BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2010-08-08 12:48 PM
in reply to: #3029952

User image

Regular
Marco Island
Subject: RE: jsnowash's training group - FULL!!
Keirnen -

I think I recognized you as we were beginning the swim!  Purple cap group, right?  Bottom of lake was gross, but the water felt better than I thought it would.  It also seemed like it took more effort than the ocean swim, which I didn't expect.  The day was nice, and I appreciated all that tree cover during the run.  This is also my first tri season. I spend majority of the time living in Marco Island, Fl and summers at the Jersey shore.  I'm doing one more tri, but it's in Miami.  We're heading back early this year so I can participate with a group of friends.  Miami in August, what was I thinking?  I didn't stay to see the results, so I'm eager to see the splits.  According to my watch I think I finished around 1:27ish and if that's the case, I'm pleased with that! Dankin in September sounds wonderful! Good luck.  -- Deb   

2010-08-08 2:28 PM
in reply to: #3030115

User image

Yep, I was purple today. Loved that the swim waves were small. The NJ tri I was wave 13 and by the time I got in the water the sun was beating down. I don't see the results yet but I think I was around 1:31. Which would make me happy as well. It's interesting you thought it took less effort than an ocean swim. Makes me feel ok about my bay swim. How nice you can spend your year in 2 beautiful places! Good luck with your tri in August! Where do you stay at the Jersey shore? 
2010-08-09 5:50 AM
in reply to: #2773064

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Did everyone have a good weekend? I know there were a few racing over the weekend, so I would love to hear how your races went!

Fernando & I both did Steelman tri in PA. I don't know what Fernando's impressions were, but I thought it was a really well-run race in a nice venue. Some pretty competitive folks out there in the Olympic distance race, anyway!

As for me, I felt like I had a decent race. I was happy to break 3:00. The lake swim was lovely - no wetsuits, but the water felt great. I felt nice and relaxed, and just swam at an easy, comfortable pace, which was not especially fast, but let me leave the water feeling pretty fresh for the bike and run. I probably held back on the bike a little more than I needed to. I used my power meter and heart rate to pace the bike, and probably could have pushed both HR and power a little higher and been okay for the run, but since bike training has been weaker than I would like, I held back a little bit there, too. I felt like I had a solid run, and was happy to meet a mini-goal of breaking a 9:00 min/mile run pace for an olympic distance tri. I just barely beat it (8:58 pace), but I'll take it, especially since I felt like I could have given the run a little more, too. This is one area I need to work on -- learning to push myself more in races. I always find the voice in my head telling me to slow down so I don't blow up before the end of the race, but I almost always finish feeling like I could have given it more, rather than feeling like I gave it all I had...

BTW, I've invited Deb to join our group, so we may have a new mentor group member!
2010-08-09 6:45 AM
in reply to: #3031054

User image

Hi everyone,
Congrats on Steelman Jen & Fernando. It was an Olympic, right? Where was it held? Congrats on breaking your goals, Jenny. I did the DQ Kings Grant Tri. It really was a last minute decision. There were about 200 entrants. As with the other DQ events I've attended, it was very well run. It was a beautiful day which, I'm sure, helped my performance. I needed some confidence building after the NJ Tri. I felt good on the swim (even though the pond was gross). At the end I got kicked in the mouth, which stunned me and slowed me down a little. I felt good on the bike, nice smooth route. Although I didn't walk during the run, I was still very slow (39 min). I need some sort of running plan, I continue to struggle. Any thoughts or suggestions?
2010-08-09 6:56 AM

User image

Regular
Marco Island
Keiren --

I sent you the link to results in another note, but here it is again...  (you did great!)

http://www.dqtridu.com/kin10Results.htm

Jenny --

Thanks you, I would love to join the group.  I think I'm this for the long haul and it would be nice to have the support of you and the group.  A little about me....

I'm 48 years old (49 in a few days).  I've been married for almost 28 years and have two grown children.. daughter 25 and son 21.  My husband and I split our time between Florida and New Jersey.  My husband owned a business which he sold about six years ago and we were fortunate enough to be able to retire.  I was concerned I would be "bored", but have never been busier.    

I've always been active and actually enjoyed working out.  When we began spending time in Florida I was thrilled to see what a healthy lifestyle so many of the people lived and it has been really inspiring.  I joined the Masters swim team about three years ago and met the most amazing group of women.  Two of which are Iron men (women).  I've been spinning for close to 15 years now, and loving that, so the biking has come easily to me.  Running however, is a different story.  I broke my foot last year, had to have a pin put in and was in a cast for 12 weeks.  So, that was my excuse not to run.

