General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2012-11-12 5:56 PM
in reply to: #4306637

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group
16.25mi on the bike, 900m in the pool, and strength training today! I feel great today and it is fantastic to be back in the saddle after being sick most of last week and weekend.

2012-11-13 3:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Okay,  been a while since I posted so here goes...suffer from plantar fasciitis and shin splints which both still flare up at times.   The last time I raced was July 2011 and even that was just a sprint swim as part of a relay.  I am ready to get back to training and racing...well more like just completing...but regardless, now is the time for me to register for the race (CGI NJ State Tri).

I was planning to do the sprint distance all by myself this year  - no relay for me. I love swimming and enjoy biking.  I seriously struggle with the run and usually end up more walking/shuffling and taking close to an hour to do the 5K.  Makes for a long, hot race and normally puts me out on the course all alone and at the very back of the pack.  But, it is a distance race that I have done before and know that I could do it again.  My plan for this year was to treat it like it was my first race again and just enjoy it but not sure I can really do that.  Having done it before I probably will end up still comparing it to the first 2 times I did the race.

I learned today that CGI is offering a Aqua Velo for the Olympic Distance race and I am intrigued. I did a sprint Aqua Velo a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it,especially the not having to run part.  

Here's my dilemma.   I know that I can finish a sprint distance triathlon with the proper training. While I have never competed at the Olympic distance, when I was seriously training I was able to swim 1500m+  do it at a decent pace.  I am pretty sure that time on the bike (on the trainer in the winter and outside once the weather gets nice) will get me to the 26 miles I need for the bike distance.  I guess the distance seems so far compared to the sprint distances which is what makes me hesitate.  Do I go with what I know and pretend it is my first race again or do I challenge myself with a new distance and a completely different race?   On the upside, if I don't have to focus on the run training, I could spend more time in the pool and on the bike and won't aggravate the shins and heels all that much.

What do I do?????  Any words of wisdom or advice?  Anyone know if the custom plans on here would allow me to do a aquavelo training plan?  If not,  any suggestions where I could look?

2012-11-14 4:18 AM

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
Had the BEST thing tonight. My 4 year old daughter did a aquathon with the local try club, and she did the whole thing! 400 m run, followed by a 25 m swim (with mums assistance, she can not swim that far without help yet), followed by another 400 m run. Race number, transition, the whole 9 yards. And she loved it. Youngest by far, had a blast. Then they got her to hang around and hand out water to the adults. All she has said all night now is "can i do it again". such a great moment.
2012-11-14 6:58 AM
in reply to: #4496961

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

Albury, that's awesome.  I've said it a million times, but I can't wait til my little guy is old enough to understand all this stuff and do that.

Fecht, I don't really see anything wrong with doing the same race again. Your old times may linger in the back of your head but if it's a distance you're comfortable with and you have a better idea of how your body will react to the training then I see nothing wrong with it?  I'm also looking to move up to an Oly next year but I'm also looking forward to doing the sprint I did this year beacuse of the familiarity.  Also, who is to say that you can't start training for one and then decide to do the other?  Sure the training plans will be a little altered but if you think you can do the distances already then it's really just building up your stamina.

2012-11-14 7:31 AM
in reply to: #4497594

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Congrats to your daughter!  I love watching my kids do triathlons!
2012-11-14 7:33 AM
in reply to: #4497649

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Jon,  thanks.  Good point about doing the familiar.  Issue I have is this is a race that sells out early so have to commit now.  I am pretty sure that I can switch from the Oly AB to Full Sprint but won't be able to go the other way.  Maybe that is the best advice - register and plan for the Oly AB and then switch to the sprint tri if I don't think I will be able to make the distances.

Thanks everyone!

