Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 150

2011-01-05 1:08 PM
in reply to: #3279144

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
Mellissa - 2011-01-05 9:11 AM Greetings friends! Finally getting back into real life after a whirlwind of family crisis, holiday excitement, and travel. I've been able to keep up with my swimming (and trying desperately to do those kick drills Smile) and running in spite of uncooperative snow, ice, and unusually cold temps! I am considering backing out of my HIM (April 2) because of the bike... I've had to do almost all of my training on a spin bike, and still have no means of replacing my bike (stolen months ago). My husband is laid off again so even "inexpensive" bikes on craigslist and such are not an option. Somehow we don't know anybody with an old bike sitting around in the garage or anything!!!!

I'll keep up with the plan and keep you all posted. It will work out one way or another!

Melissa, that is terrible! I am sorry that happened. Where do you live? Maybe we can find you something. PM me if you want to keep it private.

2011-01-05 2:16 PM
in reply to: #3277486

User image

New user
Gallatin, TN
gabrelsj - 2011-01-04 3:05 PM

i plan on doing gct as well.  i did one sprint last year.  i am very nervous about nutrition.  everything i have used seems to give me trouble.

What have you been trying for nutrition? I generally haven't used anything other than rasberry gu's and some sports drink to this point. I still have to do some experimenting with nutrition on the longer workouts.
2011-01-05 8:08 PM
in reply to: #3280155

User image

Veteran
bill2059 - 2011-01-05 2:16 PM
i plan on doing gct as well.  i did one sprint last year.  i am very nervous about nutrition.  everything i have used seems to give me trouble.
What have you been trying for nutrition? I generally haven't used anything other than rasberry gu's and some sports drink to this point. I still have to do some experimenting with nutrition on the longer workouts.

gus and gels make my stomach cramp.  i am going to try all liquid: heed and perpetuem next on my long days.
2011-01-05 8:37 PM
in reply to: #3279144

User image

Regular
Alameda, CA
Mellissa - 2011-01-05 7:11 AM Greetings friends! Finally getting back into real life after a whirlwind of family crisis, holiday excitement, and travel. I've been able to keep up with my swimming (and trying desperately to do those kick drills Smile) and running in spite of uncooperative snow, ice, and unusually cold temps! I am considering backing out of my HIM (April 2) because of the bike... I've had to do almost all of my training on a spin bike, and still have no means of replacing my bike (stolen months ago). My husband is laid off again so even "inexpensive" bikes on craigslist and such are not an option. Somehow we don't know anybody with an old bike sitting around in the garage or anything!!!!

I'll keep up with the plan and keep you all posted. It will work out one way or another!

Geez, that is rough. I'm sorry to hear about all of that. Like TTMA said, maybe someone on the site could help you out by lending you their bike (or perhaps they have an in with a LBS). Or perhaps you might be able to rent one for the event, if you feel your cycling is good enough to cover the 56miles.

I like your spirit with the whole thing, well done!
2011-01-05 8:39 PM
in reply to: #3280922

User image

Regular
Alameda, CA
gabrelsj - 2011-01-05 6:08 PM

gus and gels make my stomach cramp.  i am going to try all liquid: heed and perpetuem next on my long days.

How do you guys test this out during your training? Usually I'll train in the morning and not eat anything except for some gels or a gu to see how my stomach reacts to it on an empty stomach. Does this sound correct? So far I have found that my body doesn't mind anything I give it. Except a banana causes me some issues on runs sometimes.

I'm curious to hear other peoples methods for testing out products during training.
2011-01-05 9:15 PM
in reply to: #3052895

User image

Thanks for the support! Tri, I'm going to PM you. I have friend with a bike I can use for the HIM, but just for that weekend.

2011-01-05 10:31 PM
in reply to: #3281070

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
What city are you in?  PM me
2011-01-06 7:46 AM
in reply to: #3280996

User image

Veteran
Washington D.C.
jaegee - 2011-01-05 9:39 PM

How do you guys test this out during your training? Usually I'll train in the morning and not eat anything except for some gels or a gu to see how my stomach reacts to it on an empty stomach. Does this sound correct? So far I have found that my body doesn't mind anything I give it. Except a banana causes me some issues on runs sometimes.

I'm curious to hear other peoples methods for testing out products during training.