About 3 months ago I decided to bite the bullet and try to run.  That was after I committed to participating in the Miami Nice Tri in August.  I was actually not too bad on the treadmill, but once I went outside it was so much more difficult and I was just dreadful.  I think I'm making progress, but it is so hard for me.  My heart rate sky rockets and I'm breathless even at the slowest of paces.  I wear a Garmin and my average heart rate doing a 5k at a 12 min pace can be around 180.  My exercising heart rate has always been high, but it's starting to concern me, so I think it's time to have some testing done when I get back to Florida.  

I did my first sprint tri earlier this month and 2nd one yesterday.  I'm exhausted, but I really enjoy the challenge.  I love both the swim and bike.  I know I could push myself harder on the bike, but like you, I hold back.  Part of it is the fear of taking a nasty spill at such a high speed.  In both races I saw people wipe out and it was scary, so at this point I'm ok with playing it on the conservative side.  I plodded away at the run and ended up doing what I think was good job.  It's a wonderful feeling. I want to continue to challenge myself and I really enjoy being surrounded by like mind people!  

I signed up for the Silver membership and have decided to follow the Sprint to Oly training plan.  After I take this week off!  My goal is to do a Oly distance before I turn 50 next year and perhaps HIM at the age of 50.  I could certainly use any pointers and encouragement from the group.  If you can tell me how to enable the "logs" and "races" buttons I'll do that so you can take a look at what I'm doing.  

Thank you again for the invitation to join and I look forward to getting know everyone. Cheers.  Deb

2010-08-09 6:31 PM
in reply to: #3031099

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
DebTri - 2010-08-09 7:56 AM Keiren --

I sent you the link to results in another note, but here it is again...  (you did great!)

Jenny --

Thanks you, I would love to join the group.  I think I'm this for the long haul and it would be nice to have the support of you and the group.  A little about me....

I'm 48 years old (49 in a few days).  I've been married for almost 28 years and have two grown children.. daughter 25 and son 21.  My husband and I split our time between Florida and New Jersey.  My husband owned a business which he sold about six years ago and we were fortunate enough to be able to retire.  I was concerned I would be "bored", but have never been busier.    

I've always been active and actually enjoyed working out.  When we began spending time in Florida I was thrilled to see what a healthy lifestyle so many of the people lived and it has been really inspiring.  I joined the Masters swim team about three years ago and met the most amazing group of women.  Two of which are Iron men (women).  I've been spinning for close to 15 years now, and loving that, so the biking has come easily to me.  Running however, is a different story.  I broke my foot last year, had to have a pin put in and was in a cast for 12 weeks.  So, that was my excuse not to run.

About 3 months ago I decided to bite the bullet and try to run.  That was after I committed to participating in the Miami Nice Tri in August.  I was actually not too bad on the treadmill, but once I went outside it was so much more difficult and I was just dreadful.  I think I'm making progress, but it is so hard for me.  My heart rate sky rockets and I'm breathless even at the slowest of paces.  I wear a Garmin and my average heart rate doing a 5k at a 12 min pace can be around 180.  My exercising heart rate has always been high, but it's starting to concern me, so I think it's time to have some testing done when I get back to Florida.  

I did my first sprint tri earlier this month and 2nd one yesterday.  I'm exhausted, but I really enjoy the challenge.  I love both the swim and bike.  I know I could push myself harder on the bike, but like you, I hold back.  Part of it is the fear of taking a nasty spill at such a high speed.  In both races I saw people wipe out and it was scary, so at this point I'm ok with playing it on the conservative side.  I plodded away at the run and ended up doing what I think was good job.  It's a wonderful feeling. I want to continue to challenge myself and I really enjoy being surrounded by like mind people!  

I signed up for the Silver membership and have decided to follow the Sprint to Oly training plan.  After I take this week off!  My goal is to do a Oly distance before I turn 50 next year and perhaps HIM at the age of 50.  I could certainly use any pointers and encouragement from the group.  If you can tell me how to enable the "logs" and "races" buttons I'll do that so you can take a look at what I'm doing.  

