BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2011-01-15 3:25 PM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!
Anne/Steve,

I was going to use the "Beginner 1/2 Ironman 20 week" program on BT but it concerns me that the max run is 2 hr and the max bike is 3 hr.  As slow as I am, that means i won't do a full 13 mile run and 56 mile bike.  Do you think I could add a little time to my long bike and long run each week so I could at least do the distance once or twice.
Denise

Anne, what are you doing for the 1/2

2011-01-15 6:03 PM
in reply to: #3301705

Master
Kitchener
LadyNorth - 2011-01-15 4:25 PM Anne/Steve,

I was going to use the "Beginner 1/2 Ironman 20 week" program on BT but it concerns me that the max run is 2 hr and the max bike is 3 hr.  As slow as I am, that means i won't do a full 13 mile run and 56 mile bike.  Do you think I could add a little time to my long bike and long run each week so I could at least do the distance once or twice.
Denise

Anne, what are you doing for the 1/2

I'm going to follow Matt Fitzgeralds', HIM Level 3 for the run and Level 4 for the swim and bike.    My longest run is even shorter than yours - 1 hour 50 minutes  - not sure how I am going to tackle this.   From everything I have read on running,  it is not necessary to run the full distance prior to your race - in fact, it is a rare training program that has you do that.   I think we need to get a few 17-18 km runs under our belt and apparently, we should have no problem getting the full distance done on race day.   But psychologically, some people need to get that full distance in at least once.   I'm probably in that boat.  I'm going to have to ignore the 1hr 50min time limit for training anyway, because I have no intention of running the full distance- my ideal combo would be run 10', walk 1 min.    I'm looking for Steve's thoughts on this too.  

My longest bike is 3hr 45 minutes which should be OK.   I have done 90 km in 3hr20min a few times.      I'm planning to get a few 100-125km rides in before the race.   

My training plan starts Feb. 28th.   Yours?

2011-01-15 6:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Anne,

I have Matt Fitzgerald's book and used it last year for awhile but I got frustrated looking up the codes for every workout.

Hey, take a look at what I found last week when I was looking around.  This is a Fitzgerald program.  The interesting thing about this is he mixes up time/distance workouts.  All the run workouts are in miles but the bike workouts are in minutes except for the long one which is in miles.  And week 11 has the long bike at 60 miles and the long run at 14 miles - which I would like.  I'm going to look at it in more detail and maybe consolidate a couple of training programs.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2010/09/training/super-simple-ironman-70-3-triathlon-training-plan_12364

Denise
2011-01-15 9:35 PM
in reply to: #3301613

User image

Champion

DENISE -

NOOOO! She's gorgeous, a true thing of beauty!!

The photo of her leaping off the deck was taken about 6 or 7 years ago, I would guess. We would throw a frisbee or something, and she would launch herself off the deck before hitting the gfround running.

She is now 13.5, and not quite so spry. She can't hear much anymore, and maybe has a cataract, but still loves her walks and is capable of breaking into mad sprints when the spirit moves her. (But with compromised hearing and vision, her exposure to certain aspects of her little private spirit world are quite limited. Good snout, though, still!)

The family photo is Christmas '08, I think.

2011-01-15 9:36 PM
in reply to: #3301628

User image

Champion

MANDY -

GREAT swim, well worth the nine hours round trip to the pool, or whatever it is!

2011-01-15 9:43 PM
in reply to: #3301705

User image

Champion

DENISE again -

Why aren't you considering the "Half Ironman - 20 Week" plan? I agree that the one you're talking about, the one based on RPE, comes up short in those critical areas. It might be good for someone with serious work or family commitments, but that's not really you, is it?

The plan I'm talking about has 13 days off over the 20 weeks, while yours has 28 days off. Also, for "mine", it has 9 weeks with no days off.

I guess you could mix 'n' match the two, but it might be worth it to just start the more challenging of the two and see how it suits you.

Please let me know if either you didn't notice the other plan, or what exactly didn't appeal to you about it, okay?

2011-01-16 7:55 AM
in reply to: #3301962

Master
Kitchener
LadyNorth - 2011-01-15 7:22 PM Anne,

I have Matt Fitzgerald's book and used it last year for awhile but I got frustrated looking up the codes for every workout.

