in reply to: #3310778

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Subject: RE: Razorxp Group Is CLOSED
gabrelsj - 2011-01-20 9:17 AM
IceManScott - 2011-01-20 9:05 AM
gabrelsj - 2011-01-20 8:38 AM

does riding a bike on a trainer give you as good of a workout as riding outdoors?  it is so easy to hop on bike on trainer and ride at home but if it is better to hit the road i will.

There are those who think, me among them, that trainers are better workouts than riding outdoors.  You can control your power, your HR better...Better efficiency.   Going outdoors is fun, good rehearsal ...but outside you have to deal with conditions, traffic.

thanks. 

Oh, and don't forget the wind, you can't replicate that indoors very well...  But great fun outdoors and I do it alot, many thousand miles.  But from a workout standpoint, the trainer is less time, more efficient, more controlled.

2011-01-20 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3310803

User image

Veteran
IceManScott - 2011-01-20 9:27 AM

does riding a bike on a trainer give you as good of a workout as riding outdoors?  it is so easy to hop on bike on trainer and ride at home but if it is better to hit the road i will.

There are those who think, me among them, that trainers are better workouts than riding outdoors.  You can control your power, your HR better...Better efficiency.   Going outdoors is fun, good rehearsal ...but outside you have to deal with conditions, traffic.

thanks. 

Oh, and don't forget the wind, you can't replicate that indoors very well...  But great fun outdoors and I do it alot, many thousand miles.  But from a workout standpoint, the trainer is less time, more efficient, more controlled.

do you think you could be properly prepared for a HIM/IM with a majority of rides being indoors?
2011-01-20 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3310863

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
gabrelsj - 2011-01-20 9:43 AM

thanks. 

do you think you could be properly prepared for a HIM/IM with a majority of rides being indoors?

I think there has to be a mix.  Even before I had a computrainer, I loved the fluid trainer, but I have a power meter.  I can use the trainer to reproduce so many road situations, from climbs to VO2 max bursts of short duration.  I can also do high cadence drills, single pedal drills.  There is lots you can do with one.  Heart rate meters let you do much the same thing.  So for me, riding indoors during the week lets me get a great workout in and avoid the snow, ice, traffic etc.   On the weekend, I love riding outdoors.  I have routes that take me into hills along the rivers here.   I go out and ride the time trial course we race on every Tuesday.  I live 10 miles straight south of the triathlon venue here so I go out and ride the sprint and oly courses.  We have long group rides that have courses marked on the pavement for as much as 100 miles.  So the short answer is both are great, indoors and out.  It's all in what you make of them. 

2011-01-20 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3310748

User image

Expert
I am pretty lucky in that I live on the edge of Chicago civilization and am only 1 mile from country roads wher I don't have to worry about traffic.  So in my opinion I would rather ride outside than on a trainer.  The trainer may be a more efficient workout but being outside helps you deal with the unexpected such as winds, road surface conditions, concentration etc... that you would encounter during a race.  But I have never used a Computrainer so I have nothing to compare it to.  i sweat like a pig so the trainer is frustrating for me.  I have to set up fans, multiple towels - its a whole production -haha

2011-01-20 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3310889

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
IceManScott - 2011-01-20 9:51 AM

thanks. 

I think there has to be a mix.  Even before I had a computrainer, I loved the fluid trainer, but I have a power meter.  I can use the trainer to reproduce so many road situations, from climbs to VO2 max bursts of short duration.  I can also do high cadence drills, single pedal drills.  There is lots you can do with one.  Heart rate meters let you do much the same thing.  So for me, riding indoors during the week lets me get a great workout in and avoid the snow, ice, traffic etc.   On the weekend, I love riding outdoors.  I have routes that take me into hills along the rivers here.   I go out and ride the time trial course we race on every Tuesday.  I live 10 miles straight south of the triathlon venue here so I go out and ride the sprint and oly courses.  We have long group rides that have courses marked on the pavement for as much as 100 miles.  So the short answer is both are great, indoors and out.  It's all in what you make of them. 

So, does anyone know a good way to mimic elevation changes on a spin bike other than printing up elevation profiles and referring to them?

