some of these things in more shallow water it can be helpful.

Kyla's probably the best one to comment on this, but in OW, I tend to shorten my stroke a little.  I'm a glider in the pool and that isn't always good.  I have a slight stall in my stroke because of it and it makes me SLOW.  Trying to change a habit that I was told to create a long time ago is hard!!!!  In the OW, a glide can be a negative if there is chop.

This is a photo from the Racine HIM yesterday.  Swim is in Lake Michigan.  The lead boat capsized, many people were seasick during the swim and another 3-4 dozen were pulled out.  I'm told it was similar to Lake George (the one Jeff did).  About three hours North for the Door County HIM, the water was pancake flat and it was the same lake!

?

Good lord, I hope my swim doesn't look like that!

Thanks for all of the responses! I went to the pool today and tried to pay attention to everything you guys have mentioned. Suzy, is the pull buoy your talking about the thing that you hold between your legs to keep you floating but not kicking so you're just using your arms? (I think my extreme rookie status is showing through!) If so, I have noticed previously that my breathing is more controlled when I'm doing that. I always assumed that was due to going so slow, but now I'm thinking it's because of the lack of kicking. It also helps with my rotation (which Chet says is something I need to work on, too.) I went today with the sole purpose of using that to test it. The huge basket of buoys that they usually have was missing, so I didn't have one. It felt strange, but I tried to just swim with just my arms (even without the buoy) and my breathing did seem to do better (but my feet were sinking!) So I did that for awhile and then I just tried swimming with less kicking. That was hard. I found I was doing little kicks, but still kicking the whole time. It's just what is coming naturally to me. Chet also told me to do the fingertip drag to get the high elbows. I noticed my rotation was better when I was doing that, too, and my breathing might have been a little better, too.

So now I'm off to find my own pull buoy because I'd like to swim at least one more time before we go back to the lake on Friday. I like the idea of just getting comfortable in the water before trying to swim, too. I'll definitely do that on Friday! Thanks again for all of the advice!

2013-07-23 5:12 AM
in reply to: JillB

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Originally posted by JillB
Originally posted by SSMinnow One other thing I've learned over time is NOT to exhale really quickly so you feel the need to get the next breath or you will die.  I've practiced not exhaling as soon as I push off the wall, but wait a little bit and then do it.  I've fully exhaled by the time I take the next breath, but am not in oxygen debt.  Siting does get me out of whack some time---just takes practice.  If you can do some of these things in more shallow water it can be helpful.

Kyla's probably the best one to comment on this, but in OW, I tend to shorten my stroke a little.  I'm a glider in the pool and that isn't always good.  I have a slight stall in my stroke because of it and it makes me SLOW.  Trying to change a habit that I was told to create a long time ago is hard!!!!  In the OW, a glide can be a negative if there is chop.

This is a photo from the Racine HIM yesterday.  Swim is in Lake Michigan.  The lead boat capsized, many people were seasick during the swim and another 3-4 dozen were pulled out.  I'm told it was similar to Lake George (the one Jeff did).  About three hours North for the Door County HIM, the water was pancake flat and it was the same lake!

?

Good lord, I hope my swim doesn't look like that! Thanks for all of the responses! I went to the pool today and tried to pay attention to everything you guys have mentioned. Suzy, is the pull buoy your talking about the thing that you hold between your legs to keep you floating but not kicking so you're just using your arms? (I think my extreme rookie status is showing through!) If so, I have noticed previously that my breathing is more controlled when I'm doing that. I always assumed that was due to going so slow, but now I'm thinking it's because of the lack of kicking. It also helps with my rotation (which Chet says is something I need to work on, too.) I went today with the sole purpose of using that to test it. The huge basket of buoys that they usually have was missing, so I didn't have one. It felt strange, but I tried to just swim with just my arms (even without the buoy) and my breathing did seem to do better (but my feet were sinking!) So I did that for awhile and then I just tried swimming with less kicking. That was hard. I found I was doing little kicks, but still kicking the whole time. It's just what is coming naturally to me. Chet also told me to do the fingertip drag to get the high elbows. I noticed my rotation was better when I was doing that, too, and my breathing might have been a little better, too. So now I'm off to find my own pull buoy because I'd like to swim at least one more time before we go back to the lake on Friday. I like the idea of just getting comfortable in the water before trying to swim, too. I'll definitely do that on Friday! Thanks again for all of the advice!

