2007-07-24 2:44 PM
in reply to: #899475

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Subject: RE: David Gillen's Group - FULL
JBrashear - 2007-07-24 2:38 PM
dgillen - 2007-07-24 1:56 PM

Double Deca Ironman Triathlon! NICE! I had heard of the Deca-Ironman and the Self-Transcendence but not the Double Deca.

I'll probably start training for that after Timberman!

How the hell do they even plan something like that, much less execute it?

I'm not sure about the Double-Deca, but I know some of these really long ultra events are held on relative short courses.  The 3100 mile Self-Trancendence consists of "5649 laps of a .5488 of a mile course (883 meters) in the timespan of 51 days.", and some the the ultra-Ironman events are held in a pool not OW! 

Sound likes fun, right!  Who's in with me!?

2007-07-24 2:48 PM
in reply to: #899492

User image

Pro
Texas
dgillen - 2007-07-24 2:44 PM

Double Deca Ironman Triathlon! NICE! I had heard of the Deca-Ironman and the Self-Transcendence but not the Double Deca.

I'm not sure about the Double-Deca, but I know some of these really long ultra events are held on relative short courses. The 3100 mile Self-Trancendence consists of "5649 laps of a .5488 of a mile course (883 meters) in the timespan of 51 days.", and some the the ultra-Ironman events are held in a pool not OW!

Sound likes fun, right! Who's in with me!?

I'm sorry, I'll be preoccupied with stabbing myself in the eye with a spork once a day for that 51 day span. I'd hate to cancel that when I've already bought the spork and everything.
2007-07-24 7:41 PM
in reply to: #801094

User image

Expert
Well, what comes to mind is little white mice going endlessly in circles on those wheel thingies! Perhaps it's not self-transcendance but INSANITY! Or one of those alien experiments on humanity! Maybe if they shocked me in the butt to make me keep running......ooh, almost sounds like foreplay for masochists! Well I do love to beat myself up.....

Okay, I'm in! Do we register on Active.com? Please tell me the registration fee is at least $1000......a race like that has to hit you in the balls financially too in order to make someone really interested! My receptionist was all like "who can take off two months to do something like that?" Do you transcend the need for a roof over head and food, etc, too? Or do the aliens fund it?

I have to admit though, it really screws with my head to think people are even capable of doing such things!

Any of you watched the movie "Fairytale"? Supposedly two little girls in Cottingley England took pictures of fairies. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Houdini had the photos tested and they were legit. Sir Arthur wrote a book about it! If fairies are real, then surely I can complete an IM I'll just have them fly me across the finish line!
2007-07-24 8:49 PM
in reply to: #899504

User image

Champion
Butler
JBrashear - 2007-07-24 2:48 PM
dgillen - 2007-07-24 2:44 PM

I'm not sure about the Double-Deca, but I know some of these really long ultra events are held on relative short courses. The 3100 mile Self-Trancendence consists of "5649 laps of a .5488 of a mile course (883 meters) in the timespan of 51 days.", and some the the ultra-Ironman events are held in a pool not OW!

Sound likes fun, right! Who's in with me!?

I'm sorry, I'll be preoccupied with stabbing myself in the eye with a spork once a day for that 51 day span. I'd hate to cancel that when I've already bought the spork and everything.
From what I read for the double deca they swim in a pool (50 meters hopefully) and then had a 5 mile loop that they repeated over and over and over and over, etc. again and then the run was a few mile loop also.  They basically can count miles when ever they want (ie sleep, eat when they feel like it).  For the ST 3100 race I think they can run from 6am to midnight and have around 2 months to complete the milage.  It is actually going on right now and the guy winning it is averaging 70 miles A Day.  Plus I believe you have to supply your own aid, but I could be wrong.

Just a bunch of crazy nuts in my opinion.  Gotta love it.

