BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Super Cats Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2009-05-17 11:16 PM
in reply to: #2156819

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: RE: Super Cats Mentor Group - CLOSED

D001 - 2009-05-18 1:12 PM
kaqphin - 2009-05-17 8:50 PM

D001 - 2009-05-18 10:20 AM
kaqphin - 2009-05-17 8:15 PM Are you doing a strength routine?

I was.... I was using weights 2-3 times a week. Then work got crazy (crazier), and I slacked off on it. I need to get back to it though.

Twice a week would be plenty and just do compound exercises hitting the main muscle groups if you dont have huge amounts of time...

Something like sets of 3 x 12 :

Squats, Lunges, Push ups or Chest Press, Lat Pulldown/One Arm Rows, Shoulder Press or Lat Raises, Biceps/Triceps (if you want) and a good core/lower back routine would be PLENTY for starting out!

You can mix it up and add in more legs as well as changing the exercises but you basically want to hit all the main muscles in the legs as a group (working functionally), Back, chest, shoulders, arms (optional) and Core/lowerback

Squats and lunges really mess up my knees. Other than that, your list looks good. Thanks! (The knees aren't a new problem. I do leg extensions and leg curls to strengthen the muscles that support the knee..... Uh, when I work out, that is.)

Really? Even with no weights - what about something like a static squats against a wall? Or unweights squats with a swiss ball behind your back...

Have you been taught how to track your knees over your toes properly???

Im asking because leg extensions if not done properly and with a conservative weight can be really really bad on knees so the functional exercises *should* be better...

Another thing to consider with legs if you do have a lot of issues is to look at lighter weights and highr reps...much better... or even high resistance work on the exercise bike!

2009-05-18 10:02 AM
in reply to: #2072951

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
At my physical therapy for my knee they have me doing squats with the big ball behind my back, walking backwards with weights, and several other exercises to strengthen the muscles around my knee.
2009-05-18 4:55 PM
in reply to: #2157699

User image

Champion
Sydney

losta - 2009-05-19 1:02 AM At my physical therapy for my knee they have me doing squats with the big ball behind my back, walking backwards with weights, and several other exercises to strengthen the muscles around my knee.

The squats with the big ball (swiss ball) is a really common place to start... it supports your back and helps your movement/balance while you learn how to execute the exercise correctly makingsure your knees aretrackingover your toes correctly and your are able to hold your knee caps in alignment - its good stuff!!!

2009-05-18 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2156883

User image

Champion
Taser-World
kaqphin - 2009-05-18 12:16 AM
Really? Even with no weights - what about something like a static squats against a wall? Or unweights squats with a swiss ball behind your back...

Im asking because leg extensions if not done properly and with a conservative weight can be really really bad on knees so the functional exercises *should* be better...

Another thing to consider with legs if you do have a lot of issues is to look at lighter weights and highr reps...much better... or even high resistance work on the exercise bike!

No squats. No leg presses. Nothing that involves putting pressure on the knee. I was told this by two orthopedic doctors (on separate occasions).

Reason: Lack of cartilage in the knee. So bone hits bone. (Also, the kneecap doesn't track right.)

I've had this since I was a teenager. I have trouble with stairs, too. (And I had to stop swimming breastroke because of the whip kick.)

That's why I'm amazed that I was able to walkog my way through a 5K.

2009-05-18 7:46 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Super Cats Guide to Transitions - Part 3

So the final part of putting the transitions together once youve practiced some AND know how to set up your area is the actual execution during a race!

One of the things i find really useful is to think it through in my head so I feel like I KNOW whats going to happen and when in each of the transitions.

Firstly.... T1.

When I finish my swim I jog (pretty slowly it must be said) to the transition area. Along the way I remove my cap and goggles so Im ready. If you have a wetsuit it can be a good idea to get it unzipped and rolled down to your waist if you can... I dont race in a wetsuit but this is the advice Ive been told in the past.

When you get to your transition spot place your goggles/cap and wetsuit in an area that will not obstruct you for yruo next transition... I tend to put them at the back of my towel away frm my shoes etc as I wont need them again in the race.

Then its a matter of being methodical... if Im putting a shirt on that goes on first (I already have my race number pinned to the front. Then my sunglasses and helmet. Next I put on my bike shoes... if my feet are really dirty from the run out of the water i will squirt them with my water bottle and dry them on my towel (just wipe your feet like a doormat on the towel unless they are really bad.)

