BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-06-09 8:42 AM
in reply to: #3435045

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Subject: RE: BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE!

MANDY and DENISE, congrats on your races this weekend ... a PR for Mandy and another 1st place for Denise!!  Enjoyed the race reports.  MANDY, the Cliff Mojo bars are also my favorite.  I saw you were thinking about chocoate covered pretzels for your special needs bag. How about peanut butter filled pretzels?  DENISE, have a good time in Iowa City this weekend.  My 35th high school reunion is this weekend.  Still debating on whether to go.

MICHAEL, yikes ... sorry to hear about your accident but glad it wasn't worse than it was. I guess you won't be doing your 2 mile OWS.

VERONICA, you are right on our date in Anchorage.  We get in on the evening of the 2nd (I think around 9pm) and leave the evening of the 3rd.  Any suggestions of how to spend the day in Anchorage or good places to eat would be appreciated!  Trying to figure out what clothing to take at this point and still would like to get a rain jacket for the trip.

STEVE, I should not have complained about the 100 degree temps because the next two days we got up to 105! I actually loved the summers here ... until I started running.  

Hope everyone else is having a good week! We are down to one computer at our house right now, so it's tough to get any computer time in (which is why I'd be catching up at work!).

LISA

2011-06-09 9:53 AM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Anybody got ideas on how to prevent sweat from getting into the eyes?

Not a real problem on the run because me hands are free and my visor absorbs a lot of it.  Different story on the bike when I go aero on those really hot days.  Drives me nuts.

2011-06-09 10:26 AM

User image

Concord

I must say, everyone's race reports are really encouraging.  Great job guys.  I realize the following story may not be a big deal to you OLY and HIMers, but humor me - at least you will understand. Smile

I ran this morning as part of my training.  You must understand that after running in high school, I concluded that I hate running (shin splints and other pain that I discussed earlier).  I firmly believe(d) that man should only run if he is being chased by a large African animal with whom he can neither reason nor bribe.  If so, he should only run so as to outrun the slowest person at which point he should hop on a bus, catch a cab, get on a bike, but stop running...

So, with that mind set, I went for my morning tri training run - 3.3 mi.  My normal pace is just under 10 min - with a tail wind...   I took a Hammer Gel with me so I could begin testing those out.  I used my gel at about mile 1.5 - not bad by the way.  Well, I came to the end of my run and I thought, I don't feel to bad, achilles felt good, shins felt good, I can keep going.  Next thing I knew, I had pushed out 5.2 miles at a 9:24 pace.  I even shocked myself.  Not saying I like running, but it's better that I've ever expected (God's blessing, right shoes, reasonable training, good nutrition)  who knows, I may even be able to pull out a 10k.  One Day.

Off to work now...

2011-06-09 10:44 AM
in reply to: #3540747

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
CTYoung - 2011-06-09 11:26 AM

I firmly believe(d) that man should only run if he is being chased by a large African animal with whom he can neither reason nor bribe.  If so, he should only run so as to outrun the slowest person at which point he should hop on a bus, catch a cab, get on a bike, but stop running...

HA! You know, I used to say that!! 

Next thing I knew, I had pushed out 5.2 miles at a 9:24 pace. 

THAT IS FREAKING AWESOME!!  I love Hammer products too BTW, I find them to be exceptionally good.  Except I use EFS for drinks because I prefer the taste and it has higher electrolyte counts. But way to go - at a 9:24 pace to boot!!

Geez, a 10k is only 1 more mile!!  

Mandy

2011-06-09 10:48 AM
in reply to: #3540667

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
junthank - 2011-06-09 10:53 AM

Anybody got ideas on how to prevent sweat from getting into the eyes?

Not a real problem on the run because me hands are free and my visor absorbs a lot of it.  Different story on the bike when I go aero on those really hot days.  Drives me nuts.

I have the same problem - it drives me bananas! I wear Buff under my helmet - but it is HOT too so it helps some with the sweat, but then my head isn't breathing (if you know what I mean?)  So that helps some, but almost at times exacerbates the problem.

Lets see what our Guru Steve has to say.

Mandy

2011-06-09 11:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Steve,

Have fun at Ottawa.

2011-06-09 11:47 AM
in reply to: #3540792

User image

Concord
manfarr1974 - 2011-06-10 8:44 AM
CTYoung - 2011-06-09 11:26 AM

Next thing I knew, I had pushed out 5.2 miles at a 9:24 pace. 

