BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-06-15 5:50 PM
in reply to: afischer01

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED
Woo hoo! I managed a 10km run this morning, first time I've made the distance. It took me an hour 27 minutes and I had quite a few walk breaks to keep my HR down but I'm really happy I made this milestone. Now I just have to double it in 3 weeks time!

2013-06-15 8:54 PM
in reply to: Taringa

CONGRATS !! When I did my first 10K it was an amazing feeling. Very proud trooper.
2013-06-15 8:59 PM

Originally posted by afischer01

i can't get the picture to attach!!

When you are replying at the very bottom you will see right above the red submit button an option box that says Attach a file after posting. Click on it
and a green check will appear just like the one that already checked right above on the Enable emoticons. Then you will get a window after you submit
the comments when you have to click on the browse button and the window for the files on your computer will come up. You will want to click on the picture and then click add. once it was loaded you want to make sure you click on the submit button until it appears on the right side a a file. The you will know you are done.
2013-06-15 10:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Louisville
Originally posted by Taringa

Woo hoo! I managed a 10km run this morning, first time I've made the distance. It took me an hour 27 minutes and I had quite a few walk breaks to keep my HR down but I'm really happy I made this milestone. Now I just have to double it in 3 weeks time!

Way to go!
2013-06-15 10:50 PM
in reply to: Rnay225

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Rnay225

So today was the first tri of the season and also my first DNF. Even though I'm disappointed and highly embarrassed I think I made the right decision. I really haven't felt like myself the past week and a half (tired, irritable, no appetite etc.) and I think I'm just really overwhelming myself and trying to do everything. On the drive up to Indianapolis last night I had my phone out answering emails, my wedding binder out to work on the number of guests before a meeting with a venue coming ups this week and a notebook on standby to start my packing list for Peru. My fiancé (still weird) started telling me about his day and I just burst into tears. I was beyond tired and just couldn't even think of words. So we got to the hotel and I got everything ready for the race and laid down but instead of that nervous excited semi sleep you have the night before a race I was out cold and woke up with a start to my alarm this morning completely disoriented. I did all my normal pre-race stuff and tried to get excited but just felt drained. I set up everything, tested the water and was confident that I could tackle the distance but still just felt bleh. I lined up in the chute and went into the water but things didn't feel right at all. I took a few strokes and felt like I was swimming in syrup. My arms and legs were dead. I tried every trick to keep going but was fully exhausted after like 50 meters. I swam back to shore where I could stand and tried to get it together but just all around felt like crap. I tried again 2 more times but just kept feeling worse so I called it, got out of the water and turned in my chip. Even walking up to the beach was hard. Don't get me wrong, I'm really upset about it but I'm positive I made the right call. Especially knowing the course I was way too tired to have finished the bike and that's if I could even get through the swim first. I'm writing this from the car and haven't stopped yawning since I woke up and still feel like a paperweight. Hope I didn't scare any of you newbies off. I just think sometimes you need to know when to fold em.

Sorry to hear about the DNF, I'm glad that you are good with your choice because that is what matters. I also applaud you for coming on here and posting about what I know was a disappointing day for you. Stress and life can zap the life out of you and really affect the way you race and train. I have a question to ask you thought that may help you along this stressful time. Do you feel that you were properly trained and physcially prepared for the race today? I ask not because of the DNF, but to my point. I think that sometimes when things are the craziest and we don't have the ability to prepare the way we want we still schedule races. I think these facts will largely effect the way you feel when you line-up for your next race as well. I don't think that your year or training has to be gauged by what races you have or have not done. I have heard that a race is icing on the cake, and is the way I approached it this year. I told myself that I would not sign up for a race until everything was in line and I was prepared for it. Like I have said before, I use to just workout a few times a couple weeks out from an event and then go do it. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, but I also was not really improving my health / physical ability (I did the races so that I could say I did them). I am not only saying this to you or becuase of today, but more for the group. I can also tell you that this year I have learned to use training days as my stress relief. Next to spending quality time with the family, my training days are what keep me level. Some times though I don't have time and maybe that is just what has happened to you lately and with the schedule you have coming up will continue to have happen. Like I said before, good for you for making a decision and sticking by it, plus taking your safety into consideration. It after all is just an event, and an event you paid to participate in. Maybe this year will end up being a build year and you doing what you can when you can. Just don't think that you have to race to validate your work. No matter what stay active in life and know that you are still a Turtle and wanted by everyone in this group. I really hope I worded all of this the way I intended it to come out.
2013-06-15 10:55 PM
in reply to: iamDawnAnderson

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by iamDawnAnderson

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Originally posted by iamDawnAnderson

Here's hoping everyone got their training in today. I was attacked by a nap on the sofa after work. I'm partnering up in the morning with a coworker I talked into registering for the Tri I'm doing, to go on my long bike ride. Wish me luck!

