BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-06-18 7:06 AM
in reply to: Hubbie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED
Beth, glad the boy is almost back to normal and that you are back at it. Good News

2013-06-18 7:23 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Veteran
Louisville
So I've decided to focus on my marathon coming up in the fall and keep the swimming and biking to my cross training days or just whenever I want. I need to take some of the stress and pressure off of myself and let training be fun again instead of another priority and something I HAVE to do. I likely won't race much if at all this summer and I think that will allow me to enjoy myself a bit more and exercise will be the stress reliever it used to be instead of stress inducing.
2013-06-18 7:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Louisville
Originally posted by Hubbie

And I'm back!!!!!!! So here is what I've been up to. While at work Thursday night I got a call from my sitter saying that my boy was screaming and was inconsolable. This is very abnormal for him so I grabbed my partner and headed over. When I got there I could hear him before I could see him. he was holding his ear saying it hurt and that he couldn't hear. Just the look he gave me said that his condition needed immediate attention. So I loaded him in my ambulance making my son now my patient. He was diagnosed with server swimmers ear in both ears. After two shots of high dose antibiotics and sedation he was sent home with three medications. The next three days where recovery but I'm happy to say he's finally on the mend. Yesterday I got some help with caring for him so I could get a bike ride in.

I spent all of my last winter on the bike trainer focusing on strength and power output. I tackled a hill that last least I really fought with but yesterday I didn't seem so bad. So happy so see my winters work paying off. Today I did a 20 minute open water swim followed by a run. While on my run I noticed one of my friends there too so we finished the circuit together. We must have made a laughable sight. Martin was easily spinning on his bike while I was on foot huffing and puffing to keep up. But I still laid down some decent times.

Okay so now to everyone else. Regarding the DNF, I think it takes a lot of courage to realize that you are not fully ready mentally out physically. I did a race last year that went bad bad bad. I pushed through it and to this day I wish I had the courage to ask for a DNF.

In regards to the silver bike: Congratulations!!!!! Is it a male or female? What is the bike's name? I'm sure you two will have many enjoyable miles together.

Beth

Glad he's doing better and that all those winter hours on the trainer are paying off! My sister and I have done the ride/run duo before and it's probably funny but fun anyway
2013-06-18 8:09 AM
in reply to: Rnay225

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Rnay225

So I've decided to focus on my marathon coming up in the fall and keep the swimming and biking to my cross training days or just whenever I want. I need to take some of the stress and pressure off of myself and let training be fun again instead of another priority and something I HAVE to do. I likely won't race much if at all this summer and I think that will allow me to enjoy myself a bit more and exercise will be the stress reliever it used to be instead of stress inducing.

Rennay, that sounds like one heck of a plan for you both physcially and mentally. Let me suggest that you find yourself a good marathon training plan if you have not already. I do not say this to make it feel like Work or something you Have to do, but a set plan will help take away the stress of deciding what you need to do. A training plan will also allow for much easier planning on your part to ensure you get that run in for training and stress relief purposes. Have you run a marathon before, and which one are you scheduled to do?
2013-06-18 7:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Rennay, that sounds like one heck of a plan for you both physcially and mentally. Let me suggest that you find yourself a good marathon training plan if you have not already. I do not say this to make it feel like Work or something you Have to do, but a set plan will help take away the stress of deciding what you need to do. A training plan will also allow for much easier planning on your part to ensure you get that run in for training and stress relief purposes. Have you run a marathon before, and which one are you scheduled to do?

I fully agree with Todd. Having a plan will take the guessing and the stress of trying to figure out how many miles or how long you should be running. Once you know what your marathon course will be like (lots of hills, or mostly flat) you can tailor your route to suite your needs. Best of luck to you in your training!!
2013-06-18 8:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Louisville

I do have a Jeff Galloway plan and oddly enough marathon training is less stressful for me because I can run anywhere. I don't live in a particularly bike friendly area so cycling has to be planned and making it to the pool is also sometimes tricky. Having a bag with some clothes and running shoes is way easier and I work right near 2 great running parks. I have done a marathon before about 3 years ago so I'm familiar with the crazy it takes. I'll be doing the Indianapolis Marathon on October 19th and I actually did the course last year as part of a relay team. I decided I was going to run it as a full several months ago and I think tri training PLUS marathon training had me even crazier than I needed to be.