Edited by robburkett 2011-01-20 10:24 AM
2011-01-20 10:26 AM
in reply to: #3310629

User image

Expert
Keith - I was also looking at those bikes last year and after doing some research discovered they are basically Chinese copies of premium bikes.  I read alot of reviews that local bike shops don't really want to work on these because of that fact.  But there were just as many good reviews for people who liked them.  Not sure about the durability?  i buy equipment from china for work and I hate it- their weld quality is terrible and I never know what grade steel or Aluminum I am getting - but thats just my own opinionLaughing 

I was split on my decision and ended up buying my Trek used on Craigslist for $190.  I have probably put over $400 and will put another $200-300 this winter into it but for me that was better instead of coming up with (or convincing the wife) the $800-1000 for a decent bike.  You just have to keep your eyes peeled on Craigslist and Ebay everyday and you will find a good deal.

razorxp - 2011-01-20 8:28 AM Keith, Do you have a set budget? if so let us know and 24 eyes looking for a good deal is better than 2.  Also are you opposed to used bikes?  If not you can get a great bike for much cheaper.  What size are you? Have you ridden any of the bikes your looking at?

Good luck

That chili sounds great.

2011-01-20 10:36 AM
in reply to: #3310982

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
robburkett - 2011-01-20 10:21 AM
IceManScott - 2011-01-20 9:51 AM

thanks. 

So, does anyone know a good way to mimic elevation changes on a spin bike other than printing up elevation profiles and referring to them?

We call them SEs, strength exercises.  They are low rpms 50-60 at high power achieved by shifting to the big ring in front and the smaller cogs in back.  As always, start these easy and work up.  I think I used to do 5 mins on, recover 5 mins and repeat 3 times.  Then after a while, a couple of weeks maybe, add a couple of minutes per interval.  Then a couple more.  I'm doing 15 mins at a time, 3 repeats at the moment.  I was at 20 toward the peak of the training.  Can be brutal.  You are mimicking mountains after all.  By changing from one small cog to another, you can mimic changes in grade on the climb.  Just keep the revs between 50 and 60 and you'll do great. 

Oh, once a week for these should be enough.  One other session, try high cadence drills and single pedal drills and VO2 sets of 30 secs to 2 mins at very high exertion.   For a third session, a longer steadier exertion around 65% of all out, just a longer moderate ride.   Most training plans will include all that, I think. 

2011-01-20 10:44 AM
in reply to: #3310133

User image

Expert
Deb - I am still learning this stuff but this helped me get a good idea of what I needed.

1.  Find out your Resting Metabolic Rate (which is basically calories that you burn through out the day) http://www.shapeup.org/interactive/rmr1.php  - Keep in mind this is a basic number and is only an estimate.

2.  Add this number with your estimated or actual workout calories for the day and multiply by 15% to get your Daily Physical Activity calories burned

3.  Add these three numbers up to get a rough estimate of the required calories for the day.

(RMR + Workout Calories) X 1.15 = TOTAL CALORIES REQUIRED

So for example today I did a swim so mine looks like:

Resting Metabolic Rate = 1679
Swim Workout Calories Burned = 678
Daily Physical Activity = 353.55
TOTAL CALORIES REQUIRED FOR ME TODAY - 2711

Hope that makes sense.

cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-19 9:04 PM
I actually have no idea how many calories I need to refuel. I use an online calorie counter / estimator but that is aimed at me losing weight, not at training purposes. I think this may not be the best way to do it, but I feel like I don't do enough to warrant upping my calories. My current range is 1,200 - 1,550 but I frequently go over it and into the 1,800 range but then I panic and freak out about weight gain. 

Breakfast - steel cut oats/ banana/blueberries/strawberries and 1tbsp walnuts. - 400 cals 

Lunch - 13 bean turkey chilli & 1.5 cup spinach - 300 cals

Dinner - Chicken breast/ brown rice and spinach 450 cals

Extra's  15 Almonds - 100 cals
             Protein shake with skim milk - 240 cals.

Total (In theory) 1,490

problem is I frequently want, and have, more. I feel like this should be enough.

I have tried the eating many smaller meals a day and I was starving. As soon as I had eaten I was thinking about how long til I could eat again.

Any thoughts? suggestions? alterations?

2011-01-20 10:53 AM
in reply to: #3310660

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
gabrelsj - 2011-01-20 9:38 AM

Jason,  the trainer does do a great job giving you a workout but there are a few down falls

- Stabilizer muscles not used (unless on rollers)
- You don't learn bike control
- No practice in areo (real life riding in areo)
- Some struggle to push on trainers due to boredom
- I am like Tim, I sweat like a pig and have to cover everything on the bike to protect it.
- I like to ride with faster riders as it pushes me to keep up with them, Hate being the slow man.

Pros
- Safe (no traffic, dogs, lights,weather)
- Controlled environment (testing and getting in good rides)

And yes you can get the cardio in on a trainer for a HIM or full for that matter.  I just could not imagine doing 5hr rides on a trainer by myself.

