BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2009-06-26 11:30 AM
in reply to: #2245100

Subject: RE: Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training)

wplummer - 2009-06-26 11:28 AM happy friday to all. today is starting off well. i ran this morning. the course was a five miler. i walked for bout a mile, but the rest was run almost non stop. i had that desire back prior to surgery. my knee is feeling ok and i am feeling motivated.

Great to hear! I meant to ask you how the knee was feeling.

2009-06-26 2:13 PM
in reply to: #2245386

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
wurkit_gurl - 2009-06-26 9:30 AM

Great to hear! I meant to ask you how the knee was feeling.

actually better this last week. originally my doctor wanted me to hold off running until july, but the knee has healed nicely and all of the fun pt has put me ahead of schedule. i was going to do a tri in august, but i will be on vacation that week-so now it is two weeks away.
2009-06-29 7:46 AM
in reply to: #2068561

Good morning all - another Monday, another week. How was everyone's weekend? My race on Saturday went pretty well - about as well as I expected given a 2-week break from running! Race report is posted. Was supposed to go out of town yesterday, but decided not to on Friday, so I am still taking the day off from work today Friday is a holiday, so it makes it a very short work week for me - hooray!! Well, since I am NOT at work today, I won't be on here much, but will be sure to make the rounds of inspires.

2009-06-29 7:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
happy monday to all. so i had today off and i decided to push it this morning. i ran, swam, and then 45 min on the elliptical. a nice sweaty start to the week.
2009-06-29 7:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
hey chrissy a quick couple of questions-
nutrition for a sprint. since i do most of my workouts in the morning, prior to eating, should i continue that for the sprint or just take in liquids on the bike and run. just curious.

also in the pool today i just realized that if i get tired in the water i can do the breatstroke. as i was experimenting with the breatstroke-i was thinking why not do part of the race with the breatstroke. this morning in the pool i was able to swim nonstop by alternating free and the breaststroke. is that ok to do-as just finish the swim any way possible. thanks.
2009-06-30 6:36 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
good afternoon peeps
Long time no post. Basically, i have had  a terrible two weeks , have had swine flu, followed by a knee injury (cricket ball to the knee cap.... ouch!)
Anyway, last two days been back on training, did a good 20 minutes (3k) on dreadmill last night,, and some rowing machine (2k in 7 mins 45) plus some weights and just generally felt amazing again.
Then today, went out this morning for a short bike, went past teh canal and thought screw it lets go down the canal, bearing in mind the heat here (best summer i can remember, have had 3 weeks of sun, with just 3 days of bad weather in the middle) it was 95 °f here, but was very pleasant and a good workout. Going to try for a swim tonight if i can get my membership sorted.
How are we all?

2009-06-30 6:52 AM
in reply to: #2251802

wplummer - 2009-06-29 8:49 PM hey chrissy a quick couple of questions- nutrition for a sprint. since i do most of my workouts in the morning, prior to eating, should i continue that for the sprint or just take in liquids on the bike and run. just curious. also in the pool today i just realized that if i get tired in the water i can do the breatstroke. as i was experimenting with the breatstroke-i was thinking why not do part of the race with the breatstroke. this morning in the pool i was able to swim nonstop by alternating free and the breaststroke. is that ok to do-as just finish the swim any way possible. thanks.

Hey Will great questions - bumping this to the next page since I am just seeing it now, but am getting ready for work. I'll get to it once I'm at the office

2009-06-30 7:55 AM
in reply to: #2252435

wurkit_gurl - 2009-06-30 7:52 AM

wplummer - 2009-06-29 8:49 PM hey chrissy a quick couple of questions- nutrition for a sprint. since i do most of my workouts in the morning, prior to eating, should i continue that for the sprint or just take in liquids on the bike and run. just curious. also in the pool today i just realized that if i get tired in the water i can do the breatstroke. as i was experimenting with the breatstroke-i was thinking why not do part of the race with the breatstroke. this morning in the pool i was able to swim nonstop by alternating free and the breaststroke. is that ok to do-as just finish the swim any way possible. thanks.

Hey Will great questions - bumping this to the next page since I am just seeing it now, but am getting ready for work. I'll get to it once I'm at the office

Okay, first answer - for a sprint, you shouldn't need a whole lot more than water, if you ate a good breakfast a couple of hours before race time (I like to finish my breakfast about 2 hours prior), and dinner the night before. If you want to take a gel - something that you have PRACTICED with - just in case, that's fine. I do that, but rarely end up using it. It sort of depends on how long you'll be out there, though. If you're a true BOP'er, and you're out there for over 2 hours, you may want something with you just in case. But again, make sure it's something you've trained with.