2007-07-25 12:53 AM
in reply to: #899237

Veteran

Miler - 2007-07-25 8:10 AM I mean, let's be realistic, the pinnacle could be to go even further... Triathlete's http://www.ultramanworlds.com/about.html Runner's http://ws100.com/home.html(I discard the Badlands Ultra, that's just cheating death.)

I was checking out the website for the WS100 just yesterday actually; it is on my to do list sometime before I'm 35.  I just want the buckle!

2007-07-25 8:46 AM

User image

Champion
Butler

I prefer these races!!!  I have done the 2nd one, I am just waiting for the other one to expand to Dallas.

http://www.saketvora.com/kkc/index.php
www.beermile.com

2007-07-25 8:47 AM

User image

Champion
Butler

Dave,

BTW, I ending up riding the first loop we did on Saturday last night.  I actually rode alittle farther because I messed up the course slightly.  I missed a few turns and ended up back tracking but oh well.

2007-07-25 10:29 AM

User image

Champion
Butler

Dave,

Do you think it would be a bad idea to do the Hotter 'n Hell 100 this year since it is 2 weeks before my HIM?  The only reason I am considering it is that I know I have the endurance this year because of my HIM training and since I will probably focus on sprint/oly next year and try to work on speed next year might be out.  I know I have the options of the shorter routes if I want to experience the HH100 but I know me and I will want to do the whole thing if I go.

2007-07-25 10:38 AM
in reply to: #900608

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
kproudfoot - 2007-07-25 10:29 AM

Dave,

Do you think it would be a bad idea to do the Hotter 'n Hell 100 this year since it is 2 weeks before my HIM? The only reason I am considering it is that I know I have the endurance this year because of my HIM training and since I will probably focus on sprint/oly next year and try to work on speed next year might be out. I know I have the options of the shorter routes if I want to experience the HH100 but I know me and I will want to do the whole thing if I go.

I originally thought about doing the HHH about one month before Redman last year, but I decided not to b/c 1) It's really crowded 2) There are a lot of inexperienced riders 3) There are a lot of crashes 4) The congestion could make it difficult to keep my own pace (either I'd be tempted to push it and/or draft or I'd be stuck behind slower riders!) 5) I wanted to get in a quality ride that weekend.

Thus, my personal opinion is that you should not do HHH, especially 2 weeks before Prairieman. It might take you more than a couple of days to recover and you should be doing shorter, more intense stuff the last couple of weeks.

I definitely want to do the HHH at least once just for the experience, but I don't want to sacrifice my training to do so.

Edited by dgillen 2007-07-25 10:40 AM
2007-07-25 10:44 AM
in reply to: #900629

User image

Champion
Butler
dgillen - 2007-07-25 10:38 AM
kproudfoot - 2007-07-25 10:29 AM

Dave,

Do you think it would be a bad idea to do the Hotter 'n Hell 100 this year since it is 2 weeks before my HIM? The only reason I am considering it is that I know I have the endurance this year because of my HIM training and since I will probably focus on sprint/oly next year and try to work on speed next year might be out. I know I have the options of the shorter routes if I want to experience the HH100 but I know me and I will want to do the whole thing if I go.

I originally thought about doing the HHH about one month before Redman last year, but I decided not to b/c 1) It's really crowded 2) There are a lot of inexperienced riders 3) There are a lot of crashes 4) The congestion could make it difficult to keep my own pace (either I'd be tempted to push it and/or draft or I'd be stuck behind slower riders!) 5) I wanted to get in a quality ride that weekend.

Thus, my personal opinion is that you should not do HHH, especially 2 weeks before Prairieman. It might take you more than a couple of days to recover and you should be doing shorter, more intense stuff the last couple of weeks.

I definitely want to do the HHH at least once just for the experience, but I don't want to sacrifice my training to do so.

Was not even thinking about the whole crash factor.  I was leaning towards not doing but this will probably definately make me not do it.

2007-07-25 3:14 PM

User image

Champion
Butler

Dave,

I was just curious if you would be willing to share your recipe for "Gillenade" with us?  I am trying to cut down on my cost and figure this would definately help. 