Hey, take a look at what I found last week when I was looking around.  This is a Fitzgerald program.  The interesting thing about this is he mixes up time/distance workouts.  All the run workouts are in miles but the bike workouts are in minutes except for the long one which is in miles.  And week 11 has the long bike at 60 miles and the long run at 14 miles - which I would like.  I'm going to look at it in more detail and maybe consolidate a couple of training programs.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2010/09/training/super-simple-ironman-70-3-triathlon-training-plan_12364

Denise

Thanks Denise.   I printed the article off and will use some of the run and swim workouts over the next several weeks till I start my training plan.    A 16 week plan scares me a bit - I'm following a 20 week plan, but would really prefer a 24 week plan.   Somehow, I just think a 16 week plan would have me ready. 

I like Matt's philosophy of keeping things simple and the repetition; I followed the 20HIM last year for my aqua bike and initially looking up the codes was a pain but by the 4th week I rarely needed to look them up just because of the repetition factor;  I'm also really good at memorizing crap; I photocopied the codes and kept them on my desk and each week I enter my training into BT on Sunday night for the entire week with workout details and then just have to tweak my log on the actual day of training.   It works well for me.  

I like that he has Monday as a recovery day.   I end up using that day to get the house in order for the week and do a bunch of cooking so sometimes it really isn't a recovery day but I prefer it over Friday.   In the warmer months the weekends are pretty heavy on the training so I need that day off.      

Have you tried the Tempo trainer yet?

2011-01-16 7:57 AM

Master
Kitchener
DENISE,

Oops.   

Somehow, I just think a 16 week plan would have me ready.  WOULD NOT have me ready.  

2011-01-16 8:15 AM

Master
Kitchener
STEVEB,

I'm REALLY jealous!   You are getting way too much cross country skiing in.      
2011-01-16 8:24 AM

Master
Kitchener
Got some exciting news.   Ken just got back from annual end of year sales meeting and made it into the President's Club  - we get to go to the Grand Cayman Marriott resort for 5 days, March 9th.    Down side it is the 2nd week of my training plan and I'm not a beach/sun person, but thinking it might be a good chance to get some outdoor running in.    I'm too much of a wimp to do it in the freezing whether we have been having.  
2011-01-17 11:23 AM
in reply to: #3302200

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
stevebradley - 2011-01-15 9:43 PM DENISE again - Why aren't you considering the "Half Ironman - 20 Week" plan? I agree that the one you're talking about, the one based on RPE, comes up short in those critical areas. It might be good for someone with serious work or family commitments, but that's not really you, is it? The plan I'm talking about has 13 days off over the 20 weeks, while yours has 28 days off. Also, for "mine", it has 9 weeks with no days off. I guess you could mix 'n' match the two, but it might be worth it to just start the more challenging of the two and see how it suits you. Please let me know if either you didn't notice the other plan, or what exactly didn't appeal to you about it, okay?

I did look at that plan.  BUT - I'm currently at about 7 hrs/week and will be up to 8 next month just before I start a 1/2 plan.
The plan you're referring to STARTS AT 11 HRS:50 MIN THE FIRST WEEK.  That seems a bit much (for me).  Plus I really need 1 day off a week.

Denise

I think I'll look at the Fitzgerald plans again.  He has so many levels - I might find a better fit - just have to get used to the codes.  Or else, just take a day and put the workout desc for the whole program into my planned log - then don't need to worry about codes anymore.

2011-01-17 11:34 AM
in reply to: #3302443

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
latestarter - 2011-01-16 8:24 AM Got some exciting news.   Ken just got back from annual end of year sales meeting and made it into the President's Club  - we get to go to the Grand Cayman Marriott resort for 5 days, March 9th.    Down side it is the 2nd week of my training plan and I'm not a beach/sun person, but thinking it might be a good chance to get some outdoor running in.    I'm too much of a wimp to do it in the freezing whether we have been having.  

Oh, I am really jealous.  I am so tired of cold and snow. 
Denise
2011-01-17 1:28 PM
in reply to: #3293203

New user
Hey Groovetimers,

Had my followup with the surgeon on Thursday. The doctor and the nurse both commented that everything looks great and it sounds like I am ahead of most other people at that point in the recovery. Friday I started doing stairs more and was more comfortable doing them.

I'm feeling quite good. Still a little hunched over when I walk and my strides are shorter but otherwise I feel good. Probably too good as I feel like I can be doing a lot more than I have been told I can. Being limited to lifting no more than 10 lbs or a gallon of milk is hard to do!!

