BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-02-16 5:39 AM
in reply to: #3357259

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Subject: RE: BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED
Jackie -- My son goes nuts over the Madone's every time I take him to a bike shop.  Glad to see/hear that it's working out OK and something good came out of the crash

2011-02-16 6:12 AM
in reply to: #3256072

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Jackie - awesome looking bike!!! Congrats! Sorry to hear about the cold, but you're out there riding, and that is great. 

I was back at it today - 5.5 mile run @ 8:30 pace. Fast for me, but I was on the treadmill, doing some negative split running. last mile was sub 8:00 pace. I feel GREAT after having done this.

I did something on the way out of the Y today which made me think. As I'm heading out, there was a stack of 2011 Road Race calendars, so I grabbed one thinking "Maybe there's a few other races I can do this spring". It seemed completely normal to do this, and when I got in my car and looked at it, I realized just how much of a mindset change I've gone through in the past several months. I'd have never given that kind of publication a second glance before starting all this training. Its pretty cool to think about.

Any one ever read "Be Iron Fit" by Don Fink? Looking for some good airplane/vacation reading, and am thinking this could be a good read. Any other tri related books to check out?
2011-02-16 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3357336

South Central PA
I did something on the way out of the Y today which made me think. As I'm heading out, there was a stack of 2011 Road Race calendars, so I grabbed one thinking "Maybe there's a few other races I can do this spring". It seemed completely normal to do this, and when I got in my car and looked at it, I realized just how much of a mindset change I've gone through in the past several months. I'd have never given that kind of publication a second glance before starting all this training. Its pretty cool to think about.

I hear you.  I got really excited last night when my brother in law (not a runner) emailed me a link to a race calender for a running club that holds a ton of races about an hour north of us.

And nice wheels Jackie.
2011-02-16 8:32 AM
in reply to: #3357336

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Mike_D - 2011-02-16 7:12 AM Jackie - awesome looking bike!!! Congrats! Sorry to hear about the cold, but you're out there riding, and that is great. 

I was back at it today - 5.5 mile run @ 8:30 pace. Fast for me, but I was on the treadmill, doing some negative split running. last mile was sub 8:00 pace. I feel GREAT after having done this.

Any one ever read "Be Iron Fit" by Don Fink? Looking for some good airplane/vacation reading, and am thinking this could be a good read. Any other tri related books to check out?

I have "17 hours to Glory."  It's a collection of stories of all different type of athletes who have done Kona.  It was my pre IM inspiration read.  You can borrow it. 

2011-02-16 9:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Mike - This is the best selling triathlon book in Amazon. But maybe you already know it. It has a special price at the moment.
http://www.amazon.com/Triathlon-101-John-M-Mora/dp/0880118113

Jackie - your bike is awesome! A guy in my tri team has one like that, it looks even better on the road. But I must say I preferred the picture of your children. They are so cute! Congratulations.

Dan – It’s good to hear from you.

I’ll be borrowing a bike today again, but this time they promised me to adjust it properly. My bike will be here until 15th March. I’ll be in Atlanta and Memphis that week… now I wonder if I should buy it over there myself.

Edited by itziaol 2011-02-16 9:37 AM
2011-02-16 12:15 PM

User image

Athens, GA
Jackie- That ride looks SWEET!. 

So on that note got a ? for you guys.  I have the petals, but have not as of yet gotten cycling shoes (clipless) I just use my eggbeaters wuth cages. What brands, info do you have for me. I have only been thinking about this for like a year and feel I have wigged out on the internet, but still want more info.......  The LBS guys are great and have talked to me a ton about the shoes, but the price range I am looking at (up to $150) is still the low end of the pool. i know that I could probably get a great deal online, but shoes seem to me like something you should try on. There is a Pearl Izumi outlet store near me, but have no idea about their shoes......but could get a steal there.......thoughts?