THAT IS FREAKING AWESOME!!  I love Hammer products too BTW, I find them to be exceptionally good.  Except I use EFS for drinks because I prefer the taste and it has higher electrolyte counts. But way to go - at a 9:24 pace to boot!!

Geez, a 10k is only 1 more mile!!  

Mandy

Thanks.  Yes, that occurred to me on my way to work.  An OLY may be closer in my future than I thought.  This year though, two Sprints will do just fine.  

I got a Gu and an Accelerade Gel to try also.  I'll try one of those on my ride, but so far, the Hammer is just fine.

Canon

Edited by CTYoung 2011-06-09 11:48 AM
2011-06-09 3:16 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City

Mandy and Denise - Great job on your races last weekend! You guys rocked it! Mandy, if you ever feel bad about your running speed just take a sec and look at my race reports. I seriously think I could go faster if I crawled on all fours!

We had race number tats at CapTex and I really liked them. A bit tricky to get off, but once I actually read the directions and applied vaseline and rubbed - off they came.

I third the love of Cliff Mojo bars. They are yummy salty/sweet without being too much of either and they don't sit heavy in your gut. I've tried Hammer gels - I prefer Gu. 

Jeff - This past issue of USAT's Triathlon magazine had an ad for a device that you place around your head - kind of like a head band, but made of plastic that essentially works like a gutter for the sweat coming off your head and forehead. It empties out behind your ears and onto your shoulders/back/road. I wish my housekeeper hadn't thrown my magazine away or I would give you the name....I might consider purchasing one as I sweat into my eyes while on the bike also. Perhaps someone else here is a member of USAT and has the issue?

Steve - Have fun at Ottawa!

Hope everyone is having a fabulous week! Anyone racing this weekend? I am trying to decide if I want to do a local sprint on Saturday...

Edited by kickitinok 2011-06-09 3:23 PM
2011-06-09 4:58 PM
in reply to: #3540272

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Steve,

Who said this was going to be an easy?

For you my guess is being out on that "pointy edge (i.e.. you really fast guys)" there must be a really fine line between having that perfect race and pushing it too hard.  Probably not too much margin for error.

stevebradley - 2011-06-09 8:03 AM JEFF - .....while still being aware of how capricious they can be. Not really a fool-proof system, is it?

2011-06-09 5:37 PM
in reply to: #3537577

winnipeg, MB

Yeah, you are right, that should be my approach too.

LadyNorth - 2011-06-07 3:37 PM

Sandra,

I'm slow.  Everytime I worry about being slow or try to go to fast I get in trouble - like not sighting and going off course.  Now I just start in the back and concentrate on slow and steady.  Sometimes now in a sprint, when I'm feeling totally comfortable, I will pick it up a bit and I've had better times.  But only after I've started slow and steady.

Denise

2011-06-09 5:55 PM
in reply to: #3538312

winnipeg, MB

Hey! Make a quick trip to Ottawa between now and then! I have a couple of great OWS spots I can take you to!

Ohhh, wouldn't that be nice! Thanks

Yesterday I swam 1km in 31:52 I know it is slow but what I don't know is how slow I am.

I tried to google human average swim speed, but of course there are so many variables that it is very difficult to come up with a meaningful number.

While I'm writing this, I just looked at a race results from last year (the same that I'm going do) and in my age group the fastest was 17:01 and the slowest 27:27 that's 10 minutes difference. According to those results the average was around 22 minutes. I guess at 24 minutes for a 750 m is not that bad considering that it will be my first open water. Thinking out loud I just answered my own question: I'm slower than the average, which I already knew

2011-06-09 9:23 PM

User image

Regular
Crystal Coast

Hi all,

Been a bit busy lately and just trying to catch up on all the posts.....Michael truely sorry to hear about your crash.  Not much to say other than I will keep you in my prayers. 

On the Gel discussion I am a fan of GU chomps specifically blueberry and watermelon.  The downside is they tend to stick together when it gets warm and not as compact as gels. 

Steve, thanks for the tip on the calf compression.  Prior to buying the compression guards I have been using the wrap for my shin splint on my calf and it seems to help.  I look a bit dorky but it isnt any worse than me in bike shorts.  Now I guess I will actually splurge on the compression guards.

