BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2011-03-28 9:56 AM
in reply to: #3415769

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!

ANNE -

I guess I succeeeded in looking old and decrepit yesterday, because I got the one-month unlimited seniors pass for $90. So, we'll see where that gets me!

Nowmal rates there, which seem competitive with other studios in Ottawa, are 5 for $75, 10 for $140, 20 for $245 30 for $340. There are also one-time-use cards for a month at $108 and 3 months at $210. I'm sure that the rates for students and seniors are for always, not just a one-time only deal.

Most classes at Santosha are 90 minutes; are yours shorter, maybe?

I will look into that cookbook. Peter clued us into one titled "Indian Cooking", with the authors name something like Pesh-Pish Poshtosh (seriously!). It comes in its own muslin sack with handles, and is huge, and the recipes look fabulous. But the price is about $49 at Chapters, and even with my i-rewards card that is too dear for me right now.

I have told you he is Station Manager at CFRU, and one of his ideas has been a books-based show. About two months ago he launched it, "Books For Breakfast", Thursday mornings for two hours. He is having a ball with it, constantly evolving it with his two co-hosts, and has built a pretty nice website (blogspot?). I will get that contact to you, and if you're ever bored on a Thursday moning you might want to give it a listen. I think it will be a very tight enterprise wthin a few months.

Have a good time re-launching yourself this week, and let me know how it is going! Our weather is still lousy, but the next few days might be outside-ride days. Yippee!! My hematuria returned after my two runs last week -- always disconcerting! I think I'll pass on a cold run today and look for a nicer day tomorrow, plus an extra day to let whatever is causing the hematuria to seal itself. Bah.

Did you see my note about Musselman being sold out across the board. That's another "bah", as I got mostly blindsided by it. And one more for good measure --- BAH!!

2011-03-28 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3417703

User image

Champion

ANNE again -

Was it you I mentioned wheelbarrow inner tubes to? Anyhow, i finally found one and will take it to the pool today. It is supposed to be a different sort of pull buoy effect, worn down around the ankles. i have done this wil an old bike tube, partly inflated and tied into a tight loop, but thta just makes me feel as if I'm soon to go straight vertical, or down, take your pick. Maybe the fatter wheelbarrow one will work better.

I was glad that a clerk didn't come by when I was comparing them. "What size is your wheelbarrow, sir?" "Um, er, it's for my ankles." To which I would've had to add that it is for swimming ("Wipe that smirk off your face, young man!"), as opposed to something exotic such as bondage and discipline!

2011-03-28 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3416903

User image

Champion

DENISE -

Actually, maybe I do! I just signed up for Keuka Lake Tri in the Finger Lakes area of NY, and that's June 4 (5?). It's an oly, with the possibility of downgrading to a sprint if I feel like it. It is the least expensive of three options that weekend, and also provides rooms (for $39) in a college dorm, if I want to have no a-c and sleep spartan for an night.

There may be one before it, Harryman, about an hour north of NYC, about May 22. That's one that feeds to my strengths -- 600 meter swim, 29 mile bike, 10km run. I haven't decided on it yet, though.

Any thoughts I had on jump-starting the season with a few duthlons went out the window once I bought the Yoga pass yesterday. It wasn't exactly negotiations with Lynn.............but I knew (hoped) I could impress her with spending $90 for the pass instead of a race or two or three, all in New York, all each about $250 (fee, motel, food, gas). I think she was pleased, sort of, but maybe wondering why I don't make these cuts when there are no ulterior motives in play. (Hmmm. Good question.)

(And how does one successful surrender the high ground when they are already on the low ground??)

2011-03-29 7:17 AM
in reply to: #2559115

Master
Kitchener

STEVE,

Cycling is changing to short hill climbs today (9 x 1min).   Should I just have the chain in the big ring at the front and a gear in the back that feels hard?   I don't think that means going 'all out' as hard as I can. 