2011-02-16 12:54 PM
in reply to: #3358172

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Ail - 2011-02-16 12:15 PM Jackie- That ride looks SWEET!. 

So on that note got a ? for you guys.  I have the petals, but have not as of yet gotten cycling shoes (clipless) I just use my eggbeaters wuth cages. What brands, info do you have for me. I have only been thinking about this for like a year and feel I have wigged out on the internet, but still want more info.......  The LBS guys are great and have talked to me a ton about the shoes, but the price range I am looking at (up to $150) is still the low end of the pool. i know that I could probably get a great deal online, but shoes seem to me like something you should try on. There is a Pearl Izumi outlet store near me, but have no idea about their shoes......but could get a steal there.......thoughts?

My one and only experiece buying shoes was last month, and I ended up with Specialized tri-vents. I just went by what felt good, as you would with a normal shoe. Also make sure you can fasten them quickly. I think they all come w/ some type of velcro. Some shoes are meant to be worn without socks as well, so note that.  also ask about the sole and how the various stiffnesses affect your pedaling.

Thats all I got
2011-02-16 1:45 PM
in reply to: #3358172

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Ail - 2011-02-16 1:15 PM Jackie- That ride looks SWEET!. 

So on that note got a ? for you guys.  I have the petals, but have not as of yet gotten cycling shoes (clipless) I just use my eggbeaters wuth cages. What brands, info do you have for me. I have only been thinking about this for like a year and feel I have wigged out on the internet, but still want more info.......  The LBS guys are great and have talked to me a ton about the shoes, but the price range I am looking at (up to $150) is still the low end of the pool. i know that I could probably get a great deal online, but shoes seem to me like something you should try on. There is a Pearl Izumi outlet store near me, but have no idea about their shoes......but could get asteal there.......thoughts?

Just go to the LBS and try them all on and if you find the ones you like, just try and find them online.  Go to a couple of stores if you need to. 

2011-02-16 7:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar

Itzia, don’t worry about a little indulgence, that’s what makes all this hard training worth while.

I had one of those days this weekend myself! No one told me that I was supposed to close my mouth when they were shooting Saki into it, at least not for about 23 seconds worth, I felt that the next day on my swim!

Jackie, Nice bike! Great job getting out there and riding when you didn’t feel all that well, most people would stay at home and milk it!

Mike, Nice run pace! I can’t wait to be even partially fast. I did do my longest run yet, 9.26 miles outside, very slow pace, still trying to keep my heart rate below 132. I am fine except when I hit the hills and around my house they are everywhere, small, but lots of them.

I have a friend that used “Be Iron fit” for a training guide to her first HIM last year, she did really well, of course she also qualified for the Boston Marathon her first try?

I hope all my fellow North Easterners are enjoying the heat wave! I plan on getting the bike on the road tomorrow after my swim!! 48 Degrees!

2011-02-16 8:18 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

I heard it may hit *60* on Friday!! I"m SO getting my bike out for a ride! Even if its just around the block! .

2011-02-16 10:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

I’m glad you are enjoying better weather.  I hope you all get to run and ride outside next week. That would be great! Cool

I managed 10Km in the same uphill route of last Wednesday (2Km more).  I felt as if I was dying but the head coach didn’t let me stop until I managed the distance he had set for me today.  I’m so glad he did…

After spending some time with my children I went back to the club and swam 900m.  This time I didn’t stop at all at 25m.  I did it all in series of 50’s.  Swim coach is also becoming harder.  That’s fine… I guess I need the pressure.  If I had been on my own today, I wouldn’t have done half as much.

LOL  It’s embarrassing to be so out of shape compared to all of you guys.  But, what to do?  It’s the way things are at the moment.  Embarassed

Good night everyone!   Laughing

Edited by itziaol 2011-02-17 6:37 AM

2011-02-17 5:03 AM
in reply to: #3359229

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Nice job Itzia!
2011-02-17 7:55 AM

User image

Athens, GA
Good job to all this week! I myself am going to be out of the pool for a week I think. My R cholder is really angry at me, so I will be running a lot more than planned (yeah, boo).  But  I do have some fun news that only you tri nerds will appreciate. 