Mandy, lots of interesting insights. I have to admit though I think I will take a dismount and a run over to the bushes rather than staying on the bike.  That is one advantage of being the back of the pack type guy.  Passing on gossip.... I have also heard of baked red potatoes in your goody bag for an IM.  Never ran one but just passing on locker room gossip.  Not sure baked potatoes sound all that appealing but I thought I would throw it out there.  Of course I guess Pringles is sorta a form of a baked potatoe after all.  

JK

2011-06-09 9:39 PM
in reply to: #3541652

User image

Champion

SANDRA -

At 31:52 for a km, you will NOT be the slowest, I am sure! I could point you to the results for many races with 1000m swims, and I think any number of people do it in ~35.

For the results you looked at that ranged from 17' to 27', what was the distance of the swim? If it's 1000m, I'd expect a couple a bit lower, and as I just said, a bundle quite higher. You also mention 750, which I'm guessing is the distance for your race. Yes?

Remember, too, that measuring a swim course is still a very inexact enterprise. So what is listed as 1500m in results, say, could have actually been 1326m.....or 1242m......or 1687m.....or..........

The last half-iron I did was last August, and for that the course had to have been undermeasured by a couple huindred meters. My time was 34', I think, and that just isn't in my wheelhouse for 2km. I'm happy if I'm at 38', and maybe on my greatest swim day ever I could do 2km in 37'.....but mostly for that distance I'm hoivering at 40'-42'. So 34'???? I don't think so!

My guess, anyhow, is that course was soemwhere in the neighborhood of 1700-1800m; let's call it 1763, shall we?

ANYHOW, great work on knocking off a full km. Woo-hoo!!!

2011-06-09 9:47 PM
in reply to: #3541877

User image

Champion

JK -

YES!!!!!!

I have done both my irons and several half-irons with a baggy of pre-boiled and salted baby potatoes. For the IMs they were in the special needs bag on the bike, for all the HIMs it was either a couple in my Bento Box on the bike, or a few in a baggy waiting for me in T2. This works best, of course, at close-to-home races where they don't have to be prepared a day or three before the race.....which can lead to some unappetizing spuds. And the key is having a nice amount of salt at the bottom of the baggy, which is great to use to "chase" yet another in a series of sicky-sweet gels. Yup, straight salt on a long race on a hot day ---- priceless!

As for Blocks and Beans and Gummy Bears, they work great for people who can't stomach gels. For me it's the opposite, though, as I can do gels with impunity (up to a point....), but just find the candyish products too, uh, sicky-sweet. But really, many people who were hung out to dry due to disliking gels were given a gift when the solid carb-products were invented, maybe about '05 or '06.

2011-06-09 9:58 PM
in reply to: #3541902

User image

Champion

MANDY -

You have mastered the fine art of the Passive Velo-Pee,a nd now you have to refine it to also become accomplished at the Active Velo-Pee. I have neither skill in my tool (as it were....) box, although for years I have been a flagrant pee-er in my wetsuit. But as a virtual non-kicker on the swim, it becomes that much easier -- less multi-tasking, I guess!

Anyhow, that is just to say that I can understand why you couldn't do it while pedaling. Perhaps it would be eaiser if you were pedaling out-of-the-saddle. No! Wait! It's males who pee while standing! Heck, maybe it should be ME who needs to try in while out-of-the-saddle!

At IMLP, I tried to pee while riding, and ended up ducking into the bushes on a scenic turnoff somewhere beyond Keane. That was heartening, sort of like deciding to use a restroom between periods of a hockey game --- that is, lots of others with the same idea. I guess that's a testimony to how many of us can do neither the Active nor the Passive version of the Velo-Pee.

And no women there....which can only be taken to mean that this whole process is easier for woman than for men. Maybe? Jeez, there just might be a master's thesis in this topic in some field of what --- sports kinesiology?

ENOUGH OF THIS SILLINESS!!!!!

2011-06-09 10:33 PM
in reply to: #3541652

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Sandra,

One of the most valuable lessons I have been taught is "there will always be somebody faster, we can't win that game.  If you remain consistent and positive you will improve relative to yourself - there’s value in seeing the return from our own efforts. So it’s best to evaluate how you do relative to yourself”.

I'm a competitive guy so that comment help me a out a lot.  Now I don't worry about how fast I'm going relative to other people.  I focus on looking at my improvements over time.

sanl - 2011-06-09 6:55 PM

Hey! Make a quick trip to Ottawa between now and then! I have a couple of great OWS spots I can take you to!