Thanks.

2011-03-29 8:17 AM
in reply to: #3412947

New user

SteveB,

Your welcome for the notes. Hopefully, they'll work for me as a bit of a reminder. I did buy her book ("Call the Suit") which is loaded with pcitures so that should be a help. Also bought the bands she sells to use while I am in Mexico to be able to strength train and work on form at the same time.

She does tell a motivating story. Moreso if you read some of the articles/interviews with her on SlowTwitch. She is living a motivational life.

Speaking of lats and traps. She showed us an underwater video of a mens 50 free. The lats on this lats must flex out 3 or 4 inches when he really starts pulling. It could be more than that. It was truly amazing to see how much the back really is the key swimming muscle. Much motivating for me to work on back strength as well as legs and core.

2011-03-29 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3419355

New user

SteveB,

As for my personal motivation...It's not where it was last year, no question about it. I'm not sure where the reason lies. Is life becoming too busy outside of training? (Yes, I'm adding another hobby, home beer making.) Is work to much right now? Is it I know I'll be in Mexico and probably not training next year?

I really have no idea. I'm just not feeling as motivated. Haven't been on a bike in over a week. Knocked out my first 3.1 miles in 35 minutes that includes 12.5 minutes of walking. Last swim was last Friday at 1200 yards. Or so I think that is the distance. Not 100% positive the pools I have been using are 25 yards anymore. So I think the progress is their. I feel stronger and feel that my running will be faster than last year especially since I can push it more this year. I can talk about triathlon and read about it and surf the internet about it but when doing my workouts I'm not super highly motivated to do them. I get through what I set out to do but in the middle my mind is wondering why I am doing them...Not to mention, I'm not getting in my 9 workouts a week I think I need and have not worked out on a weekend yet. Also been eating out a fair bit lately and not the healthy kind of eating out which is not helping my overall well feeling.

As for the Timecrunched Triathlete talking about timecrunched reading...Haven't found that chapter yet!! Right now I'm focusing on getting through Matt Fitzgerald's triathlete's bible like book before moving on to another book....Not sure where to go from there be it nutrition or training goals.

2011-03-29 8:35 AM

New user

The local bike/triathlon shop had their once a year sale this past weekend. Ended up getting a pair of Specialized Trivent's and a climbing block.

Even though the Trivent is a 2 strap shoe, in talking to the Specialized rep that was there he said that the front strap is set and forgot about as it is how the width is adjusted. So it should not be adjusted very much either. Now I have to spend some wearing them around the house to see if hot spots develop or not. Not sure if they will as the other shoes I had, it only developed after some time of riding.

2011-03-29 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3419407

Master
Kitchener
smarx - 2011-03-29 9:35 AM

The local bike/triathlon shop had their once a year sale this past weekend. Ended up getting a pair of Specialized Trivent's and a climbing block.

Even though the Trivent is a 2 strap shoe, in talking to the Specialized rep that was there he said that the front strap is set and forgot about as it is how the width is adjusted. So it should not be adjusted very much either. Now I have to spend some wearing them around the house to see if hot spots develop or not. Not sure if they will as the other shoes I had, it only developed after some time of riding.

Shaun,

The Trivents are a great shoe.   I've had mine for 5 years and there are still in great shape.  The only change I think they have made in all that time is they are no longer real leather.   You're right about the front strap - I never adjusted it, once I had it where I wanted.   The only reason I'm not fond of them in races is that they are difficult to get into when you leave them on the pedals.   When riding for the first couple of minutes your foot squishes the velcro down and it is such good velcro that it is near impossible to wriggle your foot in.  However, if you are more nimble/flexible/stable on the bike, you could probably lean down and open the strap.  

Don't worry about not being motivated.  It happens.   Just keep up the reading - it's obviously helping a bit.  