I have singed up for a swim clinic with Sheila Taormina (she is a gold medalist swimmer and 4x Olympian in 3 different sports- USA) so basically a freak. She also won the ITU Triathlon World Championship in 2004. It is a 4h class both in the pool and in the classroom. I hope that i can get some good tidbits. As a bonus I get her book and possibly a cycling and running clinic. So that should make March fun! 

Enjoy the warm weather up in NE guys!  
2011-02-17 8:15 AM
in reply to: #3359323

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
croixfan - 2011-02-17 5:03 AM Nice job Itzia!

Thank you Curt!  Smile
2011-02-17 8:17 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Class sounds fantastic!!!  Would be so cool to do something like that here. Review when you are done, please!

Found out this AM my local Y is having an indoor semi-Tri on March 5th. Its a 30/30/30 format, meaning you swim for 30 minutes, bike for 30 minutes, and run for 30 mintues, and furthest distance covered is the winner.  Was all ready to sign up when I realized the time conflicted with my 7 year olds last day of basketball so the race idea is out. Would have made for a fun Sat AM workout.
2011-02-17 8:34 AM
in reply to: #3359503

User image

Athens, GA
Mike_D - 2011-02-17 9:17 AM Class sounds fantastic!!!  Would be so cool to do something like that here. Review when you are done, please!

Found out this AM my local Y is having an indoor semi-Tri on March 5th. Its a 30/30/30 format, meaning you swim for 30 minutes, bike for 30 minutes, and run for 30 mintues, and furthest distance covered is the winner.  Was all ready to sign up when I realized the time conflicted with my 7 year olds last day of basketball so the race idea is out. Would have made for a fun Sat AM workout.

Mike - Maybe you should do it the day before or after just to see how you compare.... 

2011-02-18 7:16 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Ail -- I like the idea. Would make for a good training session if nothing else!

Did a 5 mile run this AM at a 8:20 pace (42:10 overall). I'm working now on all my runs being negative splits, and putting together a plan for the 1/2 mary which is a month away. Plan on testing the splits idea on my next long run as well, but that won't be until I get back from vaca.  Probably won't train w/ any regularity while away, but I'm going to try to get some open water swim practice while at the beaches, and the gym on the ship has treadmills, bikes, etc.  Should be fun. need to work off all those buffet grazing calories somehow

Guy at work told me this AM I am his inspiration for trying to lose weight & exercise. He says "I'm aiming to be the Mike D of 2011".  NEVER thought I'd be an inspiration to anyone. Kind of cool  to hear, though .  The whole conversation came up when I mentioned it looked like he had lost some weight.
2011-02-18 12:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Mike -- It's always great when folks notice that you are doing something to improve yourself.  While you're doing it for internal reasons, the external feedback is very uplifting and motivational.

Survived yesterdays workout.  Was traveling this week and hit the gym as soon as I got home.  Swimming / bikiing with a nasty cold is not a good combination.  Have 1.5 weeks left to make it through the full six week program.  Been a fun time.

Did get some positive results on the swimming from what you guys shared.  Managed to keep the arm extended / body long and it seemed to help.  Am having trouble with keeping it extended when I breath.  Tendency is to want to push down.  I'll have to focus on head position and rolling in my next session as I'm sure it's a balance thing.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
2011-02-18 8:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Good job Mike! Enjoy the feedback you are receiving. It’s great that you are able to influence those around you in a positive way. Congratulations and enjoy your holiday!

Curt, you are unstoppable!! To think you had a bad cold… Take care of yourself. I hope you rest and drink plenty of liquids.

Ails, that course sounds excellent! I hope you share a few tips with us.