2007-07-25 4:06 PM
in reply to: #901265

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
kproudfoot - 2007-07-25 3:14 PM

Dave,

I was just curious if you would be willing to share your recipe for "Gillenade" with us? I am trying to cut down on my cost and figure this would definately help.

First of all, Gillenade is a definite work in progress and might be for some time.   I don't really have a set recipe as I tend to tweak and vary it a little from week to week.   This weekend will be a great test as it will be my first "race simulation" brick with it.  I'm more than happy to share my recipe(s) with everyone, but you'll need to alter them to suit your needs.  Before I write up all the gory details of my formulas, let me give you a simple recipe that I started with.  I started with Recipe #1 from here.  It is designed to mimic Gatorade, nothing more nothing less.  The trick is getting the flavoring right.  I didn't really like the taste of it with Kool-aid, so lately I've been using the new Propel-type powder packets with some success.  These are more expensive than Kool-aid, but suit my tastes better. 

Ken, this might suit your needs, but if you're willing to get a little more detailed you should read about the benefits of a complex carbohydrate called MaltoDextrin (MD) here and here .  Many of the commercial products (including all of Hammer's gels and powders) out there are primarily MD.

I like using MD (along with table sugar (sucrose) and dextrose (glucose)) to make all my nutrtional products:

1. Gillen-ade - a Gatorade-like drink that has about <7% concentration of sugars
  2. Gillen-ergy - a concentrated "feed bottle" that contains about 1100 calories and about 3500 mg of sodium.  Each sip from this bottle has about 80 calories and must be taken with lots of water.  This is meant for long rides.
  3. Gillen-durance - an Endurox like recovery drink that has about a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein (whey)

I'm using "100% Whey Protein" from Optimum Nutrion that I get for about $50 for a 10lb bag.  I was using this just for protein shakes long before I started using MD.

I used Gatorade Endurance (GE) for most of last year and it's a great product, but it doesn't provide enough calories on its own.   So, you have to supplement with gels, and then you need to take gels with water.  So, now you need GE, gels, and water on all your rides which can become a little bit of a hassle not to mention expensive!  So this year, I'm trying the feed bottle approach instead where I have all my caloric and sodium needs in one bottle and then just take water for hydration.

Damn!  I meant to keep this short.  Oh well.  Ken, we can talk a lot more about this on Saturday. 

Everyone else, let me know if your interesting in hearing more about this and I'll try to write something up.  Otherwise, I won't bore you with all my "potions" as my wife calls them!

2007-07-25 4:15 PM

User image

Champion
Butler

David,

Thanks, we can definately talk on Saturday.  I really am trying to avoid carrying food during my HIM and like your "feed" bottle.  I was looking at perpetuum and infinite and both are real expensive along with other drawbacks. 

See you Saturday.

2007-07-25 7:02 PM

User image

Expert
Okay Dumbledore--keep on making those potions! Maybe you can patent them and market them to all the BTer's? How cool to think I knew you BEFORE you got rich and famous My kids make potions all the time. My freezer is full of them. I get I just let them experiment because you never know where it might take them.

I'm a scientist as well. I bought a book about the brain to try to figure my dizzy/fainting thing out. As I suspected, I have a glutamine deficiency. Runners get them easily and I had been taking glutamine, but perhaps not enough of it and not on a consistent enough basis. Glutamine is a main component of GABA which is produced in the temporal lobes of the brain. I'm very deficient according to this test in the book. I'm acetylcholine dominant, which makes me intuitive and very highly cognitive and a good learner (hence the 4 degrees and fascination with fairies, aliens, psychics and Harry Potter). Dopamine and serotonin were also slightly deficient for me, but caffeine and exercise increase dopamine production, so I actually scored rather high at first for it, but it is a false dominance because of my Starbucks and training addictions! Without the stimulation of those addictions, I become the depressed introvert dopamine deficient person again. People low in serotonin are helped with complex carbs and so all the training with carb loading helps me with the serotonin deficiency too! In conclusion, my brain feels yucky when I don't train, but the training also makes me GABA deficient and that messes up my temporal lobes which makes me DIZZY and sort of motion sick!