2011-03-30 12:06 PM
in reply to: #3419260

User image

Champion

ANNE -

Aw, I'm sorry I missed your post from yesterday. However, had I seen it I mightn't've known exactly what to recommend; I'm very curious as to what you ended up doing!

Factors would be the pitch of the hill and how much of a "running start" you were giving yourself. With a running start on a not-killer-steep hill, I would do it in the small ring and smaller cog in back, and then keep shifting as was necessary to maintain a fairly fast cadence. So, it would be a spin of sorts, but trying to maintain considerable power.

The other way to do it is with the big ring and out-of-saddle, which is an entirely different approach. It is fine, and I end up doing it in races often enough, but I try to view it as a "fallback" to a power=spin up the hill.

So.....what was your gearing de jour?

2011-03-30 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3419355

User image

Champion

SHAUN -

Urp. Not only am I not enagaging those muscles properly.....but I haven't that degree of musculature to begin with, at least not as you suggest is the case for the guy in the video! I mean, the muscles I have are good for the general population and phenomenal for a 62-year-old.......but they ain't gonna cut it as power-drivers!

That said, I believe that every little bit helps, and the problem is more how I engage them. When I dial-in my focus as tight as I can get it, I think I'm closer to good engagement of them.....but then the rest of the checklist gets shunted aside.

As I said before -- urp.

2011-03-30 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3419386

User image

Champion

SHAUN again -

Motivation sure can be a slippery son-of-a-gun, huh? I've been lucky that over the years I have kept mine mostly intact, and if I have any key to success it's not letting it make too many inroads. The worst times I have faced are when I have been on the shelf for a while, and then the return goes in fits and starts, and I lose confidence in my ability to cobble together a decent season.

But that's me, and the best I can figure for you are the very valid points you mention at the top. It's been a few years since I was a working stiff, but being full-time AND trying to carry on a life beyond work and training is very difficult --- the term "time-crunched" doesn't really do it justice. You deserve credit for being a pretty balanced person, and that is something you should continue to cultivate as, ultimately, it will contirbute to you being a better triathlete.

You're fretting now about the 9 workouts per week, so what might help is to weed out the less important ones and see how you can manage 6 or 7 decent workouts each week. It does sound as if you're feeling pretty good about your swim and run, so you can either ride on their coattails and use the successes there for motivation, or you can decide to spend the next week focusing on the bike.

Another way to try to get back in the groove is to view your workouts as SHORT and CRISP. Get out the door, but focus only on the hard and relative short efforts --- maybe nothing much more than the times you predict you will spend on each discipline in your first couple of races. Using your example from above for the run, 3.1m is 5km, so you don't need to view anything right now longer than 35 minutes. This is a way to get the upper-hand on being time-crunched --- don't shoot any higher than you need to! Doing the workouts, period, is the key thing; after the motivation returns, higher volume and time and intensity will take care of themselves.

Let me know how this is evolving for you!

Edited by stevebradley 2011-03-30 12:27 PM

2011-03-30 2:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Just did 2 hrs 15 min on the trainer.  Watched "The Town" - good flick.  I wasn't concerned with resistance or cadence - just wanted to see if my bottom would hold up and it did.

Denise

Chance of more snow tomorrow here.

2011-03-30 2:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Shaun,

Ready for "Top Chef" finale tonight?  Pretty sure Richard's got it.

Have you seen all the seasons?  I just read that Stephanie Izard"s restaurant "Girl & the Goat" is a finalist for James Beard "best new restaurant".  She's the one who beat Richard in his original season when he crashed in the finals.

Denise

2011-03-30 2:19 PM

Master
Kitchener

STEVE,

I rode OUTSIDE today!!   Smile   Was supposed to ride yesterday, but didn't 'cause I had physio and osteo afterwards and wanted to see what they had to say first.   Then I told Ken I was going to lay low until the weekend before biking but I just could NOT pass up being outside today.    It wasn't even really warm - 3* with 15km E wind, but it felt quite nice to me.