Thank you again for the invitation to join and I look forward to getting know everyone. Cheers.  Deb

Welcome to the group Deb. Like you pointed out, this is a really nice crowd...I love it. Congratulations on your first tri. Soon you will master the longer distances. About the HR, don't get to worked out about it. Max HR is genetically determined. Mine for example is 200 (I'm 41 1/2). Of course, as your conditioning improves you will be able to generate the same efforts at lower HR. Just think of this as a free Stress Test. It sounds like you are passing so far.  

2010-08-09 6:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Congratulations to all those who raced this weekend. 
Jenny: great job. Your limited training is probably better than any of our "all out" efforts!
I have posted the details of my race at the Race Link page, and some data in my training log, but I wanted to share some thoughts with the group.
I had set the goal of coming in under 3:15, and would be ecstatic if I broke 3 hours. My time was 2:59:10.
When I stopped my watch at the finish line and realized this, I was so happy and proud, specially since it was a much harder race than I expected.
For the past 6 weeks I thought my training had been pretty solid, and I expected to cruise....boy was I wrong! Then today when I saw my rankings (41/44 in age group, 197/231 gender and 267/355 overall), I was disappointed (to be honest)......then I reflected, and like any other human being I rationalized. After work I went for an unwinding jog and rationalized some more. I came up with tons of excuses: Really dedicated athletes sign up for Olys (less newbies like me).....As I came out of the water my HR was 186 so I slowed down......I didn't know the bike course which was hillier than expected......doing 2 loops in the run kind of psyched me out cause I kept thinking "I have to come through here again" etc., etc.,etc.  
As I settle down I'm starting to see it differently. Even though 266 individuals beat me yesterday, I actually beat thousands more that were still in bed or spent the day in the couch watching TV (this is quoted from a great article published in this site). I have gone from feeling like I would die while doing a 5k race last November to were I am now. I have lost almost 30 pounds in the process. Had you asked me a year ago if I could travel 33 miles on my own power in under 3 hours, I would have laughed to death.
This race is actually not only a goal, but a motivation to improve even further (yeah, yeah...I know I suck at running). It also has renewed my appreciation and admiration for all out there that attempt this adventure, yourselves included.
So keep up the good work gang. Barring injury, I have some PRs to take care of in the next year or so.

Fernando
PS: That HIM I thought I would do next year might have to wait a little longer......reality check: Triathlons are tough....those who attempt them are thougher Wink 
PSS: Can you believe I actually run to unwind....now that's progress!

Edited by guticur 2010-08-09 7:00 PM
2010-08-09 9:06 PM
in reply to: #3031088

User image

Veteran
Keiren - 2010-08-10 4:45 AM Hi everyone,
Congrats on Steelman Jen & Fernando. It was an Olympic, right? Where was it held? Congrats on breaking your goals, Jenny. I did the DQ Kings Grant Tri. It really was a last minute decision. There were about 200 entrants. As with the other DQ events I've attended, it was very well run. It was a beautiful day which, I'm sure, helped my performance. I needed some confidence building after the NJ Tri. I felt good on the swim (even though the pond was gross). At the end I got kicked in the mouth, which stunned me and slowed me down a little. I felt good on the bike, nice smooth route. Although I didn't walk during the run, I was still very slow (39 min). I need some sort of running plan, I continue to struggle. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Keiren, It's terrible you got kicked (in the Jaw!). Hope there was no damage. How wierd to get kicked at the end. I have heard about kicks, but it always seemed to be at the beginning of a race.
2010-08-09 9:08 PM

User image

Veteran
DebTri - 2010-08-10 4:56 AM Keiren --

Jenny --

Welcome Deb, You'll like it here. It is a great group.
2010-08-09 9:33 PM
in reply to: #3033210