As for getting back into working out I was told at 3 weeks I can start doing longer quicker walks and that at this point I should be feeling back to normal. At 4 weeks I can go back to everything, obviously ease into it. I figure at 4 weeks (which is when I will be going back to work) I will start again at the gym. Then at week 6 will probably try and start into a plan to get ready for Steelhead HIM.

SteveB, as for the athlete who is got the sports hernia surgery, that was Chris Osgoode. Sports Hernia, is not a hernia at all. It's more of a groin injury as often during surgery it is found one of the muscles or ligaments is torn on the inner thigh to the groin. For more info go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_hernia/>Sounds like not the most pleasant experience. Knowing how Ozzy plays, I'm not surprised this would affect him. He's also the 2nd Red Wing to have this fixed this year. We need him back soon as well now that we are down to our 3rd string goalie...Not a good thing!
2011-01-17 2:15 PM
in reply to: #3304242

User image

Champion

DENISE -

Now that you have mentioned a few qualifiers to what you want/need, I will look around too and see what I can find. If all else fails, I can give a shot at drawing from both plans to get something that works for you. Let me know if you find anything.

Order of prefernce for Super Bowl:

Bears
Packers
Steelers

jets.

Bah.

2011-01-17 2:20 PM
in reply to: #3304546

User image

Champion

SHAUN -

Osgoode was the one! Thanks!

Your prognosis sounds very good; in fact, could hardly be better! Pretty soon you'll be strolling about with impunity while balancing many jugs of milk on your arms. Halleloo!

I will look at that link. I wonder if that is what has bugged me for over two years now, just about anytime I have to sit for over an hour or two (driving is a big problem). I guess I'll find out. Thanks for that, too!

On the topic of sports, VERY fine finish to the season for the Lions!

2011-01-17 5:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Shaun - I knew you'd heal fast - Don't overdue it - you want a quality recovery for the long haul.

Steve - The "regular" BT 1/2 ironman program has 4 bikes a week.  If i took one out, the volume would be manageable for me and I'd still have 3 bikes a week.  I think Im either going to do that or add some volume to the beginner run/bike.  Decided I'm too lazy to deal with the Fitzgerald codes - haha

Denise

Favre filed for retirement with the NFL - boy, I bet he wishes he hadn't come back.  I don't care about the football playoffs but I'm a happy camper because both MN and WI basketball teams are in the top 25

2011-01-18 8:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Hey, all ... back from Disney World and exhausted!!  Had a great time.  In scanning the posts, I see that I missed a birthday ... HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY STEVE!!.  Will catch up later.  Need to get to work now.

LISA
2011-01-18 11:26 AM
in reply to: #3305941

Master
Kitchener
lufferly - 2011-01-18 9:43 AM Hey, all ... back from Disney World and exhausted!!  Had a great time.  In scanning the posts, I see that I missed a birthday ... HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY STEVE!!.  Will catch up later.  Need to get to work now.

LISA

Welcome back Lisa.   Glad you had a great time!
2011-01-18 7:07 PM
in reply to: #3306446

User image

Champion

ANNE -

Believe it or not, I'm finally about ready to put some swim thoughts into words. In the past couple of weeks I have cottoned onto one or two more things, which I am trying to meld seamlessly into the stuff I'm trying to meld seamlessly into my pre-existing stroke. I continue to be optimistic!

Is this the week you have a gut-busting run test? Thursday or Friday, was it?

I saw the entry lists for Musselman, and saw that you haven't registered yet. Not to worry! My sense is that there are still about 647 spots left, so keep testing your run legs within the worry of having to rush the entry.

How are you legs doing, anyhow? My feet continue to be slightly problematic, but each of the past few eeks has seen me do three runs totalling about 20 miles, so I'm guess things are well enough for that much. i actually had a terrific run last Thursday, where everything felt smooth as silk. It's been about 3 months since I had one of those babies!

My last two weeks were big-volume, and I ask myself --- what was the point of THAT? There is no IM on my sched at all, let alone an early-season one that might justify big hours. Doh? I guess the spirit has simply moved me, and to heck with any structured plan!

Admittedly, some of those hours were "soft", such as 95' last week doing my la-de-da cross-country skis. I have picked up the pace on the last 3 or 4, though, so that makes me feel slightly righteous. This week I am trying to cub my enthusiasm some and keep total hours around 8-9.........but I make no guarantees!

2011-01-19 12:10 PM
in reply to: #3301613

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
LadyNorth - 2011-01-15 2:17 PM

Got my new Finis Temp Trainer - will try this week.

