BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-06-22 7:05 PM
in reply to: RZ0

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED
Speaking of beer I thought this would be an ok choice given the labeling. Not to mention its delicious.

2013-06-22 7:25 PM
in reply to: corbetjackson50

User image

and yes i know bike month was May.
2013-06-22 7:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I got a 2.8 milevrun in on Thursday morning. Ihave family in this weekend but I have a womens 5k tomorrow.
My goal is to finish with as much running as possible regardless if time. My competitive nature may try to take over.
I am running with 3 other ladies, one being my regular run partner.
We will run our race.

My first officiak race since I broke my ankle last year.
Excited!
2013-06-23 6:32 AM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

New user
Originally posted by Lovey

I got a 2.8 milevrun in on Thursday morning. Ihave family in this weekend but I have a womens 5k tomorrow.
My goal is to finish with as much running as possible regardless if time. My competitive nature may try to take over.
We will run our race.

Excited!
go Lovey!!
2013-06-23 6:52 AM

Originally posted by corbetjackson50

and yes i know bike month was May.

But every month is beer month!
2013-06-23 6:55 AM

We will run our race.

Excited!

Turtles everywhere are rooting for you.
Have fun! Break the tape!

2013-06-23 1:24 PM

, Alabama

We will run our race.

Excited!

Hi, how did it go? Hope you had fun!
2013-06-23 9:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

We will run our race.

Excited!

And the turtles patiently wait for the results of the 5K.
2013-06-23 9:08 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well, I woke up this morning and went for my Half Ironman Distance training ride. 56.1 miles with over 900 feet of climbing and managed to keep my heart rate towards the bottom half of Z2. I feel really good about this ride, it was almost 400 feet more climbing than the one I will do in Racine (different type of climbing though) and I really did not struggle like I thought I would. I even put on my shoes afterwards and jogged .25 miles just to see what would happen and I had my legs under me. Still more to do but this certainly helped with my confidence.
2013-06-23 9:43 PM

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Well, I woke up this morning and went for my Half Ironman Distance training ride. 56.1 miles with over 900 feet of climbing and managed to keep my heart rate towards the bottom half of Z2. I feel really good about this ride, it was almost 400 feet more climbing than the one I will do in Racine (different type of climbing though) and I really did not struggle like I thought I would. I even put on my shoes afterwards and jogged .25 miles just to see what would happen and I had my legs under me. Still more to do but this certainly helped with my confidence.

Go get 'em, boss turtle!
My 5K went OK - it was hot and humid (heat index 89). I posted 23:56 on my watch. Official chip time was 23:54 - a 7:41 mile. So I hit my goal, missed my stretch goal by about 30 seconds.
So I guess I earned my post-race beer. (Lager run, remember?)
Now I have to start in on my first sprint tri this year. Was going to do one in Belmar, NJ, but figured out yesterday we'd be out of town. As luck would have it, there's one right where we'll be visiting. So I'm doing the Crabman sprint near Narragansett, RI on July 28.
Tomorrow is strength work.
2013-06-23 10:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area

Great job on the ride and building your confidence. Its amazing you kept you heart rate down.

2013-06-23 10:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by RZ0

Go get 'em, boss turtle!
My 5K went OK - it was hot and humid (heat index 89). I posted 23:56 on my watch. Official chip time was 23:54 - a 7:41 mile. So I hit my goal, missed my stretch goal by about 30 seconds.
So I guess I earned my post-race beer. (Lager run, remember?)
Now I have to start in on my first sprint tri this year. Was going to do one in Belmar, NJ, but figured out yesterday we'd be out of town. As luck would have it, there's one right where we'll be visiting. So I'm doing the Crabman sprint near Narragansett, RI on July 28.
Tomorrow is strength work.

Great race, I wish I could post a 5K time like that. Go get'um for your spirnt.
2013-06-23 10:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area

We will run our race.

Excited!