How did the run go?
O.M.G. I'm sooo not ready for a race! My ride this morning was tough! Weather & company were perfect, but boy - riding in real life is so different than on a spin bike. It was fun though!

Don't worry about that Dawn, the important thing is that you got out there and did it today. It also served you well to know how closely spinning translates to road riding for you. Everyone is different, some people it is very similar and they don't notice as much of a difference. I can tell you that when I do spin classes it more for cardio and cadence (number of pedal rotations in 1 minute) purposes. It does help me some, but I'm like you, nothing is like riding on the road.

2013-06-15 10:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

That is Awesome. You are really working hard towards that Half Marathon, and the work shows. Like I said before, you WILL do it and finish well before the cut off time. In reference to the doubling it in three weeks, remember you were doing today at a lower heart rate, and you did not have all the other runners with you and adrenaline that comes with race day. Keep it Up!
2013-06-16 2:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
@Taringa_-_Anna: congrats on running the 10K distance for the first time. It is an awesome feeling. You will finish the race

@Rennay – so sorry about your DNF. I’ve been there. Only you can know that and you did what was best for you. Even though you were disappointed, I am proud that you still are looking forward with a positive attitude.

@Todd – I love and agree with your response to Rennay. Sound advice.

@Usulsuspct_-_Jason: great job on the 0to1650 swimming. I was suppose to do week 3 last week but couldn’t get to the pool. This week I will be starting week 3. I hope I can jump in to it without having to repeat W2D3 over.

As for me, last week was really hectic for both family and exercising. I ran 2.5 miles on Tuesday and have not worked out since. Some workouts were cancelled due to hubby working late so I had to play taxi cab for the boys. We finished up spring basketball and lacrosse this week as well. Lacrosse ended in a charity event for the Wounded Warriors Project called Shootout for Soldiers, a 24 hour lacrosse event. It was busy and fun but really nice to do something like that.
My ankle has been really stiff the last couple days but that’s usual if I haven’t worked out or stretched it. Saturday, I woke up for the boys swim team at 5:30am and my ankle was stiff but also had a slight throbbing pain. I volunteer early for swim team so I was on my feet from 5:30 until about 8:30am. The whole time, the pain in my ankle got worst. I had to text hubby to come help me breakdown the tents and stuff and just in case I need him to drive. We live a mile and a half from the pool so he walked over.
I hope to get back to the gym this week. I can swim (I think) without causing more pain but may not be able to run.

For FATHER’S in the group: HAPPY FATHER’S DAY!!
2013-06-16 8:55 AM
in reply to: #4725832

User image

Rensselaer, New York
Happy Father's Day to all the Dads!
2013-06-16 9:58 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Veteran
Louisville

So today was the first tri of the season and also my first DNF. Even though I'm disappointed and highly embarrassed I think I made the right decision. I really haven't felt like myself the past week and a half (tired, irritable, no appetite etc.) and I think I'm just really overwhelming myself and trying to do everything. On the drive up to Indianapolis last night I had my phone out answering emails, my wedding binder out to work on the number of guests before a meeting with a venue coming ups this week and a notebook on standby to start my packing list for Peru. My fiancé (still weird) started telling me about his day and I just burst into tears. I was beyond tired and just couldn't even think of words. So we got to the hotel and I got everything ready for the race and laid down but instead of that nervous excited semi sleep you have the night before a race I was out cold and woke up with a start to my alarm this morning completely disoriented. I did all my normal pre-race stuff and tried to get excited but just felt drained. I set up everything, tested the water and was confident that I could tackle the distance but still just felt bleh. I lined up in the chute and went into the water but things didn't feel right at all. I took a few strokes and felt like I was swimming in syrup. My arms and legs were dead. I tried every trick to keep going but was fully exhausted after like 50 meters. I swam back to shore where I could stand and tried to get it together but just all around felt like crap. I tried again 2 more times but just kept feeling worse so I called it, got out of the water and turned in my chip. Even walking up to the beach was hard. Don't get me wrong, I'm really upset about it but I'm positive I made the right call. Especially knowing the course I was way too tired to have finished the bike and that's if I could even get through the swim first. I'm writing this from the car and haven't stopped yawning since I woke up and still feel like a paperweight. Hope I didn't scare any of you newbies off. I just think sometimes you need to know when to fold em.