I've been testing out what nutrition works for me by simply trying different varieties week by week.  One day or one run is not enough for me to determine if something is going to work (or not work) for me.  For example, for one week I'll have a CliffShot before swim workouts, I'll eat a banana before my bike workout and then about an hour into it I'll eat a Cliff bar, before a run I'll eat a Cliff bar and bring a gel for my turn around point on long runs.  Every day and at the end of the week I document in my training journal how I felt overall and if I noticed any differences in performance or discomfort such as cramps or heartburn.  Then the following week I change it up by eating different things (i.e. apples and power bars) and trying different gels (i.e. Gu and Hammer).  Over the past couple months I've found eating bananas and power bars before workouts upset my stomach whereas Cliff bars and apples have seemed to work well for me.  I try to stick to low glycemic index foods before workouts as well to prevent an upset stomach while training.
2011-01-06 9:21 AM
in reply to: #3281489

User image

mrfranks_84 - 2011-01-06 7:46 AM

I've been testing out what nutrition works for me by simply trying different varieties week by week.  One day or one run is not enough for me to determine if something is going to work (or not work) for me.  For example, for one week I'll have a CliffShot before swim workouts, I'll eat a banana before my bike workout and then about an hour into it I'll eat a Cliff bar, before a run I'll eat a Cliff bar and bring a gel for my turn around point on long runs.  Every day and at the end of the week I document in my training journal how I felt overall and if I noticed any differences in performance or discomfort such as cramps or heartburn.  Then the following week I change it up by eating different things (i.e. apples and power bars) and trying different gels (i.e. Gu and Hammer).  Over the past couple months I've found eating bananas and power bars before workouts upset my stomach whereas Cliff bars and apples have seemed to work well for me.  I try to stick to low glycemic index foods before workouts as well to prevent an upset stomach while training.

For me it is a lot of trial and error. I don't think I'd be able to eat an energy bar during my workout. I do ok with Sharky's and Honey Stinger gummies. For marathons I used to make salt caramels with coconut water and crushed nuts. (Salt, fat, electrolytes, protein). Definitely open for suggestions-I eat very clean most of the time so it can be tough to find natural/un or less processed alternatives.
2011-01-06 9:32 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Almost got hit again on my bike.  Just had my front wheel trued from the last time I had to put the bike down to not get hit.  Arghhhhh.
2011-01-06 11:53 AM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Nutrition: cheap alternatives to gels are raisins or bananas. Raisins are small and easy to carry. The best time to try new nutrition products is during your long workouts of the week. You might want to start trying the stuff they will offer on the course at your race, and see how that works for you. If it's Gatorade and a popular gel, you will be able to get those both at the grocery store, which makes life a bit more convenient.

2011-01-06 3:20 PM

User image

mmmm raisins lol

got my spin class in, and an easy swim. life is good.
2011-01-06 3:23 PM
in reply to: #3282903

Expert
I love raisins.  If you live near a trader joes, get their organic thompson seedless raisins.  Few things are perfect, but these are.  They taste like a gift from the sun god
2011-01-06 4:23 PM

Expert
Just met with my running coach to receive my plan/first consultation.  Looks like 4 days a week for the next couple of months, one long day at 10 min miles (12 miles to start, 20 in 6 weeks) then a speed day with my 5K pace intervals and a tempo day with my 10K pace intervals, then a 30min recovery run.  

Guy worked it into my tri plan and it looks awesome.  Looks very intense--even the pace runs have 2mi W/C.  He's a friend of Jack Daniels and is an elite ultramarathoner.  Running a half on Feb 13 and shooting for 1:40-1:45 before my HIM in April.  So excited!
2011-01-06 7:48 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-01-06 8:08 PM
in reply to: #3283391

Expert
adamamelia - 2011-01-06 7:48 PM Are you training for a marathon and/or IM? Wondering why such a jump in your weekly long distance run (12 to 20)?

Glad you're excited and I'm not questoning you, I just wonder what you're up to :-)

All this talk about nutrition, etc... on "long training days" and my longest run right now is 7 miles.....hardly enough time to test nutrition. Biking is indoors and no longer than an hour. I guess I have to wait till it gets warm to get outside and test nutrition :-) Damn MI weather. It's hard to HTFU and go biking in 20 degree weather when the roads are snow covered and wet. Not taking my nice new bike out until the roads are dry and the salt is gone!

Longest swim to date tonight - 2300 meters with some stroke work and interval work. I found some speed in my pull last week and it has made a great difference. Hope everyone is doing well!

So here's what it is.  I'm doing HIM New Orleans in April which is my number one goal.  Since I didn't want to do 20 weeks of training with no good sense of place or accomplishment in between, i registered for a half marathon (mardi gras half feb 13) which I also thought would be good to run the same distance of HIM on a race course in that setting etc.  After my HIM I will be running Berlin Marathon in September with my brother and he is pushing 3hrs and I would love to able to keep up.  So, it's a base within a base in his training.  And I love talking about this, and wouldn't care if you were  Nobody else wants to listen to me so I like it here.

7 miles is a solid run...this distance is probably not optimal for HIM but I really need to improve speed in my running for marathon.  Speed is addictive :P  I understand that also--I was in DC/NY for all of last month and all I could do was run in a windy 20deg weather which was pretty unpleasant.  Biking was out of the question in the windy snowy cold.  