Next I will grab my bike and head for the bike exit! You should make sure when you set up your transition area that yuo know where the swim entrance/bike exit/bike entrance and run exit are. You should also make sure you know how to find your rack from each of the entrances!!!

I walk my bike over the dismount line to the side (so people flying through can get past me) the throw my leg over, clip in and GO!

Which moves me on to.... T2...

Coming in from the bike I once again stay to the side to let others doing flying dismounts get past. Slow down get off the bike just before the dismount line and take my bike into transition and back to my rack.

Rack my bike BEFORE doing anything... then remove helmet and put on socks/change my shoes... if you have a cap you can put that on and then off I go.

T2 is great because really you rack your bike, change shoes and remove helmet... thats about it!

Then all thats left to do is head out for your run and remember to smile for the photo at the finish line!

Are there any more questions about transitions i havent covered?

2009-05-18 7:50 PM
in reply to: #2159480

User image

Champion
Sydney

D001 - 2009-05-19 10:29 AM
kaqphin - 2009-05-18 12:16 AM Really? Even with no weights - what about something like a static squats against a wall? Or unweights squats with a swiss ball behind your back...

No squats. No leg presses. Nothing that involves putting pressure on the knee. I was told this by two orthopedic doctors (on separate occasions). Reason: Lack of cartilage in the knee. So bone hits bone. (Also, the kneecap doesn't track right.) I've had this since I was a teenager. I have trouble with stairs, too. (And I had to stop swimming breastroke because of the whip kick.) That's why I'm amazed that I was able to walkog my way through a 5K.

Wow that is pretty amazing you can run/walk if yuo cant do those other things...

Im actually amazed you can do leg extensions and curls too as they can put pressure on the knee too.... but I guess its different type of pressure... at least if you can do them both you are getting some balance!!

My kneecap tracks poorly but Ive learnt to control the muscles around it to pull it into alignment... neat trick actually... but not something I can easily explain unfortunatley....

2009-05-18 7:55 PM
in reply to: #2159518

User image

Champion
Taser-World
kaqphin - 2009-05-18 8:50 PM

Wow that is pretty amazing you can run/walk if yuo cant do those other things...

Im actually amazed you can do leg extensions and curls too as they can put pressure on the knee too.... but I guess its different type of pressure... at least if you can do them both you are getting some balance!!

My kneecap tracks poorly but Ive learnt to control the muscles around it to pull it into alignment... neat trick actually... but not something I can easily explain unfortunatley....

With the leg extensions/curls, I go slowly and keep from locking (or hyperextending) the knee. Also, I use fairly light weights.

Ahhh, I wish you could explain that kneecap tracking trick to me!

2009-05-18 8:02 PM
in reply to: #2159530

D001 - 2009-05-18 7:55 PM

kaqphin - 2009-05-18 8:50 PM

With the leg extensions/curls, I go slowly and keep from locking (or hyperextending) the knee. Also, I use fairly light weights.

Ahhh, I wish you could explain that kneecap tracking trick to me!

I dont do leg extensions...i hear they are bad on the knees or if you do...do very low weight.
2009-05-18 8:02 PM
in reply to: #2159508

User image

Champion
Taser-World
kaqphin - 2009-05-18 8:46 PM

If you have a wetsuit it can be a good idea to get it unzipped and rolled down to your waist if you can...

There's a neat wetsuit removal trick that I used to use.... I'm trying to figure out how to describe it. (I did this with scuba wetsuits, so they were thicker than tri suits, but I'm thinking it should still work the same way.)

I also found that rolling the suit made it tougher to take off - since you then had multiple layers (and the suit doesn't stretch a lot to begin with....) So...

Rather than rolling it down to your waist, you just pull it straight down, as far as you can. (Ideally, about knee or thigh level.)

Then you get one leg out, and use that foot to "push down" the suit from the opposite leg. (Keep holding it in your hand, while stepping on the crotch portion to push it down. And when that foot hits the ground, pull up with the leg that's still in the suit. This pulls it off that leg.)

Ie: pull the suit off your left leg. Then hold it with your left hand and step on it with the left foot.... Push until your left foot is on the ground (and you're standing on the suit.)... Then let go (with your hand), and pull up with your RIGHT foot, so that it comes out of the suit.

(Bleh, I'm picturing it, but I can't explain it. Too bad my wetsuit "shrunk" so much that I can't get it on past my knees now! LOL If I could pull it on, I'd be able to give you a better explanation of how to take it off this way....)