I initially went out for me test walk that I am now doing daily to guage my healing progress, and today gave me some hope.   Hopped on the bike right afterwards, for only 11.5 km but it felt VERY good - no issues at all, and quite strong riding into the wind.   I did my 'short hill climbs' today.    Yesterday would have been an indoor ride - that was why I was asking how you do short hill climbs.   Today, it did them pretty much exactly as you described (before even seeing what you said) - no getting out of saddle.   It's rare that I would do that as well.

I will not be attempting any running until next week.   Just can't risk any setbacks. 

Not really concerned yet about the low volume in March - last year March and May were really low volume - hardly swam at all and diidn't even bike much in May - April was the only month where I got alot of cycling in - and I still was able to do the 1/2 distance and have fun.    Right now, I don't care if Musselman is the ONLY race I do this year as long as I can stay healthy.     

Any big plans for the weekend?  

2011-03-30 5:12 PM
in reply to: #3421940

Master
Kitchener
LadyNorth - 2011-03-30 3:02 PM

Just did 2 hrs 15 min on the trainer.  Watched "The Town" - good flick.  I wasn't concerned with resistance or cadence - just wanted to see if my bottom would hold up and it did.

Denise

Chance of more snow tomorrow here.

Nice Ride!      Snow?  Yell  Hope they're wrong!

2011-03-30 5:17 PM
in reply to: #3417724

Master
Kitchener

stevebradley - 2011-03-28 11:04 AM ANNE again - Was it you I mentioned wheelbarrow inner tubes to? Anyhow, i finally found one and will take it to the pool today. It is supposed to be a different sort of pull buoy effect, worn down around the ankles. i have done this wil an old bike tube, partly inflated and tied into a tight loop, but thta just makes me feel as if I'm soon to go straight vertical, or down, take your pick. Maybe the fatter wheelbarrow one will work better. I was glad that a clerk didn't come by when I was comparing them. "What size is your wheelbarrow, sir?" "Um, er, it's for my ankles." To which I would've had to add that it is for swimming ("Wipe that smirk off your face, young man!"), as opposed to something exotic such as bondage and discipline!

No, it wasn't me that you mentioned inner tubes to.   Have never heard of them used like that before - for swimming.     What's the different effect?  

2011-03-30 9:16 PM
in reply to: #3422354

User image

Champion

ANNE -

The effect is VERY different. To wit:
--- the bike tube, cut short and then tied off and worn down around the ankles, makes sinking legs very difficult to avoid
--- the wheelbarrow tube, mostly fully inflated and worn around ankles, brings the bottom half WAY high
--- the wheelbarrow tube, partly inflated, and worn around the ankles, also brings the bottom half WAY high
--- the 'barrow tube, 80% deflated, creates massive drag

Clearly, I need to do some fine-tuning with the wheelbarrow one --- play with a few imntermediate inflation levels, maybe try wearing higher on my legs. I would also love to remove the strongstrongstrong odor of rubber -- yechh!

Edited by stevebradley 2011-03-30 9:18 PM
2011-03-30 9:26 PM
in reply to: #3421981

User image

Champion

ANNE again -

Brave woman, riding at 3C! I think I did that around '-0-'05, but since then have gotten too soft. It also doesn't help that each year blood flow to my extemities gets increasingly suspect, so that makes riding in the cold quite unpleasant. So, it's one more day of March and I've been outside once. I might make it out tomorrow, but i don't think so. Last March had me outside 11 times, i think it was!

Hips and groin are still bothering me, with the discomfort being very unpredictable both in location and intensity. I hope yoga is not making it worse!!

You're being very, very smart about the running --- with age does indeed come wisdon (at least for you...). Plenty of time, plenty of time, plenty of time!

2011-03-30 9:28 PM
in reply to: #3421940

User image

Champion

DENISE -

Hey! Congrats on 135 minutes of trainer-time!