User image

Veteran
guticur - 2010-08-10 4:58 PM Congratulations to all those who raced this weekend. 
Jenny: great job. Your limited training is probably better than any of our "all out" efforts!
I have posted the details of my race at the Race Link page, and some data in my training log, but I wanted to share some thoughts with the group.
I had set the goal of coming in under 3:15, and would be ecstatic if I broke 3 hours. My time was 2:59:10.
When I stopped my watch at the finish line and realized this, I was so happy and proud, specially since it was a much harder race than I expected.
For the past 6 weeks I thought my training had been pretty solid, and I expected to cruise....boy was I wrong! Then today when I saw my rankings (41/44 in age group, 197/231 gender and 267/355 overall), I was disappointed (to be honest)......then I reflected, and like any other human being I rationalized. After work I went for an unwinding jog and rationalized some more. I came up with tons of excuses: Really dedicated athletes sign up for Olys (less newbies like me).....As I came out of the water my HR was 186 so I slowed down......I didn't know the bike course which was hillier than expected......doing 2 loops in the run kind of psyched me out cause I kept thinking "I have to come through here again" etc., etc.,etc.  
As I settle down I'm starting to see it differently. Even though 266 individuals beat me yesterday, I actually beat thousands more that were still in bed or spent the day in the couch watching TV (this is quoted from a great article published in this site). I have gone from feeling like I would die while doing a 5k race last November to were I am now. I have lost almost 30 pounds in the process. Had you asked me a year ago if I could travel 33 miles on my own power in under 3 hours, I would have laughed to death.
This race is actually not only a goal, but a motivation to improve even further (yeah, yeah...I know I suck at running). It also has renewed my appreciation and admiration for all out there that attempt this adventure, yourselves included.
So keep up the good work gang. Barring injury, I have some PRs to take care of in the next year or so.

Fernando
PS: That HIM I thought I would do next year might have to wait a little longer......reality check: Triathlons are tough....those who attempt them are thougher Wink 

Fernando and Jenny:
That is absolutely awsome that both of you came in under 3hrs total time. Great Job! I am very impressed, you both have heart. It pays doesn't it? You are right Fernando, the time comparative to some other racers can be very disheartening at first glance. In and of itself the race times are varied and carry a variety of emotions. However, that is not the focus of our "game". The personal benefits from the outcome of that race (Your race) far outweighs the fact that Wellington, "Macca" or Alexander run a 5:30 mi after 2.4mi swim and a 112mi bike. Those are pros (or other people) racing with a different purpose. The race results I think (If I may be so bold being a newbie) are really a question. That question is," did I accomplish what I needed for me here?"  The answer is most likely, "yes, because I can". I met a lady the other day whos mother raced in over 100 tris, now her grandkids are doing it. She inspired me, Just like all of you. You all inspire me with you stories of "Tri life" Keep em coming>
2010-08-10 5:45 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Hi Deb! I'm so glad you decided to join the group! Welcome!

DebTri - 2010-08-09 7:56 AM

Keiren --

Jenny --

Wow - I so envy you and your husband being able to be retired at your age! That's awesome! I'm just a year younger than you, but we got a later start in the kid game, my kids are 9. 11, & 13.... I've been a stay at home mom since our second was born, but I can't see my husband being able to retire for quite some time!

I think Fernando is right, HR during exercise is highly variable person to person, but if you are concerned, it can NEVER hurt to get it checked out by a doctor! I also think it's fairly normal for new runners to have pretty high heart rates when running. After you build more of a running base, you'll probably find it's a little lower.

UNLIKE you, I have NO problem going fast downhill! There's nothing I love more than a good screaming downhill on the bike! I think my max speed in Sunday's race was around 32 mph, and I know I've hit > 40 mph on some long downhills where I normally ride. It's the uphills I have trouble with ! But playing it conservative until you're confident in your bike handling and comfortable going at those higher speeds is definitely the way to go. None of us is making a living at this, it's all for fun and fitness, so ride the way you feel comfortable!

To make your training logs visible to the public, click the "Settings" button at the top of the page. From there, click on the "Training Log Settings" Tab. In Training Log Settings, if you click the "Privacy" tab (actually, I think that's the tab that will be open when you get there....) you can choose to make your training log public. I'm not sure what your issue with races is -- have you filled out race reports for your races? Once you fill out a race report, when you save it, you are given the option to make the report public. If you do that, it will show up in the Race Reports forum, and if your logs are public, a link to the Race Report will show up in your training log, and we can access it there. I hope that helps!!

Again, welcome to the group! It's great to have you!!!

2010-08-10 6:20 AM
in reply to: #3031088

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Keiren - 2010-08-09 7:45 AM

Hi everyone,

Keiren,

Yes, Steelman was an Olympic Distance race - it was held at Lake Nockamixon State Park in PA. Really nice venue for the race!!

So sorry to hear you got kicked in the swim! I've had it happen a time or two in races too - never a pleasant experience! I hope you're okay!