More importantly, I started day one of training today and it was tough but I really really needed to run and to feel proud of myself again. I needed today's run more than I needed air and it almost didn't happen. I was at work until after 7:30 and at 7:25 it looked like a big storm was rolling in. As I was trying to clock out the power went off and so I didn't bother changing in the locker room and running at the reservoir track nearby. Decided I'd just go home and sulk. I got to my car and it was crazy windy but no rain. I drive through one of my favorite parks to get home and saw a lot of people out and that it STILL wasn't raining so decided to change in the bathrooms and run. I stayed on the path in case it did start raining since I didn't have any visibility gear and ended up doing a solid 5K. It was hard on my tired legs but I did a mile on the pavement, a mile on the trail and the last mile was a mix. I really needed to be proud of myself today and I am. Then I saw a rainbow on my way home

2013-06-18 9:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

More importantly, I started day one of training today and it was tough but I really really needed to run and to feel proud of myself again. I needed today's run more than I needed air and it almost didn't happen. I was at work until after 7:30 and at 7:25 it looked like a big storm was rolling in. As I was trying to clock out the power went off and so I didn't bother changing in the locker room and running at the reservoir track nearby. Decided I'd just go home and sulk. I got to my car and it was crazy windy but no rain. I drive through one of my favorite parks to get home and saw a lot of people out and that it STILL wasn't raining so decided to change in the bathrooms and run. I stayed on the path in case it did start raining since I didn't have any visibility gear and ended up doing a solid 5K. It was hard on my tired legs but I did a mile on the pavement, a mile on the trail and the last mile was a mix. I really needed to be proud of myself today and I am. Then I saw a rainbow on my way home

Rennay, good for you and you should feel proud of what you did, especially to not give in to the urge to be lazy today. It says alot about the fact that you do want a healthy lifestyle and enjoy working out. A lot of people would have drove on home and felt fine with just saying that it was out of their hands. What happened last weekend was merely a hiccup and a learning tool. Continue to hold your head high and be proud. Congrats on the prior Marathon, so you do know what it takes. Let me know if you need anything although my only marathon I did was slow and I was terribly undertrained for it.
2013-06-18 9:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Where are all my Turtles at, all my Turtles at? Busted out on yall with a funky flow.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2013-06-18 9:51 PM
2013-06-19 2:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Hi Guys. Work has been tough lately.
I did a 20 minute run today to test the ankle and it went well.
Hopefully, now I can get back on track.
2013-06-19 9:44 AM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Lovey

Hi Guys. Work has been tough lately.
I did a 20 minute run today to test the ankle and it went well.
Hopefully, now I can get back on track.

2013-06-19 7:47 PM

User image

New user

Where are all my Turtles at, all my Turtles at? Busted out on yall with a funky flow.
well, I must respond to the funky flow! I'm up to my eyeballs with work. Went to see the Sports Med doc Monday. Dx: all sorts of tightness in my hips, IT band issues, psoas issues. No cycling for 1-2 weeks, but okay to run & swim. Still struggling with learning to swim, still trying to progress with running.

2013-06-19 8:43 PM
in reply to: iamDawnAnderson

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ok, so the wife wanted me to do Zumba with her at the gym tonight so I did. I looked so stupid becuase I have no rhythm what so ever. I mean it was flat out comical, but it made her happy! Wasn't a bad workout, but I would have preferred a three mile run, which likely would have been easier.
2013-06-20 4:56 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete Ok, so the wife wanted me to do Zumba with her at the gym tonight so I did. I looked so stupid becuase I have no rhythm what so ever. I mean it was flat out comical, but it made her happy! Wasn't a bad workout, but I would have preferred a three mile run, which likely would have been easier.