2012-11-14 10:12 AM

User image

Calgary, AB

Took about a week off -- my training plan called for a down week anyway, and I decided to rest completely as I had lingering pain in my leg and didn't want to risk further injury.  (I've gotten spooked by some of the BT stories around overtraining)   Ran this morning for the first time (30 min) and no problems -- very glad I let it fully heal.   I'm not doing a tri again until spring, so I had the luxury of being able to flex the plan a bit.

Strange feeling -- I actually missed running.  (???)

Best news -- the time off didn't take a toll on my weight -- in fact it kept dropping!  Now down 20 pounds since the start of tri training (about a pound a week)

2012-11-14 12:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Hoos, it is weird to miss it, isn't it?  BTW, the elevated BMR you have started to build will remain for several weeks.  That's part of the "periodization" concept.  The muscles you stressed took advantage of the extra recovery time, and of course muscle burns more calories than fat.  (I've got PLENTY of book knowledge.  I've just never applied it until this year.)
2012-11-14 2:04 PM
in reply to: #4498202

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

My trainer is delivered and waiting for me at my house.  I'll be at the office late, probably until 7 or 8, so I won't get to try it out unitl after.  My Cadense/speed sensor also arrived, so once I get the ANT+ stick, which should be today or tomorrow, I'll be ready to get on trainer road and start torching the bike.  I'm psyched about doing all this.  I can't wait to ride whenever I want.  I have no qualms with my bike time so far but I can't wait to put some actual training time into it and see how I come out for next season.

2012-11-14 3:03 PM
in reply to: #4498202

User image

Calgary, AB

leatherneckpa - 2012-11-14 11:55 AM Hoos, it is weird to miss it, isn't it?  BTW, the elevated BMR you have started to build will remain for several weeks.  That's part of the "periodization" concept.  The muscles you stressed took advantage of the extra recovery time, and of course muscle burns more calories than fat.  (I've got PLENTY of book knowledge.  I've just never applied it until this year.)

Most times before, when I've lost weight, it's been primarily through changing diet.  This time isn't the same -- if anything, my eating has gone noticeably up.   This is a lot more fun.  Laughing

2012-11-15 7:58 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Trainer arrived yesterday so I set it up last night and did a quick spin just to make sure it was working correctly.  Tonight the Cadence/speed sensor arrived and I hoped the ANT+ stick would too so I could sign up for trainerroad and start that up, but I'll have to wait another day.  I did do about 30 minutes on the trainer and it was some good stuff.  I had it on the lowest level of resistance and I was feeling it after 30 minutes.  Seems that I'll also have to invest in a good fan.  It came with a sweat catcher, front block and water bottle, so at least that's 2 less things I'll need to go out and buy.  Can't wait to get trainerroad started up so I have some stats to compile for the winter.

2012-11-16 8:51 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Did ~27mi on the bike today. Spent the afternoon with the wife at the LBS looking for new wheels! I used to just think I was in over my head...now I KNOW I'm in over my head.
2012-11-17 9:05 AM
in reply to: #4501531

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

drfoodlove - 2012-11-16 9:51 PM Did ~27mi on the bike today. Spent the afternoon with the wife at the LBS looking for new wheels! I used to just think I was in over my head...now I KNOW I'm in over my head.

All the available choices make your head spin, don't they?  My fitter (and most of what I've read) has convinced me not to go with a tri bike.  I'm leaning heavily toward a road bike (Cannondale Synapse 5 or Trek Domane 2.3), but have lingering thoughts of getting a more multi-purpose bike (Cannondale Quick 5 or a Trek FX 7.2).  Every now and then I try to convince myself that getting both is a realistic investment, since my goal for next riding season is to relegate my motorized vehicles to "rainy day only" use.  See, most anywhere I would want to to go is between 6 and 12 miles from home.  A rear rack and some folding baskets on the sides seem like an easy way to carry anything I would buy back home.  I think that would be a neat way to build on my fitness.