Second answer - a combo of freestyle and breastroke is fine, if it works for you! There are no real rules as to how you can get yourself across the swim aside from non-assistance. If you have to dog paddle, do the elementary backstroke or walk in a pool swim, it's all legal. A lot of slower folk do mostly breaststroke. Sometimes I have to do breaststroke for a few seconds if people get in my way or it gets traffic-jammed around the buoys. And it's a good way to regain your bearings if you get thrown off-course.

Happy Tuesday everyone - today is a short week for me. Day off yesterday and Friday is a holiday! Wahoo!.

Steve- sorry to hear about all your ailments! Glad to hear you are able to get back in the saddle.

2009-06-30 11:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
hey chrissy thanks for the insight. it must be my overthinking things. on ocassion i will bring a cliff bar with me-so my system is fine with that plus water.
this morning i wqs alternating 100's between free and breatstroke-and i felt faster in the water. plus i can sight better with the breatstroke, but now i feel more comfortable about the ows swim for my tri.
thanks.
2009-07-01 7:37 AM

Morning everyone. Yay, my week is almost over! We have Friday off, and I am going on a canoing/kayaking day trip with a group from my church. Then various Fourth of July festivities on Saturday. Does anyone have any fun holiday plans?

PS - Will, glad to hear that you are feeling good about the OWS - a combo of breaststroke and freestyle will keep you on track!

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2009-07-01 7:38 AM
2009-07-02 9:41 AM

A pre-emptive HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY since I won't be here tomorrow. Enjoy the weekend, get out and enjoy the weather!

2009-07-02 11:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
happy july 2nd!!!! i hope everyone has a great weekend. mine will start at 10:30am this morning. be safe have fun, and train if you have the time.
this morning was a "quick" 5 miler in the early am, followed by a good swim this morning. 10 more days until my first tri!!!
2009-07-02 12:06 PM
in reply to: #2258447

wplummer - 2009-07-02 12:40 PM happy july 2nd!!!! i hope everyone has a great weekend. mine will start at 10:30am this morning. be safe have fun, and train if you have the time. this morning was a "quick" 5 miler in the early am, followed by a good swim this morning. 10 more days until my first tri!!!

Ooh, yay, first triathlon looming!! How are you feeling about it? Excited? Nervous? There's something special about your "first time", hehe

2009-07-02 5:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
you could probably tell from my emails earlier this week that i wqas getting a little stressed. today i know i can finish the event-event if i have any knee issues on the run-i can walk\roll\cartwheel across the finish line. i like to push myself on the bike so i have to remember to save some legs for the run. i feel confident in completing the ows swim portion. if the breaststroke helps i will be doing it. thanks for answering all of my neurotic questions, and especially for all of the encouragement.
2009-07-03 3:53 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge

Well As a brit is it bad of me to wish you a happy 4th july ?

Enjoy your long weekends guys

2009-07-06 7:49 AM

Morning everyone! How was everyone's holiday? (Or weekend in the case of our mentee across the pond) The kayak trip was lots of fun! We paddled 11.8 miles - 5 of us in kayaks, the rest in canoes. The Shenandoah River is pretty and also fairly clean. The water wasn't very deep in many of the spots we passed and we kept getting the boats stuck on these fish dams - little rock ridges that the Indians made to trap fish. So now I have a gigantic bruise on my tailbone from jerking the boat around trying to get over the ones I got stuck on. In a couple spots, I had to get out of the boat and pull it over - luckily, in all of those spots, the water was only shin deep. We hit a couple of Class 1 rapids and one Class 2 - that one was fun, more like an amusement park ride than anything super-scary Apparently, I am a very good kayaker, as I ended up finishing first, and got far ahead of the group at several points, so had to stop and wait for the front of the pack to catch up. Oh, and if you want a great upper body and core workout - kakay for 4 hours Afterwards, we got dinner at a favorite post-hiking spot in the area, then went to a drive-in movie Saturday, I did some open water swimming with some tri team peeps and went to a couple of BBQs, saw fireworks, watch the Tour, etc.

2 more weeks until my next triathlon of the season - I should probably get on my bike at some point :-P Week 2 of marathon training is down. Ankle is stil holding up well. What's everyone else got going on training-wise? I know Will has a race coming up, and I think a couple of other folks have some things in July. Going to inspire you all now!