I'd suggest that you pat your bottom from me on a job well done --- but that would just be a rude on my part!

2011-03-31 5:53 AM
in reply to: #3422647

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine

stevebradley - 2011-03-30 10:16 PM ANNE - The effect is VERY different. To wit: --- the bike tube, cut short and then tied off and worn down around the ankles, makes sinking legs very difficult to avoid --- the wheelbarrow tube, mostly fully inflated and worn around ankles, brings the bottom half WAY high --- the wheelbarrow tube, partly inflated, and worn around the ankles, also brings the bottom half WAY high --- the 'barrow tube, 80% deflated, creates massive drag Clearly, I need to do some fine-tuning with the wheelbarrow one --- play with a few imntermediate inflation levels, maybe try wearing higher on my legs. I would also love to remove the strongstrongstrong odor of rubber -- yechh!

Hi Guys!

Long time not talk!    HEY I heard another thing - take 2 waterbottles and tape them together, and use them as a pull bouy - add some water for more weight (same amount in each bottle or else you will swim crooked) I haven't done it but just thought of it when Steve mentioned his tire method.

2011-04-07 6:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Hi guys,

Well, I saw that the new spring groups are up - so I joined one.  I think this has been a wonderful forum and I thank everyone who's posted.  It lasted a long time but I think it seems to have run it's course.

Steve, Thank you SO MUCH for all your help and advice and general musings over the past year.

Anne, good luck with your future races.

Bye bye,

Denise

2011-04-08 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3435095

Master
Kitchener
LadyNorth - 2011-04-07 7:03 PM

Hi guys,

Well, I saw that the new spring groups are up - so I joined one.  I think this has been a wonderful forum and I thank everyone who's posted.  It lasted a long time but I think it seems to have run it's course.

Steve, Thank you SO MUCH for all your help and advice and general musings over the past year.

Anne, good luck with your future races.

Bye bye,

Denise

Sad to say goodbye,  Cry  but I understand.   An active forum IS a great boost when training and competing and this has been a really good one but seems most everyone has moved on. 

You are on a roll now with your training and have some great races planned.  I wish you the best of luck too!  

I'm not sure where this year is going to take me (not where I had originally planned!) but as long as I can stay active and healthy, I am happy.  

I will check in with you now and then to see how your year is going.    Take care,

Anne

2011-04-09 6:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
Hi everyone!

Just checking in to say hello. I'm totally out of the loop with where everyone is with their training and races since I haven't logged on here in probably at least a couple of months? I hope everyone is doing well.

I found out that I'm expecting in the fall, so my summer training/racing plans are off for this year I'm afraid. But my hope is to keep on running for as long as I can, and swimming throughout the rest of my pregnancy.

I'm a little bummed that I have to give up the racing this year after starting my racing only last summer, but I'm already thinking about my post-baby training plans. 2012, here I come!!!

Tracey

2011-04-09 6:31 PM
in reply to: #3437924

Master
Kitchener

thall0672 - 2011-04-09 7:10 PM Hi everyone! Just checking in to say hello. I'm totally out of the loop with where everyone is with their training and races since I haven't logged on here in probably at least a couple of months? I hope everyone is doing well. I found out that I'm expecting in the fall, so my summer training/racing plans are off for this year I'm afraid. But my hope is to keep on running for as long as I can, and swimming throughout the rest of my pregnancy. I'm a little bummed that I have to give up the racing this year after starting my racing only last summer, but I'm already thinking about my post-baby training plans. 2012, here I come!!! Tracey

CONGRATULATIONS, Tracey!!  There couldn't be a better reason for giving up racing.  

All the best,

Anne

2011-04-17 10:54 PM
in reply to: #3437942

User image

Champion

TRACEY!!!!

I just checked here for the first time in a while, as the site seemed to have died about a week ago.

Thta is HUGE good news, and I will respond more fully very soon (it's 11:55 p.m. now).

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276