2300m is a VERY solid swim.  That's a bit longer than my longest but i'm finding my groove.  Got to the f-ing pool tonight 10 minutes before it closed (didn't know about holiday hours) and swam 500yd continuous in 9:15 at least.  Most of that was rage about the hours of the pool.

2011-01-06 8:33 PM
in reply to: #3281782

Veteran
Mellissa - 2011-01-06 9:21 AM

For me it is a lot of trial and error. I don't think I'd be able to eat an energy bar during my workout. I do ok with Sharky's and Honey Stinger gummies. For marathons I used to make salt caramels with coconut water and crushed nuts. (Salt, fat, electrolytes, protein). Definitely open for suggestions-I eat very clean most of the time so it can be tough to find natural/un or less processed alternatives.

honestly i have been avoiding testing nutrition.  when i traned for my half marathon i tried gels and gus and i would kill my stomach, sometimes for 24 hrs.  i also cannot eat or drink much of anything for a few hours after a long hard run.  i have so much to figure out but i am going to start with all liquid.
2011-01-06 8:52 PM
in reply to: #3283488

Expert
gabrelsj - 2011-01-06 8:33 PM
Mellissa - 2011-01-06 9:21 AM

honestly i have been avoiding testing nutrition.  when i traned for my half marathon i tried gels and gus and i would kill my stomach, sometimes for 24 hrs.  i also cannot eat or drink much of anything for a few hours after a long hard run.  i have so much to figure out but i am going to start with all liquid.

I've really been avoiding testing nutrition too.  Everything has worked about the same I think but I finally bought like 4 different things.  The only thing I really know is when I hate the taste/texture of something.  I bought powerbar gels which I have found absolutely disgusting texture wise and I can hardly get them down my throat without a gag reflex.  It's unfortunate because thats what they provide in my HIM, but to me it seems like the equivalent of swallowing..you know...so I am a little repulsed by it :/
2011-01-07 7:07 AM

Veteran
Washington D.C.
Lol, nice JG.  I'll have to try the raisins now that I've heard how great they work for you guys.  So my younger brother who runs the full IM (even made it to Kona in October and came in at 9:04:27) is starting workout with me.  I'm in a similar situation as JG now cause he has me running 8mi as my shorter runs and 10-12 on my longer days with him.  Also, my swims went from about 1600m to 3100m.  The amazing thing is I can complete it.  Certainly not as fast but I can get it done.  I'm going to be competing with him in my HIM in June so he's trying to bring me up to snuff so I won't cross the finish line TOO far behind him.  Perhaps after a year's worth of training I'll be crossing it with him in 2012.
2011-01-07 1:25 PM

New user
Gallatin, TN
Still looking for fellow Gulf Coast HIMers. Let me know if you are doign this race. I am almost complete with week 3 of the Prep phase, lost a couple of lbs already!
2011-01-07 5:51 PM

New user

I'm about to sign up for my first HIM.  Just waiting for the registration to open.   I'm both excited and nervous to getting to that start line.   Hoping to get lots of help from you fine folks while I train during the cold winter months.Smile

2011-01-07 6:07 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-01-07 7:15 PM
in reply to: #3285585

Expert
Bouellet - 2011-01-07 5:51 PM I'm about to sign up for my first HIM.  Just waiting for the registration to open.   I'm both excited and nervous to getting to that start line.   Hoping to get lots of help from you fine folks while I train during the cold winter months.Smile

Which one are you going to do? 
2011-01-07 7:15 PM
in reply to: #3285616

Expert
adamamelia - 2011-01-07 6:07 PM My endorphins are high :-)

I'm just so pleased with my run training. I've been on the treadmill for about six weeks now and have made more progress than I could have imagined. I've always been athletic, but these past six weeks, with swimming, spinning and running 6 days a week have put me in some pretty good base shape. I started running around 10 minute miles at 147 HR. Now I'm running 8:20's at around 152 HR. It's unreal. I'm having to stop myself from pushing harder and/or running farther because I don't want to over do it and either burn out or get hurt....but every time out, it's like I get to the end of the 5 or 6 mile run and just want to keep going. My long runs on Sundays are only 6 miles right now, and I can't wait to go longer so I can start to experiment with nutrition. I'm just thrilled :-)

I know some hate treadmills, but I find them quite useful!

I think my bike spinning sessions (I'm new to tri's and bike riding all together) has sped up my run cadence and my neurologic system is starting to learn how to adapt to the faster tolerances.

Enjoy the weekend everyone :-)

With you 100%.  Running can be improved SO much when ya push it.  Congrats  
2011-01-07 11:22 PM

happy weekend my fine friends...

I decided I will not be withdrawing from O'Side California HIM. Yay me! PLEASE let me know if you can help me out with the bike situation, in the mean time I'll keep hanging out on the spin bike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150