As far as a running plan, all I can say is just that getting better at running takes time.... The best thing I think you can do is to slowly work on increasing your running volume and frequency. I've made solid gains in my running speed over the past year and a half simply by running MORE - most of it at an easy, aerobic pace. For my "maintenance" running over the winter, I was averaging 20 - 25 miles per week. Over the summer I've been > 30 miles per week most weeks, and I'll likely nearly double that by the time I reach my peak training for the marathon. If you were to look at my training logs, you would see that many of my training runs average well over a 10 min/mile pace - but I can run a stand alone 5K at a sub-8:00 min mile pace. Certainly not a blazing fast time compared to "fast" runners, but a lot faster than I was when I started!! The adaptations gained from lots of running miles help me run quite a bit faster in races than in training.

In looking over your logs, it looks to me like for the most part you are running 2 - 3 times per week, somewhere in the range of 2-3 miles per run - does that sound about right? My suggestion would be to begin by adding a 4th run of maybe 2 - 2.5 miles. After you get comfortable running 4x per week, begin lengthening one of your weekly runs. Add maybe one half to one mile per week until you get one of your runs up to the 5 or 6 mile range. Hold steady there for maybe a few weeks, then begin working on lengthening a second run to maybe 4 miles per week.

When you are consistently over 15 miles per week for a couple of months, then you can think about adding some minimal speedwork to your run training. You can start by adding short (30 sec) strides or fartleks, where you just pick up the pace for 30 seconds, then go back to your easy running pace. You can just throw a few of these into some of your weekly runs, probably your short or mid distance runs to begin with. Another type of run training I think is helpful for race preparation is a "progression run", usually done as part of a mid or long distance run. Start out the first third of the run at an easy pace (from the zones presented in this article, up to low zone 2), run the second third at about a zone 3 effort, and final third at zone 4/5 effort. This is good training for helping maintain pace toward the end of a race/training run without the strain that holding that pace for the entire run would cause. One progression run every few weeks would probably be plenty for starters.... But I wouldn't start doing ANY kind of speedwork until you have increased your volume and frequency. Trying to run too fast too soon is how most people end up with running injuries, IMO.

Hope that helps!!!
2010-08-10 6:28 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
guticur - 2010-08-09 7:58 PM

Congratulations to all those who raced this weekend. 

Fernando

Hey Fernando, I don't think you should feel disheartened about your Steelman finish AT ALL!! I think the field in the Olympic race on Sunday was a pretty competitive one.... You never know who's going to show up at any given race - and I think the majority of the Olympic racers at Steelman were pretty serious triathlete! Your race paces at, say, the Philly Insurance Tri Olympic race would have put you much higher in the field than at Steelman, because Philly attracts a lot more first timers than a smaller race like Steelman. I think you did amazingly well for your first Olympic distance race, and in your first season of tri-ing! I know it's hard not to compare your times to the rest of the field, but try to keep it all in perspective and think how far you have come in such a short time! Just think how much faster you'll be next year !!
2010-08-10 8:15 AM

User image

Regular
Marco Island
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Fernando & Jenny --  I am in awe of both of you.  Such an amazing accomplishment and you should both be so proud.  I think many of us suffer from the feelings that we are just not quite good enough.  It's funny how we focus on the small percentage of people who are better than us rather than applauding all that we've accomplished.  I think many triathletes are type A personalities and as such always striving to be the best.  A good thing, but can sometimes get in the way of what's really important.  Again, you guys did awesome and I hope I have as much success when I attempt an Oly distance. 

Jenny --  I liked the suggestions you outlined for Keiren and I'm going to incorporate them into my training.  Keiren and I sound like we are very much in the same place when it comes to the run.  I have a question for the group... What do you think of  the run/walk approach vs. consistence pace when doing daily workouts?  I totally get that to be a better runner you need to run a lot, but I'm wondering if one strategy helps build endurance better than another, or does it not matter.  For example, let's say I'm going to go out and run 3 miles.  Now for me, if I want to run the entire time I have to keep it at a pace of ~12/min which takes about 36 minutes.  If I do 2 min run/1 min walk for the 3 miles I finish more quickly, not by much but a few minutes, and my average pace is about 11 min.  I prefer the run/walk because I think I push myself harder knowing there's a break coming up shortly.  So I'm curious to see what you guys think.

Edited by DebTri 2010-08-10 8:33 AM
2010-08-10 10:04 AM

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
guticur - 2010-08-09 6:58 PM Congratulations to all those who raced this weekend. 