Yesterday I swam 1km in 31:52 I know it is slow but what I don't know is how slow I am.

Thinking out loud I just answered my own question: I'm slower than the average, which I already knew

2011-06-09 10:33 PM
in reply to: #3540291

User image

Champion

MANDY again -

It's very important that you get in some protein, and if you want I will give a shot at explaining it. I think it is important at even the half-iron distance -- not critical, maybe, but important.

Ultragen will be good, and even at 20g that's enough to experience spoilage. The only way you can be safe is if (a) it's early-morning- of-race-day drop-off of the spec needs bags, and (b) the midday high will be under 70....and eeven then I probably wouldn't risk it. It goes under the category of "don't pass on spending 20 seconds doing something if it will prevent you losing 20 minutes later", which could come from either bonking at some point due to lost nutrition or spending lotsa minutes vomiting unceremoniously along the roadside. Maybe both!

At your LP ride, maybe play "Special Needs". To do this, you need a mock special needs bag and some goodies in it. The actual S.N. spot is next to Mirror Lake, and a safe place to hide your moick bag would be about a mile before it, which would be on the road that goes past Northwoods School. I can't rememebr the name of either of these but, after you do the looooong climb up from Wilmington and you pass the three bears, you do a 90-degree right turn. This road goes for about 1.5 miles, then ends at the road whre you turn 90-degrees left and go past Mirror Lake and straight towards the high school and transition zone. (Is it called Mirror Lake Road, perhaps? Could it be that simple??).

SOOOOO....if you hide a bag in the shrubbery near Northwoods School, no one will discover it and you can stop there and be less than a mile where the actual special needs station will be (if it's the same as '04, that is). I will try to view a course map so I can refer to these roads by name!

Hadn't heard about IMMT; really? Gorgeous area, but it will be a tad hiilyacious1 As for IMNY, I had seen the notice but hadn't viewed it yet. I shudder to think how they will logistically handle that. I have done NY tri twice and love it, but it really pushes the envelope on being workable for the athletes. The walk to the swim is a full mile, and I can't see how they can accomodate more. If they time it right, though, it will be gloriously fast.....but how will they fit in 2.4 mils. I guess I ought to go and view the proposed course maps for that.

As for the cost, well, if people want to shell out those beans for it, I guess it's their call. But IM has those wicked refund policies, and it hurts to lose the better part of the $575 most of the races go for nowadays. Imagine paying a grand, and then getting injured, and receiving back only $150 or so. Mercy! Adding on hotel costs and meals and whatever else, and that's a huge amount of money for 140.6. Yowzers!

2011-06-09 10:39 PM
in reply to: #3541937

User image

Champion

JEFF -

Two things:

First, that's a great quote you posted to Sandra; thanks for that!

Second, I never had a sweat-in-eyes problem until I got my aero helmet last year. I then went out and bought a Skin Cooler Beanie from DeSoto, and that works mostly okay. I don't especially like having it there adding to heat, but it does help with the sweat. As for the run, i always wear a hat and that absorbs a lot of sweat, at least enough to keep most of it from my eyes for most of a race.

2011-06-09 11:04 PM

User image

Champion

CANON -

I agree with Mandy -- you're almost there after that 5.2er! And that's a whoppin' improvement on your regular pace, which makes it doubly-sweet. Are you all gushingly giddy now?

I have used Hammer stuff for year -- not exclusively, but more than the others combined. They have come a long way with flavor issues, removing a lot of the odd taste that their maltodextrins used to impart. I'm not sure WHAT they habve done, as they maltodextrin level has stayd the same (I think), but thier gels have just become more palatable. I still have trouble with the raspeberry and orange flavors, but espresso is good and tropical is great! But this is all very personalized, so what migyt be yummilicious to me will be gaggilicious to you.

In general, I like looser gels, which makes me partial to Carb-Boom! and AccelGel and PowerGel. I then see Hammer as just a tad thicker than those ones, with Gu and Clif Shot thicker still. But as I wrote to Denise, Gu Roctane is worth the thickness for longer events, given it's more comprehensive profile of "stuff".

The gels are designed for carbohydrate content, with a nod also to electrolytes. BUT.....Hammer has fewer electrolytes than most of the others, and AccelGel, scrimps some on carbs in order to satisfy its mandate of a 4:1 carb:protein ratio. So whereas you will get about 25g of carbs in most gels, in AccleGel it is about 16-20g, depending on flavor.