My first official race was awesome! It was 73 degrees and a little humid but great weather. I started with 3 friends with the understanding that we run our own race. I wanted to stop before the first mile on this long hill but I didn't. I wanted to stop so many times but I kept giving myself pep talks. My friends were ahead of me and eventually I lost them. I kept steady, consistent and I didn't even stop at the water stops since I carry my own water. I even caught and passed one of my friends.

My fastest training run was 15:43 min pace on a 2.5 mile course.
Today I ran a 13:40 min/mile pace! and
I ran the WHOLE way with NO WALK BREAKS! Yeah, me!
2013-06-23 10:43 PM

User image

Veteran

Thats great!! The hill training will do you good for Racine. I did Racine last year and I was really not that well prepaired for the hills, keep it up and your do just fine!

So I went running my new hill course with a friend and something amazing happened, I broke through and pulled an average of 8:45 mile!!!!! Hills and all, it was tough and my friend spent a good portion of the hills helping me. Our deal is that he will help me on the run and I help him on the bike. That way we can build off each other. I'm supper happy with my times and am looking forward to seeing if I can do it again, this time without my friend.

First tri is close enough now that I'm starting to get nervous. So this run will be my last "push it" run till after the race.

Beth
2013-06-24 5:01 AM

We will run our race.

Excited!

My first official race was awesome! It was 73 degrees and a little humid but great weather. I started with 3 friends with the understanding that we run our own race. I wanted to stop before the first mile on this long hill but I didn't. I wanted to stop so many times but I kept giving myself pep talks. My friends were ahead of me and eventually I lost them. I kept steady, consistent and I didn't even stop at the water stops since I carry my own water. I even caught and passed one of my friends.

Yay you, indeed! You showed True Grit - it's so easy to quit, but you fought back. Many congrats!
2013-06-24 5:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Todd that's awesome!!! My tri has over 900 feet of climbs over a 10 mile course. I knew it was bad but now you've got me thinking that its really bad! I needneed to go scope it out.

Correction: The course has 270' of climbs that is much more like it. Haha. My friend whom is a triathlete sent me the wrong info on the course. It is still hilly but not super duper crazy like I was thinking. I do a 6 mile ride out at my parents with 340' of climb so that hopefully is a good place to train for the hills?

Edited by corbetjackson50 2013-06-24 7:24 AM

2013-06-24 9:17 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-06-24 5:00 PM

Watching my friend complete Ironman Louisville is what got me started on this journey. It was pretty awesome! For me it made me step back and take a look at myself and realize I couldn't complete 1/4 of any one event. I too den't know if I will ever do an Ironman distance at least probably in the next 15 years.

Edited by corbetjackson50 2013-06-24 5:02 PM
2013-06-24 8:16 PM

Extreme Veteran

Congrats and what an accomplishment. You also further know exactly how far you can safely push yourself. I also know that you don't have to sit there and wonder if you really needed to walk when you did or if you could have pushed through. I was extremly happy like you at that last tri I did for not walking because it was my first time in a sprint to not give in and walk at least a little. Great job again and good for you. You should be proud and I can safely speak for everyone when I say that we are proud of you.
2013-06-24 8:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Hubbie

First tri is close enough now that I'm starting to get nervous. So this run will be my last "push it" run till after the race.

Beth

Push it, P, P, P, Push it real good! I believe most are old enough and young enough to get the Salt and Pepper reference.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2013-06-24 8:41 PM
2013-06-24 8:30 PM

Veteran
Louisville

Fantastic! We can all always use a confidence booster!

2013-06-24 8:31 PM
in reply to: afischer01

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by afischer01

Now I see why I decided to become a triathlete. Up until yesterday I knew it would make me healthier and stronger. That I would be a better mother, wife, and friend because I would have more energy and feel more confident. What I didn't know about my decision to become a triathlete is that it wouldn't even take competing in a triathlon to feel the impact of this new lifestyle. I have only been at it for a few months, but it has changed my life.