My guess is tomorrow you're going to find lots of muscles you didn't know you had, all aching! It's great to have a bit of a change, though, sometimes if only to make you realise your own way is better!Laughing

2013-06-20 5:08 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

With my half marathon coming closer, I have a bit of a question for the experienced runners: what do you do to fuel up for a long run?  I usually train first thing in the morning so I'm running (or swimming or cycling) on an empty stomach and a strong black coffee. My HM is at 6am, I'll be getting up around 3:30-4:00am, and I'm thinking I'm going to need some kind of breakfast to keep me going. I've tried taking a gel while out on my long runs and had no problem, so this morning I thought I'd try real food and had  two slices of raisin toast about an hour before my run. Man, that was a mistake! My legs felt like lead, it was so hard to get motivated to move them. Anyone got any tips or tricks? Just fruit beforehand, maybe some sultanas or dates? Or just stick to using a sports gel?

2013-06-20 8:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Taringa

With my half marathon coming closer, I have a bit of a question for the experienced runners: what do you do to fuel up for a long run?  I usually train first thing in the morning so I'm running (or swimming or cycling) on an empty stomach and a strong black coffee. My HM is at 6am, I'll be getting up around 3:30-4:00am, and I'm thinking I'm going to need some kind of breakfast to keep me going. I've tried taking a gel while out on my long runs and had no problem, so this morning I thought I'd try real food and had  two slices of raisin toast about an hour before my run. Man, that was a mistake! My legs felt like lead, it was so hard to get motivated to move them. Anyone got any tips or tricks? Just fruit beforehand, maybe some sultanas or dates? Or just stick to using a sports gel?

I know some will differ with me but I take two approaches to it. 1. I don't change anything before the run, if I only normally drink coffee and then run that's what I do before the half (make sure to mix in a bottle or two of water or sports drink, which has caloric value, before the run). 2. I have woke up an extra 30 to 45 min. early and ate two pop tarts or toast then took the rest of the morning as the normal routine (did this for the Marathon I did). Truth is, if you eat a good dinner the night before, you don't have to eat breakfast to have enough fuel in you to finish a Half. If you know you can handle gels on the run, then don't eat that morning, take your gels and if you start feeling hungry or feel you need fuel then have one. I have done three or so halfs and never had an issue where I though not eating breakfast played a role in my day. Lack of training yes, but not lack of eating, and if your hungry afterwards you can always eat. I would say that it is more important to hydrate before and during the run then eating breakfast.

What did you do before you 10K training run? The answer to that question very well could be the answer to this question.

Remember, not a trainer, but those are my thoughts.
2013-06-20 6:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Louisville
Originally posted by Taringa

When is your half? If you have some time then use it as an opportunity to test out different foods. But at the same time don't worry yourself into thinking you have to take extreme measures to survive the half. It is a long way, don't get me wrong, but you've been training for it so you're ready. What do you do before a 10k or 10 miler? Likely that'll be fine for the half, the only difference being that you'll want to take something other than water at a couple of the fuel stations on the course. Before my last half I had a homemade energy bar that I eat regularly and some Vega pre-workout powder in water. I've had that exact thing many times before many runs so I knew I could handle it. Another trick I use during long runs (10+ miles) is to pack Gushers (the fruit snacks) with me to take around halfway through or if I need a quick hit of sugar. I can't do any type of gels and I'm particular about sport/energy drinks so it took some time for me to find things I like. Before my full marathon I woke up quite early and ate a little oatmeal before the start and fueled throughout. But for me that's what I needed for a 20+ mile run but not for 13. If you have the time, mix it up and try different things to see what works. Number one rule, NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY. If you decided to stick with just coffee then on race day make sure it's just coffee