Edited by razorxp 2011-01-20 10:56 AM
2011-01-20 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3311097

User image

Veteran
razorxp - 2011-01-20 10:53 AM

Jason,  the trainer does do a great job giving you a workout but there are a few down falls

- I am like Tim, I sweat like a pig and have to cover everything on the bike to protect it.
- I like to ride with faster riders as it pushes me to keep up with them, Hate being the slow man.

Pros

And yes you can get the cardio in on a trainer for a HIM or full for that matter.  I just could not imagine doing 5hr rides on a trainer by myself.

i can keep up with anyone when it comes to sweat... i think i will continue doing trainer work because honestly i dont feel comfortable riding alone on roads yet.  i have a buddy that is going to show me some routes that are somewhat safe.
2011-01-20 12:16 PM
in reply to: #3311293

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
gabrelsj - 2011-01-20 11:56 AM
razorxp - 2011-01-20 10:53 AM

Pros

i can keep up with anyone when it comes to sweat... i think i will continue doing trainer work because honestly i dont feel comfortable riding alone on roads yet.  i have a buddy that is going to show me some routes that are somewhat safe.

Absolutely to all the reasons for the road.  But don't venture out there alone.  You are right to have someone show you the ropes, the safe routes. The trainer is a great alternative for now.  Even when winter is past (will that ever be?) I plan to do my workday bike workouts on the trainer. I live a mile from the country, but with traffic, 10 mins out of town, then another 15 to a backroad to start a workout, then the same back in.  Adds a lot of time.

2011-01-20 12:48 PM
in reply to: #3310941

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
tmoran80 - 2011-01-20 10:07 AM I am pretty lucky in that I live on the edge of Chicago civilization and am only 1 mile from country roads wher I don't have to worry about traffic.  So in my opinion I would rather ride outside than on a trainer.  The trainer may be a more efficient workout but being outside helps you deal with the unexpected such as winds, road surface conditions, concentration etc... that you would encounter during a race.  But I have never used a Computrainer so I have nothing to compare it to.  i sweat like a pig so the trainer is frustrating for me.  I have to set up fans, multiple towels - its a whole production -haha

I'm 100% with you.  I have to have fans, towels, etc.  The trainer is so boring for me.  I would take outside any chance I can get.  I do have the luxury of living in a place where I can just jump on my bike and go riding for 2 hours in pretty much any direction I want to go.  But even when I didn't, I would opt for loading my bike up, driving to the riding trail over riding at home on the trainer.
2011-01-20 1:40 PM
in reply to: #3310629

User image

Veteran
Mass.
razorxp - 2011-01-20 9:28 AM Keith, Do you have a set budget? if so let us know and 24 eyes looking for a good deal is better than 2.  Also are you opposed to used bikes?  If not you can get a great bike for much cheaper.  What size are you? Have you ridden any of the bikes your looking at?

Good luck

That chili sounds great.

I'd get a used bike if I could find one.  I've never ridden a true road bike, so I don't even know what a 'good' used bike is.  I'm 5 feet 10 incehs, so according to the charts I need a 54cm.
2011-01-20 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3310524

User image

Veteran
Mass.
IceManScott - 2011-01-20 8:44 AM
kdevarenne - 2011-01-19 1:53 PM

This question is for the bike gurus.  I am looking at two bikes, but have no idea what the difference between the derailer brands and how good one shifter is compared to the other.  I am looking at two bikes, wich one would you get.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/mirage_pro_x.htm
or this one
http://www.roadbikeoutlet.com/tri-bikes/gavin-nouvo-triathlon-road-racing-bicycle-shimano-sora-carbon-fork.html

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

It depends on your budget.  Sora is entry level stuff.  I test rode a bike once and they shifted fine.  Problem I see is there is an awful lot of plastic in them.  Unsure about how long they will hold up under serious use.  If money is an issue, then by all means get the sora shifters.  Both of those bikes will do you as entry level.  In my experience, Shimano 105s or SRAM Rival are the best entry level components.  They hold up really well.  As you go up from there, Shimano Ultegra and Dura Ace have little performance difference.  Dura Ace is a little lighter (most won't notice) and they are shiner but certainly not worth the money.  I've read SRAM Force is not very different from Rival, which I have and love on my TT bike. Then the top is Red.  Many folks say there is a difference in performance between Rival and Red, which again is lighter.  I have a Mix of Rival and Red.  Love the Red brakes.  I will be adding Red compact cranks which I have in the box. 

So my advice is figure your budget.  Then buy the best components and frame THAT FITS.  You can always upgrade components later when you have extra cash.  