I volunteered yesterday at Ironman CDA. It was the most incredible sports experience of my life. I was helping in the bike area all day, as a bike helper (directing people to the correct row to get their bike) in the morning and a bike catcher (literally is what it sounds like) in the afternoon. Seeing people come up the chute after riding 114 miles was amazing. Most of them had smiles, all of them were sarcastic and funny, and every single last person was having the time of their life. Even through all the pain, they were strong and kept on moving. I can't even remember how many people told me I could have their $6K bike!! "Take it" "Throw it off a cliff" "Get me off this F@*&ing thing". But even those people said it with a smile! And so many jokes were cracked about "Hey, I think I'll go for a little run now" as they literally hobble through the transition arch.

I don't know if I will ever do and Ironman. Being there and seeing all the athletes and determination was inspiring, but I still think they are all crazy!! I am so looking forward to continuing my experience and working toward my first sprint. I picked this group because of the name. I decided to give myself a year to train for my first event because I love the old saying "slow and steady wins the race". I'm taking everything slow to prevent over training and injuring myself. But also because I want to enjoy the process not dread it.

There is a local sprint this weekend here in my town and I am planning on participating next summer. I am excited to go down and volunteer and see how the sprint goes!!

Ashley, this post brought a smile to my face both as a mentor and fellow Triathlete. You know why you are doing what you are and know what you want out of the journey. I think that so many jump head long into this and go 90 to nothing, only to burn out within a year or so. It's funny that you talked about not knowing if you'd ever do an Ironman. I used to think about doing one all the time, like it would be some sort of validation to what I have done. Yesterday on my ride I realized that I enjoyed doing what I'm doing and was unsure if I wanted to put in even more time training and away from my family to do a Full Ironman. It's funny becuase I thought about this when I was the happiest in my ride and it dawned on me that it really only matters to me. I don't have to complete an Ironman to validate anything I have or will do. I still would like to do one but during that ride it became more of a will see what happens, then an I have to do one.

I am also truly impressed by the volunteering that you and so many others do in this group.

By the way, CDA has always been one that I have had my eye on for a full if I did one (it's just looks incredible)
2013-06-24 8:40 PM

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by Hunting TriathleteCorrection: The course has 270' of climbs that is much more like it. Haha. My friend whom is a triathlete sent me the wrong info on the course. It is still hilly but not super duper crazy like I was thinking. I do a 6 mile ride out at my parents with 340' of climb so that hopefully is a good place to train for the hills?

Corbet, time in saddle is just as, if not more important, at this stage for you, as hill training. What I mean is that three fifteen mile rides a week will likely serve you better at your sprint, than two days a week of eight miles of hill training. Add in a brick run to one of those three ride days above and it becomes quit a bit better. Some hill training / interval / speed work each week is good, but saddle time and rides is what helps with bike endurance and overall speed / fatigue in the long run.
2013-06-24 8:43 PM
in reply to: Rnay225

Veteran
Louisville
Congratulations to everyone who raced/trained this weekend! Looks like a lot of good things happened while I was taking a BT break! I did my first "long" run of marathon training which was 5 miles yesterday with my sister. She is also doing a marathon in the fall a couple of weeks before mine so it was nice to suffer together. We went out pretty early and it was already 86 degrees so that was nice and miserable. I was slow but kept moving and made it through. Today is a rest day then back at it in the morning. Love the positivity in here!
2013-06-25 1:04 AM
in reply to: Rnay225

Gold Coast, Australia

I'll add my 0.02 in also, well done to everyone doing so well over the past few days! I've enjoyed reading the posts, as Rennay said, it's so positive in here at the momentSmile. Great to see people pushing the limits a little further each time. I've been doing a bit of pushing of my own, ran 90 minutes on the weekend, it's the last long run before my HM (12 days and counting...) and i'm getting more nervous.

Re; doing an ironman, it's something that's been seeping in to my mind of late. I've never even contemplated one before now, but maybe in a few years? So many steps to take before then.

Ashley, your post really made me smile too.  "Better mother, wife and friend"  pretty well sums up  one of the main motivations  I had for taking up the sport, but the amount of fun and enjoyment I discovered in it is really my main motivation to continue. I suppose I've become more selfish, not lessEmbarassed.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 45