BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chet's Group is out doing it!- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2011-03-27 3:56 PM
in reply to: #3256537

Subject: RE: Chet's Group is out doing it!- Closed

Welcome back Mel.

Chet: sounds like that guy was lucky you were around, shame the race was a shambles but its a good job you were there to help. It really feels weird to be caught out like that even though its your day to day job. Without all the equipment and back up it is a scary business. I hope the guy does well.

2011-03-27 7:31 PM

User image

Expert
Noosa

Hi everyone!

I've got no internet at home yet since the house move so haven't been able to post.

Sounds like everyone is getting stuck into it, shame about the guy in your race Chet, I sometimes think we place a bit too much trust in race organizers, you sort of just assume that they've planned the course etc properly.

The first time I did an ocean swim race it started in the harbour and you swam out and round to end on a beach. Afterwards my kids said "don't you always tell us we mustn't swim in harbours because of the sharks"! I think if someone organises it we tend to just turn up and do it...

My training's going well, I did a bit of extra riding last week and also fitted in a 5k race on Friday evening after work (first event of the Mooloolaba Triathlon festival); friends were doing the tri and rang me at the last minute to join them for the Asics Twilight 5K.

Anyway, ran another PB!!! 22:49 according to my Garmin so 2 PB's in 6 days. The winner ran it in 14mins 14 which was pretty impressive.

2011-03-27 11:36 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV

Congrats on the PR's David!!  Good to hear from everyone. 

Mel - The moving back and forth has to be brutal!  Great job staying fit.

Everyone have a good night.

2011-03-28 1:59 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Times are finally up for my race.  I was DFL but had a 19:41 5k run.  I am pretty happy with that after spending almost 2 hours out on the bike.
2011-03-28 6:23 PM

User image

Expert
Noosa

That's a fast 5k Chet! I can't imagine ever getting below 20mins.

I did a 3k swim at the pool this morning, longest swim of my program so far. Felt good once I'd warmed up and did some steady 300m repeats at race pace.

The key for me today seemed to be to concentrate on tucking my chin in and not allowing my head to lift when I breathed to the side.

My Oly in in 4 1/2 weeks now, getting a bit nervous!

Dave

2011-03-28 11:37 PM
in reply to: #3415049

User image

Veteran
cwpeters - 2011-03-25 7:44 PM

Everybody must be training hard and not have enough time to chat, that's great!  Keep up the good work!  

I have a busy weekend ahead, group ride/BRICK in the morning, some geocaching with the family (first time) then hopefully an afternoon/evening canoe trip through a local wildlife preserve.  And that's just the plan for Saturday!  

Chet - good luck this weekend, hope you have a good race.  

Jeff - hope things are going well with the personal trainer studies.  Which exam are you studying for, I know there are several different companies/organizations that issue certificates.  The one that I know is pretty well accepted and respected in organized athletics is the NSCA CPT (National Strength Coaches' Association Certified Personal Trainer).  Their website has some great resources. 

Dave - better late than never, so WAY TO GO on the PR!  You are going to love your Garmin. 

Sheila - Thanks for the complement, I love races.  If I could race every weekend, I would.  My biggest problem is my competitiveness, I can not go easy in a race.  It got even worse once I got a taste of success by winning a few races in the Clydesdale division. 

NSCA is the one I am going with. I can home study and then do the didactic testing 5 hrs from here. The Tri coach level I is through USAT. I am considering that because there aren't any coaches in this area. But there is a triathlon in the area. Which brings me to the overall plan...get certified and start a small pocket of trained athletes to compete in the area a perpetuate their healthy lifestyle (sucking more people into multisport) all the while allowing me to learn more about multisport through training. I think my evil plan will work perfectly.

Chet- Very cool of you to help that guy. As you said, you probably did prevent someone else from getting hurt by warning them.

BTW folks I am racing for Challenged Athletes Foundation Operation Rebound. Here is the link if anyone is interested.

https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=451145&supId=324161286

Edited by StrayDog 2011-03-28 11:55 PM

2011-03-29 6:13 PM

User image

Regular
Henderson
Testing, testing, 123.    Just making sure my computer will post what I type as you could see last week I tried posting but the words wern't coming up.
2011-03-29 6:29 PM

User image

Regular
Henderson

It worked, now lets see if I can get this typed up within a resonable time.  Im at work.  I havent had much time for the computer but thinking of you all here.  Sounds like everyone is doing great.

Chet, nice work on the 5k.  I bet that guy is lucky you were the one there for him.  Hope he is recovering well.  What is DFL? 

Mel, good luck on your transition back to Vancover.  Keep training. 

Ross, personal coach/Tri coach would awesome.  Great knowledge for yourself too!!

Chris, I think I would enter a lot more races if it weren't for the cost.  It gets pretty expensive with the entry fees I can't imagine traveling too.  I love that I choose to do the TRI, 3 sports, gear for each, lol.  Oh well it's livin life!!  How was the geocaching?  We've done it once and loved it, would be nice to get out and try again.  Weather is getting nice for it now.

David, awesome PR numbers and on your training! 3k, wow, Im just focusing on the 800 meter, lol.   Funny your kids called you on your 'rule' but like you said someone else plans and we just show up. 