Fernando

Man, we're in the exact same place.  I felt exactly the same way after my last sprint tri.  The course was really, really, tough (lots of big hills).  I finished a lot lower in my age group than I expected but then I thought about it and a lot of newbies probably skipped this tri because of how difficult it was so I was competing against more seasoned triathletes (and in retrospect, they looked like it).  But I was still disappointed because I didn't finish higher.  I had to remind myself of the same thing, that a year ago I thought jogging for 30 mins was crazy.  Now, that I'm almost done training for my olympic tri, I see 45 min jog on my training plan and I think it's an easy day.  I have to keep reminding myself that just being out here doing this thing and finishing is an accomplishment.  I read that article too.  We are the few that made the choice to get out and do something and to be active. 

Just thought I'd let you know you're not alone.  It's hard when you're competitive not to move up the standings but we've need to remember how far we've come.  I'm way ahead of the old me. 
2010-08-10 10:09 AM

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
Update on swimming boredom.  After I made that post, I found a couple of swimming interval workouts and they have been exactly what I needed.  They break up the monotony of just going back and forth, back and forth.  My total workout distance has gone up since then because I'm swimming faster and I'm more focused.  Highly recommend finding an interval workout plan if you're looking for a way to stop the boredom.

2010-08-10 10:16 AM
in reply to: #3033942

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
DebTri - 2010-08-10 8:15 AM Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Fernando & Jenny --  I am in awe of both of you.  Such an amazing accomplishment and you should both be so proud.  I think many of us suffer from the feelings that we are just not quite good enough.  It's funny how we focus on the small percentage of people who are better than us rather than applauding all that we've accomplished.  I think many triathletes are type A personalities and as such always striving to be the best.  A good thing, but can sometimes get in the way of what's really important.  Again, you guys did awesome and I hope I have as much success when I attempt an Oly distance. 

Jenny --  I liked the suggestions you outlined for Keiren and I'm going to incorporate them into my training.  Keiren and I sound like we are very much in the same place when it comes to the run.  I have a question for the group... What do you think of  the run/walk approach vs. consistence pace when doing daily workouts?  I totally get that to be a better runner you need to run a lot, but I'm wondering if one strategy helps build endurance better than another, or does it not matter.  For example, let's say I'm going to go out and run 3 miles.  Now for me, if I want to run the entire time I have to keep it at a pace of ~12/min which takes about 36 minutes.  If I do 2 min run/1 min walk for the 3 miles I finish more quickly, not by much but a few minutes, and my average pace is about 11 min.  I prefer the run/walk because I think I push myself harder knowing there's a break coming up shortly.  So I'm curious to see what you guys think.

I've seen improvement in my run times by jogging at a comfortable pace and then at different points I'll increase speed for a certain distance or time.  It's what you're talking about but instead of walking I just jog slowly.  I noticed that after the faster runs, my base jogging speed will naturally increase for a bit.  It's just interval training really but it has helped my mile average go down.  I was running around a 10/mile and since I've started that I'm down to around 8:30.  I don't know how much of a difference it makes to walk/run versus slow jog/fast run if one is better than another.  Whatever works, right?
2010-08-10 10:33 PM
in reply to: #3033734

User image

jsnowash - 2010-08-10 7:20 AM
Keiren - 2010-08-09 7:45 AM Hi everyone,
Keiren, Yes, Steelman was an Olympic Distance race - it was held at Lake Nockamixon State Park in PA. Really nice venue for the race!! So sorry to hear you got kicked in the swim! I've had it happen a time or two in races too - never a pleasant experience! I hope you're okay! As far as a running plan, all I can say is just that getting better at running takes time.... The best thing I think you can do is to slowly work on increasing your running volume and frequency. I've made solid gains in my running speed over the past year and a half simply by running MORE - most of it at an easy, aerobic pace. For my "maintenance" running over the winter, I was averaging 20 - 25 miles per week. Over the summer I've been > 30 miles per week most weeks, and I'll likely nearly double that by the time I reach my peak training for the marathon. If you were to look at my training logs, you would see that many of my training runs average well over a 10 min/mile pace - but I can run a stand alone 5K at a sub-8:00 min mile pace. Certainly not a blazing fast time compared to "fast" runners, but a lot faster than I was when I started!! The adaptations gained from lots of running miles help me run quite a bit faster in races than in training. In looking over your logs, it looks to me like for the most part you are running 2 - 3 times per week, somewhere in the range of 2-3 miles per run - does that sound about right? My suggestion would be to begin by adding a 4th run of maybe 2 - 2.5 miles. After you get comfortable running 4x per week, begin lengthening one of your weekly runs. Add maybe one half to one mile per week until you get one of your runs up to the 5 or 6 mile range. Hold steady there for maybe a few weeks, then begin working on lengthening a second run to maybe 4 miles per week. When you are consistently over 15 miles per week for a couple of months, then you can think about adding some minimal speedwork to your run training. You can start by adding short (30 sec) strides or fartleks, where you just pick up the pace for 30 seconds, then go back to your easy running pace. You can just throw a few of these into some of your weekly runs, probably your short or mid distance runs to begin with. Another type of run training I think is helpful for race preparation is a "progression run", usually done as part of a mid or long distance run. Start out the first third of the run at an easy pace (from the zones presented in this article, up to low zone 2), run the second third at about a zone 3 effort, and final third at zone 4/5 effort. This is good training for helping maintain pace toward the end of a race/training run without the strain that holding that pace for the entire run would cause. One progression run every few weeks would probably be plenty for starters.... But I wouldn't start doing ANY kind of speedwork until you have increased your volume and frequency. Trying to run too fast too soon is how most people end up with running injuries, IMO. Hope that helps!!!