Oh Lisa, I am so tired of snow and cold - wish I was going to DisneyWorld

Mark - like your new pic - I'm registered for Albert Lea

Steve - I happened upon your profile very nice and attractive family pic and your crazy looking dog pic - haha

Great Denise, I'm registered for Albert Lea too. I look forward to seeing you there again this year.

Mark
2011-01-20 8:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
STEVE B, are you anywhere near London ON?  That's where my daughter has been the last couple of days ... it looks to be REALLY cold! 

ANNE, congrats to your husband! When will the trip to the Caymans be?

SHAUN, glad to hear the recovery is going so well.  Just don't jump back in too quick.  The training and races will always be there.

MARK, like the new profile pic.  One of these days, I'm going to have to figure out how to change mine.

DENISE, have you had the chance to use your tempo trainer?  Anxious to hear what you think about it.

Still trying to recover from my trip to Disney World.  Way too many late nights for me and I feel like I'm playing catch up.  My half marathon is a week from Sunday.  At this point, I'm just ready to get it over with.  I've signed up for 6 swim clinics with the masters swim group in February and March, and am looking forward to cutting back on the running, and getting back in the pool and on my bike.  Starting to look at my race schedule for this year at this point, and may add a couple of duathlons this year.

LISA

2011-01-20 8:54 PM
in reply to: #3312436

User image

Champion

LISA -

No, but Anne is! She is in Kitchener, about an hour from London. I am about 6.5 hours from Anne, so I hardly count in all of this.

Sooooooo........Houston h-m is ten days away, I do believe, and how are you feeling? You've been mighty quiet about your training, and I hope that no news is good news, or at least good-enough, run-of-the-mill news. Feeling fine, with no injury-type stuff?

Curious minds want to know!

2011-01-21 7:52 AM

Master
Kitchener
STEVE,

Have come to the realization that I am doing what alot of triathletes do and that is spend too much time on my strongest discipline.   At one time swim was my weakest and although still slow, think I can hold my own in my age group; running is now the weakest.  

Even spending inordinate amounts of time in the pool/open water will only produce small gains in terms of time; much bigger gains to be seen in improving my run time.  MUST start focussing on that; so am switching schedule to do my run before my swims and if something has to go it will be my swim.  

It is much easier to increase a swim session from 45 min to 1 hour or 1 hour to 1.5, to make up time/distance if I have to bag one during the week.   If I miss a run session, you can't make it up by adding to the next run - too much risk of injury.  Running seems to be the one discipline that absolutely requires consistency.   Have read that even seasoned/experienced runners must go back to the 10% rulel and ease into things after having been away from running for only 2 weeks (but most don't); contributing to the high numbers of runners that are always injured.

Wish I had a running class/coach similar to the biking - having that committment seems to make it so much easier to happen.   Going to have to work on my discipline and stop thinking about it and just do it.

We're going to register for Musselman any day now.   I had that setback for about a week or so before Christmas and then my knee was doing great.   Missed yoga for a week or so recently and knee has felt like never before (good); went to yoga Tuesday and tweaked it again - pinpointed it to one of 3 postures.   This has been in the back of my mind for a while.   Took the following day off and feeling fine again - went to yoga last night and didn't do those postures and/or modified them and no issues at all.    Feeling good about this.    Will let you know how my run goes today.

Are you doing Musselman? 

Must run.   Was on City Line TV last Friday and it is being aired in 10 minutes.    Maybe I'll be on camera!   

2011-01-21 2:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
My new Gel Noosa tri shoes
They come with elastic laces which I haven't put on yet, glow-in-the dark stripes, and supposedly you don't need socks.

Edited by LadyNorth 2011-01-21 2:30 PM

(IMG_0305b.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0305b.jpg (32KB - 15 downloads)
2011-01-21 3:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

-35F here this am.

Lisa - You don't sound too excited about your half - that's ok - the advantage is that you won't get all stressed about it.
I've tried the Temp Trainer and it's a lot of fun.  I would swim a lap, rest, then change the timing.  One thing was really noticeable - it seemed like I was swimming really slow the length out and then faster on the length back even tho it was the same pace - I think that's related to perceived effort (or actual effort).  The lifeguard asked me if I was the one beeping and I thought maybe it was going to be an issue but he said "No - he just didn't know where the beep was coming from".

Anne - I think you are dead right about consistent running.  Fortunately, that's my favorite workout so I usually don't skip.  I need to really focus on the bike - that's where I can make the most gains.  And, like you, no matter how much I swim, I'm not going to gain much.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276