I was absolutely exhausted last night and decided to take a quick nap before running. I ended up sleeping for hours!! I exercised so much on Wednesday and I hadn’t been able to sleep well at night for a long time… So I think that got the best of me. I woke up early this morning and decided to do a mile on the elliptical; just enough for a shot of endorphins to get me through the day.

Have a great weekend!

Edited by itziaol 2011-02-18 8:16 PM
2011-02-18 8:41 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Finally decided to go to the Dr. after not being able get over this cold and losing my voice. Ended up having an respiratory infection and a sinus infection. Started the antibiotics yesterday. So, unfortunately, no 5K tomorrow and no bike riding this weekend. Might do some weights or easier trainer rides if I start to feel better in a couple days. Not my year for races so far. No Jan 5K, no century, no Feb 5K... oh, well that's the advantage to registering at the last minute, nothing lost. Here's hoping for a March 5K & an April tri & century.

2011-02-19 9:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Hang in there Jackie!

2011-02-19 11:22 AM
in reply to: #3362589

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
jpbis26 - 2011-02-18 8:41 PM

Finally decided to go to the Dr. after not being able get over this cold and losing my voice. Ended up having an respiratory infection and a sinus infection. Started the antibiotics yesterday. So, unfortunately, no 5K tomorrow and no bike riding this weekend. Might do some weights or easier trainer rides if I start to feel better in a couple days. Not my year for races so far. No Jan 5K, no century, no Feb 5K... oh, well that's the advantage to registering at the last minute, nothing lost. Here's hoping for a March 5K & an April tri & century.

Sorry to hear that you’re ill Jackie.  Rest, take your medicines and you’ll be better in no time surprising us with your training.  Take care!  Smile

2011-02-19 5:10 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks guys! If anything being sick has made me appreciate how lucky I am to be in very good health most of the time. Cannot imagine how life must be for people with chronic illness. So happy I'm able to be active most of the time. I've been feeling a lot better since Thursday, but I've been forcing myself NOT to exercise until this cough is gone (do not want a repeat of last Sunday). So I'm pretty antsy and have been cleaning a lot and cooking and freezing a bunch of dinners for nights we're busy. What can I say, I don't really know how to sit still.
2011-02-19 5:28 PM
in reply to: #3363331

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
jpbis26 - 2011-02-19 5:10 PM Thanks guys! If anything being sick has made me appreciate how lucky I am to be in very good health most of the time. Cannot imagine how life must be for people with chronic illness. So happy I'm able to be active most of the time. I've been feeling a lot better since Thursday, but I've been forcing myself NOT to exercise until this cough is gone (do not want a repeat of last Sunday). So I'm pretty antsy and have been cleaning a lot and cooking and freezing a bunch of dinners for nights we're busy. What can I say, I don't really know how to sit still.

LOL you reminded me of this.  Someone posted it on BT.  I'm glad that you are not that sick any more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwXDWVbKy1Q&feature=player_embedded

They are starting to bake muffins here… I think I’d  better take my mountain bike for a ride before it starts to smell delicious.  I still have 2.2Kg to lose for 7th March!

2011-02-19 5:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Today's workout called for a swim and then bike / run scheduled for tomorrow.  With the nice weather, decided to swap the run and the bike.  My 13 year old rode her bike with me on the run.  Was nice to have the company and made it go really quickly.

Swim today went pretty well again.  Still thinking about the video you guys recommended and paying attention to "staying long".  Definitely helping as the times were better and I didn't have to put forward as much effort to get them.  Still a long way to go, but nice to see some progress.

ETA -- Sunday workout done / 90 minutes on cycleops with 5 x 2 minute all out intervals.  Feel fine except for the knees which are a little sore/stiff (had same sensation yesterday after the run).  5 weeks in the book / one week to go!  Program is designed for a race next Sunday so I'll have to decide what I'm going to do that day as there's no race scheduled around here.

Edited by croixfan 2011-02-20 11:03 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38