As far as brand names, I have Trek, Le Mond, Giant and Orbea.  Love them all.  Specialized, Cervelo, Felt, Blue...all make great bikes.  There are others too.  For road and TT entry level bikes Trek, Giant, Specialized and Cervelo are the bikes I see the most.   Ride lots of bikes before you buy.  Make sure the fit is right.  Love your bike.

I aprreciate the help.  There's just so much out there to chose from.  I'd rather be told 'here you go!'  than have to do all this research!
2011-01-20 2:17 PM
in reply to: #3311635

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
kdevarenne - 2011-01-20 1:46 PM
IceManScott - 2011-01-20 8:44 AM
kdevarenne - 2011-01-19 1:53 PM

This question is for the bike gurus.  I am looking at two bikes, but have no idea what the difference between the derailer brands and how good one shifter is compared to the other.  I am looking at two bikes, wich one would you get.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/mirage_pro_x.htm
or this one
http://www.roadbikeoutlet.com/tri-bikes/gavin-nouvo-triathlon-road-racing-bicycle-shimano-sora-carbon-fork.html

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

It depends on your budget.  Sora is entry level stuff.  I test rode a bike once and they shifted fine.  Problem I see is there is an awful lot of plastic in them.  Unsure about how long they will hold up under serious use.  If money is an issue, then by all means get the sora shifters.  Both of those bikes will do you as entry level.  In my experience, Shimano 105s or SRAM Rival are the best entry level components.  They hold up really well.  As you go up from there, Shimano Ultegra and Dura Ace have little performance difference.  Dura Ace is a little lighter (most won't notice) and they are shiner but certainly not worth the money.  I've read SRAM Force is not very different from Rival, which I have and love on my TT bike. Then the top is Red.  Many folks say there is a difference in performance between Rival and Red, which again is lighter.  I have a Mix of Rival and Red.  Love the Red brakes.  I will be adding Red compact cranks which I have in the box. 

So my advice is figure your budget.  Then buy the best components and frame THAT FITS.  You can always upgrade components later when you have extra cash.  

As far as brand names, I have Trek, Le Mond, Giant and Orbea.  Love them all.  Specialized, Cervelo, Felt, Blue...all make great bikes.  There are others too.  For road and TT entry level bikes Trek, Giant, Specialized and Cervelo are the bikes I see the most.   Ride lots of bikes before you buy.  Make sure the fit is right.  Love your bike.

I aprreciate the help.  There's just so much out there to chose from.  I'd rather be told 'here you go!'  than have to do all this research!

But learning is so much doggone fun and you get to ride so many bikes! No really, to make it simple, check with folks in your tri club.  They'll know friendly bike shops and have recommendations.

2011-01-20 2:41 PM
in reply to: #3311617

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
kdevarenne - 2011-01-20 2:40 PM
razorxp - 2011-01-20 9:28 AM Keith, Do you have a set budget? if so let us know and 24 eyes looking for a good deal is better than 2.  Also are you opposed to used bikes?  If not you can get a great bike for much cheaper.  What size are you? Have you ridden any of the bikes your looking at?

Good luck

That chili sounds great.

I'd get a used bike if I could find one.  I've never ridden a true road bike, so I don't even know what a 'good' used bike is.  I'm 5 feet 10 incehs, so according to the charts I need a 54cm.

I think its been said but fit is much more important than a  "good" bike.  I don't care how good a bike is, if your not comfortable on it you won't be fast and run well after the bike.

For me here is my bike story (shortened)

Bought a nice fuji (56cm frame) road bike on ebay that was NIB for about $400 mid level components
   - put at-least $200 into it and still was not comfortable at all riding for 3hrs (back killed & used all quads)
   - No fitting just bought without being sized

Upgraded to a Full carbon Kuota (size L)(no professional fit just a local bike shop that knew nothing about tris) dropped over  $2k on that bike.  Much more comfortable but still didn't feel right.
- still not real comfortable on long runs (especially in areo)

So finally went to a true tri shop and tested out all the bikes I could.  Was a toss up between 54cm or 56 ( I like to be compact so went smaller 5' 11" height) After testing brands, the Cervelo fit me best.  I produce more watts and much more comfortable on it for rides upto 6hrs.

Short of the story is you will save alot of money if you do it right the 1st time. :-)
so I would hit the shops and throw them on a trainer and just ride see what makes your back/neck/shoulder comfortable.