Sorry to hear about the DNF, I'm glad that you are good with your choice because that is what matters. I also applaud you for coming on here and posting about what I know was a disappointing day for you. Stress and life can zap the life out of you and really affect the way you race and train. I have a question to ask you thought that may help you along this stressful time. Do you feel that you were properly trained and physcially prepared for the race today? I ask not because of the DNF, but to my point. I think that sometimes when things are the craziest and we don't have the ability to prepare the way we want we still schedule races. I think these facts will largely effect the way you feel when you line-up for your next race as well. I don't think that your year or training has to be gauged by what races you have or have not done. I have heard that a race is icing on the cake, and is the way I approached it this year. I told myself that I would not sign up for a race until everything was in line and I was prepared for it. Like I have said before, I use to just workout a few times a couple weeks out from an event and then go do it. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, but I also was not really improving my health / physical ability (I did the races so that I could say I did them). I am not only saying this to you or becuase of today, but more for the group. I can also tell you that this year I have learned to use training days as my stress relief. Next to spending quality time with the family, my training days are what keep me level. Some times though I don't have time and maybe that is just what has happened to you lately and with the schedule you have coming up will continue to have happen. Like I said before, good for you for making a decision and sticking by it, plus taking your safety into consideration. It after all is just an event, and an event you paid to participate in. Maybe this year will end up being a build year and you doing what you can when you can. Just don't think that you have to race to validate your work. No matter what stay active in life and know that you are still a Turtle and wanted by everyone in this group. I really hope I worded all of this the way I intended it to come out.

Thanks for your words of wisdom as always. I know I was capable of the distances but I also know I have not spent enough time on the bike and instead of resting a bit beforehand I worked harder than normal. I am a scheduler by nature and have been completely out of sorts the past couple of weeks so my workouts have been sporadic and random which definitely messed with my head and body. I'm learning that I have really high expectations of myself and always want to be able to do everything. Especially when it comes to racing, it's where I feel like I can be myself, enjoy, be proud of myself and be in control. I won't go into all the exercise therapy stuff but not having been able to train like I want has had a lot of effects. I'm hoping I can work things out soon and I'm really sorry to have disappointed anyone. Looks like you're all making great progress and I love keeping up with you all!
2013-06-16 10:00 AM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Veteran
Louisville
Originally posted by Lovey

@Taringa_-_Anna: congrats on running the 10K distance for the first time. It is an awesome feeling. You will finish the race

@Rennay – so sorry about your DNF. I’ve been there. Only you can know that and you did what was best for you. Even though you were disappointed, I am proud that you still are looking forward with a positive attitude.

@Todd – I love and agree with your response to Rennay. Sound advice.

@Usulsuspct_-_Jason: great job on the 0to1650 swimming. I was suppose to do week 3 last week but couldn’t get to the pool. This week I will be starting week 3. I hope I can jump in to it without having to repeat W2D3 over.

As for me, last week was really hectic for both family and exercising. I ran 2.5 miles on Tuesday and have not worked out since. Some workouts were cancelled due to hubby working late so I had to play taxi cab for the boys. We finished up spring basketball and lacrosse this week as well. Lacrosse ended in a charity event for the Wounded Warriors Project called Shootout for Soldiers, a 24 hour lacrosse event. It was busy and fun but really nice to do something like that.
My ankle has been really stiff the last couple days but that’s usual if I haven’t worked out or stretched it. Saturday, I woke up for the boys swim team at 5:30am and my ankle was stiff but also had a slight throbbing pain. I volunteer early for swim team so I was on my feet from 5:30 until about 8:30am. The whole time, the pain in my ankle got worst. I had to text hubby to come help me breakdown the tents and stuff and just in case I need him to drive. We live a mile and a half from the pool so he walked over.
I hope to get back to the gym this week. I can swim (I think) without causing more pain but may not be able to run.

I'll be doing week 3 this week too I hope so we will be together. Take care of that ankle though! Have you ever tried acupuncture? Sounds scary and weird but I swear by it!

2013-06-16 10:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for your words of wisdom as always. I know I was capable of the distances but I also know I have not spent enough time on the bike and instead of resting a bit beforehand I worked harder than normal. I am a scheduler by nature and have been completely out of sorts the past couple of weeks so my workouts have been sporadic and random which definitely messed with my head and body. I'm learning that I have really high expectations of myself and always want to be able to do everything. Especially when it comes to racing, it's where I feel like I can be myself, enjoy, be proud of myself and be in control. I won't go into all the exercise therapy stuff but not having been able to train like I want has had a lot of effects. I'm hoping I can work things out soon and I'm really sorry to have disappointed anyone. Looks like you're all making great progress and I love keeping up with you all!