2013-06-20 10:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ok, ladies and gentlemen now it is time for the challenge of all challenges. THE TOUR DE FRANCE CHALLENGE This challenge is a great way to get to biking, keep up, or improve. The challenge is also a great way to meet fellow BT'ers and likely find other people to seek advice, inspiration, give inspiration, encourage, help those newer than you. Here is how it works. Go to the challenges page and select Tour Challenge (all the rules are there). State that you wish to participate and a team you would perfer to be one if you have a preferance (Garmin, BMC, and so on). You then will state your goals by the number of stages you will do and the total number of miles / hours or minutes you will do. So for an example, 8 stages for 80 miles or 10 stages for 5 hours. Just to let you know the Tour goes from the 29th of June to July 21st (21 total stages, but you set your number). You will be placed on a team and will work and chat with your team, you can trash talk the other teams (in good fun). I can tell you that this will be my third year and it has really helped me form some friendships and improved my bike fitness. You don't have to do alot, remember you set the goal and your goal is all you have to worry about, but it counts towards your teams total. You can request to be a team with me or leave it up to faith, I would say the latter becuase yall already have me for anything you need and I will continue to keep up with all the Turtles in the challenge. If you do want to be though, I have no problems with it becuase you will still meet others.

It has been slacking in here a bit, so hopefully quit a few will take the challenge and we can get it picked back up in here as well.
2013-06-21 4:56 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
ThanksTodd and Rennay for your answers, both good sound commonsense that I hadn't actually thought of!Embarassed The HM is in just over 2 weeks so I have a little bit of time to experiment with foods, I'm thinking I may just stick to my morning coffee if I can't find any suitable pre-race snack. I'm guessing I'm going to be too nervous to really stomach much anyway. The plan is to keep a close eye on what I eat between then and now to make sure there's plenty of carbs and protein on board and hopefully that should be all I need. 
2013-06-21 5:04 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete Ok, ladies and gentlemen now it is time for the challenge of all challenges. THE TOUR DE FRANCE CHALLENGE This challenge is a great way to get to biking, keep up, or improve. The challenge is also a great way to meet fellow BT'ers and likely find other people to seek advice, inspiration, give inspiration, encourage, help those newer than you. Here is how it works. Go to the challenges page and select Tour Challenge (all the rules are there). State that you wish to participate and a team you would perfer to be one if you have a preferance (Garmin, BMC, and so on). You then will state your goals by the number of stages you will do and the total number of miles / hours or minutes you will do. So for an example, 8 stages for 80 miles or 10 stages for 5 hours. Just to let you know the Tour goes from the 29th of June to July 21st (21 total stages, but you set your number). You will be placed on a team and will work and chat with your team, you can trash talk the other teams (in good fun). I can tell you that this will be my third year and it has really helped me form some friendships and improved my bike fitness. You don't have to do alot, remember you set the goal and your goal is all you have to worry about, but it counts towards your teams total. You can request to be a team with me or leave it up to faith, I would say the latter becuase yall already have me for anything you need and I will continue to keep up with all the Turtles in the challenge. If you do want to be though, I have no problems with it becuase you will still meet others. It has been slacking in here a bit, so hopefully quit a few will take the challenge and we can get it picked back up in here as well.

TdF challenge, sounds like it could be fun! My bike fitness is currently slacking off a little (ok, a lot) so maybe that's what I need to do.  I'll go have a look.

Edited by Taringa 2013-06-21 5:57 AM
2013-06-21 8:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Going to attempt to tackle the hills here again. I am pleased how my fitness has already improved this year. I have my first tri next Saturday and want to put the finishing touches on my running today.

In regards to fueling for the HM I take a slightly different approach. I'm the kind of person who can't function without breakfast and I don't do well missing meals either. So leading up to the race I don't change a thing about my diet. The morning of my race I always eat a peanut butter Cliff Bar and 12 oz of V8. For some reason that combo works for me. I think you need to find what race morning combo works for you and stick with it. I met a guy once who was convinced that eating sardines and pancakes was the way to go. Best of luck on your race!!!!!

That challenge sounds fun. my only problem is that I'm the world worst at tracking my workout. I'm amazed I've done so well simply logging my workout. And truth be told I don't log my weights or my hour long power walks or jogs. in fact if Todd didn't keep after my I probably wouldn't even log at all

Sounds like everyone is doing well in their training. Keep up the great work!!!