I'm trying to read and figure out just the right combination of supplements and diet to help my poor brain and I started taking some stuff I give my kids for their little hyper brains, but hadn't been taking myself (just where did I think they got their hyper brains from? Can't blame everything on their father....).
2007-07-26 7:03 PM

User image

Expert
I'm such a softy. Noah begged for this. They say the number of bikes to have is the following formula: where N = the number of bikes you have. N+1 = the number of bikes you want!

(n+1.bmp)

Attachments
----------------
n+1.bmp (74KB - 37 downloads)
2007-07-26 10:01 PM
in reply to: #903165

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

phoenixrising404 - 2007-07-26 7:03 PM I'm such a softy. Noah begged for this. They say the number of bikes to have is the following formula: where N = the number of bikes you have. N+1 = the number of bikes you want!

Sweet chopper!  I bet he feels really cool cruising down the street, nodding at the ladies in that bad boy!

That's great that you bought this for him.  I have very found memories of riding my bike as a kid.  Maybe that's why I like cycling so much now.  It reminds me of being Noah's age! 

2007-07-27 9:33 PM

User image

Pro
Texas
I have suggestions for other products you should make:

1) Gillfilte Fish: A genetically modified kosher fish with a 4:1 protein:carb ratio.
2) Bagills: It's a bagel with whey protein.
3) Gill Dill PickGills: They're like pickles, but with 3x the electrolytes.
4) Catfish gills: Frankly this is disgusting, but it does have 'gill' in the name.
5) Gillmore Girls: The 21st century Soylent Green.
2007-07-28 11:09 AM
in reply to: #904869

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

JBrashear - 2007-07-27 9:33 PM I have suggestions for other products you should make: 1) Gillfilte Fish: A genetically modified kosher fish with a 4:1 protein:carb ratio. 2) Bagills: It's a bagel with whey protein. 3) Gill Dill PickGills: They're like pickles, but with 3x the electrolytes. 4) Catfish gills: Frankly this is disgusting, but it does have 'gill' in the name. 5) Gillmore Girls: The 21st century Soylent Green.

LOL-ROF!  My wife will laugh even harder when I show this to her.   BTW, she loves Gillmore Girls.  Thanks for the comic relief. 

How'd the move go, Johnny?  Do you like your new place?  All moved in? 

2007-07-28 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
Jonny--I actually spent about 5 solid minutes trying to add to your list to no avail. The spork thing was pretty damn funny, too. Again, I bow to you, the king of tri comedy!

I got an email from my tri club the other day, and I thought maybe you all would find it interesting:

"Phil Strand and I are out here riding 500 miles across Iowa in the RAGBRAI this week. So are 10,000 + others and Lance Armstrong.

Yesterday we were on mile 82 of a century day when we were very slowly coasting through one of the very small towns when Lance and two crew went shoulder to shoulder past us! We were a block from the edge of town so we guesed right that it was our chance to ride with The Man. We booked it up to them along with other riders thinking the same--long story short we got going in a double paceline with Lance at the front of one of them--we were just 3-4 riders back from him--pace 21-24mph--Phil dropped off after about 5 miles and I managed to stay on for almost 9 miles when we had to go around a corner and up a serious incline. Lance and crew apparently decided to see what everyone was made of--as they rounded the corner they were all up out of the saddle and put on the afterburners!! They spit all but a couple riders of the 35 or so riders who had latched on!! Another guy and I were trying to catch them but we were hammering 27mph up the incline and just watching the distance get greater and greater as they crested the hill into the next town and they were gone. It was so cool and totally a thrill!! (and not exactly the way I would ride miles 82-91 of a century!)"--Keith Stubbendick

Matt--I'm thinking of you today at the Bix and it makes me feel very sad that I can't be there too. So you will have to have a ton of fun for me too and tell me every little detail so I can live vicariously through you, k? I have a chiropractic appointment for myself next week and I am truly hoping my leg heals soon.