Hope everyone else is doing well.  Doing the best I can, it's 29 days till my 1st TRI and Im really nervous.  I took the wetsuit to the pool just to be able to get it on and swim with it.  Hope it doesnt damage it.  It is tight and seems a bit harder to swim although it helps keep me up, lol. 

Gotta jet, take care all!

2011-03-29 10:06 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida

Sounds like everyone is as busy as I am!  Saturday was exhausting with a 40 mile group ride, 3 mile run, 2.5 miles of geocaching, 2.6 miles of canoeing before ending the evening with some live music by one of our favorite local bands and a very well deserved black & tan (or 2).

Chet - I have only had one situation where there was an accident during a race and it was right at the entrance to T2 and the EMTs were already running towards the injured guy.  I didn't stop, but did relay what I saw to the EMT as I passed him.  Anywhere else on the course and I would have stopped.  I still debate carrying medical supplies on the bike at all times.

Ross - Good luck with the certification.  I want to do the same in my area but can't find that extra 25th hour in the day to get it done.

Mel - Safe travels, hope everything goes smooth for you.

David - Sounds like a case of "Do as I say, not as I do."

2011-03-30 12:28 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV

I heard from the race director today.  The rider is home with the family and doing well.  Worst injury was a bruised spine.  They say that is what caused the paralysis in his arm.  Some stitches and TLC and sounds like he is going to be ok.  Helmet did its job!

Sheila- nerves are normal and the wetsuit takes getting used too.  You will swim faster with it though I promise.  Just keep at it.  It is supposed to be 90 Friday so it is warming up.  Where was spring? 

DFL is "Dead f*(# Last".  It goes DFL is better than DNF (Did Not Finish) is better than DNS(Did Not Start). DFL>DNF>DNS

Chris - Black and Tan's are tasty! (second always better than the first)

2011-03-30 12:04 PM

Erm...It is not me who is doing the coach training. I can barely find time to train myself. Laughing

Ross

2011-03-30 9:20 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida

Good night for 20 miles on the trainer.
2011-03-30 9:20 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida

Good night for 20 miles on the trainer.
2011-03-31 7:31 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Dull ache in left calf since hill repeats on Tuesday so had an extra rest day, hope I can run tomorrow...
2011-03-31 3:20 PM

Things are looking up!

Did a sufferfest workout last night (the downward spiral) and compared my details to the last time I did that one (last november). Delighted to find out that my average speed had gone up by 1.5 miles per hour and yet my average heart rate had dropped by 10bpm.

As the workout is on the same bike using the same trainer I reckon that is pretty good evidence of an improvement in fitness and it is only March. Great to feel that the training is starting to have an effect.

At least some of that is due to this group so thanks to all you guys for taking part and to Chet for being willing to mentor.

2011-03-31 3:52 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Sorry about the last post, the picture was a radar shot of Florida as a line of severe thunderstorms passed through the area.  We are getting the same weather today.  Pool is closed, streets are underwater so I'm going with my wife to see the movie "My Run" tonight.  Can I log that as a run workout?

2011-03-31 11:22 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Ross that is great!  You did all the hard work but having some accountablility in groups like this really helps me too.  Glad to see you are making that kind of progress so quickly.
2011-03-31 11:24 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
David - I struggle with keeping my calves stretched out enough.  I use "The Stick" now after every run and need an occasional tweak from the sports doc too.  Keep on top of it or it may get worse.  Remember ICE ICE ICE!!!
2011-04-01 6:20 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa

Calf seems to be ok, I ran a slow 11k after work tonight without any problems.

Taking an extra rest day yesterday was a good idea.

It's always hard to do more intense running sessions without picking up a few aches and pains afterwards, I've learned from experience that once you're really injured it ruins your training plans!

Anyway, 4 weeks till the Olympic tri!

I've got to work tomorrow morning but I'll fit in my swim first.

Big brick session scheduled for Sunday: 25k/3k repeated 3x.....!!!!

2011-04-01 3:13 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
David - Glad to hear your calf is OK!  That Brick sounds like a butt kicker!  Its focus I am sure is to get you running well off the bike.  That third run is going to test you.
2011-04-01 11:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Running a small two miler tomorrow with the kids. Feeling pretty good about it with the exception that it may rain. Stay tuned. When I get back my wife and I will do "spring cleaning". That is when all of the bad foods get thrown out or donated. The general rule is: If you think it is Junk Food...It is...and it's out. Oh boy is the 15 year old going to be upset...again. Surprisingly, teenagers adapt really quickly.

2011-04-03 10:42 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Great weekend at the cabin. We got some good snow last night so we have to wait for the plow to get home. Hope everyone is having a great weekend.
2011-04-03 6:46 PM

User image

Expert
Noosa

Survived the brick session!

There was a strong headwind going down the coast which made things a bit tough but helped on the way back.

The runs were ok and the only section I felt like I was struggling on was the final bike session.

Recovery week for me now!

2011-04-04 3:47 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV

Congrats on the brick David.  

So how did everyone's March totals look?

I don't know how to cut and paste on my Mac so they are:

Bike- 267 miles

Run - 41 (recovery from marathon) miles

Swim - 14,850 m

For me it was getting back to tri training and away from just running.  Big volume build starting in July.

2011-04-04 7:42 PM

User image

Expert
Noosa

March totals:

Swim: 16,200m

Bike: 334km

Run: 99km

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chet's Group is out doing it!- Closed Rss Feed  

of 28