2012-11-17 11:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights
leatherneckpa - 2012-11-17 7:05 AM

All the available choices make your head spin, don't they?  My fitter (and most of what I've read) has convinced me not to go with a tri bike.  I'm leaning heavily toward a road bike (Cannondale Synapse 5 or Trek Domane 2.3), but have lingering thoughts of getting a more multi-purpose bike (Cannondale Quick 5 or a Trek FX 7.2).  Every now and then I try to convince myself that getting both is a realistic investment, since my goal for next riding season is to relegate my motorized vehicles to "rainy day only" use.  See, most anywhere I would want to to go is between 6 and 12 miles from home.  A rear rack and some folding baskets on the sides seem like an easy way to carry anything I would buy back home.  I think that would be a neat way to build on my fitness.

^^^ for what you're describing, I'd say the Trek FX line is perfect. I'd highly recommend putting in the extra couple hundred for the 7.3 though...big component improvement for not a lot of money. I have one for my family cruiser bike (pulling the little ones in the trailer and around the neighborhood stuff), and love it. Compliments my 2.1 roadie well.

Finally got cleared by the doc yesterday to get back in the game. I had a soleus tear back in Sept that sidelined me for a LONG time. Cold, rainy trail run this morning...only 3.5 miles but it felt GREAT to be back out there! Most importantly, never felt a twinge of pain from the calf. Lungs...that's a different story! They definitely feel the effects of the layoff.

I'm back!!! Have a great weekend everyone.

Edited by Stillmanji 2012-11-17 11:25 AM
2012-11-18 12:57 AM

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia

First run for a while today. Bought some new shoes and thought I would take them for a run. Up in the hills behind my house, so crazy elevations, lots of walking but better than nothing. Beautiful views too. 

Have a great weekend all

2012-11-18 11:23 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nice flat run this morning. I live in IL, flat is what we got. I lost count of the trail laps, but it was probably about four miles. Off to the computer now to do more bike research...sigh. This decision would be a heck of a lot easier if I had more money and knowledge.

2012-11-19 9:35 AM
in reply to: #4497941

User image

Calgary, AB

48 min run on the treadmill last night -- and probably could have done more.   60 minutes is tantalizingly close!   (nice run kid... don't get cocky!)     My feet, however, are getting more sore as the runs get longer -- I may be exceeding the technical limits of my el cheapo shoes.   How long till Christmas again?

Also did a swim last Thursday (mainly short sprints) -- it's interesting, I seem to be getting the hang of a more powerful pull -- just need to sustain it over longer distances.   I've never had great upper body strength.

Had plans for additional workouts, but had to prep for a toddler birthday party -- where do I log dollhouse construction in the training log?

2012-11-19 10:26 AM

Hoos, I'm jealous of 48 minutes. I've been putting off running because of my back...until today. After spending the last couple months in the pool doing deep water running, I decided to hit the pavement (well, the treadmill). I downloaded the C25K app on my phone and got started... Well, deep water running is a good workout, but it doesn't quite use all of the same muscles as actually running. Made it through the first workout, but my legs are a lot more sore than I was expecting. Back is a bit sore as well, but most of that's from chasing a 2 y/o around all weekend.

I am starting the 0to1650 swim program as well this week. Anybody have any tricks to keep from getting bored in the pool? I just get sooo bored staring at that black line.
2012-11-19 10:43 AM
in reply to: #4503376

User image

Calgary, AB

DBGlobal - 2012-11-19 9:26 AM I am starting the 0to1650 swim program as well this week. Anybody have any tricks to keep from getting bored in the pool? I just get sooo bored staring at that black line.

I do math in my head.  But then, I'm a nerd.   It works though... how many laps have I done, how many laps do I have to go, how does that translate to meters, what's my current pace, how quickly could I walk the same distance, gee that other person is going a little bit faster I wonder what pace they're doing, hey I wonder how far that drain is from the end of the lane,  how many more laps could I do at this pace before the pool closes, etc.   If you keep the mind racing on little stuff like that, the time goes quickly.