2009-07-06 11:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
happy monday to everyone. i hope everyone enjoyed their 4th of july. hey chrissy kayaking sounds great. mine was spent with family and friends, and trying not to get sunburnt before my race.

well my training had been going rather well until this morning. my runs were never spectacular, but i was happy with the way my knee was progressing since surgery in february. well this morning was going to be a nice flat run-and it was nothing but agony. i would try to run and my knee was too painful to run. walking seemed fine. yesterday when i ran no issues, it felt great riding hills. after swimming i came home iced it up, too some advil and i am off at work. i am taking tomorrow off from running, but my race is sunday morning and i am not happy. i will walk the run portion if i have too, but i am frustrated this morning.
2009-07-06 12:22 PM
in reply to: #2264580

wplummer - 2009-07-06 12:05 PM happy monday to everyone. i hope everyone enjoyed their 4th of july. hey chrissy kayaking sounds great. mine was spent with family and friends, and trying not to get sunburnt before my race. well my training had been going rather well until this morning. my runs were never spectacular, but i was happy with the way my knee was progressing since surgery in february. well this morning was going to be a nice flat run-and it was nothing but agony. i would try to run and my knee was too painful to run. walking seemed fine. yesterday when i ran no issues, it felt great riding hills. after swimming i came home iced it up, too some advil and i am off at work. i am taking tomorrow off from running, but my race is sunday morning and i am not happy. i will walk the run portion if i have too, but i am frustrated this morning.

Oh no!!!! So sorry to hear about your knee. Especially this close to the race. If the pain is gone by the weekend, are you still planning to race? You can always walk the run - no shame in that. But you're right on, walking the run would be fine - no shame in that. Hopefully, it was just a fluke thing - maybe you went out too fast, maybe you just hit it wrong, etc. Hopefully, it just indicates that your knee is still needing to heal, not that you did anything new to it.

2009-07-07 7:42 AM

Morning everyone. It's Tuesday - not much exciting about Tuesday. The group has been quiet lately (even before the holiday), so I hope everyone is well. Let's all send good thoughts to Will for his knee to feel better by race day this weekend.

Anyone watching the Tour de France? I'm not a "follower" of cycling (as in, I don't really know who all the dudes are and why they're so cool), but it's still fun to watch, even though it makes me feel slow

2009-07-08 11:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
a wonderful wednesday to all. well the knee is feeling better today that yesterday-so i went for a run this morning. it responded better, so maybe i have been over training my legs a bit. a quick dip in the pool for 1200 yds. then i pushed my luck and got on the elliptical trainer for 30 mins. overall feeling good today.
2009-07-08 11:51 AM
in reply to: #2270185

wplummer - 2009-07-08 12:11 PM a wonderful wednesday to all. well the knee is feeling better today that yesterday-so i went for a run this morning. it responded better, so maybe i have been over training my legs a bit. a quick dip in the pool for 1200 yds. then i pushed my luck and got on the elliptical trainer for 30 mins. overall feeling good today.

Good, glad to hear the knee is all right - just a couple more days until your race! Have everything you need?

2009-07-08 12:25 PM
in reply to: #2270319

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
wurkit_gurl - 2009-07-08 9:51 AM

Good, glad to hear the knee is all right - just a couple more days until your race! Have everything you need?

i think so....bike, goggles, shoes, tri shorts, sunglasses, race belt, sunscreen, a smile.....i am probably forgetting something but i am ready to go.
2009-07-08 1:12 PM
in reply to: #2270455

wplummer - 2009-07-08 1:25 PM  i think so....bike, goggles, shoes, tri shorts, sunglasses, race belt, sunscreen, a smile.....i am probably forgetting something but i am ready to go.

That sounds about right - I'm assuming you meant to add a shirt of some kind as well? That's really about it, though. Don't forget to pump your tires before the race - you'll have a smoother, faster ride if your tires are pumped up, which I'm sure you know, but it's one of those things you can easily forget come race morning.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2009-07-08 1:13 PM
2009-07-09 12:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
a morning walk\jog\shuffle. followed by a nice long 2000 yd swim. just trying to push the distance without losing too much form. felt good. this was the last swim before sundays ows. doing a bike ride tonite.
2009-07-09 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2273304

wplummer - 2009-07-09 1:06 PM a morning walk\jog\shuffle. followed by a nice long 2000 yd swim. just trying to push the distance without losing too much form. felt good. this was the last swim before sundays ows. doing a bike ride tonite.

Cool - things still going well with the knee? Have fun on your bike ride

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  

of 29