Edited by D001 2009-05-18 8:10 PM
2009-05-18 8:49 PM
in reply to: #2159530

User image

Champion
Sydney

D001 - 2009-05-19 10:55 AM
kaqphin - 2009-05-18 8:50 PM Wow that is pretty amazing you can run/walk if yuo cant do those other things...

With the leg extensions/curls, I go slowly and keep from locking (or hyperextending) the knee. Also, I use fairly light weights. Ahhh, I wish you could explain that kneecap tracking trick to me!

Its kind of tensing the muscles on the outside of your legs/but to pull your knee cap into a lignment before you start the exercise.... you actually physically see you knee cap move into position.. weird!

As long as you are careful Dee with the weights Im sure you will be fine!

2009-05-18 10:37 PM
in reply to: #2159623

User image

Champion
Taser-World
kaqphin - 2009-05-18 9:49 PM
Its kind of tensing the muscles on the outside of your legs/but to pull your knee cap into a lignment before you start the exercise.... you actually physically see you knee cap move into position.. weird!

It hurts just thinking about it! LOL

Well, I've had this problem since I was about 15, so it's not a "new issue."

2009-05-18 10:39 PM
in reply to: #2159808

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Question about running on hills:

What do you do "differently" when running up hills?

What do you do "differently" when running down hills?

(I'm thinking that you probably don't do much differently when going up. But when going down, I'm thinking you need to shorten your stride, so that you don't overstride.)

2009-05-18 11:16 PM
in reply to: #2159808

User image

Champion
Sydney

D001 - 2009-05-19 1:37 PM
kaqphin - 2009-05-18 9:49 PM Its kind of tensing the muscles on the outside of your legs/but to pull your knee cap into a lignment before you start the exercise.... you actually physically see you knee cap move into position.. weird!
It hurts just thinking about it! LOL

Well, I've had this problem since I was about 15, so it's not a "new issue."

Thats good... means yuo are used to dealing with it...

As for the knee... it doesnt hurt at all... not one little bit!

If you stan with your legs shoulder width apart with your feet planted as if you were going to do a squat... then tense the outside of your leg/glute you should see the muscles in your upper leg actibvate and your kneecap move...

Best explanation I can come up with!

2009-05-18 11:20 PM
in reply to: #2159812

User image

Champion
Sydney

D001 - 2009-05-19 1:39 PM Question about running on hills: What do you do "differently" when running up hills? What do you do "differently" when running down hills? (I'm thinking that you probably don't do much differently when going up. But when going down, I'm thinking you need to shorten your stride, so that you don't overstride.)

Running down hill can be really hard on the knees but the way I deal with it is to shift my weight back and take small steps while relying on the momentum to carry me as much as my own forward propulsion.... it can be really hard on the muscles of your legs so is just important to practice running down as running up...

Im not good going UP hills but hopefully one of the boys will have more to chime in... I just try to keep one foot in front of the other... Im pretty sure I take much smaller steps too but thats natural for me rather than anything planned!

2009-05-19 8:23 AM
in reply to: #2159623

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
kaqphin - 2009-05-18 9:49 PM

D001 - 2009-05-19 10:55 AM
kaqphin - 2009-05-18 8:50 PM Wow that is pretty amazing you can run/walk if yuo cant do those other things...

With the leg extensions/curls, I go slowly and keep from locking (or hyperextending) the knee. Also, I use fairly light weights. Ahhh, I wish you could explain that kneecap tracking trick to me!

I used to have the same problem but mine was caused by a muscle imbalance.  Some physical therapy and no longer doing the same repititious sport that I used to has cleared it up.  When it was at it's worst though, that last "pop" as the kneecap went in to place hurt.  You both have my sympathies!
2009-05-19 9:08 AM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY

Okay, I’m reaching way back and hitting the weight question that Cat posed to us earlier.  I’ve given up on the weight loss thing, to some extent, and am just trying to train properly at the moment.  I haven’t gone crazy and I am still watching what I eat, but I have gotten off the “what do I weigh” right now bandwagon. 

That being said, I’ve been slowly but steadily losing weight to the tune of 11 lbs in 2.5 months.  I won’t break any records but the scale is moving in the right direction, at least. 

I also am TOTALLY a boredom and stress eater.  The best thing about training with a long commute is that I have far less time to plant myself on the couch, get bored and then stuff my face.  My stress eating appears to be hereditary because my father is all about stuffing himself when times are difficult.