The other (more standard) tip is to break up the swim into smaller chunks -- 100m sets, 200m sets, etc. -- so that you're not trying to do 40+ lengths in one shot.

2012-11-19 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4503413

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

I sing to myself in my head.  Unfortunately I learn how badly I mess up the lyrics or just flat out only know the chorus.  I am planning to start the zero to 1650 next week and have added a waterproof iPod shuffle to my wish list for Christmas hoping that I can stop singing to myself. Embarassed  Sometimes I also count my strokes or my breaths.  I find that I breath after one stroke, then breath again after 3 strokes.  Yes,  weird, I know but seems to work for me.

Hoos - 2012-11-19 11:43 AM

DBGlobal - 2012-11-19 9:26 AM I am starting the 0to1650 swim program as well this week. Anybody have any tricks to keep from getting bored in the pool? I just get sooo bored staring at that black line.

I do math in my head.  But then, I'm a nerd.   It works though... how many laps have I done, how many laps do I have to go, how does that translate to meters, what's my current pace, how quickly could I walk the same distance, gee that other person is going a little bit faster I wonder what pace they're doing, hey I wonder how far that drain is from the end of the lane,  how many more laps could I do at this pace before the pool closes, etc.   If you keep the mind racing on little stuff like that, the time goes quickly.

The other (more standard) tip is to break up the swim into smaller chunks -- 100m sets, 200m sets, etc. -- so that you're not trying to do 40+ lengths in one shot.

2012-11-19 12:09 PM
in reply to: #4503283

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Hoos - 2012-11-19 10:35 AM     Had plans for additional workouts, but had to prep for a toddler birthday party -- where do I log dollhouse construction in the training log?

If you scroll down on the training log page to where you are supposed to enter sports and click on the button to "Add a Sport".  Then scroll down their list.  You will find "Home Improvement", "Meditation", "Miscellaneous", and "Stretching".  Take your pick.  Or you can even create a "Custom Sport" with the button below that.  Assembling tricycles, bicycles, and swing sets are better workouts though.Wink

PS - I didn't see one for "Cussing".

2012-11-19 3:32 PM

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
If cussing was a work out, I would not be a clyde!
2012-11-19 4:26 PM
in reply to: #4503984

User image

Calgary, AB

alburyscott - 2012-11-19 2:32 PM If cussing was a work out, I would not be a clyde!

When I starting running back in May, I tracked my progress with the critical metric of "distance run before uttering the first curse word."  

2012-11-20 4:10 AM

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia

Had a quick, interrupted swim today (I had the mini me with me). Then after dinner, saw my pretty new shoes, so out for a quick 30 min run. Feeling much better, feet less sore, no knee pain and actually enjoying the run (a bit). I live close to the bush (a forest for my American friends), with a lot of single track, so its pretty easy on the eyes too.

I have been doing some pose running drills as well (my cousin is an instructor), and I would have to say, even though I was/still am sceptical, it seams to be doing the job. I certainly feel better on the run, and have a lot less foot and shin pain.

Have a great week everyone

2012-11-20 1:57 PM

Major milestone this weekend - I flew to Tucson AZ and rode the 111-mile distance of El Tour de Tucson.  Actually finished (like I'd be bragging about it if I didn't, right?).  This was my first century ride, and I felt like I knocked it out of the park.  My goal was to finish in under 9 hours, and I came in under 8.

Now here's the funny part.  About mile 90 my brain realized that I had this thing licked, and the endorphins kicked in like crazy.  Mile 90 to the finish was uphill, and I was passing everybody in sight - sometimes by a 5 mph differential.  On top of that, I ride the big fat mountain bike hybrid I bought to hold my old 400-lb self.  There is no feeling quite like hearing grown men cry when a fat dude on a beefy bike blows past on an uphill climb.

Now that a century ride is out of the way, my next goal is an Oly-distance tri in 2013 - to finish and finish it happy.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Rss Feed  

of 45