You're describing a lot of the things that new adult swimmers go through.  It sounds to me like balance is your biggest issue based on your description of using the pull buoy (yes it is the floaty thing that goes between your legs) and doing those little kicks which are useless (i did those all the time).  My first coach taught me to press the T (which is basically your chest) into the water to get my legs to float more and to do catch up drill.  Both can be found on goswim.tv if you're interested.  They have a lot of great drills.

If it were me, I would focus on this and let things like high elbow go until you're more comfortable in the water.   I find when I try to focus on too many things I am a master of none.

2013-07-23 11:17 PM

User image

New user

Originally posted by JillB
Originally posted by SSMinnow One other thing I've learned over time is NOT to exhale really quickly so you feel the need to get the next breath or you will die.  I've practiced not exhaling as soon as I push off the wall, but wait a little bit and then do it.  I've fully exhaled by the time I take the next breath, but am not in oxygen debt.  Siting does get me out of whack some time---just takes practice.  If you can do some of these things in more shallow water it can be helpful.

?

Good lord, I hope my swim doesn't look like that! Thanks for all of the responses! I went to the pool today and tried to pay attention to everything you guys have mentioned. Suzy, is the pull buoy your talking about the thing that you hold between your legs to keep you floating but not kicking so you're just using your arms? (I think my extreme rookie status is showing through!) If so, I have noticed previously that my breathing is more controlled when I'm doing that. I always assumed that was due to going so slow, but now I'm thinking it's because of the lack of kicking. It also helps with my rotation (which Chet says is something I need to work on, too.) I went today with the sole purpose of using that to test it. The huge basket of buoys that they usually have was missing, so I didn't have one. It felt strange, but I tried to just swim with just my arms (even without the buoy) and my breathing did seem to do better (but my feet were sinking!) So I did that for awhile and then I just tried swimming with less kicking. That was hard. I found I was doing little kicks, but still kicking the whole time. It's just what is coming naturally to me. Chet also told me to do the fingertip drag to get the high elbows. I noticed my rotation was better when I was doing that, too, and my breathing might have been a little better, too. So now I'm off to find my own pull buoy because I'd like to swim at least one more time before we go back to the lake on Friday. I like the idea of just getting comfortable in the water before trying to swim, too. I'll definitely do that on Friday! Thanks again for all of the advice!

You're describing a lot of the things that new adult swimmers go through.  It sounds to me like balance is your biggest issue based on your description of using the pull buoy (yes it is the floaty thing that goes between your legs) and doing those little kicks which are useless (i did those all the time).  My first coach taught me to press the T (which is basically your chest) into the water to get my legs to float more and to do catch up drill.  Both can be found on goswim.tv if you're interested.  They have a lot of great drills.

If it were me, I would focus on this and let things like high elbow go until you're more comfortable in the water.   I find when I try to focus on too many things I am a master of none.

That's exactly what I feel like. I've been trying to pay attention to too many things, but I feel like now I have some direction. Thanks for the link. I will definitely check it out!
2013-07-24 6:06 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Noosa

The swim workout which has helped me the most is this:
300 easy swim
10 x 75m (25 left arm,25 right arm, 25 dps)
Pyramid 100,200,300,400,400,300,200,100
100 cool down.

I'm not sure why but after the 10 x 75's my stroke is so much more efficient and my body position is much better. Really concentrate on a perfect pull with the one arm drills and really elongate your body like an arrow on the DPS then let your body do its thing on the pyramid.

Edited by copa2251 2013-07-24 6:08 AM
2013-07-24 10:18 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Hi, all!

Just forwarded on the picture of the swim in Lake Michigan to Zach - he needs a bit of fear!  Spent the weekend in Idaho with Jeff's boss, his wife and another couple.  Long trip, partly on a very small plane piloted by said boss, but a beautiful place.  Got in my first - and second - post Vineman run.  I may have stretched out the recovery thing a bit long....!  The house was at 5200 feet, so I got a taste of the altitude I'll be dealing with in 59 days.  Yikes.

Did NOT swim in their pond.....although Jeff did - I saw a snake.  No pickin' way.  Cooled down my legs in the creek, post run - that was awesome.

Thinking that my not-so-much-swimming strategy didn't hurt me at Vineman, may stick with it!!  Wink

Edited by velcromom 2013-07-24 10:20 PM
2013-07-25 5:32 AM
in reply to: velcromom

User image

Champion

Linda, if you want to get Zach going, share this with him.  Water temps in Lake Michigan can change 20-30F in a single day due to the winds and undercurrent (I think that's right).  For Racine, they were seeing temps in the low 50s and by the race they were in the mid 70s.