Hope this helps

2011-01-20 2:44 PM
in reply to: #3256300

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
2011-01-20 4:33 PM

User image

Veteran
how often do you need to "top off" the air in your tires.  i put 110 in each tire and the back tire after 4 or 5 days gets down to about 80 (only rodden on trainer) and after 1 month the fromt tire went to 90.  do i have leaks or is this normal?
2011-01-20 4:55 PM
in reply to: #3312045

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
gabrelsj - 2011-01-20 5:33 PM how often do you need to "top off" the air in your tires.  i put 110 in each tire and the back tire after 4 or 5 days gets down to about 80 (only rodden on trainer) and after 1 month the fromt tire went to 90.  do i have leaks or is this normal?

Keep asking the great questions. I am a rookie on this stuff just like you and I love all the info. I did go to a bike shop and found a great guy that walked me through the entire process and we had a great fit so I am comfortable right now.

Good Luck.

KC
2011-01-20 4:59 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Short work out today. My plan called for nothing but I have a hard time doing that -(nothiing that is LOL). I decided to get in the water for 30 minutes and do a few basics. I figure any minute spent in the water for a rookie like me is better then nothing. I took it easy because I really want to test myself in there tomorrow.

have a great night everyone.

KC

2011-01-20 7:28 PM
in reply to: #3312045

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
gabrelsj - 2011-01-20 5:33 PM how often do you need to "top off" the air in your tires.  i put 110 in each tire and the back tire after 4 or 5 days gets down to about 80 (only rodden on trainer) and after 1 month the fromt tire went to 90.  do i have leaks or is this normal?

Its pretty common to loose pressure over a week or so, hence why everyone carries a pump at the races. If its overnight I would worry.  I would probably change the rear before a big race just to be safe(save the other for a spare), but I'm overly anal.

2011-01-20 8:05 PM
in reply to: #3311775

User image

Veteran
Mass.
razorxp - 2011-01-20 3:44 PMHeck here is a nice bike your size on BT.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=239317&posts=9&start=1

I had seen that one, but it sold earlier today. . I will call my LBS and see what they can do for me. 600$ is about my limit. Thanks to everyone for your help!
2011-01-20 10:17 PM
in reply to: #3311068

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
tmoran80 - 2011-01-20 11:44 AM Deb - I am still learning this stuff but this helped me get a good idea of what I needed.

1.  Find out your Resting Metabolic Rate (which is basically calories that you burn through out the day) http://www.shapeup.org/interactive/rmr1.php  - Keep in mind this is a basic number and is only an estimate.

2.  Add this number with your estimated or actual workout calories for the day and multiply by 15% to get your Daily Physical Activity calories burned

3.  Add these three numbers up to get a rough estimate of the required calories for the day.

(RMR + Workout Calories) X 1.15 = TOTAL CALORIES REQUIRED

So for example today I did a swim so mine looks like:

Resting Metabolic Rate = 1679
Swim Workout Calories Burned = 678
Daily Physical Activity = 353.55
TOTAL CALORIES REQUIRED FOR ME TODAY - 2711

Hope that makes sense.

cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-19 9:04 PM
I actually have no idea how many calories I need to refuel. I use an online calorie counter / estimator but that is aimed at me losing weight, not at training purposes. I think this may not be the best way to do it, but I feel like I don't do enough to warrant upping my calories. My current range is 1,200 - 1,550 but I frequently go over it and into the 1,800 range but then I panic and freak out about weight gain. 

Breakfast - steel cut oats/ banana/blueberries/strawberries and 1tbsp walnuts. - 400 cals 

Lunch - 13 bean turkey chilli & 1.5 cup spinach - 300 cals

Dinner - Chicken breast/ brown rice and spinach 450 cals

Extra's  15 Almonds - 100 cals
             Protein shake with skim milk - 240 cals.

Total (In theory) 1,490

problem is I frequently want, and have, more. I feel like this should be enough.

I have tried the eating many smaller meals a day and I was starving. As soon as I had eaten I was thinking about how long til I could eat again.

Any thoughts? suggestions? alterations?

According to this my RMR is 1416 cals per day, today I burnt approx 450? so...

1416 + 450 = 1,866 X 1.15 =  2,145

Is that right? I can't possibly need 2,100+ cals a day??!

I'm not losing weight on 1,800. At that rate i'd have no chance. I have been stuck at 159 - 160 since the summer. It's driving me a little crazy. I keep thinking some of my longer runs would help me get through the plateau, but it's just not happening. Yell
2011-01-20 10:18 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Keith I will keep my eyes open......So we are a few weeks into everyones training. How are you feeling? Any questions in your plans? Too hard/easy
2011-01-20 10:21 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Deb that does seem high to loose weight. Heck im at 2200 cals. Have you looked into more smaller meals?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp Group Is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76