Fortunately, I have discovered a way to use my Catholic guilt against me (hey, my family does it enough, why can’t I?).  When I buy a bag of anything, such as peanuts or pretzels, I take some time while watching TV to weigh it out into servings and then put them into snack bags.  Not only does it help me realize what “a serving” actually is but it gives me a second to pause and think about whether I really want another one.  If I do, I have to consciously get up and walk to get another one.

I’m probably not exaggerating when I say that doing this has saved me thousands of calories in absent minded eating.

2009-05-19 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2160336

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Sulcus - 2009-05-19 10:08 AM

Okay, I’m reaching way back and hitting the weight question that Cat posed to us earlier.  I’ve given up on the weight loss thing, to some extent, and am just trying to train properly at the moment.  I haven’t gone crazy and I am still watching what I eat, but I have gotten off the “what do I weigh” right now bandwagon. 

That being said, I’ve been slowly but steadily losing weight to the tune of 11 lbs in 2.5 months.  I won’t break any records but the scale is moving in the right direction, at least. 

I also am TOTALLY a boredom and stress eater.  The best thing about training with a long commute is that I have far less time to plant myself on the couch, get bored and then stuff my face.  My stress eating appears to be hereditary because my father is all about stuffing himself when times are difficult.

Fortunately, I have discovered a way to use my Catholic guilt against me (hey, my family does it enough, why can’t I?).  When I buy a bag of anything, such as peanuts or pretzels, I take some time while watching TV to weigh it out into servings and then put them into snack bags.  Not only does it help me realize what “a serving” actually is but it gives me a second to pause and think about whether I really want another one.  If I do, I have to consciously get up and walk to get another one.

I’m probably not exaggerating when I say that doing this has saved me thousands of calories in absent minded eating.

Smart move Shawn, i also went from weighing myself 3-4x per week and worrying about it, to maybe once every two weeks to make sure i am not gaining a significant amount of weight, your clothes do not lie, i will be needing a new wardrobe come winter, as most of my pants are starting to fall off me, and my belts are getting to their last notch.  The weight will come off when it wants, i try to eat sensibly, treat myself every now and again, and make sure that i get enough food to fuel my big azz body.  That seems to be the problem i had in the last two weeks, schitty diet and not enough good food, it led me to be tired and irratable. I have started to actually eat more, and better food and i am feeling a ton better this week, your body will not lie and will tell you when you are Screwing up.

2009-05-19 9:21 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Oh and by the way,

I AM REGISTERING FOR A HALF IRON MAN IN OCTOBER..........FAT GUY GOING LONG BABY!!!!!!

2009-05-19 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
State College, PA
AWESOME, Dog! That's great news. And I'm glad to hear you're going to need new clothes. That's the best (and expensive) sign that you're doing a great job.
2009-05-19 10:08 AM
in reply to: #2160389

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY

Rudedog55 - 2009-05-19 10:21 AM Oh and by the way,

I AM REGISTERING FOR A HALF IRON MAN IN OCTOBER..........FAT GUY GOING LONG BABY!!!!!!

That's awesome!!  Congrats - it's a big undertaking but we know you'll do great!

I

2009-05-19 10:08 AM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY

That's awesome!!  Congrats - it's a big undertaking but we know you'll do great!

Hrm, I just might have to volunteer so I can witness it with my own eyes. 

Edited by Sulcus 2009-05-19 10:09 AM

2009-05-19 10:11 AM
in reply to: #2160534

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Sulcus - 2009-05-19 11:08 AM

Hrm, I just might have to volunteer so I can witness it with my own eyes. 

thats right, it is out in your neck of the woods...!!

2009-05-19 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
Well, it's still 2.5 hours away but I think the trip would be well worth it.  Hrm, now I have to think about how to get this approved by the boss. 
2009-05-19 6:41 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Rudedog55 - 2009-05-20 12:21 AM Oh and by the way,

Way to go puppy! Thats excellent news!

2009-05-19 6:43 PM
in reply to: #2160402

User image

Champion
Sydney

JoeBWan - 2009-05-20 12:24 AM AWESOME, Dog! That's great news. And I'm glad to hear you're going to need new clothes. That's the best (and expensive) sign that you're doing a great job.

New clothes are awesome... I threw out all my jeans/trousers from last winter over the weeekend as they are all way too big!

Of course I havent replaced them yet but hey I can stretch my summer wadrobe awhile longer... even if it does mean a lot of the time Im wrapped up in a big jumper over the top to stay warm!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Super Cats Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 58