I've done that race twice and both days were relatively calm.  It's a total crapshoot.

2013-07-25 10:41 AM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

So, I woke up today and realized it's THURSDAY!  I'm a day late, and more than a dollar short.

Who's racing this weekend?  Spill it.....when? where? how far? goals?

If you're not racing (and even if you are), what goals have you set for the year?  Have you met them?  If not, what's your plan to get there?

2013-07-25 7:40 PM
in reply to: jfought

User image

Champion
Originally posted by jfought

So, I woke up today and realized it's THURSDAY!  I'm a day late, and more than a dollar short.

If you're not racing (and even if you are), what goals have you set for the year?  Have you met them?  If not, what's your plan to get there?

No racing here!  

Had three goals when I started the year and nailed two of them so far, 4th BQ and broke my '07 Marathon PR.  The one looming is an IM PR that starts with a 12:XX.  What's the goal to get there????  Train and work on mental toughness some more.  Check back with me on September 9th! 

2013-07-27 4:17 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa

No racing here, enjoying some great Queensland Winter sun at the moment!

Having done my IM in May I feel free to concentrate on my weaknesses now and for me that's definitely cycling! I'm following he Trainer Road 40k TT plan and its TOUGH!

I'm considering entering the Noosa tri again in November racing for a charity again, this year the amount you need to raise has gone up to $1000. Having raised $800 last year for a melanoma charity and $3500 the year before to do the Ride to Conquer Cancer I feel I can't ask people to sponsor me again. Do you think I'm crazy if I sponsor myself by working a bit more and donating the $1000 myself plus the $240 entry fee??? I need to convince my wife!
2013-07-27 1:16 PM
in reply to: copa2251

User image

Master
Maryland
Originally posted by copa2251

Having done my IM in May I feel free to concentrate on my weaknesses now and for me that's definitely cycling! I'm following he Trainer Road 40k TT plan and its TOUGH!

I'm considering entering the Noosa tri again in November racing for a charity again, this year the amount you need to raise has gone up to $1000. Having raised $800 last year for a melanoma charity and $3500 the year before to do the Ride to Conquer Cancer I feel I can't ask people to sponsor me again. Do you think I'm crazy if I sponsor myself by working a bit more and donating the $1000 myself plus the $240 entry fee??? I need to convince my wife!

David, if your wife supports your decision then wow! That is very kind of you to donate all that $$. I do not think you are crazy, but a very nice person.
2013-07-27 2:23 PM

User image

Champion

Is it tax deductible in your neck of the woods?  It would be here so it's a no brainer. I've done that for a couple of local bike events, but the fees were only $250 each so a lot less.  Good for you.

2013-07-27 8:40 PM

User image

New user
David, I agree that's very nice of you! However, it sounds like you've only raised money for charity once a year? I don't think that's excessive. Maybe see how fundraising goes and donate the remainder yourself?

I've been looking up the swim drills you guys have told me about and bought a pull buoy. I was supposed to swim at the lake yesterday, but it was pretty windy and the water was rough. I know I'll have to be prepared for anything race day, but I wasn't quite confident enough in my swimming to get out in it yesterday. Will hit the pool a few times this week and hopefully get back out there next week.

2013-07-31 3:19 AM
in reply to: JillB

User image

Expert
Noosa

Just rescuing us from the bottom of the MG list! If anyone is reading this START POSTING AGAIN! This group has always been the most active on BT...

Pete Jacobs, a Noosa resident, just posted this video and it shows the my favourite regular run:

Noosa National Park run

I live just near the Sunshine Beach caption:

2013-07-31 8:20 AM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Just rescuing us from the bottom of the MG list! If anyone is reading this START POSTING AGAIN! This group has always been the most active on BT...

Pete Jacobs, a Noosa resident, just posted this video and it shows the my favourite regular run:

Noosa National Park run

I live just near the Sunshine Beach caption:

That looks like a BEAUTIFUL place to train and race.  I'm very jealous.

Thanks for sharing and for getting us moving on here too!

2013-07-31 8:26 AM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Welcome to mid-week.  Are you stepping up to the starting line this weekend?  Tell us all about it. 