I should be run-walking 75 miles a month for the next few months to be ready for my October marathon and every day that goes by makes me feel like that dream is slipping further and further from me.....but on a happy note, I'm really accumulating the bike miles this month, even if they are mostly indoors. Hey, at least I got outside on Thursday for a ride--with a guy--and it wasn't a big ride, but it made me so nervous to be out there with a hunky dude that my legs were all jelly and I couldn't do the hills. Pitiful. My hands were even all shaky. I hate nerves. And hormones. But he's called me every day since and emailed, too, so I think that's rather a good sign, right?
2007-07-28 3:35 PM
in reply to: #905077

User image

Pro
Texas
dgillen - 2007-07-28 11:09 AM

JBrashear - 2007-07-27 9:33 PM I have suggestions for other products you should make: 1) Gillfilte Fish: A genetically modified kosher fish with a 4:1 protein:carb ratio. 2) Bagills: It's a bagel with whey protein. 3) Gill Dill PickGills: They're like pickles, but with 3x the electrolytes. 4) Catfish gills: Frankly this is disgusting, but it does have 'gill' in the name. 5) Gillmore Girls: The 21st century Soylent Green.

LOL-ROF! My wife will laugh even harder when I show this to her. BTW, she loves Gillmore Girls. Thanks for the comic relief.

How'd the move go, Johnny? Do you like your new place? All moved in?

The move went reasonably well, and I'm in the temporary apartment now. It's a nice place, I've got no complaints.
2007-07-28 7:15 PM

User image

Champion
Butler
I told my wife I got some of the MD from you this morning to make the feed bottle and she just shook her head and told me I was getting ridiculous.  I told her she had only seen the beginning.  I explained to her your drink stradegy and again just a blank "I can't believe you people" stare.

2007-07-29 6:06 AM

Veteran

Anyone thinking about doing the Dallas White Rock marathon this year?  I'm thinking about signing up.

2007-07-29 8:51 AM
in reply to: #905453

User image

Champion
Butler
Timo - 2007-07-29 6:06 AM

Anyone thinking about doing the Dallas White Rock marathon this year?  I'm thinking about signing up.

Nah, too expensive.  I did the half a few years ago and it was great but I think they changed the format slightly from then.  The year I did it everyone started together on 2 different streets and then merged after a few blocks.  You ended up running through the west end with 7,000 people.  It was a cool sight.
2007-07-29 10:06 AM

User image

Expert
Hey guys,
I'm gonna ask a stupid Q--what exactly is a cyclocross race???? They are starting them in September in Viroqua, which is just 20 miles from me and they have them for ages 5 and up, so it might be something I could do with the kids. Mose will be 5 in October and they still have them then, and the others are almost 7 and 9.....

I'm just too embarrassed to ask the velo club members for the definition....they are like way hard core about everything cycling!

Matt--waiting for your Bix report!

Anyone heard from PocketRocket or KP or Kevdia lately??? Hellooooo......
2007-07-29 12:55 PM
in reply to: #905544

User image

Champion
Butler
phoenixrising404 - 2007-07-29 10:06 AM Hey guys, I'm gonna ask a stupid Q--what exactly is a cyclocross race???? They are starting them in September in Viroqua, which is just 20 miles from me and they have them for ages 5 and up, so it might be something I could do with the kids. Mose will be 5 in October and they still have them then, and the others are almost 7 and 9..... I'm just too embarrassed to ask the velo club members for the definition....they are like way hard core about everything cycling! Matt--waiting for your Bix report! Anyone heard from PocketRocket or KP or Kevdia lately??? Hellooooo......
check out the wikipedia entry below  I think it is like a crit on moutain bikes and some roads but I am not sure. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclocross
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » David Gillen's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 36