Thanks so much, Jenny! I appreciate your taking the time to answer me. I think I am going to really start concentrating on the run. I like the plan you outlined and am going to give it a try. Hopefully I can make some progress before my next tri in September. I've never trained with a HRM but it might be very helpful to me. I know when I run on the treadmill I tend to have a heart rate that peaks at about 175 at 2 miles. That is at a 11:30 pace. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

2010-08-11 8:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Zone 3 run today. Bike yesterday. Just cruising along.
2010-08-12 8:22 AM
in reply to: #3038516

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
10 days until Iron Girl.

Today we got kicked out of the pool for a thnderstorm. I had only done 200 yards at that point.
Tonight I plan on a 6 mile run.

Upcoming runs/races:

8/14 - scheduled 8-10 mile long run
8/22 - Iron Girl
8/28 - womens 5K
9/4 - KofC 10K maybe??

I am not committed to running Knights of Columbus 10K yet but if I dont race it, I have to volunteer since our group is a sponsor.

Question:
Iron Girl is on Sun 8/22 and I am also training for my half mary on 10/16.
Being that this week long run is a week before IG, do I just shorten my long run or still do it? Its suppose to be 8-10 but I wouldn't go more than 8. Should I go even shorter?
Tonight I have a 5-6 mile run with my group.

Lovey

2010-08-12 9:39 AM
in reply to: #3039033

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Lovey - 2010-08-12 9:22 AM

Question:
Being that this week long run is a week before IG, do I just shorten my long run or still do it? Its suppose to be 8-10 but I wouldn't go more than 8. Should I go even shorter?

Lovey

I think it depends on a couple of factors....

1) Is one of these races (Iron Girl or the Half Marathon) a higher priority for you?

2) How long does it take you to recover from an 8-10 mile run?

I can tell you what I did prior to Steelman - I did an almost 15 mile run one week out from Steelman, but that was because a) My marathon prep is/was higher priority than my results at Steelman; and b) I knew that if I did the 15 miler at an easy pace, I could recover fairly quickly, at least to the degree that I felt I needed to and still do reasonably okay at Steelman. Had Steelman been the higher priority race, I probably wouldn't have done a 15-miler one week out...

So - I would say that if Iron Girl is your higher priority race and/or you feel it might take you more than, say, 2 or 3 days to recover from the long run, then shorten the long run. If the Half Marathon is higher priority and/or you think you can recover quickly from the long run, then keep the run as long as you can. You might be able to do the long run, then take it easy the rest of the week to taper for Iron Girl, and pick your training for the half marathon back up when Iron Girl is finished.

Hope that helps!

2010-08-12 12:01 PM
in reply to: #3039323

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
jsnowash - 2010-08-12 10:39 AM

Lovey - 2010-08-12 9:22 AM

Question:

Lovey

I think it depends on a couple of factors....

1) Is one of these races (Iron Girl or the Half Marathon) a higher priority for you?

I can tell you what I did prior to Steelman - I did an almost 15 mile run one week out from Steelman, but that was because a) My marathon prep is/was higher priority than my results at Steelman; and b) I knew that if I did the 15 miler at an easy pace, I could recover fairly quickly, at least to the degree that I felt I needed to and still do reasonably okay at Steelman. Had Steelman been the higher priority race, I probably wouldn't have done a 15-miler one week out...