Let's dream a little this week:  If you were going to do a destination tri, where would you go and why?

p.s.  Let's fire things up on here this week.  Make some posts, inspire a few people, wake them up, invite them to join us!

2013-07-31 8:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL
Wish I lived there. Jealous is an under statement

2013-07-31 8:32 AM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Welcome to mid-week.  Are you stepping up to the starting line this weekend?  Tell us all about it. 

Let's dream a little this week:  If you were going to do a destination tri, where would you go and why?

p.s.  Let's fire things up on here this week.  Make some posts, inspire a few people, wake them up, invite them to join us!

I'm not racing......actually, I haven't even been training much lately.  I'm spending my last few days in New Jersey before heading home and back to work.  I've been racing around NYC.  Yesterday, Bruce (my resident tour guide :-)  went into the city with me and we saw the Body World Exhibit (very very cool), the Letterman Show, and finished the evening off with The Phantom of the Opera. 

Destination Race???  After hearing David describe his training swims and runs, and after seeing the video he posted, I'm putting Australia on my bucket list.  Plus......I love hearing the Aussie accent Wink

2013-07-31 8:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL

No racing here. I am doing a super centric metric ride on Saturday. This week has been a well needed recovery week. I will be tackling the 45 mi option.  I am right around 60 days till Augusta.

??I would like to do a race  where David lives. It looks beatiful there. The wife and kids would not being beach bums either.

2013-07-31 12:53 PM
in reply to: mbehr1983

User image

Champion

No racing for me either!  I'm headed out the door to Minocqua in a few minutes for a solo week/end of training and relaxing while the man stays back.

There are plenty of places I dream of visiting one day,  New Zealand/Australia, Alaska and the  Middle East to name a few, but none I really dream about racing in.  I guess I feel like when I go to a location that is a great distance away, I would rather experience the culture/food/etc. versus worrying about toeing the line.

If I had to pick a place and a race, it would be Norseman or Kona just to feel what it was like.

2013-08-01 9:58 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
started doing some hot yoga last week.
bought a 15 session drop in pass. Went last week once, and tonight.
Wow is it great. I've gone alooooong time ago, so trying to get it into the 'routine' a bit more.
Really starting to realize how tight my hamstrings are!!!
2013-08-02 8:53 AM
in reply to: TrevorC

User image

Master
Maryland
David, you live in a beautiful part of the world! My destination race would be an IM in the US that is too far away or expensive. Maybe Lake Placid NY or Kona, or Disney Marathon, or somewhere cool out west with my left coast peeps like Vegas : )

2013-08-02 5:38 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Sorry I have not been around lately.   We had two grandchildren visiting and when that happens, my computer time goes down to zero.   I am finally getting caught up again, but the other three grandchildren arrive late this afternoon so you probably won't hear from me for a while again. 

Before they arrive, I am off to do an HIM simulation - 100km on the bike followed by a 10km run. 

Destination tri: definitely Kona, but I still like that picture of Christie drinking the big beer at Roth and think that would be a fun race.

And David...you are one lucky guy.  That is a beautiful place to live.

2013-08-03 11:43 PM

User image

Expert
Noosa

No racing for me, I'm working all weekend...

My destination races might be Roth - see pic, IM Nice and I like the look of IM Lake Tahoe, have to see how Linda enjoys it.

Edited by copa2251 2013-08-03 11:44 PM
2013-08-04 5:42 AM

User image

Champion

A friend of mine has a pro triathlete brother who is a challenged athlete.  He lost a leg in a farm accident as a child.  He just completed Norseman yesterday in terrible storms.  If you want a challenge that would be it,  water is 55F at best and very choppy, you climb straight up a mountain for the ride and the run.  And yesterday storms/lightning blew out the cable car that takes you back down the mountain so that athletes had to walk 5K to a place where cars could meet them.

David, maybe this is for you!

2013-08-04 7:19 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

A friend of mine has a pro triathlete brother who is a challenged athlete.  He lost a leg in a farm accident as a child.  He just completed Norseman yesterday in terrible storms.  If you want a challenge that would be it,  water is 55F at best and very choppy, you climb straight up a mountain for the ride and the run.  And yesterday storms/lightning blew out the cable car that takes you back down the mountain so that athletes had to walk 5K to a place where cars could meet them.

David, maybe this is for you!

Thanks for sharing Suzy.  It is a great video and your friend's brother must be one amazing athlete.  I am intrigued, but don't know if I will ever make it to that level of craziness.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 44