Rennay, no one is disappointed in you. You have had a lot lately and did what you needed to do. It is all a learning experience and I know that you will take what you need to from the events of the day. Keep your head and stay positive because there are always other races and other days. Redemption will be yours.
2013-06-16 10:58 AM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Lovey

Take care of that ankle, it's funny reading your post because I just had a co-worker go through a similar thing. He woke up in the middle of the night with his ankle hurting him and it just got worse. He went to the doctor and found out it was a mild sprain, which he then remember rolling it up before lunch earlier in the day. Doctor told him that it just need time to cool off and swell before he was able to realize that he did hurt it. Probably not your issue I just found it interesting how we can do something and not even realize it. Also, I applaud yall as great parents with highly athletic and active kids, but when I hear about yalls comings and goings I am happy that I stopped at one.
2013-06-16 10:58 AM
in reply to: 0

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by afischer01 2013-06-16 11:00 AM
2013-06-16 11:02 AM

Extreme Veteran
Happy Father's Day!

I got up early this morning and was met by my dauther with a hug and kiss for Father's Day. I then went out for a beautiful two hour, 34.5 mile bike ride before returning home and making breakfast with Tricia.
2013-06-16 11:02 AM

(IMG_0630 copy.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0630 copy.jpg (249KB - 9 downloads)

2013-06-16 11:09 AM

Extreme Veteran
Ashley, no that is some bike porn. I really like the way the red pops off that silver frame. Great looking bike and congrats to you, no go ride.
2013-06-16 2:02 PM

2013-06-16 3:44 PM

Rennay, no one is disappointed in you. You have had a lot lately and did what you needed to do. It is all a learning experience and I know that you will take what you need to from the events of the day. Keep your head and stay positive because there are always other races and other days. Redemption will be yours.

Rennay, I admire your persistence. I probably would've bagged the whole race after I first got out of the water. You gave it a couple more shots.
And as others have noted, it takes a special level of guts and discipline to discuss your day in a mature fashion, as you have done.
Things may not have gone the way you would have liked, but I think you have a lot to be proud of.
2013-06-16 9:44 PM

Well, its official! I registered for my first race. Supposedly it is mile for mile the most difficult in the state and possibly the country based on the reviews I've read. the distances are short but the bike and run are on crazy hills! I am more nervous about the swim though. .6 mile open water. no turning back now!
2013-06-17 12:38 AM
in reply to: corbetjackson50

Gold Coast, Australia

Ashley, that's a nice bike! Very sleek, it really looks like it does the businessLaughing

Corbet, congrats on biting the bullet and registering for the tri! Sounds fierce, a real challenge with the hills. When is it?

2013-06-17 7:01 AM
in reply to: corbetjackson50

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by corbetjackson50

Well, its official! I registered for my first race. Supposedly it is mile for mile the most difficult in the state and possibly the country based on the reviews I've read. the distances are short but the bike and run are on crazy hills! I am more nervous about the swim though. .6 mile open water. no turning back now!

Congrats to you Corbet, Now Go Train
2013-06-17 11:44 AM

Ashley, that's a nice bike! Very sleek, it really looks like it does the businessLaughing

Corbet, congrats on biting the bullet and registering for the tri! Sounds fierce, a real challenge with the hills. When is it?

Thanks! race day is July 27th!
2013-06-17 8:11 PM
in reply to: 0

Veteran
And I'm back!!!!!!! So here is what I've been up to. While at work Thursday night I got a call from my sitter saying that my boy was screaming and was inconsolable. This is very abnormal for him so I grabbed my partner and headed over. When I got there I could hear him before I could see him. he was holding his ear saying it hurt and that he couldn't hear. Just the look he gave me said that his condition needed immediate attention. So I loaded him in my ambulance making my son now my patient. He was diagnosed with server swimmers ear in both ears. After two shots of high dose antibiotics and sedation he was sent home with three medications. The next three days where recovery but I'm happy to say he's finally on the mend. Yesterday I got some help with caring for him so I could get a bike ride in.

I spent all of my last winter on the bike trainer focusing on strength and power output. I tackled a hill that last least I really fought with but yesterday I didn't seem so bad. So happy so see my winters work paying off. Today I did a 20 minute open water swim followed by a run. While on my run I noticed one of my friends there too so we finished the circuit together. We must have made a laughable sight. Martin was easily spinning on his bike while I was on foot huffing and puffing to keep up. But I still laid down some decent times.

Okay so now to everyone else. Regarding the DNF, I think it takes a lot of courage to realize that you are not fully ready mentally out physically. I did a race last year that went bad bad bad. I pushed through it and to this day I wish I had the courage to ask for a DNF.

In regards to the silver bike: Congratulations!!!!! Is it a male or female? What is the bike's name? I'm sure you two will have many enjoyable miles together.

Beth

Edited by Hubbie 2013-06-17 8:14 PM
2013-06-17 8:13 PM
in reply to: Hubbie

Veteran
Oh and congrats on the 10k run!!! Feels amazing didn't it. Keep up the wonderful work.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 45