So - I would say that if Iron Girl is your higher priority race and/or you feel it might take you more than, say, 2 or 3 days to recover from the long run, then shorten the long run. If the Half Marathon is higher priority and/or you think you can recover quickly from the long run, then keep the run as long as you can. You might be able to do the long run, then take it easy the rest of the week to taper for Iron Girl, and pick your training for the half marathon back up when Iron Girl is finished.

Hope that helps!

Both are high priorities but I guess Iron Girl is a little higher because I struggle on the swim and have to make sure I prep as well as I can for it. This won’t be my first half marathon but it will likely be my most challenging.

Last Saturday, I did a ten-miler, 18 mile bike ride on Sunday; weights on Monday, then Tuesday I swam in the morning and did a 4 mile run in the evening on which I struggled. But after resting yesterday (Wed) and doing only yoga, I am feeling good today.

I am scheduled to run 3- 6 tonight and 8-10 on Saturday. Maybe I can split the difference and do 6 miles tonight and 6 miles on Saturday?

After last year disastrous results, I don’t want anything to interfere with Iron Girl.
Splitting the difference or shortening the long run might be prudent and then I can focus on the half marathon after Iron Girl.

It did help!

Lovey

Edited by Lovey 2010-08-12 12:01 PM
2010-08-12 8:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Hi gang. Forced rest day today (on call) and I might not be able to train tomorrow since I'm traveling to west coast Undecided. I won't be posting for the next few days, but I will be exercising. No swim I think, mainly run and some bike. I will update logs when I get back and catch up with the rest of you. Good luck to those that have upcoming races!.
2010-08-16 2:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Race day on Sunday. I did shorten my long run to 5 miles. I did the final group ride on the course on Sunday. I rode it 10 minutes faster than I did the week before. It was the first training ride I did with a group. I usually ride by myself or with one other person.

Today is a rest day. I really don't know how to really taper as I wasn't following a specific training plan.

My runs were based on my half marathon training plan and I just shortened my 8-10 mile long run the week before race day (that was Saturday).
My bike training is my own plan of 2x a week, once on the course and another shorter weekly ride or spin class whichever my schedule allowed.
My swimming was a swim training class 2x a week and I added a third swim following the Swim Zero to One Mile program. Never got to a mile nonstop though.

My plan this week is
Mon - rest
Tue - AM swim class (per instructor: open water similation in the pool) /
Wed - bike easy 10 miles (easy terrain) / run a slow easy 3 miles
Thu - AM swim class (per instructor: open water similation in the pool)
Fri - run a slow easy 3 miles, (run Thursday instead and rest Fri ??)
Sat - rest
Sun - RACE DAY

Thoughts on my taper week?

Lovey
2010-08-18 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3046521

User image

Veteran
Lovey - 2010-08-17 12:26 PM Race day on Sunday. I did shorten my long run to 5 miles. I did the final group ride on the course on Sunday. I rode it 10 minutes faster than I did the week before. It was the first training ride I did with a group. I usually ride by myself or with one other person. Today is a rest day. I really don't know how to really taper as I wasn't following a specific training plan. My runs were based on my half marathon training plan and I just shortened my 8-10 mile long run the week before race day (that was Saturday). My bike training is my own plan of 2x a week, once on the course and another shorter weekly ride or spin class whichever my schedule allowed. My swimming was a swim training class 2x a week and I added a third swim following the Swim Zero to One Mile program. Never got to a mile nonstop though. My plan this week is Mon - rest Tue - AM swim class (per instructor: open water similation in the pool) / Wed - bike easy 10 miles (easy terrain) / run a slow easy 3 miles Thu - AM swim class (per instructor: open water similation in the pool) Fri - run a slow easy 3 miles, (run Thursday instead and rest Fri ??) Sat - rest Sun - RACE DAY Thoughts on my taper week? Lovey

That looks like a great taper. I would watch the intensity on the swims as you get closer to your race (esp Thurs and I don't know how intense the AM swim class is) and personally I would leave the run on Fri (because I get nervous and need something to do) but it depends how you are feeling regarding rest period on Wed. Are you going to need two days rest? If so maybe even shorten the run to 2mi and get the two days rest with focus on nutrition before your race. That last day for me is my mental day. I go over the race course,my layout for T1,T2, Nutrition the week before, the night before etc...

Lovey, have a great race.

Edited by StrayDog 2010-08-18 12:04 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  

of 32