Beth

2013-06-21 2:04 PM

, Alabama
Hi, Beth

Can't wait to hear how your first Tri of the season goes, it will be interesting to see how the winter training pays off. I too am a fan of cliff bars the peanut butter ones are the best! I recently bought High 5 carb powder. I am not sure if you guys get that over there but so far I am finding it good, just a bit worried bout it being fructose and the calories!

2013-06-21 4:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Louisville

Going to attempt to tackle the hills here again. I am pleased how my fitness has already improved this year. I have my first tri next Saturday and want to put the finishing touches on my running today.

In regards to fueling for the HM I take a slightly different approach. I'm the kind of person who can't function without breakfast and I don't do well missing meals either. So leading up to the race I don't change a thing about my diet. The morning of my race I always eat a peanut butter Cliff Bar and 12 oz of V8. For some reason that combo works for me. I think you need to find what race morning combo works for you and stick with it. I met a guy once who was convinced that eating sardines and pancakes was the way to go. Best of luck on your race!!!!!

That challenge sounds fun. my only problem is that I'm the world worst at tracking my workout. I'm amazed I've done so well simply logging my workout. And truth be told I don't log my weights or my hour long power walks or jogs. in fact if Todd didn't keep after my I probably wouldn't even log at all

Sounds like everyone is doing well in their training. Keep up the great work!!!

Beth

Another fan of peanut butter cliff bars here! But I like the crunchy ones the best. Can't wait to hear about your race!
2013-06-21 4:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Louisville
I've done a little running this week. I think running on my tired legs from work is really going to come in handy when this marathon comes around. We have a pro triathlete here locally who is also an emergency room RN and he said running after work when his legs were tired was the best training he could have done because it taught him to handle fatigue during the IM. I'm taking that to heart! Tomorrow is a busy day since I'm working in the morning then going to see a potential wedding venue in the afternoon but I'm planning to get 5 miles in after that. Not sure if I will be posting much over the weekend but I will definitely catch up next week. Have a good one everybody!
2013-06-21 5:48 PM

User image

Veteran

I've done a little running this week. I think running on my tired legs from work is really going to come in handy when this marathon comes around. We have a pro triathlete here locally who is also an emergency room RN and he said running after work when his legs were tired was the best training he could have done because it taught him to handle fatigue during the IM. I'm taking that to heart! Tomorrow is a busy day since I'm working in the morning then going to see a potential wedding venue in the afternoon but I'm planning to get 5 miles in after that. Not sure if I will be posting much over the weekend but I will definitely catch up next week. Have a good one everybody!

I also find that I get the best training done after a long shift at work. Not only is it a good stress relief but it teaches my mind and body to function even when tired.

That being said my run was a complete disaster!!!! It was hot and humid and I didn't bring enough water with me. Was almost up the toughest hill when I got dizzy nauseated and almost hit the ground. Had to stop for a few minutes then walk up the rest and most of the next hill. Finally pulled myself together enough to run up the last hill. But the damage had been done to my times and it showed. Once I got back in the gym and cooled off I knocked out the weights with little problems. Still upset about the poor run though.......

Beth
2013-06-22 9:14 AM

I also find that I get the best training done after a long shift at work. Not only is it a good stress relief but it teaches my mind and body to function even when tired.

That being said my run was a complete disaster!!!! It was hot and humid and I didn't bring enough water with me. Was almost up the toughest hill when I got dizzy nauseated and almost hit the ground. Had to stop for a few minutes then walk up the rest and most of the next hill. Finally pulled myself together enough to run up the last hill. But the damage had been done to my times and it showed. Once I got back in the gym and cooled off I knocked out the weights with little problems. Still upset about the poor run though.......

Beth

Like many runs, it was not a good thing to do, but a good thing to have done. Congratulations, those are the toughest and the most rewarding.
I have another 5K race tomorrow. I'm trying to break 24 minutes. It's a fast course, so my stretch goal is 23:21, which is a 7:30 mile. It's the Glen Ridge (NJ) Lager Run. It takes place in the late afternoon, and there's free beer after the race. (If you win age group, you get a special mug. I'm not fast enough to win that, but my daughter might be. Of course, she's 15, so no beer in her mug!)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 45