Getting back to viscosity, Mandy mentioned EFS as her preferred drink, and hey also make a gel called "Liquid Shot". It is, in fact, not technically a gel, ads it has no gelling agents. This is good for me, as it is real loose! Until the off-season they had only vanilla, but it's a very good-tasting vanilla. They have now added a berry flavor, too.

Just so you know!

Again --- great run! Keep it up, and pretty soon you'll be able to outrun some cheetah! (Okay, maybe a hyena...... )

2011-06-10 7:23 AM
in reply to: #3541938

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine

Hey Steve-

Tell me about protein.  I haven't been using that and it sounds like I need to be!  I will do that on my Lake Placid ride - do the 2 bottle thing.  I planned on a mock special needs bag.  I am not worried about a few seconds for sure.

OH the potatoes!! I forgot about those puppies!  I need to add that to the list.  I am going to have a freaking picnic at special needs!

IMMT looks fabulous, I will be at that one to volunteer at least. The course profile is up, it is wicked hilly, not IMSG hilly, but still, hilly.  

IMNYC looks like a nightmare.  

Off to work. Have a 40 min swim and a short run today.

Mandy

2011-06-10 7:36 AM
in reply to: #3541877

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine

Hey Joe-

Ah, yes, the pee thing.  I am jealous of you boys on long distance events is all I have to say.

If it were as easy for me to pee as stopping, dismounting, taking a few steps to the side, turning my back, and going, it would be a different story.  

I have to stop. Dismount. Leave my bike and either 1)wait in a porta potty line (there is ALWAYS a line) OR 2) run a distance into the woods and find a place squat so no one sees my butt - either way, I have to peel off my stupid tri shorts all the way and then back on (which isn't easy when you are sweaty) Plus by the time I get back I am stiff from being off the bike and stuff.  It is a pain in the tookis to do this, trust me.  (BTW, I don't do this in training, only races.  And have done this in 2 races so far in my "career", both HIM

What is a 30 second deal for guys is easily a 2+ minute deal for girls.  If I was a guy, I would totally pull over.  

Anyway, that is why I choose to just pee myself  

You know, just to clarify, I am house trained and everything.

2011-06-10 7:43 AM
in reply to: #3541942

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Steve,

And if that doesn't do it and you still have a need to be fast relative to others..... then just hang around slower people.  That should do the trick 

Works for other things in life as well (wealth, beauty, etc...)

stevebradley - 2011-06-09 11:39 PM JEFF - Two things: First, that's a great quote you posted to Sandra; thanks for that! 

Edited by junthank 2011-06-10 9:57 AM
2011-06-10 7:44 AM
in reply to: #3541937

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
junthank - 2011-06-09 11:33 PM

One of the most valuable lessons I have been taught is "there will always be somebody faster, we can't win that game.  If you remain consistent and positive you will improve relative to yourself - there’s value in seeing the return from our own efforts. So it’s best to evaluate how you do relative to yourself”.E] 

Jeff - love this.  Thanks for posting.

2011-06-10 8:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
CTYoung - 2011-06-09 10:26 AM

You must understand that after running in high school, I concluded that I hate running (shin splints and other pain that I discussed earlier).  I firmly believe(d) that man should only run if he is being chased by a large African animal with whom he can neither reason nor bribe.  If so, he should only run so as to outrun the slowest person at which point he should hop on a bus, catch a cab, get on a bike, but stop running...

Canon, those were/are my sentiments exactly ... except I never even ran in high school!!  Great job on your run this morning.  You might find you actually "enjoy" the 10K distance.  For me, the first 3 miles are usually the toughest.  Have a great weekend!

LISA

2011-06-10 7:51 PM

User image

Concord

A quote on the speed / fast vs slow thing.  

"Winners compare their achievements with their goals, while losers compare their achievements with those of other people " Nido Qubeia (not sure of the source - but that's what a Google search came up with)

On an unrelated matter, I'm afraid I may have inadvertently started my taper too early.  I was doing six workouts a week, two in each sport.  This week I've been real busy with work and barely got in one in each.  What is a true taper? What can I do to get back on track? My event is June 26.  I hope to have a normal work out week next week. I was going to taper the week of June 19, but I'm not really sure of what that should look like.  I'd appreciate any thoughts you guys have.

Canon

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  

of 57